PDA

View Full Version : LOTR Academy Award-Fest


Neverhoodian
03-01-2004, 03:48 AM
LOTR won a grand total of 11 Academy Awards tonight, (or today/this morning for different time zones) including Best Picture.

All I can say is it's about time.

Comments?

the_raven_03
03-01-2004, 03:53 AM
That was AWESOME. They deserved it. And Peter Jackson is the man.

Redwing
03-01-2004, 04:00 AM
FWEE. ^^

About freaking time. And GO THEM. ^___^

wassup
03-01-2004, 04:02 AM
Bah, you posted like 1 second before I did...oh well. :cool:

All I can say is release the Extended Edition!

-=DarkZero=-
03-01-2004, 04:19 AM
My mom was freaking about it, she told me, I told my best friend, both of us, like yelled at her, saying that LOTR sucks compared to the original Star Wars, lol.

ET Warrior
03-01-2004, 04:23 AM
Originally posted by Dante Vandetta.
saying that LOTR sucks compared to the original Star Wars, lol.

....wha wha wha WHAAAAT?!?!?

Sucked? Are you mental? Return of the King is the best movie ever. EVER I tell you. I LOVE star wars, but it in no way dominates over lotr.

I'd say the two are as near equals as can be.

-=DarkZero=-
03-01-2004, 04:39 AM
Return Of The King is the longest f-ing movie ever, I had to wizz so long during that movie, and the screen kept going black, and I thought it was over, Gah.

Boba Rhett
03-01-2004, 04:40 AM
Did you also yell back to her that apples also suck when compared to rulers and that grass also sucks when compared to turn signals?

Wtf? :confused:


Anyways, RotK cleaned house and I couldn't be more happy. :D


Well, unless of course Liv Tyler's dress would have fallen off whilst she was on stage or something but what are the odds, really?

ET Warrior
03-01-2004, 05:08 AM
Originally posted by Dante Vandetta.
Return Of The King is the longest f-ing movie ever, I had to wizz so long during that movie, and the screen kept going black, and I thought it was over, Gah.

I personally thought it was too short. The movie ended and I was just stuck to my seat. I stared in awe, and I was slightly crushed. Because the ride was finally over, and I didn't want it to end.:(

Taos
03-01-2004, 05:54 AM
I'm not really all that surprised. I remember leaving the theater after watching it for the first time thinking it was the best movie I had ever seen.

Elijah
03-01-2004, 07:03 AM
Originally posted by Boba Rhett
Did you also yell back to her that apples also suck when compared to rulers and that grass also sucks when compared to turn signals?
Wow... point well made!!!! LOL!

Astrotoy7
03-01-2004, 07:29 AM
Well done to PJ and his extensive crew. Without a doubt the most ambitious film project ever conceived..... many many things couldve gone *really* wrong, and they didnt, which is a testimony to the cast and crews professionalism and committment. Might I remind everyone that it was made in little ole new zealand, with a native special effects house too, no less.

**Hurrah, Hollywood is dead !**

but all in all, these 3 films have provided this generation with it's equivalent of the SW experience back in 77, if you know what I mean(I was only 2 in 77)....

MTFBWYA

txa1265
03-01-2004, 08:33 AM
While LOTR and Pete Jackson deserve every accolade heaped on them, what happened last night was an Academy so afraid of f-ing up yet again and showing themselves as self-important, out-of-touch elitists who tend oppose anything popular (unless it is 'high-minded') that they instead threw every award posssible at LOTR. And, since M&C was good, it got the scraps.

Mike

Astrotoy7
03-01-2004, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by txa1265
....what happened last night was an Academy so afraid of f-ing up yet again and showing themselves as self-important, out-of-touch elitists who tend oppose anything popular (unless it is 'high-minded')....

Mike

so true..so true

One thing Ive always admired about George Lucas was how he stuck it to Hollywood by refusing to succumb to the whims of the major studios......good on you George !

MTFBWYA

Hermie
03-01-2004, 09:18 AM
all party!!
:monkey4: :cheers: :bounc4: :rddance: :yeldance: :sheepdanc :band1

great av Neverhoodian!!

Crow_Nest
03-01-2004, 09:35 AM
Wow! They got way more than fellowship of the ring (5 or 4 awards only). :cool:

Peter is da man!

Druid Bremen
03-01-2004, 09:36 AM
Right... Giving all credit to Peter Jackson. So, Tolkien is just a heap of dung? :xp: Just kidding lol.

IG-64
03-01-2004, 09:36 AM
w00tage! It tied Ben Hur and Titanic with 11 wins!

Titanic was overrated but Ben Hur was massive.

RotK deserved it, and so did FotR, and TTT, but we can't have it all, I guess.

anyways, W00TAGE!
http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/040229/040229_jackson_hmed_9p.hmedium.jpg

jokemaster
03-01-2004, 11:03 AM
Ladies and gentlemen for the first time in Oscar history the Best Picture Oscar has gone to a fantasy/sci-fi movie.






And they say you can't accomplish anything with blackmailing.
*throws bunch of pictures to trash*
Also, IMO this is the funniest Oscar show I've ever seen. Especially Billy Crystal, Will Ferrel & Jack Black, and Adrien Brody.

edlib
03-01-2004, 11:08 AM
Good job!

But I saw a sweep coming after the 3rd award they received. And after they grabbed the Best Song catagory I knew they had it in the bag... I almost didn't stay up.

I'm a little disturbed with myself about how excited I got seeing Liv Tyler in her really nerdy-looking librarian glasses... yet another fetish of mine that I was previously unaware of that I will have to someday atone for in therapy. ;)

toms
03-01-2004, 11:12 AM
the number ofd awards becomes pretty meaningless as a lot of them are considered "lesser" awards such as cosutme design. Not that LOTR didn't deserve to win them and win big. However I think the awards represebt the acheivement of the whole trilogy rather than just the last film... which is as it should be.

Bill Murray deserved to win for Lost in Translation (though mystic river rocks too!), and there is no way ROTK should have got best song (but it deserved best score).

Renee Zellweger didn't deserve best supporting actress for Cold Mountain, as she was just a total Calamity Jane carricature... I thought Mirranda Otto should have got it for Eoywn.

I'm assuming Kill Bill will get its awards for best film, soundtrack, song, actress and supporting actor next year after the second part comes out.

My LOTR trilogy CD Score just popped through the letterbox so i'm off to listen to the first part...:D

BongoBob
03-01-2004, 12:14 PM
BOUT FREAKIN TIME!

This movie was the best theatrical accomplishment. Ever. Period.

I think I will quote Rhett when the movie came back...
Originally posted by Rhett...
I have just returned...

FROM THE GREATEST THEATRICAL FEAT I WILL EVER SEE!!!

It's kinda depressing to know that.


I can't believe I remembered that.

:D

txa1265
03-01-2004, 12:46 PM
We have seen great books made into terrible films. Time and time again.

We generally see mediocre books made into mediocre movies.

We sometimes see decent books made into really good movies.

But it is so great to see a classic epic such as LOTR - which will be remembered into history - made into such a greatly produced, finely acted, and tremendously directed epic film event.

I don't care about the awards - it is great that these films got made - and hopefully these awards will help other visions get put in motion - rather than just people trying to knock-off on the LOTR 'magic' as they had done with the success of Star Wars and Jaws in the 70's.

Mike

Neverhoodian
03-01-2004, 02:47 PM
Another thing moviemakers can learn from LOTR is the fact that the team didn't cut any corners in the making of the films. Not once did I ever think "that looks like a " or "that's not REAL chain mail." The reason being: it WAS real chain mail. They were as authentic as possible for props, costumes, weapons and miniatures.

Another reason why the films are so successful is the fact that it was a terrific balance of special effects and character building. Of course, special effects are always entertaining, but if there's no character development, the movie seems stilted and shallow. LOTR gave us the best of both worlds. When the movie ended, I felt like I was saying goodbye to a close group of friends.

[I]originally posted by Herminator 64
great av Neverhoodian!!

Thanks. I made it. The monkey is one of my favorite Weebl and Bob characters.:D

DarkLord60
03-01-2004, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by Dante Vandetta.
My mom was freaking about it, she told me, I told my best friend, both of us, like yelled at her, saying that LOTR sucks compared to the original Star Wars, lol.

I think someone is in denial.

rick ulo 11103
03-01-2004, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by ET Warrior
I personally thought it was too short. The movie ended and I was just stuck to my seat. I stared in awe, and I was slightly crushed. Because the ride was finally over, and I didn't want it to end.:(


OMG, thats how i feel at the end of a good book, sometimes i even cry (yes im a sissy), not because its a sad story, because its a great book and when it ends, asneverhoodian put it, its like loosing a good friend.

ExcelsioN
03-01-2004, 06:04 PM
Woah...11, thats a lot. LOTR:ROTK was definatley one of the best, if not the best movie I've ever seen. It definatley deserved every single one of those awards.

W00tage for Peter Jackson...and JRR Tolkein!

toms
03-02-2004, 11:15 AM
I wouldn't say ROTK was the best film i have ever seen.... but the trilogy as a whole was a magnificent accomplishment (captured the essence of the books without dumbing them down, but converted them to filmable) and has to be the best, most consistent trilogy of all time.

The only ones that can compare are Star Wars, Godfather & Dollars trilogies... and each of those has a weak link.

I still prefer the first one (extended) and two towers (extended) to ROTK, but i guess that might change when they release the 5hr version on DVD later in the year.

Maybe this will lead to a few other "unfilmable" books being attempted. It shows that what you need to do is devote the time, money and effort needed rather than just trying to squeeze the book into a short genre movie.
THe hobbit, Dune, His dark materials, Ender's Game strike me as books that could do with the same sort of adaption. I'm sure there are others.

IG-64
03-02-2004, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by toms
I wouldn't say ROTK was the best film i have ever seen.... but the trilogy as a whole was a magnificent accomplishment (captured the essence of the books without dumbing them down, but converted them to filmable) and has to be the best, most consistent trilogy of all time.

The only ones that can compare are Star Wars, Godfather & Dollars trilogies... and each of those has a weak link.

I still prefer the first one (extended) and two towers (extended) to ROTK, but i guess that might change when they release the 5hr version on DVD later in the year.

Maybe this will lead to a few other "unfilmable" books being attempted. It shows that what you need to do is devote the time, money and effort needed rather than just trying to squeeze the book into a short genre movie.
THe hobbit, Dune, His dark materials, Ender's Game strike me as books that could do with the same sort of adaption. I'm sure there are others.

You sir, compare too much...

txa1265
03-02-2004, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by toms
Dune After what David Lynch did to it - and the production company hacked out of it ... I dunno if we'll see that.

Mike

ET Warrior
03-02-2004, 03:52 PM
Originally posted by toms
Ender's Game

That one's actually already been confirmed (http://www.frescopictures.com/movies/ender/endersgame_update.html)

toms
03-03-2004, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by txa1265
After what David Lynch did to it - and the production company hacked out of it ... I dunno if we'll see that.

Mike

I know. But that came from attempting to sqeeze it into ONE movie. Lynch ended up with a 6hr film that was then cut to a two hr film. Imagine if they filmed it like LOTR, as 3 2 1/2 hr films. It would rule.

Of course, the Scifi channel basically just did that, and it is surprisingly good. But the lack of budget does stop it reaching it's full potential.

I'm still surprised they haven't decided to film all the Harry Potter books at once. It would seem to be a sure fire success with much less risk than LOTR, but if they keep making them one at a time they are going to have to deal with the kid actors getting older and the fact it will eventually loose it's appeal to kids.

Hermie
03-03-2004, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by Neverhoodian
Another thing moviemakers can learn from LOTR is the fact that the team didn't cut any corners in the making of the films. Not once did I ever think "that looks like a [insert common plastic everyday device here]" or "that's not REAL chain mail." The reason being: it WAS real chain mail. They were as authentic as possible for props, costumes, weapons and miniatures.

not only was it real chainmail, it was only two people who made ALL of it. they sat through the entire making and put little metal rings together. now, they absolutly NO fingerprints on their thumbs and index(?) fingers...

txa1265
03-03-2004, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by toms
I'm still surprised they haven't decided to film all the Harry Potter books at once. It would seem to be a sure fire success with much less risk than LOTR, but if they keep making them one at a time they are going to have to deal with the kid actors getting older and the fact it will eventually loose it's appeal to kids. Well, the first two have been mega-hits, and pretty decent films as well. And I have heard that the third is the best yet (well, that is true for the books as well, so perhaps it isn't surprising)

The difficulty in any series around kids is that no two kids age alike and that making big movies in sequence based on their natural aging is a difficult feat. The HP books are 1 year spaces, but the movies are taking at least a year - tough squeeze. Looking at the trailers, you can see how each kid is hitting their teen years diffierently.

But then, they have switched Dumbledore, and I suppose all of the others will be swapped out before the 7th movie hits ... who knows how that will impact things.

Mike

Astrotoy7
03-03-2004, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by txa1265
After what David Lynch did to it - and the production company hacked out of it ... I dunno if we'll see that.

Mike

as a lynchphile I wont say that D word....but Mike, have you seen the resent minseries version of Dune and Children of Dune.....they;re SUPERB !

MTFBWYA

toms
03-04-2004, 12:17 PM
bought them on dvd as they weren't shown over here.
I've watched Dune... it was good, but a bit stagey and hampered by the obvious lack of budget. Haven't got around to watching Children of Dune yet.

But even they are perfect examples of the same thing as LOTR... there are some books that JUST CANT be compressed into one film. Hopefully with the success of LOTR producers might be willing to give a few more of them the time they deserve.