PDA

View Full Version : Sam and Max Cancellation Petition

guybrush guy
03-03-2004, 09:09 PM
To whom it may concern
recently I have received notice of the cancellation of Sam and max 2. this is extremely upsetting to myself and all other adventure gamers.
recently I have maid a petition to show Lucas arts that Sam and max 2 will sell. please, I'm begging you get the word out. let people know that you want Sam and Max 2
http://www.petitiononline.com/LACOSAM/petition.html

If possible send this to eveyone you know and mean every..host it on your website. even on a diffrent forum.
once agin please sign it..it will only take 2 seconds of your time.

if possible could the link to the site of the petition be poseted on the main mixnmojo site..it would get better recegnition therew there

Laserschwert
03-03-2004, 11:45 PM
The first thing before signing the petition (of course I did that) was writing a mail to the LucasArts PR-department... here' what I wrote:

Hello, LucasArts.

Today I read the news that the eagerly awaited "Sam & Max - Freelance Police" has been cancelled, and I just want to let you know that this is really a huge desaster, not only for adventure fans, but for the PC-gaming world in general. Right now, in a time when the adventure genre is reappearing after a long time of absence, "Sam & Max" had the absolute potential to drastically increase the genre's momentum. A brief look at games like "Runaway", "Broken Sword 3" or "The Westerner" (and their smashing scorings at game-magazines around the world) shows that the adventure-genre is in fact BACK. And after a (to put it mildly) MODEST chain of console-ports, that solely relied on the "Star Wars" franchise, giving LucasArts' original characters a comeback - which not only the fans of the classics would've appreciated -, would have proved that LucasArts CAN still create hits like in its "golden years", which were the 90s, with "Monkey Island", "Day of the Tentacle", "Full Throttle", "The Dig" and of course "Sam & Max". But lately LucasArts has lost its spark... smash-hits like "Jedi Outcast" or "Knights of the Old Republic" and the upcoming "Republic Commando" got developed by third-party companies...

LucasArts appears to resign and play safe by just publishing. The in-house team simply doesn't get a chance to make up for the "Full Throttle 2"-debacle and "Sam & Max - Freelance Police" would have been this chance. Gamers and the press alike were excited about this gem that could've been the Messiah of the adventure-genre... and now you cancelled it because you're afraid it would be rejected by the gamers?

I know, with the upcoming "Star Wars: Episode 3" you will have enough possibilites for more franchise-"crap"... (sorry about the choice of words), but as much as I loved "Star Wars", I loved Sam & Max, Guybrush, Elaine, Ben, Bernard, Hoagie and Laverne far better... at least think about the industry and stop trying to play safe... for crying out loud, you're LucasArts! You created "The Secret of Monkey Island"... you are geniuses... well... you WERE...

But I guess that drain has dried out.

Yours sincerely,
Jan Hofmeister

What do you think?

elTee
03-04-2004, 12:03 AM
I too sent a letter to LucasArts.

(Slightly edited, cos LucasArts made mojo remove the e-mail addresses of certain high-ranking officials and I sent this before then)

"Hi.

Firstly, I'd like to know where Mr. Nelson recieved his information about "current market place realities and underlying economic considerations" which led to the cancellation of Sam & Max 2. Have you considered telling Funcom, who are currently producing a sequel to their game of the year, four-hundred-thousand+ selling "graphic adventure" The Longest Journey? Is it the same source of information who told you that Escape From Monkey Island was marketable on the PS2, despite the fact that it has three prequels none of which are available on consoles? I'm also curious as to why the desision was made to re-release several of the "classic" LucasArts titles here in the UK. Clearly, graphic adventures don't sell well at all (did I mention The Longest Journey, released between the time of Grim Fandango and Escape From Monkey Island, which has sold well over 400, 000 copies) which is why you're only selling the old, out of date ones like The Dig.

In fact, what am I saying. As you say, "current market place realities" dictate that graphic adventures are actually a waste of time and money. Sure, its ok to start work on a new one, even progress pretty damn far into it, and release its prequel in the "Entertainment Pack" and now on its own, but what fools you would be to actually release it! What kind of morons would release a game like this?! Its beyond me, especially as the gaming press are so clearly non-plussed and uninterested in the game.

Seriously, though, I think you should listen to your fans more than your wallets. I appreciate that there are a lot of Star Wars fans, more than Monkey Island, or Day of the Tentacle, but read the magazine reviews. There have been 14 good LucasArts adventure games, by my estimation, and 2 good Star Wars games. And they were made by Factor 5. Jesus, I really, honestly, truly believed that the Star Wars games were being made because of the new movie trilogy, and when it was all done and ended with, you'd go back to making really good games. Hell, you more-or-less invented the genre - now I have to play games made by people who are basically trying to make the same games you used to make.

I know I keep referring to it, but The Longest Journey didn't have a reference to Guybrush Threepwood in it for nothing. Well done, you've upset a few hundred people but don't worry - you won't have to risk losing any money.

Former Fan

Daniel Wishart - I used to have a fansite, it was called LucasTones"

Of course, I won't close my site down ;)

Hellbeard
03-04-2004, 12:31 AM
I know that I probably don't understand this situation as well as you guys do, nor do I think that you should really care about my oppionion, but I'll say it anyway.

Adventure games just about dead in my oppinion, and why wouldn't they? People don't like to have to think or actually spend time thinking about what they're doing. People like first person shooter games where they can shoot endlessly, or RPGs where they just have to pump numourous hours into gameplay to become good, hell, even RTS games have more appeal now a days than adventure games just because they aren't as hard on the noggin'. People are lazy, and they watch reality television (need I say more?). I would have cancelled sam and max 2 as well if I was in their position just because there is no way that they could compete with games like Half-Life 2, Halo 2, Grand Theft Auto, sims, etc... It would be like suicide.

Now don't get me wrong, I love Adventure games more than any other genre, and Im going to sign the petition, but I just don't think that there is any life left for the adventure game genre. Heck Im the only person that I know that actually enjoys to play them, even if I constantly advertise/lend them to my friends...

(remember, I don't know much about the adventure game situation, so if I just made an ass out of myself, don't think much of it)

Udvarnoky
03-04-2004, 12:33 AM
But even if you truly thought adventure games didn't have a chance, would you really cancel a game so far into production because you had doubts about its sales?

Laserschwert
03-04-2004, 12:36 AM
That's what I have pointed out in my mail (just as Tones did): The adventure-genre is right in the process of recovering... "The Longest Journey" started it, "Runaway", "Broken Sword 3" and "The Westerner" followed... and it was great to see that more adventures are going to come out, like a sequel to "The Longest Journey"... so, obviously the genre isn't dead.

By the way, the game was supposed to be released in April, right? So, the stupid suits cancelled it one moth before release... I still can't believe that.

Udvarnoky
03-04-2004, 12:47 AM
Originally posted by Laserschwert
was supposed to be released in April, right? So, the stupid suits cancelled it one moth before release... I still can't believe that.

Well, it was likely going to be summer at the earliest. Jake said a delay was anticipated to give some E3 coverage or something along those lines. The point is, the game was not far off from completion-well enough into development to warrant a release, no matter how poorly it would have sold. It just doesn't make sense to spend all this time and money for nothing. It's truly ridiculous.

elTee
03-04-2004, 01:25 AM
I mean for Christs sake, the Goddamn game designers were e-mailing Jake only a few bloody weeks ago to help in the "pre-rendered or not?" debate, so clearly they still thought it was gonna be finished. Dammit, I'm so mad :mad:

Gabrobot
03-04-2004, 02:01 AM
Man, and I thought LucasArts had learned their lesson after Obi-Wan...this is actually worse than any of their other cancelled games, since at least the other games weren't actually turning out right. With Sam & Max 2 everything is going great and then they turn around and shoot themselves in the foot!? What the HELL!? :swear:

MrManager
03-04-2004, 02:08 AM
I've mentioned it before, but I'll post it here also - a petition rarely makes a difference. Your best bet is to e-mail pr@lucasarts.com and let them know how you feel.

elTee
03-04-2004, 02:15 AM
I agree with you Remi. I did e-mail them, and normally I don't sign petitions cos basically, as you say, they're useless. This time I'm really really mad though. Its one of the most ridiculous, annoying and downright ludicrous decisions ever made in the industry. I mean, the game is almost done, surely? I mean, who wasn't expecting a bucketload of screenshots at E3, and a demo a few weeks later? Hell it was supposed to ship before the fall.

Its not like they announced it, and that was all, or they had shown us some pics but they looked shỉt like with Full Throttle II. This is there, 90% complete and looking sweet. Every gamesplayer worth his salt was at least remotely excited about this, because no-one can deny that the original was a masterpiece.

*******s.

Gabrobot
03-04-2004, 02:30 AM
True that petitions don't make much of a difference (and I did e-mail LucasArts, btw), though I'm still happy to see the number of signatures rapidly rising already. :)

MrManager
03-04-2004, 02:35 AM
Yeah, I gave in and signed it too.

Still though, an e-mail is worth more than a signature, so I hope people just don't sign the petition and leave it at that.

guybrush guy
03-04-2004, 03:52 AM
i just mailed a letter to the Lucas arts building in CA...

Dear developers of Sam and Max 2
I first got into adventure games when I was about 10 years old. I received the games Myst and Toonstruck for my birthday. I, since then, have been in love with the genera. My first LucasArts game was “Curse of Monkey Island” since then I have bought every LucasArts adventure game, including Sam and Max.
Recently adventure gaming has been on a low level of enjoyment. Even to find an adventure game in a store is something of a challenge. When the rare chance of finding an adventure game rears its head, it sucks. In my book, as well as other people’s, nothing compares to LucasArts and that is the truth. I have more devotion to your company then I do anything else. You guys are absolute genesis when it comes to adventure games. A few years ago I only had one computer and it was not capable or being upgraded so I went out and bought a Play Station 2 just to play Monkey Island 4.
At last years E3, I was really excited by the news of full throttle 2. It was the topic of discussion for weeks at www.adventuregamers.com. When the news of Sam and Max 2 came, I was ecstatic. I could not wait to play this game. That is until this morning the 3rd of March.
I woke up around eleven in the morning and had to run a few errands. When I came back I took a look at my favorite website and I saw the dreadful headline “Sam and Max 2 canceled” I soon read the press release. "After careful evaluation of current market place realities and underlying economic considerations, we've decided that this was not the appropriate time to launch a graphic adventure on the PC. ” What I got out of this statement was “We decided that were going to cancel Sam and Max. We are canceling because adventure games are dead and we wont make a lot of money.” I would like to remind you of who you are. You have thousands of fans. Millions of people all over the world have played your games. How can you say that this game will not sell?
Even if your company is determined to bring Sam and Max 2 back to production and the simple issue of “It’s not going to sell well” is in your way. I’m sure you guys can think of something to fix it. I have a few suggestions myself.
First I suggest that you release some screenshot of the game. There is little known about the looks and views of the game. I guarantee that if you do this you will get recognized. Post them on gaming website such as game spy or gamespot.
Second, I would give some more information on the game play and a little information on the plot. This would be the same as the first by posting it on game sites. Releases a little more plot information. I read an interview about the mini games, that alone maid me want to play the game even more
Third, I would release a playable demo. Nothing would bring more people to your game then a playable demo. I think this would be the quickest and best way to boost your “market place reality”.
Sam and Max was rated number ten as one of the most anticipated games of 2004 by Pc gamer. Do you know how hard that is, there will probably be over 2000 games released this year, and Sam and Max is in the top ten!
You guy should do some serious thinking. I am very angry about your proposal. So far I have sent three email complaints. This letter would be my fourth complaint today. I even started an online petition. That can be viewed here, http://www.petitiononline.com/LACOSAM/petition.html. In the past four hours it has received over 150 signatures.
Canceling Sam and Max is a mistake. As of now I am extremely disappointed in LucasArts. You have lost my support in anything that Lucas Arts does. I will no longer purchase any LucasArts game. I was going to purchase the game Star Wars Galaxies but i’m disgusted by the way LucasArts is acting and will no longer have anything to do with it
I hope you take what I am saying into consideration. You should really think about what you would be doing. You would be loosing a lot of your fans.
Sincerely
Brandon Leahy

elTee
03-04-2004, 04:27 AM
More people need to be emailing LucasArts like this. I've done it twice (by mistake) and everyone else who I've spoken to has done it. If we all do it, the least we'll do is piss them off.

Alien426
03-04-2004, 05:19 AM
Fúck. Damn those bastards to hell.

After Sam & Max 2 is featured in PC Gamer's The Top 10 Games of 2004 (http://forums.adventuregamers.com/showthread.php?t=1681) they cancel it...

I've signed and will mail.

EDIT:
You've probably noticed this, but LucasArts really whores out to the masses. Strategy games are hip? Let's make Rebellion (http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/198776.asp), Force Commander (http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/89825.asp), Galactic Battlegrounds (http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/470395.asp). MMORPGs? Let's make Galaxies (http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/468222.asp). Tactical multiplayer games like Battlefield 1942? Let's make Battlefront...

With the exception of the un-released Battlefront, all the games got mediocre ratings at best. If they sold well, it was because of the Star Wars license. I'm not one to complain about Star Wars themed games, I loved the Dark Forces / Jedi Knight series. But who is that Vice President of Finance and Operations to pass judgment on how a game will sell that hasn't been released yet? He's probably got nifty surveys and calculations, but has he ever been on the internet, watching the thousands of devoted fan sites? A lot of people I know fondly remember the old adventures and I guess they would buy a quality game IF IT WAS RELEASED!

elTee
03-04-2004, 05:22 AM
A redesign of the mojo main page, to suit the current mood and send a message to anyone from LucasArts who comes for a looksee. Click here. (http://lucastones.mixnmojo.com/newmojo.jpg)

James Isaac
03-04-2004, 05:55 AM
I e-mailed them and signed the petition too.

Glad to see that so many people are signing it.

And, how come you changed the e-mail adresses in your news article?

elTee
03-04-2004, 07:13 AM
Three high-up members of staff at LucasArts had their inboxes flooded after Mojo, and susequently other sites, published their email addresses to show their disgust, so people could comment directly to the important people. Not suprisingly, LucasArts contacted mojo to get them to remove the e-mail addresses, so now all mail is sent to some PR inbox.

I don't know where to get the e-mail addresses from now. (http://wwhs.fangames.co.uk)

James Isaac
03-04-2004, 09:12 AM
Lol, nice site ;)

How many signatures do you want before you send it off?

And will they actually read what we send to that new e-mail adress?

jp-30
03-04-2004, 09:20 AM
Here's the email I sent;

Dear Rhonda,

Like the other thousands of emails you'll have received today, I'd like to register my dismay at the cancellation of Sam & Max 2 at this late stage of development.

While the marketing team must have the easiest time in the world selling Star Wars products to comitted fans, surely it would not be too much for them to actually have to think creatively once or twice per year to market an original title? It's not like this is a new theme to break to the masses either. Sam & Max are already entrenched in the minds of thousands.

This game would be the one to rekindle adventure games playing to people like myself, 30+, with a family, who grew up on the classic LFG/LEC titles of the early 90s. We're a HUGE market. And "we" buy games like Myst & The Sims - not everything need be a FPS or Action flight sim to work.

The good news for the marketing team is that this cancellation press release has made headlines around the world (mixnmojo even got slashdotted today) in the games and tech communities. The mileage you got from today's release is huge, worth more than any TV or press campaign. So please be smart and capitalise on it;

"Due to unprecidented, overwhelming demand, LEC management has reviewed the Sam & Max decision and decided to continue development of the title for the intended mid-year release"

You'll get even more mileage from that turnaround, more free press, plenty of goodwill, and lots and lots of sales.

Go get 'em!

Kind regards

JBRAA
03-04-2004, 11:04 AM
My email....

To those responsible. Sorry for writing this to the PR. *hug on PR*

DUDE!
Steve Purcell should **** the LucasArse!

Tim Schafer and Steve Purcell should make Sam & Max 2 together after
Psychonats is released.

You are SO PATHETIC!

Everyone loves Sam & Max! Educate your self man! You are LACKING knowledge.
Understand who to listen to.
The talents are the most crusial essential resource of your company. They
should be personally responsible for
their game, not you.

Listen! Steve Purcell is very talented. He's extremly good. Follow his
lead and financial and popular success WILL
follow.

Also. You clearly didn't LEARN ANYTHING from your 20th celebration LEGACY.

YOUR COMPANY IS EXTREMELY MISMANAGED.

Up yours,
signed

JBRAA
03-04-2004, 11:29 AM
Reply to jp-30:
Well said and good point. Bullseye perhaps. Interesting to follow this up. Could this be a planed PR stunt?

elTee
03-04-2004, 12:02 PM
I doubt its a PR stunt. I also highly doubt that they'll reconsider the status of Sam and Max, because then it would seem like the fans had some power. Which we clearly don't. The only thing they have achieved is biggest alienation ever by a three line statement. They've shown a lack of respect to their fans, and displayed poor managerial intelligence. Worst of all, they've created the biggest backlash this community has ever experienced, and we'll be feeling the repercussions for a long time to come.

Brushguy
03-04-2004, 12:37 PM
This day was going great for me! I was getting on ebay, getting some old Lucasarts adventures....

then I visited samandmax.net. I was in so much utter disbelief that I fell out of my chair. It's all over the Mixnmojo network. "Sam and Max 2 Cancelled." I can't believe Lucasarts. What's up with them? I can say this and I'm spelling it out for you Lucasarts...

YOU ARE A DOOMED COMPANY

If they are relying on a stupid and dying Star Wars tie-in franchise, somebody should dig a grave for them. Nobody except mindless gamers will buy their Star Wars junk. So what if it sells well? The thousand gamers hovering around on the Mixnmojo Forums won't buy it. I was going to buy Full Throttle II. I was going to enjoy Full Throttle II. My little brother is wild over the original Full Throttle and he wanted #2. But when I told him those idiots at Lucasarts pulled the plug, he cried for a straight half-hour.

Now with Sam and Max 2: I am crying. This is utterly ridiculous! I was on the edge of my seat for a whole stinkin' year man! And now.....!!! I think Lucasarts' quote "sales manager" has lost his mind because he deserves to be locked up in a straitjacket. Lucasarts has finally descended to the bottom of the gaming barrel.

I am never gonna buy another one of their stinkin' products again EVER! I am so mad I don't have a large enough vocabulary to express myself. The reason I won't buy from them again is this: all they'll ever make from here on out is Star Wars junk. The chances of a Monkey Island 5 or Grim Fandango 2 from them is less than zero. Lucasarts, you've lost a loyal adventure fan today.

In case you didn't get the picture, I hate you. I signed that petition and when it reaches 3000 complaints, go drop it in their inbox.

It's raining and storming outside right now. Appropriate.

James Isaac
03-04-2004, 04:35 PM
My e-mail:

To whom it may concern,

I am very unhappy today. Probably the saddest I've been for months. The game I was looking forward to so much - more than any game in years, that I have been waiting and hoping for so much - reading every new bit of information ever since the first press release, I have just found out has been cancelled.

Yes, I was thinking Sam & Max Freelance Police was going to be the best game ever. Probably better than my all time favourite game "Grim Fandango". I really can't believe it's been canceled. There was so much hype about it. All the magazines, and the huge adventure gaming community, and a lot of people who had never even played adventure games before were so excited about it. Yes, I introduced all my friends to it by showing them the trailer on your site. And they loved it. Nearly all of them were going to buy the game - even though they'd never even heard of the origional.

I think, and so do many many other people, that your decision to cancel it was the wrong one. I really hope you choose to change your mind and get this back in production.

Everything about it looked so good. The graphics looked amazing - the rooms that were shown looked beautiful. The story had a great backing. The voices were great, and the dialogue hilarious. It looked like a sure sucess. There was no doubt about it. I was definetly going to buy it, even if it cost £100 I would still get enough money together to buy it.

And you'll notice, that when you cancelled Full Throttle 2, not that many people complained. Becuase it wasn't looking that good. You notice that no one created a petition that got 1000 signatures in the first 13 hours, and that not so many people e-mailed you, and started complaining. That's because this game looked so good. It was in PC Gamer's top 10 games of 2004, and had so many people talking about how good it was.

Broken Sword 3 came out well. A lot of people liked it. They didn't cancel it becuase not so many people were buying the first 2 anymore, becuase they developed, and now people love it. You can do the same.

I just wish you would change your mind. Please, think again. Think how many people ahve been waiting so anxiously for this, and how many people you are making sad about this. Please, please, please change your decision and put it back into development, for everyone.

Thanks,
James

guybrush guy
03-04-2004, 05:09 PM
good new guys, i talked to the guys over at gamespy and there going to post the link for the petition....

i'm going to email lucasarts as soon as i get it on gamespot and PCgamer.com

that will prove that they have hope for the game. if anyone knows games it's them

VEVA LE REVELUTION

James Isaac
03-04-2004, 05:59 PM
You should try to get as many people as possible to e-mail lucasArts aswell... as they will probably pay more attention to that than petitions.

TheMonkeyGuy
03-04-2004, 07:45 PM
Guybrush Guy, thanks for your work :( I hope that LucasArts think again on this cancel and put on the project again :(

guybrush guy
03-04-2004, 09:03 PM
i'm gald to be helping, the petition jsut hit 2000 about 20 minuts ago....keep the signing going

Sheriff Gringo
03-04-2004, 11:34 PM
Hey, if there's talk of petitions being sent to LucasArts, can I suggest a couple more? I'm sure there won't be any bother gathering a sufficiently impressive number of signatures:

- Promise consumers you'll stare at the thousands of unsold copies of Gladius, Star Wars: Generic Product, Red Rock BMX/VHS or whatever it was called and your other poor output over the last few years before starting any new projects

- Don't go ahead with projects that, when pitched, you say "OMG TEH BSET EVAR" and then a few months down the line snicker like a bunch of giggleworms and say "Uh, we lied, game over!"

- Get your marketing department to do something like, oh, I don't know, devise a marketing strategy for a product BEFORE greenlighting its production?

- Stop cancelling games being made by your longest-serving and most creative staff members. It's a surefire way to annoy them to the point where they leave the company, and then you end up having to devise nonsense titles.

- Have some faith in your back catalogue of games and realise that sequels have an in-built market, no matter how shoddy. Even Father of the Bride Part II made its money back because so money people liked the original! Not that I have both movies or anything...

All winning petitions, I'm sure you'll agree.

Thank you, LucasArts. Hey! Idea! You're clearly aspiring to slump to the creative wasteland of Sierra's standards, so why not copy what their games used to do? Sam & Max 2 died, but let's just reload it from the last saved position!

LOL OMG!@!@@!@! etc.

MrManager
03-05-2004, 02:11 AM
Oh Mapso, you do make us giggle like 14 year old girls. ;D

Murray the Chao
03-05-2004, 05:37 AM
I have read the cancellation announcement at GameStop and it doesn't sound LucasArts speaking AT ALL.

It certaintly doesn't sound like the LucasArts that created such games as Monkey Island.

BTW, how did you get so many signatures already?

James Isaac
03-05-2004, 05:44 AM
We posted links to it on other popular sites.

guybrush guy
03-05-2004, 05:47 AM
by emailing up the ass, i spent hours finding and sending emails

Snapcase
03-05-2004, 07:18 AM
Back in the mid-nineties I once read a feature in PC Zone on the greatest developers of all time. I can't recall exactly what position LucasArts was in but it was definitely top 3 somewhere, if not first. The article glowingly described all the company's achievments but as I write this letter there's one feature that stands out especially: trust. Lucasarts, the article said, was a company you could trust to always put out a good game.

Lucasarts had that marketer's wet dream, brand loyalty, even among the most hardened of game journalists. It had an aura of trustworthiness, a carefully built-up community of loyal fans who bought into the lifestyle. In fact, long before Lifestyle Branding had become a buzzword Lucasarts did pursue precisely such a regime, emphasising the games' common identity, putting out The Adventurer, dropping Max (poor Max!) into every other game as a cameo. We fans felt we had somewhere we belonged.

And long after LucasArts went down the poor-quality-control, quick-cash-in route, we stayed loyal. That's a side effect of a good lifestyle brand - the fans tend to stay with the company, thick and thin. It's like fans of a certain film director or music producer - emphasising their identity will draw thousands of old fans on name recognition alone. People who once basked in the glow will hunt, relentlessly, for the last remaining shred of the light that nourished them in better days.

Now the lights have gone out. Utterly. The plug has been forcefully wrenched out of the socket.

You've gone too far this time. I'm sure you've seen the reactions on various websites; this is not like any of your previous blunders. This is much, much more serious. For an enormous portion of the once-cherished fan community, the straw has broken the back of the camel, love has turned to hate. It tends to happen I'm afraid when you betray your most loyal fans; hell hath no fury like a woman scorned.

I myself have lost all the lividness of yesterday by now, but in its place is a hard gritty determination: I shall never buy a product from your company again until some radical changes happen. On that note I chose to end this letter.

Best wishes,

Johan Palme

The Tingler
03-05-2004, 11:38 AM
I don't like being referred to as a collective woman, thanks. But besides that, that's a fine letter.

elTee
03-05-2004, 05:00 PM
Great letter there Snapcase. We need more like this :D

Murray the Chao
03-05-2004, 10:07 PM
What other sites did you post it on?

seanr
03-06-2004, 01:30 AM
This petition is going well, about 4600 signatures at time of writing, plus it's the second most active petition on petitiononline as well as the second most popular top 25 petitions. 3 of which I might add are all sam & max 2 related!!!

Thrik
03-06-2004, 01:35 AM
Oh. My. God.

www.eternalconflict.co.uk/sm2news.php

seanr
03-06-2004, 01:42 AM
Bah! That press release is fake! FAKE!!! Though I truely wish it wasn't, hopefully some day lucasarts will issue a press release along those lines.

flakk
03-06-2004, 01:46 AM
It's. A. Hoax.

And a very crappy one at that. The link is going to:

http://www.eternalconflict.co.uk/sm2news/sm2news/86.html

not

http://www.lucasarts.com/press/release/86.html

justblah
03-06-2004, 02:10 AM
Originally posted by Brushguy
Nobody except mindless gamers will buy their Star Wars junk. So what if it sells well? The thousand gamers hovering around on the Mixnmojo Forums won't buy it.

You just don't seem to get it...those "mindless gamers" outnumber you by a hundred to one at least. Lucasarts will have absolutely no trouble sleeping at night knowing that they've alienated a thousand regulars to the Mixnmojo Forums. You said it yourself "so what if it sells well?" ...so what? Well, the company stays in business and doesn't have to lay off employees. It's only when the mainstream gamers stop buying the shovelware that they will have any motivation to change their stance.

If LEC should be worried about anything, it's that the gaming press is creating a huge PR backlash for them, and rightly so.

Yes, I'm extremely disappointed that this game was cancelled, but you lack a sense of perspective.

RenoSix
03-06-2004, 02:35 AM
New here, but I just can't keep myself away from the discussion. This is an outrage. Here's my letter to PR.

Hello,

I am extremely displeased at your cancellation of Sam and Max: Freelance Police. For several years, I've stood behind LucasArts' adventure games, praising your efforts to keep your store stocked with classics and touched by what seemed like genuine willingness to please the fans with sequels to the games we love. I purchased Full Throttle from Babbage's, mainly because I wanted to play it before Full Throttle 2's release. We just bought a brand-new computer for the first time in seven years, and one of the biggest reasons for it was so I could be SURE that Freelance Police would run on my system. There were other things, of course -- general compatibility with all newer software -- but Freelance Police has stood at the top of my want list for quite some time. Winter crawled by with the expectations of finally getting something new in the world of Sam and Max. I rejoiced when the first signs of Spring came in. Why? Because Spring 2004 marked Sam and Max's return to gaming.

And then, I'm told that some idiot at LEC cancelled this game, this gem I've been reaching for for a year.

Maybe you'll recognize the name of a certain ex-competitor of yours -- Sierra? They ditched us fans long ago. You were our hope for adventure gaming, the object of our dreams to keep our favorite genre alive. Now you're winding down the same path those greedy, money-hungry, corporate scum took years ago when they fired their Yosemite branch. But I won't go into detail about Black Monday, because obviously, you geniuses at LucasArts had to study up on the event to learn one of the basic strategies of screwing over your fans -- cancel the games they yearn for and leave 'em in the dust.

This is extremely upsetting. We had hopes through the clouds and we were only getting giddier as the release approached. First you kill Full Throttle 2, and then you skewer Sam and Max 2. LEC sickens me. Unless I can block away the disgust long enough to purchase a copy of The Dig at some bargain bin, then Outlaws will have been the last LucasArts product I purchase. You do not have my customer satisfaction. You have my utmost disrespect. Go make a new game for the lifeless drones that purchase your Star Wars products -- you obviously don't have to inject any heart into those mass-produced money machines, so how hard should it be?

Personally I think well-thought-out, intelligent letters of disgust are more effective than "LucasArts iz da suX0rZ," but that's just me. This is really too much, either way.

elTee
03-06-2004, 02:53 AM
You're absolutely right, Reno (and welcome to the forums) - intelligent letters are the most effective way to let LucasArts know how we feel. As far as unofficial numbers go, the LucasArts PR department has recieved well over 1500 e-mails, possibly 2000, since wednesday. This means one of two things:

1. People are all doing their best to tell LucasArts how genuinely annoyed and upset they are at the decision.

2. People are, as you say, saying "LucasArts iz da suX0rZ" and only the minority are getting through will proper messages.

Hopefully, it is the former. As far as I know, which isn't too far, LucasArts haven't been simply deleting the e-mails - at least, not all of them. For what its worth, the letters posted in this thread have all been the "good" kind of letter.

With any luck, the lack of response to the fan outrage is purely because they're stunned by the backlash, and want to prepare some proper statements. Lets hope so, anyway - the longer we're left waiting, the more respect and fans LucasArts will lose.

RenoSix
03-06-2004, 03:20 AM
I have a feeling they're listening to the letters. I recently discovered that years and years ago, my parents complained to Sierra because they were stuck in Leisure Suit Larry 2 and needed a hintbook, but the hintbooks weren't going to be released for another seven weeks, and they didn't want to keep spending lucacrious amounts of money on the hint line. In response, Sierra sent them a couple of coupons and a free, complimentary copy of Space Quest 3 for their hassle. What I'm trying to say is, the fans are very important to these companies, because without us, they won't sell a thing. With such a number being dissatisfied, they're SURE to realize their mistake. It's not as if our letters are being completely disregarded and pushed off as useless opinions from meager voices.

I, myself, am very optimistic. I have a feeling that the decision'll be reversed, in some way or another. Did anybody expect such a huge fallout from the decision? Five thousand petition-signers in three days? At least 1,500 angry letters to PR? This is a huge movement, a great effort, and I do believe that we will be victorious.

seanr
03-06-2004, 04:01 AM
How many signatures and emails do you guys think it would take for lucasarts to reconsider? I personally reckon about 50,000 signatures and about 10,000 emails would change their minds.

RenoSix
03-06-2004, 04:27 AM
Well, each signature is worth about $50, I'd say, as each one is most likely going to buy it if they're signing it. So with 50,000 signatures, they'd make approximately $2,500,000. I doubt they were even expecting what we've already given them, though.

Anybody notify Just Adventure about the petition?

EDIT: I just emailed Randy Sluganski, editor-in-chief of JA, asking for support. Let's hope something good comes out of it.

Udvarnoky
03-06-2004, 04:36 AM
Originally posted by seanr
How many signatures and emails do you guys think it would take for lucasarts to reconsider? I personally reckon about 50,000 signatures and about 10,000 emails would change their minds.

I'm thinking that time is a major issue here, and we don't have the time to get 50,000 signatures.

seanr
03-06-2004, 04:58 AM
I'm thinking that time is a major issue here, and we don't have the time to get 50,000 signatures.

Yeah your probably right. :( We'd need to get that high in the next few days or so (by my guess :confused: ).
Even with the campaign of getting the petition linked to a lot of the major gaming sites, we may not get that much traffic in such little time. And even if we did get that many signatures it's still not a guarantee that lucasarts would even care.

It's still worth a shot though.

I can't remember any public outcry as big as this over a game being cancelled, so hopefully that will count for something.

samandmaxfiend
03-06-2004, 05:42 AM
i think we need to get to 10, 000 signatures as soon as possible..and then notify lucasarts of the site..i mean theres still a lot of sam & max fans who wouldnt even know its been cancelled yet..its only been a couple of days...

i think of the 2, 000 emails lucasarts have got 95% would be real passionate letters not just sum rubbish..hopefully it wakes lucasarts up to the fact that people actually care about this game

RenoSix
03-06-2004, 06:12 AM
Originally posted by seanr
Even with the campaign of getting the petition linked to a lot of the major gaming sites, we may not get that much traffic in such little time. And even if we did get that many signatures it's still not a guarantee that lucasarts would even care.

Well, here's how I see it. We can either settle with what we've got, or expand. It can't hurt to get the links out there, to try and get gaming sites on our side. The more we spread the word of the petition and email campaign, the better our chances of being noticed and listened to. Our underground revolution has started; now we have to send out the carrier pigeons.

I'm not willing to sit by and let this game cease. It wouldn't be so bad if LEC hadn't already finished the bulk of the game. This is simply unjust and should NOT go without a fight. I'm all for doing everything possible in our power to get the decision reversed, and I'm willing to do anything it takes to get Freelance Police onto the shelves.

James Isaac
03-06-2004, 02:35 PM
Oh darn. Why are there 2 petitions now???? A new one has 3800 signatures, and the old one has 5400. What's the point???

You can see the other one here (http://www.petitiononline.com/SamMax2/petition.html). It is now more active than the old one. That's really pointless, all the signatures should go into one.

RenoSix
03-06-2004, 07:43 PM
Agreed. We only need one petition. The same people that sign one will sign the other one, so why have two?

Murray the Chao
03-06-2004, 10:12 PM
What are the sites that you are promoting this petition on? You see, I want to help promote a petition from another site(which I have put in my sig with a slight LucasArts feel)

Vive La Petition!

Hellbeard
03-06-2004, 10:38 PM
Is it cheating to sign the petition more than once with multiple different e-mail adresses? Because if it isn't, we can all just get a whole crap load of cheesy hotmail accounts and sign away....

ThunderPeel2001
03-06-2004, 11:00 PM
LucasArts does not know its arse from its elbow, presently. If I were a shareholder I would be selling my stock.

LA looked bad when they announced that they were no longer making "classic" Star Wars games and tried to thrust a thousand "Phantom Menace" games down our throat. Luckily they saw the light and things looked up... until now.

The market place has not changed ONE IOTA since they greenlit Sam N Max 2, yet here they are, months later, thousands of dollars later, changing their mind on a whim. Clearly something is SERIOUSLY wrong with the management at LucasArts.

I wouldn't mind, but this is the SECOND time they have changed their mind after spending thousands of dollars producing a game, and cancelled something.

Does LucasArts realize how incompetent this makes them look??

They haven't the bloody clue what they're doing! The only decent games they've produced recently were designed by out-of-house groups, nothing decent has come out of LucasArts' In-House for quite some time. In short: They absolutely suck and whatever goes for management in their organisation couldn't inspire Shakespeare to write a haiku...

Completely and utterly USELESS.

guybrush guy
03-06-2004, 11:31 PM
maybe this outrage is what they really need. hopefully they will realize the mistake they maid and play a nice game of doge ball with them selvs. the good people on one side and the bad on the other...with any luck the bad side will loose and burn in hell as punishment

Udvarnoky
03-06-2004, 11:34 PM
So guybrush guy, do you have any set goal for the petition or you're just going to let it stay?

RenoSix
03-07-2004, 12:28 AM
Originally posted by Murray the Chao
What are the sites that you are promoting this petition on? You see, I want to help promote a petition from another site(which I have put in my sig with a slight LucasArts feel)

Vive La Petition!

Just JustAdventure, but I dunno how smart it is to have several petitions. One is all we need. It'll look a lot less impressive to have 10,000 sigs from four petitions instead of 10,000 from one.

psbales
03-07-2004, 12:44 AM
(Umm, I already posted this on samandmax.net. I really don't know how many people read both forums, so I wanted to make sure that this has max exposure. If I'm being naughty, mods, please delete and no hard feelings!)

Hey all,

Loooong time lurker, just registered today. I honestly don't think that it'll help any, but there's a LucasArts support forum over here:

http://forums.lucasarts.com/forum.j...umID=13&start=0

...where there is a small but growing thread about S&M2. The thread will most likely be deleted come Monday morning, but official LucasArts folks are bound to at least read some of it, or at a minimum, notice the activity on the board (the entire forum is close to dead). I'm still hoping beyond hope that with enough begging, whining, and most importantly, people promising to never purchase another LucasArts product again that they will take notice.

*sigh*

I really feel like that a close friend died...

ThunderPeel2001
03-07-2004, 12:57 AM
Thanks for the heads up, the actual link to the SnM2 thread on LucasArts.com is:

http://forums.lucasarts.com/thread.jspa?threadID=60&tstart=0

Thanks.

~ John

guybrush guy
03-07-2004, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by Udvarnoky
So guybrush guy, do you have any set goal for the petition or you're just going to let it stay?

What do you mean? do i have set number i want to hit?

if thats what your asking..then the number 1 million would be nice.
i've been thinking about printing out the petition and mailing it to lucas arts. i've been sending them the URL every 500 to 1000 signitures. today it didnt go up mutch but i'm hoping it will hit 10000 in the next week

Udvarnoky
03-07-2004, 02:13 AM
Okay, you've answered my question. Thanks!

Hellbeard
03-07-2004, 02:53 AM
I actually noticed our petition over on the gamespot sam and max 2 forum. Our petition was also over at the gamespy forum aswell. There was also some other one over at the IGN sam and max 2 forum...

Gamespy S&M2 Convo= http://www.forumplanet.com/gamespy/topic.asp?fid=1422&tid=1310371

Gamespot S&M2 Convo= http://forums.gamespot.com/gamespot/board?board.id=914937

IGN S&M2 Convo= http://boards.ign.com/board.asp?brd=6241

(btw, can someone give me a quick refresher on how to integrate links into words, I can't remember any of the forum code)

RichC
03-07-2004, 03:24 AM
News continues to spread. The cancellation of Sam n Max 2 got fark'd today over at Drew Curtis' www.fark.com. Somebody should keep track of all the press attention and forward it to Lucasarts. I tried to start collecting links, but stopped after about 10.

Richard C.

samandmaxfiend
03-07-2004, 03:37 AM
yeah we need to keep all the links and articles for brushguys save sam & max website..if you do a search for sam & max in google news..heaps of stuff comes up

SerialFreak
03-07-2004, 04:43 AM
Originally posted by Hellbeard
I actually noticed our petition over on the gamespot sam and max 2 forum. Our petition was also over at the gamespy forum aswell. There was also some other one over at the IGN sam and max 2 forum...

Gamespy S&M2 Convo= http://www.forumplanet.com/gamespy/topic.asp?fid=1422&tid=1310371

Gamespot S&M2 Convo= http://forums.gamespot.com/gamespot/board?board.id=914937

IGN S&M2 Convo= http://boards.ign.com/board.asp?brd=6241

(btw, can someone give me a quick refresher on how to integrate links into words, I can't remember any of the forum code)

You pretty much write [ url ] http://www.gamespy.com/ ] Game Spy [ /url ] without the spaces. :)

guybrush guy
03-07-2004, 05:59 AM
Originally posted by samandmaxfiend
yeah we need to keep all the links and articles for brushguys save sam & max website..if you do a search for sam & max in google news..heaps of stuff comes up

Just did that, i know it's missing a lot but i'm realy tired and about to hit the sack. I'll get the rest tomarrow. if you have anything to add post it please

Lucas arts Hate site ) http://wwhs.fangames.co.uk/

Petition 1) 6350 signatures http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?LACOSAM&1

Petition 2) 588 signature
http://www.petitiononline.com/samnmax2/petition.html (this one is just stupid, they want full throttle 2 back aswell, ignorant adventure gamers!)

Petition 3) 4358 signatures
http://www.petitiononline.com/mod_perl/signed.cgi?SamMax2

Link 1)
www.Adventuregamers.com full coverage

Link 2)
www.Mixnmojo.com full coverage

Link 3)
http://www.megagames.com/news/html/pc/samandmax2cancellationreaction.shtml cancellation and petition news

Link 4) http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/03/03/news_6090535.html Cancellation coverage

Link 5) http://pc.ign.com/articles/496/496351p1.html Cancellation coverage

Link 6) http://www.fark.com/ Cancellation coverage

Forum Link 1) http://forums.adventuregamers.com/showthread.php?t=2265 Sam and Max anti cancellation petition (adventuregamers)

Forum Link 2) http://forums.adventuregamers.com/showthread.php?t=2340 Lucas arts spent 2 million on Sam and max (adventuregamers)

Forum Link 3) http://forums.adventuregamers.com/showthread.php?t=2330 Sam and max cancellation on TV (adventuregamers)

Forum Link 4) http://forums.adventuregamers.com/showthread.php?t=2308 Steve Purcell’s comment on Sam and max cancellation (adventuregamers)

Forum Link 5) http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=124264 Sam and max cancellation petition (mixnmojo)

Forum Link 6) http://forums.lucasarts.com/thread.jspa?threadID=60&start=0&tstart=0 Sam and max discusion thread (lucasarts.com)

Forum Link 7) http://forums.longestjourney.com/showthread.php?threadid=1100 save sam and max (longest journey.com forums)

ThunderPeel2001
03-07-2004, 12:33 PM
Wow! I love what Wibble Wobble Hat Stand have done!

http://wwhs.fangames.co.uk/

MixNMojo should follow suit if they feel the same way (I know I do!)

~ John

PS - I don't think we should link the third petition (the one with only 500+ votes), only the good one (with 6000+!). It should get the least amount of publicity as possible so people sign the right one! Also Petition 3 in your list is a German petition, which is cool, but people should be made aware of it IMHO.

James Isaac
03-07-2004, 04:38 PM
This is really bad. The more petitions there are, the less impressive it looks. The others should be cancelled.

Originally posted by SerialFreak
You pretty much write [ url ] http://www.gamespy.com/ ] Game Spy [ /url ] without the spaces. :)

No, it's:

[ url = http://www.gamespy.com/ ] Game Spy [ /url ]

(without spaces).

ThunderPeel2001
03-07-2004, 04:49 PM
Argh! According to Gamespot:

Sad news came today for fans of the 1993 PC game Sam & Max Hit the Road. LucasArts has canceled its PC sequel, Sam & Max Freelance Police, only a few months before its planned spring 2004 release.

"After careful evaluation of current market place realities and underlying economic considerations, we've decided that this was not the appropriate time to launch a graphic adventure on the PC" said Mike Nelson, acting general manager and VP of finance and operations at LucasArts, in a brief release. The release also revealed that LucasArts will not let any staff go as a result of the cancellation of the game, which was being internally developed.

Despite significant interest, Sam & Max Freelance Police had been shrouded in mystery since it was originally announced in August of 2002. All that was known was that it would be 3D and that it would continue its titular dog and rabbit heroes' adventures. At the time, LucasArts seemed enthusiastic about the project. "Sam & Max Hit the Road is a classic and [is] as close to being a signature game as any LucasArts has ever done," said the company's then-president Simon Jeffery.

SerialFreak
03-07-2004, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by James Isaac
This is really bad. The more petitions there are, the less impressive it looks. The others should be cancelled.

No, it's:

[ url = http://www.gamespy.com/ ] Game Spy [ /url ]

(without spaces).

Yeah, you're right. :)

samandmaxfiend
03-07-2004, 10:08 PM
does lucasarts have a phone number? we can ring to express our disgust?

and make sure to add the information abt the picket line protest taking place at lucasarts offices in san rafael CA

guybrush guy
03-07-2004, 11:04 PM
Picket line? didnt hear anything about that. some pleas explain

Hellbeard
03-07-2004, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by samandmaxfiend
does lucasarts have a phone number? we can ring to express our disgust?

and make sure to add the information abt the picket line protest taking place at lucasarts offices in san rafael CA

You could always spam the crappy lucasarts hintline if it still exists....;)

seanr
03-08-2004, 12:32 AM
Is there some way you could merge all the petitions into one uber petition? You would have to cross check and eliminate multiple entries by the same person(email address) as many people (including me) have signed each petition. But it should be doable.

Originally posted by Hellbeard
Is it cheating to sign the petition more than once with multiple different e-mail adresses? Because if it isn't, we can all just get a whole crap load of cheesy hotmail accounts and sign away....

I'm not sure we should do that. I think we should try to keep the integrity of the petition as high as possible. You don't want lucasarts to look at 10,000 signatures and think it's really just 10 people with a lot of time on their hands.

RenoSix
03-08-2004, 12:48 AM
Yeah, let's keep it genuine. Cheating would be a bit of a bad omen.

"Nyuk nyuk nyuk. Cheaters never prosper."

seanr
03-08-2004, 01:05 AM
ooh...approaching 7500 sigs:D

guybrush guy
03-08-2004, 02:59 AM
i hate the fact that there's more then one petition. it makes it look very unperfeshional. even thoe, i had 2 gramitical errors in my petition

Alien426
03-08-2004, 05:27 AM
I hate the fact that there's more than one petition. It makes it look very unprofessional. Even though I had 2 grammatical errors in my petition. :¬:

guybrush guy
03-08-2004, 05:47 AM
is that soposed to be a quote? and yes i know it sounds stupid what i'm saying (about the gramitcal errors) it just makes it harder to prezent to LA

"hey here's a petition, wait, here's an other with almost the same names"

kmholsen
03-08-2004, 11:21 AM
I find the amount of press the cancellation is getting. Today, I saw a small article in The second largest newspaper we have here in norway about the game.
They also make a small mention of Full Throttle 2 beeing dropped.
http://www.dagbladet.no/kultur/2004/03/07/392763.html
(yeah it´s in norwegian)
With all this "free" publicity, they should almost finish the game and take advantage of it ;-)

Laserschwert
03-08-2004, 04:25 PM
And there it went...

The thread at the LucasArts support-forum got deleted... for the obvious reason of having nothing to do with technical support.

But still, what a bunch of sissies.

guybrush guy
03-08-2004, 05:54 PM
well it's called the technical support forum and we are tecknickly supporting lucas arts with critism, we are soporting them with sam and max

The Tingler
03-08-2004, 07:14 PM
That is fair enough. If you want to bad mouth LucasArts, do it here. If you want to talk about technical support, do it there.

Can't some start a thread there saying something like:
"My PC hasn't been functioning correctly since it found out Sam & Max 2 was cancelled. Can you do anything to help this?"

Laserschwert
03-08-2004, 07:27 PM
Or what about "Help! 'Sam & Max 2' doesn't run on any computer!"

elTee
03-08-2004, 08:02 PM
Or "Sam and Max: Hit the Road" - problems running the game under XP, can you help?

It was in a newspaper? Yay :D

RenoSix
03-08-2004, 08:59 PM
"Excuse me, I accidentally bought a copy of Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds. I meant to purchase Sam and Max: Freelance Police. Can I make an exchange directly to LucasArts? My local software store doesn't carry Sam and Max 2."

EDIT: Heh, just sent the first "tech support question" (My PC hasn't been functioning correctly since it found out Sam & Max 2 was cancelled. Can you do anything to help this?) to the LEC support forums. They require approval by a moderator, though. Was this happening before the previous SNM2 post? I wonder if they set up approval because they didn't want the forums swamped by angry SNM fans...

The Tingler
03-13-2004, 10:58 AM
This is the official statement on the Technical Support forum regarding a certain game we were looking forward to. It may have been posted elsewhere, but as we're discussing it I thought I'd post it.

"Sam & Max: Freelance police
Posted: Mar 8, 2004 9:37 AM

This Forum is only for technical support for LucasArts games so we have removed the threads regarding the cancellation of Sam & Max: Freelance Police. However, please send any feedback you have to our Public Relations Dept. at PR@LucasArts.com

Ronda Scott, our Community Relations Specialist is monitoring the mail to this address and reviewing your comments. Rest assured, your voices are being heard.

Thank you. "

Also, check out the thread simply entitled 'Sam & Max'. Was that your doing, LucasTones?
;)

ThunderPeel2001
03-13-2004, 01:55 PM
NEWS - NEWS - NEWS - NEWS - NEWS - NEWS - NEWS - NEWS - NEWS

However, please send any feedback you have to our Public Relations Dept. at PR@LucasArts.com (regarding Sam and Max 2)

Ronda Scott, our Community Relations Specialist is monitoring the mail to this address and reviewing your comments.

Rest assured, your voices are being heard.

Thank you.

I don't see where this awful defeatist attitude about "well complaining won't do a damned thing" comes from?!?!

Anyone remember a certain Star Wars game that was cancelled and then uncancelled after many public complaints?

Letting LucasArts know WILL make a difference! We CAN get Sam N Max 2 released!

(In fact a rather sceptical side of me thinks this is all a publicity stunt anyway.)

DON'T BE FOOLS, SPREAD THE MESSAGE FAR AND WIDE - YOU WILL MAKE A DIFFERENCE!

Only one thing is sure: Not spreading the word will decrease the chances of the game being reinstated. Think about it.

~ John

The Tingler
03-13-2004, 02:14 PM
This is bugging me now - remind me what Star Wars game you're referring to? It's at the back of my mind and I just can't remember it.

On the other hand - remember the petition to bring Obi-Wan back to the PC? Was that a) successful or b) worth bringing back in the first place?
NOTE: I'm sure this is not the case with Sam & Max, however. It was my No.5 most wanted game (went up and down a couple of times) for a reason.
(While that not may sound that high, consider the games above it included Half-Life 2, Doom 3 and Halo 2, and that I also take release date into account so the astounding Far Cry was no.4 - so not bad for an old-school adventure that didn't have an official screenshot to its name)

ThunderPeel2001
03-13-2004, 02:34 PM
PETITION UPDATE:

Sam N Max signatures: 17,360 !!!

"Obi-Wan for the PC" total signatures: 7,450

Oh, yeah :D

(BTW - I may possibly have been mistaken about that certain "Star Wars" game.)

Joshi
03-13-2004, 03:16 PM
I sent a carfully worded email to the pr guys (0% profanity thank you very much) a few days ago. Now just asking, but any of those people who actually did send them emails, did anyone get a response? I mean I know they're probably being flogged with them and won't read all of them (once you get one with 'You ****ers! bring back Sam and Max now before I rip your ****ing head off and **** down your neck!' in the subject title, you really don't need to read the rest) but I'm just wondering, if anyone's got a response.

Oh, and all feel free to use my sig. It won't do a thing, but hey... it's cool.:cool:

That smiley isn't.

Murray the Chao
03-14-2004, 12:36 AM
I didn't really mind FT2 being cancelled(never really cared much for Full Throttle) I certainly mind Sam & Max being cancelled a LOT. I really loved the original(Especially when Sam & Max get beat up by Lee-Harvey). I really wanted to see Sam & Max:Freelance Police even though I don't have a powerful enough computer for it.

My petiton sig is better then Joshi's

ThunderPeel2001
03-14-2004, 12:40 AM
Mine beats you both ¬

Murray the Chao
03-15-2004, 12:23 AM
My sig is WAY better! It would make the LSA proud!

Anyway,I just sent LucasArts an E-Mail full of insults MI-Style!

Jake
03-15-2004, 01:18 AM
I'm pretty sure Obi-Wan was put "on hold" or something to "evaluate" or some crap like that. Obi-Wan wasn't uncancelled entirely because of fan whining - apparently the game was going to pieces, and most of the team and a large part of the game design changed when it switched to XBox.

Also, based on how Obi-Wan turned out in the end, its probably the worst example to use for anything like this, really :)

Murray the Chao
03-15-2004, 01:22 AM
Obi-Wan was on the GBC not the ****box

I'd like comments on my sig and E-Mail

samandmaxfiend
03-15-2004, 04:55 AM
im beginning to wonder what we have 2 do 2 get a response from lucasarts :mad:

The Tingler
03-15-2004, 11:33 AM
Also, based on how Obi-Wan turned out in the end, its probably the worst example to use for anything like this, really
True, but there was quite a horrendous fan reaction to the news that it was going to be XBox-only, considering how it was hyped in all magazines as Dark Forces 3 before the real Jedi Knight II turned up. It had been looking rather promising - in much the same way as Bounty Hunter did and Battlefront & Republic Commando do now.
The point about the fact that S&M2 has got the entire LucasArts Fan Community (soon to become Pre-2004 LucasArts Fan Community, or even earlier) up in arms has not been lost on me, though. It was only PC Star Wars FPS fans who got cross over Obi-Wan - myself included.
With the benefit of hindsight, I'm rather glad it went. It even had a lousy cover!

Obi-Wan was on the GBC not the ****box
Where d'you get an idea like that?

I severely doubt this is a marketing gimmick. We're the only ones who care, and we were going to buy it anyway.

JBRAA
03-15-2004, 03:44 PM
http://mojoart.mixnmojo.com/original-art/sam-and-max-freelance-police/videos/trailer_thief.jpg

This part of the Sam & Max 2 trailer certainly have a new meaning. "Why won't you just die?!"

Download it: http://mojoart.mixnmojo.com/original-art/sam-and-max-freelance-police/videos/Sam and Max Freelance Police - Trailer - Thief scene (640x480,1643).avi 602kb

The Tingler
03-15-2004, 04:58 PM
This news at www.pczone.co.uk might be of interest. Nothing directly to do with Sam & Max, unfortunately... just the adventure genre.

Classic PC point 'n' click adventure Beneath a Steel Sky has been plucked from the archives for a brand new instalment from UK developer Revolution, we can exclusively reveal. Revolution, best known for its highly respected and successful Broken Sword series, registered the url www.steel-sky2.com on March 4, 2004 (see here for details) and Revolution MD Charles Cecil today confirmed with us that pre-production on the title had indeed begun.

Life in the old dog yet. If a simple developer such as Revolution can take a risk with a sequel to an ageing adventure, why can't a major developer/publisher like LucasArts go ahead with one?

Murray the Chao
03-15-2004, 06:39 PM
I HAVE Gameboy Color Obi-Wan and have ripped the soundtrack.(I also ripped a few tracks from GBA Jedi Power Battles)

I sure hope we eventually do get Sam&Max 2.

The Tingler
03-16-2004, 12:14 PM
Wasn't that called 'Obi-Wan's Adventures' or something like that? The game I'm referring to was an XBox launch title that was originally due on the PC, until LucasArts realised it was crap and knew they had to quickly through it onto a console.

JBRAA
03-18-2004, 10:57 PM
LucasArts, the LucasArts logo, Gold Guy, the Human Figure design logo and the LucasArts Twentieth Anniversary logo are all registered trademarks or trademarks of Lucasfilm Ltd. © 2004 Lucasfilm Entertainment Company Ltd. or Lucasfilm Ltd. & ® or ™ as indicated. All rights reserved.

Easy to think LucasArts lost its independense as company. Is Lucasfilm manageing LucasArts? Discuss!

The Tingler
03-19-2004, 11:36 AM
It's always been like that, hasn't it?

Brushguy
03-19-2004, 12:35 PM
I sure hope we eventually do get Sam&Max 2.

We will. Lucasarts will come out with an apology and put Sam and Max 2 back into production, and there will be an even larger upbringing than the one on March 3rd. More fans will send in "I'm sorry" e-mails than they did "I hate you" e-mails. WWHS will come out with a sincere apology and re-re-design their site. All the sites will apologize and rejoice. Everyone will buy Sam and Max 2 and love it. Lucasarts will look at the sales figures and realize what a stupid mistake they made.

Scummbuddy
03-19-2004, 02:00 PM
No, they would look at what they did, and realize how they made Sam and Max 2 sell better than it would if they had just released it without all this hubbub.

NHJ BV
03-22-2004, 08:45 PM
They will probably look at what they did and continue to produce generic Star Wars titles.

The Tingler
03-23-2004, 05:13 PM
We live in hope. With any luck, they're reconsidering their actions. We must continue to fight! This is a war... and we are soldiers!

The Great Maxian War of 2004... LucasArts Vs Fans. They'll sing songs about this fight, trust me.

Beginning with a round of "King of the Creatures".

March 3, 2004. Remember that date. The day we fought back.

Brushguy
03-23-2004, 10:35 PM
I'm picturing the Monty Python sketch about Sir Robin's minstrels right now, singing songs about him.

I bet Lucasarts already realizes that they've made a mistake - they might even want to put it back into production - but maybe they can't figure out how to say "It's back in production" without looking incredibly stupid. Think about it.

No matter what, we will win this fight.

jp-30
03-23-2004, 10:43 PM
All they have to do is to say "due to unexpected overwhelming public pressure, we have decided to continue produduction", and also announce a console port for X-box to increase the potential market size.

guybrush guy
03-23-2004, 10:44 PM
hey guys,
just letting you guys know that i'm mailing out the petition ot LA's office. it's going to cost a hefty fee (about 80 dollers, 1,500 pages) to print profshionlay so i was wondering if anyone is willing to donate a few dollers. all i ask is a few dollers, if not , not a big deal

donation are to be made threw paypal
send donations to guybrush_guy@comcast.net

thanx a bunch guys

The Tingler
03-24-2004, 03:18 PM
21120 signatures?! All right!

Murray the Chao
03-24-2004, 09:52 PM
I just noticed something. Everything that LucasArts has produced lately and is producing is for the ****box. The only thing for something else(GCN)as of late was Rebel Strike(Which is quite good). This leads me to believe that Microsoft may have something to do with this. As we should all know, whatever Microsoft touches is corrupted. It appears that Microsoft's diseased grip has turned LucasArts to the Dark Side.

jp-30
03-24-2004, 11:18 PM
Umm. They have produced or are producing a number of titles for the PC and PS2 of late.

PC

Armed & Dangerous
Secret Weapons Over Normandy
Star Wars Battlefront
Star Wars Galaxies: An Empire Divided
Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Star Wars Republic Commando

PS/2

Gladius
Mercenaries
Star Wars Battlefront
Wrath Unleashed

X-box

Armed & Dangerous
Gladius
Mercenaries
Star Wars Battlefront
Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Star Wars Republic Commando
Wrath Unleashed

Gamescube

Gladius
Star Wars Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike

Wile it looks like LucasARts are abandoning the Cube, I don't see any way you can try and blame Microsoft for the cancellation of Sam & Max.

daltysmilth
03-25-2004, 04:10 PM
I forget which thread was originally talking about this, but I started a thread on the Lucasarts support forums that was indirectly pleading for Sam & Max. You can find it here:
http://forums.lucasarts.com/thread.jspa?messageID=2031߯

daltysmilth
03-25-2004, 04:23 PM
By the way, apparently the only person to reply to the thread so far is the director of the new Batman movie.Check it out (http://forums.lucasarts.com/thread.jspa?messageID=2031߯)

The Tingler
03-25-2004, 06:04 PM
Christopher Nolan's on our side?! All right!

Oh, and LucasArts seems to have obliterated your thread, if your link is accurate.

ThunderPeel2001
03-25-2004, 07:07 PM
Working link: http://forums.lucasarts.com/thread.jspa?messageID=2031

The Tingler
03-26-2004, 11:07 AM
Subtle. Maybe a bit too subtle - I don't think Mr. Nolan knew what you were hinting at. Somehow, I'm guessing its not the same one. I bet the director has a hell of a lot on his plate at the moment, worrying about resurrecting a screwed-up franchise that has the fans eyeing him dubiously, than helping people on the LucasArts support forum.

daltysmilth
03-26-2004, 03:49 PM
Somehow, I'm guessing its not the same one.

I'm sure it's not. I was making a joke. Like how the Mike Nelson we all hate is definitely not the same Mike Nelson who hosted MST3K and wrote Death Rat! But still, if it was the same Christopher Nolan, how cool would that be? No, seriously, how cool would it be? A lot cool or a little cool? On the other hand, it could be that Mr. Nolan understood me perfectly and was trying to shut me down.

ThunderPeel2001
03-26-2004, 08:35 PM
22,300+ people don't want Sam N Max 2 cancelled!!!

Murray the Chao
03-28-2004, 01:26 AM
I just played Sam & Max:Hit the Road yesterday. I really enjoyed seeing Sam & Max get beat up by Lee-Harvey over and over again!

"I should've known"

I sure hope we get Sam & Max:Freelance Police so that we might see more of this kind of humor!

Dr Edison 007
03-29-2004, 10:01 AM
I know they aren't the same Mike Nelsons. One's Michael J. Nelson the other is Michael A. Nelson.