PDA

View Full Version : Oh LucasArts, how do I hate thee...

ThunderPeel2001
03-07-2004, 02:35 PM
... let me count the ways...

1) You don't make original games anymore, you only RELEASE (not develop) a pile of average ones.

2) Even the ones you have developed recently (like RTX Red Rock) suck!

3) 70% of your games have "Star Wars" in the title.

4) There's only been ONE decent game from you lot in two years! (KOTOR) Before that it was Jedi Outcast (2002) and before that it was Grim Fandango in 1998! Yet you managed to released THIRTY FIVE games over the same period (not including re-releases).

That's 3 good games out of 35 released!

5) Far too many games have STAR WARS in the title:

Star Wars: Bounty Hunter
Star Wars: Dark Forces
Star Wars: Demolition
Star Wars: Episode I: Battle for Naboo
Star Wars: Episode I: Jedi Power Battles
Star Wars: Episode I: Racer
Star Wars: Episode I: The Phantom Menace
Star Wars: Force Commander
Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds
Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds: Clone Campaigns
Star Wars: Galaxies: An Empire Divided
Star Wars: Jedi Knight
Star Wars: Jedi Knight (Bundle)
Star Wars: Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast
Star Wars: Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast - Colle...
Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy
Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith
Star Wars: Jedi Starfighter
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
Star Wars: Masters of Teräs Käsi
Star Wars: Obi-Wan
Star Wars: Racer Revenge
Star Wars: Rebel Assault
Star Wars: Rebel Assault I & II
Star Wars: Rebel Assault II: The Hidden Empire
Star Wars: Rebellion
Star Wars: Rogue Leader: Rogue Squadron II
Star Wars: Rogue Squadron 3D
Star Wars: Rogue Squadron III: Rebel Strike
Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire
Star Wars: Starfighter
Star Wars: Super Bombad Racing
Star Wars: Super Return of the Jedi
Star Wars: The Clone Wars
Star Wars: Tie Fighter
Star Wars: TIE Fighter Collector's CD-ROM
Star Wars: Tie Fighter: Defender of the Empire
Star Wars: X-Wing
Star Wars: X-Wing Alliance
Star Wars: X-Wing Collector Series
Star Wars: X-Wing Collector's CD-ROM
Star Wars: X-Wing Trilogy
Star Wars: X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter
Star Wars: X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter: Balance of P...
Star Wars: X-Wing: B-Wing
Star Wars: X-Wing: Imperial Pursuit
Star Wars: Yoda Stories

6) You pushed Sony Online to release Star Wars: Galaxies in July of 2003, yet it has only recently come close to being completed. Meaning that LucasArts fans and Star Wars fans were PAYING to play an incomplete BETA of the game for 8 months!!! (With constant promises of "impending" improvements.)

7) You only released the modestly updated versions of Day of the Tentacle and Full Throttle in SOME territories, leaving our American friends to do without (until WE fixed it for you with ScummVM!!!)

... 100) You greenlit two adventure games and then cancelled them both after months of development and thousands of dollars being spent. Not to mention your loyal fans being disapointed YET AGAIN by your distinctly lacklustre company.

ThunderPeel2001
03-07-2004, 04:19 PM
8) A large number of your back catalogue STILL doesn't work on Windows XP (again, WE, your loyal fans, had to fix them with ScummVM).

9) You decided in 2000 never to make another "classic trilogy" Star Wars game and insisted all new games would be set in the "new" Phantom Menace universe. When you realized what a stupid idea this was (thank to everyone complaining) you changed your mind.

10) All your most talented designers have left your company.

11) You're quickly becoming the new Cryo or 3DO of the games industry (ie mass produced crap that you know will sell).

12) You publish crap original titles (RTX Red Rock, Gladius, Armed & Dangerous) so you have to cancel the decent original titles.

13) Escape from Monkey Island

14) You cancelled Sam N Max 2 a FEW MONTHS before its scheduled release date!!!!!!!!???!!

15) ...

(Join in :))

elTee
03-07-2004, 05:42 PM
15) You care not for your fans, only your bank balance.

Fred
03-07-2004, 05:57 PM
16) You're complete dicks to the Mac using community

Boba Rhett
03-07-2004, 06:11 PM
Yeah but who isn't, Fred? :xp:

Fred
03-07-2004, 07:03 PM
heh. We do seem to be the targets for alot of sh*t :p

Joshi
03-07-2004, 07:14 PM
16) Your sales people couldn't quite figure out in all the time and reseach done by them what it took a load of fans in around the age of about 14-20 about 30 seconds to work out. Sam and Max Freelance Police would work!

jp-30
03-07-2004, 07:42 PM
> , Gladius, Armed & Dangerous

I have to disagree with these two games being "crap". I haven't got a console, but I've read very good reviews of Gladius and heard first hand some very good reports of it. As for Armed & Dangerous, being a huge "Giants" fan, and supporter of Planet Moon Studios I think their Armed and Dangerous is an excellent game - just the sort of thing the tired FPS genre needs.

Planet Moon, you guys rock! But you must be worried about giving your game to a publishing company who runs away from such obvious sales potential as Sam & Max 2. Their marketing department must be sub-par.

:(

theholyidiot
03-07-2004, 08:46 PM
I have to say that I actually liked Escape From MI. It wasn't quite as good as the others, but it was the fourth in the series, so with that in mind, it was very good.

Now then:

17) you completely ignore the hard work of a team for almost a year, then reduce that work to moot.

JBRAA
03-07-2004, 09:01 PM
18) It's a mystery you still attract any talents to your company. Your company has changed from pioneering in game design and made many people for-life-fans of your games - to have turned your back on your talents and walked a road that leads to nothingness.

Laserschwert
03-07-2004, 09:15 PM
18 b) You used to make games other people tried to mimic for years, now it is the other way around.

MrManager
03-07-2004, 10:24 PM
19) You kill kittens.

I can't back that up, but I'm sure there are some cadavers in Mike Nelson's office. :¬:

Udvarnoky
03-07-2004, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by RemiO
19) You kill kittens.

I can't back that up, but I'm sure there are some cadavers in Mike Nelson's office. :¬:

...on the Satellite of Love.

ptdc
03-08-2004, 12:41 AM
20. Where are the linux versions of your games? What? Why are you laughing? :~~~~(

Wizball
03-08-2004, 02:52 PM
21 - You have max. 4 more ocassions to cash in: 1. Star Wars Battlefield, 2. Star Wars Rebel Moon (or something like that), 3. new games based on Episode 3 Star Wars movie, 4. new game(s) based on new Indiana Jones movie.
Then it's over. Star Wars is finished and people will lose interest of games based on it.
No new franchise. You will end up as division of Electronic Arts and some day be assimilated as EA California or something (like Westwood, Origin etc.).

theholyidiot
03-10-2004, 02:59 AM
22) because Tim Schafer and Steve Purcell are dissapointed in you, and I must take that a few steps further, for those men together use their wonder twin powers to take form of... GOD!

CaliMonk
03-10-2004, 09:14 AM
23) because you can't even spell sam & max on your own website (http://support.lucasarts.com/trg/xp/xptitle.htm, scroll down)

Lagomorph01
03-10-2004, 01:16 PM
24) Because you cancel oncoming Adventure successes to make another Starwars or Indiana Jones rip off!

25) Because everybody else on this forum says you suck!

Dalixam
03-10-2004, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by JBRAA
18) It's a mystery you still attract any talents to your company. Your company has changed from pioneering in game design and made many people for-life-fans of your games - to have turned your back on your talents and walked a road that leads to nothingness.

What talent have they recently attracted?

Fred
03-11-2004, 06:22 AM
Originally posted by Wizball
Then it's over. Star Wars is finished and people will lose interest of games based on it.
I highly doubt that. Star Wars fanboys will be around for a long, long time.

NHJ BV
03-12-2004, 03:13 PM
Even Sam & Max hate Star Wars:

http://www.solcon.nl/fhjgoorman/niek/starwars.jpg

:)

JBRAA
03-13-2004, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Dalixam
What talent have they recently attracted?

One of the animators for RTX Red Rock. But he left to work for the second Matrix film. I dont have his URL anymore. I got a hardrive failure and lost 120 GB not so recently. But anyway, he was talented. But the art direction and story of that game wasnt the best though however.

Samnmax221
03-13-2004, 11:00 PM
It's like Ken Lay is running lucasarts these days

ThunderPeel2001
03-14-2004, 12:19 AM
26) Because after 18,000+ petition signatures and ALL of your die-hard fans being incredibly hurt and angered by your announcement... YOU STILL HAVEN'T UNCANCELLED SAM N' MAX 2!!!

27) Your logo was created for a completely different company, yet you annoyingly maintain that it tailored for LucasArts -- citing what each section of it "represents" - ugh.

28) You have started organising your OWN "Fan Festivals" so you can charge your fans $189 to meet each other!!! (This one makes me SICK!)

29) You're in league with the devil (see RemiO's post, above)

30) You have no games in your upcoming releases that I'm remotely interested in.

31) George Lucas's original charge: "Do what you want, but be the best"

Your current motto: "How can we make even MORE money???"

32) The last LucasArts game to be revered by critics and fans alike, and to consistently reach a Top 10 status in "best games of all time" lists was released in 1998 (Grim Fandango).

Six years ago.

33) ...

Murray the Chao
03-15-2004, 06:53 PM
33)Your REALLY poor handling of Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine

Brushguy
03-15-2004, 11:10 PM
34) You no longer continue to support Day of the Tentacle, my second favorite adventure game (Sam and Max being #1)

35) You're going to announce Monkey Island 5: LeChuck Strikes Back, but we all know it would just be a Star Wars tie-in.

36) Even if it was MI, 3D graphics, point-n-click, 5 CDs, Ron Gilbert involved, you'd cancel it after hyping everybody up.

37) No leader right now

38) Your sales department

39) Star Wars

40) You torture your fans...well, what fans you have left

41) You have the nerve to show your face at E3

42)......

;)

shukrallah
03-16-2004, 01:28 AM
Why the hatred towards Star Wars? Star Wars sells.. big.

9) You decided in 2000 never to make another "classic trilogy" Star Wars game and insisted all new games would be set in the "new" Phantom Menace universe. When you realized what a stupid idea this was (thank to everyone complaining) you changed your mind.

..... *cries* i still dont see any Classic Trilogy games on the shelf....

They need to realise, that by making quality games (and movies... Episode 1 and 2 just dont match up to the OT) they will make more money.

Skinkie
03-16-2004, 01:48 AM
Um... isn't the Rogue Squadron series Classic Trilogy? And awesome.. or they were till Sam and Max was cancelled.

Brushguy
03-16-2004, 01:59 PM
42) You attracted SyntheticGerbil, one of the most annoying members who still manages to be un-banned, back to the Sam and Max forums, so now the Sam and Max fans must suffer.

By the way, nothing's wrong with Star Wars, but you can only drag a dead horse so far.

Joshi
03-16-2004, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by lukeskywalker1
Why the hatred towards Star Wars? Star Wars sells.. big. they will make more money.

Exactly, they only care about making money from over merchandised Starwars games and don't care about making quality games anymore. Yes, starwars is a nice thing, i love the movies and obviously there are a thousand stories that can be told in the Starwars universe, but bloody hell, at least try to make a good game without putting the words star and wars infront of it, a lot of other game companies seem to ba able to do this (the fact that other companies actually can't put star wars infron of their games is even better as they look to other places for good ideas and hey presto, seem to come up with them)

Oh, and Thunderpeel, the logo was made for Lucasarts, but LA went and subcontracted a completely different company to design it instead of using their own designers to make the logo and the whole idea was none of the original LA guys idea at all (despite what LA say)

Alegis
03-16-2004, 05:21 PM
Originally posted by Skinkie
Um... isn't the Rogue Squadron series Classic Trilogy? And awesome.. or they were till Sam and Max was cancelled.

RS is the only OT game recently released that i can .. the only thing i hate about LA is cancelling sam&max2 and full throttle (but especially S&M)

and they should try to publish less but make more

ThunderPeel2001
03-21-2004, 01:27 AM
RS is the only OT game recently released that i can (think of)..

Geee..... how about: Star Wars Galaxies! Jedi Academy! Jedi Outcast!

43) You STILL haven't made a statement regarding our petitions!

ThunderPeel2001
03-21-2004, 01:36 AM
500!

Oh, and Thunderpeel, the logo was made for Lucasarts, but LA went and subcontracted a completely different company to design it instead of using their own designers to make the logo and the whole idea was none of the original LA guys idea at all (despite what LA say)

Not quite... but I can't find the MixNMojo article to back me up?!?! Where'd it go???

Murray the Chao
03-22-2004, 12:28 AM
44) making your employees waste a year of hard work on NOTHING

Skinkie
03-22-2004, 01:59 AM
It was probably 2-3 years, and it wasn't on nothing, it was set to be the greatest game ever... urge to kill Rising....

PrinceOfDarknes
03-31-2004, 11:18 AM
45: You lost all your fans just to realse some ****in' Star Wars game. You've over done it with Star Wars. Knock it off already!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

ThunderPeel2001
03-31-2004, 11:31 AM
46) You STILL haven't made a statement about the fan's reaction! No apologies, nothing!

47) You make baby Jesus cry.