PDA

View Full Version : Space battles?

Huntsman
03-20-2004, 01:21 AM
I'm sure this must have been discussed at some point but I don't see a search function on this forum so here goes...

(puts flame suit on)

I haven't heard about space maps being added...will they? Even GC (galactic conquest) a mod for BF1942 has one such maps but I have a sneaking suspicion that in Battlefront, I will not be chasing after tie fighters while weaving between frigates and star destroyers, lasers spitting past in every direction...

...I really live for that sort of thing in the Star Wars universe... :(

Glacius1
03-20-2004, 02:21 AM
I think your right when you say that probably wont happen. Even though it would be mighty cool.

lukeiamyourdad
03-20-2004, 04:49 AM
Rogue Squadron, Rogue Leader, Rebel Strike, X-Wing vs Tie Fighter, X-Wing Alliance, Tie Fighter, X-Wing, Jedi Starfighter, Battle for Naboo, Starfighter...there has been a LOT of Star Wars space games. We need a ground only one.

Galactic Conquest's space maps were horrible. So much lag and weirdness.
My Frigate once "sank" and I was left "swimming" in space :p No seriously lol!

GlobalStrike
03-20-2004, 06:03 AM
I think that it's possible that thet will have space battles. Perhaps in conquest mode since each planet is split into two maps. Maybe the first being in space and the second on the ground. Just a thought. :jawa :jawa

Huntsman
03-20-2004, 01:12 PM
"Rogue Squadron, Rogue Leader, Rebel Strike, X-Wing vs Tie Fighter, X-Wing Alliance, Tie Fighter, X-Wing, Jedi Starfighter, Battle for Naboo, Starfighter...there has been a LOT of Star Wars space games. We need a ground only one.

Galactic Conquest's space maps were horrible. So much lag and weirdness.
My Frigate once "sank" and I was left "swimming" in space No seriously lol!"

Well, while these other games do exist, they are not 16, 32 or 64 player online multiplayer games. All those single player games are ok but AI bots, no matter how good, are not the same as playing real, unpredictable people. I've learned that time and again in games where I played through the single player missions and thought I was "leet", then joined the multiplayer aspect and found out I was a little fish in a big arsed pond!

Multiplayer is where it's at for me...and no I don't want to pay a monthly fee to play Galaxies once the space expansion arrives. I simply refuse to pay full price for a game upfront AND THEN pay for it monthly as well...screw that shiznits :(

Yes, it is clear that GC has a LOOONG way to go...and I had my doubts when .1 was released. However, as of .2, though there are all kinds of problems like you describe (Frigate "sinking" in space LMAO) you can see that the mod has serious potential.

tFighterPilot
03-20-2004, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Huntsman
[B]
Well, while these other games do exist, they are not 16, 32 or 64 player online multiplayer games. All those single player games are ok but AI bots, no matter how good, are not the same as playing real, unpredictable people. I've learned that time and again in games where I played through the single player missions and thought I was "leet", then joined the multiplayer aspect and found out I was a little fish in a big arsed pond!
Jedi Academy siege_destroyer map

'nuff said

Huntsman
03-20-2004, 05:03 PM
Hmmm, I'll have to check that one out.

Chris Anne
03-20-2004, 05:23 PM
I doubt we'll see some Space Combat in Battlefront . As far as I know, the game is all about infantry combat. Maybe the developers will surprise us with a map or 2 that takes place in space -- but I wouldn't count on it.

Mountainforest
03-20-2004, 05:24 PM
It could be one of the mystery plantes. Pandemic told that every major place in the movies would be in the game, so I don't see why there wouldn't be an battle against death star map.

Chris Anne
03-20-2004, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by jasperw
It could be one of the mystery plantes. Pandemic told that every major place in the movies would be in the game, so I don't see why there wouldn't be an battle against death star map.

It's possible, but again I doubt it. As far as I know, there has been no mention anywhere that there will be space battles in the game. I'm sure they would have said something about it by now. If there is a Death Star Map in the game, then the fighting will most likely take place inside Death star -- rebel infantry soldiers vs imperial infantry soldiers. I know it wouldn't make sense since that never happened in the movies but the Star Wars games have rarely stayed true to its original source. :)

tFighterPilot
03-20-2004, 06:04 PM
This will be NO subtitue to the real thing. Won't happen either.

Mountainforest
03-21-2004, 06:03 PM
Pandemic told that the game would really be based on the movies. It wouldn't suprise me if such a map will be added, or else they may add it after the game has already come out, like in JK academy.

tFighterPilot
03-21-2004, 06:06 PM
ITS JEDI KNIGHT JEDI ACADEMY!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111111one

Mountainforest
03-21-2004, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by tFighterPilot

So what?

dark jedi 8
03-22-2004, 12:01 AM
i guess it could happen but that forces everyone to be pilot classes and i dont think anyone would practice teamwork cus everyone would want to be a han solo, and deal with the enemy by themselves. so i dont think its impossible but i also think it wouldn't be done right

lukeiamyourdad
03-22-2004, 02:46 AM
If people are desperate for an MP Star Wars Flight Sim, go play X-Wing vs Tie Fighter. It had a MP mode. Good luck finding some one to play with though.

Besides, the engine will be made for ground combat. They'll have to develop another for the space maps. Too complicated...

GlobalStrike
03-22-2004, 04:43 AM
The engine will also be suited for air combat, don't forget that. :jawa :jawa

Mountainforest
03-22-2004, 03:53 PM
I don't say I wan't that kind of map (it's a shooter), I just say I think there will be because space battles have played a big role in the movies.

Eagle Warrior
03-22-2004, 05:18 PM
there will be air battles so it will be kind of like space battles. i dout that there will be spacebattles. you can call a devestating attack from ships in space if you are a special unit but i dont know which unit this is

dark jedi 8
03-22-2004, 09:34 PM
Imp. officer for the imperials. i dont know about the rest.

Huntsman
03-22-2004, 09:38 PM

Whoa Mohammad...cool it on the caps...

Huntsman
03-22-2004, 10:06 PM
So how quality are the Jedi Accedemy space battles? How many maps? Are they official? Are they deathmatch or are there objectives? Are there Capital ships? Does it (they) capture the Star Wars space battle feel?

Edit: JEDI KNIGHT JEDI ACADEMY!1!1!1!1

NOTE: it really cheese me off when people type "leet" and use the #1 as an exclamation point...

lukeiamyourdad
03-23-2004, 02:56 AM
Originally posted by GlobalStrike
The engine will also be suited for air combat, don't forget that. :jawa :jawa

Air battles are one thing, space ones are another. First off, there's no limit to where ou can fly in space. You can't go too "high" nor too "low". The engine they're making will probably have a too high and too low(crashing) because it's mainly ground. So they're going to have to modify the engine for that part.
It could be one more burden on their shoulders when they should be focusing all of their efforts on the ground combat.

GlobalStrike
03-23-2004, 03:33 AM
Of course they will put limits if they do put space maps, their not just going players to fly around aimlessly for 15 minutes. So of course they will put limits, if they do have space maps of course. :jawa :jawa

lukeiamyourdad
03-23-2004, 03:42 AM
You didn't get my point, of course people won't fly to the end of space.
Think of the maps for SWBF like a huge box filled up with stuff inside. Now, there's a top, there's a bottom and there are sides to a box. In space, no such things exist. That's the problem with Galactic Conquest and its space maps. The engine was build so there would be a ground and a sky. SWBF's engine will hopely be made the smae way. Ground and Sky. They're gonna have to change the engine so it won't have a ground anymore.

BravePatriot
03-23-2004, 07:14 AM
Well I think its a definite possibility. Take a look at Galactic Conquest (BF1942-MOD) the Death Star map is a good format, sure it has its problems but its fun. Sure there will be floor and celing limits but who is actually gonna explore those, the fight will be somewhere in the middle.

VanLingo
03-23-2004, 07:43 AM
If Pandemic is smart, they'll keep their focus on ground and air.

There are plenty of great scenarios with the X-Wing and Rogue Squadron serieses (sp?). There's no reason to be redundant when you're trying to make a breakthrough game.

-- Lingo

P.S. -- They'd be really smart to follow up with a space engine for a separate game...

BravePatriot
03-23-2004, 08:27 AM
Maybe in a expasion pack.

GlobalStrike
03-23-2004, 12:57 PM
Think of the maps for SWBF like a huge box filled up with stuff inside. Now, there's a top, there's a bottom and there are sides to a box. In space, no such things exist. That's the problem with Galactic Conquest and its space maps. The engine was build so there would be a ground and a sky. SWBF's engine will hopely be made the smae way. Ground and Sky. They're gonna have to change the engine so it won't have a ground anymore.
__________________________________________________ __ posted by lukeiamyourdad. You did'nt get my point either, so what if there is'nt limits in space? If they will have space in SWBF they're going to have limits as how far you can fly. It's just not going to go forever like everquest.

GlobalStrike
03-23-2004, 01:07 PM
That's true. Galactic Conquest maps were oringinally made for ground and sky combat, which was why it's space maps were said to suck because it needed different phyisics. And yes i know lukeiamyourdad already posted this point. :jawa :jawa

tFighterPilot
03-23-2004, 03:03 PM
Originally posted by GlobalStrike
__________________________________________________ __ posted by lukeiamyourdad. You did'nt get my point either, so what if there is'nt limits in space? If they will have space in SWBF they're going to have limits as how far you can fly. It's just not going to go forever like everquest. No, you didn't get his point, he's talking about up down east west north south. Even if the map didn't have limits, there will still be the feeling of up and down. Altough by my experiance from BattleField, I noticed that when I'm in a plane, I have no idea what direction I'm heading, that's why I always crash :o

Mountainforest
03-23-2004, 04:16 PM
We should ask somebody from Pandemic, so we can close this thread.

dark jedi 8
03-23-2004, 10:06 PM
even the rogue squadron series had a "box" in the space battles and that didn't take away much from the gameplay. they just showed the animation of a ship turning around.

lukeiamyourdad
03-24-2004, 12:11 AM
Perhaps the "box" thing wasn't such a good idea.

If they made a space mode, they'll have to remove the "ground" . Which is something they shouldn't be worrying about.

Will people get over it? It's been such a long while since we had a ground based game. We already have plenty of flight sims and shooters why more? This game must be concentrating on the ground part. Next time we get a Q/A from Pandemic, ask them this question.

BravePatriot
03-24-2004, 01:51 AM
Ground Battles + Space Battles = A Great Game!!!

Why not have variety in a game? It adds longevity to a game when people have options.

If you want ground combat stick with those maps, but I know if this game had a decent space map no one will say "man I wish they didn't put this fun space map in this game."

So I really don't see the problem.

NeonVampyre
03-24-2004, 12:35 PM
You never know. There'll more than likely be an expansion pack to this game for all you x-wing junkies (and believe me, I'm one of them.) ;)

Eagle Warrior
03-24-2004, 05:05 PM
ya i agree with NeonVampyre there probably will be an expansion. you cant expect everything to work in the first game. you will always come up with other ideas and there will be bugs that were overlooked.

NeonVampyre
03-24-2004, 09:35 PM
Yup. That, and if the game takes off (like I think it probably will), think about all that money the devs will make if they add a space expansion... being able to take part in ground battles and space battles... my mouth is salivating just thinking about that!

:explode:

dark jedi 8
03-24-2004, 10:21 PM
were also getting republic commando, which is specifically ground based. so some variety wouldn't be bad, if they put thought into it.

T1nman33
03-24-2004, 10:38 PM
Yup. My bet is on an expansion pack.

Either that, or somebody in the modding community will do it very soon.

I know that UT2K4 has one space/ground battle. I will have to go home and play that one to see how it feels.

I hope that the crew at Pandemic are paying CLOSE attention to that game...IMHO, it really defines what an FPS is minimally going to have to be capable of to really blow people away.

I wonder how air combat is going to work in the game? They've explicitly said that there will be X-Wings, TIE Fighters, etc., but those ships have a pretty high top speed. I wonder just how big the maps are going to be for them to fit.

lukeiamyourdad
03-25-2004, 02:22 AM
When strfing you're going to reduce your speed. For the sake of gameplay, realism will be toned down.

Huntsman
03-25-2004, 06:03 AM
Originally posted by T1nman33
I hope that the crew at Pandemic are paying CLOSE attention to that game...IMHO, it really defines what an FPS is minimally going to have to be capable of to really blow people away.

"I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough
wiper. I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster and your
father smelled of elderberries."

...and that pretty much sums up how I feel about your designs on the dev team taking ANYTHING from UT. Hopefully they're taking their inspiration from Battlefield 1942, not from that mindless shooter.

...and yes, I am a FPS snob! :roleyess:

NeonVampyre
03-25-2004, 09:30 AM
You even played UT2004?
You should see the space battle you can take part in. Theres lots of potential there, as well as in the Star Wars BF1942 mod that I can't remember the name of.
Hope Pandemic have a look at those and seriously consider space battles in either an expansion, or a possibility as a mod... that'd be so cool... :D

Huntsman
03-26-2004, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by NeonVampyre
You even played UT2004?
You should see the space battle you can take part in. Theres lots of potential there, as well as in the Star Wars BF1942 mod that I can't remember the name of.
Hope Pandemic have a look at those and seriously consider space battles in either an expansion, or a possibility as a mod... that'd be so cool... :D

Haven't played it at length but games like Quake and UT I have played briefly and have seen them played. What I utterly dislike about what I saw was that:

A- they threw realism out the window

B- and more importantly they were nothing but mindless frag fests

I need a shooter that is more complex and has teamwork and tactics at it's heart.

lukeiamyourdad
03-26-2004, 01:40 AM
UT2k4 is a fun mindless fragfest. I like it but not the same way I will like SWBF. When I need to blow off some steam I'll play UT2k4 and when I'm in need of something more serious, I'll play BF1942, BF:V or SWBF.

You're going to have to remember that this game is mainly a ground battle one. The possibility of having space battles are extremely low(and preferably so).

Dr.Davidson
03-26-2004, 09:14 AM
agree. i didnt like ut2k4 cuz everybody i saw was inside a vehicle, and that was quite annoying. bf:v is far better in that relation, there are a few tanks and aircrafts, which have to be dealt with shortly and painfully, and then its done. i like the close combat better, though sometimes id like to have sort of an airfight.
the great about the vehicles in bf:v is that alone its crap, but as soon as you have someone to drive and one to shoot, its great. thats how it should be, imho.

uh, and id like the controls of the air units to be a little bit easier than in bf:v cuz they are really crap if you dont have a joystick, which i dont have cuz i dont use to play flight sims, but not as easy as in ut2k4 cuz then everybody will be waiting for the next vehicle, which is very annoying.

tFighterPilot
03-26-2004, 09:24 AM
I played UT2K4 demo, and loved it! The Onslaught mod is combines team work with strategy. It's not a mindless shooter!

Dr.Davidson
03-26-2004, 10:02 AM
it is, compared to what other games are. if you compare even onslaught to bf:v it is nothing more than a mindless shooter which just has a definded line where you gotta run along.

i tried the following once in ut2k3 deathmatch antalus: i closed my eyes, pressed fire, repressed when i heard i was killed and duckjumped around the map against bots of lvl 7. and it worked, i won the match. no fake.
it is mindless. even onslaught, if you compare with other games.

for ut-relation, onslaught is bloody complicated. but if you played one hour bf:v and then switch to ut2k4 onslaught, you will go nuts anout how simple it is.

but - i loved the demo too, yet now im playing bf:v every free minute (or bg2).

StormHammer
03-26-2004, 08:13 PM
If they release an SDK, then anything is possible. I'd settle for Stormies boarding a ship, like the opening sequence in the original Star Wars. Intense firefights in cramped corridors with droids running for cover...and a planet looming large through the viewplates...

lukeiamyourdad
03-26-2004, 10:03 PM
There's such a map in Galactic Conquest and frankly it's the best one. Very intense with lots of firefights.

dark jedi 8
03-28-2004, 11:26 PM
their could be a tantive 4 map in there. their are still 3 (?) more planets/areas to be confirmed. that'd be really cool, that or an assult on a droid ship like in Ep. 1 (obi and qui gon).

Doomie
03-29-2004, 01:57 PM
i hope they make one. And if not, fans and mod-makers could make one. Just like with BF1942.

Glboricua
04-02-2004, 09:18 PM
Well, if every planet has 2 areas, I think it would be a good idea if on some planets they have one space map. For example, on the Endor map, one map would be on the forest, and the other in space with the Death Star. SWBF does have potential to integrate the space maps, I think would be a better game if they do that. You could choose if you want to fight in space with vehicles or on the ground with units and vehicles.

Dr.Davidson
04-02-2004, 10:52 PM
till now i thought that on endor forest there were gonna be some air vehicles for support such as maybe tie-bomber or x-wing... so i dont think there will be a space map...

dark jedi 8
04-04-2004, 01:00 AM
i assume the only vehicle endor could support would be at-st walkers and speeder bikes. the trees are too tall and close together to have anything else.

Gukkjo
04-04-2004, 07:02 PM
My thought is that if there is a space map, then all the strategy of picking a specific type of soldier is gone. Their special abilities will do nothing for them if everyone is in a ship. Not to mention that the teamwork aspect will be gone. Though not impossible, it is hard to get teamwork when everyone is flying around in different directions.

But that does leave me to wonder what they are planning for the Tie fighters and X-wings...

Huntsman
04-05-2004, 06:20 AM
Well yes and no.

Firstly, though the choice of claases MAY be inconcequential, there will be a finite # of X-wings, Y-wings etc and Tie fighters, tie bombers etc...therefore the different "classes" are essentially the differnt vehicles, each of which will have their own combinations of endurance, firepower, speed, and maneuverability.

Secondly there should also be cap ships which can be piloted and different gunner stations manned aboard them. More importantly cap ships allow for the possibility of being boarded. When this happens, you WILL have infantry combat and the class you choose will come into play.

joesdomain
04-05-2004, 07:46 AM
If they were going to have space battles one should include one map for battle of Yavin like in episode IV and one map for the battle of endor in episode VI. Otherwise I would not care to see any space battles from the prequel trilogy.

tFighterPilot
04-05-2004, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by Gukkjo
My thought is that if there is a space map, then all the strategy of picking a specific type of soldier is gone. Their special abilities will do nothing for them if everyone is in a ship. Not to mention that the teamwork aspect will be gone. Though not impossible, it is hard to get teamwork when everyone is flying around in different directions.

But that does leave me to wonder what they are planning for the Tie fighters and X-wings... It will matter if you choose the pilot class, which will be what everyone would choose.

About the team work, look at Jedi Academy siege_destroyer, it has hellva lot of team play if you really want it.

Gukkjo
04-05-2004, 11:10 PM
It will matter if you choose the pilot class, which will be what everyone would choose.

I was under the impression that pilots don't necessarily fly better than everyone else, but rather they have different abilities. From Lucas Arts (http://www.lucasarts.com/games/swbattlefront/factions.html):
Rebel Pilots are capable at initiating repairs and are also the only units that can eject safely out of damaged vehicles. They are adept at wreaking havoc on enemy vehicles and helping with the construction of makeshift command posts.

Plus if everyone chose Pilot, then as I said the strategy of chosing is gone, because everyone will be/want to be a pilot.

Lt. Havoc
04-17-2004, 06:32 PM
space battles would as compared to creating land based maps would be incredibly easy.

In an old interview concerning Rogue Squadron one developer said the reason most Rogue Squadron maps are on planets is because it makes it more interesting to players. Making a pure space maps consists of the backdrop of stars and then just all the objects inside the box.

Star Wars games always worked to incorparate varied play-ability. Look at the Dark Forces series and Shadows of the Empire.
Having pure space battles would add so much the game.

Simplify the flight controls as compared to the xwing games. Limit player classes, you don't need a sniper in a space battle. Give capitol ships the ability to repair fighters (like the hangar recharge in BF1942). Give capitol ships several defensive turbo laser positions for the "non-flyers" to occupy (like the carriers in BF1942).

Something they should really consider. Vehicles almost always have fewer polys than organic models like soldiers and plants. Also there would be far fewer animations needed for starships versus human models. I bet there would be a notable increase in PC performance every time a map would change to a space battle just because it has to draw so many fewer items. If they wanted to make it cooler they use fog effects in combination with a nicely painted backdrop to simulate a nebula. Of course there's always the asteroid field too. God I hope they don't leave these aspects out.

pink lightsaber
04-17-2004, 09:39 PM
i think i found a way to have space battles and making picking classes strategic. The level can be on two starships in space. the battle can be in side but there are a few shuttle bays with different ships in each one. You can board them and fly out into space and use it to have space battles or a transport to the other ship. That way you will need to pick a good class for fighting on the ship. Also having different ships in different bays could be harder to find for better vehicles.

StormHammer
04-17-2004, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by Gukkjo
Plus if everyone chose Pilot, then as I said the strategy of chosing is gone, because everyone will be/want to be a pilot.

Pilot would be my last choice, to be honest. I like running and gunning...

slapshot16
04-18-2004, 02:11 AM

Secondly there should also be cap ships which can be piloted and different gunner stations manned aboard them. More importantly cap ships allow for the possibility of being boarded. When this happens, you WILL have infantry combat and the class you choose will come into play.

Ummm I think that making the outside and inside of a ship will be to taxing on the system. So that rules out the boarding witch leaves you again with a space map with no teamwork.

edit: WHOOO 50 posts. I am now a gungan grunt. fear my power!!!

lukeiamyourdad
04-18-2004, 02:37 AM
Originally posted by slapshot16
(1)Ummm I think that making the outside and inside of a ship will be to taxing on the system. So that rules out the boarding witch leaves you again with a space map with no teamwork.

(2)edit: WHOOO 50 posts. I am now a gungan grunt. fear my power!!!

1-True. If we all started on starfighters only without having the starship's interior, there would be an increase in PC performance. However, we can run on the starship so really not much of a difference.

2-And I'm a hot chick ;)

We cannot have pure simple flight controls. We need a 3d radar first and foremost. If we kept it like in Galactic Conquest and Rogue Leader with a 2d radar that would suck. The radars were so useless...

BTW there probably won't be space maps. There has been loads of flight sims and flight shooters based around Star Wars. I know none of them had great MP capabilities but we have had more then our share of it.

Mountainforest
04-18-2004, 08:22 PM
Is this thread about repeating your arguments or what?

Posting here is ueseless, everybody says everything triple.

tFighterPilot
04-18-2004, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by StormHammer
Pilot would be my last choice, to be honest. I like running and gunning... FFS we're talking about space maps! Where the f*ck have you been?!?

tFighterPilot
04-18-2004, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by slapshot16
Ummm I think that making the outside and inside of a ship will be to taxing on the system. So that rules out the boarding witch leaves you again with a space map with no teamwork.

edit: WHOOO 50 posts. I am now a gungan grunt. fear my power!!! Once again, look at JA's siege_destroyer

It's HUGE, and the Star Destroyer has some inside area (the hanger, where the imerials spawn). It looks really big from the inside, and really small campared to the whole Star Destroyer. That's a REAL SIZE Star Destroyer right there, and it doesn't slow anything down! I bet that if there were a bit more inside areas to the Star Destroyer, it wouldn't slow the thing down either.

But that's Jedi Academy and that's Battlefront...

lukeiamyourdad
04-19-2004, 02:05 AM
Yup. SWBF doesn't use the old Q3 engine.

tFighterPilot
04-19-2004, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by lukeiamyourdad
Yup. SWBF doesn't use the old Q3 engine. But that doesn't mean the engine is less good.

lukeiamyourdad
04-19-2004, 11:16 PM
The engine is now quite old and doesn't have very high requirements even for MP. On the other hand, BF1942 and BF:V both have high requirements(well not that high anymore but hey). We can easily guess that SWBF falls into the category of BF1942/VietNam.

Huntsman
04-22-2004, 08:10 AM
Ok, I just got jedi academy and DLed the seige_destroyer map. It looks really cool in spectator mode but 2 problems:

- I can't find any populated servers playing this map

and

- It won't show on my map list so I can't host it

Does anyone know how to host this map? Also, can anyone who plays it give me an IP of a server that typically has people playing it regularly?

I wish the map were a bit bigger and a few more cap ships but the star destroyer looks excellent. I also noticed they put in some classes for the map. Pretty cool.

joesdomain
05-07-2004, 02:57 AM
I have heard you can win the death star if you beat the rebels on endor. I don't know how they are going to do that. If someone got that they will invinceable. Unless they have a map devoted to you playing as the rebel fleet and fighting the death star.

Eagle Warrior
05-07-2004, 08:26 AM
i think that to win the death star you will have to be VERY good. then when you win it you you will have to recharge. when it is recharging the enemy will have to detroyed the dish that is giving the death star shield:deathii: is it is 2 and destroy it before the death star has time to fire.

joesdomain
05-08-2004, 01:36 AM
Sounds interesting! Maybe it is the last map in the battle between empire and rebels. The game will probably move from map to map in order we see the planets in the movies.

Schetter
05-11-2004, 03:58 PM
All you people going 'Yea they should include space battles because that would be cool" need to chill out and take this into consideration: do you want an game that is well put together, stable, and bug free or a game that is buggy, glitch-prone, and as a result, less fun to play because they tried to tackle too much in one game? Also - would you like SW:BF to come out this September or in 2005?

Hmm?

Whether space combat in SW:BF will be feasable depends on how their game engine handles gravity. In BF:42, it's handled rather half-a**ed since there was no real need to make it as detailed as in, say, UT2004. Try turning the gravity down to about -1 in a BF:42 server and you'll see what I mean, especially if you try and get in a plane. Whether they make the gravity as 'fluid' as in UT is up in the air - they don't really need to, but it would be a nice touch. It would open the door for space mods and custom space maps, but I really don't think this game needs it as a part of the retail package.

There are plenty of games, PC and console, to quench your starfighting thirst. It's not like space battles should have any large effect on what is going on with the battle on the ground, so including simultaneous space/ground battles is almost pointless (and a netcode logistical nightmare). Besides, there'll be plenty of opportunity for y'all to tool around in your snowspeeders on Hoth.

I run a BF:42 squad that plays the game competetively in various online leagues, and I'm looking to create a new division for this game when it comes out. I'm looking at it from a competetive standpoint, and this game really does not need these ridiculous space battles. Calling in strikes from space is cool, but that's about all that's necessary. Anything more and you might as well just create another title.

Leave space to the modders and let the designers deliver the retail package they set out and promised to make. If its so ridiculously easy to create space battles (like Lt. Havoc points out below) then let the community build them and let those who want to play those maps play them.

This game is not and should not be thought of as the game to end all SW games, otherwise you're going to be sorely disappointed. This game was obviously designed with BF:42 in mind and a newer, Star Wars version of BF:42 is what we're going to get.

lukeiamyourdad
05-11-2004, 06:11 PM
Amen.

you're my new best friend:D

Huntsman
05-11-2004, 06:35 PM
There are not plenty of starfighting games. In fact, in recent years they have really dropped off the radar. There are CERTAINLY NOT any multiplayer Star Wars games that place us n space. There are one or two maps created by modders of existing games and that's it. ...and that's not enough, not by my reckoning. In any event, these games are always limited by the game engine which wasn't made to fully impliment the vision of the modder.

You may consider space battles " ridiculous" and you are welcome to your opinion but I do NOT share it....and nor do many others. Weaving around Star Destroyers in an epic battle in multiplayer is what I've sought for some time out of the STAR WARS game.

As you say it should be "ridiculously easy to create a space map" so we shouldn't be asking too much from the developers...

This game is indeed as you say "obviously designed with BF:42 in mind and a newer, Star Wars version of BF:42." Hell everyone wants to hop on this new cash cow band wagon but it does not use the same engine as BF1942 and I would rather wait a bit longer for the game to be released and get everything I want rather than have it rushed out.

You seem to see space as extra and unnecessary. Along this vein, shall we take out air combat in BF1942? It is the same. Space combat is as intergal a part of the STAR WARS universe as much as air combat is part of the full WW2 experience.

The point of these kinds of games in to integrate the full combat experience of a scenario whether it be WW2, Star Wars or anything else...and in STAR WARS, that experience would be incomplete without space.

lukeiamyourdad
05-11-2004, 09:03 PM
1.There are not plenty of starfighting games. In fact, in recent years they have really dropped off the radar. There are CERTAINLY NOT any multiplayer Star Wars games that place us n space. There are one or two maps created by modders of existing games and that's it. ...and that's not enough, not by my reckoning. In any event, these games are always limited by the game engine which wasn't made to fully impliment the vision of the modder.

2.You may consider space battles " ridiculous" and you are welcome to your opinion but I do NOT share it....and nor do many others. Weaving around Star Destroyers in an epic battle in multiplayer is what I've sought for some time out of the STAR WARS game.

3.As you say it should be "ridiculously easy to create a space map" so we shouldn't be asking too much from the developers...

4.This game is indeed as you say "obviously designed with BF:42 in mind and a newer, Star Wars version of BF:42." Hell everyone wants to hop on this new cash cow band wagon but it does not use the same engine as BF1942 and I would rather wait a bit longer for the game to be released and get everything I want rather than have it rushed out.

5.You seem to see space as extra and unnecessary. Along this vein, shall we take out air combat in BF1942? It is the same. Space combat is as intergal a part of the STAR WARS universe as much as air combat is part of the full WW2 experience.

6.The point of these kinds of games in to integrate the full combat experience of a scenario whether it be WW2, Star Wars or anything else...and in STAR WARS, that experience would be incomplete without space.

1. Check your sources, XvT featured multiplayer support. Oh by the way...there are plenty of starfighting games:
-XvT
-XWA
-XW
-Tie Fighter
-Rogue Squadron
-Rogue Squadron II
-Rogue Squadron III
-Jedi Starfighter
-Starfighter
-Battle for Naboo

Number of ground based Star Wars title:

-Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds
-Dark Forces
-Jedi Knight I, II & III
-Bounty Hunter
-Jedi Power Battles
-etc.

Only one focuses on the grunts and it's SWGB. The rest are more like adventure games.

2. Of course. They should make that after they make this.

3. There's a difference. I'd rather have them focusing totally on the game now instead of wasting time making space maps.

4. Marketing will stop that. The game comes out at the same time the OT DVD comes out. You won't make them wait.

5. You seem to forget that there have been WWII games that concentrated only on one part of warfare. There have been air combat only games. This game focuses on planetary battles, not space ones.

6. No. There have been no Star Wars game that focused on planetary battles(with the exception of SWGB but that's an RTS and not an MMOFPS). This game obviously doesn't integrate the "full" Star Wars experience.

I've played enough Star Wars flight sims in my life to want a game that focuses mainly on ground war.
Keep in mind that this is not supposed to be the ultimate Star Wars experience as BF:1942 was not the ultimate WWII experience.

yaebginn
05-11-2004, 09:23 PM
I agree with lukeiamyourdad, I think. I do enjoy flight sim games, but there are too many for my taste. While I dont want the flyign part to be crappy, I want it to be mainly focused on the ground battles.

Schetter
05-11-2004, 09:34 PM
There are not plenty of starfighting games. In fact, in recent years they have really dropped off the radar. There are CERTAINLY NOT any multiplayer Star Wars games that place us n space. There are one or two maps created by modders of existing games and that's it. ...and that's not enough, not by my reckoning. In any event, these games are always limited by the game engine which wasn't made to fully impliment the vision of the modder.

You may consider space battles " ridiculous" and you are welcome to your opinion but I do NOT share it....and nor do many others. Weaving around Star Destroyers in an epic battle in multiplayer is what I've sought for some time out of the STAR WARS game.

I'd enjoy a good SW starfight sim just as much as you would that takes advantage of present-day advances in computer and internet technology. However you all are proposing that LucasArts inject a flight sim into a ground based game - and furthermore should figure out some magical way to have the ground war and the space war intertwine into some massive SW orgy.

As you say it should be "ridiculously easy to create a space map" so we shouldn't be asking too much from the developers...

This game is indeed as you say "obviously designed with BF:42 in mind and a newer, Star Wars version of BF:42." Hell everyone wants to hop on this new cash cow band wagon but it does not use the same engine as BF1942 and I would rather wait a bit longer for the game to be released and get everything I want rather than have it rushed out.

You seem to see space as extra and unnecessary. Along this vein, shall we take out air combat in BF1942? It is the same. Space combat is as intergal a part of the STAR WARS universe as much as air combat is part of the full WW2 experience.

The point of these kinds of games in to integrate the full combat experience of a scenario whether it be WW2, Star Wars or anything else...and in STAR WARS, that experience would be incomplete without space.

LIKE I SAID - there's ample room for the mod community to make maps such as this for those interested to dink around on. Obviously the marketing guys decided that a game like SW:BF would sell better than yet another SW flight/vehicle sim at this point due to the current gaming climate. It's not a matter of creating a supergame for all us SW fans to totally get off on, it always has and always will be creating a product that sells and that people can play enjoyably. Scope, scope, scope. Hmm...what's a game that tried to take on too much and sucked until they patched the crap out of it....hmmm...SW:Galaxies ring a bell?

Also - LIKE I SAID - there will be ample opportunity for you pilots to flex your muscle on maps like Hoth in the Snowspeeders and the like...Speeder bikes on Endor, etc.

Space is not extra and unnecessary in terms of the entire SW universe - I'm not an idiot. I'm saying it's unnecessary when considering the intended scope of this game.

Your comparison of my arguement against the air support in BF:42 is out of context - it is NOT the same. Starfighters aren't built to go on straifing runs over planets - about the only exception is that of the TIE Bombers, and that can be easily coded in as AI air support that 'pilots' can call in on an area. Not to mention that a pilot that knows his stuff can upset the game balance in BF:42 dramatically. Rock-paper-sizzors my a$$. One pilot can dominate an entire team in BF, hardly consider that fair. Sure, air support and combined arms were a main element in the overall strategical makeup of WWII historically, and should recieve some representation in the game. However you can't tell me that this scenario ever happened in any WWII battle: infantry unit spots tank, radios directly up to pilot requesting air support, pilot swoops in about 30 ft over the ground and lands a 50 lb bomb square on the turret, then reloads the bombay out of the stash of 15 such bombs that it carrys. GIMME A BREAK. So, in response to your question, yes, I'd enjoy seeing planes either nerfed or taken out of the mix in BF:42.

DarkLordTrooper
05-11-2004, 09:45 PM
If you want a good space combat game, just go buy Rogue Leader or Rebel Strike. Battlefront should be ground-combat only.

Huntsman
05-11-2004, 10:36 PM
"LIKE I SAID - there's ample room for the mod community to make maps such as this for those interested to dink around on. "

...and I already made an arguement as to why mods are inferior to the game being built to include the dynamic.

"One pilot can dominate an entire team in BF, hardly consider that fair...So, in response to your question, yes, I'd enjoy seeing planes either nerfed or taken out of the mix in BF:42."

Sounds like someone needs to practice with the anti air weaponery.

"Your comparison of my arguement against the air support in BF:42 is out of context - it is NOT the same. Starfighters aren't built to go on straifing runs over planets"

Again, I'm looking for space battles...I'm sure we'll see them in the game as air support anyway. While it is true that they would be in an exclusive role (all starships), rather than complimentary role in an integrated scenario (ground units and air units) I am arguing on the side of completeness. Again, space battles are a significant part of the Star Wars universe.

"Hmm...what's a game that tried to take on too much and sucked until they patched the crap out of it....hmmm...SW:Galaxies ring a bell?"

What games isn't released needing to be patched to hell....better yet, name a single massive multiplayer game (as Galaxies is) that was released in a complete state.

Huntsman
05-11-2004, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by DarkLordTrooper
If you want a good space combat game, just go buy Rogue Leader or Rebel Strike. Battlefront should be ground-combat only.

DarkLordTrooper , I'd like you to take the time to read my posts before responding to them in the future. I said MULTIPLAYER.

Huntsman
05-11-2004, 10:53 PM
1. Check your sources, XvT featured multiplayer support. Oh by the way...there are plenty of starfighting games:
-XvT
-XWA
-XW
-Tie Fighter
-Rogue Squadron
-Rogue Squadron II
-Rogue Squadron III
-Jedi Starfighter
-Starfighter
-Battle for Naboo

Number of ground based Star Wars title:

-Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds
-Dark Forces
-Jedi Knight I, II & III
-Bounty Hunter
-Jedi Power Battles
-etc.

Roger, but as you've said XvT was the only multiplayer but it looks like it might have sucked.

Anyway, I'll be looking towards Galaxies I suppose once the Space expansion is released. The pics I saw looked breathtaking. I am just loathe to pay a monthly fee tho :-(

Was I looking for the FULL STAR WARS combat experience in this game? Yes, I was kinda hoping.

Schetter
05-11-2004, 11:30 PM
"Sounds like someone needs to practice with the anti air weaponery."

Sounds like someone has never played BF competetively in a clan in the upper-eschelon. Don't turn this into a flame war. I post a page full of arguements and that's all you have to refute it? Pfft, nice comeback.

"Roger, but as you've said XvT was the only multiplayer but it looks like it might have sucked."

Sounds like someone has also never played the game. XvT was AWESOME and I'd still play it had it not been stolen and if I wasn't too lazy to not want to try and dig another copy up.

lukeiamyourdad
05-11-2004, 11:36 PM
Lol. You really need to play BF1942 with good players to see how planes are overpowered. Even anti-air weaponry are no match for them.

XvT was awesome, the graphics kinda sucked but the game was great.

I could also say that space battles is a significant part of Star wars and want it added into say Kotor2. Can it be done? No.
Even if we could do that with the engine, Kotor is an RPG as SWBF is a ground based shooter.

Huntsman
05-12-2004, 03:20 AM
nolimitclan.com

Look for Huntsman. I used to captain my own squad but retired from that position. NoL plays competitively in a number of leagues.

I'll grant you I haven't played vanilla BF in awhile, mostly DC and BFV but when I used to play vanilla I really didn't have much of a problem. I just don't know what to tell ya bro...

Schetter
05-12-2004, 09:50 AM
AA guns used to be effective until all the n00b pilots complained and they nerfed them in a patch. Not to mention that the top pilots these days will altitude whore if you start flaking them and then just come down vertically on you with their engine off, rendering your gun useless if you even notice them coming in on you.

It takes 7-10 direct/really close hits with the flak gun to take down a plane in BF. How's that balanced? I mean, you can't even take out infantry with the flak without 4 hits.

Huntsman
05-12-2004, 12:42 PM
Ah yes...going into a steep dive was my tactic when they released the Coral Reef map. As I remember, I took off, ascended above the clouds the whole route to the enemy carrier, and used the minimap to locate the carrier.

Once above the enemy carier I'd go into a steep dive (I loved the whine sound this created) dropped my load then pulled up below the deck of the carrier, letting the momentum created by the dive carry me to saftey.

There was a disadvantage to doing this on Coral though, it took quite a bit longer to line up the bombing run....and if you have enemy bombing your carrier at the same time, you're in a bit of a time crisis. I usually just made the vertical attack my first surprise attack then came back in from varying angles horizontally as close to the water as possible.

I haven't played vanilla BF since probably a month or two after the release of the Battle of Britain map though.

Schetter
05-12-2004, 01:37 PM
Wow. That puts you at patch 1.4? Yea, that would explain your view.

lukeiamyourdad
05-12-2004, 08:53 PM
It's easier to destroy tanks with the flak guns then to destroy aircrafts:p

Huntsman
05-12-2004, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by Schetter
Wow. That puts you at patch 1.4? Yea, that would explain your view.

Well, I guess it's a good thing I went to DC and never looked back...

Huntsman
05-12-2004, 09:21 PM
It's easier to destroy tanks with the flak guns then to destroy aircrafts:p

AS IT SHOULD BE!

Come on, who wants to get shot down? :rifle1::x-wing: What's the fun in that I ask you!? :D

joesdomain
05-12-2004, 11:39 PM
I personally think anti-air units should not be used in some of the maps. Such as Hoth map! The empire can use one of it's at-at walkers to shoot the snowspeeders. Really there is no need for anti-air in the endor map since there is no aircraft seen in the movies except a Imperial Lamda Class Shuttle landing on top of the landing platform.

lukeiamyourdad
05-13-2004, 08:06 PM
AS IT SHOULD BE!

Come on, who wants to get shot down? :rifle1::x-wing: What's the fun in that I ask you!? :D

Actually, I do. Well, not me but I like to piss off people and kill their fun :D

yaebginn
05-13-2004, 09:52 PM
If you saw the trailer(second one) and the screen of the Jedi Starfighter on Kamino. You can kind of see what its like. I'm gonna go watch the trailer again, cyas.

SITH_ShadowCat
05-13-2004, 09:56 PM
Originally posted by joesdomain
I personally think anti-air units should not be used in some of the maps. Such as Hoth map! The empire can use one of it's at-at walkers to shoot the snowspeeders. Really there is no need for anti-air in the endor map since there is no aircraft seen in the movies except a Imperial Lamda Class Shuttle landing on top of the landing platform.

The anti-air unit your referring to is the same as the anti-vehicles unit, or the heavy trooper unit, its just that the rocket launcher they use is effective against both ground and air vehicles. I just hope we don't see abunch of bazooka lamers running around spamming the game with explosions, this counts for grenades too. Plus, regular troops can probably take out an air-craft without the need of a heavy troop at the side, kinda like how the ground troops from Force Commander shot at the air unit incase one forgets to bring the anit-air.

Schetter
05-13-2004, 10:02 PM
Interesting how the AA debate pertaining to BF got turned into a SW:BF one. *shrug* oh well...at least kinda back on topic.

I think the new gameplay footage featured on Gamespot pretty much clears up any confusion about this - seems there will be limited space play but the physics of it definately seem to be pretty childish.

Lt. Havoc
05-14-2004, 01:50 PM
I'm looking forward to the ground based combat of Battlefront and I'm especially excited about the speeders and At-ATs but I still feel there should be space battles even if they are pure space battles (meaning starships and fighters only).

I still say from a design and development aspect the space battles would be far easier to create. It would require 1/100th the work to create a space map than to make a land based map. Any mappers out there can tell you this. Basically for the maps its fill the sky box with the appropriate space backdrop texture, define the out of bounds, set capture points (which could look like nav bouys or spacestations) and place the objects (the ships). Modeling the starships doesn't have to be a huge undertaking. What's the bare minimum we need to see on Star destroyers as players?
1. The exterior.
2. The interior of the bridge from which players can pilot the ship and use turbolifts to transfer to other parts of the ship.
3. The Hangar where the fighters will spawn.
4. Turbolaser batteries.

Think of how the carriers are in BF1942. They usually have 2-3 spawn positions. Use this method. When the maps starts you chose where you'd like to spawn depending on what you'd like to do: defend, pilot or pilot fighters. In each of the 3 interior sections set lifts so that if & when players approach it automatically takes them to another parts of the ship. What it means is you don't have to have an intense interior and resource taxing model. No hallways, barracks, mess halls etc. Do this for a small range of objects like Cruisers, spacestations, SD and frigates. Those coupled with the already modeled fighters would be enough for some great multiplayer space battles.

Developers change their plans to meet demand or widen the range of game play. Look at the maps Coral Sea and Battle of Britain for BF1942, how much foot soldier work is there in those? I'm confident at some point, through some update or expansion they'll figure it out.

PrivateBlaster
05-16-2004, 10:54 AM
dont know someone said that already :
see destroyer siege map for jedi knight 3 ;)

maybe to make the size for a space map :
at the end of the map all wings automatically fly/turn back (180).
it would be fantastic with battles in the galaxy, otherwise there wont be real athmosphere from starwars. :tie: :x-wing:

look at starwars galaxies - the addon.
i think they can do that with battles in galaxies, because they have make the difficult All Terrain Armored Transport (AT-AT), too.
:atat: :atat:

and its not enough to fly with wings only over maps, to small size and maybe laggy because all the things on the map...
only on hoth :D but that is an other thing.