PDA

View Full Version : Did MI4 suck or what???

Mally
05-04-2004, 02:21 AM
I have been playing the MI games for like 10 years now and i'm pretty sorry to say that MI4 totally sucked balls, i know its a game joke that guybrush gets no respect but they took it too far and if they couldnt get a decent 3d engine DON'T MAKE THE GAME 3D!!!! If they do make a new MI i sure hope they do a way better job then they did in the last installment. What do you guys reckon?

Thrik
05-04-2004, 06:35 AM
Yep, I agree, although this really is a dead horse and EMI's mediocrity has been brought up many times. You're correct, they tried to emphasise the aspects of the game which made the previous games so popular, and went too far.

An example being the use of modern technology and electronic lighting and such in the previous games. It was subtle, which made it funny. In EMI we've got a horrible tourist island full of the stuff, which was just ... Jambalaya Island gives me nightmares.

The humour was also very bad for the most part, failing to raise even a smirk from me. The characters, locations and puzzles were totally unmemorable, totally not fun (especially such ones as the swamp and monkey combat) and in general a chore to play.

It's pretty much the only adventure game I cannot bear to replay. It's too painful.

Now that's the last time I go for a full-on EMI bash, I swear. I've done it too many times now.

Demonic Skull
05-04-2004, 07:46 AM
No, it did not. Granted, it wasn't the best of the 4 games, but saying it "sucks" is just stupid when you're probably wanting a fifth game.

Thrik
05-04-2004, 08:38 AM
Wanna bet?

Joshi
05-04-2004, 12:24 PM
Come on, the only place we actually saw vast amounts of electricity being used in the first game was at Stans, and for some reason, that just fitted so well. Jambalaya island, now that's just creepy. Sorry, but I can't let that monkey swing on that nose in the first game without thinking about emi now and that's not a good thing.

Yes we want an MI5, we want it to rectify the mistakes made in EMI. No, it wasn't the worst game in the world, but if you were to compare it to the other three games, hell would spit it back out it would.

I can at least say that on it's own, yes, it was an okay game, but it can't really hold it own with games like the first three, or Broken Sword or The Longest Journey.

Thrik
05-04-2004, 05:48 PM
Exactly. It's the worst adventure game I've played in my years of gaming, so I'm not going to pretend it's good just because I'm a fan of the series. Personally, I can't see an MI5 being any better with the direction LucasArts is going - such as showing a total lack of interest in adventure games and firing staff left right and centre.

You may think I don't mean it, but I really do. I hate the damned abomination of a game.

Live Undead
05-05-2004, 06:04 AM
EMI is hillarious ... in a good way! They maybe ... just maybe went too far with the monkey Robot .... but apart from that it was great, and god dammit I'm gonna say it ... I liked Monkey Kombat!

Joshi
05-05-2004, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by Thrik
Exactly. It's the worst adventure game I've played in my years of gaming, so I'm not going to pretend it's good just because I'm a fan of the series.

So either you have a really bad impression of EMI because of the abomination it is on the MI series, or you just haven't played Simon The Sourcerer 3D, because quite frankly, whatever good points EMI had (it had a few) STS3D couldn't even get that, Simon didn't come acros a cool kid because he was mean to everyone, he just came across as an annoying git who you didn't really care about. so much infact that I never did get round to completing the game and really don't care about doing so.

At least Guybrush in EMI was someone you could care a smidgen about, if not only a smidgen. I have to say, I don't fully agree with you Thrik for two reasons , 1) I'm not you and having the ssame opinion as everyone else is just stupid, I pride myself on my individuality and 2) I did infact find some parts of the game okay, like the pirate school sequence (the concept of it is crap, I really didn't like the whole de-piratise the Caribbean, it seemed that at the end of the game Ozzie had alread done quite a bit of damage which won't easily be rectified after the end of the game, but the sequence was good... slightly) and the diving contest wasn't as much of a chore as say Monkey Kombat (any game that has you repetitively trying something in order to reach one goal is crap, at least the insult fighting in SOMI and CMI had new humour to it each step of the way).

But I do have to say, the worst adventure game i have possibly played at all in my gaming life has to be Simon the Sourcerer 3D, it's just plain stupid.

Thrik
05-05-2004, 05:02 PM
You're right, I haven't played it.

I was expecting a lot from EMI, but it disappointed me so hard that I've just developed an utter hatred for it. The atmopshere of the islands fails to immerse me at any single time, the characters were quite frankly pathetic and boring (with the exception of previously established ones that they still managed to screw up slightly (H.T. Marley?! Please..)).

Furthermore, the 3D graphics were horrible. The look of the whole game completely turned me off, which immediately made it hard for me to enjoy. If I were asked to find some aspects of EMI I enjoyed, I really would struggle. The soundtrack is probably the only merit it had, and it even managed to screw that up by integrating all the sound effects horribly with the music and, just to make it completely impossible to hear the tracks uninterrupted, LucasArts never bothered releasing it on CD.

Honestly, I've tried -- I really have tried to like EMI. I just can't.

Live Undead
05-05-2004, 05:08 PM
I really didn't like the whole de-piratise the Caribbean, it seemed that at the end of the game Ozzie had alread done quite a bit of damage which won't easily be rectified after the end of the game [/B]

That's not what Monkey Island is about!!! You have to "get with it" don't worry about that thought of thing and let the game take you on a magical and mystical - and often hillarious - journey to the inner depths of your soul :)

Joshi
05-05-2004, 05:14 PM
Well to each his own I guess. I too had big expectations of EFMI, but as I have a slightly more optomistic outlook on life (although of late it's now more realistic which I think can be a nice combination, but at the time of EMI's release, it was rose coloured glasses all the way) I think I found it easier to find things that may have remotely been good in the games.

Of course as you grow and mature, you find things that aren't as funny anymore (amazingly, that hasn't happened with any of the previous games, save for little tiny bits of CMI) and a lot of things I can find wrong with the game now (from reading many a movie magazine in the past year or so, I've developed a taste for critisicm and therefore can look at a game and point out it's flaws and truimphs).

You have to admit, there were a few good one liners around the place in the game, if only one liners and very small. What I missed were the random stuff you didn't need to pregress, but were funny anyway. It had pointless dialogue, but nothing I would visit again should I replay the game, whereas in the first three, well, the pirate songs in CMI (and the beginning of LCR) were great, the wood chuck game, the random talks with herman in MI1, they were all classic. Nothing much memorable in EMI.

Skinkie
05-05-2004, 10:42 PM
Personally I enjoyed throwing the weedwhipper at Herman, repeatedly. It really relieves some stress.

Udvarnoky
05-06-2004, 10:53 PM
It's got memorable music. You've got to give it that. If nothing else, the music is good.

Originally posted by Thrik
Personally, I can't see an MI5 being any better with the direction LucasArts is going - such as showing a total lack of interest in adventure games and firing staff left right and centre.

Well, LucasArts' direction is the cause of a lot of problems, but I don't think EMI's outcome is one of them. Sean Clark and Mike Stemmle were the most capable people to take over the series left at the company. LucasArts' problems would be the reason an MI5 won't exists at all or will be cancelled; it wouldn't be the reason for bad jokes and the storyline of the game itself.

EMI featured a kind of humor that doesn't quite fit with the MI style for me, and seemed more akin to Sam & Max (if a little less rude). This is one of the many reasons I was looking forward to Stemmle's involvement in Freelance Police.

Live Undead
05-07-2004, 05:46 AM
Why does the date read 5/7 when it's only 5/6 ?

Jedi-Monkey
05-08-2004, 02:55 PM
I liked EMI, my main problem was the controls. I like point and click. And the 3d graphics were bad too. I loved the cartoonyness of CMI.

There are some funny parts in EMI, like the duck.
The stuff about Jambalaya and the pirate rehab. You are supposed to hate that. The game is about getting rid of it. The fact that it was over the top added to that hatred.
The monkey kombat annoyed me after the initial laugh I got from it.
The Monkey Robot and the destruction of the giant monkey head was wrong. That was a real giant monkey!!! You see its bones in SOMI!
I like the game, but easily its not as good as the other three.

Thrik
05-08-2004, 04:48 PM
What they did with the monkey head in EMI was just beyond words. It's like they totally ignored it ever existed before the game. And how the theme park and such totally disappeared without a single trace at all ... the hell?

That's an interesting way to look at it all, regarding hatred, but it doesn't work for me. We're supposed to hate LeChuck too, but I love the damned character. He's bad in a good way, whilst Jambalaya was totally bad in a totally bad way. It was a horrible experience to play the game during that (large) period in my opinion, and if a game provides a horrible experience then it definitely isn't a game I'm going to like.

I didn't enjoy the other islands either. The islands we've seen before (Melee/Monkey) felt completely off, whilst Lucre Island just had this terrible feel to it which I can't put my finger on. All in all, it's not a game that I look back on fondly and doesn't leave me with any nice thoughts on it whatsoever.

Jedi-Monkey
05-08-2004, 05:28 PM
Melee and Monkey Island were off. Compare the maps and you see how EMI has screwed them up. Theyve added a whole new mountain to Monkey Island. Its just bad.

Skinkie
05-09-2004, 01:26 AM
I think the words your looking for to describe Lucre are Smurf Village.

Joshi
05-09-2004, 02:07 PM
How exactly did the governors mansion end up on the other side of the island from Melee town? In SOMI it was just a stones throw away from the church. And the cliff was way too far away from the mansion, in SOMI, you could basically do a running jump from the doorstep and end up plummetting about 200 feet to the sea.

And monkey island was just wrong, if you rip the artwork for monkey island from SOMI, you'll find it looks nothing like emi's Monkey island.

Thrik
05-09-2004, 03:11 PM
Eugh, nothing on Melee Island was how it should be. The town looked completely different and didn't remotely resemble a pirate-era town, it just looked like a few buildings in the middle of a clearing.

The Scumm Bar was just ... what?

The layout of everything was totally warped, and not in a good way. They screwed up one of my favourite islands in the series. Then they went and screwed up Monkey Island, which I liked even more in the original.

Jeeeez.

Tapanga
05-10-2004, 02:03 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't say sucked but it wasn't great. I thought all the characters looked lame in 3D and everything was way to futuristic for the traditional MI games, I mean Jambaliya Island (spelling?) What was that?! don't get me started on Planet Threepwood. I want the 5th game to be just like CMI that was the best out of the 4 games. :D

sith_master2000
05-19-2004, 03:31 AM
WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE!!? MI4 is, the best MI game ever. The character's are in cartoony 3D, it has great jokes, the bad guy's an Australain which proves we can make it into games :D , monkey combat was fun, the story was great, actually I can't think of anything that was wrong with it, and I hope MI5 will have the same if not better graphics and more great characters like I. Cheese. "Wait a minute your name is 'I Cheese?'" "Aye" "Cheese?" "Aye".

Joshi
05-19-2004, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by sith_master2000
WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE!!? MI4 is, the best MI game ever. The character's are in cartoony 3D, it has great jokes, the bad guy's an Australain which proves we can make it into games :D , monkey combat was fun, the story was great, actually I can't think of anything that was wrong with it, and I hope MI5 will have the same if not better graphics and more great characters like I. Cheese. "Wait a minute your name is 'I Cheese?'" "Aye" "Cheese?" "Aye".

it's just a matter of opinion dude, MI1 and 2 were way better in my opinion, but then some say that they aren't because they've got crap graphics, no voices and bad sound. well to be honest, I liked all that about it, plus the humour was much better and funnier than EMI. And EMI was just stupid in it's way, in MI1 we had a nice piray amousphere and then in EMi, we suddenly get Jambalaya Island and Planet Threepwood. I mean come on! we fell in love witht he game because of it's humour and piratey atmousphere and then suddenly we get bad humour and worse taste. Nope, just didn't like it.

Das Mole
05-19-2004, 08:55 PM
actually, i agree w/thrik on this one...

mi4 really did stink. if it was the first monkey island that i had played, i probably wouldn't think it was bad, but maybe b/c i played the other three, esp. in sequence, seeing the progression as the years passed, so i was expecting mi4 to be sooo good, and then it wasn't. once you make one game and people play it, you've set a bar there, and if you can't clear it w/the next game, some people just aren't satisfied, and that was me. and judging from what thrik said, i'm guessing he's probably in the same boat as i am...

i guess some people liked it though, for whatever reasons, even though i personally didn't like it all too much, but...

i just wanted to share my opinion. *shrug*

MightyPirate
05-20-2004, 12:53 AM
Yea right, you have got to be kidding me. MI4 was an awesome game and really made the series good. I played MI3 and that was awesome, and then I played MI4, and it didnt get any worse. Great game, 10/10.

Joshi
05-20-2004, 04:45 AM
Again, matter of opinion, but I do agree with thrik and das, if only a bit as thrik seems to hate it with a passion (I think we can use the word loath), whereas I simply dislike it as a Monkey island game, but think it's reasonable as an adventure game.

smokes o' pot
05-20-2004, 06:04 AM
Whats all this about not making it 3d. Grim Fandango was seminal. Broken sword, a lesson in game making to Lucaswars. Personally, I enjoyed playing through it. It made me laugh out loud in places. I liked them bringing back old fav characters. It was more original than curse. It had a half decent ending. Alas if you compare it to what they did in Grim it's a tame effort.

As for joshi, damn you, you have me pressing space after me commas now!!!!!

JawaJoey
05-28-2004, 12:49 AM
I thought EMI was great. It's a bit annoying how they warped Melee and Monkey Island. And I agree, they could ahve done a little more to explain the complete and utter evaporation of Carnival of the Damned. Then there's the continuity errors that either a) shouldn't be there. or b) be explained in the game, no have to realy on fans to patch the wholes.

The plot wasn't the same "the pirate menace lechuck," and it'd be hard for it to be new if it was. The plot matched the new atmosphere of the islands with the graphics, which I personally loved, they were just trying something new, and I though tit worked. And I was pleased with the controls.

Humor was great too. And I have to give it the "Best Use of 'You Fight Like a Cow' Since it's First Use" award.

I thought it was a great game, plain and simple.

And it scares me how people hate it so deeply, especially people with such creepy avatars. :D

Joshi
05-28-2004, 02:48 PM
That guy up there^
Humor was great too. And I have to give it the "Best Use of 'You Fight Like a Cow' Since it's First Use" award.

No, that goes to CMI for it's
"Every enemy I have met I have annihilated!"
"Oh yeah? Well... You fight like a cow!"

JohnnyPark
06-11-2004, 02:23 AM
EMI might have been more enjoyable if it wasn't 3D. After being so used to the old LA Scumm interface, I can't stand not having a mouse cursor on screen. It really disconnects me from the game. Also the 3D didn't really do the game any justice; they should have stuck with the art of CMI.

(I did, however, like Grim Fandangoís use of 3D, only because it was something new - never did I want it to become a standard for other games)

Skinkie
06-12-2004, 01:39 AM
Hey! Johnny Park! (http://www.sing365.com/music/lyric.nsf/Hey-Johnny-Park-lyrics-Foo-Fighters/8E94BB25A51E5F5C482568BE00156B04)

Oh that's a little off topic, but I had to bring it up.

Anyway, why don't they just realize it's cheaper to make 2D adenture games and most of us would be happy with those. Especially if a Mr. Bill Tiller did the artwork. Am I right?

Largo LaGrande
06-12-2004, 06:41 AM
Hi Mally

I played Monkeys Island ever since MI1 was released back in 1990 and MI2 was released back in 1991. 14 years on and I still play them constantly completing them over and over again and I enjoy them immensely MI1 and MI2 are Classics.

MI1, MI2 remain as my most favourite classic story games of all time along with my other most favourite story games, Indiana Jones And The Fate of Atlantis, Hook, Curse of Enchantia, The Legend of Kyrandia, Manic Mansion along with many others.

In my Opinion, now this is just my opinion as a Veteran Gamer for me personally MI3 and MI4 were just good story games they were not good sequels and should never of been released as Monkeys Island games they are by no mean Classics.

I have MI3, MI4 I have played them completed them I hardly ever play them know. Yet I still play MI1 and MI2 14 years on and not just for Nostalgic purposes I play them because as a fan of story games I enjoy MI1, MI2 the most.

In my opinion hereís the reason why MI3, MI4 are not as good as MI1, MI2.

The reason Ron Gilbert creator of MI and project leader left Lucasarts after completing MI1, MI2. In his contract because he was working and creating games for Lucasarts sadly all the rights for MI belong to Lucasarts. Ron Gilbert left and Lucasarts continued the MI franchise.

When Ron Gilbert Left as creator of Monkeys Island he left with a brain full of all the original ideas he had for the sequel to MI2 and any ideas for MI games after that, as well as vast knowledge and lots of experience. Lucasarts continued with there own ideas for MI by Making MI3, MI4. MI3, MI4 were not good sequels and for me personally they are not the real sequels the real sequels remain in the brain of Ron Gilbert. Unless Lucasarts get back Ron Gilbert and announce in true Monkeys Island style that MI3, MI4 were just a dream then MI games will just continue to be nothing more than good story games.

"This is just my Opinion".

"Shiver Me Timbers"

Thrik
06-12-2004, 08:30 AM
Of course, then we'd end up with Ron telling us all that MI1 and MI2 were a dream / imagination.

nioe
06-12-2004, 03:23 PM
I think we as fans have to accept that the MI series has moved on to new creative territory with a whole new cast of mainly inexperienced people working on it. With Ron Gilbert being gone a number of years I can't see him leaving his own company to start on another Mi. However I agree and have said many times before that EMI was a disappointment mainly due to the complete lack of atmosphere I believe due to the graphics. Bring back a polished version of the graphics from CMI now that had atmosphere. However I don't believe that this will happen in the monetary world in which we live, game success is measured on units sold and not critical acclaim recieved. For that reason I believe that we as fans will have to suffer through a number of inferior sequels until perhaps a real fan who remembers the first three MI's takes charge, that or a someone with a few good new ideas. Either way we'll be waiting a while. That was a boring one but thaks if you read it through

Joshi
06-12-2004, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by Largo LaGrande
Hi Mally

I played Monkeys Island ever since MI1 was released...

I would just like to point out that 'The Secret of Monkey Island' and 'Monkey Island 2: LeChucks Revenge' were both collaborative efforts by Ron Gilbert, Tim Schafer and Dave Grossman. Therfore, in order to get back that unique humour that we got when playing MI1 and 2, we would need to get all three of them back, and considering they've all gone their seperate ways (Schafer producing that potentially great game 'Psychonauts' and Grossman writing poems every week) I doubt that will happen.

But if it did happen, then it would be possible for a great monkey Island game to come out of them. that is a game I would definately buy and play, and then play again.

Largo LaGrande
06-13-2004, 06:09 AM
Hi Nioe

Maybe we will have a few more under par sequels before any big changes for MI are made. But i think it is going to be sooner rather than later. Because if like you suggest MI game success is measured on units sold and not critical acclaim recieved, then they will see MI4 was not a large sucess. Because it dident last long in the top half of the offical games charts. Elspa who run the offical games charts measure each game on units sold worldwide which suggests MI4 wasnt huge or sucessfull in units sold terms.

The MI franchise is still one of the top names in the games industry its classed as a AAA title. As a AAA game it dident manage to sell as good as some of the none AAA games, and it wasnt long after release before they dropped the price of MI4 just like they did with MI3 and then bundled it with the other MI games in a box set for good measure so you can buy them all at a low price. So heads will have roled at Lucasarts Studios MI department. And there will have been changes hopefully project leaders ect, it would be nice to see Ron Gillbert Back behind the whell of the ship again but we will have to see.

Hi Joshi

Secret of Monkey Island' and 'Monkey Island 2: LeChucks Revenge' were collaborative efforts. And so having all of the team back would be great.

Ron Gilbert was Project Leader, Lead Programer, Designer
and Created and Designed Monkeys Island. And i think just to have him back would be good enougth for me. However Tim Schafer and Dave Grossman also Bret Barrett, Tami Borowick although they were just the Programming team working with and for Ron Gilbert, my ultimate wish would be to have all of them brought back to make MI games.

Now despite the fact they have all gone their seperate ways they havent had much sucess recently. And if Ron Gilbert returned to Lucasarts to his old roles then as the project leader he has the right to choose his programers and team. Therefore his choice would be Tim Schafer and Dave Grossman also Bret Barrett, Tami Borowick and they would be back in a flash along with others.

Lets hope it happens and soon.

Also for the PC does anyone know if there will be any sequels coming out to the following story games Hook, Curse of Enchantia, The Legend of Kyrandia 3, Maniac Mansion, Dark Seed 2, The Dig and Indiana Jones And The Fate of Atlantis. I know numerous Indian jones action games have been released but a story game sequel to it has not been released as far as i know.

Dr Edison 007
06-13-2004, 06:37 AM
Also for the PC does anyone know if there will be any sequels coming out to the following story games Hook, Curse of Enchantia, The Legend of Kyrandia 3, Manic Mansion, Dark Seed 2, The Dig and Indiana Jones And The Fate of Atlantis. I know numerous Indian jones action games have been released but a story game sequel to it has not been released as far as i know.

It's called Maniac Mansion, and yes there has been a sequel, it was called Day of the Tentacle and was released in 1994.

Largo LaGrande
06-13-2004, 01:06 PM
Sure thanks for the spell check. Also personally i dident think Day of the Tentacle was a sequel it was more like the Tentacle from the game Maniac Mansion in a spin off game of his own it wasnt a stright sequel.

Cheers

Joshi
06-13-2004, 03:13 PM
It still had Dr edison, his wife, his sone and that geeky guy who's name I can't remember (Bernard?)

And yeah, Gilbert did come up with most of the story and jokes of MI1 and 2, but note, tim Schafer came up with the entire concept of Grim Fandango (okay, so the Mexicans basically came up with the [i]concept[./i], but you know what I mean). To have him on board would be great.

But Schafer's company "Double Fine" is actually doing quite well and I think Psychonauts wil do very well for him.

Skinkie
06-13-2004, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by Joshi
It still had Dr edison, his wife, his sone and that geeky guy who's name I can't remember (Bernard?)

Bernard Bernoulie. Also Laverne, and Hoagie, but they weren't in the other game so it doesn't really help your point.

Was cousion Ed? in the first one?

Largo LaGrande
06-14-2004, 07:56 AM
Excelent I will have to get it ive never wanted to get it because i dident like the look of the stlye of graphics. Its actually called Maniac Mansion 2 Day of the Tentacle i should of got it ages ago its a straight sequel.

Dr Fred Edison and Nurse Edna Edison were cool but my most favourite charcter was Mr and Mr Edisons son weird Ed Edison its cool the way you can steal his hamster and watch him cry or steal his post and watch him get upset from the gid and the music was the music was awsome.

Joshi
06-14-2004, 04:59 PM
Dude. For a start, DOTT (day of the tentacle) is way better. And plus, if you haven't played maniac mansion in a while, it doesn't matter, you don't have to, but if you want to, it comes with DOTT, as a game within a game.

Unfortunately, the only place I've seen if for sale is in a double pack with sam n max Hit the Road, but hey, that's good to.

Oh, and DOTT's major plot point is about re-stealing Weird Ed Edison's hamster.

Not really, but you do get to do it!

Strasse
06-14-2004, 07:47 PM
DOTT is totally worth getting if you haven't played it! Just for the fact that it comes with Maniac Mansion alone, like Joshi said.

Also, for those that enjoyed the older 2d monkey islands a lot, but wants more of a challenge, to me personally, DOTT was a b*tch to complete. I found the tentacle game a lot harder than the Monkeys, but I never was particularly good at games of any kind hehe.

Joshi
06-15-2004, 11:26 AM
Th difficulty in DOTT comes with the fact that at any point in the game (mostly), you can switch between the 3 characters, which means the story doesn't follow a straight line like most adventure games do. Even now, afetr completing it about 3 times, it still takes me a while to figure things out.

But the whole 3 time periods thing was a stroke of genius.

Largo LaGrande
06-15-2004, 12:41 PM
Thanks I am definitely going to get the Lucas Classic Line multipack because that includes Maniac Mansion 2 Day of The tentacle, Sam and Max and the absolutely awesome Amiga classic, Indiana Jones And The Fate of Atlantis. The new version of Lucas Classic Line doesnít include Indiana Jones And The Fate of Atlantis the older version does so thatís the one I will be getting.

Also I was searching for news to see if there would be PC sequels to some Amiga classics like The Curse of Enchantia, The Legend of Kyrandia, Hook Dark Seed and Indiana Jones And The Fate of Atlantis.

I typed in Indiana Jones And The Fate of Atlantis 2 and apparently there was going to be a point and Click sequel to Indiana Jones And The Fate of Atlantis called Indiana Jones And The Spear of Destiny. But like Sam and Max 2 and Full throttle 2 it was cancelled it would be great if the decided to make it again.

Joshi
06-16-2004, 02:05 PM
Like throughout many companies and many times in the past, that game probably never got off the ground, they thought they were going to make it, but then didn't (like the original Full Throttle 2 which basically only had concept art before it was axed).

I wouldn't get annoyed with LEC over this (as I'm sure some would do with the news that they cancelled another game, despite it being years ago) as all companies do this all the time.

Largo LaGrande
07-01-2004, 12:15 PM
The sequel to Indiana Jones And the Fate of Atlantis, Indiana Jones And The And The Spear of Destiny was in the advanced stages of production then they decided not to release it.

If Indiana Jones And The Spear of Destiny was released it would have been a dream sequel to one of the greatest point and click adventures of our time.

I would rather Lucasarts had never told us of the sequels existence because when they drop a game of that status after telling us you are left dreaming of what it might have been like.

I know some games companys do cancel games but they dont anounce they are going to release a game then cancel it thats very bad and if they do its very rare and it is usually the small companys that do this.

Its not like its Lucasarts's first time, Lucasarts are the only games company that do this Consistently its a very bad habit of theres I have never seen a games company other than Lucasarts anounce and then cancel so many amazing games.

:indy:

pirate boy
07-01-2004, 03:38 PM
You know they have a job oppening in their creative department. If one of you guys has a BFA you oughto apply. Get these great titles flowing. :)

pirate boy
07-01-2004, 03:39 PM
Oh and btw a spear of destiny Indiana Jones would've be AWESOME.... still would be but with the whole evolution theory I don't think it'd happen.

Joshi
07-01-2004, 03:40 PM
Lucasarts never announced the production of the Indiana Jones game, or the original full throttle 2 game, they were unrooted in interveiws and so on from people who didn't work for the company anymore.

And with the second attempt at Full throttle 2 and sam n Max 2, they both came along with trailers to back them up, so they were pretty sure that both games would do actually make it which is why the told us about them before cancelling them. They don't go into the project with the intent of cancelling them you know.

Largo LaGrande
07-02-2004, 02:41 PM
Lucasarts never announced the production of the Indiana Jones game, or the original full throttle 2 game, they were unrooted in interveiws and so on from people who didn't work for the company anymore.

And with the second attempt at Full throttle 2 and sam n Max 2, they both came along with trailers to back them up, so they were pretty sure that both games would do actually make it which is why the told us about them before cancelling them. They don't go into the project with the intent of cancelling them you know.

I must correct you Joshi.
After Indiana Jones And The fate of Atlantisís release and its success a current working Lucasarts representative was interviewed in I think it was Amiga Power which at the time was a very high profile magazine for Amiga Gamers and he mentioned that they were currently working on a sequel called "Indiana Jones And The Spear Of Destiny although this wasnít at E3 Lucasarts did announce the production of the game.

If Lucasarts donít intend to keep cancelling games, for a so-called professional games company they have a lot of experience in the cancelling games department. Also Full throttle 2 was not only at concept art stage when it was ditched. Full throttle 2 Hell on wheels was virtually completed and was officially announced at E3 on 15 May 2003 as Full Throttle: Hell On Wheels available for PC, PS2 from 11 Sep 2004, and a movie trailer for the game was shown to the crowds as a 2D point and click adventure I think it looked absolutely excellent and the crowds loved it. But after it was announced on Friday the 8th of august 2003 Lucasarts announced they had decided to stop production of the game. In a press release The President of Lucasarts, Simon Jeffery, said, "We do not want to disappoint the many fans of Full Throttle. "[We] hope everyone can understand how committed we are to delivering the best quality gaming experience that we possibly can.Ē For me Disappoint is just what they did once again in a very unprofessional way. If you want to see the press release or the ďFull Throttle 2 Hell on WheelsĒ Movie trailer go to computerandvideogames.com.and search for Full Throttle 2.

Once again The same thing happened to Sam And Max 2 it was virtually completed and was officially announced at E3 on Tuesday 13th May 2003 as Sam And Max 2 Freelance Police available for PC from spring 2004 and loads of screenshots and 2 movies trailers for the game was shown to the crowds it was a combination of action, puzzle solving and jocular banter between dog and bunny it also looked fantastic I certainly liked the look of it and again the crowd loved it. On the 06 Jan 2004 Lucasarts where also interviewed by Computerandvideogames in which they announced various characters and various features of the game. On Thursday 4th March 2004 only 12 months after cancelling Full Throttle 2, Lucasarts announced it is discontinuing production on Sam & Max Freelance Police, With another very poor excuse Lucasarts Mike Nelson, acting general manager and VP of finance and operations confirmed: "After careful evaluation of current market place realities and underlying economic considerations, we've decided that this was not the appropriate time to launch a graphic adventure on the PC". And Lucasarts yet again disappointed its fans only months before release. If you want to see the Sam And Max 2 Freelance Police Press release or the Interview, screenshots and Movie trailers got to computerandvideogames.com and search for Sam and Max 2.

When games get to E3 and you anounce release dates you dont dissapoint the fans and trash them afterwards thats very unprofessional, to do it twice in a row thats extremly unproffesional.

I totally agree with what computerandvideogames said, they do have a very bad Quality control department that cancels so many great games. The Quality control department cancel a great game like Full Throttle 2 Hell On Wheels, and yet they allow a very poor quality game like Super Bombard racing to get released.

:sam::max::indy:

Skinkie
07-03-2004, 01:39 AM
I belive Joshi meant this Full Throttle II (http://mixnmojo.com/php/site/gamedb.php?gameid=116), which was indeed only in the concept art stages.

Largo LaGrande
07-03-2004, 06:36 AM
Thanks but I understand what Joshi was talking about he was using Full Throttle 2 Payback as an example to Indiana Jones And The Spear of Destiny. He said it was just like the original Full Throttle 2 which basically only had concept art before it was axed)

Which I have answered already. I said The sequel to Indiana Jones And the Fate of Atlantis, Indiana Jones And The And The Spear of Destiny was actually in the advanced stages of production then they decided not to release it.

My Last message was in reply to

I hope you understand now Skinkie and Either way Full throtle 2 Payback is irrelevent it was not the offical sequel it was not offically anounced and was only a heap of ideas and storyboards ect. And after they started work on it they ditched the project and the name.

Lucasarts then started work on a second idea for the sequel to Full Throttle and after some time, Lucasarts then anounced it offically at E3 as Full Throttle 2 Hell On Wheels they gave the format the release date, showed a movie of the game in action and gave various info on the game.

A while after the anouncement in various interviews, info on the sequel and the story of how it was created including the first version they had in mind Full Throttle Payback was given. I dident want mention Full Throttle 2 Payback becasue its irrelevent to talk about Payback was not the sequel it was just an idea, Full Throttle 2 Hell On Wheels was not just an idea it was the Offical anounced and was almost complete.

Thanks all the same because of havent seen that particular interview you posted, I had read one in Amiga Power instead.
:guybrush:

Joshi
07-03-2004, 05:53 PM
They announced Hell on Wheels way before E3, we all knew about it at least a few moths before, in it's early stages.

And yes, I was talking about Payback rather than Hell On Wheels. And I guess I was wrong about indie, but I do stand on what I say when I say that they don't go into a game with the full intent of cancelling it halfway through production, the early stages of any project always involves a veiw of how conceivable the end product would be and whether it would be worth it based on market trends and so on. In my opinion, LEC should ahve never started sam n Max 2 because in the time they srated it to the time they cancelled it, very little change had happened in market treands and anyone could see that adventure games weren't exactly the biggest sellers. Buit LEC were content on making this game, it was probably outside influences from the project team that made them stop.

Oh, and being a regular at mojo for the past 3 years, I know all about the rise and fall of both hell on wheels and freelance police and have both trailers (2 for hell on wheels, a very early one)

and to be honest, hell no wheels didn't look too great, it had too much of an action feel to it and the graphics weren't good enough for it to be in 3D (and was that red haired girl meant to be Mo?!). Yes, it was unprofessional, but if they had released hell on wheels, it was a safe bet that it would have brought down the entire quality value of the full throttle franchise a lot, just as EMI did to the monkey island series.

Largo LaGrande
07-03-2004, 09:28 PM
and to be honest, hell no wheels didn't look too great, it had too much of an action feel to it and the graphics weren't good enough for it to be in 3D (and was that red haired girl meant to be Mo?!).

I liked the look of it and i think it would of been a good game although I agree about it being more action than point and click. Sam and Max Freelance would of been an amazing game it looked the part and it had alot of exciting features. Personally I think it was a big mistake to cancel Full Throtle 2 Hell on Wheels And Sam and Max 2 Freelance and the same goes for Indiana Jones And The Spear of Destiny.

Yes, it was unprofessional, but if they had released hell on wheels, it was a safe bet that it would have brought down the entire quality value of the full throttle franchise a lot, just as EMI did to the monkey island series.

Maybe Lucasarts dont mean to start developing a game take it to E3 to offically show it of and set the format and offical release date, and then cancell it just before its release, but they sure have made a habit of it, and it makes you think what type of Muppets they have working for them.

As for Lucasarts having a strict quality control department how the hell did the Muppets at the lucasarts quality control department allow such a very poor low quality game like Super Bombard racing to get released.

Monkey_Master99
07-27-2004, 07:45 AM
Honestly, it was the worst 3D ever look @ the credits @ the start 2 they just changed no effects @ all.:manny:

Joshi
07-27-2004, 10:46 AM
Yeah, @ may look cool as a nice way to abbrieviat two letters, but it's not, it's really not.

Grammar is a nice things to.
And structure. Of any kind.

Now, try saying that again in full English.

smokes o' pot
07-27-2004, 12:15 PM
Still giving out about grammer joshi??? Man, give it a rest. Now remember everyone never press "," without pressing space afterwards because joshi will come to your house and he will....CUT YOU!

By the way this is a joke joshi so please don't reply with one of your infamous argumentitive replies.........:)

Largo LaGrande
07-27-2004, 12:21 PM
Joshi I didnít find anything Monkey_Master99 said at all offensive and you were quite insulting to them Monkey_Master99 is a new user and it was their first post I didnít think it was a good example to set by being rather insulting to them you should be encouraging not upsetting people. I just think you should be less aggressive and just give your opinion and views on the subjects. Personally this is about Monkeys Island itís suppose to be fun and constantly correcting people for their grammar is not fun and itís irrelevant. Again this is not a dig just my advice on how to improve this site.

Now back to the subject I have to agree with Monkey_Master99.
For the first ever Monkeys Island in full 3D it wasnít very good graphically and Le Chuck looked rubbish and very low detailed. I liked the other characters they where very good and so where the voiceovers. I would like to see Monkeys Island 5 to be 2D and in Photo realistic graphics or at the least 3D and photo realistic Graphics.

:monkey4: :monkey4: :monkey4: :sweating:

Skinkie
07-28-2004, 12:25 AM
I feel compelled to stick up for Joshi, I probably should just let him do it on his own, but I'm feeling argumentative. He is the moderator of these forums and so it is his duty to try and make sure the place is run properly. His points about grammer are vital as many of the readers do not have english as their primary language. Joshi is just trying to make sure that these folks have as much opportunity to understand what is going on as everyone else.

smokes o' pot
07-28-2004, 09:51 AM
Well I was joking.....I know exactly why he does it. He can be a *rick about it though instead of explaining about the different languages. Just look at his last post on this thread.

Oh, we must have plenty of structure.

Here is some more of that structure now, man, I just can't get enough structure.......BALLS!

As for this Largo chappy, you can be a bit of a *rick too. Hee! Your posts are wayyyyyyyy (Sorry about the grammer joshi) too long.

Anyway, im only joking and taking sly digs. Don't argue this post please, I don't have the energy.

Largo LaGrande
07-28-2004, 10:51 AM
Thanks Smokes youíre obviously a fan of mine to take the time to read them its most appreciated. Don't feel bad a lot of people have no talent!.

Joshi
07-28-2004, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by smokes o' pot
Still giving out about grammer joshi??? Man, give it a rest. Now remember everyone never press "," without pressing space afterwards because joshi will come to your house and he will....CUT YOU!

By the way this is a joke joshi so please don't reply with one of your infamous argumentitive replies.........:)

Yeah, you know what, I'm just not gonna dignify this with an actual answer.

Largo, I didn't find it offensive either, just hard to understand.

Largo LaGrande
07-29-2004, 05:15 AM
Joshi Either way cut out the Grammar check the majority of messages from you in all the different posts in the Entire Monkeys Island forum are about Grammar. A sharp tongue is no indication of a keen mind.

smokes o' pot
07-29-2004, 10:56 AM
"Yeah, ye know what, i'm not going to dignify this with an actual answer"

I don't think i wanted an answer, although the above quote is an answer of sorts. I was just making a point. I think you proved it.

As for this Largo bum, I dont read your posts. I noticed they mostly consist of inane dribble, most of them you are arguing with joshi, most of them are longer than an Usbekistanian wedding!

Largo LaGrande
07-29-2004, 01:05 PM
Smokes O Pot they were old posts in which Joshi wrongly accused me of spamming he apologised. So Joshi is not as bad as you think despite his constant correcting people for their grammar.

Smokes O Pot calling you stupid would be an insult to stupid people so just stop arguing.

Joshi
07-29-2004, 01:57 PM
Joshi Either way cut out the Grammar check the majority of messages from you in all the different posts in the Entire Monkeys Island forum are about Grammar.

Unless you can prove that at least 2230 of my posts are about grammar (and I know for a fact that they aren't) you have no right to say that at all. This whole thing has come about in the past week or so at which point I have made about five or six posts mentioning this and only in most extreme cases where I, a member of these forums for which English is my first language, find it hard to understand and worry about the many members of this forum, for whom English is not a first language, and kindly ask people to take slightly more care in the future.

I now deem this heated discussion to a close and for us to get back to the topic in hand, unless you really want to argue some more.

smokes o' pot
07-30-2004, 05:10 PM
Finally we are in agreement.

PurpleMouse
08-03-2004, 08:25 AM
TAlso I was searching for news to see if there would be PC sequels to some Amiga classics like The Curse of Enchantia, The Legend of Kyrandia, Hook Dark Seed and Indiana Jones And The Fate of Atlantis.

There are sequels to The Legend of Kyrandia, its a trilogy. They are "Hand of Fate" and "Malcom's revenge"

Das Mole
08-03-2004, 10:07 AM
i love the legend of kyrandia! hm. don't have anything else to say. i was going to comment on the grammar argument, but apparently it's over now, so i won't bother.

Largo LaGrande
08-03-2004, 04:17 PM
I know there are sequels to The Legend of Kyrandia its indeed a trilogy. The Legend of Kyrandia , The Legend of Kyrandia Hand of Fate and The Legend of Kyrandia Malcom's revenge.

What I want is another sequel to The Legend of Kyrandia series or even a re-release of the trioligy on Pc, or sequels to The Curse of Enchantia, Hook, The Dark Seed series and Indiana Jones And The Fate of Atlantis.

Thanks anyway

Thanos6
08-03-2004, 11:17 PM
EMI definitely could have been better: 2D graphics, point-n-click, fix the plotholes. And a glitch at the Mystes O' Time had me stuck for almost a month and a half.

But I thought it was about as funny as the rest, and if the plot had been not quite as sloppy, it would have been pretty nice.

Das Mole
08-04-2004, 05:38 PM
a glitch at the Mystes O' Time

oh, god. i know what you're talking about. i have/had a glitch in my game (don't know if it's the same one) where when i told guybrush to pull out the clipboard, he put the stick in the water, then pulled it out and put it away, then picked up the stick or something. of course, this was on my second time playing the game, so it didn't get in my way of beating the whole thing at least once, but it was still annoying as hell.

Thanos6
08-04-2004, 07:43 PM
Yes, that exact one. I had to restart from scratch.

Das Mole
08-04-2004, 08:01 PM
yeah. that frustrated me so much.

there were so many other glitches and things as well, the whole game made me mad. the puzzles, i thought, stunk. i could've made better puzzles than that. overall, mi4 was just a big catastrophe. although the mi series wouldn't be the same without it (actually, it would).

Skinkie
08-05-2004, 12:45 AM
No it wouldn't because there's only be 3 games, and 5,000,000 less plot holes.

Megadanxzero
08-08-2004, 09:17 AM
MI4 was the worst thing that could possibly have happened to the series. Nobody wanted a rubbish 3D game, with puzzles that was just annoying rather than fun, and nobody wanted the entire series to be completely ruined forever. I'm sure somebody's noticed this before, but I'll say it anyway.
In MI4 you 'discover' that Herman Toothrot is H.T Marley (Elaine's dad) but he can't be because Herman Toothrot was the first mate on the ship that Guybrush takes to Monkey Island in the first game. It has his name in the captain's log! I think that absolutely nothing in MI4 has any relevance the the rest of the series, and we should all just deny it's existance.

And I wish Ron Gilbert would tell us what was supposed to happen in MI3! :mad:

Udvarnoky
08-08-2004, 01:18 PM
MI4 was great, if not quite up to par with the others. And I assure you, it is NOT the worst thing that could have happened to the series. Clark and Stemmle were probably the most capable people at LucasArts to make the game. Who else would you have picked? Now that just about everyone is gone, I think a team that would be assembled to make MI5 would be rather unequipped as far as "Monkey Island" experience (which seems to be what you people want) goes.

Okay, so I was extremely pissed by the Herman Toothrot/H.T. Marley thing. That's probably my biggest gripe about the game. And you could make a case that the Herman in MI1 and MI2 was a separate person altogether.

Joshi
08-08-2004, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Megadanxzero
And I wish Ron Gilbert would tell us what was supposed to happen in MI3! :mad:

According to Gilbert, the whole of MI1 and 2 was meant to be a little boys dream whilst he wandered through a theme park, explaining the ending of MI2. the evil eyes thing was meant to be a sort of explanation should there ever be a sequel, but Gilbert didn't have one in mind at the time, to him, the game was finished, but had the potential to go on. I don't know if he has a story in mind now, but yeah, that was basically it.

USSSkipjack
04-07-2008, 03:41 PM
Oh dear, it sucked, I mean it really sucked.
I am just playing (or should I say trying to play) it.
I got a cheap rerelease of the game, so it "only" cost me 10 Euros, but even that seems to much.
So where do I start:
1. The graphics. I mean come on Lucas Arts! The characters look like they have been modeled by a 3 year old. NOTE one can make nicely modeled and styled characters with few polygons (and yeah, I know what I am talking about), but these models are just badly designed. I mean compare this to the graphics in MI3, which looked, waaay, waaay better. Personally I do not know any reason for them to make 3d- characters other than budget reasons (you dont have to hand- draw animation phases for every perspective and situation). But if you do something like that do it right!
The background graphics dont win an Oskar in my book either. I mean there is a whacky style and thats good, but this can still be drawn in a way that does not only look whacky, but also good, if you know what I mean. This most of the time looks just like badly rendered stuff, sorry. I have seen much better in free adventures.

2. The controls are insane! It feels like a console game (but was never released on consoles from what I know). Seems to me like some marketing fuzzy thought "uhm consoles are selling good, console games are selling good, maybe we should uhm make it more like a console game so uhm it sells good..." WRONG! There is a reason why there are so few adventures on consoles and that is that the controls of consoles just outright suck compared to a mouse, when it comes to adventures (and some other games too if you ask me, but noone does anyway).

3. This game is horribly buggy. I mean unplayably buggy! I am currently experiencing some returning bug that looks like this: A windows pops up that says
" Congratulations you have Found a bug! More than 12 MB of resources have been blocked. Report it to the authorities and then restart the game and return to work"
What is that? Is this supposed to be funny?!!! I am not your fracking Beta- Tester! If you want me to Beta- Test for you, then pay me! You obviously forgot to pay yours, or is there any other reason for the amount of bugs in this game? Anyway whenever this Window popps up I have to reload a previous save game or the game will slow down to a crawl (on a computer that runs just Oblivion fine, btw) and wont get back to normal speed again, no matter what I do. Reloading a previous save game might(!) fix the problem or not. So I find myself redoing the same stupid puzzle over and over again, which is NOT FUN!

4. This leads me to the puzzles: If you are a game developer and think that doing timed puzzles (like the puzzle where you have to throw rocks down the wells) is fun with these idiotic controls, you have have the wrong job (I think garbage man might be a more suitable chareer for you then)!
Now if you have to do this over and over again because of a stupid reoccurring bug it kinda gets boring.
5. If I make a full 1.5 GB install of a game I do expect that it does not keep loading from CD constantly. I mean what were those 1.5 GB for? This game is graphically and soundwise such a joke, so what are you using those for? And then I even have to switch CDs? Sure, excellent programming there. Go home and learn your job before you attempt something like that again!

Final words: This is the first adventure game in a long time (and I have been playing lots and lots lately, even free ones, amateur ones and old ones). That I am not finishing. I dont feel like it really. I mean seeing Guybrush turn arround in slow motion (even though I dont want him to) due to bugs and stupid controls just makes me want to barf! It makes the game fracking unplayable!

So if anyone considers buying it (and even if you, like me have played and loved all the previous games in the series), either reconsider, or bring a strong stomack and a lot of patience.
CU
Skippy

urluckyday
04-07-2008, 04:58 PM
Way to dig up an old post...this is over 3.5 years old...
On the other note, it did suck.

Joshi
04-07-2008, 08:51 PM
Dude probably googled "MI4 suck" or something and found this.

Largo LaGrande
04-08-2008, 07:37 AM
Dude probably googled "MI4 suck" or something and found this.

This post is old

Monkey Island 4 was not as good as Monkey Island 1 or 2 but Monkey Island 4 wasnt that bad.

:guybrush: :sweating: :horn: :monkey4: :monkey4: :monkey4: :guybrush:

Ray Jones
04-08-2008, 07:49 AM
Oh man. Largo. You are...back.

Largo LaGrande
04-08-2008, 08:39 AM
Oh man. Largo. You are...back.

Thanks dude

I never left I still read I havenít posted here for a while because I use the mojo forums more.

This forum is still awesome I would never leave here there are so many memories and I have so many friends.

This is the best place on the web were you can talk and debate on Monkey Island games.

I hadnít posted on here for a while until some dude decided to comment on an old post.

Did you pay me toll and weres my grog.

Ray Jones
04-08-2008, 08:46 AM
Yah mon. Uhm. Indeed. Why is the grog gone?

USSSkipjack
04-08-2008, 03:50 PM
Well, I was reading through the forum, trying to find some hints on how to make this game run better...
I did not find anything really usable, but dug up this thread here that at least allowed me to vent my frustration.
Maybe I should have opened a new thread for that?
CU
Skippy

Joshi
04-08-2008, 10:44 PM
Probably would have been better, but since you've already ressurected this, it may as well stay.

(Didn't we used to have a moderator who'd sort this stuff out?)

Ray Jones
04-09-2008, 02:27 AM
(Yes, there is one, but I couldn't be bothered.)

Largo LaGrande
04-09-2008, 05:08 AM
Ray

I still have the ps2 version of monkey island 4 it runs excellently.

Its actually not that bad a game its not as good as good as Monkey Island 1 and 2 they are classics.

But Monkey Island 4 is still a good Monkey Island game.

I think that Monkey Island is best in 2D and I hope that when they make Monkey Island 5 they make it 2D and get Ron Gilbert back, and get him to continue from Monkey Island 2 the way he wanted it to continue and forget about 3 and 4.

I would also like them to make it for PC and Xbox 360 and I would like to see Monkey Island 1 and 2 on Xbox Live Aracde.

Ray Jones
04-09-2008, 05:55 AM
Actually there's an unofficial XBox port of ScummVM, so technically you can play MI 1 - 3 and all other supported games on the XBox three six fiver slash twenty four slash seven.

Largo LaGrande
04-10-2008, 09:03 AM
Actually there's an unofficial XBox port of ScummVM, so technically you can play MI 1 - 3 and all other supported games on the XBox three six fiver slash twenty four slash seven.

Were can i get it.

Fealiks
04-10-2008, 09:07 AM
It's called ScummVMx, google it.

Largo LaGrande
04-10-2008, 09:18 AM
Awesome i will

If any of you want to add me to your xbox 360 friends list your welcome to this is my gamertag

Blue Jedi 360

Include a messege reminding me your from the lucas forums because i get lots of friends requests.

Ben Paddon
04-10-2008, 07:28 PM
I really disliked the way MI4 dicked about with established continuity and the MI Universe in general. The first three MI games sort of toyed with the fourth wall but never really broke it, while MI4 threw a brick through it, ransacked it for loot, and then told some really duff jokes on the way out. MI3 isn't as good as the first two games but so far as I'm concerned it's a fitting end to the series.

Kudos to the developers for managing to do Stan's suit in 3D, though.

Largo LaGrande
04-11-2008, 05:10 AM
I really disliked the way MI4 dicked about with established continuity and the MI Universe in general. The first three MI games sort of toyed with the fourth wall but never really broke it, while MI4 threw a brick through it, ransacked it for loot, and then told some really duff jokes on the way out. MI3 isn't as good as the first two games but so far as I'm concerned it's a fitting end to the series.

Kudos to the developers for managing to do Stan's suit in 3D, though.

I only liked Monkey Island 1 and 2 because after 1 and 2 they got rid of creator Ron Gilbert and they changed the graphics and story for the worse and thatís why I donít like Monkey Island 3 and 4.

They are not bad games there just not as good as Monkey Island 1 and 2.

I think they should get Ron Gilbert back to make Monkey Island 3 go back to the classic 2D graphics of Monkey Island 2 and ask him to carry on the story from were Monkey Island 2 left us they way he originally wanted to and make Monkey Island 3, they should start the story for Monkey Island 3 by saying 3 and 4 were just a dream.

shadow_judge
04-15-2008, 01:05 PM
I don't know why you guys keep criticizing MI3. It was great, but the only problem is the game is super short, and it doesn't fit with the MI2's ending. Well, that's two problems. But it's not letting the game's value down, right? Its graphic was superior (I best like the Puerto Pollo town background), its music was the best of the best, so does its voice acting, scripting, et cetera...

Small note: I first know of MI series by playing MI3 since I was about 9 or 10. After that one or two years, I bought MI4. Then last year, I have a chance to play MI2 and the last: MI1. MI2, I agree, is superior. MI1 does great too, but it's too... quiet! Well, MI1 didn't have iMUSE, so it's acceptable. (Uhhh that's a pretty long small note).

IMHO, I'll arrange like this:

MI2 -> MI3 -> MI1 -> MI4.

You may reply this arrangement in anger, but, it's just my opinion ;).

Another thing: MI4 DID have something good. I can tell is its music, well, damn good, or excellent. I love it, the "House of Wax theme", "Elaine's Mansion theme", and the background music playing when the Voodoo lady tells Guybrush about Ultimate Insult from the chest. It was great, right?

Largo LaGrande
04-15-2008, 01:29 PM
I like Monkey Island 1 and Monkey Island 2 best.

This is an old thread by the way

Ben Paddon
04-15-2008, 01:39 PM
It is an old thread, yes. But someone necro'd it a while ago and the discussion has just sort-of resumed. Four years a fair amount of time and offers much in the way of hindsight.

I've always considered MI1 and 2 to be two halves of the same game, much in the same way that Serious Sam: The First Encounter and Serious Sam: The Second Encounter both make up the first game in that particular series (and from what I recall Ron Gilbert did originally want it to be one game, but I can't remember where I read that). Individually I still rate MI1 higher than MI2. MI3 was almost as good as the first two games.

MI4, though? Let's pretend it didn't happen.

niente1
04-27-2008, 02:48 PM
I have been playing the MI games for like 10 years now and i'm pretty sorry to say that MI4 totally sucked balls, i know its a game joke that guybrush gets no respect but they took it too far and if they couldnt get a decent 3d engine DON'T MAKE THE GAME 3D!!!! If they do make a new MI i sure hope they do a way better job then they did in the last installment. What do you guys reckon?

I agree with you, MI4 sucks!!!! I love MI series, but I didn't finish MI4, it's sooo ugly and it sucks so much! The first time I saw it I asked myself: who's that guy? I played it for some time, then I was disgusted by it... :disaprove
:monkey4: :monkey4: :monkey4: :monkey4:

Largo LaGrande
04-28-2008, 04:55 AM
I agree with you, MI4 sucks!!!! I love MI series, but I didn't finish MI4, it's sooo ugly and it sucks so much! The first time I saw it I asked myself: who's that guy? I played it for some time, then I was disgusted by it... :disaprove
:monkey4: :monkey4: :monkey4: :monkey4:

I agree i mean MI3 OR MI4 are not bad games there just not as good as MI1 or MI2.

When they changed the look of the game and the look of guybrush in MI3 and MI4 i was so upset because guybrush was like a role model for me he was badass in MI1 and MI2 i liked the look of him in MI2 best.

I was upset because guybrush went from being the badass character he was in MI1 and MI2 to a weedy camp gay looking character in MI3 and MI4 i was so upset.

Go here to see for yourself http://2f.img.v4.skyrock.com/2fa/guybrush/pics/123419668_small.jpg

I liked MI1 and MI2 because they were dark and spooky.

They dident just change guybrush they changed the loook of our other favourite charcaters too in MI3 and MI4.

I liked how le chuck looked in MI2.
http://www.diskusjon.no/uploads/av-49891.gif

MelŤe1999
01-02-2009, 12:12 PM
Ahoy!
I don't know if anyone will still read this, but I will say it anyway. : D
I looked back on the notes in this topic and generally I think that people who started playing MI ever since the beginning, were much more disappointed with the outcome of the 4th game than gamers who played only the more recent games (3 and 4).
Personally for me, it was a disappointment, however at the time, I was just glad to play a MonkeyIsland game once again and tried to focus on the things that I used to love about the games before.

However, just like some of you on this Forum I didn't finish the game because of the annoying things all listed here before (bugs, boring story, ANNOYING ATMOSPHERE)
Looking back on the game after this many years, I agree that it is best to pretend this episode never happened and its easier now, since I hardly remember the 4th game anymore, having replayed all the other MI games since 2001. ; )

Udvarnoky
01-06-2009, 09:42 PM
Although I think of it as the worst of four great games, I consider myself one of EMI's biggest defenders. I maintain that if a Monkey Island 5 were ever made, this game would hold up a lot better in people's minds as a middle chapter rather than an ending one.

Also, I've concluded that I feel toward Indiana Jones 4 the way everyone else feels about EMI.

Joshi
01-06-2009, 09:55 PM
I'll happily defend EMI over Indy 4. Indy 4 was certainly a competent movie, but something about Nuking the Fridge...

Voodoo_Priestess
03-24-2009, 11:26 PM
It would've been better if they stuck to the CMI graphics
Those graphics were Sweet
The 3D thing, I was not a fan of.
But the humor was great, made me laugh like crazy in alot of the parts
If they do make a MI5
Then it has to be the graphics they used in CMI
But overall I loved it

Joshi
03-25-2009, 04:32 PM
I just started re-playing MI4 for the first time in a few years now (cleaning out cupboard, found the discs) and I have to say, it's one good game. Compared to the other MI games, it's the worst of the 4, but then, compared to the large selection of adventure games out there, it really is very good. Even with its flaws, it's a great game.

Threepwood4life
03-28-2009, 11:55 AM
MI 4 didn't have the charm that the previous games had and I think goin 3D was cause of how well recieved Grim Fandango was they thought it would work with Monkey Island, how wrong they were indeed.

It also kinda leaves the series with a gaping hole that needs to be fixed before it gets bigger and can't be repaired at all.

Udvarnoky
03-28-2009, 12:27 PM
I suspect going with a previously existing 3D engine had a lot to do with budget. By all accounts, LucasArts funded EMI modestly (probably a wise move and the only reason the game made a profit), and I'm guessing they weren't interested in paying for a game with 200 painted backgrounds and hand-drawn animation again. CMI and Grim Fandango were extremely well-received games, but I think their financial success was only moderate which led them to be the last uber-budget adventure games the company would put out.

EMI is not nearly as visually satisfying a game as CMI - not by a long shot - but within the strict parameters the team was likely made to work under (intentionally low target specs, two CDs, low poly models, low resolution), it was respectable. The art direction had room for improvement, but honestly for a low-end 3D game made in 2000, EMI's visual style stands out as something reasonably different and interesting I think.

Joshi
03-28-2009, 01:46 PM
Okay so, what I said in my last post... scratch that. Re-playing it again was interesting to a point, and that point was when we land back on monkey island. It was then I remembered how the rest of the game went and I simply stopped playing. I just couldn't be bothered with it. I still think it's a better game than a lot of other adventure games out there, but right now I'm finding it to be fairly boring.