PDA

View Full Version : First or Third Person View?

yaebginn
05-11-2004, 06:45 PM
Which view are you mainly going to use, first or third person view? I'm going with third, cause I play Bounty Hunter and Conflict Desert Storm for PS2, and they're both third person games. I just want to get a feel for what alot of people playing will use.

Ewok Homie
05-11-2004, 07:26 PM
Im definatly going to use 3rd person since i use to play socom and that manly is third person. I just like looking at my character or class instead of seeing a weapon to the right hand side of your screen and nothing else.

Eagle Warrior
05-11-2004, 07:35 PM
i think you would be able to switch between these views. i hope

yaebginn
05-11-2004, 07:42 PM
yeah, eagle, you do get to switch, I just wanna know what everyone's going to be using.

Eagle Warrior
05-11-2004, 07:46 PM
o:D i probably will use the first person view.

eastcoast2895
05-11-2004, 08:39 PM
i'll probably use the default because i've noticed in certain games where they give the option and first person is the focus, third person is not done well. i much rather use third person because i enjoy third person viewing better, but if it is clear first person is the way to play, then i'll play first person.

pink lightsaber
05-11-2004, 11:27 PM
i'll play in 1st person because I play Halo A LOT.

StormHammer
05-12-2004, 12:24 AM
Absolutely 100% first person view for me.

I find it trickier to aim in 3rd person - and aiming accurately is going to be paramount in this game.

Pnut_Man
05-12-2004, 12:35 AM
Tough question...

Being a default-third person FPS player of JK2/JA for the past 2 years, i've actually developed a sense of accuracy while using that perspective.

GlobalStrike
05-12-2004, 12:41 AM
Defintely 1st person view. Like Pinklightsaber, i play halo alot, or atleast i used to until my xbox broke. :( :jawa :jawa

Schetter
05-12-2004, 01:24 AM
As a Raven Shield/BF:42 player, 1st person is the only way to go for me.

DutchTiran
05-12-2004, 04:08 AM
I'm a hardcore pc gamer, so I will use the first person perspective since every shooter on pc is in first person. Only Jedi Academy wasnt when you had your lightsaber equiped, but you didnt had to use you guns in third person. I played Halo on the XBOX for a few hours (in third person) and it sucked big time.

joesdomain
05-12-2004, 04:37 AM
I don't know what I would choose. I have played Star Wars Bounty Hunter and Star Wars Clone Wars for PS2 the past year and half so I don't know.

tFighterPilot
05-12-2004, 04:40 AM
I'll probably switch a lot until I'll found which is better.

Revlt Coranier
05-23-2004, 07:26 PM
On ground, I'll probably use first-person, because I find it easier to aim, and it gives you a feeling of being in the game. In the air it might be useful to use third-person sometimes like when you're in a T-47 and you are using your tow cable.

tFighterPilot
05-23-2004, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by Revlt Coranier
On ground, I'll probably use first-person, because I find it easier to aim, and it gives you a feeling of being in the game. In the air it might be useful to use third-person sometimes like when you're in a T-47 and you are using your tow cable. Why do you call the Snow Speeder T-47? It freaks me out

Revlt Coranier
05-23-2004, 07:53 PM
Because the T-47 is what you guys are talking about. A "snowspeeder" is any speeder that is made for snow. And the T-47s had to be extensively modified before they could even run in the snow. So they weren't snow speeders for very long.

Lt. Havoc
05-23-2004, 08:05 PM
1st person!!! PC user style all the way. 3rd is for consolers with their Tomb Raider, Socom etc.

yaebginn
05-23-2004, 10:33 PM
Go third person! Yay! have ya'll played conflict desert storm? that game rox.

Sounds Risky
05-24-2004, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by DutchTiran
I played Halo on the XBOX for a few hours (in third person) and it sucked big time.

It only switched to third person when you used a vehicle.

lukeiamyourdad
05-24-2004, 08:04 PM
I just fear that in third person the camera doesn't "stick" to your back. That's why some found it annoying to play in third person on the vehicles in Halo. The camera didn't exactly stick to theback of the vehicle, it didn't follow exactly the movement of the vehicle but instead moved a bit after you engage a curve.

That's also annoying for racing games.

Thrawn
05-25-2004, 01:18 AM
I'll be using first person the majority of the time, especially when I'm just a lone footsoldier. Sometime it might come in handy to use third person, such as when using the tow cable, you'll need to see how to wrap it around the AT-AT's legs. I did the same thing in Rogue Squadron.

tFighterPilot
05-25-2004, 03:51 AM
Originally posted by Thrawn
I'll be using first person the majority of the time, especially when I'm just a lone footsoldier. Sometime it might come in handy to use third person, such as when using the tow cable, you'll need to see how to wrap it around the AT-AT's legs. I did the same thing in Rogue Squadron. Didn't have much of a choice, did you?

Prime
05-27-2004, 05:24 PM
I'll be taking a wait and see approach. Probably first person, but I will see which works best...

JawaJoey
05-28-2004, 02:17 AM
I think it'll depend on my class and situation. In vehicles, probably 3rd, unless theres a vehicle first person view that is actually GOOD. For straight up shooting, like in buildings, first. Scouting around, third. Hiding, I'll probably check my visibility in 3rd and peek out in first. It all depends. I'm going to take advantage of the felxibility given to me.

yaebginn
05-28-2004, 09:20 AM
I'll use third most all the time, but maybe for taking shots that require alot of accuracy, I'll use first.

Idei
05-31-2004, 09:23 PM
More than likely first person perspective in the majority of situations.

There are a few situations where I might find third person perspective better, mainly while piloting vehicles as most games tend to clutter the screen with 'authentic' panels and viewports. I would rather see more of the game environment then have a few blinking panels that cover maybe 1/3 to 2/3 of the viewable area in first person perspective.

The other situation where it might be helpful is while equipped with a heavy weapon that graphically blocks a major part of the viewable area in first person perspective.

Either perspective would work well. Mostly I see console games utilizing third person perspective while first person perspective is almost exclusively associated with the pc. Switching back and forth might work for some people but once a battle starts my focus is on winning the encounter rather than having a vague advantage over an opponent(s). Vague being a perceived advantage like being able to see around a corner and seeing a player, while it really doesn't effect the outcome of the encounter.

Idei

Drax Kreiger
05-31-2004, 11:38 PM
So it basically boils down to this: Do you want better accuracy (first person), or a better field of vision (third person). Of course, there are those people who are deadly accurate in third person, so it also depends on personal choice.

yaebginn
05-31-2004, 11:59 PM
I play Conflict Desert Storm and SOCOM, so I'm pretty good with third person. But I've also been playing Nightfire, so i'm good with both.

RoxStar
06-01-2004, 12:19 AM
First person. Its more realistic.

Tyler_Durden
06-01-2004, 07:58 AM
FINALLY, a Star Wars game that gives you a choice of perspective!!! Hey Raven are you taking notes for JK4?

yaebginn
06-01-2004, 09:28 AM
Jedi Knight and I beleive jedi Outcast gave you a choice of perspective, I dont know bout JA, though.

Sabretooth
06-01-2004, 10:02 AM
Actually, it depends. I'm gonna play like I used to in Operation Flashpoint (Grand-daddy of all Battlefront games).

Basically, I'll use First Person and switch to Third Person to see wether I've concealed properly or how greviously wounded I am in battle (applies only to Rebel Alliance)

Tyler_Durden
06-01-2004, 10:35 AM
Yeah JA didn't give you a choice of perspective which killed the game for me and pretty much any mapping i had planned for it, including a kick ass SP campaign that i worked on for over a year, in otherwords, i was very VERY bitter about it, but hopefully someone will bring out the definitive jedi game which fulfills my needs.........

But on a lighter note, the choice of playing in first person mode has been established very early on, unlike JA which made no mention of it anywhere, so i know what i'm paying for this time around. And if the trailer's any indicator, this game's gonna keep me real busy for some time:D

Doomie
06-01-2004, 11:04 AM
JA did give you a choice of perspective, only not with the lightsaber. That also wasn't handy, with all the twists and jumps and moves, you'd soon lose direction in first person. Come on, is there anyone that used first person in JO (for the lightsaber i mean). Heck, in JA, when you switch guns, it automatically turns to first person, and if it didn't do so with you then you turned it off, so you must've at least known of it's existance.

Tyler_Durden
06-02-2004, 04:39 PM
Nope, used first person all the way in JO, JA didn't give you that choice which is what i wanted but didn't get. I modded the first person perspective and it's quite intuitive in JA which leads me to question the developer's reasons for not including it in the first place. It doesn't matter, to me the game's mediocre and it's showing in terms of the mod community, so i moved on to this game for a while until the next Jedi game, for which i hope is better and like battlefront, gives a choice of perspective no matter what weapon you use.

RoxStar
06-02-2004, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by Tyler_Durden
FINALLY, a Star Wars game that gives you a choice of perspective!!! Hey Raven are you taking notes for JK4?

If you hit P by default your view will change.

Nevhision
06-02-2004, 08:06 PM
I think its too hard to tell now. I'll porbably konw within 5 minutes of gameplay which view I perfer

Somewhat on topic question: Can you use a joystick and keyboard with this game. So when you enter a vehicle, can you switch from keyboard/mouse to joystick? Assuming its the same as bf1942?

Tyler_Durden
06-02-2004, 09:14 PM
With past Luca$art$ games, they've pretty much let you use a joystick in every game released thus far. I know cause i used one for the JK series exclusively. But for this game, i will use mouse/keyboard for better maneuverability and aiming.

lukeiamyourdad
06-02-2004, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by Nevhision
Somewhat on topic question: Can you use a joystick and keyboard with this game. So when you enter a vehicle, can you switch from keyboard/mouse to joystick? Assuming its the same as bf1942?

I hope so. It's going to be a pain to fly a plane with my mouse...urgh.

Prime
06-05-2004, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by sabretooth
Basically, I'll use First Person and switch to Third Person to see wether I've concealed properly I like it! :)

Originally posted by Tyler_Durden
to me the game's mediocre and it's showing in terms of the mod community To be fair, just about everything done in JO works without modification in JA, so all the stuff people might normally create didn't need to be done.

Mountainforest
06-05-2004, 05:51 PM
I really don't know. It depends on what I like best when the game comes out, and what caracter I'm playing. For example, if you are a jetpack trooper, sth person is better I guess.

In bf1942 I have different views I use. When driving land vehicles, 3th person suits me more, when shooting 1st person. In planes I like 1ps all the way. I don't know how the gameplay of bf1942 will resemble the gameplay of bf, but I guess I will be switching a lot.

Tyler_Durden
06-06-2004, 12:13 AM
Well the thing is, too, is that they haven't released really any gameplay footage of you playing in either view, so it is kind of hard to know what to expect but with these kinds of games, from an intuitive standpoint, it seems that when playing as a character running around and trying to fain position that first person is the way to go, whereas when piloting a vehicle, third person is the preferred mode. But it just depends on your playing style.

Spyder777
06-30-2004, 10:15 PM
im gonna be playing 3rd person cuz I play socom alot and u can see around walls without actually going around the corner

Xirion
07-01-2004, 08:42 AM
FP cos i cant shoot in 3rd person