PDA

View Full Version : What games are we going to this fall?

FroZticles
06-11-2004, 12:12 AM
After my last game decision and $300 later I finally realised SWG was the greatest flop MMORPG ever so that cancels jump to hyper speed. Battlefront looks good but I'm not into first person shooters probably another reason why I dislike SWG. So I'm heading back into RTS. Battle for Middle Earth is where I'm going if anyone wants to find me and TRY!!!! to beat me :P.

But where is everyone headed?

Admiral Vostok
06-11-2004, 10:09 AM
I voted for Battle for Middle Earth because it just looks so amazing. I've been following it's development since very early days, and if EA lives up to everything they're claiming, it will be a simply amazing game, and will probably breath new life into the entire RTS genre with some of their revolutionary ideas. I'll definitely be in the shop on release day!

However recently I've become extremely excited about Battlefront. I'm not much of an FPS fan either, but Battlefront will be quite different, I believe. For a start, there will be a minimum of EU! So although I do like Star Wars better than Lord of the Rings, my love of RTS brings BfME to the top of the list.

The third on my list, possibly above Battlefront, is a game called Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War. It's an RTS set in the world of Warhammer 40,000, the table-top battle game. Relic looks to have introduced some revolutionary ideas into this too, though I'm a bit wary of their dumbed-down resource system. But my love of the Warhammer 40,000 Universe will see me in the stores to get this one too.

Until any of these are released, I'm playing the Frozen Throne expansion of WarCraft III, and trying to figure out why Command and Conquer Generals has suddenly stopped working on my machine...

General Nitro
06-11-2004, 11:31 AM
i accidently voted for the SWG expansion when i prolly should have gone with battlefront. it looks promising.

FroZticles
06-11-2004, 12:23 PM
I just started tracking BfMe a couple of weeks ago I checked out the press release last year and never looked at it. I recently watched the Return of the King and was blow away, best of the 3 by heaps. This was around the time E3 just finished and all the game sites were announcing the new games so I went to game spy and there was a excellent rating so I clicked and the only word to describe it is WOW!!!!!!!!! I love the no interface thing so you just focus on your units. Buildings don't play much of a role and like other games which require huge micro, this is down to minimum.

Battlefront looks great but the only thing stopping me from getting it is my connection so I'm waiting for them to connect the DAMN lines. Star Wars is good but I like LoTR just as much as soon as Episode 3 is released I'll like Star Wars more :D

I'm playing Frozen Throne also........
But the micro intensity is damn........

I'm just dying we have to wait 3 whole months :"(

lukeiamyourdad
06-11-2004, 04:11 PM
Battlefront. I'm an old BF1942 vet.

pbguy1211
06-11-2004, 06:23 PM
Have any of you seen the E3 demo for B4ME? It looks ILL!!!

http://www.eagames.com (isn't working atm so i dont have the exact link...)

and look for the Battle for Middle-earth section. and check out the near 200Mb E3 mov!

TheMadDoofer
06-11-2004, 08:01 PM
Pfah. I'm just waiting for the Call of Duty expansion. ;)

FroZticles
06-12-2004, 01:57 AM
I saw the E3 movie yesterday it looked awesome :D

Admiral Vostok
06-12-2004, 01:42 PM
Great merciful crap that E3 trailer is awesome.

I want that game now :(

pbguy1211
06-12-2004, 07:44 PM
B4ME was SUPPOSED to be out on June 14th... but I'll just be happy if when they release it, that it at least works properly without many bugs.

DarthMaulUK
06-12-2004, 08:52 PM
Whoever voted for Galaxies needs a good hard slap!

Waste of money and time that game. Its about as close to Star Wars as an episode of Friends would be!

I voted Other.... well, for the UK... ROME: Total War, if it makes the xmas deadline, will rock major.

Otherwise I might fall into EAs trap and get Battle for Middle Earth but actual ingame footage is lacking but what I have seen made me fall asleep

PS: Call of Duty is probably the best game of the year! Its truely amazing.

DMUK

Admiral Vostok
06-12-2004, 09:05 PM
DMUK: In game footage for BfME is not lacking, just deceptive. You see, the game's interface has no control panel like most RTS games, instead the interface is context sensitive... so most likely all the footage you've seen is from in the game, you just don't realise it because of the different type of interface. I guess you'll just have to wait until your broadband is operational so you can download the E3 trailer... well worth the download!

DarthMaulUK
06-12-2004, 09:53 PM
Ive seen the trailer Admiral and I know EA. The masters of delivering rubbish that sells.

Not much game footage = rubbish. All this talk of emotions...but they cant get the troops to walk properly. They waddle like fat ducks!

Besides, all screens are on the highest spec PC and with a little help from Adobe and their creative manager.. i know, we do the same thing where i work. - replace PS2 screens with xbox screens etc.

I hope im wrong but with EAs track record, i dont think i will be. The AI interests me though...will we see a huge improvement on C&C Generals?

pbguy1211
06-12-2004, 10:16 PM
The game will sell simply because peter jackson has created a cash monster. But it does look really bad arse to me. VERY much looking foward to it... and VERY impressed by the E3 trailer!

FroZticles
06-13-2004, 01:36 AM
EA rocked Lucasarts at E3 this year.......

Yes I know :/

SWG after you finish about 5 professions and realise its just onr grind after the other. SWG turns itself into a nothing more than a chat room.

Compa_Mighty
06-14-2004, 08:30 PM
I think I'll try BFME, I would love to play WoW, but well, you can't get those Massive On-line games in Mexico, and considering how much I really play, it would be a waste of money.

swphreak
06-14-2004, 09:45 PM
BFME will ****ing rock.

Battlefront might be fun. There's also Republic Commando, and Kotor 2.

DMUK: What waddling ducks? They look fine to me.

saberhagen
06-15-2004, 07:51 AM
I don't tend to buy new games because no matter how good they might be, they're usually overpriced. Maybe I'll pick up some of these when they're 2 years old, if they don't suck. If you wait, you can pick up some real bargains. The next game I buy will probably be Call of Duty, although I'd like to try battlefront if I get broadband.

Admiral Vostok
06-15-2004, 04:32 PM
Most games I can wait for, but when it comes to a game I'm particularly excited about (as I was with SWGB) I'll be there on the first day to get it. I'll certainly be there on the first day for BfME, but Battlefront and Dawn of War I can probably wait a bit for.

Sithmaster_821
06-18-2004, 10:53 PM
Other:I'm looking forward to Metroid Prime 2, cause the first one was incredibly well made. It was the first game that I've played that could be looked at for analysis, like with movies and books. In my mind, it represents the epitome of gaming and a sign of things to come, where games are made not only for entertainment, but for study. It pulled me away from AoM, and thats somethnig hard to pull off.

PS: Does everyone get those stupid annoying popups that change your homepage, and/or download a gazillion programs against your request? Thats why I stopped coming here, cause of those stupid ads, and they're still here. DMUK, I dont know how much say you have in these matters, but could LF find advertisers with a less aggresive and questionably ethical way of selling their products?

FroZticles
06-19-2004, 02:14 AM
Sith I'm having sought of the same problem I have deleted all these programs I restart and they still there it must be a background program just reinstalling them each time. Plus I go to one site and get 10 pop ups and when I try closing my explorer crashes.

Darth Windu
06-19-2004, 02:25 AM
I dont know about anyone else, but i've never had any problems with popups or anything like that with lucasforums.

saberhagen
06-19-2004, 11:37 AM
You can download a good cure for popups at:

www.mozilla.org

;)

If you keep using IE you only have yourselves to blame...

Admiral Vostok
06-20-2004, 10:51 AM
I was about to suggest the same thing, saber. Only I'd go to:
http://www.opera.com/
Mozilla looks and feels too much like IE for my liking.

FroZticles
06-20-2004, 08:34 PM
I just threw up a pop up blocker works great. Also scanned for spyware and adware and deleted some of the pop up causes.

joesdomain
06-21-2004, 02:45 AM
I am buying Star Wars Battlefront since it is on PS2. I might get Mercenaries but I think that is set for a early 2005 release date. I plan on getting the Star Wars Episode III video game that is suppose to come in May, 2005.

sharpyC
06-26-2004, 03:28 PM
I'm going too...

http://dynamic6.gamespy.com/~imperialassault/?rd=16&vo=16

It looks awesome.

Admiral Vostok
06-27-2004, 10:52 AM
It looks awesome but will not be. For a brief period I was on the staff, but I quit because my efforts to set things right came too late in the process. The balance is non-existent in this game, the guys who designed it don't know the first thing about game design. It's overly complicated, with too many units and a few uber unbalanced units that everyone will use while the majority sit idle. They've just tried to include every single unit from EU, which is rediculous, and what's more they haven't thought about what specific role each unit will fill - most of them have about three different types of weapons. It's such a shame too, such talented artists and programmers led to create a bad game.

Back on topic, I mentioned above I'm looking forward to Warhammer: 40,000 - Dawn of War. I just downloaded a video from E3 where the guys making it demonstrate all the different gameplay elements. It looks absolutely awesome. The level of interaction between units and with the battlefield itself is spectacular. Now I'm pretty much looking forward to this game just as much as Battle for Middle Earth. Check it out if you haven't already done so:
http://www.dawnofwargame.com/

sharpyC
06-27-2004, 07:36 PM
Warhammer does look cool, i guess if i invest in another RTS than it looks like a cool investment.

DarthMuffin
06-29-2004, 02:08 PM
The Sims 2 people!!!

Hum... well yeah I'm gonna buy Sims 2 for sure.

BfME looks great also, but I'm worried about the multiplayer aspect. I mean, General's MP was kind of crappy, and I think they don't give us enough info on how it's going to be.

For once, I agree with DMUK... that Mark Skaggs guy is only talking about unit emotions, and "wow it's the army of the dead! wow, they've whiped out all of our troops!". I mean, come on we want to see some real stuff. Also, the little base camp we saw is kind of crappy....

Battlefront looks great. I'm not very fond of shooters, but since it's SW, I'll give it a try (and why can't we PC users have the demo on the OT DVDs as well??).

Other than that, it's gonna be Sith Lords when it's out and Dragon Age in a couple of years...

Admiral Vostok
06-30-2004, 06:35 PM
Yeah, I'm also a bit wary of how BfME Multiplayer will pan out. Stuff in that demo video like the Army of the Dead and the Balrog are cool and all, but it will be strange in multiplayer.

I'm starting to get more excited about Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War than Battle for Middle Earth now. The multiplayer gameplay should be a lot more exciting anyway.

Lindset
07-08-2004, 10:00 PM
didn't realize that I had to choose ONE ;) I'll probably pick up total war: rome, half-life 2, doom 3, battle for middle earth, jump to lightspeed, and the rest of the games I'm forgetting about

Mono_Giganto
07-27-2004, 03:45 PM
Other: KotOR2:tSL all the way. :emodanc:

DarthMaulUK
07-28-2004, 03:58 AM
I was looking closely at Battle for Middle Earth. But three things worry me

1) Its an EA game and their stuff sucks
2) Its based on the Generals engine which really isnt that flexible
3) Real in game screens are few and far between

So this could end up being yet another big licenced turkey. Only time will tell but im going to give it a miss because ROME:Total War is coming and that is REAL strategy wargaming.

www.totalwar.com

DMUK

Admiral Vostok
07-29-2004, 11:11 AM
1) Its an EA game and their stuff sucksNo it doesn't :D 2) Its based on the Generals engine which really isnt that flexibleWell they've taken the Generals Engine and changed it quite a lot. As for it not being flexible in the first place, I don't know where you got that since it's one of the most moddable and flexible engines I've ever seen.3) Real in game screens are few and far betweenActually you're wrong there too. You're assuming all the screens you're seeing are from cinematics, when in fact just about every screen I've seen are from in the game. You just don't recognise it because they've done away with the dated control panel along the bottom of the screen, so playing in the game actually looks like cinematics.

saberhagen
07-29-2004, 02:23 PM
I wanted to post a quote from some dictator about lies, but I can't remember any properly. Let's just say I know who I believe. ;)

DarthMuffin
07-29-2004, 05:19 PM
The big problem about BfME is that we don't have enough "official" info. We get a couple of screens and an occasional new unit emotions video.

They don't even show what are the races on their website (even though it's pretty obvious by now), they don't show any units or buildings either. Usually, you should be able to see what's going to be in a game... Maxis (even though it's part of EA) shows us some stuff about TS2, Blizzard has info on races and classes of WoW and BioWare's employees are posting often in the boards to answer questions. Even LA gives more info on their games.

EA is the kind of company who makes as many games as possible (and as fast as possible), and they don't really care about how good the game is after it's released (there are exceptions, but it's true most of the time).

To comment on DMUK's post :

1. Most of their stuff sucks. Not all, but most.

2. I hated the Generals engine. Like Vostok said, it's supposed to be changed a lot, but I'm especially worried about the base building part and the multiplayer aspect.

3. What I hate about their video and screens is that they are almost all about Minas Tirith. Like I said earlier, they don't show us enough stuff. We know that MT is in, and that it looks great. Show us Idengard now.

FroZticles
07-31-2004, 06:14 AM
EA does not have the best RTS history, generals multiplayer was unbalanced and continues to be with there failed unique sides.

DarthMuffin
07-31-2004, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by FroZticles
EA does not have the best RTS history, generals multiplayer was unbalanced and continues to be with there failed unique sides.

That's exactly what I'm talking about. BfME will only be a single player game. The MP aspect will be horrible.

Gonna have to wait for SC2 to get a decent MP RTS....

Admiral Vostok
07-31-2004, 12:12 PM
Well I won't deny that Generals multiplayer isn't great, I just hope they realise how important multiplayer is to the life of a game and put some effort into improving it.

I can't for the life of me figure out why both Blizzard and EA continue to have only their set number of boring maps for multiplayer as opposed to Ensemble and others who have a random map generator. WH40K: Dawn of War also has set maps instead of random maps, which disappointed me greatly. More than likely BfME will not have a random map generator either... why would it when Middle Earth is pre-defined?

General Nitro
08-01-2004, 11:14 AM
Just wait till Feburary before you buy a game. That way you can buy Republic Commando. Man, that game looks awesome!

Evil Dark Jedi
08-02-2004, 07:16 AM
I voted for battlefront but im getting battle for middle earth aswell but im looking forward to battlefront alot.

DK_Viceroy
08-02-2004, 10:02 AM
I agree with DMUK that it's BfME is gonna be rubbish they have kinda kyboshed the C&C series

WHO IN THEIR RIGHT MIND

thinks generals is unbalanced it's all about strategy i'm assuming people are reffering to General Ta Hun Kwai attacking Prince Kassad with Emporer Overlord Tanks, or Perhaps General Alexander Attacking Anything with Aurora Alpha Bombers. It's easy to defeat the strongest units you just need to know their strengths and weaknessess. This is where infinite money maps come in handy you can explore weaknesses and strengths without worrying about econ. The same also applies to GB with the venerable Frontline Was maps And gone awry City Build Maps. {yes City Build is the series of maps I came up with the idea for and created the first few I admit guilt to that }

The Answer to The Emporer Tanks V Prince Kassad is easy Fully Upgradded Angry Mobs Cheaper and they rip the hell out of anything on the ground if supported With Rocket Buggies And Quad Cannons.

I May hate what EA has done to Command and Conquer But they've created an all right game to add To an Excellent Series. That's why the game i'm looking forward to is Command and Conquer Tiberian Twilight Or Command And Conquer Red Alert 3. I know both are in the works because if you dig up the site of one of the generals concept blokes and look under generals you'll see sketch's of CABAL troopers and some CABAL units. You'll also see the dropped Chrono Prison which for some strange reason is on the back of my edition of yuri's revenge as well as the siesmic tank for the soviets with many many other things.

Admiral Vostok
08-11-2004, 11:52 PM
For those like DMUK who are suspicious of BfME because of a supposed "real in-game screens" I advise you to check out Inside the Battle Vol 4, the latest of EA's designer videos. It's got info about base building and resource gathering. There are some things I'm a little wary of, but when it comes down to it a game that looks that cool has just got to be fun.

joesdomain
08-20-2004, 03:58 AM
I plan on buying Star Wars Battlefront, Mercenaries, Star Wars Lego based game, and Star Wars Episode III video game all on PS2. I still have plans to get me a copy of RTX Red Rock, Gladius, Secret Weapons Over Normandy, Wrath Unleashed, 007 Nightfire, 007 Agents Under Fire, The Simpsons Hit and Run, The Simpsons Road Rage, The Two Towers, The Fellowship of the Ring, Return of the King, The Hobbit all on PS2 also. I might get 007 Everything or Nothing, Spiderman 2, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Askaban, Spiderman, Harry Potter and the Sorcerers Stone, and Harry Potter and the chamber of Secrets. I lost my chance to get a copy of Escape From Monkey Island and Star Wars Super Bombard Racing for PS2 because I can't find a new copy anywhere.

Admiral Vostok
08-20-2004, 01:15 PM
Damn that's a long list. No wonder you don't upgrade your computer when you're spending that much on games.

I don't think you're missing much when it comes to Super Bombad Racing.

Admiral Vostok
08-30-2004, 08:17 AM
Just an update: for those people confused as to what the Battle For Middle Earth's context-sensitive interface is, check out the latest designer diary (#5 I think). It discusses the new interface and how it differs from the old one.

I'd also like to state that now the game I'm most looking forward to is Star Wars Battlefront. While I am certainly an RTS player at heart, this game will just be way too cool and I believe I will get horribly addicted.

DK_Viceroy
08-31-2004, 02:13 AM
I just found at a NEW CnC game is in the works it could be RA3 or Tib Twilight someone saw pictures of them on a monitor at EA and posted them on a site and everybody got really excited and EA asked for the pictures to be taken down because of hidden reasons.

Battlefront what's that for again?

FroZticles
08-31-2004, 02:24 AM
RA3 RA3 RA3!!!!!!!

Battlefront is for PC, looks really good, MMOFPS by the sounds of it.

DK_Viceroy
08-31-2004, 02:50 AM
Either RA3 or Tiberian Twilight, My money's on Tiberian Twilight since RA2 was released after Tiberian Sun so they'd try to keep both alive and release twilight first then RA3. Plus if you find some of the Concept Artists for CnC games one of them has a few images for Cabal under their generals Section like a Cabal Trooper and Cabal Power plant their's quite a few spread over random sections as well as the lost Soviet Seimech Tank and the Allied Chrono Prison as well as some sort of demented laser on a stick for yuri

Admiral Vostok
08-31-2004, 06:43 AM
Battlefront is also on XBox, and either Gamecube or Playstation2, can't remember. For once, though, PC Gamers actually get the better deal, since you can have up to 32 players with the PC but only 16 through XBox Online.

lukeiamyourdad
08-31-2004, 07:49 AM
Battlefront is for PC, PS2 and X Box. The gamecube doesn't get it because it has no multiplayer cababilities.

Admiral Vostok
08-31-2004, 09:03 AM
No multiplayer capabilites? What were Nintendo thinking? They were once the leaders of console gaming, and now they pale in comparison to Sony and Microsoft.

DK_Viceroy
08-31-2004, 09:06 AM
I Take GREAT pleasure of infroming you otherwise.

Try PSO III that can go online on gamecube and despite some people saying Gamecube Modems of both varieties are as difficult to find as Hen's teath they can be found in the local GAME for a very cheap price and have been there since about 2 months from the gamecubes release here in the UK.

Nintendo are still Market leaders They Innovate far more than Sony and Microsoft those 2 are primarily out to make money Nintendo is out to make games It is mostly Sony and Microsofts fault that the Market must now INNOVATE OR DIE because of this obsession with beefing up specs for the next console in order for it to be a next gen console, I eagerly await the DS as the PSP seems to bear all the hall marks of previous Failures at competiung with the Gameboy Namely Battery Life. Revoloution certainly sounds a treat from the rumours and if nintendo pulls out a few of it's Superior Franchises which the other two have very little hope of competeing with they shall dominate the next round.

Admiral Vostok
08-31-2004, 09:15 AM
Well I've always been a Nintendo fan. I bought an N64 just so I could play Star Wars Racer at a faster speed than the PC version. But the Gamecube doesn't interest me at all; the XBox and Playstation2 both have a gazillion more games available.

DK_Viceroy
08-31-2004, 09:34 AM
In terms of games i think more people would care about QUALITY over QUANTITY.

I mean what's better 100 excellent games or 1000 crap games

FroZticles
09-01-2004, 12:27 AM
I heard Microsoft could be buying Nintendo.....

Not sure if it was just a rumor but if they did it would be a super titan to compete with in the console industry.

DK_Viceroy
09-01-2004, 03:19 AM
How old is that rumour.

That rumour's over a year old and it was disproved something like a week after it was created. All it is, is a rumour made up by XBox owners jelous of the quality franchise games nintendo has.

Admiral Vostok
09-01-2004, 07:11 AM
I mean what's better 100 excellent games or 1000 crap gamesIt's true Nintendo has some great game franchises, but there are just as good games on the other systems, and a huge variety of other titles to choose from too. I'd hardly say all XBox and Playstation2 games are crap.

swphreak
09-01-2004, 07:16 AM
I own both the Cube and Box, and I'm happy with it. The Cube has awesome games that the Box won't get, and the Box has games the Cube will never get. My only problem with PS2 is the controller and the fact that I don't have one :p

Frankly, I'm pretty disappointed in the DS... what is so freakin' innovative about a 2nd, useless touchpad screen? If anything, it would make games more annoying, and there's no telling how quickly it'll wear out or the screen gets all scratched out.

lukeiamyourdad
09-01-2004, 11:29 AM
I don't know how useful is the second screen. Maybe just to wow consumers. "Hey we have 2 screens! 2 SCREENS!"

I disagree that a console is better then any other. All have their strengths and weaknesses.
I don't bother getting a console though. There's so much stuff you can do with a PC game you can't with a console.
Better graphics, mods, etc.

DK_Viceroy
09-01-2004, 12:03 PM
Very True however like the real world their strengths and weaknesses are constantly changing however there are some that remain constant.

Like Nintentdo's franchises and Microsofts Buy em Use em attitude and Sony's Low Tech Expensive Start Off approach which draws in more than you'd expect.

Remeber we've yet to see either of them on the street in action with games that utilise these features things rarely make sense until you see it work with your own two or in some cases four eyes.

sharpyC
09-18-2004, 03:25 PM
ok... warhammer it is, just played the demo and its everything I want in a RTS. Already beat the campaign, and have been playing skirmish.

joesdomain
09-18-2004, 10:48 PM
Well, I got my revised list of fall games! Shorterlist! Just buying Star Wars Battlefront for PS2. That should hold me over till the next PS2 Star Wars game comes out in April, 2005. I heard the Star Wars Lego game is coming out in April, 2005 with Star Wars Episode III video game coming out two weeks before the theatrical release of ROTS. Plus, I plan on going to Star Wars Celebration III in Indianapolis, IN. Hopefully I will have a new PC by then to be able to play the next star wars PC RTS game.

DarthMuffin
09-19-2004, 07:50 AM
Isn't all that kind of off-topic?

Anyway, I bought The Sims 2 yesterday and it's awesome. If you liked the original, you guys should get it.

I'll get battlefront on tuesday too.

I'm no longer sure about BfME... RTW looks better, from what I can tell.

DK_Viceroy
09-19-2004, 10:07 AM
The sims 2 is pretty good but if you play the Broke family i think the first thing you have to do is get them a better house or it's rock hard.

Big improvement in some areas huge step back at first glance with some especially in the camera department the original simamera was far superior in most aspects

swphreak
09-19-2004, 01:27 PM
My new revised list:

Battlefront
Battle for Middle Earth
Republic Commando
Fable (UPS still hasn't delivered... grrr)

FroZticles
09-20-2004, 12:25 AM
I plan on getting Sims 2 but I'm waiting for WoW. I love MMO and I think it will be awesome. Even after the huge SWG disappointment you would think I would be turned off MMORPG for life but WoW will hopefully change my mind.

Battlefront won't live up to the exspectations most people have set. It is a shame but if after 3 months of people being 100% happy about it then I may consider getting it.

B4ME I'll wait and buy it after christmas.

Kryllith
09-20-2004, 10:49 AM
I may get Battlefront, though I think I'll read some player reviews first and see if there's anything significantly lacking that would ruin the gameplay. As far as other games are concerned, I'm looking to Jak III, Ratchet and Clank III, Sly Cooper 2 and Outlaw Golf 2.

Kryllith

Admiral Vostok
09-20-2004, 11:06 AM
Well the last I heard Battlefront will be released tomorrow. Also released tomorrow are the Star Wars DVDs. I'll be spending my money on the DVDs first. Fortunately I have access to an XBox, and the Star Wars DVDs just happen to have a playable Battlefront demo for XBox on them. So while I won't be getting Battlefront tomorrow, I will be playing the demo and letting everyone know my opinions.

Barring the Battlefront demo being absolutely horrendous I daresay I'll be getting it first when it comes to games, though even then I'll probably wait until I get back to Australia which won't be until January. After that I'll probably get Dawn of War, then BfME.

swphreak
09-25-2004, 07:58 AM
Vostok, don't jusdge the game by the XBox version. The PC version is so much better. Plus, I can;t imagine playing Battlefront on a console. It's a fun game, and the droideka is my favorite :xp:

They need to fix a few kinks, but other than that, it's awesome.

Admiral Vostok
09-25-2004, 08:32 AM
Well that's good news, since I like the extremely limited X-Box demo on the DVDs it stands to reason I'll really love the full PC version. However I probably won't get Battlefront until I'm back in Australia and I get a new computer.

DK_Viceroy
09-25-2004, 10:07 AM
I don't know why anyone bothers with X-Boxes their a failure in japan

They should be chucked wholesale into a deep fat frier

lukeiamyourdad
09-25-2004, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by DK_Viceroy
I don't know why anyone bothers with X-Boxes their a failure in japan

And because they're a failure in Japan it means they're a failure everywhere else?

Admiral Vostok
09-25-2004, 12:19 PM
By the same token why should Gamecube bother when they're a failure in the US?

It's okay to be a Gamecube fan, Viceroy, but that doesn't mean X-Boxes are rubbish.

DK_Viceroy
09-25-2004, 01:49 PM
It is when you have A General LOATHING of Microsoft in general

swphreak
09-25-2004, 04:07 PM
GameCube is popular in Japan because the Japanese actually make games that appeal to them, and publishers in the US wnt to make money, which the GameCube dosnt do for them, so they went to XBox.

Both are good systems. I like my GC very much. It has some awesome games that you can't get for the XBox. It reminds me a lot of Dreamcast, both bombed but I liked both of them.

Darth Windu
09-25-2004, 07:26 PM
Well i for one have always been a big Nintendo fan. I'm pretty sure i still have an original nintendo sitting around somewhere, my sister has a Super-Nintendo, and i have both a Nintendo 64 and a Gamecube.

The thing about Gamecube that has always bugged me is that, while it has amazing graphics, particually in the RS series, no-one seems to want to make games for it. For example, i would love to have gotten 'Jedi Starfighter' but it was only for xbox and PS2. Same goes for an aussie game, V8 Supercars 2 - it looks great but again, only for xbox and PS2.

FroZticles
09-25-2004, 07:39 PM
I guess its easier to get licensing for xbox,ps2 then it is for the cube. Especially US and AUS companies.

DK_Viceroy
09-26-2004, 03:55 AM
I think the reason why some companies don't want to m ake games for them is that they're afraid Microsoft or Sony will pounce on them anmd try to buy them look at what happened to Rare they made excellent games for nintendo and were sumarilly pounced on and bought up and now because they're afraid of breaching prior agreements and copyright laws they've made crappy games compared to some of their Nintendo titles and they've even resorted to making an over glorified version of Conker 64.

Anyone who says Nintendo is talking nonsense about online gaming obviously doesn't know their history. The Nes and SNES were internet capable and indeed their was a alrge membership in Japan and i think a small membership in america.

I wouldn't nessacerily say it's harder i'd propably just say it's easy because theirs a few universities in the UK that actually offer Gamecube Programming as a university course so Nintendo wouldn't be allowing it If it was hard to get lisencing for it. They do have some kick ass games and the New Zelda Metroid and Starfox look like they blow everything else out of the water and The DS looks like to be a rool away success there's a very long list of Failed handhelds and the PSP has broken several Cardinal rules one of them is Battery Life and another is Price.

What's the RS series some variuant on residenmt evil?

I have a feeling though that Nintendo has learned a few lessons from this round of the Console wars and is Preparing them for Revoloution. Particularly advertising while they had some in britian it was a bit thin on the ground. I particularly remeber the Wind Waker advert which started off with a girl in a grey cloak talking saying that she needed help and that he was her only hope and had amazing screenshots punctuating it. Does make me wonder how many Poly's Wind Waker was pushing around underneath the Cel Shading.

swphreak
09-26-2004, 09:04 AM
Wind Waker sucked. OoT's graphics bombs Wind's away. -_-

RS = Rogue Squadron

And I'm passing on the "DS."