PDA

View Full Version : Joint Operations-Typhoon Rising


CapNColostomy
06-28-2004, 12:35 PM
I got it yesterday, and I think it's pretty good. Anybody around here play it or plan to? Just curious. Anyhow, here's a review, demo, and some screens. http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/jointoperations/review.html

Troopr-Undr-Fir
06-28-2004, 02:30 PM
I went to the store to buy some stuff and also bought me a PC gamer mag. Well it had a demo disc with the joint operations on it. I go to play it and it says something like "Your cd code is expired". Bastiges. So I didn't get to sample it. All I got to play from the disc is this crap-tastic Bf wannabe Soldner. Made me sad :(

CapNColostomy
06-28-2004, 04:55 PM
That's too bad. It's a pretty good game.

Sam Fisher
06-28-2004, 06:37 PM
I didn't get it at all, and it also would not let me enter a vehicle to boot, so that really sucked.

CapNColostomy
06-28-2004, 09:05 PM
Haven't had any trouble entering vehicles myself. You sure it isn't operator error?

wassup
06-28-2004, 10:03 PM
I'm waiting until PCGamer reviews it.

CapNColostomy
06-29-2004, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by wassup
I'm waiting until PCGamer reviews it.

OH! I SEE HOW IT IS! MY WORD'S NOT GOOD ENOUGH, HUH?!?!?! I don't blame you. Sometimes I don't believe me either.

RoxStar
06-29-2004, 01:39 AM
Its a great game. Its a lot better than Battlefield 1942 and the multiplayer is addicting.

legameboy
06-29-2004, 03:00 AM
Originally posted by Troopr-Undr-Fir
... All I got to play from the disc is this crap-tastic Bf wannabe Soldner. Made me sad :(

Hey man, Soldner is awesome. :p

I haven't really been that interested in JO:TR... I guess I'll check it out a bit more, thanks for the links.

Mex
06-29-2004, 06:33 AM
I thought this was a train game. :indif: Ah well, I'll wait to see some reviews first.

Troopr-Undr-Fir
06-29-2004, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by legameboy
Hey man, Soldner is awesome. :p

It is so bugy how could you even enjoy it?

CapNColostomy
06-29-2004, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by Pal™
I thought this was a train game. :indif: Ah well, I'll wait to see some reviews first. You're thinking of Railroad Tycoon, not Typhoon.

CapNColostomy
06-30-2004, 05:37 PM
Kind of a bump, I know. But I played this game last night, and while it wasn't my first time playing it online, it was the first time I played in a FPS server that had 150 players. And it was sweet. I grabbed an AK47, RPG, and used RHIBS and amphibious ATV's to go island hopping and sniper hunting. It was one of the funnest things I've done online in a game for sometime.

CapNColostomy
06-30-2004, 11:03 PM
Yeah, another bump. I thought I'd share some screenshots I took a few minutes ago.

This first one, is me on one side of a river facing an enemy position and a choke point with my trusty ol' sniper rifle, the SR-25. You can't really tell it in the pic, but the guy I just wasted was driving that Armored Attack Vehicle at a pretty high rate of speed. I honestly didn't think I'd hit him.

http://tinypic.com/ag7p

Here's me a little closer to their base, in a wide right flanking position. I was actually hoping to get their guy that was firing a heavy volley of mortar fire at our barely held base. But once I got there, I decided to just pick off random people trying to get in that Armored Attack Vehicle. My first victim, is the same guy from the first screen. I got several other people just trying to run and not drive, but I liked these of the guys trying to drive off.

http://tinypic.com/ag7r
http://tinypic.com/agas
http://tinypic.com/agau

Hope you like 'em. And if you play this badass game, let me know your game name and we'll hook up.

wassup
07-01-2004, 02:54 AM
I heard that you die too easily in this game (a couple of hits) and thus too much time is spent in limbo waiting to be inserted into the action. I understand that the developers wanted to incorporate realism into the game, but it should never detract from the fun factor of the gameplay.

Treacherous Mercenary
07-01-2004, 03:02 AM
Originally posted by wassup
I heard that you die too easily in this game (a couple of hits) and thus too much time is spent in limbo waiting to be inserted into the action. I understand that the developers wanted to incorporate realism into the game, but it should never detract from the fun factor of the gameplay.

I tried the demo of the game and I got tired of it after a while. The game seems to be buggy at that. The amount of players is great though, just wish the engine and such were a little better.

CapNColostomy
07-01-2004, 03:55 AM
Originally posted by wassup
I heard that you die too easily in this game (a couple of hits) and thus too much time is spent in limbo waiting to be inserted into the action. I understand that the developers wanted to incorporate realism into the game, but it should never detract from the fun factor of the gameplay.

Well, yeah if you get shot a couple times you die. But I haven't had that detract from the ammount of fun I've had. And I don't really find it to be all that different from the damage systems I've experienced in other games. And it's impossible to spend time in limbo waiting to spawn, since pressing the space bar spawns you at your primary spawn instantley. If you want ot spawn at an advance point, you may have to wait a few seconds though. I read something similar to your post from IGN, which I've always thought to be a good source for game reviews. But I noticed the guy while griping about dying too easy mentioned that he wished there were a sort of (I believe he said) temporary armor when you spawned, so you could get out of your base without taking sniper fire. Sounds like a great idea. That must be why Nova has been using "spawn armor" for years. Since at least DF2 there has been spawn armor in the Delta Force games (which is basically what this game is), which lasts somewhere between 3-5 seconds unless you fire your weapon. And besides, the maps are so huge (imagine the size of the biggest BF maps then mulitply that by 100, and no borders) that you can spawn somewhere else where nobody is. When I read that, I lost a little respect for IGN. Is that where you read that by chance?

Originally posted by The Silent One
I tried the demo of the game and I got tired of it after a while. The game seems to be buggy at that. The amount of players is great though, just wish the engine and such were a little better.

Right. Well, not to sound rude or mean, but that's the way 9/10 demos are. Not the finished product. I've experienced ZERO bugs in this game so far. In fact, I tried the demo when it came out, and it wouldn't even run on my pc. But the retail version runs great. For me, anyway.

wassup
07-01-2004, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by CapNColostomy
Is that where you read that by chance?


Yup.

But I'm still going to wait until PCGamer reviews it. ;)

RoxStar
07-01-2004, 11:41 PM
[off topic]Hey did I run into you on Halo once Colostomy?[/off topic]

I'll probably buy this game when the procei drops. Or when my wallet fattens up.:D

EDIT: hey, only $40 at circuit city. I might just buy it. But I'll go download the demo first.

CapNColostomy
07-02-2004, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by RoxStar
[off topic]Hey did I run into you on Halo once Colostomy?[/off topic]

I'll probably buy this game when the procei drops. Or when my wallet fattens up.:D

EDIT: hey, only $40 at circuit city. I might just buy it. But I'll go download the demo first.

Nah, it wasn't me. I don't play Halo.

Originally posted by wassup
Yup.

But I'm still going to wait until PCGamer reviews it. ;)

I'm not sure if they've reviewed it or not, but on the front of the box there's a quote from PC Gamer that says "Why I may never play Battlefield 1942 again." Probably not from a review though, since it's dated March.

wassup
07-02-2004, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by CapNColostomy

I'm not sure if they've reviewed it or not, but on the front of the box there's a quote from PC Gamer that says "Why I may never play Battlefield 1942 again." Probably not from a review though, since it's dated March.

Yeah PCGamer printed that quote in a preview for JO a few issues back. They played only a beta build though.

RoxStar
07-02-2004, 01:24 AM
Well by the looks of it my demo should be down within the hour. So if the retial and demo version can play together on a map or soemthing I'm game Colostomy.

CapNColostomy
07-02-2004, 02:24 AM
Originally posted by RoxStar
Well by the looks of it my demo should be down within the hour. So if the retial and demo version can play together on a map or soemthing I'm game Colostomy.

No, sorry. It doesn't. I'll get the demo tonight sometime though before I turn in, and if you want, we can hook up tomorrow sometime.

Treacherous Mercenary
07-02-2004, 02:39 AM
I'll check out the game when I can. Lots of weapon selection, etc though. Have to love that. :D lol, I'll end up with the German weapons in that game. :p

CapNColostomy
07-02-2004, 03:49 AM
Originally posted by The Silent One
I'll check out the game when I can. Lots of weapon selection, etc though. Have to love that. :D lol, I'll end up with the German weapons in that game. :p

Yeah, Groovey mentioned your affection for playing German on CoD.:D

Happy birthday btw.

Treacherous Mercenary
07-02-2004, 04:49 AM
Originally posted by CapNColostomy
Yeah, Groovey mentioned your affection for playing German on CoD.:D

Well hey, I can't help feeling a little pride being born in the country and having some ancestry there. :D

RoxStar
07-02-2004, 08:30 PM
I downloaded the demo and I must say. Its very buggy. O met all the system requirements and i had to turn everything to the "off" or "low" settings to get the lag down to being playable. My system specs are:

1.2 GHZ Processor
64MB Video Card
256 MB of Ram.

Is there a problem like this with the full version?

Pie™
07-02-2004, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by The Silent One
Well hey, I can't help feeling a little pride being born in the country and having some ancestry there. :D Lol, if we hadn't had that chat earlier today, I would have mistaken that as you being proud of the nazis :p

Treacherous Mercenary
07-02-2004, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by RoxStar

1.2 GHZ Processor
64MB Video Card
256 MB of Ram.

Although a demo, I had problems with the game myself. Aside from the fact I have a Dx 8.1 card. :D

Athlon XP 2100+ 1.7Ghz
Geforce4 Ti 4200 128MB
512MB RAM

CapNColostomy
07-02-2004, 08:57 PM
I've played the full version on two machines now. My wifes, and my own. While it certainly runs better on hers (faster cpu, 2.0 ghz I think), it runs fine on mine(1.6 ghz). My video is a regular old GeForce 2 100/200 MX 64 mb, running DX 9.0b, and hers is basically the same only a GeForce 4. Oh well.

RoxStar
07-02-2004, 09:09 PM
Have you tried the demo? I really like this game but I don't want to buy it if It runs like the demo. I want my screens to look like the screenshots online.

CapNColostomy
07-03-2004, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by RoxStar
Have you tried the demo? I really like this game but I don't want to buy it if It runs like the demo. I want my screens to look like the screenshots online.

Well, like I said in my other post, I tried the beta demo, and it wouldn't run at all. It instantly froze up everytime. But that hasn't happened once with the full version. For performance reasons, I have most of my graphics options set to normal or low on my machine, mainly because I play as a sniper and any sort of video lag, combined with regular server/client lag, may mean the difference between giving away my position and blowing an extra hole in someones head. But on my wifes machine, it runs beatifully on normal and high, and about the only difference between them is processor speed.

If I were you, next time your at the store, have a look at the box, or just check online as to what the minimum requirements are, because I don't know why you guys are finding it buggy, other than maybe that's a problem with the demo. I haven't found any bugs or glitches so far. If you meet or exceed them, I highly suggest getting this game. I've hardly touched the Battlefield games (I have them all) since I got this. But if you're not sure if you meet the requirements, I guess I'd not get it if it was me in your place.