PDA

View Full Version : What type of music genre is your favorite?!?!

PR-0927
07-10-2004, 01:45 PM
Yes, I'm bored, I've been thinking about creating this poll for a while.

I'm a rock listening type of person. All types of (modern) rock are for me. Techno-rock and heavy metal too. Same with hybrid-rock!! Rap-metal is O.K. for me also.

I hate country, pop, old rock, "soft rock" (it isn't even rock), the new and crappy R&B (which mixes rap and pop), and rap.

And...I hate all other music from other countries. I really hate Indian music, even though I'm Indian. :p

:fett:

Astrotoy7
07-10-2004, 01:54 PM
hey, where's the 'death/black metal' option dammit !! there's no metal option at all !

*sets poll aflame*

mtfbwya

Curt-Man
07-10-2004, 02:14 PM
thats why he put an other option, i like old and modern, btu more old then modern, some modern totaly blows, i like iron maiden(if you checked now playing in the swamp thread you should see that),acdc,beatles,elvis,sum41,blink 182,offspring,greenday,queen and some rolling stones

GothiX
07-10-2004, 02:21 PM
Death metal, gothic metal, gothic rock, glam metal, celtic and classical music.

Mike Windu
07-10-2004, 02:46 PM
I like rock, alternative, hip hop and r&b.

Blink 182, Velvet Revolver, Twista, D12, Usher, examples ;)

TiE23
07-10-2004, 03:27 PM
My favs for each type:

Modern Rock: The Vines
Old Rock: Led Zepplin
Modern & Old Rock: AC-DC
Rap: Eminem
Pop: Basement Jaxx
New R&B: WTF is R&B?
Non-American Music: Spice Girls J/K :xp:
Techno: Lunatic Calm
Other: Jem

I voted for modern rock.

TiE

ckcsaber
07-10-2004, 04:36 PM
Your poll should be re-titled: What type of POP music is your favorite.

PR-0927
07-10-2004, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by TiE 23
My favs for each type:

Modern Rock: The Vines
Old Rock: Led Zepplin
Modern & Old Rock: AC-DC
Rap: Eminem
Pop: Basement Jaxx
New R&B: WTF is R&B?
Non-American Music: Spice Girls J/K :xp:
Techno: Lunatic Calm
Other: Jem

I voted for modern rock.

TiE

Dude, R&B is Rythym (spelling) and Blues. It isn't what it used to be.

My favorite band is Linkin Park!! Death metal is O.K., for me. I just like heavy metal and a bit of gothic metal.

IG-64
07-10-2004, 06:37 PM
I'll pick other because I don't have a specific liking, I just listen to whatever song appeals to me.

CapNColostomy
07-10-2004, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by Astrotoy7
hey, where's the 'death/black metal' option dammit !!

What he said.

Darth Groovy
07-10-2004, 07:15 PM
I can't pick one type, I like lots of different styles. The only genre I cannot stand is Country. I cannot and WILL not ever listen to any Country what-so-ever. Horrible.

Astrotoy7
07-11-2004, 01:40 AM
Originally posted by Darth Groovy
I can't pick one type, I like lots of different styles. The only genre I cannot stand is Country. I cannot and WILL not ever listen to any Country what-so-ever. Horrible.

I agree with groovetron, again

*baffled at the inconsistencies of life*

:p

mtfbwya

Alegis
07-11-2004, 05:08 AM
but...but...[] dancing rules!

Old rock mostly..listen to some carefully picked masterpieces from about each genre though

GothiX
07-11-2004, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by Majin Revan
I hate .. "soft rock" .. (it isn't even rock)..

My favorite band is Linkin Park!!

Oh, good God, the irony.

Doomie
07-11-2004, 09:59 AM
Heh... Easy. I voted other, because i'm what you'd call a nerd and i don't like popmusic at all. In fact, i once got sick by listening to hard popmusic for a long time. The music i like, comes from games and movies.

Fine call me crazy. I don't care, cause i know i am.

PR-0927
07-11-2004, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by GothiX
Oh, good God, the irony.

That makes no sense whatsoever. "Soft rock" is gay-ass bands, like, the Back**** Boys and N'Stink. Which, is basically pop music. I dunno why they include the word "rock" in there.

BTW- Linkin Park is a heavy hybrid-rock band. You probably won't agree, as you listen to the most heavy and hard music. The most heavy that I listen to is death metal...every once in a while. Otherwise, the most heavy it gets for me is...System of a Down, Disturbed, Metallica, Cold, Deftones, P.O.D., and punk rock, like, Sum 41. Not the most heavy there is, of course.

GothiX
07-11-2004, 11:28 AM
Eh, Majin, get a grip. Linkin Park is popmusic.

PR-0927
07-11-2004, 11:46 AM
Not really.

They are always on rock stations- alternative rock ones, heavy/hard rock ones.
They don't view themselves as pop.
Even anti-Linkin Park people don't.
Linkin Park has a Japanese rapper- pop music has no rap.
Chester Bennington screams- pop music doesn't have screaming.
Only classical and rock bands actually play their own music with instruments- Linkin Park does, pop music people don't.

Hope you see the light now.

Hekx
07-11-2004, 12:03 PM
I don't usually class music, but if I had to, I would say: Alternative, which brances into a lot of genres for me. :p

Samuel Dravis
07-11-2004, 01:03 PM
I like classical, and a few soundtracks that appeal to me. Much of the other stuff is either just people drowning out their subpar lyrics with banging on their instruments in a semi-rythmic way (you don't really notice because you went deaf about 2 seconds in), or just stuff that's totally revolting. Like country. Note that I don't even grace it with a capital C. :p

Lightsaberboy
07-11-2004, 09:44 PM
its all about classical music
mozart pwnz j00 all.

Joetheeskimo
07-11-2004, 10:14 PM
Alternative, Rock, Techno, Hip Hop.

Seriously, this poll should've been multi-choice. :rolleyes:

Acrylic
07-12-2004, 01:53 AM
Old Rock. Led Zeppelin is the best, but I'mm say my best from each category:

Modern Rock: Nickelback

Old Rock: Led Zeppelin

Modern & Old Rock : Uhm, I dunno, other than the bands I listed above, Pink Floyd

Rap: Ma$e

Pop: Uhm...no.

New R&B: Kevin Lyttle

Non-American Music: Divlje Jagode

Techno: Paul Oakenfold

Other: Me :D

ET Warrior
07-12-2004, 03:06 AM

They don't view themselves as pop.
Even anti-Linkin Park people don't.
Chester Bennington screams- pop music doesn't have screaming.
Only classical and rock bands actually play their own music with instruments- Linkin Park does, pop music people don't.

If I dont view myself as a man, does that make me a woman? Or just a man with delusions.......
That's not true, lots of people see them as more poppy than rock
False generalization, screaming does not make you a hard rock band
another false generalization, plenty of "pop" bands play their own instruments.

Your talking about Linking Park not being "soft-rock" is akin to those punk-wannabe kids who think that Sum41 and mxpx and Good Charrolette are hardcore punk bands :dozey:

Astrotoy7
07-12-2004, 06:19 AM
Originally posted by ET Warrior

If I dont view myself as a man, does that make me a woman? Or just a man with delusions.......

I often view myself as a lesbian trapped inside a mans body....

Musical genres arent as clear cut nowdays I find. There seems to be alot of crossover, which is probably inevitable seeing that modern artists are exposed to many diverse musical influences, as compared to the original rockers from the 50s for example...

mtfbwya

PS - I still think metal should have its own category, poor metal fans :(

CapNColostomy
07-12-2004, 08:16 AM

That's not true, lots of people see them as more poppy than rock
False generalization, screaming does not make you a hard rock band
another false generalization, plenty of "pop" bands play their own instruments.

Your talking about Linking Park not being "soft-rock" is akin to those punk-wannabe kids who think that Sum41 and mxpx and Good Charrolette are hardcore punk bands :dozey:

OMFG! If I start a metal church, will you come preach at it ET? I fookin' love you now!

Anyways, if you can't decide if your favorite group/singer/rapper/jackass qualifies as pop or not, ask yourself this simple question: Do I hear my favorite "artist" on the radio constantly? If you answered yes, your favorite flavor of the week is a poop...I mean POP sensation simply because the term pop is a derivitive of the word popular. And if it's on the radio alot, it's popular. So Linkin Park has tricked you into thinking they are metal, and nothing more, my gullible friend. Please excercise caution in dealing with this obviously crappy and deceitful band in the future.

PS. Just because they have a rapper in the band, doesn't make them less pop, and more metal. In fact, since rap is the current POPULAR music, it makes them MORE pop. And more poop.

Sabretooth
07-12-2004, 08:25 AM
And...I hate all other music from other countries. I really hate Indian music, even though I'm Indian. :p

You... You... Betrayer!!!!

I like all sorts of Gothic music, Death Metal, Black Metal, Heavy Metal, Viking Metal and Classical/Rock hybrid. (Electric Guitar with piano and violins!)

Har Ghadi Badal Rahi He, khup zindagi
Chaav he kahi, kahi he dhoop aur kahi,
jo hain saman, kal ho na ho...

Mercenary
07-12-2004, 09:40 AM
yeah I don't like those pop bands who think they're punk. They have no idea what it is to be punk. Making big corporations lots of money is definitely not it. I don't even listen to punk but I'm more punk than they'll ever be.

Tyrion
07-12-2004, 10:55 AM
Don't really care about genre's. Hell, my favorite bands are Nirvana, Linkin Park, Sting, and Final Fantasy VII(Alright, so it's not a band. Sue me, Nobuo Uematsu is a mastermind).

(I didn't know Linkin Park was metal or pop, I thought all along it was Techno. :p)

In fact, since rap is the current POPULAR music, it makes them MORE pop. And more poop.

The world's a strange place when success is equated to being poop.:rolleyes:

'course, there's Britney Spears and N'sync...yeah, I'll eat my words and say the world's screwed up horribly. :(

PR-0927
07-12-2004, 03:27 PM
*Sigh...*

Linkin Park is officially rock. I never said hard/heavy rock, did I? If so, oops...

They are hybrid/rock/techno, with a Japanese rapper (and a Chinese or Japanese disc-jockey/music video creator)!!

BTW- Sabretooth!! I'm not a betrayer, I think...(the lyrics...I DIDN'T READ THEM!!).

jebbers
07-12-2004, 11:53 PM
give me the hard-core music stylings of STEMM (www.stemm.net) :rock: :rock:

Captain Wilson
07-13-2004, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by Astrotoy7
hey, where's the 'death/black metal' option dammit !! there's no metal option at all !

Trash(i probaly have spelt this wrong) and hevey as well.

That plus punk, but Proper punk (sex pistols for example)

Sabretooth
07-13-2004, 06:04 AM
BTW- Sabretooth!! I'm not a betrayer, I think...(the lyrics...I DIDN'T READ THEM!!).

You cannot escape Hindi music... :dev6:

txa1265
07-13-2004, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by ckcsaber
Your poll should be re-titled: What type of POP music is your favorite. That might be a bit narrow, but I think that the rock genre has been over sub-classed in this poll.

I see:
- Pop
- Rock
- R&B/Rap
- Country
- Jazz
- Classical
... and probably others for electronica and non-western forms.

As for Rock, it encompasses most stuff here. Age of people making music, or of the music itself doesn't impact content, so 'old' or 'modern' are nonsensical distinctions. Hard rock is rock. Punk, aka punk rock ... is rock. Metal is rock, making death metal ... rock. Alternative rock ... is rock.

Pop is a broad-reaching category as well, and pretty tough to place boundaries on. For instance, I call the Police 'rock', and also the first of Sting's solo albums, but he is squarely 'pop' now.

I put R&B and Rap (and hip-hop or whatever) together ... they could be separate.

When I look on my iPod, I'm not surprised to see that the overwhelming majority of my stuff is Jazz. Then rock, classical, soundtracks, hip-hop, pop, and so on.

Mike

--ZeeMan--
07-13-2004, 05:27 PM
modern and classic rock

Poggle
07-13-2004, 06:07 PM
^^ what he said i dont mind the odd bit of hip hop more the older stuff nothing r&b though

legameboy
07-13-2004, 10:38 PM
I like...

AC/DC, Led Zepplin, Pink Floyd, David Bowie, the Beatles, Elvis Presley, The Rolling Stones, Hel, The Strokes, and Eric Clapton.

I'm mostly into Old Rock and Oldies in general, but those are my favorites.

Oh and...

I LOVE YOU ET! LET'S BECOME LOVERS!

:p Joking, but I really agree with everything you said.

GonkH8er
07-13-2004, 11:45 PM
I'm with txa. I look at my itunes list, and a good 1/3 of the 5000 songs there are jazz and funk.

I have a pretty diverse taste in music. But I detest rap.

I'll post up the more prominant artists who pepper my playlist.

Apollo 440
The Avalanches ***
Basement Jaxx
Ben Folds Five
The Butterfly Effect ***
Daft Punk
The Dandy Warhols
The Doors
Epicure ***
Franz Ferdinand
Grinspoon ***
Groove Armada
Jamiroquai
Jeff Buckley
John Butler Trio ***
The Mars Volta
Metallica
Nine Inch Nails
Placebo
Portishead
PowderFinger ***
Scissor Sisters
Smashing Pumpkins
Something for Kate ***
System of a Down
Vast
The Vines ***
The White Stripes
The Whitlams ***
Wilco
Zephyr Timbre ***

The ones with stars next to them are australian bands. You should all check them out, if you havent heard them already :P

I should probably post up a list of their better songs, so you dont download their average songs and go "errrrrrr..."

I'm not trying to shove our music down your throat. I just listen to a lot of Australian music :p :)

CapNColostomy
07-14-2004, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by Tyrion
The world's a strange place when success is equated to being poop.:rolleyes:

I never claimed to speak for the "world" :rolleyes:. That's just my opinion. It can be taken or left. The ammount of sleep I get will be the same, whichever way you go with it. :)

ET Warrior
07-14-2004, 02:54 AM
Originally posted by GonkH8er
System of a Down

I likes me some System of a Down......favorite song Gonk?

I LOVE YOU ET! LET'S BECOME LOVERS!

:eek: I could use a new lover...

<_<

>_>

Good thing my girlfriend isn't nerdy enough to post here with us, not sure how Kain does it ;)

Tyrion
07-14-2004, 05:17 AM
Originally posted by CapNColostomy
I never claimed to speak for the "world" :rolleyes:. That's just my opinion. It can be taken or left. The ammount of sleep I get will be the same, whichever way you go with it. :)

Ah yes, I suffer from insomnia due to some colostomy(yes, I know what it is) freak's raving delusion that his opinion actually matters.;)

Now on the other hand, that damn "True-Live.Love.Learn." ad is making me an insomniac.

:p

toms
07-14-2004, 10:06 AM
powderfinger rule.... :D

I'm not sure you can do this sort of thing with a poll. I'd probably have to pick "modern rock" if i voted... but that could range from dire rubbish like limp bizkit or linkin park all thr way through stuff like the darkness up to muse or whatever.

I just like bands/singers that are GOOD, original, have a unique sound or something to say... whatever the genre.
Just cos i like one "old rock" band doesn't mean i like others, just cos i like Snow Patrol doesn't mean i like Keane, just cos i hate most manufactured pop doesn't mean i can't appreciate the odd good bit that comes along.
Current favourites include Muse, Led Zep, White Stripes, Snow Patrol, Joss Stone, Nelly Furtado, Audioslave, Foo fighters, Kylie, Love, Nirvana, old rhcp stuff, beastie boys, jamie cullum, faithless and others...

Compartmentalising stuff into genres leads to all the copycat rubbish the music industry churns out that has lead a big decline in decent bands over the last few years.

doughnutslayer
07-18-2004, 02:10 AM
Metallica RULES!!!

http://www.metallica.com/images/extras/2003_logo_bw2.jpg (http://www.metallica.com/index.asp)

:guitar2 :band1

Mike Windu
07-18-2004, 02:22 AM
Metallica >_>

*gets a Lars action figure*

*plays an anti-Napster sign*

*cue Sum41-The Hell Song*

:D

El Sitherino
07-18-2004, 04:24 AM
Horror Punk - The Misfits
east coast punk - Anti-Flag, Rancid, Bad Religion, The Unseen, Thursday
Skate punk - AFI (92-95), Bouncing Souls, The Distillers
Indie Rock - Violent Femmes, Black Cats.
Heavy Metal - Anthrax, Motorhead, Judas Priest
Rap - Tupac, Beastie Boys, Bone Thugs n Harmony
Classic rock - Led Zepplin, Jimi Hendrix, The Doors, KISS, Pink Floyd, Eric Clapton/cream, The Grateful Dead, Janis Joplin, Roky Erickson, The Beatles
Jazz - Miles Davis, Yoko Kanno
Blues - Muddy Waters, Robert Johnson, B.B. King
Funk - Kool and the Gang (jungle boogie), James Brown
Other - Stevie Ray Vaugh ( he's a difficult man to tie to a genre ;) )
Raggae - Bob Marley
Japanese techno punk - Mad Capsule markets
J-rock - X japan
Trance - DJ doboy, DJ tiesto, DJ Ciacomix, Ocean Lab, DJ Foggy, DJ Panda
Hard Trance - DJ Dean
Emo - Dashboard Confessional, Weezer
Punk - The Plasmatics, The Clash, Black Flag, The Ramones

I have others, but I can't think worth sh*t right now x_x

PS: Linkin Park is horrible. and Justin Timberlake screams a lot, does that make him rock?

CapNColostomy
07-18-2004, 05:14 AM
Originally posted by InsaneSith
PS: Linkin Park is horrible.

Werd.

Sabretooth
07-18-2004, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by InsaneSith
PS: Linkin Park is horrible. and Justin Timberlake screams a lot, does that make him rock?

Linkin Park is good, especially for walking your dog. I love those benches and flowers!

Timberlake totally stones man! (Or does he pebble?)

legameboy
07-18-2004, 11:05 AM
Werd.

Werd.

Sabertooth, were you being sarcastic by any chance? :p

Don't look at me that way, it's hard to tell over the internet. >_>

acdcfanbill
07-18-2004, 11:40 AM
wow, i did not know there were so many black/death metal fans here :) i am truely among friends then :cool: i have to abstain from taht poll lol

Tormey
07-18-2004, 03:12 PM
well I really have no specific preference but if I have to pic out any one tune or song as my favorit it would be the theme from the original series Battlestar Galactica, but in general I like all kinds of music

SkinWalker
07-18-2004, 03:57 PM
What a travesty it is that you didn't put Jazz or Blues on the poll!

In the Jazz genre, I'm partial to Miles Davis, Coltrane, Gillespie, David "Fathead" Newman, Charlie Parker, Charles Mingus, etc.... Cool, Bop and Hard Bop being my favorite sub-genres. But I also like most female vocalists, contemporary and traditional: Ella Fitzgerald, Billy Holiday, Diana Krall, Holly Cole, Norah Jones, etc.

In Blues, Muddy Waters and Robert Johnson are undeniably among the best, but I also like Son House, Sonny Boy Williamson, and just about everybody that has the nickname "Blind:" Blind Willie, Blind Lemon, Blind Boy Fuller, etc.

El Sitherino
07-18-2004, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by SkinWalker
What a travesty it is that you didn't put Jazz or Blues on the poll!

In the Jazz genre, I'm partial to Miles Davis, Coltrane, Gillespie, David "Fathead" Newman, Charlie Parker, Charles Mingus, etc.... Cool, Bop and Hard Bop being my favorite sub-genres. But I also like most female vocalists, contemporary and traditional: Ella Fitzgerald, Billy Holiday, Diana Krall, Holly Cole, Norah Jones, etc.

In Blues, Muddy Waters and Robert Johnson are undeniably among the best, but I also like Son House, Sonny Boy Williamson, and just about everybody that has the nickname "Blind:" Blind Willie, Blind Lemon, Blind Boy Fuller, etc. <3

Mex
07-18-2004, 04:33 PM
I like any music. I can swing any way baby yeah!

ET Warrior
07-18-2004, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by legameboy
Werd.

He's obviously joking...get it? Linkin park...good for walking your dog...you walk your dog in a park...there are trees...and benches...and grass....and birds....yeah.

legameboy
07-18-2004, 09:15 PM
Oh.

*beats himself repeatedly with a rusty pipe*

Sabretooth
07-18-2004, 11:14 PM
Originally posted by legameboy
Werd.

Looks at legameboy 'that' way...

Sabretooth
07-18-2004, 11:17 PM
He's obviously joking...get it? Linkin park...good for walking your dog...you walk your dog in a park...there are trees...and benches...and grass....and birds....yeah.

Yep, and Linkin' Park-The band can also be paid to walk your dog!

SeleneRayne
07-19-2004, 09:44 PM
I like different types of rock, but heavy metal would have to be my fav. :D

Ain't it funny how the night moves? -Bob Seager

RoxStar
07-19-2004, 10:01 PM
Well, I wonder, what music could I possibly like?

Pie™
07-20-2004, 08:26 AM
Umm... you forgot every kind of metal :o

Oh, and goth/goth rock would be my fave, then maybe power metal, speed metal, and black metal :)

Anthony
07-20-2004, 10:03 AM
*blink*

Where in gods name is metal.

Lotsa metal, and lotsa rock.

AHHH! NOT RAP.

txa1265
07-20-2004, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by Pie™
Umm... you forgot every kind of metal :o

Oh, and goth/goth rock would be my fave, then maybe power metal, speed metal, and black metal :) They are all sub-genres of rock.

Mike

Pie™
07-20-2004, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by txa1265
They are all sub-genres of rock.

Mike Then so is pop and punk, and rock would be a sub-genre of blues, and so on...

>>> ;)

I'm sick of finding Cradle Of Filth cds next to Tina Turner, if you know what I mean :barf:

I loves me tina t

acdcfanbill
07-20-2004, 08:44 PM
metal is so far removed from what most ppl consider to be 'rock' these days, they arnt even remotely related. i love rock, real rock tho, acdc, sabbath, stones, that sort of thing, not the made especially for a quick sale and doing well on mtv rock that is pumped out at a blinding rate by the so called music labels and 'artists' today. older metal bands i think probably tie into the roots of rock alot more. maiden, priest, megadeth, old metallica, anthrax. its thier sound that they have in common i think, that ties them to rock.

stuff from teh same time period, venom, exodus, slayer, all a littl emore edgy, farther removed from rock in general. then you jump ahead a few years to the next big metal explosion and you see it coming from europe/scandinavia. alot of the metal coming out of there has so few roots tied to rock you cant really classify them as similar anymore. I have alot of folk/black metal bands that are a lot more some of the folk singers of old than rock. some like Finntroll base their whole sounds around polka-ish elements. the folk themes come thru, but its still black metal in its purest sense, simply by the vocals and alot of the harmoics.

metal itself isnt rooted as much in rock, as in classical music i think. take a look at alot of the themes and they way many of metallicas early songs are put together, very classicaly influenced. bands like Dimmu Borgir are recording with entire orchestras. so i dont think its entirely correct to call metal a subgenre of rock, its a genre of its own, getting its influences from many sources, rock only one, and only for some of metal.

txa1265
07-20-2004, 10:27 PM
Then so is pop and punk, and rock would be a sub-genre of blues, and so on... Fine, then separate Rock & Metal, just as you might R&B from Rap/Hip-Hop. But you don't need to separate Gangsta from from East Coast from West Coast from Old Skool from whatever else ...

... my point is, just like Soldier of Fortune II labeled itself as a 'tactical covert-ops shooter' so it wouldn't be seen as just 'FPS', each new rock group with something remotely different seems to want (or its' fan-base does) a new genre.

My basic point is that the goal should be good music, not a 'new' genre.

Originally posted by acdcfanbill
metal itself isnt rooted as much in rock, as in classical music i think. take a look at alot of the themes and they way many of metallicas early songs are put together, very classicaly influenced. bands like Dimmu Borgir are recording with entire orchestras. so i dont think its entirely correct to call metal a subgenre of rock, its a genre of its own, getting its influences from many sources, rock only one, and only for some of metal. I'm not sure whether to laugh, cry, or hurl.

Of course metal is *based* ENTIRELY in rock music. Saying otherwise is just wrong. Period. Where it has gone since then, and what each new group brings for background and inspiration and influence is an entirely different story.

The Beatles recorded with orchestra, that didn't make them a classical group - they were rock. Wes Montgomery and Miles Davis and so on recorded with Orchestras ... they are still jazz.

Mike

CapNColostomy
07-21-2004, 12:15 AM
He didn't say recording with an orchestra changed rock to classical. He said he thought that metals roots were tied more so in classical music than regular ol' rock. I tend to agree.

txa1265
07-21-2004, 08:03 AM
metals roots were tied more so in classical music than regular ol' rock. I tend to agree. OK, let me see if I misunderstand or if you are musically 'challenged'.

You are saying that the basis of current heavy metal has nothing to do with the development chain starting with the Yardbirds and the Who, branching through the Jeff Beck group with Rod Stewart, then to Blue Cheer and Led Zepplin and Black Sabbath, through groups in the 70's and 80's such as Blue Oyster Cult, Iron Maiden and then like Metallica and Anthrax to newer stuff ...

... but is ties instead with the contrapuntal work of Bach, Vivaldi and Mozart, or Schoenberg's structural functionalism, or Cage's exploration of tonal variance, or Reich's minimalism?

Let me see - most metal I know or have heard features musical backing in support of a vocal front that utilizes AABA song structures, uses a typical drum pattern for rhythmic purposes, electric bass for chordal foundations and occasional harmonic support (e.g. wildly talented people like Billy Sheehan), and one or two guitarists playing some combination of simple I-IV-V chords and pentatonic meoldies. Am I missing something?

Perhaps you should link me over to some sites that feature samples I could listen to, perhaps with transcriptions I could study to better understand the music. (in all seriousness - I'm not being snide)

This is not to put down metal, as many would do. Incorporating stylistic elements from other genres is a great way of expanding the sonic palette - something that is in sorely short supply in the popular realms. But claiming that metal music has Classical rather than Rock parentage ...

Mike

CapNColostomy
07-21-2004, 02:54 PM
Well, maybe I should rephrase my statement. The metal I listen to, and grew up listening to, has roots in classical music. That's not to say rock had nothing to do with how it sounds. But I don't think it's very fair to say anything that has a guy with long hair playing a guitar that's running through some kind or distortion pedal or processor is just a product or derivitive of rock solely.

I base most of what I say on chord progressions, scales done in solos and fill ins, and odd timing measures that I find in current metal that I enjoy. Which is to say metal that isn't getting played to death on the radio. Actually, if I could think of one person to point to that might be responsible for the direction metal has taken as far as being technically challenging, I'd have to point to Yngwie Malmsteen. As much as I hate the guys work, and even more so his attitude, his take on playing classical style scales in metal music spawned the enitre shreading craze in the late 80's-early 90's, and took the art of playing metal guitar to a completely new level. I'm not into the whole shreading thing myself. But as for a couple modern bands that I think do a great job of playing techically challlenging metal without shredding (which I think is the coolest form metal has taken on) I'd suggest listening to Meshuggah-Destroy Erase Improve, or ANYTHING by The Dillenger Escape Plan.

[EDIT] I'm about to head off to work, so I don't really have the time, but when I get home I'll look up the sheet music or tabs for those bands if you're still interested.

txa1265
07-21-2004, 03:51 PM

[EDIT] I'm about to head off to work, so I don't really have the time, but when I get home I'll look up the sheet music or tabs for those bands if you're still interested. Absolutely - hey I was serious about wanting to discuss. I'm a lover of music of (almost ;) ) all types, and of skilled musicians everywhere. Yngwie Malmsteen is a very talented person, I've heard some stuff, but since I'm more of a jazz-head, not too much. Steve Vai did lots of wild shredding stuff as well ...

Mike

CapNColostomy
07-22-2004, 05:19 AM
Well, I was hoping to find the sheet music for a Dillenger Escape Plan song, but it took quite a while just to run across this: http://www.tabmall.com/cgi-bin/gtabs.cgi?get&/d/dillinger_escape_plan/the_mullet_burden.txt

I wish it gave an exact account of the song, and that you could actually hear it. These guys are crazy. Funny you should mention liking jazz, because while I wouldn't by any means call these guys some jazz metal fusion, it reminds me of jazz in that to the untrained ear, it sounds like it's just random and thrown together when in actuality, it's very precise.

Here's another song called 43% Burnt, which I think is one of the meanest sounding things ever put to record. The guitar, bass, and drums all do some pretty phenominal things in this song. Once again, not jazz, but definately a hint of that eratic almost nonsense sound. http://www.tabmall.com/cgi-bin/gtabs.cgi?get&/d/dillinger_escape_plan/43_burnt.txt

I didn't look for Meshuggah sheet music or tabs, because...well, I didn't want to sit here all night doing this. But I thought it was cool the guy that transcribed the DEP songs has meshuggah in his email address. Anyhow, later.

Pie™
07-22-2004, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by txa1265
OK, let me see if I misunderstand or if you are musically 'challenged'.

You are saying that the basis of current heavy metal has nothing to do with the development chain starting with the Yardbirds and the Who, branching through the Jeff Beck group with Rod Stewart, then to Blue Cheer and Led Zepplin and Black Sabbath, through groups in the 70's and 80's such as Blue Oyster Cult, Iron Maiden and then like Metallica and Anthrax to newer stuff ...

... but is ties instead with the contrapuntal work of Bach, Vivaldi and Mozart, or Schoenberg's structural functionalism, or Cage's exploration of tonal variance, or Reich's minimalism?

Let me see - most metal I know or have heard features musical backing in support of a vocal front that utilizes AABA song structures, uses a typical drum pattern for rhythmic purposes, electric bass for chordal foundations and occasional harmonic support (e.g. wildly talented people like Billy Sheehan), and one or two guitarists playing some combination of simple I-IV-V chords and pentatonic meoldies. Am I missing something?

Perhaps you should link me over to some sites that feature samples I could listen to, perhaps with transcriptions I could study to better understand the music. (in all seriousness - I'm not being snide)

This is not to put down metal, as many would do. Incorporating stylistic elements from other genres is a great way of expanding the sonic palette - something that is in sorely short supply in the popular realms. But claiming that metal music has Classical rather than Rock parentage ...

Mike Well, you might be an old geezer who knows everything, but there's one thing I can do that you can't...

I can spell Led Zeppelin! :D

Uh, yeah, sorry, I'm challenged :-|

Sam Fisher
07-22-2004, 10:06 AM
Well, I like instrumental, like movis soundtracks/game soundtracks.. that sort of thing.

But I did just get a Linking Park CD, and they aren't bad.

txa1265
07-22-2004, 10:22 AM
I can spell Led Zeppelin! :D :D Touche' ;)

At least I didn't mis-spell 'The Who' or something ;)

Mike

kingdomwinds
07-22-2004, 03:31 PM
www.atomickitten.com best music bwahahahaaa j/k

Sabretooth
07-23-2004, 06:33 AM
Originally posted by kingdomwinds
www.atomickitten.com best music bwahahahaaa j/k

Aaah! That's for sissies!

Darth Rythe
07-23-2004, 07:51 AM
Techno, but I find some Aussie rap to be funny.