PDA

View Full Version : What should Monkey 5 be about?

spaceflounder
07-15-2004, 02:43 PM
If you were in control of Monkey Island 5, what would the story be? Mine would go a bit like--

The Ruins of Monkey Island

Part 1. After Elaine and Guybrush go off to sea together, Elaine is bitten by a golden skull and finds herself turning into a zombie.

Part 2. Guybrush discovers (via Voodoo Lady) that the effects can be reversed, if he finds a secret elixer once in possesion of LeChuck. Along the way, he runs afoul of Largo LaGrande.

Part 3. Elaine and Guybrush arrive at Monkey Island, and search the ruins of LeChuck's old fortress in an effort to find the elixier. Largo follows them there and revives LeChuck.

Part 4. Elaine drinks the elixier and returns to normal. Guybrush and Elaine must now defeat LeChuck and Largo if they want to get off the island alive.

Just an idea. Probably needs to be fleshed out.

Joshi
07-15-2004, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by spaceflounder

Part 3. Elaine and Guybrush arrive at Monkey Island, and search the ruins of LeChuck's old fortress in an effort to find the elixier. Largo follows them there and revives LeChuck.

Wasn't LeChuck's Fortress in some unknown part of the sea?

spaceflounder
07-16-2004, 02:23 AM
I had always thought that LeChuck had some stronghold on Monkey Island, like was mentioned in CMI.

Joshi
07-16-2004, 11:22 AM
In Mi1, he lives in his ship underground on a river of lava. In Mi2, he has a fortress somewhere out to see where no one knows where it is. In Mi3, he's back underground again in the amusement park and in Mi4, he takes up shop masquerading as some bloke who want's to be governor and make things all too political for a Monkey Island game.

No actualy fortress on Monkey Island.

spaceflounder
07-16-2004, 09:12 PM
...sigh...

I don't suppose it really matters, does it?

But I guess you're right.

Why can't stupid Lucasarts sell the stupid rights to stupid Gilbert?

Joshi
07-17-2004, 10:12 AM
Because stupid Gilbert wouldn't know what to do with them.
Sorry, but I think its wrong to think of him as a god when it was a calaboration betwen him, the wonderful Tim Schafer and Dave Grossman and the rest of the crew that came up with the two games, Gilbert may have ah the idea in the first place, but it was all of them that fleshed it out into the game you see before you.

Plus the rights to Monkey Island still make LucasArts money, through sales of the previous games, selling the rights would be selling any future profits, and LucasArts are all about profit these days.

spaceflounder
07-17-2004, 11:41 AM
Suppose LucasArts consigns the license to Gilbert's company? He's got his own team and his own engine. Gilbert gets a publisher, and everybody's happy.

spaceflounder
07-18-2004, 07:12 PM
Let's revise, shall we?

Part 1. After Elaine and Guybrush go off to sea together, Elaine is bitten by a golden skull and finds herself turning into a zombie.

Part 2. Guybrush discovers (via Voodoo Lady) that the effects can be reversed, if he finds a secret elixer once in possesion of LeChuck. Along the way, he runs afoul of Largo LaGrande.

Part 3. Elaine and Guybrush arrive at Monkey Island, and search the ruins of LeChuck's old CARNIVAL (not fortress) in an effort to find the elixier. Largo follows them there and revives LeChuck.

Part 4. Elaine drinks the elixier and returns to normal. Guybrush and Elaine must now defeat LeChuck and Largo if they want to get off the island alive.

Skinkie
07-19-2004, 01:38 AM
In EMI Murray talks about how when LeChuck busted out of the ice he destroyed all traces of the carnival out of madness and embarrassment.

spaceflounder
07-19-2004, 05:30 AM
boy, i forgot about EMI. (Forgive me, it's not my favorite game, not by a long shot.)

hmmm, that's gonna take a bit of reworking.

spaceflounder
07-19-2004, 11:10 PM

Part 2. Guybrush discovers (via Voodoo Lady) that the effects can be reversed, but only by passing through the gates of Big Whoop can she be made human again. Along the way, he runs afoul of Largo LaGrande.

Part 3. Elaine and Guybrush arrive at Monkey Island, in an effort to find Big Whoop. Largo follows them there and revives LeChuck.

Part 4. Elaine enters Big Whoop and returns to normal. Guybrush and Elaine must now defeat LeChuck and Largo if they want to get off the island alive.

Skinkie
07-20-2004, 02:46 AM
Make sure she has to pass through backwards to reverse the zombie pirate effects that come from going through the normal way. Or something weird like that.

spaceflounder
07-20-2004, 02:54 AM
I don't understand why LucasArts is so paranoid about fangame projects! This sort of thing wouldn't be too hard to do--use AGS to build it, set the style to be a game made in the early 90's (ala Monkey II).

Would I really deprive any profit from LucasArts by making a simple little fangame set in the Monkey Island universe?

Waemer
07-20-2004, 04:04 AM
Would I really deprive any profit from LucasArts by making a simple little fangame set in the Monkey Island universe? [/B]

YES IT WOULD.

spaceflounder
07-20-2004, 02:10 PM
how so?

would people stop buying lucasarts products because of my stupid fangame?

wow! this is the best fangame in the world! i'll stop buying everything else altogther!!

Joshi
07-20-2004, 03:56 PM
It's not that, it' just that they're a little techy about copyrights and such, despite such fangames being distributed free. Come up with a game which is surprisingly like a monkey island game, but change the names around. LA would of course know, but be powerless to do anything about it.

A lot of nicer gameing companies allow fangames and some even encourage them, but LA are a bit stiff about fangames.

spaceflounder
07-21-2004, 10:16 PM
stupid stupid stupid

LA is just stupid.

Did Zork fangames ever hurt Activision?

See if I ever buy another Star Wars game again.

Cap'n Bender
07-22-2004, 08:42 PM
Monkey 5 should be about , well i dont know but Id like to see a lot more insult swordfighting a return of Largo Legrande, Revisitations (is that a word?) of islands from the first 2 like Scabb, Booty Phatt and most certainly monkey! Also BRING BACK BILL TILLErR! they should try to involve Ron Gilbert by concinving him to work on MOnkey 5. skip the 3d and bring back the elements that made the game A SWASHBUCKLING ADVENTURE OF PIRATEY PROPORTIONS! :zamn1:

Cap'n Bender
07-22-2004, 08:43 PM
note I havent really been following the discussion or looking at it at all, i just wanted to share my views:rolleyes:

Ray Jones
07-23-2004, 06:42 AM
note there is a little sweet edit button for adding additional stuff.

[edit]

see?

:p

Cap'n Bender
07-23-2004, 08:07 PM
excuse me Rayjjones but ive only been on this site for 2 days. have you thought about the fact that perhaps i never noticed? anyway thanks for the advice:D

Joshi
07-24-2004, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by Cap'n Bender
excuse me Rayjjones but ive only been on this site for 2 days. have you thought about the fact that perhaps i never noticed?

That's probably exactly what he thought, which is why he said that, he was being nice (something you'll rarely see from rayjones, so be thankful) and giving you advice.

Also welcome to this wonderful world of Monkey Island and our community. Don't forget to pick up a sombrero.

Cosmo Jones
08-23-2004, 02:01 PM
Your plot seems okay Spaceflounder, but there is a small problem with it. You posted earlier about not liking EMI very much, so you may not remember this either: at the end of EMI, Ozzy Mandril zaps LeChuck with the ultimate insult. So if LeChuck lost his ego, why would he still fight Guybrush and Elaine?

Joshi
08-24-2004, 03:29 PM
Perhaps Lechuck gets the sense knocked back into him when he lands after blasting off at the end of EMI. The whole pulling out the ice thing was worse than that so i see no reason why they can't use as stupid an excuse as that.

toenail1
08-24-2004, 11:01 PM
he needs to defeat guybrush to regain his ego

without his ego, lechuck would be a sissy like guybrush

Dark Clive
08-26-2004, 01:43 PM
I always thought LeChuck got his ego back because he killed Ozzy. Witjout Ozzy to order him around, LeChuck doesnt have a submissive attitude.

Joshi
08-28-2004, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by toenail1
he needs to defeat guybrush to regain his ego

without his ego, lechuck would be a sissy like guybrush
That's a Cache 22, without his ego, he has no incentive to defeat guybrush. dark Clive versions better.

r4f
09-02-2004, 08:35 AM
I think half of the monkey island 5 game should be with Murray!!!
I've got to laugh so much of that skull in CMI that I almost cried.
That skull is the funniest thing ever, and especially with Denny Delk laughing out MUUUHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Murray should have a major role in MI5. Definetely.

Return of Largo is also a must. There should be a spitting contest. More cool and funny insults. More monkeys. More cool background music.

And there should me a little add to the game so when you're stuck... Guybrush could for instance have a board of checkers in his inventory and play with someone. Or chess or whatever.
Cuz it can get pretty boring when you're stuck.

Why does Elaine always have to have a major role. Why is it always about her... Drop her... She can stay home and play with their new dog or whatever.... Well okay, she can have a little role, she is after all his wife...

More underground lava ghostships. More living skeletons. Maybe more grog?? Hmm...

:lechuck:

Lechucks fortress should be there. Maybe Guybrush should steal somethin from his fortress. I don't know... the possibilties are endless....

God Bless You all...

smokes o' pot
09-02-2004, 09:24 AM
Instead of releying on old characters how about having new ones. Originality, people.

Rapp Scallion
09-02-2004, 09:54 AM
A new Monkey Island needs to be original. That's the reason MI3 was so good. Some of the characters from the previous games were in there, but all the locations (with exception from the carnival (which we didn't really saw that much of)) were new. The game was a game that's standing on it's own feet. Original plot. Adding too much of the other games will only make it worse.

I think EMI did this. They added too much of the old stuff we already knew, and this, I think, had too large roles.

And Guybrush shall be his own master, but he married with Elaine. Point 1: Get her out of the way. Make LeChuck take over Guybrush's body (then he IS married to her), and send Guybrush to a dimension of eternal pain, and make him come back again and kick LeChuck's butt.

Cosmo Jones
09-12-2004, 11:56 AM
But will monkey island (the island itself, not the game) be the same without the giant monkey head? I guess Jojo could have brought it back, but that'd be stupid.

Joshi
09-12-2004, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by Cosmo Jones
But will monkey island (the island itself, not the game) be the same without the giant monkey head? I guess Jojo could have brought it back, but that'd be stupid.

Wouldn't be the same. Have MI5 start with Guybrush waking up on the shores of Monkey Island. The whole Herman=H.T. Marley and Monkey Robot thing was just a dream. The cutscene shows Guybrush not escaping MI, but instead, taking up residense in the abandoned cannible huts. If the whole last chapter of MI4 was just a dream, then you can easily disregard the monkey village, herman toothrot (who should now be on Dinky anyway), the church of LeChuck, complete with lava flume and that damn annoying talking monkey (damn dirty ape!). This is better as a lot of that was utter crap.

After spending a few weeks on MI contemplating escape from Monkey Island (yeah, I notice that this means the last game doesn't live up to it's name, but then neither did SOMI) a dead body washes up on shore. It's none other than Ozzy Mandrill, possibly the most anoying guy in the last game (and not in a good way, yes we're meant to hate the villian, but not that much, I still love LeChuck). Some kind of obvious thing about Ozzy (it has to be obvious, otherwise Guybrush won't get it) shows Guybrush that Elaine is in trouble (been kidnapped by LeChuck, this takes Elaine out fo the picture and gives Guybrush a nice motive) and so he has to get off the island (now there is more urgency).

Of course, I'm not saying this is the definitive adventure game or this is exactly what MI5 should be like, or it'll suck, it's just an idea (feel free to tweak it or add bits). What d'ya think?

r4f
09-13-2004, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by Joshi
Wouldn't be the same. Have MI5 start with Guybrush waking up on the shores of Monkey Island. The whole Herman=H.T. Marley and Monkey Robot thing was just a dream. The cutscene shows Guybrush not escaping MI, but instead, taking up residense in the abandoned cannible huts. If the whole last chapter of MI4 was just a dream, then you can easily disregard the monkey village, herman toothrot..

Of course, I'm not saying this is the definitive adventure game or this is exactly what MI5 should be like, or it'll suck, it's just an idea (feel free to tweak it or add bits). What d'ya think?

I totally agree.... It wouldn't be the same without the monkey island "island"... And I think it's a hilarious idea about the village and the cannibals, they should definetely have the cannibals back. Lemonhead was too cool!

Here's another idea... If Guybrush succeds escaping the village and the cannibals, murray comes in a ship loaded with monkeys to take over the island (and eventuelly the world as he always tries too)... hahaha, that would be hilarious!
I like the idea of Elaine being kidnapped... or maybe she should become hypnotized by LeChuck who uses some kinda funny voodoo thing to help him...
Anyway, it's just ideas, and I know there are people out there who have tons of ideas, so why can't lucasarts just pull themselves together and make another MI game...
Can't they think of ideas and stories and puzzles ?

Joshi
09-13-2004, 11:31 AM
no, they just don't think they'll make money out of it, and so don't bother.

jtsword
10-09-2004, 09:23 AM
how about they search the sunken wreck of lechucks old ship that sunk just off the brimstone beach.

tonytouch
10-09-2004, 04:00 PM
there has to be something completely "new" element in the story - in my point of view.

something about pirates , that nobody ever knew - until they found something in the sea. the secret , le revenge , the curse and escape - what next ?

what about the dog in the first part , after entering the "scum-bar" ... or this big fire at the beach. was it possible to go into the lightower . maybe there is something that guybrush was not looking at but everything (his complete life) would be different than his life today. guybrush is a star and has problems going into the public , everyone knows him - thinking about turning the time back to the beginning as he wants to be a pirate - breathing for ten minutes underwater. he is not wanting to have private sword-fight lessons at the pool with instructors anymore and "Stan- his lawyer", he is sick of him - years of living alone , only with a hand full of well paid private voodoo masters . he decides to turn back the time and finds himself in the deep sea on the ground . "he" is "turning" into his biggest enemy "le chuck" . the story is repeating - now he is realizing that it is himself , who is "le Chuck" .

sorry for my bad english (i am from germany) :) have a nice day...

Cap'n Bender
10-10-2004, 01:15 PM
they should have Guybrush carry around a feral chicken- you know, like Murray-- that tells him where to go and stuff, sorta like a portable voodoo-lady... but then again, maybe they shouldnt...

maybe Guybrush finds a passion for running a bar, opens a Scumm Bar equivalent, and then one day, a mysterious customer walks in (LeChuck in disguise- they found an absurd reason for him to still be alive) and then the adventure starts...

He goes to a new island by the name o' Crows Nest Island, where Lechuck's new fortress is, and along the way... he enters another spitting contest, loses, cheats, enters again, wins, ear4ns 3,00 peices o' eight (for no apparant reason. That's a bit much for just a lousy spittin' contest I owuld say.... Im in!) finds another equivalent to (in what is my opinion) the best and most hilarious scene in the game- the bone song! Guybrush meets Wally and.... picks up a feral chicken!:c3po: I know im adding a lot of the old stuff, but it incorporates new stuff too!:confused: or DOES it?

Cap'n Bender
10-10-2004, 01:29 PM
there could be one character that shouts out weird things like, "Bring me the dried monkey bonesess!" or, "I swears, on, the precious...monkey head!" or, "Look alive there matey, there's a storm brewin' up right above your 'ead!" on a perfectly CLEAR and Sunny day... or something...

tonytouch
10-15-2004, 03:43 AM
maybe LeChuck should not live in a fortress but in a tree - like in the second part - House (there he lives with his dog-ghost).

story:
LeChuck decided (after dYing so many deaths ) to become a regular citizen . As he is a ghost he is reading many books about humans and finds out that humans used to be monkeys some years ago . he gets to know many monkeys and lives in peace together with the citizens of his island . in the council office , they know LeChuck keep sending mails to the Governor , whether LeChuck is peaceful or not.

however in the end of the game everything comes different than anyone would expect . LeChuck is still "peaceful" (nobody expected) , but he switched minds with one of the monkeys he got to know via "voodoo" . he is organized in monkey-groups and from time to time goes to the ground of the big sea to look after his treasure . the Complete Monkey Madness breaks out . and they have no bananas on the island anymore ......

Cap'n Bender
10-15-2004, 10:22 AM
Hah! Now that wuold be hilarious! ...not to mention confusing, and outrageous to the monkey fans waiting for a game that follows the good old, "Guybrush kills lechuck and rescues elaine" formula. Personally, I owuld enjoy a game based on MY plot idea! Take that, ideological monkey lover!

tonytouch
10-28-2004, 01:37 PM
i guess MI 5 is already being tested by some "insider-fans" , i would love to play it in advance . but maybe , there is one idea inside my 2 threads which can be used for Monkey Island 6.

as i worked for a computer-game-seller in germany years ago - i sometimes got packages from California with lots of games inside.

so dont cheat on me !

edit: ++++

there where many cool games that time , but nowadays it is just dumb "killing each other games" and no real story . funny thing about MI is that there is a story , which seems to be absurd , but still people find out how to play. i learned a lot english when playing games like MI , DOTT , ZAK , and also the game with the Dog & the Bunny.

Cap'n Bender
10-28-2004, 08:31 PM
yeah. that would be awesome. oo awesome to describe with my duller-than-sword wit.
Perhaps, you could make your own little fan game and change names to Guycomb Seepbrush for Copyright issues, or you dont have to sell it and justkeep it the way it is.. after all, you worked for a video game company! You have to know SOMEthing about making video games!

Joshi
11-01-2004, 03:23 AM
Originally posted by tonytouch
as i worked for a computer-game-seller in germany years ago -

He probably only knows how to sell them. Plus, even if you didn't sell such a game, LucasLegal would still find a reason to sue, just as they did when they forced other free fan games off of the web because they kept the same names and so on.

Cap'n Bender
11-01-2004, 04:24 PM
woops.... didnt notice that seller stuck in there...wasnt really paying much attention..... Yes. LucasArts does like to sue a lot. Of course GEorge Lucas isnt rich enough already! He just needs more money!

Joshi
11-02-2004, 04:49 AM
I doubt Mr Lucas would have any involvement in the actual sueing process of such a small thing. Chances are, he wouldn't even know about it.

Alien426
11-02-2004, 05:56 AM
Originally posted by Cap'n Bender
Of course GEorge Lucas isnt rich enough already! He just needs more money!
Please think before posting such bullshít. At one point it looked like he'd have to sell LucasArts to be able to make Star Wars 1. These things cost money, you know?

It's not like he's having a giant money bin and takes a swim in it every day and there's money coming out of the showers and he uses banknotes to wipe off and then he eats lobster from a golden plate which is decorated with rubies and diamonds and he drings champagne from a platinum chalice and again uses banknotes as a napkin...

smokes o' pot
11-02-2004, 06:18 AM
He is pretty rich though. Assets wise.

Skinkie
11-02-2004, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by smokes o' pot
He is pretty rich though. Assets wise.

But he has no neck. That's the price of fame.

tonytouch
11-03-2004, 08:03 AM
He probably only knows how to sell them.

that is a very important aspect.

and you know .... sometimes people even called me when they had problems on solving the game. and i helped them . i guess that is important : helping each other.

:biggs:

Cap'n Bender
11-04-2004, 08:10 PM
if you'd like to get technical, I wasnt being sarcastic! He does need more money! Of course, to make more crappy star wars films! not that the originals are crappy... it all went downhill from #1