PDA

View Full Version : I, Robot

Darth Groovy
07-16-2004, 03:20 AM
Looks like the critics are digging it. I thought it would tank, but looks like I was wrong. Anybody thinking about seeing this? I am not quite sure yet.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/i_robot/

ET Warrior
07-16-2004, 03:26 AM
I'm going to watch it with an open mind, hopefully it'll be okay, Will Smith is a pretty decent action star.

The only thing that I dont like is that they seem to have shown us pretty much the entire movie in the previews....I wish they would have left some more to the imagination. :dozey:

Tyrion
07-16-2004, 03:38 AM
I dunno how much I'll like it, from the trailers it seems to butcher the entire point of the book. :dozey:

txa1265
07-16-2004, 04:48 AM
Originally posted by Tyrion
I dunno how much I'll like it, from the trailers it seems to butcher the entire point of the book. :dozey: I saw something that said that if you don't think about the source material you might be able to enjoy it - in other words, as said on AICN, think of it as iRobot, and not I, Robot.

The 'freshness' is dropping, but I think that people like it as much as they did is because - as stated in so many of the reviews - they expected it to absolutely *suck*, and it didn't, it was just a typical big-boom, Will Smith mugging and wise-cracking, mindless popcorn flick good to waste an afternoon.

Mike

Alegis
07-16-2004, 09:27 AM
http://i.somethingawful.com/inserts/articlepics/photoshop/07-02-04-faceoffs/caucASIAN.jpg

Seems to be better :)

Well hitting the theaters soon...if spidey 2 is full i'd check this one

Mike Windu
07-16-2004, 11:32 AM
Personally I thought it would be good, and I'm probably going to go see it before I head off to Florida.

Yoda_623
07-16-2004, 04:36 PM
I figured it would be a bust too. I've definitley seen it promoted enough though.

Troopr-Undr-Fir
07-16-2004, 07:28 PM
I'm swaying...

I love Will, but I I don't really like the premise for the movie :o

So, if I'm at sunset station, I might check it out...and also catch spidey 2, again :)

If ya know what I mean

Astrotoy7
07-17-2004, 11:30 AM
yeah, the wizard who came up with the title did no favours for the movie. I find the title off-putting, Until recently, I thought the Fresh Prince himself was the freakin robot.... :p (plz let me know if he is meant to be a robot too :( )

freakin robots, the only cool robots are :
*Original Lost in Space Robot
*Kryten from 'Red Dwarf'(UK sci fi sitcom)
*R2-d2 w00t !!!
*chick terminator from t3, only when nekked tho

mtfbwya

Taos
07-17-2004, 12:02 PM
For me it looks to be a rental at best. I've just never been a big Will Smith fan....*shrugs*

--ZeeMan--
07-17-2004, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Astrotoy7
*chick terminator from t3, only when nekked tho

mtfbwya

aye! :D

but i think i'll see it too, the previews looked interesting

IG-64
07-17-2004, 07:07 PM
Originally posted by Chase Windu
The only downside to the movie is that you have to see Will Smith

EEEEEWWW :xp:

Acrylic
07-17-2004, 07:12 PM
I'm surprised to hear that this movie got good ratings. It looks like it would turn out to be another men in black 2 (which sucked) but turned out to be a good movie. So, if this movie is better than men in black (which IMO is W.S.'s best role), then Ill be content.

legameboy
07-17-2004, 07:16 PM
I'm gonna see this movie soon with my cousin.

Thanks for the good review. :)

Icemaniax
07-17-2004, 07:17 PM
Will Smith's nekked @$$ has been deemed a must see by Chase.:thumbsup: :rhett:

ewwwwwwww

What?

anyways, I've seen some previews. It looks great I wanna see it =(

IG-64
07-17-2004, 07:24 PM
Well, my view of it was kinda dampened by the imense amount of advertising! Seriously, all i've seen is I, Robot all this month.

Went to the mall, all on the celing, hanging form the roof of the mall, I, Robot posters everywhere, AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Alegis
07-17-2004, 07:33 PM
they gave billions for advertising...Paris was full with it

obi
07-17-2004, 08:53 PM
I have no desire to see this movie. In fact, Will Smith is probably one of the worst actors ever. The only movie halfway decent was "bad boys."

I might see it when it hits the cheap theater, I dunno. I might see it against my will.

Mike Windu
07-17-2004, 10:19 PM
Yeah, I heard it was good. I'll review anchorman and I, Robot when I get back from vacation.

Chase you can handle all the reviews till then ^_^

Nice review though.

will smith's @$$

Would you have preferred Brad Pitt's @$$ in Troy? :)

coupes.
07-17-2004, 11:31 PM
I didn't hear a hole lot about this movie... I saw a short 'behind the scenes' kinda thing the other day, but that's about it.

I might just go see this one !

Alegis
07-18-2004, 12:09 AM
or neo's a$$. Whats with the damn asses, when we want to see nude we do NOT wish to see asses. You're making more hetero guys unhappy than gay people happy

Mike Windu
07-18-2004, 12:25 AM
Haven't seen Troy yet. I've had hardly any desire to see it. I don't support male nekkedness anywhere. I do think there should be more female nudity in movies though.:D :cool:

:¬:

If you say so. I'd prefer no nudity at all. Damned sexed up movies

>.>

<.<

*runs*

Darth Groovy
07-18-2004, 02:05 AM
WTF?

My thread (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=131898) not good enough? Where's the love?! :confused:

Mike Windu
07-18-2004, 02:07 AM
I don't like movies that just have nudity for no apparant reason.

It downgrades the movie.

Now, movies like American Pie however....:D

Anyways: I was wondering why Chase didn't just post in your thread. :) Poor Grooveh.

RpTheHotrod
07-18-2004, 02:21 AM
EXCELLENT FILM.

Minus the pointless nudity

Seriously though...interesting enough to keep you watching, suspense to keep you wondering, and a coolness factor that reminds you of

system shock 2

W00t!

ET Warrior
07-18-2004, 02:46 AM
Originally posted by Darth Groovy
WTF?

My thread (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=131898) not good enough? Where's the love?! :confused:

I thought I was looking at that same thread when I first came in, and then I was like...wait a tic....
<_<

>_>

People these days.

RpTheHotrod
07-18-2004, 02:54 AM
BTW guys...I've heard complaints about the title.....

and I did a lil snooping around and found this...

The Alan Parsons Project
I Robot

This album was originally released by Arista Records in 1977.

From the album notes:

I Robot...

The story of the rise of machine and the decline of man,

which paradoxically coincided with his discovery of the wheel...

And a warning that his brief dominance of this planet will

probably end, because man tried to create robot in his own image.

I Robot instrumental (6:02)

http://www.theavenueonline.info/site1/discog/i-robot.htm

Interesting?

coupes.
07-18-2004, 03:02 AM
APP is the roxorz ! :p

I might so see this one, hopefully the critics will have it right this time...

Troopr-Undr-Fir
07-18-2004, 09:16 PM
Mehbeh a special person suggested it?

But whateva...Don't judge a book by it's cover ;)

If ya know what I mean

Darth Groovy
07-19-2004, 03:29 PM
It is because the movie is based on a short story by Issac Assimov, which is also titled I, Robot . Google is your friend.

Anthony
07-20-2004, 10:10 AM
Read the damned book instead I say. The old one (like...1967 book or so... The REAL one)

Its much better, and the story line is not like the movie at all.

Read the book, yes.

toms
07-20-2004, 12:05 PM
yeh, the name is based on a song, right!
:rolleyes: sheesh:rolleyes: with this and the "games used to have actors in cutscenes???" thread i am starting to fdeel that the world has gone down the pan...:eek:

I'd assumed this would suck too (like everyone else by the sound of it). Alex proyas (?) might have been able to pull it off, as his other work wasn't bad.... but i assume it is quite good as "dumb, wisecracking summer action movies go" not quite good as highly intelligent and groundbreaking sci-fi movies go.

I don't understand why they named it after i, robot at all... it has nothing to do with it, the people who recognise the name only assume it will suck cos it isn't like the book, the people who don't recognise the name get no benefit.
All it has done is prove the shocking state of literacy in america...

WHy not just call is Bad Robo-hunter boyz and play to your audience...?:confused:

toms
07-20-2004, 12:12 PM
Critics appear to agree that I, Robot, starring Will Smith, is a serviceable summer film to accompany a large tub of popcorn, but little else. Philip Wuntch in the Dallas Morning News comments: "I, Robot is yet another summer entree in which good intentions are stymied by excessive bric-a-brac. But you'll still enjoy the robots on parade." Ty Burr in the Boston Globe remarks that Isaac Asimov's 1950 short story collection "has been remixed and remodeled into a stylish, watchable, very familiar future-cop action thriller. What was once original is now almost completely derivative." Joe Morgenstern in the Wall Street Journal remarks that the movie "is impressive for Patrick Tatopoulos's production design but depressive for the juiceless story." Carrie Rickey in the Philadelphia Inquirer similarly remarks: "While I enjoyed its look and Smith's charisma, [director Alex] Proyas' film is long on flash but short on resonance." Several critics suggest that the movie has a lot in common with the robots it depicts. Rick Groen in the Toronto Globe and Mail describes it as: "A movie of its kind and of its time -- functional, professional, slickly manufactured and slouching toward consciousness -- I, Robot is a perfect slave to mechanical convention." And A.O. Smith in the New York Times observes: "This kind of movie presents a troubling paradox, since it is an example of the very phenomenon it purports to warn against. Dramatizing the threat of runaway technology seems to demand ever greater technological innovation, as digitized special effects increasingly push human beings off screen."
from imdb

txa1265
07-20-2004, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by toms
I don't understand why they named it after i, robot at all... Actually it might be brilliant - because the initial interest is very high with people who like Asimov's stuff (like me) who see the trailers and think 'this is crap' and therefore the critical basis drops way down. Meantime, the average 'pop movie' viewer sees the trailers and thinks 'ooohhh, aaahhh' and then sees opinions of 'those clever readers' (*) and dismisses it as pseudointellectual rubbish by losers who read. Critics see it and think, hey, Asimov it isn't, but it isn't a bad ride, and give it decent scores.

And that, boys and girls, is how mediocre movies with low expectations score better than good movies with outrageous expectations.

Mike

(* anyone catch the Pooh Quote? ;) )

Sam Fisher
07-21-2004, 10:19 PM
I liked it, the robots.... coolness...

Yeah.

txa1265
07-21-2004, 11:01 PM
Synopsis:

Asimov: "Let's explore the moral complexities around
creating a self-aware machine intelligence in our own image, then treating it like a slave or second-class citizen."

Hollywood: "Let's make a film about the moral compl... just kidding! Let's make a film about WH3N R0B0TZ 4TT4CK!!!!!1!"

Other thoughts:
- Asimov didn't write about an 'evil computer', in fact there were no villians as such in the I, Robot stories.
- The movie plays like this was the process:
1. Write a sci-fi robots-run-amok script completely and totally unrelated
to anything Asimov ever wrote.
2. Acquire the rights to the Asimov library.
3. Drop a few details from the Asimov library into the previously-written,
totally unrelated script, change the title, and advertise it as being
based on a famous book.

Mike

toms
07-22-2004, 07:28 AM
the "lower expectations to get better reviews" theory is the only one that fits... eh watson?

Darth Groovy
07-24-2004, 10:35 PM
Just got back from seeing I, Robot, and it rox my sox! :D

Really was impressive, in fact parts of it were downright scary!

Stake Black
07-25-2004, 03:36 AM
Looks cool! Hey, hav you guys thought about making a skin of these robots?? :rolleyes:

Astrotoy7
07-25-2004, 10:08 AM
..... surely this movie cant be as cool and classy as Blade Runner, also featuring killer humanoid robots ... :p anyone remember that ?

*walks out like old fogey*

Sam Fisher
07-25-2004, 11:59 AM
Yeah, actually I wanted someone to make a skin/model of the NS-5s the first time I saw it ^^

Darth Groovy
07-26-2004, 03:46 AM
Originally posted by Astrotoy7
..... surely this movie cant be as cool and classy as Blade Runner, also featuring killer humanoid robots ... :p anyone remember that ?

*walks out like old fogey*

FINALLY, a movie we can agree on. Yes i've seen it, I own it, and I love it! Although these movies have somewhat similar concepts, neither movie can be considered a duplicate of the other.

Jed
07-26-2004, 04:27 AM
Originally posted by txa1265
Synopsis:

Asimov: "Let's explore the moral complexities around
creating a self-aware machine intelligence in our own image, then treating it like a slave or second-class citizen."

Hollywood: "Let's make a film about the moral compl... just kidding! Let's make a film about WH3N R0B0TZ 4TT4CK!!!!!1!"

Other thoughts:
- Asimov didn't write about an 'evil computer', in fact there were no villians as such in the I, Robot stories.
- The movie plays like this was the process:
1. Write a sci-fi robots-run-amok script completely and totally unrelated
to anything Asimov ever wrote.
2. Acquire the rights to the Asimov library.
3. Drop a few details from the Asimov library into the previously-written,
totally unrelated script, change the title, and advertise it as being
based on a famous book.

Mike

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Read the book, guys. I read it when I was in 6th grade, and then again in 9th, and I may read it again this summer. :cool:

CapNColostomy
07-26-2004, 04:50 AM
Originally posted by Jed
Read the book, guys.

**** NO!!!!

Make me.

Sam Fisher
07-26-2004, 10:18 AM
Hey! I've seen Blade Runner also, it was cool, but kinda strange in some parts.

And now Astro can't go out like an old fogey.

acdcfanbill
07-26-2004, 02:35 PM
wtf, dont even comparie this to blade runner :¬: firstly blade runner is much much much better, and secondly in blade runner, they are replicants, not robots.

Sam Fisher
07-26-2004, 02:38 PM
I wasn't comparing it... just saying that I've watched Blade Runner also...

Black Knight of Keno
07-26-2004, 05:13 PM
Originally posted by obi-wan13
I have no desire to see this movie. In fact, Will Smith is probably one of the worst actors ever. The only movie halfway decent was "bad boys."

I disagree...
<_<
>_>
Will Smith rules!

*Walks away*

obi
07-26-2004, 08:16 PM
Well, I seen it.....I must say, it was pretty good despite the fact Will Smith sucks.

txa1265
07-27-2004, 07:59 AM
I have no doubt that it was an enjoyable summer action popcorn flick, but I wonder ...

... what are the chances of a book-movie like "SlaughterHouse Five" or "Catch 22" ever getting made again ...

Mike

Black Knight of Keno
07-27-2004, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by obi-wan13
Will Smith sucks.

I disagree
<_<
>_>
Will Smith rules!

*Walks away again*

toms
07-27-2004, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by txa1265
I have no doubt that it was an enjoyable summer action popcorn flick, but I wonder ...

... what are the chances of a book-movie like "SlaughterHouse Five" or "Catch 22" ever getting made again ...

Mike

I think the odds of any "serious" movies that can't be boiled down into catchy trailers, witty one-liners and lots of cgi being made are fairly small at the moment. Imagine if they tried to make Blade Runner in the current climate.... 100s of cgi replicants on fighting barges off orion, etc... *sigh*

However, i can forsee that there MAY be a backlash agianst all these dumb matrix-clone comic book cgi & leather bullettime fest movies after a while. Ive already started to burn out on them, i expect others might too.
As more and more average and poor clones start to appear (van helsing, catwoman?) it is going to get a lot like the music industry with declining sales, and they are going to have to start making some alternative films for a while.

toms
08-12-2004, 06:53 AM
Well, since my time sitting on a beach in france has really disrupted my movie watching, i finally got to see this. :D

I thought it was pretty good. I definately enjoyed it a lot more than spidey 2 which i saw 2 days ago.

I wouldn't say it was an all time classic (doesn't compare with blade runner for example) but i'd say it was enjoyable and fairly intelligent and clever in places.

The film it really remoinded me of was minority report. (Both in the setting, the style and the plot pacing). I think that overall i probably prefered minority report, but the two are pretty close.

Will Smith was "ok". Not particularly amazing, but not too terrible and not too "will smith". Again, similar to Tom Cruise in MR. I thought the supporting girl and bad guy were pretty good, and i thought they did a pretty good job with Sonny... a stylish combination of an iPod, a Terminator and an innocent child.

Although i liked the plot, i did think that
(a) it was fairly obvious what was going to happen all along, with all the plot twists being a bit too well signed.
(b) It all seemed VERY familiar. I can't quite figure out where i have seen/read it all before, but i'm sure i have somewhere.

The main problems i had with the film were the music (which seemed a bit overdone and intrusive at times) and the action scenes.
The film wasn't really an action film, and the action scenes kind of felt out of place... like they had shoehorned them in just to get the teen boy audience or something. They also weren't particularly good action scenes (not that involving, lacking in punch, WAY too much BULLETTIME). Somehow, when cgi guys are hitting cgi guys there seems to be no weight in it, it is like watching someone play teken (interesting, but not really involving or heart pounding).

But anyway, it wasn't really an action film, so the flaws in the action scenes didn't really hurt it. Overall it was pretty enjoyable and i'd give it a 7.5 or 8 out of 10.