PDA

View Full Version : Damn you Bungie!

Doomie
07-22-2004, 11:15 AM
I don't know if there's already a thread about it, and i'm probably not the first to have read this, but okay. I have recently aquired Halo for pc, and that has gotten me interested in Halo 2. So i went over to Bungie.net, read a lot of cool stuff, including: 'Halo 2 is currently only being developed for Xbox.' That's so mean! When the first Halo came out, they had a hard time deciding wether or not to develop a pc version, and eventually they did, buying them more money. And now they're not gonna give us the sequel...

... This is one of microsofts filthy tricks to get people to buy those damn Xboxes right?

txa1265
07-22-2004, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by Doomgiver
When the first Halo came out, they had a hard time deciding wether or not to develop a pc version, and eventually they did Look at it this way - Bungie was, at one time, basically a Mac game shop. They made some great games - the Marathon series are absolutely classics in the shooter genre.

Originally Halo was being developed by Bungie as a Mac game, then Microsoft bought them out, and things went into limbo, then the XBox development came, and Halo became a XBox launch title. And the Mac was the *last* platform to get what was supposed to be there *first*.

As I mentioned elsewhere, recent reports show that the PC games market is shrinking while the rest of the games market expands, meaning that the PC will get more and more marginalized. It is an easy and common thing here at LFN to laugh at the Mac and Mac gamers, but beware ... console gamers are doing the same thing to PC gamers more and more often ...

Mike

Doomie
07-22-2004, 11:51 AM
I know, and it makes me sad... :( <- see? It's just unfair. There's no logic in it...

EDIT: I mean, look at shooters, and RTS games. And flight sims and such. And look how hard they are to play with controllers like the Xbox's. I am NOT going to buy a console just because they stop making games for pc. I'm going to boycot them! Who's with me?

ckcsaber
07-22-2004, 12:03 PM
I'm fairly sure it will come out on PC.

Just give it about 2 1/2 years, like the original.

Doomie
07-22-2004, 12:06 PM
That's also true... but there are more examples of sequels not appearing on the platforms on wich the original did. Just loook around Lucaarts.com, on the games page. Especially the classics.

ckcsaber
07-22-2004, 12:12 PM
Meh, what will be, will be.

There is a good chance a third party will pick it up and make it for PC. Halo's a big name game, and will bring in money.

Sabretooth
07-22-2004, 12:39 PM
I thought this was a thread on how deers perform bungee jumping and get killed...

*goes away*

ET Warrior
07-22-2004, 12:40 PM
EDIT: I mean, look at shooters, and RTS games. And flight sims and such. And look how hard they are to play with controllers like the Xbox's. I am NOT going to buy a console just because they stop making games for pc. I'm going to boycot them! Who's with me?

If you've ever played Crimson skies, Halo, or any such games on the box, you'd know that they're actually really easy to pick up, and quite enjoyable. I have played Halo on Xbox and PC, and I can't do it on PC, it's just so natural and....right feeling on the Xbox.

I consider myself lucky, I'm open enough to play games on Consoles AND PC :p

Doomie
07-22-2004, 12:40 PM
Thank you, Ckc, for returning hope into my heart...

... Like i said, there's no logical reason not to make it for PC, but then i saw it negative and now i see it positive...

EDIT: @ ET, yes i have played Halo on Xbox, and i must say that i'm totally lost without a mouse. I mean, c'mon, you try sniping a moving target with two control sticks! then try again wiht a mouse, and then you will succeed...

Kain
07-22-2004, 01:28 PM
ET, yes i have played Halo on Xbox, and i must say that i'm totally lost without a mouse. I mean, c'mon, you try sniping a moving target with two control sticks! then try again wiht a mouse, and then you will succeed...

I got that going on too...cept the otherway around. I find the 2 control sticks easier, it was a tad difficult to get used to at first, now I own EVERYBODY. Seriously, I was playing a 2 on 1 game against my cousin and my brother(I was the one) in a game of CTF. I scored 4 points before the got pissed at started using the ole' 'Cloak and Rocket Launcher' tactic. Loosers.

Expand your Imagi-Nation

ET Warrior
07-22-2004, 01:53 PM
Originally posted by Kain
I got that going on too...cept the otherway around. I find the 2 control sticks easier, it was a tad difficult to get used to at first, now I own EVERYBODY.

Same here, it's so much easier for me to be precise with those control sticks, the mouse seems so unweildly and innacurate. :dozey:

Tyrion
07-22-2004, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by ET Warrior
Same here, it's so much easier for me to be precise with those control sticks, the mouse seems so unweildly and innacurate. :dozey:

Funny, I played against a few of my friends in Xbox Halo. 'tis sucked with the joystick, how can you guys aim with it?

Doomie
07-22-2004, 02:41 PM
Bet you guys have shaky hands and mouse sensitivity set to max, or otherwise you must've been born with controllers in your hands and practiced with them ever since, i see no other way how you can be preciser with a controlstick...

Anyway, i'll continue being totally disturbed by the Starwars kid/ninja retard... this keeps getting weirder and weirder...

Curt-Man
07-22-2004, 02:46 PM
ive played halo both on xbox and pc, and i love it on both, but on xbox is so much easier, the control sitcks are easier to move around wiht then keyboard and mouse, everything just seems easier with the controllers.

Doomie
07-22-2004, 02:55 PM
hmmm... Guess that's a matter of taste, then...

ckcsaber
07-22-2004, 03:04 PM
Bah, we got some crazies in here.

I mean, I got used to the x-box controller and all, and practically mastered it, but playing ANY FPS with a mouse takes it to another level.

You can't become a master sniper with the controller. You need a mouse.

I'm talking about, stand still for a quarter of a second = HEADSHOT sniping.

I'm talking about sniping a guy almost completely on the other side of the map running across the field sniping. And don't forget about Internet lag, which requires you to "lead" your targets.

I'm talking' about following a sniper shot from the other side of the map, back to the sniper, while 2 fully-loaded hogs circle your base, and then Anti-Sniping the hidden sniper.

I'm talking' about hiding behind a buttress on the roof of your blood-gulch base, jumping above it, pick a target, fire off 2 shots and kill him, and landing to the ground sniping.

You can't do that **** with a controller, I'll tell you that.

Doomie
07-22-2004, 03:13 PM
Yeah, playing unreal tournament, there was this map with two sniper towers, and it went like: 'headshot, headshot, hea-headhsot, killing spree' all the way up untill 'monsterkill' five times in a row... Now, the AI wasn't that good in the original UT but i'd like to see someone do something similar with two control sticks instead of a mouse...

... Now, i'm not kidding you, i was actually that good of a sniper... untill UT2003, where everybody got much smaller heads, moved around more quicker, and headshots weren't instant kills...

ET Warrior
07-22-2004, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by ckcsaber
Lots of stuff about his 1337 sniper skillz.

:o Been there, done that, you have no idea how good of a shot I once was with a sniper rifle. And I've played against guys who were so good, it was the only weapon they needed. They were more deadly from close range with a sniper rifle than you probably are witha shotgun, and long range they'd drop 3-4 players with every clip.

It is le EASAY to shoot like that with a controller, you just need talented thumbs I suppose. :dozey:

Doomie
07-22-2004, 04:29 PM
But it's even easier with a mouse.

EDIT: And my sniperskillz R 1337-er, cause back then in that level i already mentioned, i made a headshot every half-a-second. Only once did i need two bullets to kill somebody (second was a headshot though) and also only once i completely missed.

ckcsaber
07-22-2004, 04:50 PM
Oh, my thumbs are gifted, but they are nothing compared to the precision of the mouse.

TiE23
07-22-2004, 05:21 PM
Gee, well. Sniping is easier on the mouse, but it becomes hard when your frame rate is only 15, and when you are about to pull the trigger, your frame rate drops and your comp pauses, one second latter, the frame rate picks up again and you end up missing. even though your computer cost you $1500.

Halo 2 is like Doom 3 is graphics. If you get Doom 3 next month its will run at 15 fps on the lowest settings.

And Doomgiver, about UT, I totally agree with you, I used to kill as many people as you, until they made UT 2003 seem like it was meant for people with hyper sense.

But anyway, If you really want it, get the Xbox. Hell, get a used one for like $120!

*downloads UT Demo*Linky (http://www.3dgamers.com/dl/games/unrealtourn/utdemo348.exe.html)

TiE

Doomie
07-22-2004, 05:28 PM
I won't get an Xbox, just because i mainly play shooters, and i simply do not possess the skill to do so on a console. I'll die a hundred times because i'm walking in circles, shooting at my own feet. It actually happened when i was playng Halo on Xbox...

acdcfanbill
07-22-2004, 06:00 PM
hahaha, you guys hand right onto your controllers, and i'll shoot circles around you with a keyboard and mouse. i will never ever ever ever ever be convinced a fps/shooter is better on console. consoles should have console/platformer games.

RoxStar
07-22-2004, 10:36 PM
So? The Xbox folks have waited a long time for Halo 2. The PC Gamers have waited about a year.

Tyrion
07-22-2004, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by RoxStar
So? The Xbox folks have waited a long time for Halo 2. The PC Gamers have waited about a year.

:confused:

We waited for Halo while you were waiting for Halo 2. We'll be waiting for Halo 2 while you're playing it.

RoxStar
07-22-2004, 11:47 PM
Actaull Ty, I'm both.

But I meant that they had been addicted to halo longer than the PC Players so they were waitin gfor the sequel longer. Oh well nevermind. I heard tha Gearbox was gonna do Halo 2 for xbox and add some cool(er) features with the PC version than in Xbox.

Darth Groovy
07-23-2004, 12:24 AM
*cuddles his XBOX*

HEHE! :p

*goes to reserve a copy of Halo2*

Captain Wilson
07-23-2004, 12:28 AM
*Hugs all his precious consels*

There mine. Anoaloge just sems right for most games tho...

Or dpad if were going back

Or joystick

Or the hoop

ET Warrior
07-23-2004, 01:49 AM
Originally posted by Darth Groovy
*goes to reserve a copy of Halo2*

I've had my copy reserved for over a year now :p

TiE23
07-23-2004, 02:00 AM
WEEE!!!! :D

http://img40.photobucket.com/albums/v123/Tie23/asdadaaaa.jpg

Limited Edition Halo 2 with FREE strategy guide

TiE

Kain
07-23-2004, 03:22 AM
Originally posted by TiE 23

TiE

What kind of wuss needs a strategy guide?!

Hehe...wuss.

Expand your Imagi-Nation

Alegis
07-23-2004, 04:47 AM
It's free. Free stuff=grab! besides for MP it mostly has plans for all maps

Sabretooth
07-23-2004, 05:58 AM
and headshots weren't instant kills...

Dude, you okay?

I'm with Xbox as the original game was for Xbox and then it was ported to PC after a long time. I would be thankful that Microsoft ported the game to PC, or this woulda never happened.

Give some time, if the game is good, MS will surely put it to PC. We wouldn't like a DX2 disaster, would we?

Darth Rythe
07-23-2004, 06:37 AM
I don't know if there's already a thread about it, and i'm probably not the first to have read this, but okay. I have recently aquired Halo for pc, and that has gotten me interested in Halo 2. So i went over to Bungie.net, read a lot of cool stuff, including: 'Halo 2 is currently only being developed for Xbox.' That's so mean! When the first Halo came out, they had a hard time deciding wether or not to develop a pc version, and eventually they did, buying them more money. And now they're not gonna give us the sequel...

... This is one of microsofts filthy tricks to get people to buy those damn Xboxes right?

Have you ever heard of an X-box emulator?

Sabretooth
07-23-2004, 06:52 AM
Shush! The rules say no talking about warez and stuff and illegal things. Besides, Doom doesn't like indulging in illegal stuff, a PM had revealed.

Ooops

Doomie
07-23-2004, 07:58 AM
Wel, not too mcuh anyway.

double oops.

toms
07-23-2004, 08:54 AM
well, if they do bring it out on the pc i hope they do a better job than they did with the first one... i waited for ages to finally get halo on the PC and it was a terribly unoptimised port that was nowhere near as good as the xbox one. I took one look at the reviews and benchmarks and decided to get an xbox.
hmm....

Doomie
07-23-2004, 09:05 AM
I'd like to hear more details about that. The version i just finished wasn't a bad console port at all...

Sam Fisher
07-23-2004, 10:47 AM
The only problem I had with the PC Halo, was that it constantly had REALLY crappy FPS, and was always laggin because of it.

Otherwise, it was cool!

Doomie
07-23-2004, 11:35 AM
pffff... i've never lagged on Halo, exept for when the host had a crappy connection. So it's all a matter of... er... whatever....

Darth Groovy
07-23-2004, 11:19 PM

TiE

Screw Gamestop. I reserved a copy of Jedi Academy, and they lost my the copy of my reservation, so I wound up paying full price for it, PLUS the reserve money. (yeah I lost my receipt, but **** happens)

Guardian Omega
07-25-2004, 01:58 AM
...............You people never disabled mouse acceleration haven't you? It improves aim a lot after you get used to it.

I can't imagine playing a high-speed shooter on a controller, most notably Half-Life with the old school physics engine.

Speaking of which, I prefer the original controller for the Xbox......

Sam Fisher
07-25-2004, 11:52 AM
No, I mean that the game had really bad frames per sec, no a bad connection ;)

Doomie
07-25-2004, 01:37 PM
Well, in your case maybe... Does your pc suck, perhaps? Cause it runs A-okay on mine...

RoxStar
07-25-2004, 03:04 PM
The official servers never lag.

Doomie
07-25-2004, 03:08 PM
Almost none does, except for Sam here... It's a mystery, but it seems to be so.

Alright, there are pretty much, but mostly, when i join a server with 16 players, it runs just fine...

Sam Fisher
07-25-2004, 03:40 PM
No, my PC definitly does not suck.

AIW Radeon 9700 Pro
256mb
AMD Athlon +2200

Stuff like that :wavey:

legameboy
07-25-2004, 03:57 PM
If you had more RAM you're computer would be pretty good, Sam. :)

I'm so glad I got a job this summer, I'm going to upgrade my GeForce 4 Ti4200 to an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro in August. :D

I might even upgrade my harddrive from 40 GB to 80 GB.

Doomie
07-25-2004, 04:00 PM
hmmm... alright, let's turn it into a more interesting topic, shall we? WE were talking about Halo two, so: Shall we continue about Halo 2 features and stuff, Halo and Marathon comparisons, or Further Halo plot speculation? Or something else? I vote for plot speculation...

Tyrion
07-25-2004, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by Sam Fisher
AIW Radeon 9700 Pro
256mb
AMD Athlon +2200

Woah, your computer will suck in any game if you only have 256mb of ram. 512mb of ram is minimum to run newer games.

TiE23
07-25-2004, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Tyrion
Woah, your computer will suck in any game if you only have 256mb of ram. 512mb of ram is minimum to run newer games. Uh-hum.

---nVidia Limited Edition 256mb Over-Clocked 5700 videocard
---1 gig of RAM
---3.2 Pentium 4 CPU
---240 gig hard-drive (120gb x2)
---Flat Screen
---Sound Card, I don't know what it is.
---Seven Fans
Inside Picture (http://img40.photobucket.com/albums/v123/Tie23/PICT0011.jpg) :D
Im getting this next month, but I will be able to use it in two weeks :)

Comp I have now:
---nVidia 128mb 5200 Videocard
---512mb of RAM
---1.8 Pentium 4 CPU
---80gb and 40gb hard-drives
---17" Monitor
---Imbedded Motherboard Sound Card.
---Three Fans

TiE

Sam Fisher
07-25-2004, 05:12 PM
Yes, I know I need more RAM, but dad will not let me buy any O,o

Tyrion
07-25-2004, 05:28 PM
Uh-hum.

---nVidia Limited Edition 256mb Over-Clocked 5700 videocard
---1 gig of RAM
---3.2 Pentium 4 CPU
---240 gig hard-drive (120gb x2)
---Flat Screen
---Sound Card, I don't know what it is.
---Seven Fans
Inside Picture (http://img40.photobucket.com/albums/v123/Tie23/PICT0011.jpg) :D
Im getting this next month, but I will be able to use it in two weeks :)

Change the 5700 to either an Ati 9800 Pro(200 dollars) or a Nvidia 6800(300).

The 6800 is better than the 9800 Pro, but the 9800 Pro is much cheaper.

Yes, I know I need more RAM, but dad will not let me buy any O,o

o.O

Why won't he?

TiE23
07-25-2004, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by Tyrion
Change the 5700 to either an Ati 9800 Pro(200 dollars) or a Nvidia 6800(300).

The 6800 is better than the 9800 Pro, but the 9800 Pro is much cheaper.

o.O

Why won't he? My dad built the computer as a suprise. He didn't ask me what I would recommend, he got the videocard cause it had 256mb of memory :-\
Atleast its a lot better than the one I have now :D

TiE

Doomie
07-26-2004, 06:20 AM
Is there anyone that ever listens to me?

Sam Fisher
07-26-2004, 10:22 AM
He's selfish about the computers in the house.

toms
07-27-2004, 10:38 AM
Almost none does, except for Sam here... It's a mystery, but it seems to be so.

Alright, there are pretty much, but mostly, when i join a server with 16 players, it runs just fine...

actually, teh pc version is universally accepted to have really crappy framerates. At leat in comparisson to other fps games like UT2004, far cry, etc...

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1552193,00.asp