07-27-2004, 04:28 AM
Post your combat stories here

DMUK

saberhagen
07-28-2004, 05:49 AM
I lost. Again.

pbguy1211
07-28-2004, 11:30 AM
yeah, but the first game ended up being 1v3 once nitro had to leave.

phreak wasn't much help (no offense phreak ;) )

as far as the second game? well i just kicked butt! :p

DarthMaulUK
07-28-2004, 04:46 PM
we all get lucky :p

My second game... well... *hangs head in shame*

DMUK

swphreak
08-01-2004, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by pbguy1211
yeah, but the first game ended up being 1v3 once nitro had to leave.

phreak wasn't much help (no offense phreak ;) )

as far as the second game? well i just kicked butt! :p

Duh :p

But hey, I was giving saber plenty of resources, and I totally suprised you with my Destroyer Droid ambush which was awesome :p

Admiral Vostok
08-02-2004, 07:37 PM
Sunday, August 1.

Well we had some fun games today. Unfortunately due to computer troubles DMUK kept dropping out, making the games very one-sided without his presence.

The first game saw myself (giving Rebels a go since pbguy was absent), DMUK (Republic) and DK_Viceroy (Confederacy) on one team, with saberhagen (Wookiees) and General Nitro (Empire) on the other.

The game started slowly, with little action. Saber made a strike rush on DMUK, but it was soon halted. Then, DMUK executed one of his trademark pummel drops on Nitro, while Viceroy and me assaulted the front of his base. With saber's help we were held off, and we regrouped. Then, we went right in again. I was using the fabulous Rebel Mounties in addition to my huge air horde, and Nitro's base was soon eliminated.

Then we turned our attentions towards saber. He held out for quite a while, but when Viceroy marched his Mounted Troopers in alongside mine, saber didn't stand much of a chance. The three of us combined our forces and wiped out saber.

Nitro had managed to survive though, and the final moments of the game were taken up flying to the four corners of the map to destroy his utility trawlers.

Read the story of the next game in my next post...

General Nitro
08-02-2004, 07:40 PM
So many mounties. So many, so mounted. I must admit, I was totally owned in that game. Note to self: build army...

Admiral Vostok
08-02-2004, 08:15 PM
The second game saw DMUK and saberhagen on one team and myself, Viceroy and Nitro on the other. I had switched back to my beloved Naboo, while DMUK had taken up the Empire, but everyone else had the same civ as last game.

There was a bit more early game action this time. In particular I'd like to point out saber's tactic of building a wall of prefab shelters around a holocron: it was good bait for my Padawan, who promptly got killed.

Viceroy got hit pretty hard by one of saber's strike rushes, I managed to chase him off with the few fighters and bombers I had. I little later, saber executed some good fighter raids on all three of us, mine all the worse because DMUK hit me with a strike rush at the same time. It was at this point that DMUK disconnected: an on going event that really defined our games today :D.

With DMUK gone, saber looked to be in a bit of trouble, but he had established a pretty strong forward base near Viceroy, and kept hammering away at him, while still continuing to mount air strikes against me and Nitro. I'd had only just started to mass my aircraft; my numbers of fighters and bombers were half what they usually are but I felt confident enough to take out the forward base and free Viceroy up a bit. Saber had by this time established a second forward base complete with shield and fortress.

Well, my relatively modest group of bombers and fighters wiped out his first forward base so quickly I could scarcely believe it. The bombers went through his buildings like a hot knife through butter. I decided to turn what had originally been just a strike on the first forward base into a strike on the second one two. Pretty soon I had saber's shield down and was eating away at his fortress. He must have been horribly dismayed at the speed with which all this had happened, because he promptly resigned.

I'll write the third battle report later, stay tuned...

Admiral Vostok
08-02-2004, 10:48 PM
After a couple more attempts to get a game where DMUK wasn't disconnected instantly, we began our third game. We were joined by Connemara this time. Saber (Wookiees), DMUK (Rebels) and Connemara (Rebels) were on one team while Viceroy (Confederacy), Nitro (Empire) and me (Naboo) were on the other.

This time, saber didn't waste any time and not long into the game he rushed me. I was not prepared properly at all, and his Troopers and Mounties caused me a lot of hurt. Viceroy and Nitro came to my rescue, but a second mounty rush brought down my command centre and I was forced to fall back to establish a new base elsewhere.

At about this time DMUK disconnected again. He was not happy at all. Saber could have easily finished me off and evened the odds, but he had just suffered a pummel drop from Nitro, who has become a big fan of them after suffering one from DMUK. I think Nitro's attack caused saber to withdraw a bit and concentrate on building a huge army.

Meanwhile my tattered base was suffering small air attacks from Connemara. I had just managed to crawl back and build myself an Airbase, to start fending her off. At the same time, Nitro executed his second pummel drop into Connemara's base, again drawing attention away from me.

Saber was still for the most part sitting back in his base massing an army, while continued pummel drops from Nitro sent Connemara reeling until she eventually resigned.

Saber was again in a 3v1 situation... he really should have finished me off. By now I was back to strength and amassing my usual air force. Viceroy's army was pretty huge, and Nitro had provided some assault mechs as well as his continued pummel dropping. We stormed Saber's base and eventually whittled him down yet again.

Hopefully next week the battles are a little less one-sided, and hopefully DMUK will disconnect less often.

General Nitro
08-02-2004, 10:52 PM
Thank you Vostok for watching those and giving us a detailed report. By the way, I love pummels.

DK_Viceroy
08-03-2004, 04:57 AM
and I think Saberhagen loved how the Troopers flowed to his base like water in a never ending river.

DarthMaulUK
08-03-2004, 05:19 AM
Indeed, good coverage!
I was screaming like a girl after the last disconnect because I liked that Motherlode and was just getting comfortable with my base.

The Pummel drops are much fun, because they just come out of no where and can really do some serious damage. Once Im back, I have something new to unleash on everyone - a stable game! haha.

I just cant wait to get a new PC. I dont really need one, i just need an operating system that doesnt say Microsoft on the box!
One of their last 'updates' has created so many problems with my games but as yet I cant put my finger on it.

I wont be there for the next game as Im moving (again) and it will take around 2 weeks for my broadband to be transferred over.

DMUK

DK_Viceroy
08-03-2004, 05:26 AM
well i dunno Saberhagen was on his way to devloping a counter.

I was watching each of them in between saving vostok and amassing the Steamroler horde and of course levelling your old base. clever move putting troops next to resources in case you disconnected

DarthMaulUK
08-03-2004, 06:28 AM
My last major pummel drop had pbguy in fits of laughter when we played the week before.

Roll on the next one!

DMUK

DK_Viceroy
08-03-2004, 06:46 AM
In a way i hope vostok and co don't get their way because that would mean the end of pummel drops forever

DarthMaulUK
08-03-2004, 06:49 AM
hehe. there will always be something else to replace them. For now though, they are much fun and extremely deadly!

DMUK

Admiral Vostok
08-03-2004, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by DK_Viceroy
In a way i hope vostok and co don't get their way because that would mean the end of pummel drops forever Well you can't expect to keep using the same tactics when a new game comes around.

Until then, roll on, pummel drops!

DK_Viceroy
08-03-2004, 11:10 AM
the first bit was sacrcasm because in case you remeber our games i despise the tactic it was a subtle hint

but i forgot the only subtlty round here is if yu go on a rampage with a two ton sledgehammer.

Admiral Vostok
08-03-2004, 11:17 AM
Oh, sorry. I guess you didn't make your dislike of the tactic well known enough. I certainly knew you feared it, but not that you "despised" it.

DK_Viceroy
08-03-2004, 11:27 AM
I do not fear it I hate it because i know what it can do it's horribly effective But i do not fear it i Hate it because it can distract you at a critical moment because if saberhagen had done one on my when he was attacking you i would have used those forces to take out the pummels not save your butt.

Admiral Vostok
08-03-2004, 12:05 PM
Hey, no need to get annoyed. I just misinterpreted your feelings towards it.

General Nitro
08-03-2004, 12:21 PM
DMUK- Have you tried using system restore? If you rember the general timeframe at which you updated, system restore should do the trick.

DK_Viceroy
08-03-2004, 12:53 PM
I wasn't annoyed

Admiral Vostok
08-03-2004, 12:56 PM
Good :)

So who will be in attendence next week? DMUK has said he won't, anyone else not going to be able to make it?

saberhagen
08-03-2004, 02:45 PM
I know I should've finished Vostok in that 3rd game, and when DMUK dropped I announced that that was what I was going to do! Viceroy sent in enough troopers to save him though. For some reason I thought Connemara had dropped when she hadn't, so I didn't do enough to protect her. I sent some mounties across eventually when I saw her get pummel dropped one time, but it was probaly too little too late.

I've really started to change my strats to take account of holocrons, knowing how important they are to Vostok. It takes quite an effort to even notice them, as most of the time when I was playing on the zone I thought they were of no importance. But al that's changed now: it was quite satisfying to see that padawan get shot down as he tried to hack his way through a house wall!

I think I trooper rushed Viceroy in the 2nd game, and it seemed to be going quite well even though I was a bit slow. DMUK dropping changed everything though (not that I mind, the games were still fun).

DK_Viceroy
08-03-2004, 03:46 PM
Saberhagen do you think I sent a Large enough army To level your base?

Vostok really did get you back later on if it wasn't for his bomber strike you may have recovered but he broke the back of your defence.

That trooper rush was really close but that wasn't going to last for long i'm sure you saw my devloping second base.

Admiral Vostok
08-03-2004, 03:58 PM
Sure the games were fun, but you must be hankering for a victory next week, saber!

On another note, DMUK do you want the recorded games? What should I do with them?

DarthMaulUK
08-03-2004, 04:51 PM
Yeah. zip the games up and post them

Oh Saber... No holocrons = no nova = no mass Naboo bomber raids! hehe

I cant really remember which update has changed things. I think it could be Service pack 1. Each and every time i re-install it, it changes something.

Once ive moved, im reformatting AGAIN and wont be installing service pack 1. PC runs fine without it.

DMUK

Admiral Vostok
08-03-2004, 08:44 PM
Oh Saber... No holocrons = no nova = no mass Naboo bomber raids! heheAu contraire! In our third game I didn't manage to get any holocrons, and even with saber's devastating rush that crippled me, I managed to climb back and amass a good amount of bombers all the same. The holocrons help a lot, but lack of them certainly doesn't deny me from building as many as I do! It just means I have to do a bit more juggling of the other resources.

General Nitro
08-03-2004, 10:21 PM
i managed to get my hands on all five holocrons by the end of the game:D

Admiral Vostok
08-03-2004, 11:14 PM
Yes, I noticed your Apprentices running around on a few occaisions.

DarthMaulUK
08-04-2004, 03:52 AM
hehe was funny. I tried as well but failed to get many.

Its a shame i wont be here for next Sunday as I am moving but i could also miss the next one because it takes forever to get broadband installed here... 8 days from the day my phone line gets installed. :-(

At least I will have the new GB.com finished and ready to be uploaded!

DMUK

DK_Viceroy
08-04-2004, 05:17 AM
WIth a litle help from me to get back on your feet. i'd heard tales about your devasting bombing runs but it's something to see them in action.

Admiral Vostok
08-04-2004, 10:52 AM
Yes that's true. I certainly wouldn't have got back on my feet (wings?) if Viceroy hadn't sent an entire legion of his finest troops into my base.

DK_Viceroy
08-04-2004, 11:01 AM
Before you could fly you needed to get off the ground and back to standing up then you could take off on wings of victory

DarthMaulUK
08-06-2004, 03:48 AM
Its great though. We are pretty lucky to get balanced teams (when i dont drop) which just adds to the fun and of course, we all have our trade marks to look out for and its a rush to build a counter/or prepare a counter for it.

DMUK
(thank god for internet cafes)

DK_Viceroy
08-06-2004, 05:38 AM
Yeah that makes it all thge more challenging when you know what they're gonna build and trying to counter that while playing true to your own style. Though it is kinda hard to know who's holding back and who's hiding some of their strategies

General Nitro
08-06-2004, 06:13 PM
Ah, yes. We all know I has holding back 90%. lol.

DK_Viceroy
08-07-2004, 06:19 AM
yeah you did kinda hold back but your pummel drps were very useful though in future don't waste your moey on pure assault mechs they're never really worth it. especially since Troopers are cheaper and easier to produce and just so addaptable

General Nitro
08-07-2004, 09:50 AM
Although I was in cruise control being lazy that game, I was being sarcastic with the 90% of my ability thing.

DK_Viceroy
08-07-2004, 09:52 AM
i thought you were reffering to you weren't using 90% of your resources or populatin to fight or your ability to fight in that match. It certainly was an epic battle looking forward to the next ones. Hope nobody drops this time however 1 sided battles kinda start to get a little predicatble but still fun

everyone loves a win right

Admiral Vostok
08-07-2004, 02:58 PM
Yes indeed, I think Saberhagen deserves a win once in a while :p

DK_Viceroy
08-07-2004, 03:16 PM
I take it then Saberhagen always ends up on a time of droppers?

Admiral Vostok
08-07-2004, 03:48 PM
No, we haven't really had any dropping out until DMUK's performance the other day. It's just the odds are usually stacked against Saberhagen, and back when it was just me, him and pbguy, those two would duke it out mostly then I would usually attack saberhagen first because I used to see him as the bigger threat than pbguy. I think if we were to do another free-for-all with just us three, I'd go for pbguy first because he's got too many wins under his belt now.

Certainly the fact I've been on more winning teams than Saber indicates something is askew...

DK_Viceroy
08-07-2004, 03:51 PM
Well we can't all Be wondeful Succesful and Perfect:D

Admiral Vostok
08-09-2004, 05:16 PM
Great games today. Unfortunately I'm exhausted so I'll write the batreps tomorrow. :D

General Nitro
08-10-2004, 06:40 PM
Need help with the battle report?

pbguy1211
08-10-2004, 08:53 PM
No. We don't need to get into that frustrating-ass 1v3 game that I ended up getting smoked in...

I sent troops at saber and we fight. no big deal. I send more, we fight. no big deal.
The next wave i send, run into DK_Viceroy's troops... we fight. no big deal.
The NEXT wave i sent run into Vostok's stupid air... So after all these skirmishes I have no nova, low carbon and slow overall process. so what happens next? I ate a massive 1v3 from all 3 of them with ZERO help from my great team. I would have even been in it if it was 1v2. But Vostok's air whoring (and surprise navy) are what made it useless for me to continue.
I saw saber and DKs units and was preparing for a battle, but when friggin vostok came out of the blue I knew I was done for.
The plan was to take out those AA troops with ACs I was making and then use air speeders on the mechs. 1 AC worked, but my other fort got obliterated by the navy in a hurry and took out my speeder center with it. once the other air moved in i was done.

But revenge was mine in the 1v1v1 where I smoted saber and vostok! :p

General Nitro
08-10-2004, 09:09 PM
You didn't really seem like the player that needed much help. You did tell me and Connemara that you were gonna take out someone early so I figured you'd be fine. I had no idea that you'd get triple-teamed and owned so quickly.

Admiral Vostok
08-10-2004, 09:22 PM
Wow, sounds like someone's a sore loser! I'm glad the 1v1v1 win makes you feel less hard-done by...

pbguy1211
08-11-2004, 09:59 AM
no, not a sore loser. that game was just very frustrating. :p i kept wanting to make runs at saber but i kept running into everyone else first.

DK_Viceroy
08-11-2004, 10:11 AM
I was actually Nitro hunting to make sure he didn't get a chance to do pummel drops the scouting team just ran into you first.

Admiral Vostok
08-11-2004, 01:24 PM
Well I haven't got the motivation to do a full battle report since most of those who would be interested were actually playing the game :p

I will give a brief overview though.

Game 1 saw Myself (Naboo), pbguy (Rebels) and Nitro (Empire) vs saberhagen (Wookiees), Viceroy (Confederacy) and Connemara (Rebels). I think pbguy hit saber pretty early on and crippled him for a bit. I was right next to Viceroy, and I'd just started whoring my air force - I only had a handful each of fighters and bombers - when Viceroy decided to send some artillery against my fortress. Right in the middle of his attack my range upgrade finished researching and he had to retreat the artillery, who were now in range. Instead of letting him go unpunished I sent what little air I had in to his base to take out the artillery and cause a bit of disruption. Once there, I realised how unprepared Viceroy was for an air attack, and decided to turn my small strike in to a full on attack. Reinforcing as I went along I proceeded to decimate Viceroy's base. Pbguy must have noted my success and sent his army in to join in the fun. Viceroy's base was for the most part destroyed, although he obviously still had a pocket somewhere as he didn't resign. Rather than hunt him down pbguy and I moved against saber, and after wiping out all of saber's resistance he promptly resigned. This in turn cause Viceroy to resign, and the Connemara folded too.

Game 2 proceeded pretty much as pbguy described above, though it wasn't as unbalanced as he would have you believe. The real killer as you may have gathered came in the form of my completely unexpected navy, with which I bombarded his fortresses and considerable anti-air contingent before swooping in along with saber and a small group from Viceroy to wipe him out. Nitro was next, and he wasn't going as easily. Viceroy dealt with Connemara, but Nitro was dug in hard and his defenses managed to decimate my air force. Eventually the combined attack from all three of use crushed Nitro too.

Game 3 was a 1v1v1 between myself, pbguy and saberhagen. I was chugging along quite nicely, having nabbed three holocrons, when suddenly I recieved the message that saberhagen had resigned. This always quite naturally instills a sense of dread in me, as any force I could muster would be less successful against pbguy than saber's would be. Sure enough pbguy arrived with a huge army of troopers, while I had only just begun massing air. He wiped out my base fairly quickly, but was obviously unaware I had started a second base, since he concerned himself with destroying carbon centres instead of hunting me down. By the time he realised I had a second base, I had my fortress up with a sheild and had amassed a good swarm of fighters, which quickly sent his attacking force in to a retreat. Yet he was soon back, and he proceeded to build no less than three fortresses and a shield generator in my old base, from where he could safely cannon my single fortress to rubble. My bombers were powerless against his hundreds of aa troopers and three fortresses, so soon I resigned. Ironically pbguy expressed his disappointment that I had resigned rather than be wiped out, when he will usually resign at the first hint that he might have quite an up-hill struggle...

pbguy1211
08-11-2004, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by Admiral Vostok
Ironically pbguy expressed his disappointment that I had resigned rather than be wiped out, when he will usually resign at the first hint that he might have quite an up-hill struggle...
Yeah, but you're still able to go through my remains when I'm not there! :p

As far as that 1v3 whooping I took, I resigned from the sheer numbers aspect of it. I had no shot, and there weren't many, if any, re-inforcements on the way. At least I sent Nitro all my resources first . :confused:

General Nitro
08-11-2004, 11:02 PM
And even with those extra resources, I still got owned. I'm so ashamed..

Admiral Vostok
08-11-2004, 11:58 PM
You put up quite a good last stand though. I reckon that had pbguy retreated to your base, your defenses would have held out long enough for him to get back on top of things. Certainly I was impressed when you managed to wipe out my air swarm completely! I had to go and get my reserve force! :p

DK_Viceroy
08-12-2004, 06:17 AM
Though without Connemara he didn't really stand a chance if I hadn't annhialted Connemara they could have recovered since none of use had any sort of forward base near there with the the exception of 6 troop centers a power core and 2 carbon centers but that would have gotten qiped out in a heart beat.

PBGuy from what i've heard of you you could definetly have recovered especially since you had workers in Connemara's base.

that's why i never use air vostok because the confederacy has crap air even though in the manual it says elite geo's are sheilded which they most certainly are not.

General Nitro
08-12-2004, 09:17 AM
Vostok - I was able to wipe out your air force cause I spent much of the game building AA Mobiles. I had around 20 whenever your airforcecame by. Too bad I didn't have an army to protect them.:(

Admiral Vostok
08-12-2004, 09:40 AM
I can deal with 20 AA Mobiles. But I can't deal with 20 AA Mobiles protected by a shield generator with a Fortress and an AA Turret right nearby...

...well I can but not after my bombers have been depleted because they've just come from attacking pbguy ;)

DK_Viceroy
08-15-2004, 06:07 AM
Yup definetly true I wonder though

what would be able to take out more fighters

20 fully upgraded empire AA mobiles

or

20 fully upgrdaded Confederacy AA mobiles.

saberhagen
08-15-2004, 08:00 AM
In that first game I was pocket right in the corner of the map and pbguy was pocket in the opposite corner, but he still managed to trooper rush me!

In the second one we had a trooper war that went backwards and forwards but I got pummel dropped and lost my CC when I was till in T2. Luckily Vostok tributed me loads of res (which confused me at first cos I didn't realise he'd done it!) so I could rebuild it and go T3.

Admiral Vostok
08-15-2004, 09:41 AM
Unfortunately I probably killed a few of your troops myself when I didn't think and sent my bombers in to take out the pummels... :(

I had to ask you if you'd recieved the tribute, because for some reason it didn't put up the message "Vostok has tributed..." so I was confused too.

Viceroy - I think the Confederacy gets slightly better AA Mobiles, so I guess that answers your question. Still you need at least as many AA Mobiles as I have bombers, and I always have more than 20. :D

DK_Viceroy
08-15-2004, 03:12 PM
i'd say at least 40 could take out your air especiually if you've built a NAVY perish the thought an army to boot.

Admiral Vostok
08-16-2004, 02:19 PM
True, 40 might have a decent chance of taking me out, but 40 AA-Mobiles are a lot more expensive than 40 Bombers.

DK_Viceroy
08-16-2004, 02:30 PM
Yeah but you've also got to see what's got more health the aa mobile or the bombers.

swphreak
08-16-2004, 05:34 PM
Awesome game today!

Can't wait til Vostok's report, or whoever does it.

General Nitro
08-16-2004, 07:03 PM
Yeah, that was by far the best game we've ever had.

pbguy1211
08-16-2004, 11:53 PM
Score one for the good guys ;)

Admiral Vostok
08-17-2004, 12:26 AM
Well, it was certainly one of the most intense games we've had so far, and one of the longest. As a result we only played the one game, but I don't think anyone was disappointed about that.

The teams were me (Naboo), saberhagen (Confederacy) and Nitro (Empire) vs pbguy (Rebels), Viceroy (Confederacy) and StarWarsPhreak (Trade Federation). Despite being interrupted a couple of times when saber's machine would get out of sync, the game got underway pretty quickly. Wary of a mounty rush from pbguy, I built a whole lot of troopers in preparation, and although when he did rush me he managed to take out a few of my carbon workers, I managed to head him off for the most part. It was clear that pbguy was getting used to playing against me since he was guarding holocrons with a handful of troopers, but I still managed to nab two of them for a comfortable nova flow.

I'd begun to amass my usual air force while defending against a few of pbguy's rushes. Nitro had set up a forward base right under Viceroy's, and when Viceroy started an attack Nitro called for help. I sent in my bombers and cleared out Viceroy's invasion force. Nitro prompted me to turn the defense into an attack on Viceroy, but my numbers were still pretty low as I'd just begun whoring air, so I decided to wait a bit. Soon later Viceroy attacked again, and this time my air force was a bit more sizable. Unfotrunately as I sent my fighters across the screen I caught a glimpse of orange on the middle of the map - there was a good chance pbguy had seen me en route. Viceroy appeared to pull back into his base, and I should have figured something was up. My air force smashed into his aa mobiles protected by shields, fortresses and aa turrets, and I was getting beaten down. I decided to retreat - and it was at that moment I realised pbguy had mounted a huge offensive against my base. Fortunately I had some backup fighters and bombers to complement the remnants from the battle with Viceroy - but it wasn't enough. Pbguy, well adjusted to my tactics, had brought a huge amount of aa troopers and a-wings, and whittled my air force down to nothing. I called on saber for assistance, who arrived just in time to head of pbguy. I began rebuilding, and fortunately everytime pbguy mounted another attack against me, saber was there on the flank to help me out. Pbguy's continued efforts against me were probably a combination of both the need to remove me to get to saber's flank and the need to seek revenge for the devastation my navy had caused last week. ;)

Saber established a strong presence in and around my base, defending against both pbguy's and phreak's attacks. Thankfully Viceroy was busying himself against Nitro so I didn't cop too many of his offensives. The game continued in this vein for a long time; pbguy continually had me on the brink of collapse but through the help of saberhagen I managed to fend him off. Amazingly it came to that point in the game where every resource had been consumed - the only patch of carbon left was in the hot zone on the border of Nitro's and Viceroy's bases. I still had a decent stockpile, but pbguy's attacks came hard and fast, without giving me enough time to adequately prepare for the next battle. Eventually pbguy overcame me and was running riot in my base. He'd taken out one of my two groups of airbases (I had eight in total in two groups of four) which slowed my production somewhat, and while I thought I was about to send his mounty swarm into a route, StarWarsPhreak executed a tactic that caught me completely off guard. He'd given his Workers Advance Programming - you know, turned them into sappers, something I've hardly ever seen done - and invaded my bases with hundreds of the little Trade Federation worker droids. This tactic was no doubt a result of the lack of resources other than food. Those sapper droids ripped through what remained of my base, aided and protected by pbguy's force. Soon, I was defeated.

With me out of the game, Nitro began to dispair; I could almost hear the panic in his messages to saber. Viceroy's army began to descend on Nitro's base while pbguy and Phreak's sappers ploughed into saber's base. I could see the excess of food and lack of other resources had forced Viceroy to change some of his force composition too, as he had included a number of Acklay and Reek in his army. The sappers were eating through saber's base on from the East while the Reeks were doing the same to Nitro's base from the West. In the midst, pbguy's mounties and a-wings ran amok. Soon, saber fell, and Nitro was on his own. In typical Nitro fashion, rather than just resign he sent his hover freighters to distant corners of the map to annoy the hell out of his opponents while they had to mop up.

An immense battle, but immensely enjoyable. It seems that against pbguy, my air-whoring no longer has much of an effect. Of course it's debatable as to whether any sort of tactic againt pbguy would have much of an effect. As a result, I made a public decision to take up Gungans in our next game - about as different from Naboo as you can get. I will return to Naboo in the future... but probably only when I'm not playing against pbguy... :D

pbguy1211
08-17-2004, 01:43 AM
While it was a good write up, it still doesn't do justice to the near 2 hour epic that was played. We'll have to upload the file at some point.

The main point in attacking you was that either you or Nitro had to go first. Because on ice lake it would have been near impossible to get saber first seeing as we were each in the pocket. Call it luck, but I chose you first for whatever reason. That reason probably being I didn't want to leave you alone only to see a mass ass amount of air units flying over my base in the distant future. ;) So the assault was on. Coming southeast, on the outskirts of Phreak's base, I made a mini base of 2 forts, 2 troop centers and 2 mech factories. I took out a few forts with cannons. Each time i tried to attack with my units and AA units I would pretty much get all the units you sent at me... and every time I did that saber would flank me from the west and whack that army. Then I would have to send in the army from my home base to attack saber. After I'd get them, I'd assemble another army to seige Vostok. And the same thing would happen each time. However, for some reason I knew I'd be able to overcome them if I simply kept pumping out the armies. There were a few nice battles in that middle south-eastern area. Lots of back and forth action with units of every kind. And while we would fight there, I would see saber also send units towards my base. Thankfully there isn't a lot that's going to overcome and army of a wings and mounted troopers (my all-time favorite combo). A wings for the troops, and the mounties will own all other units. The air speeders are especially nice vs. the mechs as well.

At the same time, in the far western corner of the map, DK was having his own issues. Nitro was building a foward base with help from saber on the outskirts of DK's base. At one point taking out a chunk of DK's left side of his base. I sent mounties, a wings, and air speeders to help when I could. Though at one point I got worried seeing Nitro was nearing his spaceport. It was imperative to me that the SP wasn't vulnerable or wiped out. So I also sent a group of about 40 repeaters to help hold the lines. We kept them off for awhile. The battle for the western corner would not be decided until right before the game was decided.

Meanwhile in the far east, I noticed saber had also built a small base there as well... great... So the fight raged on. After many (failed) attempts I got fed up with my strat and I had to fight fire with fire. I did something I almost NEVER do... My stubborn butt finally researched the advanced fighters. :) Now it was on. My fighters came of the base in the far east and took out Vostok's air.
Then the a wings got the troops, and the mounties took out all the power cores making most of saber's buildings relatively useless. Soon, the troops and assault mechs followed and the eastern base was gone. Don't get me wrong, this wasn't all on my own. Phreak's HDD's were very effective vs saber's repeaters, as well as all other ground units. Then one of the funnier things I've ever seen happen... Since we'd exhausted all of the resources on the map, Phreak sent his workers to attack! TF worker droids were on the move and reeking havoc on all that stood in their way. Buildings stood no chance!
The assault then moved into phreak's base. Fighters got his fighters, then the mounties got all the power cores. Then, I made for the jedi temples. Bye bye holocrons. Then we made for the CC's and spaceports. saber's aid wasn't enough after awhile and Vostok was done for. We then sent the assault to saber. Mounties levelled all in their way, and now my 20, fully upgraded, jedi masters were on the loose. Converting power cores, troop centers, and to add insult to injury, nurseries. ;)
Saber was overcome.
At that point, the mass of orange and teal moved west. To Nitro. Where the battle for the western front was still raging. He could not overcome 3 armies. Not many could. Jedi converted all his shields and power cores. Workers, uh... worked on attacking. And soon enough, after being beaten down to 1 worker, and air transport and a pummel... Nitro was hunted down and defeated. And thus ended the major epic that has since been dubbed: "The longest game we've ever had so far."
There is probably a lot I left out, as the western battle raged for a long time, and while I supported in it, I wasn't the major player involved. Other shall fill in the blanks where needed.

The final results:
Score (http://www.monmouth.com/~gangrel/scr167.jpg)
Military (http://www.monmouth.com/~gangrel/scr168.jpg)
Economy (http://www.monmouth.com/~gangrel/scr169.jpg)
Technology (http://www.monmouth.com/~gangrel/scr170.jpg)
Society (http://www.monmouth.com/~gangrel/scr171.jpg)
Timeline (http://www.monmouth.com/~gangrel/scr172.jpg)

Unfortunately, I cannot post the game, since my saved file only goes up to the first out of sync message we got.

swphreak
08-17-2004, 02:13 AM
I think you meant Vostok's base, not mine :p

And My AA Mobiles and Destroyer Droids were very helpful in yout battles. Especially when I finally had a sizable amount to fend off Saber's AA Mobiles and Mech Destroyers. I also remember taking out a little snippit of Vostoks Air force that he sent against me.

I wasn't really low on resources, but Nova was kinda slow with each hovercraft giving about 20 per drop off. I had a lot of food so I thought I'd build some workers and use them while I build my Destroyer Droids.

Ya gotta admit, it worked :p

pbguy1211
08-17-2004, 03:21 AM
forgot about those mobiles.

my mini base was on the outside of you walls on the south side (hehe, walls...).

Look at the achievement screens i took after the game ended... You think you had a lot of food? I collected almost 200 THOUSAND more units of food than you! And I traded a lot for some extra nova too.

swphreak
08-17-2004, 09:18 AM
Well, considering that Destroyer Droids cost no food, and I wasn't using it at all, it was a lot for me. :p

I hope I have time for next week's match, and that I can connect to Vostok (I'll be on my College's network then).

DK_Viceroy
08-17-2004, 12:37 PM
Everyobody already knows how we started off and since I'm no fan of repition i won't go on about it.

about a quarter of the way through the game I established a mining camp near a very rich patch of nova, I knew the Nitro was in the general area so i sent a small army forward to protect my command center behind a barricade of prefabs. Then a little later having built mainly AA since whenever i'm against any air whorer i'm always the first attacked. He ripped into the barricade of prefabs but when i relalised what was happening I sent my small combined arms force down to the sides of the prefabs to get any stragglers while i held nitro off. after a while I broke his attack and anhialted his forward bases forward base. and went for a quick countrer attack into nitros base which after doing more damage in terms of resources than nitro had done to me, his resistance stiffened and my army was overwhelmed by that time Saberhagen had started commerce raiding on my primary trade routes to Phreak so I increased hovercrafts to PB's spaceport and took advanatge of all the nova my trade bonus could garner. meanwhile Nitro had launched a simoueltaneous pummel drop and offensive i destroyed the pummels and the attack force which came a few minutes afterwards really caused trouble leaving me with an increadibly thin line of prefabs left. however a horde of workers i had been building i had garrisoned. it was at this time PBGuy cam swarming in with A-Wings and put pressure in while mounites took out the rebuilt forward base forward base and my forces swarmed in again by that time i had my AA mobiles fully upgraded and was preparing to have mobile defence points, my attack force against nitro was demolished by Vostok's first and only succesful air attack against my forces, he retreated afterwards fortunatly for me since my air defence was not yet strong enough to repelling vostoks swarm. however it was strong enough to destroy a string of pummel drops which never landed. it was at this time that nitro attacked again and did considerable damage and nearly broke through my lines but by then the huge orders i had placed were finished at my new mech and troop facilities which i had built in large quantities away from the front lines. i then threw nitro back and did the unthinkable. I built a fort next toi my command centers and built a sheild generator fully upgradded them and prepared a trap. my newly revitalised forces wreaked havoc until a vostok air armada was seen inbound by PB and which i had also seen after PB mentoined i pulled back and got everything in position. I moved half of my air dfenece force to the area where i expected the blow to fall and spread the rest of my air defence force throughout my rear areas because Nitro had taken to TIE raiding me which forced me earleir to build loads of AA { now vostok now knows why he lost his air armada } anyway Vostok fell into my trap and completly decimated his air armada for the cost of 30 troopers and 2 mechs. I had no plans to attack anyone else at the moment as Saberhagen's commerce raiding had peaked and i discontinued all trading with phreak since it was too dangerous and by that point my base and PB's base had merged at the ends so there was a secure trading route so i exploited that as much as possible and as such got the highest trade income. Shortly after this carbon began to run out map wide and i finally started to construct a prefab wall around my increadibly vulnerable sides since saber had also started toi commit his forces to the fight and i was afraid they'd attack my horribly vulnerable sides since they new about them from vostoks and nitros flyby's. I had also started to field Geonosian warriors and launched my latest offensive which looked like it was gonna break through but failed by an uncertain margin. by then carbon supplies had grown critical so i used the Confederacies trump card Trainable Animals. by then my forces were near fully upgraded and vostok was being wiped out by a leisurley offensive by PB and Phreak my sole contribution to that arena was my sizeable carbon operation in the vicinity which discovered sabers base their so i built a pair of advanced turrets in the middle of the area and garrisoned them taking out a sizeable portion of vostoks wrokers before he reatliated and then shortly after that area was under attack by the combined armies of PB and phreak.

meanwhile the western front was far from quiet

Nitro's latest offensive came close to breaking my tenuos lines but i managed to bring down the confederacies iron might in one swift hammer blow and was running amok in nitro's forward base and built a small forward post containing a lot of AA advanced turrets and a sheilded fortress to divert nitro's attention away from what i was preparing to field. I had done the unthinkable i had been forced to resort to assault mechs which i used as part of a combined arms force almost broke nitro but I withdrew them before they could be destroyed and he took out my forward outpost by which time the rest of my army was formidable and i then broke nitro's next attack and threw these in but saber and nitro's iron resistance threw back my attack and destroyed several assault mechs together their lightining offensive managed to cull my farmers and even come within line of sighjt of my troop facilities but fortunatly PB came swooping in and blasted a good portion of them away allowing me to regain the intiative with a now considerable force of Assault mechs and a huge force of Reeks ackalys heavy artiullery strike mechs mech destroyers and troopers. by then i had researched every technology avaible to the confederacy. nitro's and sabers next combined offensive was annhialted and Phreaks' first force of droidekas was destroyed en route unable to defend themselves from Sabers mech destroyers so i continued my facade of launching sporadic attacks until i knew phreak was ready so i asked for his help then and his small force contained what i could not afford to put in { in case nitro attack with air in my base i couldn't transfer my aa to the army } the Sledgehammer descended upon nitro's forward base taking it apart in record time finally the way was clear the stalemate broken and the siege lifted. the ONLY remaining carbon patch had been liberated which i eagerly exploited as well as the 17 clumps of noiva in the area which fueld mine and phreaks continuos assault against nitro to prevent a recovery by nitro but with saber now on the brink the writing was on the wall, and by that time it was cheap enough for spy net and after a brutal blitzkried nitro's main base was destroyed however a small splinter force walked right up to my bassd and into my newly completed prefab wall and was sumarrily destroyed by PB's Air fleet.

Nitro why don't you post up your side of the conflict since our western front saw more action during the entire game then any other area. That hot spot KEPT chaninging places noone ever had it long enough to exploit. though that final battle would have decided it since if my army had failed i would have been doomed that was all of my forces including my reserves and counter attack would have ripped through and possible even gotten into PB's base and done some damage before it could have been stopped.

General Nitro
08-17-2004, 12:54 PM
Well, I don't remeber every single detail, but I do know that it was back and worth the whole time until I was destroyed by reeks and acklays. Everytime I destroyed one of your batalion of troops it was like another one came out of no where. Then you'd kill my troops. Then I'd kill yours. Back and forth for all eternity.

The farthest I made it into your base was when a god bit of your prefabs were gone and there was no new army. I began building some cannons and some artillery to go after your trooper centers. Then all of a sudden pbguy comes out of no where and chases me off. Then he leaves, which left me a bit puzzled. So I go back only to find yet another wave of troops and mechs. That was about as far as I had made it into your base.

I think it was two times before you defeated my base you managed to get really close to my fortress and command center. Vostok helpeed me repel you the first time and saber the second.

Everytime I cleared you out I tried to build my base closer and closer. After you came close to my base once I see a fortress and turrets and a shield generator. I take those down with cannons. Then more mechs and troops come.

Eventually You build alot of assault mechs which probably could have owned my base at the time, but you did not attack with them. They were were defended your base I guess. I did have the resources to build any assualt mechs, so it was a downward spiral.

Other Stuff:

*Some events listed may be out of order. It was a long battle afterall:p

**you/your = DK_Viceroy

***I cost me around 700 nova to get 100 carbon. Food sold for 14 nova. Eventually it took to long to click and I couldn't fight at the same time.

****I should have had a second holo but I left my sith holding it in the middle of the map for like 5 minutes and pbguy killed him. I was crushed.

*****Great Game

DK_Viceroy
08-17-2004, 01:22 PM
You can thank me for upping the price of carbon why didn't you reaserched alterred bargains or whatever it's called.

Nitro My strategies Revolve round The Horde Tactic. the creation of powerful cheap yet sophisticated attack force which never end and has immense numerical superiority which since never ends beats the enemy into submission by causing despair since quite literally the horde never ends.

that is why i didn't attack nitro because those forces were not yet numerical and the fortressess, were a distraction and you know how distracted you got.

Does anyone have the final replay?

pbguy1211
08-17-2004, 02:01 PM
My fleet of a wings had to be in 3 places at the same time. Hence the coming and going. Initially they were support vs Vostok. Then they had to help vs you. Then they had to cut off saber's mass of repeaters he would send. No sense in building 3 armies, just build 1 that happens to be the fastest. :)
I don't know what you guys were so low in carbon, I still had about 20K at the end of the game. And thankfully I had 40 hovercraft going and over 120K food at the end also, so the mounties and a-wings were easy to produce.

My recorded game only goes up to the first out of sync. :(

Admiral Vostok
08-17-2004, 02:13 PM
Unfortunately, although I definitely re-selected Record Game both times we restored, it seems to not have done so. I've only got the first bit. :(

Great battle reports from everyone. It's good to hear all the different sides of the story.

saberhagen
08-17-2004, 02:43 PM
It was a typically insane ice-lake game: millions of nerfs and the carbon ran out after an hour or so!

I found it difficult being pocket on that map. I wanted to attack pbguy but I couldn't get a foothold on that side of the map so I didn't really know what to do except support my wings, which I did, but we never made a breakthrough.

I collected more carbon than anyone, but I put it all into carbon heavy units: MDs, repeaters, artillery, AA mobiles.

When Vostok sent loads of air to help Nitro, I already had a lot of units on the way to that corner of the map, but when I saw pbguy going for Vostoks base, I had to rush them back across the map - he really caught us on the wrong foot.

At one point I managed a Geo raid on the land between pbguy and phreak but the awings were there very quick and I don't think it did a huge amount of damage to their workers. Incidentally I had no idea I was disrupting the trade routes between Viceroy and Phreak. It was probably just a side effect of massing units in the middle of the map to counter pbguy.

General Nitro
08-17-2004, 03:13 PM
DK - Is that thing with the Jabba picture?

DK_Viceroy
08-17-2004, 03:24 PM
I'm suprised you didn't help nitro more if you had and made a breakthrough at mine you would have had PBGuy vulnerable.

nitro what jabba?

saberhagen
08-17-2004, 04:54 PM
When I decided to give loads of help to Nitro, pbguy attacked Vostok so I had to shift my attention to the other side of the map.

General Nitro
08-17-2004, 07:15 PM
Hutt Endorsements. I idnt research altered bargains because I never had to do the much resource trading. Therefore, I never use it nor did I really know what it was till now. I'll research it from now on.

Admiral Vostok
08-17-2004, 09:13 PM
I wish the game had have recorded properly! It truly was a good game.

I've been practicing a bit with Gungans in preparation for next week, as I vowed to give up my air-whoring for a while... I need a bit more practice still... I'm thinking I might switch to Republic, where I can still whore air, but I at least have some other options open unlike Naboo. :D

pbguy1211
08-17-2004, 09:41 PM
8/22 ... pb and saber vs all ;)

General Nitro
08-17-2004, 11:00 PM
Interesting purposal...

pbguy1211
08-17-2004, 11:21 PM
let the slaughtering commence...

but who will do the slaughtering???

pbguy1211
08-18-2004, 02:00 AM
Actually saber, I think you helped with that little geo raid. I was at pop limit most of the game and those workers just finished mining some sort of resource. :p

Admiral Vostok
08-18-2004, 03:17 PM
Saber and pbguy vs the rest, eh? Sounds fun... Of course the fact that saber and pbguy have never been on the same team before will make the game a nice change at least...

pbguy1211
08-18-2004, 04:19 PM
Well, if it ends up 2v5... then we might have to claim phreak for our team. ;)

Hopefully I won't be too hungover. I forgot one of my friends is having a party the night before. So I could end up being in a very bad way for Sunday! :eek:

Admiral Vostok
08-18-2004, 09:23 PM
I think 2v5 would be better than 3v4... though maybe not if you hate getting triple-teamed so much ;)

DK_Viceroy
08-19-2004, 12:10 PM
Personally Vostok I'd pick the Republic Over the gungans because they can support relatively good ground focres with good air they're the jack of all trades much like the empire after them. The Gungans are like the confedreacy they own the land and are vulnerable from the air so that'll put you in good stead since you know all about air whoring and so will know how it can be defeated. Beleive me however when I saw you'll need to practise for a decade to make yourself look good by playing as the gungans.

I look forward to this 2 v 5

:bdroid2: My droids will engoy scoruing you from the battle field:bdroid2:

saber's propabl a bad team choice due to OOS but still it'll be fun propably not as epic but fun.

Admiral Vostok
08-19-2004, 03:22 PM
Well as pbguy said I fared well as Trade Fed in a long-ago game. They aren't that different to Gungans. But I still feel too vulnerable without any decent air, so I think Republic will be it.

saberhagen
08-19-2004, 04:51 PM
I've only gone OOS one feckin week! Out of all the weeks we've played! ANd we managed to restore. Who hasn't had connection probelms?

Republic don't have great ground forces. They're mostly air and jedi like the Naboo. They can build repeaters very fast but they're fairly average and will get owned by Wooks, Confed or Rebel repeaters. Their mechs and heavy weapons aren't up to much at all. Gungans are more like the Empire, but htey have better mechs and heavies and worse air.

Admiral Vostok
08-19-2004, 05:29 PM
Well maybe I'll shop around a bit with civs. I'll see how I go with Republic this week, then maybe try Gungans if I don't go so well. I'm in the mood for a Naboo change at any rate.

pbguy1211
08-20-2004, 06:53 PM
Breaks out the whoopin' stick...

Admiral Vostok
08-20-2004, 08:41 PM
Well as Nitro can confirm, I absolutely suck with Republic. The problem is they're kind of like Naboo but not enough... their bombers are too slow, and I can't fight the temptation to get Jedi too early.

So, I'll be playing Gungans next game. However I regret to announce I most likely won't be joining in the game this Sunday, as I'll be going away for the weekend. I hope to see battle reports all the same, and I will most likely be back next weekend.

General Nitro
08-20-2004, 10:36 PM
The Republic is no match for a miracle.

DK_Viceroy
08-21-2004, 06:51 AM
Especially since Pulling miracles out of nowhere is my speciality.

I hope somehow you'll be able to come this sunday but if not we'll manage somehow.

saberhagen
08-21-2004, 08:16 AM
otoh Republic is easily the best civ for DM. Nothing can stop a jedi master rush followed up with mounty/repeater flood and air support.

DK_Viceroy
08-21-2004, 09:30 AM
Saber when was the last time the forum game was a DM?

Republic is pretty good late game espcially since they get Kaminoan Cloners for the animal nursery.

Admiral Vostok
08-21-2004, 09:41 AM
Republic are great late game. Unfortunately once I get to TL4 I spend too much time researching Jedi techs and not enough time pumping out units.

Have a good game without me. Unfortunately unless DMUK shows up this week I don't think you'll be able to do pbguy & saberhagen vs the rest.

DK_Viceroy
08-21-2004, 10:31 AM
Your best off building the army and then after it's built upgrade it
and if you need to attack continue upgrading but use your units cunningly it's really not that hard.

saberhagen
08-22-2004, 02:54 PM
I'll probably be there tomorrow, if I can be bothered to take my PC back into the house...

General Nitro
08-23-2004, 11:30 AM
If I don't show up today, don't bother waiting for me.

saberhagen
08-24-2004, 07:13 AM
ANother week, another 2 defeats!

The first game was a 3 way FFA between me, pbguy and Viceroy. I was closest to pbguy and to make things more unpleasant, it was a space map. The good thing was that there were plenty of mynocks near my CC so I had a good start. That nearly cost me though: because I was hunting early on, I had still had food stockpiles left well into T2. Luckily I saw pbguy's rush coming and moved the food workers out of the way just in time. Then my troopers moved in and wiped out his first wave, but I knew a second one wouldn't be far behind so I built more troopers. The 2nd wave did more damage, going for the carbon workers while his mounties nearly burnt down the turret that was guarding them. Again I moved my troopers in and wiped them out, built more workers and troopers, and set out for a counter attack. I got a few of pbguys carbon workers and killed the first lot of troopers who came out to proptect them, but with heavy losses, and he had a constant stream of new troopers coming out of his troop centres and my force was eventually wiped out. After that, pbguy got to T3 and I was nowhere near. Before I could get there, he came at me with masses of heavy troopers and advanced mounties, supported by strike mechs and a couple of MDs. And that was the end for me...

Phreak showed up for the 2nd game so it was a 2v2, me and Viceroy vs pbguy and Phreak, on a motherlode. I was between Phreak and Viceroy, with no direct route to pbguy, so I went T3 and tried to air rush him. That didn't get me very far because he had plenty of aa troopers, although I managed to pick off one or two workers and a force of troopers and mounties who were heading for Viceroy's base.

I got a decent boom going and had over 100 workers, but pbguy got to T4 before me and proceeded to deliver death by 1000 awings (well, it seemed like it). As soon as I saw the mass of orange appear on the mini map I started building more aa and garrisonning my workers, but it was too little too late. Everything that moved was wiped out, and although I saved a few workers, they couldn't do anything for a while because I couldn't get rid of the awings. Also, my one nova patch ran out and I forgot to start trading soon enough, so although I got to T4 I couldn't afford to upgrade anything or make enough fighters. I kept fighting but I knew we were finished. Soon a force of assault mechs, cannons and repeaters was chewing up my base, supported by Phreak's droidekas. Viceroy sent MDs, aa troops and repeaters to help me and we held the attacks off for a while against overwhelming odds (I ended up losing about 700 units!) but it couldn't last, and I was wiped out fairly quickly.

Admiral Vostok
08-24-2004, 11:36 AM
Well, sounds like a small turnout but decent games none-the-less. Sorry I couldn't make it, I will be there next week though (barring any unforeseen events).

DK_Viceroy
08-24-2004, 05:04 PM
DO NOT SAY things like that you'll tempt fate and fate loves an excuse. i wouldn't say decent i'd say sluaghter it seems that practically any match against PB is a forgone conclusion a gruelling defeat.

Admiral Vostok
08-24-2004, 08:06 PM
Yes... unless you manage to mount a triple-team effort on him in which case he quits without a fight ;)

pbguy1211
08-25-2004, 04:38 PM
the numbers in that one 1v3 battle were way too great for me to overcome. i'd spent all my resources fighting the other 2 guys, and then vostok sends in his T4 GU units and I was on the wrong end of an unbalanced scale. At least I sent somone on my team all my resources before I bit the dust.

Admiral Vostok
08-25-2004, 05:22 PM
But you also could have retreated behind Nitro's formidable defences and used the masses of resources you had to build a counter offensive.

swphreak
08-26-2004, 11:03 AM
Yeah, Vostok knows how good I am about hiding behind allied bases... <.<

That was a fun game.

I hope I don't have too much homework for this weeks game.

pbguy1211
08-29-2004, 08:45 PM
sorry about running so fast after that second game, but i had to go do some stuff.

Admiral Vostok
08-30-2004, 06:21 AM
Fair enough. I'll credit your extremely early resignation to that too ;)

With the Forums operational again it's time for this weeks battle report.

The first game was very much our experimental game. We decided to experiment with having pbguy and saberhagen on the same team, and I decided to experiment with playing Gungans. The result was an absolute slaughter.

Pbguy was Rebels and saberhagen was Confederacy, while the other team consisted of Viceroy (Confederacy), StarWarsPhreak (Trade Federation), lukeiamyourdad (Wookiees) and me (Gungans).

The game was going along nicely. I'd managed to hold off a few strike rushes and help out others when they were rushed, so I assumed I wasn't going too badly. Then pbguy hit Phreak. Although Phreak's base wasn't destroyed, he decided to execute his usual tactic of "hide a worker in a friendly CC then when needed use him to build a base at the back of said friend's base".

Meanwhile saber was hitting LukesDad pretty hard, though he was certainly rising to the challenge. Pbguy now turned his attentions on Viceroy, and before long he too had a base in the back of mine. Well this was looking grim, but I managed to build quite a few shield generators and fortresses for protection. They didn't last long against pbguy's offense. When playing Naboo, Cannons have never been a problem as my fighters and bombers make short work of them, but as Gungans I haven't really perfected a decent anti-Cannon strategy. I was relying on mounties, but they fell fast to A-Wings, and I didn't have the numbers as I'd had far too many casualties fending off rushes from both enemies.

Inevitably I too was steamrolled. My efforts were too little too late. As a side effect of mass destruction of spaceports, luke's spaceport was crowded with a swarm of hover freighters. This upset Phreak somewhat, as he was relying on the trade routes to build Droidekas, and eventually he resigned. Pbguy discovered my second base, and promptly destroyed it, so I sent all my resources to LukesDad and resigned too. Pretty soon, Viceroy was also gone, and LukesDad was left alone. What a stand he made! He managed to hold off both saber and pbguy for quite some time after we were all gone, but against such an alliance there could be no victory. Eventually, he was over-run.

The second game I decided to give up this silliness and just play Naboo. By the end of the game I swore never to use another civ again... at least until I get bored again. The teams were pbguy and Viceroy vs saberhagen, lukeiamyourdad and me. Pbguy hit saber pretty early, as usual, so saber moved from his position on the wing to establish a base between LukesDad and me. By this time I'd fended off an assault or two from pbguy, and discovered the key to complete Naboo success. The one unit I had problems with previously was the AA Trooper. They are cheaper to mass than AA Mobiles, and although Fighters cut through them almost as fast as Bombers cut through Mobiles, the fact there is far more of them was what always spelt defeat for me. Pbguy nows this, of course, since on one of his T3 assaults against my base he sent more AA Troopers than Mounties and A-Wings.

But in doing my homework for "Getting the most out of each civ" thread, I discoevered that Naboo Strike Mechs aren't too bad, so I massed them in addition to Fighters and Bombers. The were great at holding off pbguy, particularly against his AA Troopers and Mounties. So that's the key to Naboo success: Strike Mechs.

I mounted an attack against Viceroy's base, which was next to mine, and soon later LukesDad joined the assault and we had pretty much destroyed Viceroy's original base. He'd retreated behind pbguy and built a new base there. Luke and I busied ourselves collecting what were once Viceroy's resources, and instead of recieving an A-Wing strike from pbguy as I was expecting, he instead attacked our workers with X-Wings. There was quite a number of them, but even I was surprised at how quickly my Fighters took them out. The swarm was wiped out and I'd only recieved a handful of casualties (apart from the Workers). I commented on how beautiful that had been.

Pbguy had established Fortresses all over the map, and it was at about this point in the game that luke and I started wiping them out. Most of them had been completely garrisoned with AA Troopers, since pbguy was no doubt anticipating my usual tactic of attacking Fortresses with Bombers, but this time we used a couple of my Cannons and a lot of luke's Artillery. After the first couple of Fortresses were destroyed, pbguy despaired and quit, depriving us of fun. Viceroy did the right thing and fought on, and quite admirably I might add. He'd lined the perimeter of his base with AA Turrets, and they were positioned in such a way that it was impossible for me to effectively use Bombers against them. Fortunately at this time I'd built a host of Jedi Masters (having four holocrons helped immensely in this regard) and I proceeded to convert the Turrets. There was a nasty surprise of the remnants of pbguy's air whoring - a large number of X-Wings in the middle of his base - that held me back for a while, but pretty soon our team was wiping out Viceroy's base, and he resigned.

lukeiamyourdad
08-30-2004, 07:04 AM
Wookiee Artillery rules!!!

Slaughtered so many of saberhagen's troops with them...

saberhagen
08-30-2004, 09:48 AM
Nothing much I can say about these games as I didn't really do much. I happened to be on the winning side both times, but that was down to my allies.

DK_Viceroy
08-30-2004, 11:27 AM
If PB hadn't left We could have won. You really didn't get much respoucres from my base though as i had been particularly agressive in harvesting. Fortunatly you guys wern't scouting everywhere or you would have found me. explain how bombers couldn't effectibely be used against those AA turrets. If only PB hadn't left There was quite a storm brewing that given a bit more time would have broke with disastorous consequences.

Admiral Vostok
08-30-2004, 12:23 PM
You really didn't get much respoucres from my base though as i had been particularly agressive in harvesting.Well in the area we cleared out there were two large clusters of Nova and two moderately sized clusters of Ore, so I call that a lot of resources.explain how bombers couldn't effectibely be used against those AA turrets.Well they could, but not without heavy losses. So I thought I might as well bring in the Jedi.If only PB hadn't left There was quite a storm brewing that given a bit more time would have broke with disastorous consequences.Perhaps, but I don't think so.

pbguy1211
08-30-2004, 12:45 PM
DK, in order for us to have overcome them, we would have needed for you to have some sort of an army...

I can't take on 3 people in post t4. The numbers just don't allow for that kind of success.

I told you to attack Vostok in t3 for a reason. You said: "I'm not ready yet." Well, the point is that he wasn't either. And he needs T4 to be successful. By the time we got there he was in T4 and had his fighters going with shields.

After DK was whooped, the game was basically over. If I make an air army to try and take out Vostok, LIAYD owns me on the ground. If I go after LIAYD with ground units, Vostok owns me in the air. I can't make an army with enough size and balance to overcome the both of them. And then saber got a little bit of something going to be annoying enough to make it 1v3.

The key to winning is attacking first and best. Putting your opponent on the defensive and making them react to you. Some of you guys really need to go back and watch some of the past recorded games to see what goes on between me and saber before T4. You rely to heavily on it.

goes back to 9 hours of hell/work

swphreak
08-30-2004, 01:55 PM
Well, with no nova to generate DDs, I'm dead. And I'd rather play a giant 8v8 of Halo, then watch myself get slaughtered.

I hereby demand that Saber and PB vow to never again be on the same team <.<

lukeiamyourdad
08-30-2004, 02:45 PM
Nah we have to try it again :)

If people can hold of pbguy long enough I might be able to amass enough stuff to beat saber like in the first game we played. Managed to destroy saber's whole foward base. Then looks at his allies and pbguy...damn...so proud to destroy better player's forward base...yet...oy...

pbguy1211
08-30-2004, 04:43 PM
Maybe when Maul comes back we can try it again.

Dude, in game 1 you had no shot. I had 5 holo's and all the resources I wanted after taking about half of the map by force.
I didn't take phreak's land because I didn't want to knock him out of the game so early. But I had all of DKs area and I milked it for all I could. Not to mention my, phreak, and DKs nerfs I took by force as well.

saber should have made 1 AC to wipe out all your troops. :)
Maybe an assault mech or 2.

In game 2, I couldn't get at LIAYD for the life of me because of that friggin map. Weirdest damn thing I'd ever seen. The only way to it via saber's side was on a tiny little swamp path that seemed to stretch for half the map. And the other way I had to go through Vostok... and my secondary armies vs his first AND LIAYD's passing armies weren't going to hold up.

Admiral Vostok
08-30-2004, 06:46 PM
I think for us to at least stand an iota of chance against the pbguy-saberhagen alliance, I would at least have to be Naboo rather than Gungans. Viceroy said it all within the first couple of minutes of that game: "Vostok, what a time for you to give up air-whoring."

I'm keen to give it another try next week, provided we have enough people.

DK_Viceroy
08-31-2004, 02:02 AM
I think my precise words were.

Vostok I Congratulate You On Your Awful Timing To Give Up Air Whoring.

And PB I was starting to build up my trooper army given a bit longer i would have had mechs in the mix also.

saberhagen
08-31-2004, 03:32 AM
I had a terrible kill ratio in that first game. I killed about 500 units but lost over 900! But they were mostly troopers and mounties and I had the econ to keep pumping them out. Maybe I should've strike rushed Luke's dad instead of Vostok. I would've wiped him out as he didn't get to T2 until 18 minutes and I was T3 at 19, but because of that I didn't think he was much of a threat. I forgot that Vostok was Gungans and wanted to cripple him before he could go T4 and start air whoring!

That was a pretty weird map second time round.

lukeiamyourdad
08-31-2004, 07:44 AM
True. I was wondering why people all forgot that I was alive. Perhaps taking too much time to get to tech2 is a factor. Besides, it was my first game in a loooonnnnnggg time.

Strangely, as weird as the second map was, i really liked it. Lots of natural defense barriers. Very interesting.

pbguy1211
08-31-2004, 05:07 PM
With luke's T2 time, I really wasn't too worried about him in game 1. That was my take. In game 2, it was near impossible for me to get at him. Strangest damn map I've ever seen on this game. :confused:

DK_Viceroy
09-01-2004, 03:14 AM
Shorline isn't that strange a map surely?

Admiral Vostok
09-01-2004, 06:33 AM
I didn't notice anything overly strange, but then I didn't spend much time in the north or around luke's borders. I'm guessing that's where the oddities were.

Then again as an air-whore I rarely notice oddities in the terrain :p

saberhagen
09-01-2004, 09:55 AM
Watch the rec. It was extremely odd. There was a big bit of water between mine and luke's bases with a very long ford between them.

lukeiamyourdad
09-01-2004, 11:06 AM
Yep. There was no way any gorund force could have survived crossing the shallow whitout getting massacred at the other end. It's an oddity that really advantaged my defense :)

swphreak
09-01-2004, 04:25 PM
Well, I don't know if I'll be able to make it this game. It depends on when I get back from visiting relatives.

pbguy1211
09-01-2004, 04:39 PM
Well, this Sunday will probably be my last game for awhile.
Once the NFL season starts, my Sunday afternoons are occupied by the Pittsburgh Steelers between the hours of 1-4 US Eastern time. So enjoy it while it lasts this weekend! ;)

General Nitro
09-01-2004, 05:57 PM
heinz ward all the way!

Admiral Vostok
09-02-2004, 12:07 PM
Eventually we may need to find another time to play. I'll be back in Australia mid January, and I still want to join in the games but I'm not keen on getting up at 4am Monday morning just to do so!

DK_Viceroy
09-02-2004, 12:12 PM
Where abouts are you know Pray tell?

I agree Though It's gonna be a problem perhaps we could do the game on a saturday.

I'm on GMT British time so that's one time zone we've got to try and get it in so far.

pbguy1211
09-02-2004, 02:25 PM
I dunno, pick a day and a time. Sundays will be tough though. And I won't be able to make ALL Saturdays, but some aren't out of the question.

Admiral Vostok
09-02-2004, 04:06 PM
Viceroy - I'm in Toronto (GMT -5) right now. I'll be here until mid October probably, then I'll be travelling around Europe on my way back to Australia. Then I'll be in Brisbane (GMT +10).

Since I'll be the only person in Australia (unless Windu and Froz decide to join in, which I don't think they will) I'm willing to be the most flexible. If I have to be a bit inconvenienced, I won't mind. But 4am on a Monday morning is a bit much :p

pbguy1211
09-02-2004, 04:23 PM
I also happen to be an insomniac. Meaning I'm up all hours of the night.

lukeiamyourdad
09-02-2004, 06:02 PM
Yeah I don't mind late saturday night. I really can't on sundays if its too late. College kills my week days.

DK_Viceroy
09-02-2004, 10:36 PM
At least we're starting to get a new common time i'll do a bit of a parruzle and see i i can come up with a time that fits.

pbguy1211
09-03-2004, 05:16 PM
are we still on for this sunday?

DK_Viceroy
09-04-2004, 04:29 AM
I should hope so.

We're only discussing a new time is because now that schools back in as well as other things the time has to change.

swphreak
09-04-2004, 04:58 AM
Well, turns out my Uncle has wireless internet, so I'm connected through that. Now it's whether I'm on the road or not on Sunday.

DK_Viceroy
09-04-2004, 05:12 AM
Can some people also give me a few more cities to work with this site did come up with some times you can see em but they're not pretty.

Is what I used

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/meeting.html

and this is what i got

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingtime.html?day=11&month=9&year=2004&p1=297&p2=47&p3=189&p4=-1

I don't actually live in Birmingham It's just for some strange reason they don'y Have Newcastle Upon Tyne not that i blame them at present because the entire city is up in arms because they finally decided to get rid of the fossilised fool of a football manager Bobby Robson good riddance is all i can say.

Admiral Vostok
09-04-2004, 05:41 AM
Yep, game is still on this Sunday.

Viceroy, that's a nifty program you found there. I think the three cities you've got there will cover us since most people are at least in the same timezone as one of them. If anyone feels they aren't represented, speak up! I don't mind getting up early Sunday morning, so one of those options would probably be best as it will be Saturday evening in the UK and Saturday afternoon in the US and Canada.

However, we should probably leave the calculations until later, since the program is taking daylight savings times into account, which won't be in use come January.

DK_Viceroy
09-04-2004, 06:35 AM
Sat 9:00 PM * Sun 6:00 AM Sat 4:00 PM *

then that line looks to be the most reasonable, maybe even an hor later is better but then that's pushing it for some.

If there's one thing i've been good at it's crowd pleasing.

Admiral Vostok
09-04-2004, 08:04 AM
I was thinking the same time. By January daylight saving will be gone which will make it 7am in Brisbane, which is much better.

DK_Viceroy
09-05-2004, 11:03 PM
I wanna apologise for disconning last night, I had a feeling it was coming so i gave all my resources to PB, The reason i had a feeling it was gonna do that is because my modem began skweaking which it's only done once before in the last 2 years.

saberhagen
09-06-2004, 03:48 AM
I can't even remember how many games we started yesterday, but we only really finished one of them, and I screwed up in all of them!

The last one, which we pretty much fought to a conclusion before the dropping started, was on a precipice. Me, Vostok and Phreak vs Viceroy and pbguy. I was on the right wing opposite pbguy, so as usual we fought a trooper war and I came off worse. After failing to get a worker acrtoss the river, I built 2 troop centres and a power core on my side of the crossing and started massing troopers there. There were a few skirmishes between mine and pb's troopers. I held him back but couldn't force my way across the river (he had a turret on ihs side). Because I was concentrating all my force there, I didn't have any troopers or troop centres in my base to protect my workers, which was really stupid, cos pbguy sent a load of mounties round the long way and started to tear my base apart. I didn't know what to do at this point. I needed to bring my troopers back to see off the mounties, but if I did that I knew I'd lose my forward base. So I just procrastinated for a bit, but eventually sent my troopers back and killed most of the mounties, but not before they'd wiped out my turret and carbon centre and a good number of workers. Meanwhile, the troopers I was building at the forward base weren't enough to hold off pbguy's troopers and as I predicted, the forward base was soon gone. I still had enough troopers in my main base to deter another attack, and once I'd got my economy going again I built more troop centres at home. Appeals for help from my allies turned out to be counterproductive as Vostok sent fighters to my protect my base instead of attacking pbguy's economy straight away. I kept fighting into T4 and was the last to get wiped out, but really my fate (and the team's fate) was sealed in T2.

In an earlier game, things were even more ridiculous as Luke's dad and Viceory spent the early part of the game doubling Vostok while I got completely wiped out by pbguy! It was actually quite funny when my last 11 workers were slowly trying to rebuild behind Luke's base, and Viceroy suddenly told me to start air whoring!

So basically, anyone who finds themselves on the same team as me and against pbguy can safely assume that he will spend the first 30 minutes or so trying (and probably succeeding!) to wipe me out. That's when he's at his most vulnerable. Once he's got rid of me and started booming, there's no way he's going to lose.

DK_Viceroy
09-06-2004, 03:59 AM
Actually vostok raided PB several times but then i Moved an Anti air division their which was made up of near fully upgraded troopers they only needed their tech 4 upgrades. You couldn't have gone the long way round to get him I was at the only other causeway, Rushing Phreak Now that i've seen how I can do a rush without jeprodising my style i think i'll start using it a lot more, I wouldn't mind a match report of what happened after i left. and indeed a write up from someone elses point of view.

Admiral Vostok
09-06-2004, 09:14 AM
Reviewing the recording, there were many things I did wrong in that final game. My resource management was terrible, my defenses were porrly planned, my workers were horribly vulnerable and my unit production wasn't thought out. When the combined attack from Viceroy and pbguy came along, there was nothing I could do to halt it. Viceroy, you disconnected right as you'd finished munching through my main base; pbguy went on to root out my secondary bases but due to my terrible resource management my attempts to rebuild from these bases were futile anyway.

The other two games we had started could have been great if my game hadn't crashed. I was on pbguy's team both teams, which is an advantage already, but I was also doing things a lot better than in the last game. In the first game I was able to harass Viceroy quite a fair bit, and was on my way to massing my army when the game crashed. In the second game I managed to hold off several double-teams form Viceroy and lukeiamyourdad, so I was feeling pretty good, but again the crashing game stopped our fun.

DK_Viceroy
09-06-2004, 10:11 AM
Actually Vostok in PB's words you were "Porked" His Intervention delayed the inetivtable.

Can someone post up a reccording of that game the last one not the other two.

I'm lad i discovered for myself how to rush I think it completes my style perfectly. I need only perfect it.

:bdroid2: Me and My Droids shall Enjoy Experimenting on you:bdroid2:

Admiral Vostok
09-06-2004, 11:12 AM
pbguy's help at the start against you was invaluable, but while he was wiping out saber I was pretty much unaided against the combined efforts of you and lukeiamyourdad, which is what I was referring to.

DK_Viceroy
09-06-2004, 11:20 AM
Still though berfore we lost you my Combo was horribly effective against you

AA Troopers And Heavy Mech Destroyers sliced through Air and Strikes Like A Hot Knife Through Butter.

Admiral Vostok
09-06-2004, 11:34 AM
Indeed they do. I needed bombers, I'm not sure how good they would have been against the combo, but I still needed them.

saberhagen
09-06-2004, 11:37 AM
Actually vostok raided PB several times but then i Moved an Anti air division their which was made up of near fully upgraded troopers they only needed their tech 4 upgrades.

T4? I was talking about late T2/early T3 when I was in a trooper war with pbguy and Vostok had air. Things do happen before T4... ;)

DK_Viceroy
09-06-2004, 11:41 AM
Why do you assuma that I meant at Tech 4 Stage I meant that i hadn't gotten to tech 4 when i moved them there i was only just barely in tech 3 But i had a large amount of Production and Reserach Facilities so I upgraded real quick since I was expecting the Air Raid sirens to go any minute. Stranmge that I didn't get raided even once.

pbguy1211
09-06-2004, 12:08 PM
Still though berfore we lost you my Combo was horribly effective against you

AA Troopers And Heavy Mech Destroyers sliced through Air and Strikes Like A Hot Knife Through Butter.

Yeah, but you guys left saber alone and I smoked him. I got his CC, turret, nursery, and his holocron. I had a ton of nurseries and I was coming to Vostok's aid when he got disconnected.
So at not killing Vostok entirely, you had forsaken saberhagen. His score I think was under 2000 at the time and Vostok's was about 5000. While you harassed him, you failed to kill him.

DK_Viceroy
09-06-2004, 12:13 PM
That's nothing unusual Though he neraly always gets smoked but he can usually hold his own too.

pbguy1211
09-06-2004, 02:12 PM
The point is he's better than you, and Vostok isn't as good as me. It just wasn't a great strategy on your part to let him die and to not totally whoop on Vostok. I completely destroyed saber's base and you barely put a dent in Vostok. He was at least in T3 with a shield and a fort up on his side of the river. And saber had nothing. And the forces you kept sending weren't getting through after awhile.

lukeiamyourdad
09-06-2004, 02:27 PM
I guess I'm the one to blame for not destroying Vostok completely. He was pretty much gone. I should have pressed on.
And I totally forgot about saber...sorry mate...

pbguy1211
09-06-2004, 05:23 PM
He wasn't gone... but he was definately behind you two. He still had "ample workers" left ;)
And with saber out of the way I would have been able to change the brunt of my attack to one of you (probably luke since he was closer and I could make a new foward base in saber's old grounds.

Admiral Vostok
09-06-2004, 07:23 PM
Yes, I certainly wasn't gone at any stage of that second game (until I was actually gone in the sense of my game crashed).
Weakened? Yes.
Struggling? Not particularly.
Gone? Not at all.

Viceroy was overjoyed at the fact his Mech Destroyer and AA Trooper combo had damaged my army, but he had nothing to take down my fort and I was already starting to mass bombers. Luke, your initial mass trooper rush was a bit of a concern, especially when Viceroy showed up in support, but after I survived that through pbguy's intervention I didn't have much trouble deflecting the rest of your raiding attempts. Pbguy is right, you really should have been helping saberhagen against the stronger player instead of double-teaming the weaker player.

But since that game was over before it's time there isn't much point dwelling on it.

DK_Viceroy
09-06-2004, 11:00 PM
That Actually wasn't the Combo i came up with for the seventeenth time now. do i need to say it a 18th? I didn't use my combo because I already had mech destroyers and AA troopers and felt like Anhialating an army. I thought it easier in the long run than being raided

Admiral Vostok
09-07-2004, 07:14 AM
Well it was the combo that hurt me. I don't know what other combo you're talking about, that was the only one you sent at me.

DK_Viceroy
09-07-2004, 08:57 AM
:bdroid2: I didn't get a chance to use my combo :bdroid1: you've seen the shadows of the future in the last match:bdroid2:

Admiral Vostok
09-07-2004, 10:35 AM
Well obviously I was talking about the combo you actually used :rolleyes: I didn't really think it was necessary to explain that. Why would I even comment on the combo you didn't use? :eyeraise: :confused:

DK_Viceroy
09-07-2004, 10:44 AM
:bdroid2:Because:bdroid2:

Admiral Vostok
09-13-2004, 06:27 AM
Okay, posting in the proper thread this time...

Sunday, September 13
Turnout was only slightly more than the Saturday games, but much more satisfying games were had, in my opinion. At least the first game we played had everyone managing to say connected!

The first game saw saberhagen (Rebels) and DMUK (Gungans) on a team up against Viceroy, Phreak and myself with our usual civs. Saber was next to Viceroy, so early in the game he made some very successful rushes which forced Viceroy to abandon his base and run away to the pocket between myself and Phreak. I'd only managed to grab a single holocron - Viceroy had the other and DMUK had three. However, trading between our team was intense. Hordes of hover freighters swarmed in and out of our bases, keeping our nova supplies very healthy. Once I was in tech 3 with some decent air I decided to take back Viceroy's old base. DMUK had built a colony there, but it was gone soon and Viceroy and I began some intensive mining operations. There was a huge patch of nova there, but it was slightly close to saber and after a while his attacks on our workers became stronger. I'd built up a considerable army, so I moved it into range, and prepared for attack. Up until now, Saber had been executing strikes against me not with A-Wings as pbguy would do, but with X-Wings, as they stand a much better chance against my fighters. He'd only made a single attack with mounted troopers, which was also vastly different to how pbguy uses Rebels. Saber was air whoring almost as much as me, and I think he may have even had more fighters than me. Fortunately his attacks against me had given me the idea of sending a horde of AA Troopers along for support, and combined with my fighters, bombers and strike mechs, I managed to wade my way through the heavy opposition saber threw at me. Soon I was in the heart of his base and he resigned.

I finished mopping up while Viceroy and Phreak turned their attentions to DMUK. He'd built up quite the defensive system, but by now Viceroy had gotten spynet - this is Viceroy's new favourite thing to get. Soon later Phreak followed suite and also had purchased Spynet. I was spending too much nova on my army, and much of my traders had been lost after a pummel drop from DMUK, so I couldn't afford it yet, but I massed some traders in preparation.

Fortunately Viceroy could tell me the parts that were weak in DMUK's defences, and my first attack against DMUK came from his unprotected rear - it had recently been safe due to saber's presence, but was no longer so. Just as I was about to attack, DMUK executed another pummel drop in my base! Fortunately Phreak wiped them out before they could do too much damage. At this time quite an interesting development had occurred - both Viceroy and Phreak were whoring air! Having Confederacy and Federation air en masse is not a common sight. While Phreak and Viceroy kept DMUK busy on the northern front, I snuck in behind DMUK's base and attacked. I wasn't particularly successful - DMUK could quickly mobilise troops to his defense, and the large number of shield generators he had made things quite difficult. I made a second attempt through the back but again to no avail.

At about this time I finally got Spynet, and from then on DMUK was in trouble. Although he was heavily dug in, his occaisional pummel drops were getting quite annoying. With spynet I could see clearly the weaknesses Viceroy had signalled to me earlier, and soon Phreak and I were both streaming fighters and bombers in through the weak corner of DMUK's base. As Viceroy's air also joined the fray, things were all over for DMUK and he resigned.

Since it had taken us so long to defeat DMUK, saberhagen had grown tired of waiting for us to finish so he had left - sorry saber! Phreak also had to leave so it was down to just Viceroy, DMUK and me again. None of us were really keen for another epic like the one on Saturday, so we just played a small map. I took up Trade Federation, fearing we would go into another battle of attrition and my Naboo wouldn't be able to cut it, while DMUK was Empire and Viceroy his usual Confederacy.

The game started out well, and soon I was ready to send a combined force of Troopers, Strike Mechs and Mech Destroyers for a minor attack on Viceroy. The attack was going nicely when Viceroy disconnected! Ah well, DMUK and I decided to keep going. I sent in artillery to destroy most of Viceroy's base to establish my own presence there, and in particular I kept his spaceport standing so I could get some trading done. Unfortunately, DMUK was rapidly expanding at a greater rate then I, and my presence in Viceroy's old base was soon removed. Now DMUK was benefitting from the trading, and the only holocron I had was the one I'd stolen from Viceroy. Well I began building up some heavy defenses, but DMUK had about four fifths of the map to my one fifth, and with four holocrons and a trade route going, it was only a matter of time before I was a goner. I tried to make an attack on DMUK, but he wiped out my considerable army to a man, then promptly attacked with another force from the completely opposite direction. By now I'd exhausted most of my nova, so I began massing Mech Destroyers and Strike Mechs, but it was too little to contend with DMUK and soon he'd pretty much wiped out my base, so I resigned.

Decent games, but some of the regulars like pbguy and Nitro were missed... though it was a refreching change to play without the threat of pbguy constantly hanging over us!

DarthMaulUK
09-13-2004, 10:12 AM
another great write up Vostok /pats on back

When the three of you were attacking my base, it was hard work defending all areas. The north was extremely weak as it was water, so i just focused on a smaller area to defend, which did its job VERY well.

However, running low on carbon, you guys having spynet made it all but impossible to try and hide workers to mine carbon elsewhere.

good fun though

DMUK

swphreak
09-13-2004, 11:07 AM
Now I remember what I should have done. Built a bunch of shipyards, and pound you with artillery ships :p

DK_Viceroy
09-13-2004, 11:09 AM
I prefer Team Games with Confederacy because the Trade Bonus really does seem to make a Difference and since it's my Team Bonus it certainly Did help out, Though from ym Experimenting with Air Whoring the only Confederacy Air I think i'll bother Whoring will be Geonosian Warriors which i did start doing at once but this time round I stuck to my Speciality, Troopers and used Mechs as support, The ground force i had sent through the same route i had alerted to vostok was succesful in carving a small area up and pinning down forces and survived for a while.

My Reeks ran amok for quite a bit Animals were everywhere I could put em.

I could have survived aqt my old base but I know when to run and evacuate elsewhere and when to stay and fight, especially since the earlier it is the weaker I am I only really started booming late on after everybody else had, I was quite amazed that DMUK hadn't found my base or saber since both were perilously close and a half hearted attack could have seen me off.

Admiral Vostok
09-13-2004, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by StarWarsPhreak
Now I remember what I should have done. Built a bunch of shipyards, and pound you with artillery ships :p Oh yeah! I should have done that too! Must remember Naboo Navy, and my success with them in the past...

swphreak
09-13-2004, 09:10 PM
yeah, both of us whoring Artileries and AA, we could really demolish the water side of the base. and open up some new ways to invade.

saberhagen
09-14-2004, 06:44 AM
If I'd known DMUK could hold out for that long I might've pulled back and tried to rebuild, but I thought we were well and truly screwed. I was running out of nova and didn't have the pop slots to keep everyone off. I would've probably needed 100 fighters to get on top of Vostok's air power, but I also needed MDs to see off his strikes and Phreaks destroyers, and loads of repeaters to hold back Viceroy's repeaters and reeks. Even with DMUK's mechs and repeaters supporting me, I just couldn't hold all 3 of you back.

DK_Viceroy
09-14-2004, 09:25 AM
I suppose it's fortunate for you Saber that you wern't too close to the water I had extensive naval facilities on that side of the map and they could easily have been used for making ships of war opposed to Utility Trawlers. Strike Mechs and MD's could have held back me and Phreak quite easily.

DMUK really stayed in his base after you were gone he did quite a few pummel raids but that was really it, You could have built up quite nicely that area were vostok had been able to sneak in if you had built up there DM would have had an invincible fortress that we propably wouldn't have been able to knock down.

saberhagen
09-14-2004, 09:37 AM
But I was rebels so my strikes would've sucked, and anyway, if I 'd made enough strikes and MDs to hold you two off, Vostok's air would still have done for me cos I wouldn't have had the pop slots free for enough fighters even if I'd had the nova to build them. Now if I'd had enough resources stockpiled to be able to delete all my workers things might've been different. In my dreams... ;)

Admiral Vostok
09-15-2004, 07:52 AM
Well you put up quite a fight there, Saber. I seem to remember all of my Strike Mechs and AA Troopers were destroyed to a man, and all my cannons were destroyed, but by then I'd managed to neutralise most of your defenses, so I sent in new bombers and fighters to finish things off. The thing was that I was at my pop limit, but had a whole lot of units queued up ready to replace my casualties :D

DK_Viceroy
09-15-2004, 08:27 AM
Well for lack of a better thing to say Saber does seem to fight like a cornered animal most of the time.

Admiral Vostok
09-15-2004, 12:37 PM
I wouldn't say that at all; it certainly wasn't how he was fighting in that game. His Fighter attacks were scary even for me, so much so I built a whole heap of AA Troopers to support my fighters, which I don't do all that often. Right at the end he might have been a cornered animal, but aren't we all when our base is under seige?

DK_Viceroy
09-15-2004, 11:47 PM
You misunderstood me i meant that he never gave up and fought to the last while some of us resign.

:bdroid2: I mention No Names :bdroid2:

saberhagen
09-16-2004, 05:47 AM
But I did resign!

DK_Viceroy
09-16-2004, 06:31 AM
I didn't realise i'd already began schemeing for the assault on DM

Admiral Vostok
09-16-2004, 08:49 AM
Well that was a pretty odd statement considering you weren't even in the final battle with saberhagen. DMUK had just performed a particularly devastating pummel/artillery drop on your forward base, so you fled back to your main base and began preparing for an assault on him long before saber's final moments.

pbguy1211
09-16-2004, 11:39 AM
*Heats up the stove in order to prepare a fresh @$$ whoopin' for DK this weekend...* ;)

DK_Viceroy
09-17-2004, 01:15 AM
That forward base had outlived it's usefulness it could have been rebuilt in an instant since my CC was intact but i just let the place become a mining town.

That will be interesting everyone V DM and PB certainly would be an interesting match

saberhagen
09-20-2004, 03:33 AM
Too many games - it's all a blur!

Saturday we started with me, pbguy, viceroy and phreak. Viceroy had to leave early on in the first game because of a power cut! So we started again with me and phreak against pbguy. We lost. pb did a turret push on my carbon patch, then when I'd set up another carbon centre on the other side of my base, he managed to get a load of troopers in it and cut off my carbon flow. Meanwhile my troopers didn't do too much damage to his base. I retreated some workers to phreak's base but it was all over fairly quickly.

After pbguy went, Connemara turned up and we had a ffa with her, me and phreak. I won easily and it probably wasn't much fun for anyone.

Sunday was quite different, not least because pb can't do Sundays any more. First game was me (Empire), Connemara (TF) and Phreak (Rebels) against Vostok (Naboo) and Viceory (Confeds) (all the Vs have to be on the same team!). It was a motherlode and I was pocket, which could have made things difficult because both my wings were weaker than their opponents. I decided to build all my military buildings in Phreak's base, which was on the side near Viceroy, as I thought Viceroy was more likely to attack earlier than Vostok. As it turned out he didn't trooper rush, but Phreak's house wall would have kept him out anyway. I went T3 and started building lots of strikes. When I was ready, Phreak deleted some of his wall to let me out, and I went charging through Viceroy's base slaughtering workers all over the place. His defences were overwhelmed and the strikes just kept coming. Vostok came to help with lots of fighters. Although he had too many for my fighters and aa troopers, I managed to lure them away by sending half of my strikes straight into his base. Meanwhile I was forward building a heavy factory, which I used to send pummels into Viceroy's base. By the time my pummels really got going, I had enough aa to keep Vostok's fighters off and Viceroy had to abandon his original base, which I levelled and moved into myself.

Viceroy built a new base a bit further back, behind a narrow gap which he'd walled off. I built a fort not far off the wall and started building more factories, but I laid off attacking as my main focus was on booming. I went T4 after about an hour and started upgrading mechs and heavies. Nova was no problem at all as I had plenty of patches to mine around my own base and in the territory I'd taken from Viceroy. I never even had to trade, and there was still a huge nova patch in front of my fort which was untouched at the end of the game!

As all my military was concentrated in the forward base, I didn't have much protection for my workers in my old base. Vostok eventually took adavantage of this with some big air raids, but Phreak had been air whoring as well and came to rescue me before I lost too many workers. At some point my econ got out of balance and I ran out of carbon, but it didn't last long.

Back at the forward base, I had loads of heavy art pounding Viceroy's wall, ready to let in a stream of FU strikes and MDs. Confed repeaters are good, but they didn't cause me too many problems. Vostok kept coming in with air support but I had a mass of aa mobiles and troopers and fighter support from Phreak, so he never made much impact. It was a hard fight, but I kept advancing with mechs killling everything that moved on the ground, and a mixture of art, pummels and mounties killing everything that didn't. eventually I met up with Connemara's forces which were working their way through Vostok's base from the other side, while Phreak's air was everywhere. Total carnage! But it was a real team effort. We worked well together and seemed to have picked the right civs. I'd forgotten just how good Empire mech whoring is! And with an air whoring ally to keep Vostok at bay we couldn't be stopped...

Connemara had to go after that, so the second game was me and Phreak vs the Vs (same civs again). This was a rivers type map, with lots of islands separated by shallows. Phreak and Vostok were opposite each other and both house walled their shallows, so no rushing there. Viceroy didn't wall so I started strike rushing him as soon as I was T3. I thought Vostok was a bigger threat becasue his score was higher, but I couldn't get to him except through Viceroy's base. Again Vostok sent fighters to help, and again I lured them off back to his own base. After a few waves of strikes, Viceroy was making nothing but grenaders. Once I'd got him on the defensive, I did a fort push onto his territory. The first fort didn't last long as Vostok had a navy, and his cruisers kept pounding my forward base. My MDs and Phreak's air kept seeing them off, but they kept coming back, so I had to keep rebuilding things. Vostok was also sending air against my base, but they didn't do much, again the combination of my aa and phreak's fighters was too much for them. Whenever I had a fort up I kept pumping out dark troopers. I'd forgotten how tough they are. They kept running around Viceroy's base causing havoc, and nothing could kill them! Eventually we got the upper hand, and Viceroy pulled back into Vostok's base while my pummels ate his old base.

At this point we controlled most of the map, with Vostok and Viceroy on one island in the bottom corner, but it was a very heavily defended island. Both crossings onto it from my land were heavily walled, with a fort to defend each one. I'd expanded into the central island, and Vostok missed an opportunity to wipe out all my undefended carbon workers there. By the time he attacked, I'd just started making AA troopers and managed to see him off. However, my attempts to break into the island weren't getting very far. Every time I tried to knock down the defences with cannons Vostok sent a suicidal air attack to take them out, while Viceroy was making a comeback and sending lots of repeaters to defend the western side. There was less nova on this map, and I had a severe shortage of it until my trade got going (which I forgot to do early enough). Vostok resigned unexpectedly. I'm not sure if it was because Phreak did something that I didn't see or because he had to go, but the game didn't kast long after that.

Admiral Vostok
09-20-2004, 05:37 AM
Yes, apologies to everyone but my presence was required elsewhere so I had to leave early. I think it's unlikely we could have won that one anyway... Viceroy and I were crammed on the same island, and although we had plenty of Nova going from our strong trade route, I had already mined just about all of the Carbon on the island. I'd put up heavy defenses since I knew I'd have to leave any moment, but I knew we wouldn't be able to win that one.

Probably the toughest thing in both the games was Phreak's air. I think in the Rebels Phreak has really found a great civ to expand on his already flourishing skills. The Trade Federation with it's simplicity was just holding him back. Now I probably could have easily dealt with his Fighters myself, but when combined with saber's AA Troopers and Mobiles it made things extremely hard.

In the first game Saber's early strik rush was devastating to Viceroy, and from then on saber just kept sending more and more units into battle at Viceroy's base. He was extremely well defended against air, but a couple of times I made massive dents in his forces by using a combined fighter/bomber/strike combo, and had it not been for Phreak's fighters I may have given Viceroy some breathing room free from Saber, if only for a moment.

I had intended at my first opportunity to drop some workers into the motherlode region to capitalise on the fish there, because I was having a bit of trouble with my food intake. Unfortunately, what with saber's distraction, Phreak got there first. He built a whole lot of AA cruisers there which made things very hard if I wanted to continue sneak attacks against him and saber, which had been slightly successful up until this point.

On hindsight what I should have done was send a full army against Connemara's base instead of into battle with saber. Connemara was pretty quiet for the whole game, and an attack on her would have meant Phreak would need to dispatch his fighters to help out. I was well equipped against fighters, what with an army of aa troopers in addition to my fighters, so I probably could have taken any force that either Connemara or Phreak could throw at me. This in turn probably would have meant saber at least focussing on me instead of Viceroy. But hindsight as they say is always 20/20.

Once Phreak discovered the power of the A-Wing, the game was pretty much over for us.

The second game saw virtually the same tactics used by all - saber's early strike rush, followed by a build-up of a huge forward base, and Phreak with overwhelming air support. However, this time since we were on a rivers map I could build Cruisers, which I do love. My Cruisers were quite a thorn in saber's forward base, but Phreak's air was causing me too much trouble. Why I didn't build a support navy with Frigates and AA Ships I can't say - this probably would have helped a lot.

Things began looking really bad when Viceroy retreated to the back of my island. I'd almost exhausted the carbon on the island, so although our defenses were strong it was only a matter of time before things turned sour. Unfortunately I had to leave in a hurry, so the game was ultimately unfinished, but it was certainly going to be an uphill struggle for the V Team.

swphreak
09-20-2004, 07:55 AM
Yeah, I was worried about you stomping through Mara's base. I was working my way around building AA turrents, and then to build defenses near her base. But then we started pushing hard against Vs. The A-Wings are nice. I wiped out most of Vostok's workers before he responded, but he got revenge on my havercrafts and saber's workers. I had a bunch of resources, so I decided to mine the center with AA ships, and build mobile AA to throw at Vostok. Once I had enough fighters to overwhelm Vostok, I sent them to his base. Took out his power cores, and destroyed whatever came out of his air bases. I had a Air Speeder/Fighter combo coming in to help saber with Vicery's army, but then the game ended. I didn;t use any bombers like I should have. I think the game would been a few minutes shorter if I did.

The second game was a bit tougher. I'm learning the usefulness of prefabs as cheap walls. I filled up the gaps to me which also has a side-effect, my ships couldn't pass through them. So once saber got his little base by Viceroy, I sent a bunch of workers to build my own fort and shipyard. I didn;t get to use my shipyard a lot, Vostok took care of it, and our shield generator. I promtly rebuilt and repaired Saber's nearly destroy mehc center, and built the air bases. I began Bomber whoring. By the time Vostok left, I had about 1.75 full group of Fighters, and 2 full groups of bombers ready to pound a way into Vostok's base.

It's a good thing neither attempted a hovercraft raid. I was toally relying on that to even survive. at 10 nova per drop off, I had a LOT going back and forth.

Fun game, hopefully Battlefront and Fable won;t keep me too occupied next week.

DK_Viceroy
09-20-2004, 08:43 AM
If it wasn't for the fact that I had seen the Catastrophe that changing civs can bring about i'd serisuoly consider changing civs to an as of yet undisclosed Civ.

:bdroid2: I think it's time I Train myself to rush mercilessly.:bdroid2:

Admiral Vostok
09-20-2004, 11:15 AM
I think you just need to be more prepared for rushes, Viceroy. A turret or two protecting your workers would have been priceless against saber's Strike rushes. Not that I can talk, I need to get into the habit of protecting my workers better as well.

saberhagen
09-20-2004, 11:52 AM
True, garrisoned turrets are death to strikes. They don't take much damage from CCs, only turrets.

swphreak
09-20-2004, 09:02 PM
I need to get my workers out a bit faster, and actually have some defensive force built faster. I usually don't build a troop center til right before I go t2, and then I just used all my food to research...

Admiral Vostok
09-21-2004, 03:56 AM
I usually build my first Troop Center while I'm going to T2. However I'm usually one of the first to T2. Then I pump out the Troopers.

No prizes for guessing the first building I build in T2... :wan:

And no prizes for guessing my first T3 building either... :naboo:

DK_Viceroy
09-21-2004, 07:02 AM
Indeed I must work on deflecting rushes if i'm not interfered with or not interfered with that Much I am Deadly mid and late game. If i'm interfered with it takes time to get a steady intake of food that stopped me from trying my Steamroller strategy during our first game because i had enough carbon but food was a problem.

pbguy1211
09-24-2004, 05:46 PM
first t2 building? a war center.

first t3 building? a second CC.

DK_Viceroy
09-25-2004, 02:06 AM
For me it's naturally a spaceport followed quickly on the heels of a war center in T2

T3 is usually a Research center and second 3 and fourth CC since i usually try to build them at the same time.

saberhagen
09-25-2004, 04:27 AM
There's really not much point having a spaceport in T2, unless you're trying to go for a fast T3 by selling your ore, but that's quite risky. If you're pocket, it can be useful to get holonet when you get to T3, but wings should just be trooper rushing the nearest enemy, regardless of what anyone else is doing. Trading is a waste of carbon until the advanced stages of a boom.

DK_Viceroy
09-25-2004, 10:02 AM
I prefer to be ready and anyway if you slowly build up yor Trading force it doesn't affect you as much

Admiral Vostok
09-25-2004, 12:42 PM
Saturday September 25
The first game saw pbguy and StarWarsPhreak (both Rebels) against saberhagen (Empire), Viceroy (Confederacy) and myself (Naboo). The map was Rivers, with Viceroy in the pocket, saber near pbguy and me near Phreak.

pbguy was pounding saberhagen from pretty early on, but saber was surviving with support from Viceroy. I was keeping Phreak busy for the most part, but soon the distress call came from saber. Pbguy's usual Mounty/AWing force had arrived en masse. I sent my fighters over straight away, and although pbguy threw some Fighters into the mix I managed to route them. While Viceroy and saber kept pbguy busy at the front, I zoomed around the back and hit pbguy's econ quickly, and munched through several AA Troopers and Fighters that tried to see me off. The annoyance I was causing resulted in pbguy resorting to insults, something I hadn't experienced before.

With pbguy quite annoyed, I switched my concentration back to Phreak. I'd had some Cruisers in production and soon I had a full contingent each of Fighters, Bombers and Strike Mechs, and with a handful of Cruisers I took to bombarding Phreak's base. He wasn't too happy, sending all the air he had at the Cruisers, only to have them swatted by my Fighters. With his forward Fortress down, I moved around the side and bombarded the prefabs blocking my path, then moved on to take out one of pbguy's Fortresses that was close by. At about this time we had the first out of sync error. Frustrated, we all returned to the restored game. For some reason pbguy's insults continued whilst we waited for the game to be uploaded to everyone, so I guess I must really have annoyed him!

With the game back, I continued in the bombardment of Phreak's base. Only a couple of minutes had gone by when the second out of sync error occurred.

We restored again, and after a short while most of Phreak's defences were down and I sent in the bombers. He had two Fortresses close by protected by the same shield with an AA Turret there too, which caused an awful lot of grief to my air force, but Phreak resigned when my Strike Mechs showed up.

With Phreak gone I began replenishing my air force, which had almost been wiped out to a man on Phreak's Fortress group. Almost up to full strength and looking at where to begin the attack on pbguy, we had yet another out of sync error.

Pbguy vanished from the IRC room before the rest of us returned, so I figured he had quit in disgust. As such we were unable to restore the game again, so instead started a second one.

In this, the V Team was together again, with our usual civs, against saber and Phreak with their same civs again too. Saber rushed to TL3 so quickly Viceroy and I didn't even realise it, and before we knew it he had mounted a Strike rush against Viceroy. Reeling, Viceroy resigned right then. I managed to hold off saber's attacks for a while, but once he'd built a shielded Fortress on the edge of my base complete with Mech Factory, I knew I was done for. He sent in some Pummels to finish me off. Meanwhile Phreak had been determined to give me a taste of my own medicine by building up a Navy, but saber had defeated me before he could show up to deal any damage.

Ultimately the Out Of Sync Errors spoiled the first game, which would have been quite satisfying had we been able to play through to the end. And the second game was over so quickly it was also a bit of a disappointment. Hopefully things will be better for me tomorrow.

DK_Viceroy
09-25-2004, 01:47 PM
:bdroid2: I can only hope we get the chance to restore that game sometime i wanted to test out my Grand Drop:o :bdroid2:

Admiral Vostok
09-25-2004, 01:57 PM
Somehow I doubt it since pbguy hates losing.

swphreak
09-25-2004, 04:03 PM
I hate rivers... damn cruisers...

FroZticles
09-25-2004, 07:44 PM
Restoring is not worth it, It will just OOS 5 mins into the restore. I wish LA would patch this game one last time to fix up these minor bugs.

Admiral Vostok
09-26-2004, 06:04 AM
Well it doesn't happen that often, really. In all the games we've played it's only happened in 2 or 3 of them.

DK_Viceroy
09-26-2004, 09:03 AM
And if everyone will please remeber the Ice Lake epic had several OOS's as well if you all remeber and Because of that i've taken OOS's to be a good omen

Admiral Vostok
09-26-2004, 09:48 AM
Just wait until we have an epic where you are on the side that doesn't win. Maybe then you won't look on them so fondly ;)

DK_Viceroy
09-26-2004, 11:03 PM
But Vostok since you rarely learn from your mistakes I have no fears of that.

saberhagen
09-27-2004, 09:38 AM
There's no point trying to finish that game because it was pretty much finished anyway. There was no way pbguy was going to beat 3 of us once it got to that stage. We had more territory, more resources and more pop slots. Weight of numbers would have done for him eventually, unless we all did something really really stupid. To be honest I find protracted T4 wars pretty tedious.

DK_Viceroy
09-27-2004, 09:53 AM
:bdroid1::bdroid2:Heretic Heretic Kill the Heretic Quick Off With His Head.:bdroid2::bdroid1:

swphreak
09-28-2004, 08:31 AM
Well, since Vostok hasn't written a Battle report yet, I'll write a halfassed one... that is if I remember everything:

Saturday:

It was me and pbguy vs Vostok, DK, and saber. Vostok basically harassed me the whole time while I was trying to get defenses out. PB guy was stomping saber at one point from what I saw over holonet. Then Vostok spawns Navy Cruisers and proceeds to demolish my base. By this time, we've OOS'd like 2 times, and I kept telling them it's gonna do it again cuz the player colors and teams were screwed up. Once my base was destroyed beyond repair, I went ahead and dropped. Nothing else I could do.

I don't remember if I played a second game... so... on to Sunday!

I think we played a first game, but I remember litle of it :/

The next game was random civs/teams, but Vostok and DK were on different teams. I ended up with Confed and on DK's team with Naboo. Vostok(Rep) and Mara(Wookiees) were together. The first Tech levels went smoothly, I had early warning of Vostok's clones due to my house wall, so I pumped out some super battledroids. Then once I got to T3, I started to build the grand army of the Confederacy! Which consisted of a mix of Strike Mechs, Mech Destroyers, a few cannons, AA, and troopers. While I sent that on it's way, I built another group with more anti-infantry in mind with more cannons. DK was doing a good job air whoring and "mixing it up." We went for Vostok first, my cannons took out chunks, and DK's forces swamred his base. Eventually, Vostok had to make a new base in Mara's.

At this point, I got Spynet. It was only 5k and I was doing enough trading/mining. I began to rebuild my army for Mara. I thought what the hell, and built a lot of Assault mechs, then some more cannons, and GeoWarrior swuad. I also put out a forward base, painfully close to her base. I was afraid they'd attack it. That was gonna be used mainly to send in more units int he frenzy. Also right after I finished the fort there, I secretly built like 4 Air Cruisers to lie in wait.

Then the siege on Mara begins. Vostok's little outpost was in the corner of her base, but for some reason he didn't build a Command Center, so when I killed his workers, he was kinda... screwed. He apparently had enough stockpiled resources to make a lot of troopers. My cannons attack from the bottom, and DK goes around top where here prefabs are. My forces were kinda getting slaughtered, but my geowarriors sorta added to confusion and frenzy. Mara's squad of cruisers were attacking from a distance. So I pop out my Air Cruisers and destroy the whole bunch. Then I let them loose to destroy everything in sight. I think they killed quite a few of DK's men :xp:

Yeah, I have bad memory, so Vostok can write a better one when he gets around to it.

Admiral Vostok
09-28-2004, 06:35 PM
Indeed I had not written a Battle Report, I was curious to see if anyone would write one if I didn't :D Thank you for doing so, Phreak.

On Sunday we didn't have a first game like you thought, our first game was the random civ game. I can't believe how appallingly I played in that one... Viceroy was taunting me no end because of my poor effort. It happened pretty much as Phreak described.

With that game over, Phreak and Mara had to leave, so Viceroy and I decided to ally against three computers. The game was going alright until something quite strange happened - the game acted like someone was being dropped, and although I could see all the messages Viceroy was sending he wasn't getting any of mine. Quite bizarre. So that was it for that game.

So a fairly unsatisfying couple of games for me. One I got totally creamed, the other was interrupted.

pbguy1211
09-29-2004, 02:33 PM
I was so damn tired of those OOS's that I wasn't coming back. And as saber put it, the #'s were against me at that point. I kept whooping on saber and slapping the crap out of anything DK sent at me. But I can't take on 3 people all on my own, when 1 of them is able to get to t4 untouched and sends an army of all FU air at me. I truely have no shot at that point.
No offense to phreak, but give me a teammate who is fairly decent, and I could have done it. And while phreak has gotten better, he still isn't good enough yet to hang with anyone else in our little "league" as it were. :(

swphreak
09-29-2004, 04:14 PM
*beats pbguy with a nightstick*

Me and DK laid waste to Vostok and Mara.

And I still think you would have lost even if you had DK on your team, instead of me. 750 vs 500, unless you manage to whipe me out first.

pbguy1211
09-29-2004, 06:48 PM
phreak, I love ya... but you never have an army of over 50 (unless it's workers! ;) )

swphreak
09-29-2004, 07:46 PM
I think it's just when you play. I know I had more than 50 in DK/me vs Vostok/Mara.

Admiral Vostok
09-29-2004, 07:47 PM
Unfortunately Phreak seems to not play his best when you're in the game, pbguy. You should have seen the size of the army he had in that motherlode game where it was me and Viceroy vs saber, Mara and Phreak. His air whoring was rivalling me and his huge armada made it impossible for anyone to take the motherlode.

Thus we have found the way to defeat pbguy: kill his team-mate and he'll give up! ;)

DK_Viceroy
09-30-2004, 12:39 AM
Not nessacerily I remeber a certain 2 V 3 which I was on PB's team and none of you even so much as made a move against me and because of that No Numerical superiority helped you though since I use Numerical Superiority Tactics ala my Steamroller Tactics that's not suprising anyway.

In case your forgetting who was propping up Saber's defence with copius amounts of Super Battle Droids.

Not a bad battlereport phreak though i wonder if Vostok will come up with one for them as well his seem a lot more detailed and pick up on a lot of things that i usually miss.

Admiral Vostok
09-30-2004, 07:49 AM
Phreak's was plenty detailed enough, you don't need another one from me. Especially since nothing much happened to me in particular: I came, I sucked, I was conquered.

JCNGL_Connemara
10-03-2004, 02:10 PM
Hey guys! Figured I'd drop by. I feel bad horning in on all your games seeing as I don't ever post here, but I am bad about posting at MSG boards. I only post at one, and have been for like 5 years.

So anyways, the games are a *lot* of fun, I felt really bad about ducking out of today's, hopefully I won't next week if I can make that game.

Um, I was also posting to let you all know you're welcome to join my GBG gaming group for any games you want to. We're not really a league or anything, though we used to be known as JCNGL we're basically just a bunch of crazy gamers, and lately we've been doing a lot of GBG, and I mentioned you guys to one of 'em and he says, "well, invite them to join us!" and I think "egads, why did I not think of this before?"

So I don't know if you're interested or not, but if you want, I can keep you updated on when we're playing and all. There's no major structure to our gaming schedules, but for anyone who's interested, give me your AIM/MSNYIM or ICQ so I can contact ya!

swphreak
10-05-2004, 08:56 AM
I wasn;t here sunday, was out of town, and playing Evil Genius.... so is anyone gonna write a report?

DK_Viceroy
10-05-2004, 09:49 AM
Next to no one showed up.

Connemara My MSN is my name at hotmail so it's not that hard to figure out.

Admiral Vostok
10-05-2004, 11:36 AM
Thanks for the invite Connemara. Your presence is always appreciated at the forum games, and if you dropped by the forums again it would be appreciated too.

This Saturday I wasn't there for the first game, so perhaps I should leave that battle reporting to someone else.

This Sunday was a terrible turn out. Only me, Viceroy and saber showed up, and saber decided he wasn't interested in playing with so few numbers. Viceroy and I decided to do a game with computers, but alas the same problem we had previously happened (where one of I could see Viceroy's messages but he couldn't see mine, or vice-versa). Connemara joined us a bit later but the same problem kept happening, so we just gave up in frustration. The Force was not with us that day.

pbguy1211
10-05-2004, 05:37 PM
Open the chat option from the column on the right hand side. and select your chat options there. you can ignore and listen to specific people there. I may not be able to play saturday, then again... i may. i'll know later in the week.

DK_Viceroy
10-17-2004, 12:10 PM
Today we actually had a decnt Turn out with Phreak who was in his in words "Bizzay" DMUK Vostok and Myself

Our First game which was on a Precipice Map Had me as Purple In the south western corner as the Confederacy. Vostok as Yellow in the eastern corner as the Naboo, and DMUK in the north as grey playing with the Galactic Empire.

The Game Started off slowly to say the least The Map was however rich In nerf's for a change. Where Vostok was first to T2 While i was fast on his heels and DMUK lagging behind in the rear however I found out why to slightly suprising Consequences as he brought to bear a "gentle" rush which he later explained because he had a friend there breathing down his neck. however because of the nerf rich Map I was able to put more workers onto carbon than food so I had a Troop center and a small force ready.

After geting to Tech level 3 a full five minutes before everyone else and Starting to upgrade my troopers in earnest I hunted down DMUK's hiding forces to stop any more hit and fades and advanced my forces to the border where he'd fortified and started to develop while Vostok had gotten to T3 evetually un-hindered and as usual began Air Whoring for a change. Having been pipped to the post by something like 3 seconds to T4 by vostok due to DMUK having done a few more raids on me I began preparing for something I'd never actually done A Pummel Drop this was after Vostok had commenced his assault in the north and I started in the south Having gone back to Grass roots using Mostly troopers Mounties and Artillery wioth some reek's thrown in for some Animal love with the main goal of taking out some AA and causing as much Havoc as possible.

As expected My disposable army was beaten and unexpectadly DMUK counter attacked while I'd just changed my Rally points so that they went to a staging area instead of in my base however I'd started Whoring Geonosian Warrio's so they helped Take out most of his mechs After that I sent in the pummels which caused a bit of Havoc but not as much because He'd been Whoring Mech destroyers. However on the whole he was more defensive than offensive however he did do 2 Huge Pummel drops The one he did on me had the only bad effect of taking out loads of un-needed prefabs because i'd built something like a hundred next to my airbases far away and 2 nerfs I was insulted and Prepared for a Siege and Since I'd gotten Spynet quite early on and DMUK actual;ly though Vostok had been giving me Nova Really the Nerve:p it was easy to plan

He'd forgotten I was confed somehow and I always explouit my Trade Bonus a luxury he didn't have anyway I'd started building a navy and Launched another offensive while Vostok also did in the north and managed to get thoguh and fortify on the other side of the river while I started Econ raiding with Geonosian Warriors and started to land forces on the other side of the river and atack AA turrets to allow me to use Geo's when Vostok launched his offensive with the Customary Sawrm of yellow flies when DMUK had to resign.

On the whole a pretty good Game which somehow I managed to have almost double the amount of nova as vostok and If i could upload the Replay I would because it was good but I felt I'd done badly.

Admiral Vostok
10-17-2004, 01:58 PM
I wouldn't call it a decent turn out - true it was one more than the usual turnout of just me and Viceroy, but far from a decent number.

Anyway, my advance was not unhindered as Viceroy would have you believe. In preparation for the inevitable pummel drop, I'd stationed some mounties around my Command Center, but DMUK's first drop was not pummels: it was strikes and mounties. Well I managed to fend them off since I'd already gotten a considerable air force, but he did manage to kill all of my mounties that were guarding the CC. My biggest mistake was not to replace the guards: a pummel drop later in the game cost me dearly, taking out the Command Center, two Nurseries and two Troop Centers.

I also made one or two flyby raids with my fighters before getting serious. DMUK is certainly the master of defense, his many Sheild Generators, Fortresses and AA Turrets were tricky but I did manage to make a landing on his side of the river. I'd taken a huge chunk out of his defenses, but I needed to be reinforced before continuing. I established a stronghold on his side of the river from where I was able to launch more attacks. My usual force was munching away at his defenses on the East while Viceroy kept him busy on the West. My Cruisers eventually arrived and started destroying his central defenses, and at about that time it was all over.

Certainly our biggest advantage was the trade bonus. If DMUK had someone to trade with things may have been quite different.

DK_Viceroy
10-17-2004, 11:23 PM
Even if he had had an ally to trade with he would have had to have at least as many Hovercraft as me and then half as much more because I doubt he would have gotten a confederacy ally and we do always exploit my trade bonus.

I didn't realise you had been dropped on I was also being harrased by hit and fades. DMUK seems a bit softer with his attacks he'll hit and then fade away no suited for the empire really.

lukeiamyourdad
10-18-2004, 06:16 AM
What month is Ocotboer?

Sorry couldn't resist :p

DK_Viceroy
10-18-2004, 09:46 AM
Where have you been on sunday's?

Where has everyone else been on sundays's

PB we know has work/hell

That game was good I realised Geonosian Warriors were actually indreadibly useful and they Munch through AA troopers So that'll help If i'm allied with an Air whore though Against me You don't build AA troopers unless they're cannon fodder.

DarthMaulUK
10-18-2004, 11:31 AM
Sorry about yesterday.. My net connection decided to just drop. And that was it. Managed to get back on then off for the rest of the evening.

Wasnt a good day for me. I hate when people watch me play games and I had a friend watching what i was doing, asking questions about the game, which distracted me from doing my job! haha.

But, without anyone to trade with, i lost out big time..unlike DK!

Next weekend, the Empire WILL strike back :-p

DMUK

saberhagen
10-18-2004, 12:15 PM
I've been busy with real life, and I'll be away for the next two weeks, so there's no chance of me playing again unitl November.

lukeiamyourdad
10-18-2004, 03:18 PM
Yes there is something called college that keeps you occupied.

Also on Saturday, I had planned a game of Star Wars Battlefront.

Next week is similar though I'll study on Saturday because Sunday is movie day :D

DK_Viceroy
10-18-2004, 11:12 PM
I go to the Equivalent of COllege Sixth Form and still manage then again i do all my homework during my frees:D

Well DM at least he was learning from the person who knows most about the game.

And you are right there i certainly did trade a lot 15 hovercraft with Confederacy Alliance researched means they're stronger and quite a bit faster it meant I could exploit my Trade Bonus to the Max

Though that's nothing new really since every game I get the chance i'll always have either 15, 30 or if Nova's long since ran out 45 but then i'll kill off workers so Hovercraft's arn't eating up Pop Slots

Death To All Wookies

they really sucked the wookies did.

Admiral Vostok
10-19-2004, 09:56 AM
I thought College was the after Sixth Form. Sixth Form = 12th Grade = still High School.

DK_Viceroy
10-19-2004, 10:20 AM
Nope The British System has 6th form and college as the same thing there isn't really that much differnce between the two then you go to university

Admiral Vostok
10-19-2004, 10:58 AM
Oh, well that's the same as the Australian system. I thought College was the equivalent of early University.

DK_Viceroy
10-19-2004, 11:36 PM
Not really you could say it is in a way because you need A-levels or AVCE's to get UCAS points don't asl me much about those because i know only the bare minimum at present.

The main Differnces between sixth form and colleges I think is that Sixth form is usually a continuation but at high school where subjects are a little more limited compared to colleges but you get to stay at the same school while college has a big choice of courses and just for college students so you don't run into year 9's.

For me the nearest college was a 20 minute walk to the nearest Bus or Metro station that actually went to the same area as the nearest college because the nearest bus and metro don't go near the college. so I go to sixth form instead because it had subjects I like and it's a ten minute bike ride their opposed to an hour and a half bike ride.

Admiral Vostok
10-25-2004, 06:33 PM
Back on topic, we finally have some decent battles to report on this week.

Sunday, 24 October, 2004.
Although the turnout was only slightly better than previous weeks, we certainly had some extremely enjoyable games this week.

The first battle saw myself (Naboo) and Viceroy (Confederacy) vs DMUK (Republic) and StarWarsPhreak (Rebels) on a forest map. This battle turned into one of the most epic we've had, though admittedly not as epic as the infamous ice lake battle. The conflict didn't really get going until TL3, when DMUK sent a small strike force to attack the V Team's trade routes. Nowing how much Viceroy and I had profitted from trade in our last game I guess he was keen to disrupt it. I sent in a force to sweep him from the area, and hastily constructed a fortress to guard the vulnerable part of the path between our bases.

From then on the battle was on. The area in between my original fortress (which soon became accompanied by more fortresses from both myself and Viceroy) and the front line of DMUK's base was a bloody battleground. DMUK's tactic was his patented pummel drop, but except for his one overwhelming drop (which he happened to perform when I had stepped away from the computer for a minute) they were mere distractions compared to the front line battle.

Viceroy, his mind ever on the Confederacy's trade bonus like the Confederacy leaders of the movies, envisioned a path carved through the forest making a shortcut between our bases where our trade convoys could travel with safety. Viceroy had upwards of 45 cargo freighters, and his wealth was immense, and he contructed AA turrets al along the length of the path (which had been carved by his air cruisers). Well, our wealth just continued to rise, especially since I'd managed to nab a few holocrons. Pretty soon both Viceroy and I had researched Bothan Spynet, while DMUK and Phreak remained in the dark.

Being able to anticipate their attacks, they slowly began losing ground. Phreak had for the most part ramained untouched, having built a considerable prefab shelter wall. His contributions to the front line, particularly his fighters, were becoming quite the annoyance, so Viceroy and I decided to take him out. Viceroy had commented already that the Republic was not really suited for DMUK's pummel drops, but that the Confederacy was far more powerful in Heavy Weapons. So Viceroy executed a massive pummel drop - something like 40 pummels - into Phreak's base. For the most part Phreak was just as well defended as DMUK. He had placed AA Turrets all around the perimeter along with Fortresses and Laser Turrets... all except for one weak point. His carbon workers (left to their own work) had carved out quite a nice landing space, free from turret protection. Well, the pummels carved through Phreak's base, backed up by my full contingents of Fighters and Bombers.

Phreak's base was for the most part destroyed, although DMUK sent a massive force in to help out. We'd managed to kill all of Phreak's workers and CCs, but he had a spaceport under DMUK's protection which helped him have a minor presence in the game.

So then the focus turned to DMUK. The front line had seen many conflicts throughout the course of the game, which huge numbers lost on both sides, but while Viceroy kept him busy there I began attacks on his flanks. For the most part I suffered huge casualties from his network of AA Turrets, but I was making some progress. Unfortunately DMUK had to finish for dinner - he knew it was only a matter of time before we achieved victory (what with our heavy trading) and decided to give up.

DMUK said he may return after his dinner for another game, and return he did, but Phreak and Viceroy would not be able to join us this time. So we played a 1v1, and I wasn't too confident. I played as Rebels to his Empire, and from the outset he claimed he may be slightly too inebriated to play well. Perhaps that was what helped me along: I managed to nab 4 of the 5 holocrons and deflect all of his attacks, and make a few of my own. Halfway through the game I realised how much nova I had amassed, and realised I could afford Bothan Spynet almost twice over! So with access to all of DMUK's sight, I was pretty much unstoppable. I realised he failed to notice the "Enemy is spying on you" message when he continued to mount up pummel drops and try to send them the long way around to my base, and presumably was continually amazed at hom my Fighters and A-Wings seemed to always intercept him before he made it. I could see just how many AA Turrets he had again built, and knew an all-air assault would be impossible. If I was still playing as Naboo I may not have done so well, but the flexibility of the Rebels allowed me to mount a huge ground assault. At the same time I had mounted my assault I noticed he was sending a huge force to my base. I wasn't too concerned - I had a mass of Airspeeders and A-Wings that I realised would be of no help in the attack on his base that I sent back to defend my base. He did considerable damage to me, but not as much as I was doing to him, and soon he had resigned. I was very pleased with my victory over DMUK, despite his apparent and self-confessed lack of sobriety, so much so that I may take up the Rebels again when next we play.

DK_Viceroy
10-26-2004, 01:34 AM
It was interesting to know from watching the Replay that DMUK was skating on the edge of Bankarupcy while I somehow managed to have huge Stockpiles of resources.

Heh that Trade route came in very handy though that Massive drop he did on you Vostok managed to Set me back for a while when it Destroyed all 45 of my hovercraft's I had no problems Replacing them it just took so Long I thought. He must have had quite an assault force with it since I'd researched Confederacy Alliance Long ago.

DM Launched one Pummel drop against me too and he only managed now that I've checked 2 farms and damaged one CC when originally I though he'd destroyed 3 farms.

That Was truly epic Even If DM and Phreak had managed to turn the tables. The Trade route Location was almost ready for us to build in as base space It would have made an Excellent Rear Area and No JEDI STARFIGHTERS would have goten in.

Vostok may not have experience with dealing with Jedi Starfighters But I on the other hand do. thanks to the copius amounts of Sentry posts.

If people want the Statistics then they'll have to find somewhere for me to upload them to.

That was a real fun game Though I wonder why Phreak was so poor that game. It Boggles the mind on how much Nova Carbon and Food i'd ended up with especially with the Final score.

Admiral Vostok
10-26-2004, 07:49 AM
It seems evident to me that Phreak wasn't really "poor" in the game, he was just spending his resources on defense rather than offense. Whereas DMUK's economy allowed him to build a huge network of defences, Phreak's economy was weaker and trying to match DMUK's defenses was draining. Still he managed to mount a couple of offensives, and his fighters in particular were annoying.

Myself on the other hand spent very little on defensive structures, perhaps too little. I've been relying mostly on my units for defense rather than turrets, and for the most part it works okay (except when I'm away from the computer during a huge pummel drop).

DK_Viceroy
10-26-2004, 09:45 AM
DMUK was skating on the Brink Of economic Collapse that I saw from the replay.

Phreak didn't really build that many workers and didn't farm as much as everyone else so that's propably why he couldn't keep up.

I however am Usually an Econmic Juggernaut.

Vostok is pretty good at economic but your sometimes a little too reliant on Nova based units.

DMUK is Quite admirable for mircoing enough to have enough ore to build that defensive net and at the same time crank out as many pummels and assault mechs.

DarthMaulUK
10-26-2004, 11:13 AM
Ah. i was kinda drunk after a bit. I would have never missed that spynet message in the 1v1 against Vostok otherwise to waste resources on failed pummel drops.

Looking back, we (me and Phreak) should have really put more into the trade routes as its surprising the amount of nova you can make.

All good fun though. Lets hope we can make it a 3v3 next Sunday.

DMUK

DK_Viceroy
10-26-2004, 12:05 PM
Yeah but if Sithmaster joins us who's team will he be on and if PB turns up it's gonna be a tough choice.

That Pummel drop you did against me must have been expensive especially since it only took out two farms and by that stage I'd goten to Juggernau status in my Economy.

Admiral Vostok
10-26-2004, 12:15 PM
I think that game really showed how each of us are changing the way we play depending on our opponent's signature tactics. For example, my building masses of Royal Crusaders was quite powerful against DMUK's mechs, and took care of the only pummel drop he attempted on our forward base in no time. On the other hand my air whoring wasn't nearly as effective against DMUK's AA Turret network.

DK_Viceroy
10-26-2004, 12:25 PM
The only true thing I did differently was Actually build Sentry posts and a few bounty hunters.

I've started to be a little more protective of my base and trade anyway since I've realised how vulnerable it can be. and AA turreting is a lesson learned from too many A-Wing raids.

I haven't really seen how someone would change their tactics against me since that match had DMUK and Phreak on the defensive and they were about as offensive as Ceaser Salad.

I didn't have to think of Counter's to the Republic I think I may be one of the few Forumites that's had experince outside of the Forum games of what A republic Player can do It's quirkly in a way to see how my tactics honed and refined on the zone compared to everyone else's honed and refined through the forum games.

Some people may put down unlimited resource games like Front line and such but really they give you a chance to work on combo's you wouldn't nomrally think of.

swphreak
10-26-2004, 03:42 PM
Well, my dang hovercrafts were freaking retarded. They kept going to my other gate infront of DK. I tried building a cheap light wall to sorta prevent them from going that way, but it wasn;t that effective...

Admiral Vostok
10-26-2004, 06:47 PM
Yes, cargo hovercrafts are amusing sometimes. When DMUK did the successful pummel drop on me, he didn't destroy my Spaceport but half of my hovercrafts stopped moving anyway. Viceroy had to point them all out to me to get them moving again.

DK_Viceroy
10-28-2004, 08:05 AM
That drop also had the effect of destroying all 45 of my hovercraft which was not nice and I summarily got my revenge by pointing out another huge pummel drop and performing a huge one on Phreak.

I don't know why people use strategies that Civ's really don't cater for.

We also saw far less in the way of Jedi Starfighters on Econ Harrasment. I wonder why then again I'm used to expecting the Broad Spectrum of Republic tactics.

That game certainly was enjoyable.

It would be interesting to know what DMUK's reaction was to the disapperaing act by our cargo hover's.

lukeiamyourdad
10-28-2004, 10:24 AM
Probably because the Jedi Starfighter is quite costly.