PDA

View Full Version : Game hangs at random

Fredji
01-03-2000, 02:13 PM
Help! I installed a Voodoo 3 2000 PCI board which required DirectX 7, which I also installed. Now Rogue Squadron hangs at random and I have to reboot my system (AMD K6-3-350; 128 mb memory) I installed the latest Voodoo patch from LucaArts already, with no luck. Anybody have any ideas?

Lt Guilo
01-04-2000, 07:29 PM
Try running the game in Glide mode.

Fredji
01-05-2000, 01:48 PM
Thanks for the tip; I tried it but with the dsame result. The hang-up is truly random: I can play some levels all the way through and then not...

I'm thinking it might be a bios or MB (or maybe vid card??) problem at this point, since none of my other 3-D required games are hanging.

------------------

Lt Guilo
01-06-2000, 03:11 AM
...Well, to be perfectly honest, if you are using 3Dfx's BETA DirectX 7 drivers for your Voodoo card, then....I'd be willing to bet the farm that is the source of your troubles.

Those damned (*#!@*$ piece-o-crap hack-job drivers are quite possibly the worst I've ever seen 3dfx author and release to the public, even under their oh-so-ever-present "beta" moniker.... http://indigo.ie/~owenc/starwars/images/pissed.gif

I just had to delete individual files from those suck-fest "drunk" drivers earlier this evening, when trying to play <u>Half-Life: Opposing Force</u>....every time I clicked on the shortcut to start the game, it wouldn't even load, instead making the infamous DONK! sound we all know and hate and flashing me a dialog box with a big, fat, ugly error message: "OpFor.exe caused an invalid page fault in 3dfx32V2.dll. This program will be shut down."

I finally just deleted the offensive little nasty things from my C:\Windows\System folder, and then the game ran fine all the rest of the evening.

Thank God in heaven I had the good sense to purchase a GeForce DDR....

......Uhm, was I digressing again? http://www.roguesquadron.net/forums/icons/icon11.gif

Shootist
01-06-2000, 07:22 AM
LT G, I just finished OPFOR, cool game, but not quite as good overall as Half-life. Agree? If you don't use cheats or have any walkthroughs and don't go to the forum on the Half-life net, the end is kind of challenging on the old patience bone.

------------------
ACK...Phht!!
Bill the Cat

GUNNER
01-06-2000, 08:01 AM
I like Op4 almost as much ,if not better then HL. I liked the action with the black ops and some of the maps were very cool not to mention the new guns. http://www.roguesquadron.net/forums/smile.gif

------------------
"With each passing moment,you make yourself more my sevant."
COMMANDER GUNNER
ROGUE LEADER

Shootist
01-06-2000, 06:50 PM
Ditto that Gunner, the original just ran soooo smooth on my set up. I'm tryin' to figure out Rainbow Six now, on sale and all that ya know...

------------------
ACK...Phht!!
Bill the Cat

[This message has been edited by Shootist (edited January 06, 2000).]

Lt Guilo
01-06-2000, 09:38 PM
Checked out <u>Quake III</u> or <u>Unreal Tournament</u> yet, Shootist? How 'bout you, GUNNER?

Shootist
01-06-2000, 11:59 PM
Did the Unreal, just that:unreal! That's the one that got me started on shooters. Guess where my UserName came from. Yep. Daughter said I was just a pure shootist when it came down to it. Said I was a bit like Josey Wales, "leaves dead men wherever he goes."
Haven't had time for QIII, trying to go back and visit some games I missed. Will do eventually.

------------------
ACK...Phht!!
Bill the Cat

GUNNER
01-11-2000, 02:40 AM
Is Unreal T just for multi or does it also have a single player option? I haven't tried Quake III yet either although I am tempted to get it one of these days. Just need to stop procrastinating and go get it.

Lt Guilo
01-16-2000, 12:29 AM
I think both games have single-player functionality (in the form of BOTmatches), but only in that capacity...otherwise, yup - multi was and is and likely shall remain their primary gameplaying style and purpose.