PDA

View Full Version : Eu:njo

Sharpshooter
08-04-2004, 05:20 PM
'sup everyone! This thread is for anyone who has anything to say about NJO, or, just about EU in general.:D

yaebginn
08-04-2004, 05:42 PM
I just got a star wras book form the library. um, what was it called? oh yeah., Survivors Quest. it was good. I am know alot alot about EU and SW in general, so any questions, gimme a holler;

Sharpshooter
08-04-2004, 05:45 PM
Dark Journey is after star by star, right?:cool:

Ice Demon44
08-04-2004, 09:19 PM
What is NJO?

ZBomber
08-04-2004, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by Ice Demon44
What is NJO?

Its the New Jedi Order, it's a Star Wars Book series.

El Sitherino
08-04-2004, 09:53 PM
What is NJO? the worst EU series ever made.

yaebginn
08-04-2004, 11:56 PM
I liked NJO

ZBomber
08-05-2004, 12:01 AM
Originally posted by yaebginn
I liked NJO

I really don't think any of us were suprised by that comment.

yaebginn
08-05-2004, 12:07 AM
considering I read most all of the EU books and own over 70 of them, you shouldnt be.

Alegis
08-06-2004, 03:31 PM
from what i heard its teh crapzorz

as for EU, used to read jedi's apprentice, pre-episode 1 with qui-gon jinn and obi wan. nice series

yaebginn
08-06-2004, 03:33 PM
its good, yeah, but I can read one in like, 15 minutes. NJO was great. well written and it really gave you a feeling of despair with all the deaths and all. my personal fav was the X-wing series, that one is good. My fav book, probably shatterpoint, shadows of the empire, or maybe some of Zahns stuff.

GlobalStrike
08-06-2004, 05:36 PM
I have one book, force heretic 2 refugee and i think it's great. I'm almost done with it and i'd like to get shatterpoint next. By the way, what do you think of my signiture/location/avatar combo? :jawa :jawa

yaebginn
08-06-2004, 05:52 PM
pretty good. have you read the NJO books b4 force heretic?ause there are alot before that one. shatterpoint is with mace windu and its awesome. it is really good.

Ice Demon44
08-07-2004, 01:28 AM
ok... i read a little of the new jedi order stuff, and thought the whole concept was stupid. Not part of the force is crazy, it contradicts star wars. I also didnt like the way they were from another galaxy...

Im not much for expanded stuff I just like the official stuff

yaebginn
08-07-2004, 01:35 PM
1. how did it contradict the whole thing? almost every book slips up now again and gives someone the wrong color eyes, or a little bit of something. btw, check out www.theforce.net and there is new info on future EU books.

Ice Demon44
08-07-2004, 02:51 PM
They weren't part of the force, i thoguht all living things were part of the force.

PR-0927
08-07-2004, 03:09 PM
Hmm, maybe you should try reading all 19 books? I did. And I loved it. The series is really weird from the beginning.

The Yuuzhan Vong don't have the Force because the Force took itself away from them. They were being evil. Plus, it was the will of the force.

Plus, there is a thread about this. It is in the Star Wars: Expanded Universe section of Lucas Forums.

I think the NJO Series was the best series ever written.

And George Lucas considers it true Star Wars. In the beginning of Vector Prime, George Lucas approves of the series, and views it as true Star Wars.

yaebginn
08-07-2004, 04:19 PM
yeah, it will seem wrong if you dont finish it. its really weird and the end really ties it all up. dont bash it unless you've finished it.

ET Warrior
08-07-2004, 04:22 PM
yeah, it will seem wrong if you dont finish it. its really weird and the end really ties it all up. dont bash it unless you've finished it.

Yes, because I'd love nothing better than to read 10 more books when the first nine were ridiculously stupid and almost made me throw away all my star wars books in disgust. :rolleyes:

yaebginn
08-07-2004, 05:56 PM
then thats ur thing. but i'm telling you, if you dont finish it, then it wont make sense, so its understandable that you dont like it. I'm not trying to get you to like it, its ur loss.

Igor_Cavkov
08-07-2004, 07:03 PM
i loved the young jedi knight series :D

El Sitherino
08-07-2004, 07:30 PM
I loved young jedi knights.

I read all the NJO books and I hated them.

yaebginn
08-07-2004, 07:33 PM
ok, then thats ur thing. most of who read them, liked them. YJK was good, when I was young. Now, its corny. with Jacens tasteless jokes. I like his personality in NJO rather than in YJK.

ET Warrior
08-07-2004, 09:06 PM
Yeah, Jacen was aweomse in NJO...

"I'm all mad about being a jedi, I'm not using the force"

"Rargh, I want to complain about things, I'm not using the force"

"I just used the force, am I evil? I dunno."

yaebginn
08-07-2004, 09:19 PM
way off, there. for starters, he wasnt angry. he didnt want to use the Force, because he had a vision and ddint want to tip thew balnce between light and darkside just because they were at war. and he used the Force to save his mom and didnt think he was evil. He was just thinking how it all goes together with his vision. and that personality is way better than, 'When do Tie fighters scream? They miss thier mothership, har har har'

El Sitherino
08-07-2004, 09:25 PM
I'd rather read corny jokes (like all kids make) than read some damned teenaged angst.

yaebginn
08-07-2004, 09:57 PM
it wasnt angst. it was phycological stuff. all about the Force and how it connects with eerytihng and how it affects all.

ZBomber
08-07-2004, 10:06 PM
Yeh,he says all that through bitching.

I fell asleep reading the first book. Ug.....

The old EU was definetly much better than this new crap in my opinion.

ET Warrior
08-07-2004, 10:16 PM
it wasnt angst. it was phycological stuff. all about the Force and how it connects with eerytihng and how it affects all.

It was angst. It was young adult hormones and problems, he thought he was the most brilliant person in the universe and only he knew what was going on. BLEGH.

yaebginn
08-07-2004, 10:27 PM
I agree, old EU was better, but NJO isnt much worse. It wasnt as good, but that didnt mean it wasnt good at all. and he was the one being mature, he had great skillin the Force and yes, he was arrogant alot through the book, especially at centerpoint station. but i the end, it all works out. if you bothered to finish it.

coupes.
08-07-2004, 10:43 PM
I agree, old EU was better, but NJO isnt much worse.
I love that sentence... it sounds even better coming from someone who likes EU. It basically says all EU is crap. :lol:

yaebginn
08-07-2004, 11:12 PM
not really. old EU was better, and NJo wasnt far behind, is the transaltion.

Igor_Cavkov
08-08-2004, 06:50 AM
i havent read any NJO but i like the idea of Yu shan vong.. how come some of you think its bad?? how can the story be bad´when its the biggest war the saga ever faced?! am i right??

yaebginn
08-08-2004, 09:38 AM
u r right except for the name. its Yuuzhan Vong. but yeah, u are pretty much right. a fw books I didnt like, like...Dark Journey, Vector Prime, and there was one more, but I cant remember it. IMO, the series was good. lots of good duels.

El Sitherino
08-08-2004, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by Igor_Cavkov
i havent read any NJO but i like the idea of Yu shan vong.. how come some of you think its bad?? how can the story be bad´when its the biggest war the saga ever faced?! am i right?? well they turned jacen into an uber-whiny b*tch. Chewbacca died. The Yuuzhan Vong just totally reaked of borg. it's just... crap.

ET Warrior
08-08-2004, 07:09 PM
Originally posted by InsaneSith
The Yuuzhan Vong just totally reaked of borg. it's just... crap.

Resistance is futile, you will be..organificasized....:D

El Sitherino
08-08-2004, 07:14 PM
I will immicate your ass.

yaebginn
08-08-2004, 07:20 PM
so u dont like it cause chewie died? thats what gave it its spark. no one liked chewies death. People actually threatened RA Salvator.

Ice Demon44
08-08-2004, 07:26 PM
Chewbacca can't die it isn't physically possible...
I don't understand how you move a moon. I liked the battles of Star Wars because it was two almost equal sides. Those alien things were just supreme. Oh well, it isn't official so ... it is a matter of choice I guess.

yaebginn
08-08-2004, 08:07 PM
you can move a moon, they used its mass against it and pulled with dovin basals.

El Sitherino
08-08-2004, 10:15 PM
so u dont like it cause chewie died? thats what gave it its spark. no one liked chewies death. People actually threatened RA Salvator. ... the hell? do you block out just all but one part of my sentences, that was just one reason I didn't like it.

and no, a single being (regardless of it's physical strength) could not possibly move a moon.

yaebginn
08-08-2004, 11:30 PM
a dingle being didnt move a moon. then used a large, large gravity thing, like a mini blackhole and used it ot pull the moon down.

Sharpshooter
08-08-2004, 11:36 PM
Please stop arguing it's ok if you state your opinion just don't fight anymore!:mad:

PR-0927
08-08-2004, 11:42 PM
Chewbacca can't die it isn't physically possible...
I don't understand how you move a moon. I liked the battles of Star Wars because it was two almost equal sides. Those alien things were just supreme. Oh well, it isn't official so ... it is a matter of choice I guess.

False...it is official. George Lucas himself writes that the NJO Series are completely correct and official Star Wars in Vector Prime.

:fett:

coupes.
08-09-2004, 12:32 AM
Geez... in about half of your post you said that "GL himself said that NJO was real Star Wars..." thingy, change the tape... or at least provide us with a quote to back up what you are saying.

And nothing in the SW universe is official until GL puts it in one of his movies (also includes screenplay, script, novelisation... mostly)... I'm not saying it's not good or that it would be stupid to enjoy it, I'm just saying it's nothing more than fanfic with a budget.

SkinWalker
08-09-2004, 04:58 AM
I thought that the NJO was pretty good, overall. There were definately parts I didn't like, such as the death of Chewie and Anakin, but I have to admit that the Chewbacca thing created a whole tone for the remainder of the series. Nobody was safe and you had the feeling that a character was really in danger when you read a book. Unlike previous books, when you knew that no matter how tough C'Baoth or Thrawn were, Luke & co. would prevail.

The Y. Vong presented a different challenge, not being present in the force. The stories with Anakin were among the best, so I stayed pissed that he caught it, especially when a romance was budding with Tahiri. Tahiri was the most under written character of the series, btw. I would have liked to have read more of her exploits.

Still, there were definately books in the series that I thought were dry or too "fantasy-like." I've never liked the fantasy genre, so whenever a writer from primarily from that genre was commissioned I was less likely to enjoy the book. I would have liked to see a couple of books from A.C. Crispen. Her writing style is great and I thoroughly enjoyed the Han Solo trilogy she did.

My all-time favorite EU book is I Jedi.

yaebginn
08-09-2004, 02:04 PM
IMO, Jacen was the best charatcer. Especially near the end. Anakin was cool. AC Crispen was great. Rebe; Dawn was like, my fav SW book ever. I,Jedi was great, too. Well written, it's among my favs as well. Luke and co, what the heck? Hans the real deal. For some reason, I srtill dont like Luke due to his pansy boy attitude in OT.

ET Warrior
08-10-2004, 03:25 AM
Originally posted by SkinWalker
I thought that the NJO was pretty good, overall.

:eek: I think this is the first time I've had to wonder if you might actually be insane Skin :xp:

My favorite EU is the stuff by Zhan, but he's one of my favorite Sci-Fi authors of all time anyways, so I just love his material.

El Sitherino
08-10-2004, 03:45 AM
Originally posted by ET Warrior

My favorite EU is the stuff by Zhan, but he's one of my favorite Sci-Fi authors of all time anyways, so I just love his material. ditto. Zhan > all

yaebginn
08-10-2004, 09:03 PM
I'm gonna re-read Zahns stuff. I havent read his trilogy in way over a few years. Icarus Hunt was good stuff, though.

Jaden Malip
08-10-2004, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by InsaneSith
and no, a single being (regardless of it's physical strength) could not possibly move a moon. [/B]

yeah, technically you could. Seeing as in space everything is weightless.

ET Warrior
08-10-2004, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by Jaden Malip
yeah, technically you could. Seeing as in space everything is weightless.

Weightless, yes. Massless, no. The earth is as weightless in space as a moon is. You planning on moving the Earth?

El Sitherino
08-10-2004, 09:32 PM
yeah, technically you could. Seeing as in space everything is weightless. and if you go by that thinking, you would also move whatever object you are standing on while moving the moon. and ultimately sending yourself drifting into space.

Jaden Malip
08-10-2004, 09:50 PM
And what exactly what would you be standing on in space?

If you push it with a greater force than its planets gravity its gonna move. It's simple physics.

What you also seem to be saying is that if an asteroid his the moon it wouldn't move.

El Sitherino
08-10-2004, 10:26 PM
And what exactly what would you be standing on in space?

If you push it with a greater force than its planets gravity its gonna move. It's simple physics.

What you also seem to be saying is that if an asteroid his the moon it wouldn't move. I'm talking about a single being. Not an asteroid. And yes I know if you apply more force than the gravity of the planet it will move. But we're talking about a single person and a large moon.

yaebginn
08-10-2004, 10:37 PM
wow, way off topic.

Jaden Malip
08-10-2004, 10:41 PM
yeah....

the thrawn trilogys great, so are some of the clone wars books.

yaebginn
08-10-2004, 10:42 PM
Shatterpoint was awesome, I havent yet read Cestus Deception, and Medstar 1 was real good.

ET Warrior
08-10-2004, 11:49 PM

Perhaps you fell asleep during physics class? Because since we're talking about crashing a moon DOWN on a planet, you would have to apply force greater than the Centripetal force caused by it's orbit, or 1/2 * mass * (velocity ^ 2)

Lets just assume it's a really small, slow moving moon...50,000 KG moon moving at 50 Km/h. You would need a force of 62,500,000 Newtons to bring it out of orbit, and this is a TINY moon that's moving in a ridiculously slow obrit :dozey:

However, if you were talking about pushing it OUT of orbit, you wouldn't really need a force equal to gravity to accomplish it, just put your force in the direction of it's orbit. If you speed up it's orbit the centripetal force will increase to the point where it will break orbit quite easily, since you only need a small increase in speed anyways, because the velocity is a squared component.

yaebginn
08-10-2004, 11:58 PM
the vong pulled it out of its orbit.

Jaden Malip
08-11-2004, 12:18 AM
I ususally do fall asleep in physics, screwed up in the exam too. The weirdest thing is, my physics teacher used to do weapons tech in the government. She kept going on about all this stuff that she probably can't say!

Back to topic:
Shatterpoints is amazing, Cestus Deceptions pretty cool, but not as good. I wanna get the one where it has Anakin's Jedi Knight trial with Neeja Halcyon.

yaebginn
08-11-2004, 12:32 AM
yeah, Jedi trial looks good. also, dark Rendezous looks good, with yoda.

Virtuosis
08-11-2004, 01:07 AM
My favorites have always been the Zahn series, you know all the Thrawn stuff. Mostly because I just love the whole tactician stuff. How he can read the peoples art to know how they would react to situations, that just sealed the deal for me haha. I've read every single one of those EU books between the end of Empire Strikes Back, all the way to where NJO starts, I read the first book of that series, haven't read anymore after that...

ET Warrior
08-11-2004, 03:09 AM
the vong pulled it out of its orbit.

You don't seem to realize the amount of force that would be required to accomplish such a feat :dozey:

Now, while I usually don't nitpick details like that in Sci-Fi....someone brought up the ridiculousness and then somebody tried defending it. I'm merely proving a point.

yaebginn
08-11-2004, 10:42 AM
a blacj hole could pull it out, which is basically what they used, a mini black hole with focused energry.

Sharpshooter
08-16-2004, 03:15 PM
Anikin Skywalker & Solo are two of my favorite characters, besides Han and Chewbacca, "The Dynamic Duo"! This is because they all like to take action!:D

yaebginn
08-16-2004, 03:33 PM
yeah, I liek Jacen and maybe Corran Horn.

Sharpshooter
08-28-2004, 07:33 PM
I like Corran Horn too. I just don't really like Jason that much. I understand he's trying to be smart and responsible, But he thinks too hard and then acts like such a pussy.:D

yaebginn
08-28-2004, 07:38 PM
later in the seires, he gets better.

Sharpshooter
08-28-2004, 08:23 PM
Cool! No matter what I'm going to finish the series now that I have started it and gotten this far!:D

Astrotoy7
08-30-2004, 04:28 AM
where there's njo bashing I smell ET....

:p

I've had this debate in the EU forums endless times. People will either like NJO, or not like it at all..... Do we need to argue over it ? :p

Ah , Zahn. Yes, he gave us great characters, to be sure, but the man cant write *about them* His characterisations are cartoonish at best...

is it only me who thinks the "Luuke" and "Joruus" ideas are freakin *more stupid* than ewoks defeating the empires supposedly finest troops.... ?

secondly, to explore a characters mental anguish and battle with pain and torture, Matt Stover spent a *whole book*, in the unforgettable Traitor...

Zahn, in the Thrawn trilogy, doesnt bother with this, he uses caps lock instead :
YOU WILL KILL LUKE SKYWALKER !!!
Hmmm, lets see, I think Mara must be in mental anguish..... :p

pfft...zahn, gimme Mike Stackpole, James Luceno, Aaron Allston anytime ... What Zahn needs to do is pull his finger out and stop writing about Thrawn - his hand, his foot, his buttcrack or the OFP.... :p

mtfbwya

JediJohn
08-30-2004, 06:42 AM
anyone read Underworld: the yavin vassilika, good story crap drawings i generally stick to graphic novels when i read EU

ET Warrior
08-30-2004, 07:15 AM
Originally posted by Astrotoy7
where there's njo bashing I smell ET....

And wherever there are prostitutes, also there is Astrotoy :dozey:

Honestly, Zhan is a Science Fiction writer, through and through, and he's one of the best Sci fi writers ever. Science fiction at it's heart is a lot less about intense characterization and lot more about super cool crap happening. ;)

Astrotoy7
08-31-2004, 02:48 AM
Originally posted by ET Warrior
And wherever there are prostitutes, also there is Astrotoy :dozey:

Honestly, Zhan is a Science Fiction writer, through and through, and he's one of the best Sci fi writers ever. Science fiction at it's heart is a lot less about intense characterization and lot more about super cool crap happening. ;)

both of those are sound points :D

although I thought it was refreshing to see the EU books dealing more deeply with characters, not just space battles and cool crap all the time, which was getting damn boring :(

mtfbwya