PDA

View Full Version : sequel, engine?

TheBlueFlamingo
08-06-2004, 09:01 AM
So hypothetically... If a new Jedi Knight/Outcast/Academy/dont know what to call it game were to come out, which would be the best engine for it to be built with?

The old engine started showing their age, last year, and with 3 perdominantly new engines either out or soon to be; Doom3, CryTek, and Source, which would be best?

Since Lucasarts won't spend the time or money so develop or create their own unique engine for a Jedi based game, their main interest is money, and with a pre-built engine its just easy puting the characters in there as fast as they can, to get that greenback, the question arises.

First, lets look at the 3 contenders.

CryTek - Far Cry - This one would be excellent for creating amazing and massive worlds for a jedi to explore and destroy. The physics are pretty good too.

Doom3 - This engine seems like it was designed for smaller environments, like in Doom3, and for lighting. In my opinion this engine would be THE ONE to make amazing lightsaber battles. With the lighting and the detail in the charachter models I cant even comprehend the astonishing potential for a amazing dramatic Jedi duel. And, with a little work and modding, the engine could be expanded to work well with big outdoor environments, like LEC did with the quake engine for JO, JA.

Source - Half-Life - Now this one nobody knows too much about. And if you say you played the leaked beta and the physics are crappy dont discuss this thread because the game wasnt done and that wasnt a full represntation of it. Basiclly no one has relly been able to see the potential of the engine beacuse it is yet to be released. But from videos and other things, this engine might be the middle between Doom and CryTek. With the videos we have seen some amazing outdoor areas. The graphics dont seem to be as good as Doom3, but the physics seem to take the cake out of the three. And with a supposedly amazing physics system the Source engine might be one to make insane force powers with. Force throw, grip, push and all the others could be utilized to their fullest. Make them better than they seem in the movies, make it seem like the jedi are actually something special as are portrayed in the movies. With JA and JO I never really got the same impression as I do with the movies in regards to jedi. But at this point we know very little about this engine, my guess is it will live up to the hype and exceed expectations, but you never know.

This is a tough question, each has its appeal. I dont feel I can make a solid stand with my opinion on this untill I can play each engine. But I thought I'd throw the question out there, maybe make a decent inquisitive thread?

Crow_Nest
08-06-2004, 09:26 AM
I think there was a rumor they were gonna use the U3 engine right? For the next JK game.

_PerfectAgent_
08-06-2004, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by TheBlueFlamingo
Since Lucasarts won't spend the time or money so develop or create their own unique engine for a Jedi based game...
Maybe they will make a new engine again. They've done it with Dark Forces and Jedi Knight.

Crow_Nest
08-06-2004, 11:54 PM
I think LC and Raven would be pretty stupid to choose the CryEngine, its not as good as the Doom 3 engine or the Source engine. And also very demanding in requirements.

Doom 3 and HL2's graphics are about the same, just that D3's shadows arent as good as HL2

Tinny
08-07-2004, 12:49 AM
uh, i think doom 3 has better shadows than source. but i'd have to pick the source engine simply because having the havok source in a jedi game would make the telekinetic force powers ridiculously amazing.

razorace
08-07-2004, 02:12 AM
Well, FYI, but Raven has always used Id software's current engine for their games. That has always been the case and I don't think that will change in the future.

However, in the ideal case, I think I'd like to have it on the Unreal Engine. The Unreal engine series has a proven track record, is constantly updated with the latest and greatest features, has excellent engine support (from what I've read), and most of all, runs good even on older systems.

Crow_Nest
08-07-2004, 05:47 AM
Originally posted by Tinny
uh, i think doom 3 has better shadows than source. but i'd have to pick the source engine simply because having the havok source in a jedi game would make the telekinetic force powers ridiculously amazing.

I kinda noticed that the dyanmic lights effect on the shadows in D3 are slightly better than HL2. But both are overall good enough

Alegis
08-07-2004, 04:32 PM
JK4 will be based on doom3 engine

Crow_Nest
08-07-2004, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by Alegis Gensan
JK4 will be based on doom3 engine

How did you know that? Any links?

Rumor
08-07-2004, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by |GG|Crow_Nest
I kinda noticed that the dyanmic lights effect on the shadows in D3 are slightly better than HL2. But both are overall good enough

Are you ****ing stupid?

Source's graphics do not even fall into the same ballfield. Its like a tee-ball field and a mlb field. Top that with enabling the character self-shadowing, and its even better than what Square has been doing, and its real-time to top that.

The havok physics system is a pile of 3 year old crap. Ever played painkiller? Good game gay physics. Why do you think not only id, but epic, are creating their own physics engines? Oh, and run around in DooM³ firing rockets at the feet of any monster and you'll see good physics.

As for the Unreal Warfare engine, it does not run very well on lower-end systems. Epic spent a lot of time making the ut2004 revision run exponetionally better than the ut2003, and it was still very hoggish. DooM³'s engine is far beyond the scope of Unreal Warfare, not to mention its the next generation.

You can do a lot with the UW engine, but i've always found the fidelity and fluidity of id engines to far surpass all others.

Obi_Kwiet
08-08-2004, 12:21 AM
I didn't like Far Cry's graphics. I think that the HL2 engine would be a nice engine for --->--->--->****JK3****<---<---<--- ahem. :D

Master William
08-08-2004, 12:30 AM
Well, if they're gonna use a new engine for the next JK game it better not be one that requires a NASA computer to run

Kurgan
08-09-2004, 03:35 AM
Now that Doom3 is actually available, maybe people can talk more intelligently about whether or not they really want to see a Jedi game on that engine.

Though, granted, given enough time and money and clever teams, they can do wonders with the engines they use...

Obi_Kwiet
08-10-2004, 01:22 PM
I don't think so. It has very limited MP.

Prime
08-10-2004, 01:30 PM
But that isn't due to the engine, is it? Wasn't it a consious decision by Id?

_PerfectAgent_
08-10-2004, 05:11 PM
id decided to make such a limited MP. Maybe to make it like the other two? You can mod the game to have more players or make new gametypes like capture the flag.

Alegis
08-10-2004, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by |GG|Crow_Nest
How did you know that? Any links?
i hate it to play mr rumout man, all i can give you is a "friend of a friend" (uncle of friend who's in LEC), supposed to be pre-prod (ideas etc). but then again, never rate this higher than a simple rumour.

Also makes sense though. JK uses ID engine, engine upgrades with lots lots of great coding stuff..(like in MP, change gametype? Dont need to reload map, well for stuff like ffa->ctf a bit of course me thinks). The new engine of doom3 is coded very very well. They did theirselves proud

Emon
08-12-2004, 02:04 AM
Havok is not a pile of three year old crap - It's an awesome physics engine, it's in HL2, Far Cry, Deus Ex 2, Thief III and many, many others. The implementations differ from game to game. HL2's seems to be pretty awesome, Far Cry's is also great, although sometimes the bodies seem to have a low gravity effect. In DX2, shooting a body in the foot usually means the body flies way up into the air (in the demo anyways). It depends on how its used and integrated into the buyer's software. Speaking of buying, other companies make their own physics engines because it's cheaper. And if I recall correctly, Karma wasn't made by Epic, but licensed from another company (possibly modified a little or a not, I'm not sure here). GSC started with an existing physics base for STALKER, it's incredibly difficult to write a physics engine from scratch. I have no idea about Doom 3 though, and it wouldn't suprise me if id wrote it themselves. Cause like, they're awesome enough to do that...so, they can.

Crow_Nest
08-12-2004, 05:54 AM
I dont think Havok was used for Far Cry (Or is it?)

Heres the Havok site http://www.havok.com/ they didnt say anything about Far Cry being one of their clients

acdcfanbill
08-12-2004, 10:32 AM
crytek used their own physics engine i believe.

BloodRiot
08-13-2004, 08:55 AM
@ Emon:

I can believe the Havok system is good... but plz don't say that and give Deus Ex 2 as an example... the physics in that game suck a big one. I had the Johnny Bravo Eye Brow raise look on my face when I first SLOWLY walked and TOUCHED a box on the floor... the box went flying as if I was shooting a penalty kick aiming for the stars.

Well but going back on topic... By the time JK4 (assuming there's gonna be one) comes out... there should already be plenty of affordable hardware that will run games using the doom3 engine with fair framerates. Since it's next gen... i'd go for that engine... but it better be modded to allow greater open spaces and better MP support.

My 2 cents.

Kurgan
08-14-2004, 06:29 PM
Currently we know NOTHING about any future Jedi games (except the Episode III based "Darth Vader" game that lets you play as Anakin and Obi-Wan, which only has a press release on LucasArts.com).

We have NO reason to believe that JK4 will use the Doom3 engine other than pure speculation.

It's POSSIBLE, that Raven Software, fresh from doing Quake IV (on the Doom3 engine) and given their past tendancy to use Id software created engines to make their games MIGHT be brought on to do another JK game (if one is made) and MIGHT then use the Doom3 engine.

Really though, what makes the Doom3 engine so special when it comes to a JK game, other than the fact that it has high system requirments?

Obviously the gameplay of a JK game would be completely different than Doom3, and while if Raven is given the reins, it would seem likely, I wouldn't consider it a given.

After all, LucasArts has developed engines in house before, with the original Dark Forces, and JK/MotS. They are working on an FPS called Republic Commando that uses Unreal tech. So who knows...

Raven does a good job, but they didn't get to do Elite Force II for example, so with a liscensed property we can't really assume that JK4 will be "their's" just because they did JK2/JA.

Frankly, I'd rather see a few games come out with the Doom3 engine before JK4, if it does indeed end up on that engine, so that developers can have time to learn it and break the ice.

Though by that time people will say the game "looks dated" and such. ; )

That's the computer game industry for you I guess!

The quality of the game will depend greatly on the team that does it and the amount of time/money/freedom they are allowed on the project. Being that it's Star Wars, they will be limited in what they can do freedom wise. The rest is up to LucasArts, who would be overseeing the project in some fashion, as they have for past SW titles.

Even if an engine has fantastic features, that doesn't guarentee that those features will be USED to full effect in the game.

I know we'd all love to see a game that has the best graphics, coolest physics engine, smoothest multiplayer, easiest editing, etc etc, but those are wishes, making it happen is another matter...

Tyler_Durden
08-16-2004, 07:00 AM
Now that Luca$art$ has released 31 of their developers and has said that they will concentrate on fewer games, does this mean they have kicked Raven to the curb? I know that they released the people that were developing KOTOR 3. Also with the departure of Kenn Hoekstra from Raven i wonder if LA will go with another developer of the next Jedi game, if there's gonna be another one, that is.

From an engine standpoint i think that the HL2 engine would be best as it's possible to have more wide open areas with multiple NPC's whereas with Doom 3, it's a lot more claustrophobic than past Dooms. I wonder if that was more a design decision or could the engine really handle a lot of NPC's and open areas? I would have to say no as the requirements are already high as hell just to play Doom itself. Same thing goes for HL2 but i think it can do a bit more in terms of environments and such with those resources. This is just observation from what i've seen.

If they don't opt for either, i think the unreal engine is a great source. The republic commando game is coming along nicely. It looks pretty photorealistic and i think would be awesome for lighting effects with the sabers and lasers and special effects.

ninjaofthenorth
08-16-2004, 09:49 AM
Of course there is going to be another JKA/JK3 game. It was one of the best sellers for multiple weeks. Not to mention it is still one of the top 20 games played via gamespy (which really dosent mean much). But, on the other hand, it would be suicide for Lucasarts to release another game while the episode 3 game was being released.

So in my opinion, they either need to release the game next week, or wait untill a couple months after the episode 3 game.

Kurgan
08-16-2004, 12:34 PM
Personally, if they're not going to use the Q3 engine, I'd love to see Unreal tech used.

That would lower the system requirements, and the game could still be flash bang awesome in the graphics and physics department and there's already a good developer and mod maker base for it, unlike Doom3, which is just starting out.

Half Life 2 is vaporware, as far as I'm concerned. The industry insiders may know something I don't (I'm sure they do), but until we see what the game can really do and how it performs (not just some demo at a trade show or some illegally ripped up code), how do we know it's a better choice for a Jedi game?

Obi_Kwiet
08-16-2004, 04:24 PM
Rumor you moron! You don't know what Unreal 3 or HL2 will be like! They haven't come out yet, Duh! And FYI Unreal 3 videos look better than anything I have ever seen. Way better than doom 3.

Tyler_Durden
08-16-2004, 06:33 PM
Yeah, Kurgan, above all i think the unreal engine is the most solid choice for the next game. We've seen it in action and know what it's capapble of, plus like you said the tools are already there for modding so learning to make levels and the like shouldn't be very hard as there are tutorials out i believe.

The thing i like most is that you don't need a 3+ Ghz computer to run the game and it still looks awesome. Another plus is the big environments you can put into the game and you also can have multiple NPC's without loss of framerate.

JDKnite188
08-16-2004, 09:59 PM
Unreal Tech. That would be a great idea, considering it's massive modding resources in comparison to the id line games.

I think it might also be a nice idea to look into the X-Ray engine, the foundation for Stalker. It especially improves on the outdoor environments . . . .

http://www.stalker-game.com/download/gallery/screenshots/middle/sb_xray_12.jpg

I am still very impressed by the model rendering of [i[Doom 3[/i].

Tyler_Durden
08-16-2004, 11:18 PM
hmm, those are some good environments. I like doom 3's models too but they take up too many resources and don't leave a lot of room for much else. I thinka star wars game such as this would need to be on the scope of JK, an example would be Baron's Hed where you have to fight through the city to get to the palace at the middle. That level takes me a while to get through plus killing all the stormtroopers everywhere.

Rumor
08-17-2004, 12:21 AM
i don't agree that unreal engines have more modding support than others, but the new one blows everything else away.

then again, who knows what carmack will do with his next engine. it could possibly be far better than the new unreal warfare.

http://www.unrealtechnology.com/screens/TerrainShot.jpg

http://www.unrealtechnology.com/screens/SoftShadows.jpg

http://www.unrealtechnology.com/screens/HDRGlow.jpg

Master William
08-17-2004, 02:03 PM
I believe in making JK4 available to many people, I don't want a Doom 3 again, I don't really care much for graphics

Prime
08-17-2004, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by ninjaofthenorth
Of course there is going to be another JKA/JK3 game. It was one of the best sellers for multiple weeks. So was the X-Wing/Tie Fighter series, I believe. When is the next one coming out? ;)

Tyler_Durden
08-18-2004, 01:12 AM
Graphics are secondary to gameplay but game engines have come far and there are many out there that can do what the q3 engine did and better. Unreal 2's engine, for instance.

Yeah when it all comes down to it, that, i think would be the best choice, plus i don't think the graphics look dated yet. Luca$art$ should tap the developers of Republic Commando to do the next Jedi game after they're done. They can use the basic saber system Raven used, though i think it can be enhanced some. Also i think everyone has at least the requirements to play Unreal 2.

Master William
08-18-2004, 01:43 AM
I'm not really in for your idea of keeping the JO/JA saber system...

I imagine holding mouse button 1 while pressing left/right/up/down, that should be the basics for performing attacks with your Lightsaber, and I think there should be many combinations.

I just want to see a game where the saber fights look cool, KOTOR is the only one so far I liked the saber moves with... JO and JA are kind of unrealistic.

-Zack-
08-18-2004, 06:43 AM
Aren't JK games always PC-friendly? I mean all of the JK series have been running on every pc and if you take this new Unreal engine, then the title "PC-friendly" will be long gone.

Maybe they should use UT2k4 engine since then, the siege mode will be massed with servers, also UT 2004 engine has a good quality for mod making too.

keshire
08-18-2004, 07:03 AM
I imagine holding mouse button 1 while pressing left/right/up/down, that should be the basics for performing attacks with your Lightsaber, and I think there should be many combinations.

That is how the saber system works.

each direction send the saber in a specific direction.

Press left saber moves right to left. From the left postion you can combo into any other direction. Out of seven.

Seven Cardinal Directions, and each direction combo's into the other seven.

I should know, I'm making a new saber style.

Master_Keralys
08-18-2004, 11:47 AM
I'd love to see it on an engine that'll actually do the lightsaber combat right. Honestly, if a developer can take Doom3 and get it right, good. If they can do it on the Source engine... great. If they can do it on the Cry engine... great! But give us the massive environments, give us the lightsaber combat that actually looks and feels like the movies, and give us a deep storyline (toss in some good physics, too) - with those elements, I'll be happy, no matter which engine it comes on.

If it ever comes. As Kurgan aptly pointed out, it's possible there'll never be another actual "Jedi Knight" series game - which isn't to say there won't be more games of similar style, but the series may well be done...

JDKnite188
08-18-2004, 12:33 PM
I think the next Jedi Knight game should be something revolutionary as opposed to a click-move saber system. The game series otherwise doesn't have a great deal else to offer in comparison to other titles.

I always imagined the possibility of a saber system based on mouse movement. The player uses the keyboard , joystick, or other input hardware to move their body physically. The Left button could be used to rotate the saber to the left; the right would do the opposite. Movement of the mouse would be for performance of a swing. The saber system in this sense would be truly dynamic. There would be no special moves. To block from the swing of another lightsaber, the player would have to move the saber to block accordingly. To block from blaster fire, it wouldn't necessarily be "auto-block." The player would have to move the saber into the general direction of the blaster fire, but a determined force sensitivity could allow for an intermediate "auto-block." The saber would move into a more precise position yet would initially require the saber to be in a general block position.

Problems: dual sabers would be impossible.

Go with any engine that could enhance the saber experience. This is a Jedi Knight game after all.. . .

Rumor
08-18-2004, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by sushiman
Aren't JK games always PC-friendly? I mean all of the JK series have been running on every pc and if you take this new Unreal engine, then the title "PC-friendly" will be long gone.

Maybe they should use UT2k4 engine since then, the siege mode will be massed with servers, also UT 2004 engine has a good quality for mod making too.

thats the unreal engine 3, and it won't be out till late 2005-2006

Prime
08-18-2004, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by keshire
That is how the saber system works. Ah good. I thought I had missed something. :)

Tyler_Durden
08-18-2004, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by JDKnite188
I think the next Jedi Knight game should be something revolutionary as opposed to a click-move saber system. The game series otherwise doesn't have a great deal else to offer in comparison to other titles.

I always imagined the possibility of a saber system based on mouse movement. The player uses the keyboard , joystick, or other input hardware to move their body physically. The Left button could be used to rotate the saber to the left; the right would do the opposite. Movement of the mouse would be for performance of a swing. The saber system in this sense would be truly dynamic. There would be no special moves. To block from the swing of another lightsaber, the player would have to move the saber to block accordingly. To block from blaster fire, it wouldn't necessarily be "auto-block." The player would have to move the saber into the general direction of the blaster fire, but a determined force sensitivity could allow for an intermediate "auto-block." The saber would move into a more precise position yet would initially require the saber to be in a general block position.

Problems: dual sabers would be impossible.

Go with any engine that could enhance the saber experience. This is a Jedi Knight game after all.. . .

I actually had a few theories about a system like this in some earlier posts. I thought that the saber should move exactly the way you move the mouse so that if you hold down the left mouse button and do a clockwise or counterclockwise move such as a block, the game would act accordingly. Really the mouse would be the only true movement that would translate into a virtual environment in terms of a sword or saber. So in theory, this would work as a revolutionary idea, however implementing it ingame is another story.

Another idea i had for dual sabers would be to have two mice or mouses but i think moving forward would be too cumbersome so scratch that idea. Unless they implement virtual reality into games, which i think is a ways off.

Emon
08-20-2004, 02:43 AM
Originally posted by BloodRiot
I can believe the Havok system is good... but plz don't say that and give Deus Ex 2 as an example... the physics in that game suck a big one.

Er, didn't I use DX2 as a bad use of physics? Maybe I wasn't clear. I do agree that it's poorly done in that game. Shooting someone in the foot can make them fly through the air for example.

Aradorn
08-20-2004, 03:02 AM
Originally posted by Tyler_Durden
I actually had a few theories about a system like this in some earlier posts. I thought that the saber should move exactly the way you move the mouse so that if you hold down the left mouse button and do a clockwise or counterclockwise move such as a block, the game would act accordingly. Really the mouse would be the only true movement that would translate into a virtual environment in terms of a sword or saber. So in theory, this would work as a revolutionary idea, however implementing it ingame is another story.

Another idea i had for dual sabers would be to have two mice or mouses but i think moving forward would be too cumbersome so scratch that idea. Unless they implement virtual reality into games, which i think is a ways off.

I agree with Tyler, a mouse-controlled saber would be the most realistic way of controlling your lightsaber. It doesnt sound practical, but if they really put effort into it it could become a revolutionary swordfighting engine. I'm not sure how they would integrate movement with saber swinging on the PC, since you would need the mouse to move AND swing your saber, but maybe something like Tyler suggested, hold the mouse button and you move your saber.

My main point, though, is that they should make their OWN engine, instead of using one from another FPS. Espeically since the Jedi Knight series isnt a "traditional" FPS. Sure they're shooting, but a lot of times (multiplayer especially) saber fighting is used more than shooting, so they should create their own engine to reflect that.

keshire
08-20-2004, 05:01 AM
Die by the Sword had mouse "sabering".

Its called VSIM developed by Treyarch.

Its also crap. Even a mouse can't convey the precision needed to make it look "realistic".

In essance the JKA system uses the keyboard for its way of "mouse sabering". I beleive most of you just want to create your own combo anims. Not being satisisfied with the current 5 styles of single saber. And dual and staff.

I beleive the blocking needs to be tweaked. That is where you'll get your realism. Currently the blocks seem "hard" impact. Where as in the movies they all seem to have a "soft" impact against each other.

It'd also be nice to have a way of dynamically twirling the saber mid move.

Master William
08-20-2004, 06:32 AM
Originally posted by keshire
That is how the saber system works.

each direction send the saber in a specific direction.

Press left saber moves right to left. From the left postion you can combo into any other direction. Out of seven.

Seven Cardinal Directions, and each direction combo's into the other seven.

I should know, I'm making a new saber style.

That's not how I meant, unfortunately I cannot really explain well enough

Tyler_Durden
08-20-2004, 07:14 PM
The way i'd implement attacks is by pressing a combination of buttons along with mouse movement. So if you press up twice on the keyboard along with a straight movement of the mouse plus holding down the left mouse button you would do a lunge. I would keep the blocking system the same but i think a big key to success here would be hit detection so as nothing can be passed through without explanation.

I think that the top part of your lightsaber should be the point in which control is measured so if you move the mouse in small circular patterns the saber would act accordingly making those small circular patterns. Basically the tip of your saber is the little arrow you use the mouse with. I havent played Die by the sword but i would be interested in seeing how they implement their system of sabering and perhaps add or subtract that which is unecessary or benficial to the system. maybe then post ideas on how to better or innovate that system and how it would work in the star wars sense.

acdcfanbill
08-20-2004, 07:44 PM
if anyone remimbers when obi wan was going to be on PC, there was a mouse sabering system in development, glyph or something is what they called it, but it got scrapped and obi went to xbox. then we got jk2 to pacify the upset pc people :)

Tyler_Durden
08-20-2004, 08:54 PM
Yeah i heard about that, too bad i thought they might have really had something with that. From what i have read it was similar in theory to the ideas that i had posted. I think my imagining this new system actually came from what i read about in some of the interviews for Obi wan when they were prepping it for development on PC. I think someone at Luca$art$ should really look into this, especially with the new management, they could have another potential "greatest game ever" on their hands a la JK.

Aradorn
08-21-2004, 02:12 AM
Now I kinda agree with both of you...

I definitely think the blocking needs to be more movie-like, as keshire said, but i think that you should have more control over the sayber, as Tyler said. Maybe a parry system? Perhaps a button you press, and if you time it correctly you block oncoming moves. If you block fast enough, it could look like the movies. Then again, that might not work well with the "make your own swing" thing. Ah, I dont know, leave this to the developers
:confused:

As a side note, LOTR: return of the King for the PS2 has something like this, you can use one of the analog sticks to swing your sword, and it has a parry button. I dont think its complex enough for a JK game though.

keshire
08-21-2004, 03:32 AM
you can use one of the analog sticks to swing your sword

But thats the thing. PC's don't have multiple mice. You have the keyboard, and the mouse. One can be used for free-look the other for attacking.

And do you want to use the keyboard for free-look?

As far as saber styles and blocking goes. I have lots of projects that I'm working on to round them out. But the lack of coders in the community limits my progress.

I do think it would work if the keyboard commands were switched over the to mouse using the same exact system though. Even if Free-look would be comprimised.

Tyler_Durden
08-21-2004, 01:45 PM
i figured out the free look and saber moving problem. All you would have to do for attacks and parries and stuff is hold down the left mouse button, which would essentially be the saber control button. When you don't have this button held down the saber would be stationary and would go back to an original position, like holding it at your side or in front of you, based on what style you're using like JA. This would allow you the ability for free look. I think that would be the most efficient way of handling a situation like that. Maybe a use for the right mouse button could also compliment this suggestion?

Maybe by holding both the left and right mouse buttons, this would allow for a free look/attack mode, and maybe allow for special moves like a spinning attack or something, hmmm.

Tinny
08-21-2004, 07:57 PM
left for attack, right for heavy blocks plus higher block or higher block percentage :). i think also that holding the left block button down should be a windup thing to lead to an attack that has a higher chance of breaking a defence, so someone with force defense level 3 can block almost everything, i charge up my saber for about 2 seconds and my saber comes down like a club smashing through their defense, while quickly clicking the left button would do a lotta saber slashes but have little ability to break through defense, great for getting a guy that is charging up his saber in a windup thing :)