PDA

View Full Version : How do I change the look and stats of an item?


insane_pyro28
08-06-2004, 05:51 PM
I've already read those guides and stuff, but I'm still lost.

Right now I'm just wanting to know how to change the stats of a weapon and how it looks.

So far all I know how to do is change the name of an item.

Mono_Giganto
08-06-2004, 06:27 PM
If you're using KT, go to the second tab in the UTI Editor, it should have anything from 1 empty row, to multiple filled rows. Good way to startis by deleting all of the filled rows first. Next, double click a row, and it will bring up a box, where you select the property, and many subproperties. Don't worry, it's really easy.
Before you save your uti file, change the model variation number under the first tab to something unique if you want to give it a custom skin. Then change the resref to someting unique. Save your file with the same name of your resref. Now, after you save it, open it back up in a gff editor, and change the Tag (Very Bottom) to match your resref.

To change the appearance, first, extract on of the original skins for the weapon, like w_lngswrd01 for the weapon Long Sword. Edit this the way you want, and save it with a different number, eg: w_lngswrd10, which is the same as the model variation you used in making the item.

This works for making non-lightsaber items, however the skins on those are a bit more challenging, and their properties are just a teeny bit harder to add, if you choose to make it upgradeable that is.

Hope this helps.

Achilles
08-06-2004, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by insane_pyro28
I've already read those guides and stuff, but I'm still lost.

Right now I'm just wanting to know how to change the stats of a weapon and how it looks.

So far all I know how to do is change the name of an item.

The best I can do is recommend that you schedule a couple of hours to sit down with both the tutorials and the tools right in front of you and try, try again until it makes sense.

A lot of people have put a lot of time into those tutorials (yes, that includes me) and I can tell you that we did not purposely make it ambiguous so that we could come back later and make an "easy" version.

Right now the tutorials that exist are about as simple to follow as they come.

Sorry that I don't have the answer that you were looking for. Feel free to ask specific questions along the way if certain steps don't jive for you. Good luck!

Achilles
08-06-2004, 06:36 PM
Pyro,

Here's a link to a tutorial that may help walk you through the excellent instructions that Mono has provided.

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=132253

I hope that helps

Achilles

Darth333
08-06-2004, 06:50 PM
Once you've read the tutorials, if you have specific questions about things you don't understand, post them.

insane_pyro28
08-07-2004, 01:13 AM
thanks for the help, ill try them out tomorrow probably.

Mav
08-07-2004, 01:24 AM
^^^^
Once you get the hang of it you can make items pretty quickly, when I first started it would take me an hour to make a saber, but now I can bang out a fully customized, as in stats, blade color, hilt design and upgradeable in 15 minutes or less depends how complicated.

If you have any specific questions though fire away, it may take a while to get a response, but you'll get one and from my experience it will be good advice.

RedHawke
08-07-2004, 03:35 AM
^^^^


Yes, listen to Maverick you will, good advice he gives you!



[Mr Burns]

Welcome to the Darkside of modding insane_pyro28..... Muahahahahaha!!!

[/Mr Burns]

More modders = A good thing! :D

insane_pyro28
08-07-2004, 12:07 PM
:) I'll try it later today

EDIT: Ok I just read Achillies tutorial, and now I can configure the stats and description, thanks for the helpful guide!

But I still have the problem of trying to change the portrait.

Achilles
08-07-2004, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by insane_pyro28

But I still have the problem of trying to change the portrait.

What are you trying to do?

insane_pyro28
08-07-2004, 03:17 PM
I'm trying to...change how the wepon looks, like change the color, design, etc.

I already have Photoshop, I just don't know how to get the file or whatever.

Achilles
08-07-2004, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by insane_pyro28
I'm trying to...change how the wepon looks, like change the color, design, etc.

I already have Photoshop, I just don't know how to get the file or whatever.

That's not the portrait, that's the skin. Portraits are only displayed in the interface.

If you would like to reskin an item, I would recommend that you check out the Texture Reskinning portion of the "Do you Want to mod SW-KotOR? Then Start here" sticky thread.

It's usually a good idea to look around in this thread before posting a question to the forum. Odds are that someone may have already answered it for you :D

insane_pyro28
08-08-2004, 12:02 AM
oh i know, I've already looked at that thread, I just must have skimmed over that part or something.

Actually I think thats back before I was even trying to change the skin, I don't know.

Mono_Giganto
08-08-2004, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by maverick187
^^^^
Once you get the hang of it you can make items pretty quickly, when I first started it would take me an hour to make a saber, but now I can bang out a fully customized, as in stats, blade color, hilt design and upgradeable in 15 minutes or less depends how complicated.

If you have any specific questions though fire away, it may take a while to get a response, but you'll get one and from my experience it will be good advice.

LoL and I can make a fully upgradeable blaster in less than 5 minutes now. Yes it gets very easy once you get used to it.

jedi_5002
08-12-2004, 10:59 AM
Originally posted by RedHawke
More modders = A good thing! :D

[Mr. Burns]Excellent.[/Mr. Burns]

:fett: