PDA

View Full Version : KotOR NPCs as party members in TSL

Achilles
08-17-2004, 05:32 AM
Every night the LF site seems to go down for about 20 minutes (nightly server reboot, I'd wager).

Anyway, while I'm waiting for the server to come back, I usually hop over to the Obsidian boards to catch the latest on TSL.

Tonight I found this nugget: we all know that T3-M4 was going to be a NPC in TSL and that others would be making cameos, but apparently, they may be doing more than that.

kumquatq3: I forget if this is answered but: Besides for T3 (and maybe HK), will it be possible to have any party npcs from Kotor join you in K2?

Akari: Yes.

Akari: I've been asked to clarify that a more specific response would be 'Yes, there are is a very limited number of party NPCs from KotOR1 that may join you.' Just in case someone was mislead into thinking absolutely anyone from KotOR1 may join you, because that's certainly not the case.

So, it looks like there may be other KotOR NPCs that can join your party in TSL.

Just thought I'd share :D

RedHawke
08-17-2004, 05:47 AM
^^^^
That is quite interesting indeed! :D And unexpected, I wonder which NPC(s) they are going to surprise us with...

Maybe it's Canderous, after the confrentation with Jagi, he does say something like when Revan is done with what he has to do he'll go off on his own and think about him being happy with his life or something like that.

Morgan_Hearst
08-17-2004, 05:48 AM
In the trailer, when it talks about if the jedi joins the Sith, there is a Mandalorian standing behind the Jedi as part of the party in full mandalorian Battle Armour, complete wth helmet. I assume that is Canderous.

Achilles
08-17-2004, 05:54 AM
Originally posted by RedHawke
^^^^
That is quite interesting indeed! :D And unexpected, I wonder which NPC(s) they are going to surprise us with...

Maybe it's Canderous, after the confrentation with Jagi, he does say something like when Revan is done with what he has to do he'll go off on his own and think about him being happy with his life or something like that.

I was thinking HK-47 just cuz everyone seemed to love him and he was one of the few characters still alive at the end of KotOR no matter which way you play.

Side note: do you ever remember seeing HK at the temple during the LS ending? Hmmm....

Achilles
08-17-2004, 05:57 AM
Originally posted by Morgan_Hearst
In the trailer, when it talks about if the jedi joins the Sith, there is a Mandalorian standing behind the Jedi as part of the party in full mandalorian Battle Armour, complete wth helmet. I assume that is Canderous.

That would be cool indeed. He is another one who lives to the end no matter which alignment you play.

It would be cool if he started out neutral (due to his experiences with Jagi and Revan in KotOR), but then as you go DS he starts to get "The Itch" again. Or if you go LS, he balks that he isn't ready for shuffleboard and charity work and takes off to some Mandalorian assisted-living facility.

RedHawke
08-17-2004, 05:59 AM
Originally posted by Achillies
I was thinking HK-47 just cuz everyone seemed to love him and he was one of the few characters still alive at the end of KotOR no matter which way you play.

Side note: do you ever remember seeing HK at the temple during the LS ending? Hmmm....

It's possible it could be HK-47... he did win those best RPG supporting character awards... :D

And I don't remember if he was in the LS ending... :eyes8:

RedHawke
08-17-2004, 06:02 AM
It would be cool if he started out neutral (due to his experiences with Jagi and Revan in KotOR), but then as you go DS he starts to get "The Itch" again. Or if you go LS, he balks that he isn't ready for shuffleboard and charity work and takes off to some Mandalorian assisted-living facility.

*Spits water on monitor again!*

RLMFAO!!! :rofl:

Mandalorian Assisted-Living Facility... thats good! :D

Achilles
08-17-2004, 06:03 AM
It's possible it could be HK-47... he did win those best RPG supporting character awards... :D

Actually, having both of the droids come back would be consistent to what GL did with the SW series.

It would be funny to see HK-47 actually start talking smack if you play too LS.

Achilles
08-17-2004, 06:04 AM
*Spits water on monitor again!*

That's 2!!!

Morgan_Hearst
08-17-2004, 06:04 AM
Any speculation on who the gold armoured man is in the trailer?

Achilles
08-17-2004, 06:08 AM

All kinds on the Obsidian boards. Some people think it's an armor (like the sith uniforms). Others think it's NPC specific (like the Iridorians).

I personally hope that it's a NPC-specific thing. I personally hope that they include more alien-raced NPCs in TSL. They only gave us 3 in KotOR :(

RedHawke
08-17-2004, 06:08 AM

It could be Canderous, as guessed above, a type of game armor, or an entirely new NPC. It is hard to tell with a teaser trailer.

Either way we will surely see more of him/it in the full game trailer when they release it.

RedHawke
08-17-2004, 06:10 AM
That's 2!!!

Well at least my monitors nice and clean now! :D

Achilles
08-17-2004, 06:26 AM
Well at least my monitors nice and clean now! :D

Glad I could help you out with that.

So, we know that we're headed to Telos. What do you think the odds are that Carth will be one of the potential party members?

Who would you definitely not want to see on your GUI again?

Morgan_Hearst
08-17-2004, 06:32 AM
Just had a dig around the Obsidian boards. It seems that the gold/silver armour guy is a party npc

Link to screenshot for clarification:

Gold Guy (http://screenshots.teamxbox.com/screen/25475/Knights-of-the-Old-Republic-II-The-Sith-Lords)

Here is the evidence:

Have a look at the guy on the right with Kreia. I've seen him in a few screen shots which leads me to believe that he maybe a possible party member (or its a new type of amour that you get to use), does any know anything about him?

Was asked with the above link as a pic. Much later in the thread Akari answers:

The individual in the silver armor in question is a party member

Link to the whole thread:

Obsidian Thread (http://forums.obsidianent.com/index.php?showtopic=2232&st=0)

RedHawke
08-17-2004, 06:43 AM
So, we know that we're headed to Telos. What do you think the odds are that Carth will be one of the potential party members?

Carth would be possible especially if you ended KOTOR on LS, and that could coincide with what they were saying in that the ending of KOTOR will impact your games progression...

But I'm not sure they would put Carth in the game as an NPC partymember...

But this just struck me;

I'm thinking Dustil would be a good NPC choice... he ties in with KOTOR 1, is force sensitive, possibly just as whiny, and it would give your PC a great opportunity to have a master and apprentice relationship, as you teach him the ways of the force...

All of this is contingent on if you went LS and saved him in the academy of course. :D

Zaalbar! :D

Just had a dig around the Obsidian boards. It seems that the gold/silver armour guy is a party npc

I'm definately thinking its a suit of armor on one of the games NPC's they don't want us to see yet!

Just my 2 cents! :D

Achilles
08-17-2004, 06:45 AM

Link to screenshot for clarification:

Gold Guy (http://screenshots.teamxbox.com/screen/25475/Knights-of-the-Old-Republic-II-The-Sith-Lords)

Here is the evidence:

Was asked with the above link as a pic. Much later in the thread Akari answers:

Link to the whole thread:

Obsidian Thread (http://forums.obsidianent.com/index.php?showtopic=2232&st=0)

Now that you've quoted it, I remember reading that. Thanks for the reminder and the link :D

Achilles
08-17-2004, 06:48 AM
I'm thinking Dustil would be a good NPC choice... he ties in with KOTOR 1, is force sensitive, possibly just as whiny, and it would give your PC a great opportunity to have a master and apprentice relationship, as you teach him the ways of the force...

All of this is contingent on if you went LS and saved him in the academy of course. :D

Dustil might be a good choice. Anything to help keep continuity between the two games is sure to be a plus.

I have to ask, "why not" regarding Zaalbar. Not that I necessarily disagree, but would like to know the thought behind that particular decision.

RedHawke
08-17-2004, 07:09 AM
I have to ask, "why not" regarding Zaalbar. Not that I necessarily disagree, but would like to know the thought behind that particular decision.

Well poor old Big Z is pretty much useless after Taris, they gave him a high Strength and the Scout class which is really LAME for a Wookiee, and though he does well with vibroblades, he isn't a very good ranged fighter either, Canderous and Juhani are so much better as a Melee fighters, so he just basically takes up space in my party instead of being able to be useful.

Zaalbar is, by his design, class and stat wise, just ill equipped for the game.

Of course that is just my opinion! :D

Now a new Wookiee NPC with a warrior class and high strength would kick some serious butt, and make better sense! :D

Morgan_Hearst
08-17-2004, 07:12 AM
I tend to agree with Zaalbar. I never used him much in the game as he didn't really have much to say. The same with T3. Never really used him either.

Achilles
08-17-2004, 07:25 AM
Well poor old Big Z is pretty much useless after Taris, they gave him a high Strength and the Scout class which is really LAME for a Wookiee, and though he does well with vibroblades, he isn't a very good ranged fighter either, Canderous and Juhani are so much better as a Melee fighters, so he just basically takes up space in my party instead of being able to be useful.

Zaalbar is, by his design, class and stat wise, just ill equipped for the game.

Of course that is just my opinion! :D

Now a new Wookiee NPC with a warrior class and high strength would kick some serious butt, and make better sense! :D

I was always incredibly frustrated by the fact that you couldn't do much to increase his defense rating. Even giving him Brejik's stuff didn't do a whole lot for him.

He could be the tar out of some stuff with a fully upgraded Yusan's Brand or a pair of Baragwin Assault Blades though :D

Achilles
08-17-2004, 07:28 AM
The same with T3. Never really used him either.

I like to deck him out in the Baragwin stuff and take him with me on the Star Forge for a change of pace. It's a real pain to have to repair him separately thought. Definitely makes the Star Forge a little more of a challenge.

RedHawke
08-17-2004, 07:34 AM
He could be the tar out of some stuff with a fully upgraded Yusan's Brand or a pair of Baragwin Assault Blades though :D

Yes he can, but in a gunfight he drops faster than a lead baloon! :D

Achilles
08-17-2004, 07:44 AM
Yes he can, but in a gunfight he drops faster than a lead baloon! :D

I never really noticed, but I'll take your word for it. The visual was priceless though :rofl:

RedHawke
08-17-2004, 07:59 AM
I like to deck him out in the Baragwin stuff and take him with me on the Star Forge for a change of pace. It's a real pain to have to repair him separately thought. Definitely makes the Star Forge a little more of a challenge.

T3 on the Star Forge... Hmm... :eyeraise:

Achilles
08-17-2004, 08:04 AM
T3 on the Star Forge... Hmm... :eyeraise:

Took Mission and Carth once too....Did a run with T3 and Zaalbar, HK and T3, and even one flying solo (kinda...I had to take Bastila with me on that one....DS and all).

RedHawke
08-17-2004, 08:12 AM
Took Mission and Carth once too....Did a run with T3 and Zaalbar, HK and T3, and even one flying solo (kinda...I had to take Bastila with me on that one....DS and all).

I'm in a rut... I always seem to go with Carth and Jolee (LS), and Bastila and HK (DS).

Though the next time I go LS I'm letting my Jedi Mission out on the forge with Jolee! :D

Achilles
08-17-2004, 08:17 AM
I'm in a rut... I always seem to go with Carth and Jolee (LS), and Bastila and HK (DS).

Though the next time I go LS I'm letting my Jedi Mission out on the forge with Jolee! :D

LS is generally Jolee and Juhani (I take her out a lot more since I turned her into a human redhead :D). DS is usually Canderous (with melee weapons) and Bastila.

EDIT: btw, you can put Juhani in Star Forge robes if you take her with you too :D

RedHawke
08-17-2004, 08:27 AM
LS is generally Jolee and Juhani (I take her out a lot more since I turned her into a human redhead :D). DS is usually Canderous (with melee weapons) and Bastila.

EDIT: btw, you can put Juhani in Star Forge robes if you take her with you too :D

I replaced Juhani with my redheaded recruitable NPC appearance long ago, before I turned the skin into a full NPC recruit.

Funny how we both replaced Juhani with human redheads! :D

Crowy
08-17-2004, 10:09 AM
i have an odd feeling that Revan could be returning. i dont know how... but my reasoning why is the fact you faught along side him in the mandalorian wars

but then again thats coming from my mouth. so its just speculation(sp?) at the present

FiEND_138
08-17-2004, 11:42 AM

Mission, Zalbar, Carth, Cat girl, 'The big B'<props to Prime >.........

Achilles
08-17-2004, 11:48 AM
I replaced Juhani with my redheaded recruitable NPC appearance long ago, before I turned the skin into a full NPC recruit.

I changed her head to the redhead PC selectable skin and her body to Bastila's :D

She looks...and sounds...Italian now.

Achilles
08-17-2004, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by Crowy
i have an odd feeling that Revan could be returning. i dont know how... but my reasoning why is the fact you faught along side him in the mandalorian wars

but then again thats coming from my mouth. so its just speculation(sp?) at the present

Well, Obsidian has stated that there will be a Revan tie-in/appearance, but they aren't providing much in the way of details on that one :)

I guess that's going to be one of those dialog-choices-determines-what-happens-later type of thing.

RubADucky
08-17-2004, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by Achilles
Glad I could help you out with that.

Howabout Carth's son? After you give proof to Dustil that the Sith were bad he left Korriban and went to Telos.

Edit: Oops, nvm somebody already said something about Dustil.

RedHawke
08-18-2004, 01:13 AM
Well, Obsidian has stated that there will be a Revan tie-in/appearance, but they aren't providing much in the way of details on that one :)

I guess that's going to be one of those dialog-choices-determines-what-happens-later type of thing.

That is how it would have to be, since Revan might be Jedi or Sith pending on your KOTOR's ending.

Achilles
08-18-2004, 02:01 AM
That is how it would have to be, since Revan might be Jedi or Sith pending on your KOTOR's ending.

The more I think about this particular aspect of the game ("tell me about what happened last time") the more it seems to me that writing the story for this game must have been a freakin' nightmare.

Trying to intersect about 20 "choose your own adventure" books all at the same time...sheesh!

RedHawke
08-18-2004, 02:22 AM
The more I think about this particular aspect of the game ("tell me about what happened last time") the more it seems to me that writing the story for this game must have been a freakin' nightmare.

Trying to intersect about 20 "choose your own adventure" books all at the same time...sheesh!

Just imagine how large the general outline for it must be, let alone the dialogue outlines... :eyeraise:

That had to have consumed a full third of the games development time just in itself, and you can surely bet it was the first thing they had to conquer or the whole game effort would have been for nothing.

It does make you think... you wonder how many sleepless nights were spent by how many faceless people on the very dialogue we are all going to be happily and blissfully clicking on, or skipping?

Almost makes me feel sorry for them... Or not! :D

Achilles
08-18-2004, 02:30 AM
Just imagine how large the general outline for it must be, let alone the dialogue outlines... :eyeraise:

That had to have consumed a full third of the games development time just in itself, and you can surely bet it was the first thing they had to conquer or the whole game effort would have been for nothing.

It does make you think... you wonder how many sleepless nights were spent by how many faceless people on the very dialogue we are all going to be happily and blissfully clicking on, or skipping?

Almost makes me feel sorry for them... Or not! :D

I guarantee you that I will read every character of every line at least the first two times through...after that, your pity should be for the voice actors :D

RedHawke
08-18-2004, 02:44 AM
I guarantee you that I will read every character of every line at least the first two times through...after that, your pity should be for the voice actors :D

Same here! :D

And yes we should definately pity the poor voice actors... "How many different ways you want me to say this line?" :eyes8:

But after messing with dialogues I will still be in awe for what the games dialogue scripters have done even as I rapidly click over the various TSL NPC lines that I will, by then, know by heart! :)

Achilles
08-18-2004, 02:51 AM

But after messing with dialogues I will still be in awe for what the games dialogue scripters have done even as I rapidly click over the various TSL NPC lines that I will, by then, know by heart! :)

Agreed. I'll never forget the guilt settling over me the first time I created my own dialogue. It was 8 lines long and linear and it took me the better part of an hour....

RedHawke
08-18-2004, 03:02 AM
Agreed. I'll never forget the guilt settling over me the first time I created my own dialogue. It was 8 lines long and linear and it took me the better part of an hour....

Definately! :D With my recruit mod I had 3 dialogues, and they took me the longest time to do of everything else in the whole mod, the recruitment one was like 4-5 hours, the party conversation one was like 2-3 hours, and the exit one was like 1-2 hours.

I did it all with a GFF Editor too! :D

Achilles
08-18-2004, 03:26 AM
I did it all with a GFF Editor too! :D

Wow, you must really enjoy pain. Too good for dlgedit? :D

RedHawke
08-18-2004, 03:58 AM
Wow, you must really enjoy pain. Too good for dlgedit? :D

I have never used TK's dlgedit... so instead of having to learn something new while I try something else new, I just went with what I was used to! :D

Though I am going to give it a try soon for what i'm working on now... and if I get stuck using it I'll have my trusty GFF Editor for backup! :D

Achilles
08-18-2004, 04:35 AM
I have never used TK's dlgedit... so instead of having to learn something new while I try something else new, I just went with what I was used to! :D

Though I am going to give it a try soon for what i'm working on now... and if I get stuck using it I'll have my trusty GFF Editor for backup! :D

No sense of adventure:rolleyes:

Be sure to have Doom Dealer's Module tutorial with you when you use it. Makes it much easier.

RedHawke
08-18-2004, 06:21 AM
No sense of adventure:rolleyes:

Be sure to have Doom Dealer's Module tutorial with you when you use it. Makes it much easier.

Yup... that's why I am going to brave trying that program, is because of DD tuorial! :D

nacho35
08-18-2004, 11:46 AM

I would have loved to have replaced her. I warped from Taris to get your redhead early, so had to replace Zalbar. :(

RedHawke
08-19-2004, 04:36 AM
Originally posted by nacho35
I would have loved to have replaced her. I warped from Taris to get your redhead early, so had to replace Zalbar. :(

[Modmaker Disclaimer]

Just so you know nacho35 warping using any recruit mod can cause unforseen bugs with the mod, and your game, some require the games global variables to be correctly set, so no guarentees on my end if it doesn't work right, especially toward the end of the game.

[/Modmaker Disclaimer]

:D

Achilles
08-19-2004, 06:09 AM
[Modmaker Disclaimer]

Just so you know nacho35 warping using any recruit mod can cause unforseen bugs with the mod, and your game, some require the games global variables to be correctly set, so no guarentees on my end if it doesn't work right, especially toward the end of the game.

[/Modmaker Disclaimer]

:D

Did your recruit mod cause the end cutscene not to load? That happened to my game and I'm wondering if it was my recruit mod

RedHawke
08-19-2004, 06:26 AM
Did your recruit mod cause the end cutscene not to load? That happened to my game and I'm wondering if it was my recruit mod

Mine worked the times I ran it, though I didn't warp through those games, hence the disclaimer to nacho35.

Is your recruited NPC present at the end of the game?

Was it the LS cutscene not loading?

Achilles
08-19-2004, 06:32 AM
Mine worked the times I ran it, though I didn't warp through those games, hence the disclaimer to nacho35.

Is your recruited NPC present at the end of the game?

Was it the LS cutscene not loading?

You mean on the temple entrance? No.

It ran the whole vandar, honor guard thing, the spit me out on the temple entrance with Vandar and all my original NPC's with a item label "Cutscene" directly in front of me.

RedHawke
08-19-2004, 07:11 AM
You mean on the temple entrance? No.

It ran the whole vandar, honor guard thing, the spit me out on the temple entrance with Vandar and all my original NPC's with a item label "Cutscene" directly in front of me.

That is very strange! :confused:

So it skipped the fade out and the end credits part.

Which of your recruited NPC's did you have when that happened?

Achilles
08-19-2004, 07:19 AM
That is very strange! :confused:

So it skipped the fade out and the end credits part.

Which of your recruited NPC's did you have when that happened?

I had both of my modded NPC's with me on the Star Forge, althought they had been replaced at the temple.

No credits, just the cutscene where you escape from the exploding Star Forge.

RedHawke
08-19-2004, 07:35 AM
I had both of my modded NPC's with me on the Star Forge, althought they had been replaced at the temple.

No credits, just the cutscene where you escape from the exploding Star Forge.

You know you should probably bump your 2 recruitable NPC's threads at Holowan Labs and ask in both of them if this has happened for anyone else using one or both of your recruitable NPC mods.

Or anyone elses recruit mods as well.

I can also start a game with both of your Jedi on my end and see if it happens here, and update you in those threads. And if people say it has also happened to them, I have found that people generally don't tell you things you have to ask them, then this would be a good bug to squish before you release the final NPC of the Trio... as always this is just my 2 cents! :)

Achilles
08-19-2004, 11:58 AM
You know you should probably bump your 2 recruitable NPC's threads at Holowan Labs and ask in both of them if this has happened for anyone else using one or both of your recruitable NPC mods.

Or anyone elses recruit mods as well.

I can also start a game with both of your Jedi on my end and see if it happens here, and update you in those threads. And if people say it has also happened to them, I have found that people generally don't tell you things you have to ask them, then this would be a good bug to squish before you release the final NPC of the Trio... as always this is just my 2 cents! :)

Good advice. I'll consider it :D

Thanks!