PDA

View Full Version : ATI Radeon 9800XT vs Nvidia FX5700


Sivy
08-19-2004, 06:58 AM
i want to buy a new graphics card and i've got it down to two options... but i'm unsure of which one to go with. i've been to benchmarking sites to see comparisons, but they all seem to say it's too close to call. the main difference between them is the 9800XT is better with directX, but the FX5700 works better with openGL. so which one should i go for?

Evil Dark Jedi
08-19-2004, 07:09 AM
Id say 9800XT.

Mex
08-19-2004, 07:53 AM
9800XT. I don't know about Geforce 5700s but I know that 5900 sucks so I'd stick with the 9800.

Astrotoy7
08-19-2004, 09:48 AM
I think you dont need to be askin us ! ummm.....Go with the one that the chicks like more......

mtfbwya

Tyrion
08-19-2004, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by Siv
i want to buy a new graphics card and i've got it down to two options... but i'm unsure of which one to go with. i've been to benchmarking sites to see comparisons, but they all seem to say it's too close to call. the main difference between them is the 9800XT is better with directX, but the FX5700 works better with openGL. so which one should i go for?

...can you get either for the same price?

If so, go with the 9800Xt, easily. It's much better than the 5700.(5700 was for the mainstream, 9800xt was for the enthusiast).

I think you dont need to be askin us ! ummm.....Go with the one that the chicks like more......

Repeat after me: I, Astrotoy7, am a horny geek. :p

acdcfanbill
08-19-2004, 10:07 AM
9800xt and 5700 dont really compare to one another. 9800xt vs 5950 ultra would be closter. if they are the same price go 9800. or, if you prefer a good card and no driver probs, go nVidia ;)

Sivy
08-19-2004, 11:12 AM
yes, they're the same price. which is why i'm in too minds. the 9800 does sound better... but then nvidia are always less trouble... so, i don't know :(

leXX
08-19-2004, 11:34 AM
I say forget both of those, and get the GeForce 6800 GT.

Anthony
08-19-2004, 11:38 AM
6800 GT or 9800 Pro, the 9800XT isn't really worth the money.

Sivy
08-19-2004, 12:00 PM
those two are a tad more than i was hoping to spend... then again maybe it would be worth it.

hmmmmmm... think on this, i will.

Tyrion
08-19-2004, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by leXX
I say forget both of those, and get the GeForce 6800 GT.

Mmm..a 6800 Gt..:p

I want one of those, but they're expensive. Might go for a 6600 GT if they really are 25% better than the 9800 Pro.

Infact Siv, I recommend you wait for another month or two until the 6600 GT or the Ati equivelent comes out. They're supposed to be 200 dollars but the 6600 Gt has been rumored to be 25% faster than the 9800 Pro(8000 3dmark03 marks versus the Pro's 6000, however Nvidia is infamous for manipulating scores.)

Anthony
08-19-2004, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by Tyrion


Infact Siv, I recommend you wait for another month or two until the 6600 GT or the Ati equivelent comes out.

Thank you. Wait a month or two. Prices will drop, and new things will come out (ATI X300, ATI X600 etc)

Mex
08-19-2004, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by Tyrion

Infact Siv, I recommend you wait for another month or two until the 6600 GT or the Ati equivelent comes out. They're supposed to be 200 dollars but the 6600 Gt has been rumored to be 25% faster than the 9800 Pro(8000 3dmark03 marks versus the Pro's 6000, however Nvidia is infamous for manipulating scores.)

How much marks?! I only got 4400! :'(

legameboy
08-19-2004, 01:10 PM
So what many of you are saying is wait a month or two to upgrade a video card? I was about to get the 9800 Pro, but it seems as though there are better cards that will drop by the time Half-life 2 is out.

I can go ahead and upgrade my RAM and hard-drive, correct?

I'm planning on upgrading as well as I can so I will be able to play Half-life 2 at some high settings. That game is what I'm upgrading for (besides the fact that I need to upgrade.

Anthony
08-19-2004, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by legameboy
So what many of you are saying is wait a month or two to upgrade a video card? I was about to get the 9800 Pro, but it seems as though there are better cards that will drop by the time Half-life 2 is out.

I can go ahead and upgrade my RAM and hard-drive, correct?

I'm planning on upgrading as well as I can so I will be able to play Half-life 2 at some high settings. That game is what I'm upgrading for (besides the fact that I need to upgrade.

Yes, go ahead and upgrade the RAM and HD. but wait for the video card. I'm waiting till the 9800 pro drops to 200 CAN

Treacherous Mercenary
08-19-2004, 02:05 PM
I'd say the 9800 XT and ATi is suppose to be reworking their OpenGL drivers and such I hear aswell. ;)

Tyrion
08-19-2004, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by Pal™
How much marks?! I only got 4400! :'(

:eek:

I tested 3dmark03 out again with my 9800 Pro, and with it minorly overclocked(384/364) I got 6081 marks. Are you sure you didn't have AF or AA on?

Treacherous Mercenary
08-19-2004, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by Tyrion
:eek:

I tested 3dmark03 out again with my 9800 Pro, and with it minorly overclocked(384/364) I got 6081 marks. Are you sure you didn't have AF or AA on?

How about the new Cat. 4.8 drivers? Any improvements?

legameboy
08-19-2004, 02:57 PM
So what good cards are supposed to drop by the time Half-life 2 comes out?

The X800 perhaps? (I wish.)

Treacherous Mercenary
08-19-2004, 03:10 PM
Hehehe, maybe the X800.. There should be the R480 core with SM 3.0 support in a few months. As for me, I'm getting 9800 Pro! I can't wait and stick with my Geforce2 MX.

Anthony
08-19-2004, 03:23 PM
The price will drop for the X800 in about 6 months to a year. : /

legameboy
08-19-2004, 03:52 PM
So my best bet to running Half-life 2 at ultra-high settings is the 9800Pro or 9800XT?

Tyrion
08-19-2004, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by The Silent One
How about the new Cat. 4.8 drivers? Any improvements?

Barely. I was at around 6020 points with other drivers, now I'm at 8081.

Legameboy- I'd say that the 9800 Pro would probably run well at High, but not too well at Ultra-High if Doom 3 is an indicator of anything.

legameboy
08-19-2004, 05:32 PM
Which would be better? A 9800 Pro or a 9800XT?

I heard you could replace something on the 9800 Pro with a VGA silencer and then bio flash it and it would basically be a 9800 XT.

Of course, I have no clue how to do any of that...

Anthony
08-19-2004, 05:40 PM
I think you can buy "special" 9800 Pros that are flashed with a 9800XT BIOS. Or I think you can use a BIOS flashing program to do it yourself.

9800XTs are better than 9800 pros, but I don't think they're worth the extra cash.

Tyrion
08-19-2004, 05:44 PM
Originally posted by legameboy
Which would be better? A 9800 Pro or a 9800XT?

I heard you could replace something on the 9800 Pro with a VGA silencer and then bio flash it and it would basically be a 9800 XT.

Of course, I have no clue how to do any of that...

Never put custom heatsinks on my video cards, but the performance difference between either isn't that much.(you could probably overclock the 9800 Pro to the xt with stock cooling..but I wasn't that lucky. :/)

Edit- Actually, now that I retested Doom 3, you could probably very easily play Half-life 2 on high. Right now with Doom 3 I'm getting 30-60(average of 45) fps at High quality, 1152X864 with 8xaf. I imagine with Half-life 2 Highest Quality with the same resolution(maybe higher) and 8Xaf.

Treacherous Mercenary
08-19-2004, 10:14 PM
Arctic Cooling is supposed to be great actually. :) But I'd go for an ATi Silencer now that they're released. Maybe ATi Silencer 3, but definately 1. I'll check back on that.

legameboy
08-19-2004, 11:39 PM
9800 Pro then. I guess it's final now.

I'll get that and then I'm getting a Seagate 120 GB hard-drive and upgrading my ram to one gigabyte.

Chewbacco
08-20-2004, 01:14 AM
I have the 5700, and it is overclocked. It runs UT at around an average rate of 38 fps at full settings with full amount of bots on most onslaught levels. I am satisfied with its performance. Its not the best but it okay my level of priorities.

Chew Mein

Crow_Nest
08-20-2004, 05:14 AM
Yeah ATI does have alot of problems with the drivers. My cousin has a 9200 Pro and when he got the 4.7 catalyst JA, Painkiller and Max Payne 2 keeps hanging and crashing. I've also heard the same stories for the 9600 and 9800 too.

Anyway if you're a fan of games like Doom 3 get the 5700, if you're a halflife 2 guy get the 9800XT. But alot of ATI users with the 9600 and 9800 got extremly disappointing performance on Doom 3 not even at the max detail and advance options

Originally posted by Chewbacco
I have the 5700, and it is overclocked. It runs UT at around an average rate of 38 fps at full settings with full amount of bots on most onslaught levels

I had everything maxed out and played UT2004 with at least 50 frames and didnt overclock it. :D

Originally posted by Anthony
The price will drop for the X800 in about 6 months to a year. : /

Thats the same thing happening to the 9800 Pro right now :p

Moral of the story: Dont buy the top-of the line card unless you're those hardcore gamers

Tyrion
08-20-2004, 05:47 AM
Originally posted by |GG|Crow_Nest

Anyway if you're a fan of games like Doom 3 get the 5700, if you're a halflife 2 guy get the 9800XT. But alot of ATI users with the 9600 and 9800 got extremly disappointing performance on Doom 3 not even at the max detail and advance options

Eh, the 9800 Pro is still good at Doom 3, at least for me. Certainly nice looking and smooth.

-Zack-
08-20-2004, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by Siv
i want to buy a new graphics card and i've got it down to two options... but i'm unsure of which one to go with. i've been to benchmarking sites to see comparisons, but they all seem to say it's too close to call. the main difference between them is the 9800XT is better with directX, but the FX5700 works better with openGL. so which one should i go for?

If it's ati radeon 9800 XT then it's the 3rd best cards basically, the better ones are radeon x 800 pro and radeon x 800 xt.

FX cards basically suck, usual PC sellers put FX cards into the pc's always because they cost high, but they suck hard.

Astrotoy7
08-20-2004, 10:01 AM
What I would like to know, is that why do ppl get so hyped up over having the biggest and baddest video cards, when they mostly just use their video card for gaming, and perhaps some DV editing(which I do alot of)...... at the end of the day, if you have a decent card, thats been affordable for you, thats all you need.....

I dont even need to bother worrying about it as being a notebook owner, my choices are *very* limited :p Still, I wouldnt use anything else.... *hugs notebook*

mtfbwya

legameboy
08-20-2004, 10:22 AM
I think I've made my decision...

I'm getting a 9800 Pro. Overall, I think it will run Half-life 2 extremely well, last me about a year and a half or so, and give me great performance on most current games and good performance on future ones.

Correct me if I'm wrong. :xp:

Sivy
08-20-2004, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by Astrotoy7
What I would like to know, is that why do ppl get so hyped up over having the biggest and baddest video cards, when they mostly just use their video card for gaming, and perhaps some DV editing(which I do alot of)...... at the end of the day, if you have a decent card, thats been affordable for you, thats all you need.....


the problem is that new games always need something that older cards aren't capable of doing. i.e pixel shading or openGL 1.5 and/or directX 9+ compatibility.
it used to feel like every time you brought a new game you had to also buy a new video card just to play it.
however nowadays it’s easier to ‘stay ahead of the game’.
thats why buying a new video card is important, especially to gamers. the last thing you want is to shell out a boat load of cash for a card that wont work with next year's games.

legameboy
08-20-2004, 11:16 AM
I went to pricegrabber.com and the 9800 XT was as much as the X800! :confused:

Treacherous Mercenary
08-20-2004, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by legameboy
I went to pricegrabber.com and the 9800 XT was as much as the X800! :confused:

Surprisingly, yes, but they are also being phased out also. I guess it costs more to make compared to 9800 Pro when you get down to hardware.

legameboy
08-20-2004, 09:26 PM
Ah...

So basically, to summarize every post in this thread, it would be:

Screw the 9800 XT, get the 9800 Pro.

Hmm?

Tyrion
08-20-2004, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by legameboy
Ah...

So basically, to summarize every post in this thread, it would be:

Screw the 9800 XT, get the 9800 Pro.

Hmm?

Pretty much.

Crow_Nest
08-21-2004, 03:07 AM
Originally posted by sushiman
FX cards basically suck, usual PC sellers put FX cards into the pc's always because they cost high, but they suck hard.

Who said it sucks? I ca run UT2k4 at MAXIMUM detail and get 50 - 60 over FPS. And in a HL2 benchmark the 5900 Ultra beat the 9800 Pro with 4x AA and AF. The FX 5700 Ultra is also as good as the 9600 Pro.

Both ATI and NVIDIA are equally good, they have advangates and disadvantages in many games

Tyrion
08-21-2004, 03:57 AM
Originally posted by |GG|Crow_Nest
And in a HL2 benchmark the 5900 Ultra beat the 9800 Pro with 4x AA and AF. The FX 5700 Ultra is also as good as the 9600 Pro.

I assume you mean the article by Firing Squad? If you do, they said in the article that the 5900 Ultra and below used DirectX 8.1, while the 9800 used DirectX 9. Thus meaning that the 9800 Pro was worked harder than the 5900 Ultra(they said that the 5900 ultra performed too poorly under DirectX 9).

Crow_Nest
08-21-2004, 04:58 AM
It wasnt from firing squad but i cant remember where i read it, it was a link somewhere on the hl2.net forums.

Besides, 8.1 and 9.0 doesnt make a lot of noticeable difference execpt 9.0 is slightly brighter and clearer.

There are 2 pics of DX 8.1 and 9 here (Its at the bottom) http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/halflife2/screenindex.html?page=3

Tyrion
08-21-2004, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by |GG|Crow_Nest
[B]I
Besides, 8.1 and 9.0 doesnt make a lot of noticeable difference execpt 9.0 is slightly brighter and clearer.

Yeah, but then the 9800 Pro would still be as fast if not faster than the 5900 Ultra when it also runs in DirectX 8.

There are 2 pics of DX 8.1 and 9 here (Its at the bottom) http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/halflife2/screenindex.html?page=3

Yeah, there isn't much of a difference between Direct X 8.1 and 9, Unreal Tournament 2k4 still looks great to me.

acdcfanbill
08-22-2004, 05:24 PM
of course dx8 and dx9 will run dx8 games similarly. dx8 wont run any dx9 games the same tho ;)