PDA

View Full Version : How to get the most out of each civ

Admiral Vostok
08-26-2004, 03:52 PM
It's been a long time since we had any sort of tactics or strategy discussion here, and what with the forums having been a bit dead over the past few days, I thought why not.

So, the civs in SWGB don't differ greatly, but they do differ enough that different tactics can be used from civ to civ.

Let's go through and highlight the best parts of each civ, and how certain bonuses or unique techs they get can be used to their full potential.

I'll start off by doing Naboo, which I know the most about.

Royal Naboo
The strength of Naboo is definitely in the air. My air-whoring is famous, but I don't really air-whore with any other civ. The reason air whoring is so good with Naboo comes from several unique bonuses the Naboo get. First of all, their Nova mining bonus allows you to quickly get the Nova you need. As everyone knows, I always go for Holocrons, because Naboo also get a bonus to Holocron Nova generation. The next element that contributes to successful air-whoring is Taxation, the unique Naboo tech that makes all military units cheaper. Cheaper air means more air for the same price. Finally, and this is the main strength of Naboo air, the Advanced Engines unique tech might only add 10% speed, but I think it is priceless. Compared to the Naboo, other civ's fully upgraded bombers just move too slowly, and you lose too many on the way in, but Naboo Bombers with that tiny bit of extra speed gives them an amazing edge.

Another interesting bonus for the Naboo is their Cannons. Thanks to the Taxation and the Battle Armour unique techs, Naboo have the cheapest and toughest Cannons out of the rest of the civs. Protected by Fighters, Naboo Cannons really have an edge.

Jedi are the other strength of the Naboo, although I rarely use them. With Taxation they are quite affordable, second only to Republic.

Naboo naval units are also great. Fully upgraded, they are amongst the best in the game, and as pbguy can attest, an unexpected attack from the water can be devastating.

The biggest drawback for Naboo is that while their air and sea units are great, the rest of them are not so much. Their Troopers and Mechs are amongst the worst in the game. However (and this is something I need to work on doing a bit more) some of these units should be used in support of the stronger elements. Of particular note are Royal Crusaders; fully upgraded they can be very useful, however they are expensive and take forever to build. The Naboo's Strike Mechs and Grenadiers can also be fairly decent, as they have access to most of the decent upgrades.

So let's keep it going! In particular I'd like to hear pbguy's views on Rebels, saberhagen's views on Wookiees and Viceroy's views on the Confederacy.

swphreak
08-26-2004, 09:52 PM
Well, I'm usually my predictable Trade Federation self.

A plus about them is the no prefabs deal. I like it because I'm lazy and don't really like having to deal with them. That usually means that I can get some workers out faster...

Let's see, I don't build really build much in the way of troops. I think they look flimsy and stuff. I'm sure their mechs are good, but I never build them either cuz I'm usually spending my resources on Destroyer Droids. They're excellent against troop units, and if you have enough in a group, they can hold their own against Mech units.

Air isn't really that good, so I just stick AA Mobiles and Turrents. I haven't done much naval, so I don't know how they compare.

My tactics basically involve getitng to T3 as fast as possible and build Destroyer Droids.

DK_Viceroy
08-27-2004, 12:09 PM
A Pleasure to enlighten people on the wonders of the confederacy

The Confederacy Of Independant Systems

The Strenght Of The Confederacy lies in it's Flexibility it's ability to change from using One strategy to another with remarkable speed due to it's ability for the late game boom, The Confederacy Becomes A formidable advesery in Tech Level 4 where it gets access to all of mit's unique upgrades and this is helped by removing the slight teching delay other civs must endure when they choose to reserach Basic training which the confederacy gets for free.

The confederacy is best with combined arms strategies where it can fully utilise it's economy to produce A constant stream of units that can steam roll any oponent into a sodden mass. The Geonosian warrior is an excellent Unique unit however the upgrade to Elite Geonosian Warrior is about as much use as a rubber haddock, The confederacy Can utilise Troopers and Heavy weapons with little problems as their Heavy weapons can now keep up with the troopers and once both fully upgraded are a dominating force on the battle filed.

I usually use Mass Troopers with Mechs mixed in supported heavily with heavy weapons usually on a ratio of 5 troopers to one mech to 2 Heavy weapons. I rarely use air since The Confederacy's anti air mobiles also benefit from geonosian engineers which can allow Anti Air mobiles when massed to simply swat Air out of the sky. If ever troopers necome useless I can easily discard them as a main force and employ the Confederacy's mechs and mix it up with troopers. If the Situation drags on and carbon becomes scarce Animals can be built relativeley cheapely and quickly and always shore up any force.

The confederacy is Primarily a Tech 4 Civ as it gets all but one of it's advantages then and Can boom considerably easier comapred to every other civ in the game.

The confederacy has weak Sea units Air Units and Sith. But since Fully Upgradded Repeater Troopers of the Confederacy can easily wipe out jedi that is rarel;y a problem and the resilience of the confederacy economky can easily allow a player to produce an overwhelming force of naval units to outwiegh any disadvantages and the effcectiveness of Conefederacy AA makes Air a slight irritant nwhen the player knows what to expect. The confederacy Is easily the most adaptable civ in the game and with an ally usually one of the best.

Here's a tech list for any who don't know what confederacy techs can do.

Geonosian Dilligence

Workers work +10% faster, and now have a +2 attack against troopers and buildings, and a +4 attack against Turrets

Confederacy Alliance

Increases the hit points of the spaceport +500 and +25 for the Hover Cargo. The Hover Cargos speed is also increased by +10%.

Droid Upgrades

All troopers have +25 HP and attack is increased by +3

Geonosian Engineers.

Heavy Weapon Factory units gain +10% speed; lowers the reload time (except for Pummels) by second per shot

Kryllith
08-27-2004, 03:16 PM
While I like to play all the civs, I prefer playing moderate turtling/booming rather than the full on booming that others do. While the grab for resources is important, getting the most out of them, to me, is moreso. Thus, we have the gungans.

The primary strength of the gungans is their staying power, both in the bulk of their units and in their buildings. Gungan buildings heal over time (in CC anyway) so damage suffered through beaten down rushes are cheaper to fix. You can simply let them heal themselves, or use worker to speed up the process. Either way, the self-healing ability of the building will decrease the reparations cost in both resources and time.

Unit wise, Gungans have the best healing in the game. While their healers may not get the special upgrades of a couple of other civs (such as the Republic), they have the advantage of being able to heal every unit except mechs and heavies. Thus they can heal air (including air cruisers--that alone can save you a bundle), ships, and Fambaas in addition to their workers/soldiers/jedi/medics. Since Gungan healers can heal air/ships, workers don't need to be pulled away from resource gathering to repair them, nor are resources used to heal them, thus you can keep a healthy air force/navy with your cost being only a few medics.

The Fambaa shield-generators more than double (taking shield healing into account) the hps of gungan ground units/buildings which further contribute to the Gungan staying power. Combined with medics to keep them (and the rest of the army) healthy, Fambaa can prolong the life of friendly units, allowing extra time for reinforcements to arrive or unit juggling to allow more time for healing.

Another Gungan strength is their ships. Gungans have the strongest ships, with access to virtually all of the naval upgrades and, I believe, one or two unique upgrades. Gungans also have stealth frigates which make excellent scouts. While they lack the mobility range of the Jedi Starfighter, they typically come cheaper and work very well at widdling down armies en masse. Combined with a transport and some healers, the Gungan navy offers incredible power.

Noticeable weaknesses...

Jedi: Gungans only have access to Padawan, meaning they don't have access to higher level powers. The Gungans inability to convert can prove disasterous when one of their Fambaa's is converted away from them. Having a bounty or two along to protect the fambaa may be wise.

Map Dependency: While Gungans can perform decently on waterless maps, the lack of water does cut out one of their primary strengths.

Air Force: Gungans have weak air come Tech 4, lacking both armour and shields. However, because Gungan air is healable, their fighters make decent scouts and/or hit-and-run fighters. Also, the ability to heal Gungan air makes them potentially the best Air Force in Tech III, before other civs gain Tech IV improvements.

Kryllith

FroZticles
08-27-2004, 11:45 PM
Confederacy economy is no better than anyone elses. You should have finished booming late t3 or early t4. Plus it needs 400 nova crystals i'd rather spend that on artillary, research or mechs.

DK_Viceroy
08-28-2004, 10:43 AM
I usually research Geonosian Dilligence trhe second i hit tech 4 so it's very useful. I think the general point of a boom is that you keep booming. With that tech the confederacies econ becomes better than any other civ's. you'll notice they get no economical disadvantages and this tech makes all their workers better opposed to civs like the TF where it makes wokrers ORE mining rates better. Coupled with it's 25% trade bonus that makes it economically the best civ.

Admiral Vostok
08-28-2004, 04:39 PM
Some good stuff here. I'm particularly interested in Kryllith's take on the Gungans since I'll be using them next forum game ;)

In terms of resource gathering and trading, the Confederacy would appear to be the best economically. However, the Trade Federation's techs that give them cheaper buildings and cheaper research shouldn't be overlooked in this regard. The Confederacy can get more stuff, but the Trade Federation spends less of their stuff.

FroZticles
08-28-2004, 08:09 PM
Well i guess I can't compare since I cap my workers at 150-170. I really can't keep booming after that. Geonosian Dilligence is not good just because you research it as soon as you hit t4 :rolleyes:

swphreak
08-28-2004, 11:24 PM
Originally posted by Admiral Vostok
However, the Trade Federation's techs that give them cheaper buildings and cheaper research shouldn't be overlooked in this regard. The Confederacy can get more stuff, but the Trade Federation spends less of their stuff.

How silly of me, those techs are very helpful for me. I'm able to build a few more defenses and research a bit faster (it's faster for me anyways) since it's a bit cheaper.

saberhagen
08-29-2004, 10:14 AM
Wooks: best art/repeater combo. Good air, but it's expensive. MDs are passable, strikes terrible. Jedi no good, but I don't use jedi. I'm not really that much of a wook player anyway.

When I played a lot on the zone I'd mostly play confeds. They're a very good rush civ. The free basic training gives you an important edge early game. You can make 2 extra mounties before you start mining nova, which is a huge advantage in T1 and T2 rushes. I like to have 4 mounties to follow up my T2 trooper rushes as even with no upgrades 4 mounties will take down a power core in 14 seconds.

Reeks can be useful supporting T3 strike rushes under the right circumstances. Their bonus against turrets makes them as good as pummels, but for only 125 food. If you find unhoused turrets protecting the enemy carbon patch, 4 reeks will take them down in just under 30 seconds. You'd need 8 mounties to achieve the same effect, which is a lot of nova at that stage in the game, which might be better spent getting war centre upgrades for strikes. Nexus are not much good for anything and by the time you can get acklays they'll be sluahgtered by repeaters so they're not worth it.

Geos are excellent for raiding as they kil workers very quickly. Pure geo rushes are hard to pull of because it takes a lot of ore to build the fort, but you can use them later in T3 to distract the enemy and damage their econ. Geos are also good for supporting ground troops because they kill even FU repeaters in one shot and can take out unprotected air cruisers.

Art/repeater is their main strength in T4. MDs are not outstanding but OK and you'll inevitably need some.

AFAIK the geo diligence doesn't have as much effect as it claims to, but I've never tested it in detail myself. Best leave that sort of thing to "this Pompei person". ;)

DK_Viceroy
08-29-2004, 05:21 PM
Maybe the TF yeah but it's a case of looking at their carbon disavantage propably balances it out, The TF doesn't need shelters but the slower carbon harvesting is usually a bit of a disadvantage early game while the confederacy doesn't have such problems and they also do get their trade bonus which propably matches their cheaper buildings since i think the price reduction isn't a huge amount the same for the cheaper tech.

Admiral Vostok
08-30-2004, 06:43 AM
Just thought I'd add after that last game that I now believe the key to success with the Royal Naboo is Strike Mechs. With Taxation they're cheap to mass, and the help counter the anti-air ground units that Fighters and Bombers might have trouble with.

DK_Viceroy
08-30-2004, 11:30 AM
Do not crow on about that tactic for too long pretty soon people on the receiving end will learn how to break it even I have a few ideas already and i'm usually your ally.

Admiral Vostok
08-30-2004, 12:28 PM
Well I considered not crowing on about it, but then I decided people are going to figure it out whether I crow on about it or not. So I will crow on about it.

DK_Viceroy
08-31-2004, 02:11 AM
all i was advising is not to make your strategy too well known i'm sure the strategy center would love picking it apart i might even flag their attention to that.

Admiral Vostok
08-31-2004, 06:32 AM
But if I use my strategy, it's effectively making it well known, so why keep it a secret? The "strategy center", whatever it is, can pick it apart all they want, it seems to work for me.

DK_Viceroy
08-31-2004, 09:36 AM
The bStrategy center is elsewhere on the forum. But if it was picked apart and was easily countered we'd be back to you oscilating between civs again

Admiral Vostok
09-01-2004, 07:08 AM
Maybe so. Personally I don't think it's such a complicated tactic that it warrants picking apart. I was having trouble with AA Troopers, Naboo has decent Strike Mechs, so I came to the logical conclusion. That's all there is to it.

DK_Viceroy
09-02-2004, 01:49 AM
Certainly will be interesting next game then.

FroZticles
09-03-2004, 03:15 AM
The Naboo strike mech strat has been done for years, its very effective for hit and runs when you research speed. As long as you avoid masses a Mech destroyers they will dominate and rip apart economies.

Admiral Vostok
09-03-2004, 04:58 AM
Well I didn't think I would have been the first one to realise their potential.

DK_Viceroy
09-04-2004, 04:32 AM
Anyway enough of that, Is anyopne else hoping this game round we get another epic battle like we did a few weeks ago, that was cool how it lasted something like 3 hours and we used every piece of carbon on the map, I wouldn't mind a match like that at all who else is with me on that?

Admiral Vostok
09-04-2004, 06:03 AM
Yeah that was great. Perhaps it was the most balanced teams we've ever had, combined with the map and the starting locations that made it such an epic game.

If I remember correctly it was saberhagen/Nitro/me vs pbguy/Viceroy/Phreak.

DK_Viceroy
09-04-2004, 06:39 AM
Perhpas we could play with the same map again but how about we make it Giant this time so it'll take a little bit longer to run out. The map BTW was Ice Lake, we could do other things towars the end of re-enacting it even the the extent of digging up the save game and restoring that heh

General Nitro
09-04-2004, 06:51 AM
Can someone give me the run-down on the Empire. I use them all the time, but I don't think I use them to thier full advantage.

DK_Viceroy
09-04-2004, 07:03 AM
Use their assault mechs and cheap fighters more and upgrade them both fully.

Admiral Vostok
09-04-2004, 07:36 AM
The Empire's Mech Destroyers are fantastic when fully upgraded, and a swarm of them is very decent.

With respect to air, although they can't compete with air-strong civs they have an edge just as you enter T3. Because the Empire gets cheaper Aircraft you can mass produce them in T3 and get an edge over even air-strong civs.

A group of fully upgraded Assault Mechs are extremely scary, but they need to be supported or they can be dropped like flies.

DK_Viceroy
09-04-2004, 07:48 AM
Though nyou often learn things like that by experience. Best way i once found to combat Assault mechs of any civ was to send a few ackalys or nexu's or reek since they're all melee any damaga to them damages your assault mechs.

Nitro what you want to do is boom and the keep booming build some of every prodcution buidling and the upgrade as a priority the units you know you will use decide early on if you wanna use air or mass AA. once you've upgradded what you think you want to use start slowly upgrading what you think you won't use while building up your army once your pop throw quite a bit of resources into as many techs as possible and don't be afraid to switch to another strategy, The Empire's main strength is the fact that it's good at a bit of everything and if you've been steadily upgrading you can exploit this by dictating what your enemy's respone is. For example you build assault mechs first time round with heavy air support they then have to choose between making jedi and aa or assault mechs and air. either way you send in next wave strike's and mech destroyers and AA troopers or mobiles you slaughter them this forcves them to dilute their forces with a bit of everything while you'll have the advantage because you know what your making next but you put them at the disadvanateg because of your ability to change strategies with relative ease, that is if you steadily upgrade everything even in you hate using them or rarely use them, also research altered Bargains in the spaceport this allows you to cheaply manage your resources by trading surpluses.

saberhagen
09-04-2004, 11:10 AM
Empire are also good at countering jedi cos they have more detector units than anyone else. When you're in T4 if you make a probot or 2 in every CC it makes it very hard for jedi to sneak into your weak spots.

Admiral Vostok
09-04-2004, 11:51 AM
Does having a detector garrisoned in a building make that building a detector? I didn't know that...

DK_Viceroy
09-04-2004, 12:32 PM
does that work though?

saberhagen
09-05-2004, 03:11 AM
I don't know about that, I just meant that if you have a few probots hanging around your vulnerable areas they'll spot any jedi masters sneaking in. If you can keep them in sight with a detector you can kill them with repeaters and mounties. The empire has an advantage here because probots are very cheap and build quick, and dark troopers also detect stealth.

Admiral Vostok
09-05-2004, 06:40 AM
Ah okay, I misunderstood you when you said "make a probot or two in every CC".

I'd also like to add while on this general subject that having Airspeeders as detectors is a benefit for the Rebellion. Although they aren't cheap like Probe Droids, the fact they are aircraft and as such only vulnerable to turning (not lightsaber death) makes them good defenders against Jedi.

DK_Viceroy
09-06-2004, 11:29 AM
Come On Now enough Babbling about Detectors Let's get back to the civ's

saberhagen
09-06-2004, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by DK_Viceroy
Come On Now enough Babbling about Detectors Let's get back to the civ's

FU Confederate pots will own any kettles in this game. ;)

DK_Viceroy
09-06-2004, 11:45 AM
What are You Talking About?

You are Mad

He Is Mad

You Are All Mad

Will It Ever END?

You are All raving Him Especially.

Nurse these Loons Need Immediate Removal To An Asylum, And Don't Forget The Shock Treatment Maybe A Few Short Shocks or one of those Long Ones Yes Plenty Of Those But Get There There Quick And Throw Away The Key And Weld The Dorrs Shut And Then Bury The Place 16 Miles Under The Surface

saberhagen
09-07-2004, 03:27 AM
QED

DK_Viceroy
09-07-2004, 05:59 AM
Stop it with the nonsenseical abbreviations.

Admiral Vostok
09-07-2004, 07:31 AM
QED is not a nonsensical abbreviation. Most people with some at least some schooling have encountered it. It stands for the Latin phrase "quod erat demonstrandum", which means "which was to be demonstrated".

DK_Viceroy
09-07-2004, 11:06 AM
I Go to High school you loon that is hardly going to be in in books i can imagine it now

"sir what does this mean"

half a dozen times

the publisher would be shot by stressed out teachers.

I have only 3 words to this

Hostis Humanis Generis

Admiral Vostok
09-07-2004, 11:24 AM
Well it was in all my textbooks when I was in high school. It's used in Maths and Science.

DarthMuffin
09-07-2004, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by Admiral Vostok
Well it was in all my textbooks when I was in high school. It's used in Maths and Science.

Especially maths. Don't remember using it in science though....

But I did have 4 years of latin in high school. Always useful when you want to insult someone and look smart at the same time. :)

But this is getting awfully off-topic, so we should get back on the civs :)

I don't have much experience with the newer strats/unit combos since I haven't played CC at a competition level for ages. However, from the few games I remember (and recorded games I watched), I found that the Republic wasn't really popular. That's quite sad, if you ask me, because the Reps are nice to play.

Like I said, I'm really rusty, and I've never been an expert anyway. But here's my short (very short) analysis of the Galactic Republic.

By looking at the strong units, you can see that the Reps look much like the rebels. Unit and tech speaking, the differences are : better air for the rebs, better Jedi for the GR. The troopers can be considered (IMO) equal because of the ludicrous building speed of the GR (the rebs have the edge for mounties, though).

Before T4, all the civs are not so different from each others (IMO). Apart from the very small 5% here, 10% there, most of the unique techs come at T4 (if I remember correctly). At T3 however, you get the UU. To be honest, I have no idea how to use the Jedi starfighter correctly. If I build one, it's for scouting. Advices are welcome :)

I'll skip the usual T1 and T2 rush / harrass, because it's the same for every civ.

At T3, most people either go for air, or mechs. For me, it makes more sense to go air with the GR, since you'll have more upgrades later on. Depending on the situation, however, it might be a good idea to go strikes too. But I like to go air. Don't forget to secure holos, if possible.

At T4, it's where the GR really shines, IMO. Call it the "Golden Tech Level", if you want. First, you get your all powerful masters. With enough nova, tou can crank them out and do serious damage. Going air would also be a decent option, but it's mostly for AA (maybe a bomber / Air C. combo would be nice too? I don't know). When you get the cloners upgrade, the fun starts. If you managed to get a decent economy rolling, you can pump troopers non stop. Very nice if you convert (using your extremely powerful cloaked masters) enemy barracks and cores too. Those ultra fast troopers are probably the best part of playing the GR, expecially combined with the Jedi masters. The Sight Beyond Sight upgrade is nice too.

I guess that's it. Like I said, I might be completely outdated (and that's probably the case), but I just felt like someone had to represent the GR here.

So don't be too hard on me if I sound extremely n00bish!

Admiral Vostok
09-07-2004, 04:14 PM
Sounds good Darth. You should join us for our forum games on Sundays. We haven't got a Republic player ;)

FroZticles
09-08-2004, 02:14 AM
Lol relying on masters is suicide. First off you would need a hell of alot of nova and secondly a half decent player would know what your up to as soon as you have a temple and he sees you going mass nova. I would personally use hit and runs at your nova spots and do a fort push in early tech3 so Jedi are nothing since I would have a fort ready to pump out BH if you somehow managed to pump out the kind of Jedi you are thinking of.

Kryllith
09-08-2004, 05:58 AM
Don't know that he's necessarily going for massed masters. Think the point is that given all the Jedi powers the Rep gets, you get more bang for the Master. Course you're still going to need nova to pay for the all the upgrades, hence the focus on holocrons. I've never been one to hoard Jedi, but given their capabilities, especially on in Jedi-strong civs, just a few jedis can wreck havoc, especially if they can cloak and convert. Like he mentioned, get a core and a barracks and you've a good chance to start grinding an opponent down. Heck, even if you manage to produce a piddling amount of troopers before the barracks is taken out, you've still potentially managed to cut productivity of nearby buildings to 1/4. Toss in a 3rd jedi and grab a shield generator and you'll have even more fun. And, of course, the Jedi can pull back to hide/heal if need be and come back again for another conversion run. BH are, of course, a problem which is why I usually stash a air transport/fighter escort a little ways back when doing a conversion strike.

As for the Starfighters, Darth54, you've pretty much hit what they're often used for... scouts. Fact is, if I'm playing Reps I typically won't start building Starfighters til Tech IV, when access to mind trick and sight-beyond-sight become available. The Starfighter has a decent weapon damage-wise but its reload speed takes much too long. Try attacking with it without the ability to hide between attacks and you're just asking to get wiped out. After you can cloak though, they're good for killing workers and, if need be, Air Cruisers.

Kryllith

DK_Viceroy
09-08-2004, 06:23 AM
Bounty hnters arn't Nearly as effective as you thin an army of thw two with all possible upgardes and equal numbers of both and the jedi will always win. That happened to me once when it's better to use BH's as scouts and then mass repeaters with Purge they fire so fast and do decent damage :bdroid2: especially my droids:bdroid2: that I think they're a better deal and cheaper too, something that i Think everyone now thinks is important after Ice Lake Epic and for me and PB during our game i wasn't sure about him but i had nearly harvested all the carbon in my secure zone i was considering to go and secure my territory where phreak had been, I would have thought that you guys would have counter attacked and seized there since i had nothing there except a mining operation.

Admiral Vostok
09-08-2004, 07:00 AM
It's true that equal numbers of Bouty Hunters vs equal numbers of Jedi Masters will see the Jedi win. However, the Bounty Hunters cost a lot less, so it should be this way. Nevertheless, in my experience people rarely build Bounty Hunters unless they have a major Jedi problem, since Bounty Hunters aren't great against anything other than Jedi. What this means is that if your first assault with Jedi Masters isn't successful, you'll probably have a hard time mounting a second Jedi Master assault since the player would have built some Bounty Hunters.

However, when I'm playing against computer players the Jedi Master mass conversion is a lot of fun. Computer players always have a shield generator covering a troop center in the middle of their base, so you convert a power core, convert the shield generator and convert the troop center and you'll have some fun. Whilst havoc is ensuing, convert some nearby workers to build whatever you want. It's also good to convert turrets. Of course this doesn't necessarily work against human players.

DK_Viceroy
09-08-2004, 08:32 AM
Looks like i'll have to start and bother buidling a sith temple just for Purge, I wouldn't want any of my :bdroid2:Superior Droids:bdroid2: Since i nearly always have the highest research count and rarely use nova that shouldn't be too much of a problem.

lukeiamyourdad
09-08-2004, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by Darth54
But I did have 4 years of latin in high school. Always useful when you want to insult someone and look smart at the same time. :)

Are you the guy who insulted me in latin and I beat the geek out of him?!

Anyway...

I always saw the masters as the finish off unit. You build them at the end when the enemy is almost gone and just convert away.

DarthMuffin
09-08-2004, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by lukeiamyourdad
Are you the guy who insulted me in latin and I beat the geek out of him?!

Anyway...

I always saw the masters as the finish off unit. You build them at the end when the enemy is almost gone and just convert away.

I never played you (as far as I know), and only use latin with my friends :) So it's not me!

The "insult" someone told you is probably not really bad. When studying a language used 2000 years ago, you don't get to learn the trash. Also, since latin is a dead language, the modern insults don't exist. Of course you can use some basic words to create a would be insult, but it would be something like " Your mom is ugly!". To create a really bad insult would require much time (for me, at least).

So the guy probably said something he heard or read, without actually knowing what he was saying.

And for my small "review" : I guess I don't sound so bad. But if I play, it's going to be a disaster. I might, someday, join one of your game, but I would need to practice first :)

FroZticles
09-08-2004, 04:18 PM
I know a Jedi can beat a BH 1v1. You only plant 3-5 in your army of mechs,troops whatever and watch the robes hit the floor if you even get to t4 with that Jedi strategy that is.

DK_Viceroy
09-08-2004, 10:48 PM
I know it's useless trivia but Latin is still spoken in some places in world like the Vatican city amongst others.

Admiral Vostok
09-09-2004, 06:27 AM
Originally posted by FroZticles
I know a Jedi can beat a BH 1v1. You only plant 3-5 in your army of mechs,troops whatever and watch the robes hit the floor if you even get to t4 with that Jedi strategy that is. That's assuming that (1) the Masters are not supported by their own army and (2) the Masters are running right at you army instead of infiltrating as the should be. Neither of these will happen with any decent player.

Looks like i'll have to start and bother buidling a sith temple just for PurgeI think this is a point that warrants more discussion: the difference between having purge and not having purge. Indeed, I think one of the strengths of the Confederacy is the fact they can get Purge, as it can be invaluable when facing Jedi-strong civs, especially with some of the powerful units the Confederacy has. Also, the fact the Naboo can't get Purge is certainly one of their weaknesses.

DK_Viceroy
09-09-2004, 08:32 AM
That also raises another point when you convert do you rteain the upgrades unique or generic or do you loose them or do you retain them and your own are added also.

Especially since if you loose all upgrades completly that may not be much of a problem but if it's otherwise and combines other things that that means that it can make a tech player very dangerous if he has many unique techs and likes jedi.

either way i'm going to have to build a sith temple and research purge. Jedi do make a good strike force but if used correctly they can be used as an army since it's easy to mass assault mechs later on in games and i think a jedi costs the same as one so it's always up to debate, If i ever use Sith Knights i'd use them as Mech attackers amongst other things just need to get them within minimum range and they can do a number of course the same is True of my fearsome beasts so I may decide to deploy those more often since i've only used em once in hard and desperate times, that ice lake map and they served me well since if my attack had failed nitro could have gone on the offensive and wiped me out and that match would have ended far differently.

Maybe we should have a discussion thread discussing what units and buidlings are useful and which are useless we could combine that with techs and bonuses.

Admiral Vostok
09-09-2004, 08:47 AM
That also raises another point when you convert do you rteain the upgrades unique or generic or do you loose them or do you retain them and your own are added also.This is something I'm not sure about either. Most of the time the converted unit retains the upgrades they had before they were turned, and I don't think your upgrades are added to them. For example, Often I've turned other Jedi Masters, but they won't be Republic Masters so they don't have Sight Beyond Sight, and they still don't even after I've turned them (as Republic). However I do seem to remember a game long ago where I converted a Geonosian Warrior and he became shielded because I had shields for my Aircraft... but I could be mistaken.

DK_Viceroy
09-09-2004, 08:49 AM
Vostok that is exactly what provoked my question since One of my geos was converted and he got sheilding which he should have had anyway if the upgrade to elite did what it said in the friggin manual.

lukeiamyourdad
09-09-2004, 11:22 AM
When converting, stats such as attack, defense and hp remain but yours are not added.
Shielding is the only exception. The game views the geo warrior as somekind of fighter so it gives it shield when converted into an air-strong civ. No other uogrades are added.

Admiral Vostok
09-09-2004, 11:25 AM
It's odd that shields are the only thing that is added. I wonder why they made things this way? Is it on purpose or is it an oversight?

lukeiamyourdad
09-09-2004, 11:28 AM
I think it's an oversight. I'll have to check it out.

Perhaps it's the upgrade itself. It gives shield to all non-transport aircraft under your command.

DK_Viceroy
09-09-2004, 11:28 AM
I've just had an idea from readin some of my NJO books perhaps we could have some civs that only get sheilds for their fighters if they build sheild projectors or sheild ships that have to be near the fighters for them to get sheilds an idea no?

lukeiamyourdad
09-09-2004, 11:44 AM
A shield ship? Not a bad idea. Though I have no idea where it would fit in SWGB2.

I think we really would need individual shield researches for each aircraft.

DK_Viceroy
09-09-2004, 11:47 AM
Maybe it could be for the Empire or The Republic since those two don't seem to have much emphasis on air Superiority well the repuiblic has good aircraft but not many are sehilded so that would help out.

lukeiamyourdad
09-09-2004, 11:54 AM
We haven't really seen anything like that for both factions. It's better if it's not included at all.

DK_Viceroy
09-09-2004, 12:09 PM
Well we could work on the idea and try to fit it in maybe it would add a tactictal element and i only said those two as examples.

lukeiamyourdad
09-09-2004, 12:11 PM
I do not deny there will be new tactical elements. I'm denying its realism.

DK_Viceroy
09-09-2004, 12:13 PM
Gamplay>Realism

It's in one of the NJO books one of the first 3 i think and it's a creation of Lando's

Admiral Vostok
09-09-2004, 12:19 PM
Gameplay > Realism is an interesting mantra for someone who is so keen on me shoving the Geonosians into the Separatists in my design.

If it was created in the NJO books I don't see how you could justify it's use for civs that existed during the Clone Wars and Civil War.

It is an interesting idea but would change the flavour of the civ way too much so they wouldn't resemble either the movies or the EU.

DarthMuffin
09-09-2004, 12:40 PM
Including stuff from NJO would be a bad idea. Most people don't read such crappy novels (ok, my opinion anyway), and want to have a game based on the SW universe showed in the movies. And like Vostok said, there's no reason whatsoever to include stuff that didn't exist during the time period of the game.

For most people, gameplay does > realism, but if we're too far from what it's supposed to be, then it's no fun. It's a SW that we all want.

DK_Viceroy
09-09-2004, 12:59 PM
Exactly someone else has put it in words end of Argument,Geonosians in the design, In EVERYBODY'S design the public want it do it NOW. No more Lollygagging Argument Closed Geonosians In.

I'm Not Budging Whatsoever from that position so all attempts to change that will be as effective as trying to kill Jabba The Hutt With A Rubber Chicken. You Should all remeber how stubbron I am and i'm even more so now than before Try what you like give me the A-Z of reasons if you like None of them are valid useful or even have a Point My Mind is made up and the Public want Geonosians In with the Seperatists.

lukeiamyourdad
09-09-2004, 01:06 PM
the Public want Geonosians In with the Seperatists.

And where did you get this stat? How do you know the public wants the Geonosians in?

Oh by the way, the public is not you alone.

...and nice display of maturity.

Admiral Vostok
09-09-2004, 04:24 PM
I'm with LukesDad on this in that I'm confused as to who other than you, Viceroy, would rather have Geonosians in with the Separatists than as an individual minor faction.

DarthMuffin
09-12-2004, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by lukeiamyourdad
And where did you get this stat? How do you know the public wants the Geonosians in?

Oh by the way, the public is not you alone.

...and nice display of maturity.

The "public" here is like... 5 people?

So we could actually say that 20% of the public wants the Geo in :)

lukeiamyourdad
09-12-2004, 01:16 PM
saberhagen, vostok, kryllith, windu, phreak, DMUK, froz, you, me and viceroy.

More like 10% ;)

General Nitro
09-12-2004, 02:35 PM
*walks off to own little corner*

lukeiamyourdad
09-12-2004, 06:13 PM
Sorry mate :D

I was sure I forgot someone...I'm really really sorry:(

Can you find it in your heart, some compassion to forgive me?

Kryllith
09-12-2004, 06:15 PM
Is that corner part of the the Lucasforums community or is it own little community? Which should it be? Thoughts people? :)

Oh, and in regards to the other thread, I don't have a problem with the Geonisians being a part of the Separatist civ, but if we're including minor civs as part of GB2, then I'd say make them (and other members of the Separtists) a minor civ...

Kryllith