PDA

View Full Version : wireless network adaptors

Thomgor
08-17-2004, 12:22 AM
I want to purchase a PSP when it comes out, early 2005, and I was wondering... how does wireless internet work?

Do I have to purchase a wireless internet provider? Do I just run it off my DSL line? If that was true, how could I game with people from all across the country? Or saying that you could play online at the Dentist, when I couldn't play online -- because the XXX amount of space that I could bring my PSP is out of range.

HHHEEEELLLLPPPP!:eek:

Virtuosis
08-17-2004, 12:26 AM
The wireless internet I use basically goes like this. I have a land line from my cable provider that goes into the internet box, it goes through a router, to hook up my ps2, and my two computers that are next to eachother. Than i have a cord running to the hub of my wireless internet, that broadcasts a signal that goes only so far, which in this case goes across the street to my neighbors. You need a wireless internet card for the computer to accept the signal. I'm not too sure how the PSP works with this but thats how it works for my 5 computers and PS2.

Jed
08-17-2004, 12:38 AM
Now last I heard, the PSP is going to have Wi-Fi built in, which means it will need a wireless network in order to get your fragging on in the online world.

Wireless networks are normally set up like this:

-- Your DSL/Cable modem would plug into a Wireless Router.
-- Each device that connects to the router would need an Access Point or a wireless card (In this case, the Sony PSP has one built in).

In essence, a wireless network has an optimum range of around a 150 ft. radius.

There are places on the 'net that do a better job of explaining, I'd suggest googling it...

Astrotoy7
08-30-2004, 03:41 AM
Originally posted by Jed
...In essence, a wireless network has an optimum range of around a 150 ft. radius.

There are places on the 'net that do a better job of explaining, I'd suggest googling it...

thats true for VPNs but I think what the chappy is getting at is the WiFi/bluetooth stuff, where as long as you are in a 'hotspot' you may be able access it when you are away from home and your own router :D eg.common hotspots, apart from business centres are universities :D

Yeah, google, better yet, track down a PSP discussion forum, there'll always be some dude that'll knock your sox off with specs and info about the PSPs capabilities.....

mtfbwya

JediJohn
09-02-2004, 06:49 AM
do wireless network adaptor exist for PS2 and if they do can someone tell if they are good

Alegis
09-02-2004, 06:53 AM
never compare wireless internet with wired at the momenty, has a lot of leaks etc, and not reliable at all. I'm waiting a few years before it gets stable

JediJohn
09-02-2004, 06:55 AM
thanks, i need one though for online cos my parents wont let me run a cable through

MUSA91CM
09-02-2004, 04:34 PM
I read somewhere that a wireless adapter is coming out for PS2, but not until around Christmas in the U.S.

JediJohn
09-02-2004, 11:16 PM
thats ok cos my christmas money is gonna pay for it