PDA

View Full Version : What is a moderator?

Pages : [1] 2

Darth Groovy
09-05-2004, 09:01 PM
I'm trying this thread out as an experiment.

Some of you when you were very young, maybe kindergarden, might have had a police officer come and visit your school. He/she goes through their speech, then they open up for questions. The kids all ask if the police officer has shot anyone, can you get arrested for this or that....etc. I'm attempting for the first time, to do this here, in a stuck thread.

Alot of members seem to not really know what a moderator is, most of them know what we do, but little fail to realize how we go about doing it, or how we reach a decision.

It is a popular belief that we are just power hungry joy killers that live to get people in trouble. This is a popular myth.

We all started out as regular members, who came here out of our own free will. We just post on LF like the rest of you, only we have a few extra options in our toobar.

I am opening this thread up as a free Q & A between forum members and moderators. Feel free to ask us anything you want, as long as it pertains to procedure, LF polices, and moderators in general.

Keep in mind that this is a serious discussion, so if any of you feel inclined to make a joke out of this, i'll only delete the post.

Feel free to ask anything, and I will answer any questions you may have. I f I don't know the answer, I will look into it and quote the person, or persons who give me an answer.

ZBomber
09-05-2004, 09:22 PM
How similar is being a mod on a PHP board to a VB board? I mean, like the options, mod cp, etc?

Kain
09-05-2004, 09:39 PM
How does one become a moderator?

Have you ever shot anyone?(C'mon, you were asking for it with that police scenerio!)

Jed
09-05-2004, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by ZBomber
How similar is being a mod on a PHP board to a VB board? I mean, like the options, mod cp, etc?

I assume you mean phpBB boards.

Well, it's pretty similar. phpBB itself has all the basic functions that vBulletin has, so it's natural that moderating both would be similar. Editing, deleting, and etc. However, there really isn't a ModCP for Moderators, since there'd be no need for one. Supermods and Administrators have CPs.

Originally posted by Kain
How does one become a moderator?

Basically, becoming a moderator happens like this.

Usually, you're a prominent community member with a history of responsible posting. If a spot opens up or there's a time where the staff feels like there is a need for more moderators (influx of new users, time around a new game being released, etc), you're contacted by a member of the staff and asked if you'd like to join the team to help out.

Have you ever shot anyone?(C'mon, you were asking for it with that police scenerio!)

On the record, no. :emodanc:

--ZeeMan--
09-05-2004, 09:58 PM
vb is like a mix of phpbb and ipb from i've noticed so far too ;)

my only questions was already answered =\

Kain
09-05-2004, 09:59 PM
I got another one: How do bans work?

I was told along time ago by a moderator who shall remain nameless that he couldn't ban me by his lonesome and that it had to be a decision made by the majority of mods, or do you just do it out of the kindness of your hearts?

El Sitherino
09-05-2004, 10:00 PM
what if you accidentally hit a wrong button, say delete, but it was an accident could you be demodded? I ask because I sometimes hit wrong buttons because... well I'm a dumbass. point is are mods able to make mistakes? or are they held to a higher standard?

Lynk Former
09-05-2004, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by InsaneSith
what if you accidentally hit a wrong button, say delete, but it was an accident could you be demodded? I ask because I sometimes hit wrong buttons because... well I'm a dumbass. point is are mods able to make mistakes? or are they held to a higher standard?

Well if you have done something accidentally like that the best thing to do is if the situation calls for it is to apologise for it. It was just an accident. And yes mods do make mistakes, we're human not machines.

We generally do try to go by higher standards in terms of how we conduct ourselves. Though these higher standards can sometimes be seen as bullying by those few members who don't understand and then start saying we have low standards because they don't understand.

But just like everyone else we can fool around too :xp:

Darth Groovy
09-05-2004, 10:17 PM
I got another one: How do bans work?

I was told along time ago by a moderator who shall remain nameless that he couldn't ban me by his lonesome and that it had to be a decision made by the majority of mods, or do you just do it out of the kindness of your hearts?

Only Super Moderators and above can ban people.

There was a brief time where all mods could ban, but once the forums got really busy, that feature was removed.

Basically, I have a password and login at VBulletin.

Once I log in, there is a portal where I can look up usernames, groups, IPs...etc.

Once I look up the name, I can either view the user, or ban.

Once I click ban, that user is banned and remains banned.

Only an admin can remove bans.

RpTheHotrod
09-05-2004, 11:26 PM
Yes. The moderators must go through super moderators and admins to get the "power" stuff done.

Moderaters merely help maintain the enviroment and keep it safe and clean for everyone.

TK-8252
09-05-2004, 11:59 PM
I did come across the actual "Mod CP" for LucasForums, but I really couldn't do anything (everything is off-limits). Although, I did happen to see that I could go through announcements. Are regular Moderators able to add/edit/remove announcements via Mod CP? I didn't want to try, just incase I actually could and got in trouble for messing with it. :xp:

BTW, any regular member here can SEE the moderation options, which are at the bottom of each forum and thread in the "Admin Options" toolbar. But of course, only the Moderators can USE them. :p We can also click that "IP: Logged" button in each post and see what a poster's IP address and host name is. Often from the host name you can find out what state someone is in and what internet service they use. For example: I can tell by looking at Groovy's host name that he is on DSL. :D

Anyway... I'll tell you all that getting someone banned is a lot of hassle. Believe me when I say that banning is no fun for the staff (only for the members). And, everytime that someone is given a warning, you have to file a "report" about it for the record. For example, let's say I warned myself for flaming - a report thread would look something like this:

WARNED: TK-8252

Username: TK-8252
Issued by: TK-8252
Reason for warning: Flaming here. ("here" would be a link to the flame)
Recommendation(s) on next offense: Second warning.

Being a part of the LucasForums staff is a great honor and the staff are all fun-loving guys and gals who love LucasArts stuff (which is why they came here in the first place :xp: ). I know that a lot of people have the wrong ideas about the Mods. I admit that I sure did before I went behind the scenes and saw how the Mods really are, under their tough diplomatic exterior.

Darth Groovy
09-06-2004, 12:25 AM
Thanks TK,

That brings me to my next point. All moderators in every set of forums have a "private mod forum". This is a restricted access forum, where only active moderators can post. In these threads we discuss topics that need to be closed, difficult members which some of us will refer too as a "problem child". We also have a subforum from there, where we post a thread for every member that is warned, and yet another seperate thread for who is banned. In these threads, we post links, reasons, and methods of communication. This serves as our "record" of offenses. And yes, after a while we let these warnings go away. The length of time for a warning to lapse is still under discussion among the big shots within LF. When it comes to banning people, even though a Super Moderator can do the banning, the admins will usually decide on wether it is a permanent ban, and if it is not a permanent ban, they will decide how long one stays banned. We post these threads so that we don't forget about anybody. Usually, unless it is a clear cut case of genuine troll-ism, we will post a thread and discuss the pros and cons of peoples' actions prior to banning anyone. Alot of times we just are not sure, and we bring it up in a topic discussion, before we click any buttons. That way there are no "accidental" or wrongful bans. :)

Keep in mind that even though all forums within LF have a private mod section, not ALL forums within LF have the same rules. Most of the Star Wars oriented forums have the same rules, but places like Monkey Island, Grim Fandango, Mixmojo and others have different rules and regulations, some stricter, some less. It all depends on the nature and maturity of the community.

Since Star Wars is pretty much a "family freindly" sort of topic, we tend to keep things rather clean in those areas.

Now keep in mind the registration age is 13 years and up, although I must confess that it is quite difficult to monitor and enforce that rule. It is mostly there to protect LF from lawsuits.

RpTheHotrod
09-06-2004, 12:38 AM
Aye. Mods to not work alone. They all post every detail in the mod forums.

Tyrion
09-06-2004, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by Darth Groovy

Now keep in mind the registration age is 13 years and up, although I must confess that it is quite difficult to monitor and enforce that rule. It is mostly there to protect LF from lawsuits.

I dunno, I've stated my age when I was 12, and I wasn't banned...:p

(Although I'm 13 now , almost 14, so tough nookies if any of you wanted to ban me. :D)

Anyway, here's a question:

Can the moderators find out passwords?

Lynk Former
09-06-2004, 12:50 AM
And no, just cause we have private mod forums doesn't mean we go around posting about people we don't like, etc. In the private forums it's purely business... and the occasional game of strip poker :p

El Sitherino
09-06-2004, 01:02 AM
then they re-enact Dirty Dancing: Havannah Nights and after lots of hot passion we have a demi-mod.

or so the legend goes.

Darth Groovy
09-06-2004, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by Tyrion
I dunno, I've stated my age when I was 12, and I wasn't banned...:p

(Although I'm 13 now , almost 14, so tough nookies if any of you wanted to ban me. :D)

Anyway, here's a question:

Nah, even though you probably lied about your registration, we did not "ban you". But if it is any comfort, ALOT of people joined after you did that were your age, and even younger. Far as I can see, you turned out ok, so we didn't HAVE to ban you.

And for the record, no....your name never came up on a banning thread. ;)

Not that I am aware of. I THINK an admin may be able to look up your password, becasue they can edit your profile. Admin can also change your username. For a short time, I was known as darthgroovyii, until I had Metallus hook me up with my true name. (at the time, I was not sure if LF would take usernames with spaces, and caps, because not all forums do)

I may have to get back to you on that one.

IG-64
09-06-2004, 03:30 AM
There is one thing iv'e been wondering, every once in awile there will be an announcement made by some misc. admin who has a few hundred posts and i've never seen before. Who are these guys and how did they get admin? Are they all friends in some admin/mod community over LF?

Sivy
09-06-2004, 04:26 AM
you mean people like aristotle and chris3p0 etc.

they just feed the hamsters.

:D

oh and they’re the ones responsible for this place.

Lynk Former
09-06-2004, 05:00 AM
Without them there'd be no LF :p

And yes they are around, they just don't post like we do. They're usually plotting to take over the world in some hidden part of LF that none of us are aware of.

Pad
09-06-2004, 05:34 AM
Not that I am aware of. I THINK an admin may be able to look up your password, becasue they can edit your profile.

I may have to get back to you on that one.
An admin can look up people´s profile and can change whatever they want, even the password, but they can´t look up a password. For obvious reasons off course.

Darth Rythe
09-06-2004, 05:48 AM
So an Admin can change someones password but not see the original, thats dumb:rolleyes:

Pad
09-06-2004, 06:04 AM
Originally posted by Darth Rythe
So an Admin can change someones password but not see the original, thats dumb:rolleyes:
No it isn´t. Nobody can now accidently see your password and start using your account.
They could use your account but then they have to change the password and performing changes are all saved in the dbase. ;)

Sivy
09-06-2004, 06:06 AM
the whole point of passwords are that they are private.
admins only need to change a password if the user has forgotten their old one.

ZBomber
09-06-2004, 07:16 AM
Can admins read PMs? I kjnow there is a hack that lets you monitor PM's and stuff, so that could help if something illegal is going on. ;) But it's also invading someone's privacy. :p

RoxStar
09-06-2004, 07:37 AM
Can I play with your handcuffs? :xp:

@ Zed.

They can probably look for them in the MySql database. At least thats what I do at my site...

>_>

<_<

Alegis
09-06-2004, 07:57 AM
AFAIK there is no "pm" section in the admin panel wher eyou can just easily read all recent pm's. However i do know those of rank supermod can "login" to your account and read your pm's. Dont worry i'm sure this is only done in case of very important issues (members harassing other members over pm's)

I think VB works with encryption just like phpBB. This means the passwords are encrypted and the admin cant read em(in the sql database they'll see something like e5ez3vB2kjI... instead of, "ilovejustintimberlake"), but change em.

ZBomber
09-06-2004, 07:59 AM
Yes, but in order to go in someone's account, you need to change the password. Thats kinda unfair, because what if you can't contact the person who's password you changed, and they can't login again.

TK-8252
09-06-2004, 08:39 AM
I've always wondered why the majority of the Administrators lurk in the shadows of LF. The only ones I've really seen post are Kurgan and Rhett.

ZBomber
09-06-2004, 08:41 AM
And Thrik. ;)

Same goes for a lot of the super mods, Jed, Groovy and Obi post....wheres everyone else?

Darth Groovy
09-06-2004, 09:50 AM
And Thrik. ;)

Same goes for a lot of the super mods, Jed, Groovy and Obi post....wheres everyone else?

Not all admins are forum supervisors. There are alot of admins from all reaches of LF, that exist before the merger....etc.

Alot of these admin that don't post alot, are responsible for the pretty pictures you see atop the forums here, the interface, the layout....the works.

Most of the time alot of these designer oriented admin, will post only in the main LF Private Mod forum in order to get feedback from others about layout questions...etc.

And yes, Supermods and up see EVERYTHING before it is released. ;)

Mike Windu
09-06-2004, 10:14 AM
It's hard to not allow personal feelings get in the way isn't it..

If I ever let my feelings get in the way on jk3files comments I'd be demodded so fast...

:p

Mex
09-06-2004, 10:24 AM
I have a question, can a Super Moderator choose what type of ban what he wants to do when he is going to ban someone? [A temp ban or a perm ban, stuff like that.]

Rogue Nine
09-06-2004, 10:42 AM
A Super Mod can only initiate one type of ban, and that's the username ban. The offender is unable to use his/her name anymore on the forums. A permanent, or IP ban is carried out by an Administrator for particularly naughty forummites who we don't want back at all.

There are circumstances for bans. Sometimes they're permanent, sometimes they're temporary. Kind of like a 'time out'. It all depends on how bad the offense is.

And a lot of the admins lurk in the shadows because they like the anonymity and/or, they don't care for the mainstream SW stuff and can usually be found in the other LF ventures, like Monkey Island and Mixnmojo. But rest assured, the admins are there for the greater good and they're a bunch of really nice guys and gals. It's pretty much the same story for the other S-mods.

matt--
09-06-2004, 10:53 AM
Can admins read PMs? I kjnow there is a hack that lets you monitor PM's and stuff, so that could help if something illegal is going on. ;) But it's also invading someone's privacy. :p
There used to be a hack installed that allowed administrators to view PMs, but during the last upgrade, I 'forgot' to reinstall it.

Passwords are entered into and checked against the database via a one way hash (md5). This means that your plain text passwords are never stored.

Lynk Former
09-06-2004, 12:36 PM
Um, I don't wanna start something here but aren't privacy issues preventing you guys from reading Private Messages without informing the members that you are able to?

--ZeeMan--
09-06-2004, 12:51 PM
this maaaaayy be a stretch but could you post a staff list :)

like maybe admins and supermods (and mods if you're that bored)

Mex
09-06-2004, 12:54 PM
Zeeman, there already is one. Look Here. (http://www.lucasforums.com/showgroups.php?) :)

--ZeeMan--
09-06-2004, 01:26 PM
thanx pal :D

Mike Windu
09-06-2004, 05:49 PM
Niice.

Where are the normal mods though, or are they not special enough :xp:

Here's to you Tee Kay. :rofl:

ZBomber
09-06-2004, 06:06 PM
Originally posted by Mike Windu
Niice.

Well, normal mods are eaiser to find since their name is next to the forum they mod. ;)

Lynk Former
09-06-2004, 06:38 PM
If all the normal mods were listed it'd be a pretty damn big list @.@

Mike Windu
09-06-2004, 06:43 PM
Yeah, but then there'd be equal rights!

I DEMAND MODS BE LISTED!

:xp:

I keed, I keed...

--ZeeMan--
09-06-2004, 07:06 PM
this isn't america....mods dont' have the same rights as supermods and admins....they even have to drink at the 'mod' drinking fountain...

srry if i just offended anyone

Tyrion
09-06-2004, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by --ZeeMan--
this isn't america....mods dont' have the same rights as supermods and admins....they even have to drink at the 'mod' drinking fountain...]

They get a drinking fountain? All we get is a barrel of water which is also used as the bathroom for Zed...:(

ZBomber
09-06-2004, 07:57 PM
They get a drinking fountain? All we get is a barrel of water which is also used as the bathroom for Zed...:(

You know you love drinking Zed juice. :)

El Sitherino
09-06-2004, 08:44 PM
You know you love drinking Zed juice. :) bah, I finally got the nightmares to go away and now they come back. :( ;_;

Darth Groovy
09-06-2004, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by Mike Windu
Niice.

Regular Moderators are sort of like beat cops. They are assigned to a particular community, or forum. When you visit the forum, at the top you will see where it says Moderated by: (insert list of moderators). Aside from that, there is no other list. Moderators assigned to a particular forum, only has his/her options in THAT particular forum. For example, Pad cannot go and moderate posts at Galactic Battlegrounds forums. Only Supermods and Admin have that option, however, we have what we call "turf". There was a long discussion about interforum moderation, and we came to a decision that it was unethical for us to intermoderate forums, unless a regular mod asks for our help. All moderators however have access to private mod forums in all communities within LF.

Usually when a new forum opens, Supermods and admin will open discussions on who would be well fit to moderate a particular community. We choose them based on merrit, most of the time we vote on it. If we get enough aproval, that person will get made a moderator. I don't think there has ever been a time where anyone refused a mod position, but it is still a voluntary thing, and a great honor once it happens. Sometimes those lists will change. In two years I have been here, I have seen the roster of mods at JK.net change drastically several times.

Two things can be a factor:

1. Supermods don't remain assigned to a particular forum, once the name is removed, they get replaced with a new regular moderator.

2. Sometimes moderators will dissapear for months and months and MONTHS. In that case, somebody like matt-windu will post a thread in the private forum, and ask for suggestions for new mods. The discussion opens, and we all come to an agreement.

As far as Supermod promotion goes... it all depends on the need for a position, and is also based on the merrit of the mod in question.

Yes, I have helped get people both mod and supermod positions. Jed, leXX Rogue Nine, obi-wan 13, acdcfanbill, as well as other supermods and myself pretty much hand picked all of the mods and supermods you see in both SW forums, and SWBF.net.

Lynk Former
09-06-2004, 10:27 PM
Regular Moderators are sort of like beat cops.

Yeah the mods are the regular beat cops, the supermods are your special investigations units, etc and your admins are the grumpy chiefs behind the desk yelling at all of us that we suck at our jobs :D

Yes, I have helped get people both mod and supermod positions. Jed, Rogue Nine, and myself pretty much hand picked all of the mods and supermods you see in both SW forums, and SWBF.net.

And yes, I do love you Groov ^^ (though Niner is sexier :p)

Rogue Nine
09-07-2004, 12:32 AM
We're the ****in' S.W.A.T. :D

*starts up the S.W.A.T. theme song*

:emodanc:

Joetheeskimo
09-07-2004, 03:30 AM
I always get Mike mixed up with Matt...those two Windus are confusing..:p

*looks at post above mine* Oh great Matt Windu, I pay you homage...wait, are you Mike? :eyeraise:

Anyways, I recently saw Alegis became a mod...I still remember when I read his newbie thread! Geez! Compared to some people, I'm not as active as I think! :eek:

Darth Rythe
09-07-2004, 03:36 AM
Originally posted by joetheeskimo5

*looks at post above mine* Oh great Matt Windu, I pay you homage...wait, are you Mike? :eyeraise:

Not really, one is eating Toxic stuff, so he's pritty messed in the head:p

--ZeeMan--
09-07-2004, 06:03 AM
As far as Supermod promotion goes... it all depends on the need for a position, and is also based on the merrit of the mod in question

this thread is the most active i've seen mods post in a long while. all part of your elaborate plan to bring them all out of retirement eh groovester?

Sabretooth
09-07-2004, 06:50 AM
Here's one:

Can you be removed from a mod position once you become one, and can a mod be banned by other mods?

Alegis
09-07-2004, 07:21 AM
if i start posting pr0n, warez links, and insult everyone in every topic i guess my reign of terror in swbf.net wouldn't last long

Agen
09-07-2004, 08:29 AM
Can you be removed from a mod position once you become one
Yup.

Usually when a new forum opens, Supermods and admin will open discussions on who would be well fit to moderate a particular community. We choose them based on merrit, most of the time we vote on it. If we get enough aproval, that person will get made a moderator.
What if you don't find someone who is 'well fit' to moderate a new community and everyone else who is 'well fit' isn't interested in moderating that community...

Is this how people like Alegis become mods???
J/k mate. Seriously though, what happens? I asusume it's pretty unlikely but... has to happen sometimes.. :P

Darth Groovy
09-07-2004, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by joetheeskimo5

*Decides not to bring up Chase Windu (Boba Rhett's twin brother) at this time.* :emodanc:

Pad
09-07-2004, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Agen_Terminator
Yup.

What if you don't find someone who is 'well fit' to moderate a new community and everyone else who is 'well fit' isn't interested in moderating that community...

Is this how people like Alegis become mods???
J/k mate. Seriously though, what happens? I asusume it's pretty unlikely but... has to happen sometimes.. :P
Technically Alegis isn´t a mod. He´s just the one to bring us the coffee :p

To assign mods we always search for the "best fit people" and when those people aren´t on the scene, they are dragged in.
Someone who seems a well fit but isn´t active in the area is asked if he/she has intrest to mod the area. If he/she agrees a new mod is assigned, if he/she declines the search continues or Smods clear the area for the time being.

Acrylic
09-07-2004, 10:44 AM
*Decides not to bring up Chase Windu (Boba Rhett's twin brother) at this time.* :emodanc:

I think the reason is for the "M's" in the names.

But I could be wrong.

And Im wondering, does anybody even CARE what happens in the MI forums? Its total anarchy over there. Like, there is no modding going on.:confused:

Mike Windu
09-07-2004, 12:57 PM
it's not that hard to tell Matt, Chase, or myself apart from each other.

Just think of it as MCM

Matt
Chase
Mike

Admin
Rhett's brother
>.> the coolest Windu

RoxStar
09-07-2004, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by Lynk Former
Yeah the mods are the regular beat cops, the supermods are your special investigations units, etc and your admins are the grumpy chiefs behind the desk yelling at all of us that we suck at our jobs :D

So my taxes are paying for Rhett's vacation? :xp:

CapNColostomy
09-07-2004, 03:20 PM

*POINTS AT GROOVYS AV AND SIG*

It's Grampa Jourgensen!!!!

ZBomber
09-07-2004, 04:12 PM
Anyone see Darky at all? Maybe he's posting in the mod forums, but I miss him. :(

Anthony
09-07-2004, 04:41 PM
You know you love drinking Zed juice. :)

Oh my freaking god..... *BLAAAARF*

ZBomber
09-07-2004, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by Anthony
Oh my freaking god..... *BLAAAARF*

That's a minor side-effect for those with weak stomachs. :)

Question: Episode III video game board anytime soon? ;)

Darth Groovy
09-08-2004, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by CapNColostomy
*POINTS AT GROOVYS AV AND SIG*

It's Grampa Jourgensen!!!!

Indeed, and I made a better one too! :eek:

Sivy
09-08-2004, 07:30 AM
Anyone see Darky at all? Maybe he's posting in the mod forums, but I miss him. :(

it seems darky has developed a case of lurkitis. a common disease that affects a person's abiltiy to post frequently. no matter how often they visit, they still only manage to post one a month, if that.
if you see a lurker then shower him/her with love and make them feel special, only that can bring the lurker from their shell.

he posted at EB today BTW

Kain
09-08-2004, 09:18 AM
Didn't he get married and now has a life?(Darky that is)

obi
09-08-2004, 10:48 AM
Darky get married? I didn't hear of it if he did, and he never holds things from me unless.........

Wait, he's from the UK right? DARN! I should have known better than to trust that British Sunuvagun!

-_-

Acrylic
09-08-2004, 12:47 PM
No one answered my question.

And Im wondering, does anybody even CARE what happens in the MI forums? Its total anarchy over there. Like, there is no modding going on.:confused:

Please answer it if you can.

Jed
09-08-2004, 12:52 PM
Darky's just...finding himself...I dunno :p

And Im wondering, does anybody even CARE what happens in the MI forums? Its total anarchy over there. Like, there is no modding going on.

Don't ask here, we don't mod over there XD

obi
09-08-2004, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by Acrylic
And Im wondering, does anybody even CARE what happens in the MI forums? Its total anarchy over there. Like, there is no modding going on.

*Laughs uncontrollably*

Man, I'm not touching that place with a 10 ft. pole.

Jed and Groovy and other mods know why. ;)

Acrylic
09-08-2004, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by Jed
Don't ask here, we don't mod over there XD

Well, I was just wondering..cuz Im not gonna ask over there....

Yufster is gonna start talking about how much she wants to sex bill gates and talk about testicles.:eek:

obi
09-08-2004, 01:08 PM
I shall use a passage from the Bible to explain how I deal with that place.

"Let the heathen rage"

;)

Pie™
09-08-2004, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by obi-wan13
I shall use a passage from the Bible to explain how I deal with that place.

"Let the heathen rage"

;) Proud to be a heathen ;)

*rages around*

obi
09-08-2004, 01:19 PM
No no, you don't get. Compared to some of those people, You're the pope. ;)

El Sitherino
09-08-2004, 01:22 PM
No no, you don't get. Compared to some of those people, You're the pope. ;) :eek: that's a scary thought.

Hermie
09-08-2004, 02:11 PM
No no, you don't get. Compared to some of those people, You're the pope. ;)
Clearly you do not know Pie close enough...

Astrotoy7
09-08-2004, 02:30 PM
How do you initiate a complaint against a mod/super mod... ?

Is it waste of time because it wont be read and judged fairly by others who are independent to a forum or argument.. ?

mtfbwya

Jed
09-08-2004, 02:34 PM
Go to their superiors.

For a complaint against a moderator, go to a supermod that's in charge/prominent in the area. If it's a supermod that yer complaining about (and screw you, if you hate me just say so :p [just kidding! XD]), contact an administrator for the area.

For JK.net, I'd say your best bets are Darth Groovy, obi-wan13, and myself for supermods, and Kurgan and matt-windu for administrators.

TK-8252
09-08-2004, 02:44 PM
I'd like to make a complaint about Jed.

He refuses to give me teh secks he promised me in the Mod-only forum. :xp:

Keeding...

Jed
09-08-2004, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by TK-8252
I'd like to make a complaint about Jed.

He refuses to give me teh secks he promised me in the Mod-only forum. :xp:

Keeding...

You're right.

Only I promised you on MSN :o

ZBomber
09-08-2004, 03:34 PM
Its because he gave me teh secks, and after that, he's been afraidf to try it again.

Have a glass o' Zed Juice on me. ;)

Mike Windu
09-08-2004, 04:10 PM
I'd like to complain about TK cause he's... TK.

:D Nothing but love. and a bit of mansechz... here: some leftover Zed juice!

--ZeeMan--
09-08-2004, 04:42 PM
this thread seems to have wandered off in the last few posts....

i know from talking to some of the mod team that you guys feel there aren't enough of you working on this site. what do you guys feel about that as a whole?

TK-8252
09-08-2004, 04:48 PM
i know from talking to some of the mod team that you guys feel there aren't enough of you working on this site. what do you guys feel about that as a whole?

That we should make Zee a Super Mod and have him run all the forums. :xp:

ZBomber
09-08-2004, 05:33 PM

*Packs his bags* :p

Jed
09-08-2004, 07:12 PM

I have no idea who you've been talking to. I disagree with that completely. We don't need a crapload of staff - we just need good staff.

As of now, that's what I feel we have. I don't think we need anyone else on board at this point in time.

Lynk Former
09-08-2004, 07:44 PM
Actually the biggest issue is when you need a mod or super mod or admin around there may not be one available. While we do have plenty of good mods, etc they can't be online 24/7. Obviously we all have lives to go on with and also need sleep so sometimes things occur in forums when there happens to be no one on patrol for whatever reason.

Darth Rythe
09-08-2004, 08:40 PM
oooh, cool, Aust has its own Mod Super Mod:D

Where is Rhett in all this?

El Sitherino
09-08-2004, 08:46 PM
Where is Rhett in all this?
In the barn.
http://www.boomspeed.com/insanesith/domo_kun.gif

Darth Groovy
09-08-2004, 09:04 PM

Oh HELL no....

That being said, the next person that brings up mansechs or Zed juice will personally have they're eyeballs sucked out of they're nostrils personally by me!

Kain
09-08-2004, 09:14 PM
I should be a mod. I would pwn all other mods with my 1337 m0d skil1z, i'll make other m0ds look like n00bs myg0t!

...that having been said: Can regular mods rape post counts or is that an admin perk only?

Darth Groovy
09-08-2004, 09:41 PM
I should be a mod. I would pwn all other mods with my 1337 m0d skil1z, i'll make other m0ds look like n00bs myg0t!

...that having been said: Can regular mods rape post counts or is that an admin perk only?

That's an admin perk, and I am glad you brought that up.

As you know, posting a thread boasting about post counts is against the rules.

matt-windu first started removing posts for posting such threads. I have seen him remove as much as 800 posts depending on the mood he is in.

I've also seen members get post reductions if they are spamming particular threads or forums.

Bottom line, don't post a thread about your post count. It is OK to post in another thread and while sticking to the subject, mention.... BTW....1000 posts!!!! That doesn't bother us at all. It is also ok to document it in your sig.

As long as you don't post a new topic about your post count (and really, none of us really care about your post count anyways....we care about the quality of your posts) you'll be fine.

Also, I have not seen any admin reduce post counts for at least a year now.

Rogue Nine
09-08-2004, 10:03 PM
Well. If you want to get technical, once a post is deleted, that's subtracted from a poster's count. So if an mod deletes a thread with say, 20 of your posts, that's a negative 20 for you to your count.

Kain
09-08-2004, 10:09 PM
I've never seen a mod delete a really big thread - just some ******* who couldn't take the fact that his debate tactics (flaming and posting false facts and biased opinions) were getting called out and everyone was beating him into the ground about it. I lost about 100 posts...

...that ****er.

Darth Groovy
09-08-2004, 10:14 PM
I've never seen a mod delete a really big thread - just some ******* who couldn't take the fact that his debate tactics (flaming and posting false facts and biased opinions) were getting called out and everyone was beating him into the ground about it. I lost about 100 posts...

...that ****er.

If that happened during the rise and fall of the points system, we ALL lost ALOT of postcounts during that time frame.

Don't take it personal.

CapNColostomy
09-08-2004, 10:45 PM

...that ****er.

My bad. I'm trying to do better. Really. Won't happen again. DAMMIT! I KNOCKED OVER A BEER ONTO MY KEYBOARD!!! ARRRGGGG!!!!!

Darth Groovy
09-08-2004, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by CapNColostomy
My bad. I'm trying to do better. Really. Won't happen again. DAMMIT! I KNOCKED OVER A BEER ONTO MY KEYBOARD!!! ARRRGGGG!!!!!

You have that problem too? :p

CapNColostomy
09-08-2004, 11:07 PM
You have that problem too? :p

Only when I have beer. Which is pretty much any time I can have beer...which is pretty much anytime I can convince my wife to let me get it, or sneek it in the house while she's at work. Which is pretty much every day. Which pretty much means I **** up alot of keyboards. Gah.

Alegis
09-09-2004, 08:42 AM
spilling coke (yes yes, cola) over my last onescrewed it...it was broken anyways (the ctrl keys) so i didnt mind

--ZeeMan--
09-09-2004, 10:42 AM
Oh HELL no....

:( way to crush my spirits :p

iamtrip
09-09-2004, 11:28 AM
Is it true that you need to be good at rpging to become a moderator?

ZBomber
09-09-2004, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by iamtrip

Example 1: Jed. :p

(No, only of you mod the RPG forums ;))

Alegis
09-09-2004, 12:15 PM
I have a level 23 sorceror, but its nowhere near good as TK's lvl 56 and Z's lvl 30 princess

i think they cheat. oh and the answer is no

Mex
09-09-2004, 12:33 PM
I have a question. Why do some super mods only stick to one parts of the forums, they should patrol the whole of Lucasforums, right?

Pad
09-09-2004, 12:39 PM
There is a policy smods only mod the areas they visit the most. It´s for not interfering with each others bussiness.

Mex
09-09-2004, 12:43 PM
Ah, thats cool. Thanks for the awnser.

Rogue Nine
09-09-2004, 02:09 PM
Most of the S-mods you see are those with a speciality in SW affairs. There are others, and you probably haven't seen them if you don't hang out in the non-SW forums.

I make it a point to scope out pretty much all the SW-related forums on LF, but I usually only take action in those I feel comfortable posting in.

Redwing
09-09-2004, 02:18 PM
What Pad and Niner said. We've had "issues" with this in the past. ;)

I myself usually perform damage control in the LF RPG forums. That's my 'specialty'. (Not to mention that I'm generally the only s-mod (or mod, period) who reads them...hehe)

Lynk Former
09-09-2004, 03:52 PM
Yup, Reddie's the RPG Special Forces around here :p

Redwing
09-09-2004, 05:50 PM
While we're answering questions...

...that ****er.

Mods generally just do not delete threads, only edit or delete posts in it. I think at one point there was an official policy on it, and now it's pretty much just an unspoken thing.

Even if you see an especially offensive thread disappear from the forums altogether, that doesn't mean it's gone. It means it's been moved to the private mod forums...for evidence. ;)

Mike Windu
09-09-2004, 06:02 PM
Damnit, the mods are onto me.

*grabs a plastic lightsaber and runs*

Darth Groovy
09-09-2004, 09:14 PM

You talking about the battle hack? I never touched it. I don't even HAVE an rpg name. Hope that helps answer your question.

Truth is, moderators are picked based on who we as a collective unit feel would fill the postition best. About 99% is based on your posting habbits. :)

And remember the unwritten rule...don't ask, let us come to you. ;)

swphreak
09-09-2004, 09:35 PM
Lynk said
Um, I don't wanna start something here but aren't privacy issues preventing you guys from reading Private Messages without informing the members that you are able to?

I'm sure there is sometihng in the ToS that would allow admins/staff permission to read PMs. Besides, this is the internet... there is no privacy.

<.<

[Edit] after reading the so called ToS... it appears there isn't. Either way, they own and run the site, so they can do whatever they want on it.

Darth Groovy
09-09-2004, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by StarWarsPhreak
I'm sure there is sometihng in the ToS that would allow admins/staff permission to read PMs. Besides, this is the internet... there is no privacy.

<.<

[Edit] after reading the so called ToS... it appears there isn't. Either way, they own and run the site, so they can do whatever they want on it.

Great Phreak, that does wonders for our credibility and trust. Of course you ARE wrong....I would know....

*kicks Phreak out of the thread*

:rolleyes:

swphreak
09-10-2004, 05:30 AM
So you're saying that the Admins and staff of this site are not legally allowed to read PMs?

It may be morally wrong, but if some multi-million dollar company starts knocking at the door becuase some poeple have been participating in illegal activities in PMs, what will be done then? Read their PMs? All the admins have to do is add to the Privacy Policy that they have the right to read PMs for legal/security reasons and there is nothing users can do about it.

ET Warrior
09-10-2004, 10:38 AM

*pulls out +5 broadsword*

*proceeds to bludgeon...things....*

Hmmm, I must have gotten picked for mod based on something other than my RPG skills :D

Pad
09-10-2004, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by ET Warrior
Hmmm, I must have gotten picked for mod based on something other than my RPG skills :D
I´m actually wondering what those skills might be :xp:

Jed
09-10-2004, 12:51 PM
From the JK.net Code of Conduct
10. You remain solely responsible for the content of your messages, and you agree to indemnify and hold us harmless with respect to any claim based upon transmission of your message(s). We reserve the right to reveal your identity (or whatever information we know about you) in the event of a complaint or legal action arising from any message posted by you.

Any message. PMs included.

ZBomber
09-10-2004, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by Jed
Any message. PMs included.

I don't think that says they can just check them for no reason tho, right?

Redwing
09-10-2004, 01:33 PM
Someone could, if they were an admin, but that's not the point. Admins can do absolutely anything they want, or at least the ones as high as say Chris and Aristotle. If you own/run a site, who's to say you can't do something with it? But that doesn't mean they would.

You aren't going to get bored supermods or moderators digging through your private stuff, because we don't have a way to do it, even if we were so inclined. Which most of us, I imagine, are not. ;)

swphreak
09-10-2004, 02:59 PM
Yeah, that's in the JK.net CoC. Is it in the other section's? Why can;t the whole forum agree to a set of rules and stuff?

Lynk Former
09-10-2004, 06:37 PM
@ Jed: Ah... You know I haven't actually read the rules before XD

Jed
09-10-2004, 07:32 PM
Yeah, that's in the JK.net CoC. Is it in the other section's? Why can;t the whole forum agree to a set of rules and stuff?

Because LFN is a group of separate communities. Each is based off of a website, and different websites have different staff. Different staff will choose to run the corresponding forums differently; hence, why the rules here are different from the rules at the MI forums, for example.

Why can't the whole forum agree? You try getting people to conform into one set of rules when they've been used to something else. If something was made, no place would be left unaffected.

Lynk Former
09-10-2004, 07:43 PM
It isn't one big community, it's A LOT of different communities roled up and put under one domain.

Mex
09-16-2004, 11:18 AM
What kind of members do you ask to be moderators? [By that, I mean what type of posts they do, their personalities, etc.]

obi
09-16-2004, 03:08 PM
Usually ones that we have never had a problem with and they are usually very active in the boards. We also look for people who are willing to work and not care what people think about them. If you can't take people calling you abusive nazi hypocrits, then being a mod isn't for you. It's been said before, but I'll say it again, Post count doesn't matter.

It helps if you've been here for a while too.

There's also a "right place at the right time" thing. For instance, if there is a new forum open, we look and see who frequents there.

swphreak
09-16-2004, 03:55 PM
And performing certain "sexual" acts for certain staff member does not get you modship.

<.<

Tyrion
09-16-2004, 08:15 PM
And performing certain "sexual" acts for certain staff member does not get you modship.

<.<

Jed, come over here so I bitch slap you silly you *******.

Lynk Former
09-16-2004, 09:58 PM
You'd be surprised at how personally someone takes it when you just close one of their threads down...

swphreak
09-17-2004, 05:40 AM
Not anymore... ;)

Mex
09-18-2004, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by obi
Usually ones that we have never had a problem with

Bah crap, there goes my chance. :xp:

ET Warrior
09-19-2004, 07:58 PM
You can also become mod simply by being such a super sexy stallion that the other mods have no other CHOICE.

That is of course, NOT how I got my modship though :(

--ZeeMan--
09-20-2004, 04:50 AM
you're talking about obi in his superman costume identity aren't you?

Sivy
09-20-2004, 05:03 AM
nah, he was talking about me.

which reminds me... stop sending me flowers ET!

although you can keep sending the chocolates.

El Sitherino
09-20-2004, 05:15 AM
actually uhm... I sent the flowers. :\

swphreak
09-20-2004, 07:59 AM
you're talking about obi in his superman costume identity aren't you?

Actually, Wonder Woman (corhettugh) has a crush on obi, that's how he became a Super Mod.

obi
09-20-2004, 05:21 PM
It's a bird! It's a plane! No, it's SUPERMOD!

*poses*

*feels lonely at night :( *

ZBomber
09-20-2004, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by obi
It's a bird! It's a plane! No, it's SUPERMOD!

*poses*

*feels lonely at night :( *

As you should. Back in your box! ;)

--ZeeMan--
09-20-2004, 07:14 PM
LMFAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

wow....does he at least have a decent pair of sheets? or does he use his cape?

Kain
09-20-2004, 07:46 PM
LMFAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

wow....does he at least have a decent pair of sheets? or does he use his cape?

The great thing is his cape is his decent pair of sheets. 2 birds with one stone, bub.

--ZeeMan--
09-20-2004, 09:20 PM
hmm.......... *shudders at thought*

Hermie
09-22-2004, 05:45 AM
OK, I have a question: More mods for SWBF!:mad:

wait, thats not a question...

ZBomber
09-22-2004, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Herminator
OK, I have a question: More mods for SWBF!:mad:

wait, thats not a question...

:dozey: There's already 3, how many do you think there should be? :p

Hermie
09-22-2004, 12:55 PM
:dozey: There's already 3, how many do you think there should be? :p
Enough to avoid chaos <.<...

ZBomber
09-22-2004, 12:56 PM

Well, they've been doing a very good job considering the ammount of people over there.

Pad
09-22-2004, 01:07 PM
We are doing all we can, believe me. We almost spend all our time at lf moving, merging,... threads. ;)

Alegis
09-22-2004, 01:28 PM
*comes back from swbf.net forums, sits down and asks for a ginger ale in a clean glass* "Man, what a day..."

considering the ammount of people over there.
they breed like rabbits! :p the more the merrier

iamtrip
09-22-2004, 02:11 PM
Do you have to be into horses to become a mod?

Pie™
09-22-2004, 02:13 PM
Do you have to be into horses to become a mod? As long as you don't shoot them <.<

I keed :p

(actually I hate horses, but that's irrelevant :p)

iamtrip
09-23-2004, 03:00 PM
I heard you can get about 50 pritt sticks per horse.

Sivy
09-24-2004, 06:37 AM
Do you have to be into horses to become a mod?

no...
but then if someone posted that their horse had just died, and then you were to post that you thought that was "good news" your chances of becoming a mod may be somewhat reduced.

iamtrip
09-24-2004, 09:51 AM
No!
Never!
I love horses!
They're my friends.

Horse (http://www.deagostini.co.uk/ilovehorses/index.php)

But waste not want not!
Someone elses dead horse is another's pritt stick!

Hermie
09-25-2004, 02:47 AM
Well, they've been doing a very good job considering the ammount of people over there.
Yes they do, but look at it this way: Everytime I go there, there is about a page of threads with new posts. At LEAST half of these are new topics, and about three quarters of these threads exist already. And there is spam in the existing threads too.

Mex
09-25-2004, 12:16 PM
Yes they do, but look at it this way: Everytime I go there, there is about a page of threads with new posts. At LEAST half of these are new topics, and about three quarters of these threads exist already. And there is spam in the existing threads too.

They are not machines you know, they need sleep and can't be on the computer 24/7.

Hermie
09-25-2004, 12:23 PM
Paying attention as always Mikey?:p Its exactly what im saying: We need more mods, even though those who already are do a great job.

ZBomber
09-25-2004, 01:25 PM
Paying attention as alwyas Mikey?:p Its exactly what im saying: We need more mods, even though those who already are do a great job.

Not really, it's not like they are on once a day. So what if a thrwad is in the wrong place for an hour or so, it'll just get merged soon. ;)

MennoniteHobbit
09-26-2004, 02:50 PM
vb is like a mix of phpbb and ipb from i've noticed so far too ;)

Not really, as phpBB is GPL released and its features do not rely on IPB or vB. Lots of people want phpBB to be a vB look-alike, but I refuse to let it do that. IPB seems like phpBB except for the fact that its interface looks n00bish while vB goes for the more "professional corporate" approach since it's paid-for.

Yes, I hang around phpBB and other phpBB-related sites too much.

I don't think that says they can just check them for no reason tho, right?

It's as simple as looking up LF's database, except for the fact that LF's database is HUGE.

time to disappear again

ZBomber
09-26-2004, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by MennoniteHobbit

It's as simple as looking up LF's database, except for the fact that LF's database is HUGE.

time to disappear again

That wasn't my question. ;) I was askin if they look at PM's for no reason other to see what we've been doin. :D But I think it's been answered already......

Darth Groovy
09-26-2004, 10:09 PM
That wasn't my question. ;) I was askin if they look at PM's for no reason other to see what we've been doin. :D But I think it's been answered already......

Right now we are just looking at YOUR PM's for no reason.

Rogue Nine
09-27-2004, 12:13 AM
I thought that one about the cow and the giant banana was especially poetic and moving, Grooves. Don't you?

:joy:

ZBomber
09-27-2004, 01:50 AM
Funny. :xp:

Oh no, they saw the Letters written to Jed Series..... >_>

iamtrip
09-27-2004, 06:54 AM
Originally posted by Kurgan
Hi,
I've noticed you around.
I like the way you type and the looks you give me.
Do you feel the same?

Mex
09-28-2004, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by Rogue Nine
I thought that one about the cow and the giant banana was especially poetic and moving, Grooves. Don't you?

TEEN TITANS! Heh, sorry. Just noticed your av. I'll be going now. :xp:

Darth Groovy
09-29-2004, 01:04 PM
Originally posted by Rogue Nine

We need to archive those! :emodanc:

Redwing
10-01-2004, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by Kurgan
Hi,
I've noticed you around.
I like the way you type and the looks you give me.
Do you feel the same?

Well? Aren't you going to answer him? Stop being such a tease.

90SK
10-01-2004, 08:15 PM
I've just had a thought. Is there a Mega-domo Admin of the entire site? Like, a Site Overlord or something? I guess a more accurate question would be: Who owns the site, and do they have a username?

TK-8252
10-01-2004, 09:15 PM
ChrisC3po (http://www.lucasforums.com/member.php?s=&action=getinfo&userid=1)

--ZeeMan--
10-02-2004, 06:34 AM

oooooh...the light at the end of the tunnel ^_^

Jed
10-02-2004, 11:00 AM
Actually, the owner is Aristotle, last time I checked.

obi
10-02-2004, 11:15 AM
I think they both own the place.

Pad
10-02-2004, 02:25 PM
I think I once heared there were 3 main admins.

Jed
10-03-2004, 11:01 AM
I think none of us know what we're talking about :p

--ZeeMan--
10-03-2004, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Jed
I think none of us know what we're talking about :p

ya think? lol j/k jed

90SK
10-03-2004, 05:17 PM

Originally posted by Jed
Actually, the owner is Aristotle, last time I checked.

Originally posted by obi
I think they both own the place.

Originally posted by Pad
I think I once heared there were 3 main admins.

AAAAAARRGH! Well, thanks for the effort:D

RoxStar
10-03-2004, 05:43 PM
I've got a question. When a mod goes through that confusing time when he/she/jed becomes a supermod, what are their new forums to police?

coupes.
10-03-2004, 06:22 PM
Supermods obviously can mod any forum on the site, however they'll be in charge of supervising certain specific forums. Of course they'll be monitoring the forum they're most active in, but they can also be asked by admins or even mods or supermods for some additionnal help in some other part of the boards if they need reinforcments. For example, if a mod won't be able to login for sometime or if a new game (like Battlefront) comes out, bringing lots of new members with it :p .

I'm sure Grooves, Jed or Obi could do a much better job of explaining this though, as I'm not a supermod myself...

ZBomber
10-03-2004, 06:28 PM
I THINK the main 3 admins are Aristotle, Chris, and Kurgan.

But I think the owner is Jed, since I've asked this in Forum Feedback before, and I think that's the answer I got. ;)

Tyrion
10-03-2004, 06:31 PM
But I think the owner is Jed, since I've asked this in Forum Feedback before, and I think that's the answer I got. ;)

I remember Jed even as Jedi220, and I definitely remember him not being even a mod. So he doesn't own the place.

Anyway, if I remember right, three people own LF.

ChrisC3PO
Aristotle
Jake

TheOutrider
10-03-2004, 06:40 PM
The thing in top left corner that says banth fodder for me how do I get that changed

ZBomber
10-03-2004, 06:56 PM
I remember Jed even as Jedi220, and I definitely remember him not being even a mod. So he doesn't own the place.

ChrisC3PO
Aristotle
Jake

Wow, notice the ";)". :p

Ofcourse Jed isn't the owner, I joined before him. :p

Jedidude - You need 1000 posts to get it to say what you want. Also, it changes for different amounts of posts. Check the rules. :)

Tyrion
10-03-2004, 07:10 PM
Wow, notice the ";)". :p

Yeah, but I figured you actually thought that, considering you're a man-broad and all.

Darth Groovy
10-03-2004, 09:48 PM
Originally posted by .:CoupeS:.
Supermods obviously can mod any forum on the site, however they'll be in charge of supervising certain specific forums. Of course they'll be monitoring the forum they're most active in, but they can also be asked by admins or even mods or supermods for some additionnal help in some other part of the boards if they need reinforcments. For example, if a mod won't be able to login for sometime or if a new game (like Battlefront) comes out, bringing lots of new members with it :p .

I'm sure Grooves, Jed or Obi could do a much better job of explaining this though, as I'm not a supermod myself...

No, actually that pretty much covers it. There was a brief incident about a year ago, where mods were intermoderating lead to alot of tension, since not ALL forums within LF have the same policies and rules. For this reason we agreed to stick to "our turf" as we lovingly call it.

For example:

LynkFormer has all the Star Wars forums.

I stick to the Jediknight.net forums as well as obi, leXX, acdcfanbill, Gonkh8er, and many others.

Redwing has all of the RP forums

Jed, obi, Lynky and myself all help out at the SWBF, because as expected with ANY new Game release, it's pretty thick over there. ;)

Sometimes regular mods from Monkey Island, or SWG might ask me to ban somebody, and i'll do it if they ask, and give me a reason. ;)

Alegis
10-04-2004, 12:15 PM

ChrisC3PO
Aristotle
Jake
Aristotle started jediknight.net and Jake mixinmojo right? Wonder what c3pos background is...we need a LFN fannetwork that holds this kind of information

Jed
10-04-2004, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by Dave Grohl
I've got a question. When a mod goes through that confusing time when he/she/jed becomes a supermod, what are their new forums to police?

I've got my eye on you, boy :p

*Yoinked*
10-05-2004, 09:11 AM
I was wondering, can a moderator get banned if he is bad enough, or does he get "demoted"?

Jed
10-05-2004, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by Adam G.
I was wondering, can a moderator get banned if he is bad enough, or does he get "demoted"?

Moderators sure as hell can get demoted/banned, but in the past this really doesn't happen often since mods usually know not to do things that would warrant a ban/demotion. Think I've seen it happen...once.

Vagabond
10-05-2004, 09:56 AM

Hopefully the judgement of the staff was dilligent enough to not promote someone to moderator that had shown a history of erratic, irresponsible behavior.

But for the sake of argument, let's assume that a bad apple got tapped for moderator. If that moderator did something that would get any other user banned, in my opinion, that moderator would likely have his power revoked, and possibly even be banned.

Mex
10-05-2004, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by Jed
Moderators sure as hell can get demoted/banned, but in the past this really doesn't happen often since mods usually know not to do things that would warrant a ban/demotion. Think I've seen it happen...once.

Now, that's just not nice. Let's keep everything on the hush hush. No need to go pointing fingers or mentioning names, ummkay?

~Niner

Lynk Former
10-05-2004, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by Vagabond
Hopefully the judgement of the staff was dilligent enough to not promote someone to moderator that had shown a history of erratic, irresponsible behavior.

The bad apples are easy to pick out so there's no real problem as to figure out who SHOULDN'T be a mod... it's figuring out which one of the good well behaving members should be a mod since there are usually a few really good people around at a time.

And if a moderator does do something that gets him/her demoted or possibly even banned you can bet that it was either an accident of some sort or something very out of character which can happen.

I do know that it was ChrisC3PO who installed vB onto the server to start LF... how do I know that?... well his member ID is #1. :p

Darth Groovy
10-05-2004, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by Jed

I too have only seen it happen once. THIS is why we take alot of time screening potential mods.

So far *knock wood* none of the people I have suggested have let me down. :)

Rogue Nine
10-06-2004, 12:51 AM
Don't be takin' all the credit now, Grooves. :p

IG-64
10-06-2004, 01:00 AM
Administrator... Search... *crawls forward in sand*.... enable... the... search....

Sivy
10-06-2004, 02:56 AM
Originally posted by IG-64
Administrator... Search... *crawls forward in sand*.... enable... the... search....

:wstupid:

its annoying not being able to get new posts.

Alegis
10-06-2004, 03:18 AM
true dat. Maybe the rush from swbf calmed a bit down...
"The database is busy at this time, please try again later"

Darth Rythe
10-06-2004, 03:34 AM
Originally posted by Alegis
true dat. Maybe the rush from swbf calmed a bit down...
"The database is busy at this time, please try again later"

I always try again again and again!:p

OT: I just realised Siv's Av moves:D

*Yoinked*
10-06-2004, 06:55 AM
Hmmm, that is good to know...... it will come in useful in the future.... ;) [j/k]

Continueing (sp) through logically, how could you ban an adaministrator if, in the unlikely occurence, a need arose?
And if this is partially of wholly taboo I apologive i advance.;)

ZBomber
10-06-2004, 12:20 PM
Hmmm, that is good to know...... it will come in useful in the future.... ;) [j/k]

Continueing (sp) through logically, how could you ban an adaministrator if, in the unlikely occurence, a need arose?
And if this is partially of wholly taboo I apologive i advance.;)

Admins are bannable, but, if they got that far, I doubt they'd do anything to get banned. :)

But, if they really messed aroufn with the forums, one of the owners would just restor a recent backup and deal with the troublemaker accordingly. ;)

Lynk Former
10-06-2004, 05:16 PM
Admins getting banned? It's a one in a billion kinda thing and one that you don't need to bother thinking about. It's like worrying about a tiny meteorite killing you by shooting straight down into your head.

swphreak
10-06-2004, 11:16 PM
It's like worrying about a tiny meteorite killing you by shooting straight down into your head.

Or a toilet seat from a falling Russian Satellite. :D

*watches too much Dead Like Me*

IG-64
10-07-2004, 04:50 AM
Or a bloodsucking zombie coming out from the cracks of your couch and stabbing your eyeball with a broken No. 2 pencil and then setting you on fire with his magic purple potato peeler that retracts from his neck :indif:

I just realised Siv's Av moves:D

Whoa, never noticed that either...

He must've recently added it or somn...

Vagabond
10-07-2004, 04:55 AM
I think the odds of an Admin getting banned are about as likely as a U.S. Army general taking his division and invading the White House. Can it happen? Yes. But serious psychosis would be involved.

Why do I make the above analogy? Someone becomes an admin when they have a vested interest in the success of LucasForums, after having proven one's self and thereby earned a great deal of trust from the owners. For an admin to intentionally betray that trust to the point of getting banned would involve a healthy serving of insanity.

So, like I said, it can happen. But if this is what keeps you worried awake at night, then I feel it's safe for me to say that you may now rest in sweet slumber.

El Sitherino
10-07-2004, 04:55 AM
Or a bloodsucking zombie coming out from the cracks of your couch and stabbing your eyeball with a broken No. 2 pencil and then setting you on fire with his magic purple potato peeler that retracts from his neck :indif: ... you are now no longer allowed to post things containing purple, potato, zombie, pencil, fire, and neck.

Pie™
10-07-2004, 06:50 AM
So, like I said, it can happen. But if this is what keeps you worried awake at night, then I feel it's safe for me to say that you may now rest in sweet slumber. Thank god!

*slumbers sweetly*

*Yoinked*
10-07-2004, 07:50 AM
Ok, it was just an idea and now I know, thanks!

Darth333
10-07-2004, 11:31 AM
I think the odds of an Admin getting banned are about as likely as a U.S. Army general taking his division and invading the White House....
Unless they do it themselves...it is amazing to see that you actually get hits on google (http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=%22IP+banned+myself&meta=) when you search "IP banned myself" :p But the admins of LF are above that of course ;)

Pie™
10-07-2004, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by Darth333
Unless they do it themselves...it is amazing to see that you actually get hits on google (http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=%22IP+banned+myself&meta=) when you search "IP banned myself" :p But the admins of LF are above that of course ;) *points at Joetheeskimo and laughs* :lol:

TheOutrider
10-07-2004, 06:57 PM
Whats pwns mean(trying not to sound like a noob(

Evil Dark Jedi
10-07-2004, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by TheRealJedidude

It means own.

Kain
10-07-2004, 08:10 PM

AH HAHAHA!! *points and laughs at the n00b*

I would ban myself...just to see if I really could.

TheOutrider
10-08-2004, 04:08 PM
This is to you Kain:mad:

Oh moderators are people allowed to made "Stuck" threads even if they arent a moderator

TK-8252
10-08-2004, 04:09 PM
Oh moderators are people allowed to made "Stuck" threads even if they arent a moderator

No. If they could 1/4 of the threads around here would be Stuck.

Darth Groovy
10-09-2004, 12:15 AM
This is to you Kain:mad:

Pay no attention to Kain, he has all the love of a grisley bear.

pwn is part of that |337 (leet) nonsense. Something I never wanted any part of.

We stick threads yes. Depending on it's value. Such as this one. It takes about 1.3 days for a thread to dissapear off the front page, depending on your setup features.

Evil Dark Jedi
10-09-2004, 12:38 AM
No. If they could 1/4 of the threads around here would be Stuck.

That is true you know. If everyone was a mod they would sticky there thread when they post it.

ET Warrior
10-09-2004, 01:16 PM
Admins getting banned? It's a one in a billion kinda thing and one that you don't need to bother thinking about. It's like worrying about a tiny meteorite killing you by shooting straight down into your head.

:indif:
*is now paranoid about tiny meteorites.*

ZBomber
10-09-2004, 02:21 PM
I actually like the word pwn. :D And it's not leet speak, I think it came from a Counter Strike guy hitting the "p" key instead of the "o" key. :D

Ah, gotta love it when people screw themselves over. :) Wonder if he knew his mistake would be so popular. ;)

MTV2
10-10-2004, 08:05 AM
Whats the difference between a moderator and a super moderator?

El Sitherino
10-10-2004, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by MTV2
Whats the difference between a moderator and a super moderator? laser eye-beams.

Lynk Former
10-10-2004, 08:29 AM
Whats the difference between a moderator and a super moderator?

A moderator can only moderate in areas that have their username next to while supermods can moderate everywhere within the forum. Supermods also have the ability to ban users.

MTV2
10-10-2004, 08:43 AM
A moderator can only moderate in areas that have their username next to while supermods can moderate everywhere within the forum. Supermods also have the ability to ban users.
moderators cant ban? whoa, thought they could, thanx;)

coupes.
10-10-2004, 09:13 AM
We're moderators, not banators ... :p

TheOutrider
10-10-2004, 09:45 AM
Whats TIA in the end of a post mean oh moderator ones

coupes.
10-10-2004, 10:21 AM
What's what ? :confused:

Sorry I didn't quite understand you there...

Darth Groovy
10-10-2004, 12:44 PM
TIA?

What's that?:confused:

90SK
10-10-2004, 12:54 PM

Don't get any ideas...:xp:

ZBomber
10-10-2004, 01:45 PM
Whats TIA in the end of a post mean oh moderator ones

Come again? Do you mean TOA? That would be terms of agreement..... :confused:

IG-64
10-10-2004, 02:22 PM
I'm a moderator for the first time at a JA total convertion forum lead by ZBomber, even though I haven't had a chance to put any of the tools to use yet, it's still a good feeling :p

Darth Groovy
10-10-2004, 02:31 PM
I'm a moderator for the first time at a JA total convertion forum lead by ZBomber, even though I haven't had a chance to put any of the tools to use yet, it's still a good feeling :p

Um.....go you?

ZBomber
10-10-2004, 02:44 PM
Um.....go you?

No no, go me. :D ;)

Lynk Former
10-10-2004, 09:05 PM
No no, go me. :D ;)

Okay, go away.

Redwing
10-10-2004, 11:42 PM

But moderators can get people banned by asking a supermod/admin to do it. ;)

Originally posted by Evil Dark Jedi
That is true you know. If everyone was a mod they would sticky there thread when they post it.

Now, now, do you see us mods making every thread we post sticky? :D

If everyone had the ability to make a thread sticky, we'd be having sticky wars, since the way it's set up anyone can unstick as easily as stick.

Darth Groovy
10-11-2004, 12:28 AM
And honestly, would THIS thread be as effective as a sticky?

What Redwing is saying, is that we have that power, but we don't abuse it. Otherwise my Halo 2 thread would have been a sticky :)

ZBomber
10-11-2004, 06:36 AM
And honestly, would THIS thread be as effective as a sticky?

What Redwing is saying, is that we have that power, but we don't abuse it. Otherwise my Halo 2 thread would have been a sticky :)

Question: How exactly DO you decide what gets a sticky? My guess is if it has important information on a game (As in, for the JA forum, you would sticky a new patch) and, for off-topic forums, just things that the community will find helpful?

Lynk: Yes master. :(

ET Warrior
10-11-2004, 07:03 AM
Typically it's an as you see fit basis for sticky's. If it has merit for sticky then we can, or if it's something we think everyone should see, it gets it. :)

swphreak
10-11-2004, 08:20 AM
And sometimes if a thread is popular, and could answer a lot of questions, it'll get stickied so new users would see it and not create a new thread for the millionth time asking the same question... and if a thread is inactive for so long it'll get unstickied.

MTV2
10-11-2004, 11:54 AM
Why is there like 10 admins??

did all of them make this site together or something??

can moderators, super mods, or admins change how many posts they have??

LightNinja
10-11-2004, 01:20 PM
Why is there like 10 admins??
you'd mean moderators; there are that much because there are many forums, not only jedi knight series forums

MTV2
10-12-2004, 06:27 AM
i know y theres so many moderators

but theres like 3,5,8,10 admins
I only know 2- Boba Rhett, and chris3-po(i think)

but can admins, mods or super mods change there post value?

Sivy
10-12-2004, 06:32 AM

but can admins, mods or super mods change there post value?

only admins can.

coupes.
10-12-2004, 07:48 AM
can moderators, super mods, or admins change how many posts they have??
Originally posted by Sivy
only admins can.
In fact, anyone can.

See, I just added 1 post to my total...

Alegis
10-12-2004, 08:14 AM
I don't think changing post count is really a vb feature. Also I don't think someone would ever do this. Kurgan actually has +12345 posts ;)

Anyone with access to the mysql server could change the values, but we're not really postcount hungry ;)

MTV2
10-12-2004, 03:13 PM
thats cuz you already have so many posts and you can change your name thing(bantha fodder, pit droid thing) but anywho, thanx

TheOutrider
10-12-2004, 04:32 PM
Are 10 year olds allowed on this site. Im 10 and it let me sign up but somebody said its against the TOS for 10 year olds to be on.

Tyrion
10-12-2004, 04:46 PM
Are 10 year olds allowed on this site. Im 10 and it let me sign up but somebody said its against the TOS for 10 year olds to be on.

Yes. We like to saw off the toes of any underaged forumers. With guitar strings. Steel ones. Coated in lemon juice.

;)

That's just to cover LF's asses. I myself joined when I was 12...I even told an admin that I was twelve, nothing happend.

MTV2
10-12-2004, 06:11 PM

It says when you sign in that no one under 13 can register. (but, I think, it says with parents permission that you can go on this site, so make sure you tell them about this;))

in your profile you can put your TOB for 2003 and it wouldnt care, it matters what you say when you register

And you are probably the only 10 year old here(or the youngest here);)

TK-8252
10-12-2004, 06:14 PM
There are kiddies running around here way younger than ten. Like seven and eight. Can barely figure out what it means to make a "new reply" or what a "FAQ" is. :p

Thrawn42689
10-12-2004, 06:59 PM
I think this whole thread is just a self-congratulatory way for the admins to say "Ha ha, I can do this and this and this!"

I know I wanted to do that when I became an admin. Absolut power creates absolut ecstasy.

Umm...bye. >.>

MTV2
10-12-2004, 06:59 PM
There are kiddies running around here way younger than ten. Like seven and eight. Can barely figure out what it means to make a "new reply" or what a "FAQ" is. :p

Are you serious!? OMFG! Thats crazy(not meaning to offend anybody)I wonder who it is:rolleyes:

:D :p :cool: :D :p :cool:

Redwing
10-12-2004, 08:21 PM
i know y theres so many moderators

but theres like 3,5,8,10 admins
I only know 2- Boba Rhett, and chris3-po(i think)

Because admins are the people who run the sites. All admins are admins because they do/have done website work, or run/help run an LF website. :)