PDA

View Full Version : Music, is music, is MUSIC!!!

Darth Groovy
09-10-2004, 12:02 AM
Well, in this topic (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=134770) we drifted off on a musical tangent which kind of defeats the purpose of the thread, but happens to interest me, as well as some other people.

Post about your musical preferences, post what you are listening too, if you play an instrument, or perform in a band, share that too!

I have currently been in 4 bands in my life. The first one was a semi-sweet punk band called "Trevor" where I played rythm guitar. Then I decided that I really suck at playing guitar (unless it is punk chordes), so me, and a guy I met in the Navy (he saw me wearing a Ministry T-Shirt, and we hit it off) decided to start an industrail band. We called it "Vent" , because it was a means to "vent off" our frustrations, and had some cool possibilites. We even made some killer logos based on it. Vent, actually went places, we did shows, had stickers, and got airplay on the radio. It was the zenith of my life!

Simultaneously, I was in ANOTHER band with some guys who had VERY DIFFERENT musical tastes, which involved Pavement, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, and Sonic Youth. This band was called "Drive Naked, Save Clothes". In THIS band we recoreded EVERYTHING we ever played, and had dozens of tapes where we would filter out what we thougth was cool. I became the singer in both of these bands, because some guys thought I had a good voice, and everyone else was too chicken to do it. This is where I gained my confidence as a singer. The advantage to being in two bands at once, is that occasionally, I could adopt certain poeple to play in our live shows from each group. Vent was too man gig, which most of the music was derived from synthesizers and sampling, but our live shows were more effective with real musicians, which is wear the DNSC guys really helped us out in major ways.

Then later after really missing the music gigs, I joined a metal band called "Syntryx", who were mostly doing Ozzy , Megadeth, and M.O.D. type stuff. I agreed to learn the songs, but I managed to turn them onto Alice In Chains, so we did two Alice covers as a compromise (for me having to learn how to do such metal bull**** like Ozzy, and Megadeth). We performed "Man In The Box", and "Would?". Even though they all broke up before our first gig. Most all of the members told me, that I was the only "REAL" singer they ever had....ah bands, and the madness/drugs that follow.

Currently, I am not in a band, but wanting to get back into it before I get too old. This time I want to do some grunge type stuff (Staind/Stone Temple Pilots) After I get my bills squared away, we will see what happens. I love singing! :)

Currently listening too: Ministry: "Shove"

Darth Rythe
09-10-2004, 12:37 AM
Umm..cool....

Listening to: "Scotty Doesn't know".....oh and Chem Bro's

CapNColostomy
09-10-2004, 01:45 AM
My band, as mentioned in the other thread was/is called Phatsaq. We wrote all of our own material. Most of the song titles are too...Well, they're vulgar, but not in a gross way. More like haha vulgar. But too vulgar to post here. If I had to say what we sounded like, I'd say a more upbeat Eyehategod, Iron Monkey, Bongzilla, or Crowbar with the occasional odd timing thrown in just to keep it interesting for us to play. I guess it was kinda like sludgy stoner type metal, for lack of a better term/vocabulary. So yeah...that was my 15 minutes in the sun.

As for what I'm into these days: Aborted, Acid Bath, Agents of Oblivion, Agoraphobic Nosebleed, alexisonfire, Amber Asylum, American Head Charge, Anal C**t, Between the Burried and Me, Bongzilla, Bonnie 'Prince' Billy, Burnt By the Sun, Butthole Surfers, Cannibal Corpse, Clutch, Corrosion of Conformity, Crowbar, David Allan Coe, Dead Kennedys, Dead Milkmen, Dead to Fall, Deadboy and the Elephantmen, Deeds of Flesh, Dillenger Escape Plan, Dysrhythmia, Epoch of Unlight, Eternal Suffering, Eyehategod, Faith No More, Fantomas, Frank Black, Genocide Superstars, Goatwhore, Gravediggers Jokebook, Gwar, Hank Williams III, Helmet, High on Fire, Iron Monkey, Johnny Cash, Kyuss, Lard, Lovage, Mastodon, Meatjack, Melvins, Meshuggah, Ministry, Mondo Generator, Mr. Bungle, Mudvayne, Nile, Pig Destroyer, Prick, Six Feet Under, Soilent Green (probably my all time favorite band, if I had to chose only one), Still Breathing, The Red Chord, Today is the Day, and Tomahawk to name a few.

Listening to Goatwhore-Sky Inferno (in my sig). I'm going to see them with Deicide next month on the 9th. I can't wait.

txa1265
09-10-2004, 03:34 AM
Musical Preferences
I'm primarily a Jazz lover, and also Classical, but also like 'instrumentally oriented' rock music (as well as 80's stuff and other rock I liked as a kid in the 70's like The Who).

My leanings are heavily towards Avante Garde music - loose (if any) rhythm and tonality. My classical tastes run in the Romantic to Modern as my favorites - so from Beethovan on out. Which is interesting since two of my favorites are Wagner and Reich - Richard Wagner who used the largest and most complex orchestras and orchestration, and Steven Reich who is a major composer in the 'Minimalist' genre ... which has very limited tonal range of motion and typically small groups.

Musical Instruments
My primary instrument is Bass - I played in Jazz, Fusion and Rock groups for years. But my first instrument was guitar, so I've always maintained some guitar chops. I have considerable manual dexterity, allowing me to play very fast but poorly constructed runs ;) In college I needed to learn basic piano skills for a music theory class I took (I got a 'minor' in electronic music and it satisfied all of my humanities ;) ), so I embraced that wholeheartedly.

So now I'm pretty decent at keys as well as bass and guitar. Most of my music life in the last 15 years or so has been playing around in my home studio, doing some light composition stuff.

Now Playing?
I'm listening to Pat Metheny right now.

Mike

Pie™
09-10-2004, 03:47 AM
Well, me and some guys are planning to start up a band, and I'll probably do the vocals, either gothic-dark, or black metal growling...

Anyways, for the time I'm mostly into Gothic, Industrial, and different kinds of metal (mostly black)

The 69 Eyes , After Forever, Alice In Chains, Ancient, Bathory, Bauhaus, Black Tape For A Blue Girl, Blind Guardian, Carpathian Forest, Children Of Bodom, Christian Death, Cirith Gorgor, Clan Of Xymox, The Clash, Cradle Of Filth, Crematory, Cruxshadows, The Cure, Danzig, Dark Tranquillity, Darkthrone, David Bowie, Dead Can Dance, Death Cult/The Cult/Southern Death Cult, Deicide, Demons And Wizards, Depeche Mode, Dream Theater, Edguy, Gothminister, Iced Earth, Immortal, Imperanon, Iron Maiden, Jimi Hendrix, Joy Division, Killing Joke, Lacrimosa, Lacuna Coil, London After Midnight, Love And Rockets, Manowar, Mayhem, (old) Metallica, The Misfits, Motorhead, Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, Nightwish, Nine Inch Nails, Nosferatu, Opeth, Rasputina, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Satyricon, Sinergy, Siouxsie And The Banshees, Sirenia, The Sisters Of Mercy, Skinny Puppy, Slayer, Sonata Arctica, Stratovarius, Theatre Of Tragedy, Therion, Tori Amos, Tristania, Type O Negative, and Within Temptation

phew, think that was most of what I regularly listen to :p

Now playing: Type O Negative - Black No 1

manoman81
09-10-2004, 03:53 AM
Well, since we're on the topic of music, I need your opinions. The Screen Savers on TechTV came across an mp3 site that was cheap. 0.01 cents per mb. You read it right. All of MP3 (http://www.allofmp3.com)
It's a Russian site. When you click the english lang. link, you have to open the site again in another window. Anyways, back to the question: Is it safe to buy music from this site? You can use Paypal to buy music (when it's working). On the show, they said it was easy and a great way to get music, but they didn't know about the legal end of it...

As for my music preferences, I've been getting into some new age stuff and remixes of game music here (http://www.ocremix.org/).

CapNColostomy
09-10-2004, 04:47 AM
Originally posted by Pie™
Killing Joke

Oh wow. I haven't thought about those guys in years! Good one.

Ministry-Worthless

ckcsaber
09-10-2004, 05:36 AM
Hehe

I’ve played Saxophone for about 8 or 9 years now. Other than my high schools bands, which I didn't really care about much, I've played in 3 different bands. One was a little ska band with me on tenor/alto sax, a buddy of mine on trombone, another friend on trumpet, one guitarist, and a drummer. We tried to play a variety of music, but the band was really just a gathering of friends. I was in another band very similar to this when I moved from Chicago to California.

My biggest group experience was while I was living in Michigan. Lansing to be precise. I was becoming more involved with my local Pentecostal church. From my church I volunteered to help out a local Christian drug rehabilitation center, where I worked at for 6 months. When I got there I found out that one of their biggest ways to raise money for the center was playing at churches all over the state of Michigan.

I met one of the head pastors, who was also the bandleader, and asked if they needed a saxophone player, and I became part of the band.

This band had to be the most musically talented group of people I had ever known in my life. The band leader played the keyboard in a fashion I never imagined. He did a crazy bass walk (since we had no bass) on one side of the keyboard, and played the rhythm and melodies on the other side WHILE singing lead. The guy was AMAZING. Then we had a guy working at the center who played Guitar. He was a previous "student" at the center, and also happened to be a fantastic guitarist. He was our only guitar player, but he and our keyboardist switched off between playing lead and rhythm.

Then we had a pretty good drummer for Tennessee who was still a "student" at the center. He played along with the band perfectly. And we also had 3 backup singers, providing all the vocals we would need.

I came in not knowing what to do at all. The leader just told me to cut loose, and I slowly did. After about 2 months I became a completely different Sax player. It was amazing. I switched between playing the harmony and melody with the guitar and keys, and was becoming more and more adept at improvising, which was sometimes forced upon me XD.

We played mainly Gospel and a "Christian" version of rock & roll. It may sound corny to some, but I think we rocked.

Anyways, I'm listening to Roy Buchanan right now.

edlib
09-10-2004, 05:37 AM
I play guitar and bass,.. and have a pretty nice collection, thanks mostly to my dad who's a professional jazz guitarist and who sends me all his "hand-me-downs' when he gets tired of them.
See them here: http://66.90.64.18/showthread.php?s=&threadid=113039

Most of my playing is noodling around the house these days... I've just been too busy with work to try to get involved with a band... which is kinda ironic, since I work at the biggest music college on the east-coast.

I've been listening to a lot of Prog-Rock (Tull, Yes, The Dixie Dregs...) these days, although I really do like everything. I wish I played jazz better, because I'm sure my dad would have me gigging with him if I did.

Darth Groovy
09-10-2004, 06:05 AM
Well, me and some guys are planning to start up a band, and I'll probably do the vocals, either gothic-dark, or black metal growling...

Anyways, for the time I'm mostly into Gothic, Industrial, and different kinds of metal (mostly black)

The 69 Eyes , After Forever, Alice In Chains, Ancient, Bathory, Bauhaus, Black Tape For A Blue Girl, Blind Guardian, Carpathian Forest, Children Of Bodom, Christian Death, Cirith Gorgor, Clan Of Xymox, The Clash, Cradle Of Filth, Crematory, Cruxshadows, The Cure, Danzig, Dark Tranquillity, Darkthrone, David Bowie, Dead Can Dance, Death Cult/The Cult/Southern Death Cult, Deicide, Demons And Wizards, Depeche Mode, Dream Theater, Edguy, Gothminister, Iced Earth, Immortal, Imperanon, Iron Maiden, Jimi Hendrix, Joy Division, Killing Joke, Lacrimosa, Lacuna Coil, London After Midnight, Love And Rockets, Manowar, Mayhem, (old) Metallica, The Misfits, Motorhead, Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds, Nightwish, Nine Inch Nails, Nosferatu, Opeth, Rasputina, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Satyricon, Sinergy, Siouxsie And The Banshees, Sirenia, The Sisters Of Mercy, Skinny Puppy, Slayer, Sonata Arctica, Stratovarius, Theatre Of Tragedy, Therion, Tori Amos, Tristania, Type O Negative, and Within Temptation

phew, think that was most of what I regularly listen to :p

Now playing: Type O Negative - Black No 1

That's an awsome song. I seen Type O' open for Danzig back in 94, and Type O' pretty much upstaged Glenn by leaps and bounds.

Seems you and I like alot of the same stuff. At least you don't listen to that fake ass hack otherwise known as Marilyn Manson. (all the fake goth kids listen to that moron.) David Bowie (my absolute FAVORITE solo artist),The Cure, Skinny Puppy, Misfits, Danzig, Killing Joke, Tori Amos, Nick Cave, Joy Division, Depeche Mode, Jimi Hendrix, Love And Rockets, The Red Hot Chili Peppers, The Clash, Type O' Negative, and Nine Inch Nails... All of those are in my CD collection.

I have a large collection of old school industrial bands: 16 Volt, Evil Mothers, Pigface, KMFDM, Lard, Skrew, Chemlab, Pailhead, Revolting Cocks, 1,000 Homo Djs, Download, Coil, Tear Garden, Frontline Assembly, Front 242, Nitzer Ebb, Godflesh, Die Krupps, Die Warzau, Throbbing Gristle, Razed In Black, Meat Beat Manifesto, Hate Dept, Numb, My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult, Leæther Strip, Controlled Bleeding, Spahn Ranch, Young Gods, Excessive Force, and Sister Machine Gun.

I don't listen to as MUCH of it as I used too, but I will pop in some Skinny Puppy when I am writing or doing some kind of graphic work on the pc, and some Ministry when I am fragging online. Lately I been listening to Ministry ALOT again....hence the av and sig combo.

Now playing: Skinny Puppy - "Deep Down Trauma Hounds"

Pie™
09-10-2004, 06:11 AM
Originally posted by Darth Groovy
That's an awsome song. I seen Type O' open for Danzig back in 94, and Type O' pretty much upstaged Glenn by leaps and bounds.

Seems you and I like alot of the same stuff. David Bowie (my absolute FAVORITE solo artist),The Cure, Skinny Puppy, Misfits, Danzig, Killing Joke, Tori Amos, Nick Cave, Joy Division, Depeche Mode, Jimi Hendrix, The Clash, Type O' Negative, and Nine Inch Nails... All of those are in my CD collection. That's awesome! :D
If you like Negative you should check out the 2 last 69 Eyes albums Blessed Be and Paris Kills... They are somewhat like October Rust by Type O ;)

Siouxsie and the Banshees - Helter Skelter

[edit] Oh, some great newer industrial bands are Cruxshadows and London After Midnight

sweetness :D

The Misfits - Nike A Go Go

Darth Groovy
09-10-2004, 06:15 AM
That's awesome! :D
If you like Negative you should check out the 2 last 69 Eyes albums Blessed Be and Paris Kills... They are somewhat like October Rust by Type O ;)

Siouxsie and the Banshees - Helter Skelter

I think I like Type O' because they don't take themselves too seriously, but they sound REALLY good in concert. They guy's Bella Lou Gosi voice kind of bugs me after a while.... (I guess that is more your dept) I never got into the doom metal thing.

Now playing: Leæther Strip: "Antius"

Pie™
09-10-2004, 06:22 AM
I think I like Type O' because they don't take themselves too seriously, but they sound REALLY good in concert. They guy's Bella Lou Gosi voice kind of bugs me after a while.... (I guess that is more your dept) I never got into the doom metal thing.

Now playing: Leæther Strip: "Antius" Not Doom Metal; Gothic Metal ;)

Opeth and Tristania is Doom Metal :p

I like goils, bad goils all over this world ;p

Opeth - By The Pain I See In Others

Astrotoy7
09-10-2004, 06:53 AM
Originally posted by CapNColostomy
Listening to Goatwhore-Sky Inferno (in my sig). I'm going to see them with Deicide next month on the 9th. I can't wait.

wow man, you get to see Deicide before Astro :)

as for me, never been in a band except for when I played the xylophone in primary school percussion class. I listen to all sorts of stuff. But I went through phases when I was younger and now seem to have phases over and over :(

Fave artists :

Metal :
Deicide
Morbid Angel
Goatwhore
Bolt Thrower
Cryptopsy
Sepultura(early)
My Dying Bride
Slayer(nothing after South of Heaven tho)

Hip Hop
Public Enemy
Ice T
KRS 1
Beastie Boys
Ultramagentic MCs

Electronica
Atari teenage Riot
Prodigy
Chemical Bros(earlier stuff = cooler)

Alternative/Indy/Punk/Rock
Sonic Youth
Mudhoney
Pennywise
Dead kennedys(early)
Sex Pistols
Smashing Punpkins
Nine Inch Nails
Led Zepp
Black Sabbath
The Doors

Funky !
Portishead
James Brown
The Jackson 5

Classical/Vocal/Opera
J S Bach, particularly for the Brandenburg Concertos
G F Handel, particulalrly his early cantatas and duettos
Early Elizabethan Airs, especially when performed by Emma Kirkby

:)

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head..... I;d have to look at my cd collection to remember more.....

swphreak
09-10-2004, 07:12 AM
I've never been in a band, can;t play instruments or sing but I like listening to music!

Recently, I've been listening to Three Days Grace a lot. Awesome lyrics.

GothiX
09-10-2004, 08:35 AM
Guh.. Let's see, in random order, here are my favorite bands.

The Sisters of Mercy, Inkubus Sukkubus, Bauhaus, The Cure, The 69 Eyes, the old Rasmus, Nightwish, After Forever, Within temptation, Lacuna Coil, Epica, Sonata Arctica, Therion, Dream Theater, Tarot, Autumn, The Gathering, Serpentine, Trail of Tears, Flowing Tears, Apocalyptica, Opeth, Tristania, Sirenia, Dimmu Borgir, Cradle of Filth, My Dying Bride, Penumbra, Deathangel, and Crematory... And some random others.

Now playing: Cradle of Filth - Damnation and a Day

Pie™
09-10-2004, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by GothiX
Guh.. Let's see, in random order, here are my favorite bands.

The Sisters of Mercy, Inkubus Sukkubus, Bauhaus, The Cure, The 69 Eyes, the old Rasmus, Nightwish, After Forever, Within temptation, Lacuna Coil, Epica, Sonata Arctica, Therion, Dream Theater, Tarot, Autumn, The Gathering, Serpentine, Trail of Tears, Flowing Tears, Apocalyptica, Opeth, Tristania, Sirenia, Dimmu Borgir, Cradle of Filth, My Dying Bride, Penumbra, Deathangel, and Crematory... And some random others.

Now playing: Cradle of Filth - Damnation and a Day Well, it's good to see that we have a healthy difference in music taste :p

Now playing: Nightwish - Bless The Child

Elijah
09-10-2004, 09:09 AM
Straight edge 4 life yo.

Groovy, the straight edge bands that you named, are mostly punk, straight edge was (debatebly) started by Minor Threat, as you suggested, how ever, Minor Threat is not hardcore, but more punk. I would be happy to post some links to afew hardcore band sites if anyone is interested, but it DOES seem that alot of people around here have hardcore confused with metal, heavy metal, or punk of some kind... they are miles apart.

--ZeeMan--
09-10-2004, 09:21 AM
Rise Against, Goo Goo Dolls

Captain Wilson
09-10-2004, 09:34 AM
My tastes range from punk to Heveu metal. I do like nu-metal as well but only a few groups)

ZBomber
09-10-2004, 11:46 AM
I'm into 70'S-80's rock.

Aerosmith, Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, Queen, Guns N Roses, The Doors, The Who, Mettalica, The beatles..... And then theres bands were I like a few select song, Def Leppard, Ozzy Osbourne....

Listening to: GNR - November Rain

Elijah
09-10-2004, 11:56 AM
Is LF just a gathering for hippies? holy crap.

:-D

ZBomber
09-10-2004, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by ZDawg
Is LF just a gathering for hippies? holy crap.

:-D

Yes sir, yes it is. :p

*hippitizes you*

Jed
09-10-2004, 12:59 PM
I listen to a mix of stuff.

Artists: Aerosmith, Barenaked Ladies, Billy Joel, Blues Traveler, David Bowie, Elton John, Fastball, Maroon 5, Matchbox 20, Matthew Good, Robbie Williams, Semisonic, Sister Hazel, The Beatles, The Wallflowers, Weezer

Which is so incredibly different from most of what you guys listen to >_>

ZBomber
09-10-2004, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Jed
The Beatles

Which is so incredibly different from most of what you guys listen to >_>

Add that to my list too. I onlyt have "The One" CD or what it's called, but I listen to it often. :D

Samuel Dravis
09-10-2004, 01:29 PM
...It DOES seem that alot of people around here have hardcore confused with metal, heavy metal, or punk of some kind... they are miles apart. Heh, it's all meaningless yelling to me. ;) Classical/Instrumental, please.

Rogue Nine
09-10-2004, 01:50 PM
I repeat my question from the previous thread. What classifies a band as 'hardcore'? And this new 'straight edge' stuff you talk about?

Elijah
09-10-2004, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by Samuel Dravis
Heh, it's all meaningless yelling to me. ;) Classical/Instrumental, please. Its an aquired taste, but I respect classical to the fullest.

and bomber, I would suck a 9mm before becoming a hippie :-p Straight Edge and hippie DONT MIX mwah.

Rogue Nine
09-10-2004, 04:16 PM
Somebody please answer my question. ;_;

Elijah
09-10-2004, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by Rogue Nine
I repeat my question from the previous thread. What classifies a band as 'hardcore'? And this new 'straight edge' stuff you talk about?
Staight edge is not new, by any means. Straight Edge is a movement of high morals, no smoking/drinking/pre-marital sex. Hardcore is a style of music, with lots of break downs, lots "hard" music... I will post some links to music if you would like.

KBell
09-10-2004, 04:58 PM
Sevendust

Revis

Shinedown

Seether

Audio Slave

Trapt

Velvet Revolver

Skindred

Muse

Chevelle

Bad Religion

Breaking Benjamin

Those are the bands I frequently listen to.

Captain Wilson
09-10-2004, 06:11 PM
Listen to Rage not AS.

Rogue Nine
09-10-2004, 07:54 PM
Staight edge is not new, by any means. Straight Edge is a movement of high morals, no smoking/drinking/pre-marital sex. Hardcore is a style of music, with lots of break downs, lots "hard" music... I will post some links to music if you would like.

Uh, what?

I'm lost. :(

BongoBob
09-10-2004, 08:16 PM
Hmm, let's see, most of you won't like these, but I dun give a crap...

Linkin Park, Rage Against the Machine, Box Car Racer, Nickelback, Sum 41, Coheed In Cambria, Bowling For Soup(all praise the soup), Five for Fighting, 3 Doors Down, System of a Down, Jurassic 5(old schoolish rap), The Killers, Franz Ferdinand, Modest Mouse, Metalica, evanescece...that's all I can think of now.

:)

KBell
09-10-2004, 08:26 PM
Originally posted by Captain Wilson
Listen to Rage not AS.

Um, no thankyou.

Darth Groovy
09-10-2004, 09:13 PM
Originally posted by Captain Wilson
Listen to Rage not AS.

Audioslave > RATM

Currently playing: Skinny Puppy - "Worlocked"

GothiX
09-10-2004, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by BongoBob
Linkin Park, ..., evanescece

*gasp*

I can't believe people listen to those bands, especially Evanescence.. they suck so incredibly much, that Amy Lee's voice even goes through an extreme lot of computer editing before it ends up on a song. Oh, funny fact: Amy Lee didn't have a solo in her duet with Seether, because Seether's label doesn't like the editing of voices.

Now playing: Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart

(Ack, forgot that one in the list.)

Darth Groovy
09-10-2004, 11:52 PM
*gasp*

I can't believe people listen to those bands, especially Evanescence.

Most overated band in the universe in my opinion.

Currently Playing:
My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult - "A Daisy Chain 4 Satan (Acid And Flowers Mix)"

GothiX
09-10-2004, 11:59 PM
Most overrated band in the universe would be Slipknot.

Now playing: Cradle of Filth - Nymphetamine Overdose

First released song of their new album.

Darth Groovy
09-11-2004, 12:31 AM

Christ....

I auditioned for a few bands, once they mention that name, I politely excuse myself, get in the car, and leave. -_-

Currently Playing: Joy Division - "Dead Souls"

Astrotoy7
09-11-2004, 01:25 AM
Audioslave > RATM

that's gotta be the funniest thing you've ever said...... :D

The CapN and I were talking about this once...... he summed it up perfectly :

"...you can get elements of two great bands(ie soundgarden and RATM) and still end up with a s*it sammich(audioslave)...."

mtfbwya

I havent been listening to anything recently, too busy packing for my trip to thailand :D

CapNColostomy
09-11-2004, 01:34 AM

I think you meant to say Nirvana. Here's a band with mediocre songs, a couple o' top 40 hits, etc...Nothing special. But as soon as the lead singer offs himself, "they were geniuses!", "Kurt was a great poet and songwriter!" and all that crap. None of which, was uttered or ever found to be relevant until the discovery of his body I might add.

Yeah, so they helped usher in grunge. BFD. Is that really something to write home about? I mean, as far as I can tell all they did by helping bring so called "grunge" to the fore front of pop rock music, was set a huge trend of self loathing, woe is me, whiny fake-ass pop rock to follow. Try to turn on a contemporary pop rock station and NOT be bombarded with pre fab angst ridden tales about some over privileged, white, junky kids hard times. I thank Nirvana for that. Because until they came along, rock music was all about getting laid, getting high, hot rods...you know, the same stuff rap music is all about now. Not that those subject matters are cool, but I'm certainly tired of hearing a grown man "sing" about how bad his life is. Yeah. Doinking a model on a pile of money every night sure sounds rough to me, Mr. I'm a loser baby so why don't you kill me.

Linkin Park seems to be the worst band in the world for this sort of behavior though. This guy, will actually make up being molested, and write songs about it if he thinks it might put one more razor to a white teenage dumbass kids wrist, or milk one more sympathetic tear from the cow eyes of some retarded female fan (groupy, if she's REALLY LUCKY). And he'll admit it in Rolling Stone magazine too. And to make matters worse, they have a guy rapping about how ****ty things are too. Rap, while I hate it, is some of the most macho **** ever. But then you get this guy talking about "oh damn, I tried. But nobody likes me" or something along those lines but less original than even that. It's only depressing and moving in the fact that it makes me want to eat a bullet or better still, shoot them, just so I might not be subjected to it again. But then if they died it would just be more whiny ass pop rock martyrs to be hailed as genius. :mad:

Playing Keefmaster, by Bongzilla.

[EDIT] BTW, ZDawg. I asked what band you were talking about when you mentioned Still Breathing. I'm assuming maybe there's more than one. Who are you talking about liking?

Pie™
09-11-2004, 04:33 AM
Currently Playing: Joy Division - "Dead Souls" Awesomeness :D

Yeah, Nirvana is overrated, and they wouldn't be half as popular if mr Cobain still was alive today :/
Evanescence and Slipknot are **** IMO :mad:

Now playing: The Sisters Of Mercy - This Corrosion

ZBomber
09-11-2004, 04:50 AM
I don't really get Linkin Park either.......

Aerosmith - Back to the roots - Mother Popcorn/Walk this Way

Astrotoy7
09-11-2004, 08:39 AM
.....until they came along, rock music was all about getting laid, getting high, hot rods...you know, the same stuff rap music is all about now.....

you mean classic/50s rock, like in [i]American Graffitti[/b]...

Pre Nirvana rock also did suck, dudes with big hair and tights *ugh* Rock started to to get way too pop in the late 70s, the what led to the original indy/punk scene.......

I am scratching my head trying to think of an exciting developing form of music that is happening *right now* .....

*tries to organise music by era*

50s....rock, blues, early soul
60....rock, soul plus pop plus psychedelic sh*t, the beginnings of the 'rock lifestyle'
70.....all of the above, gaining momentum, but new sounds emerge pop+soul = disco pop+rock = glam rock. As a reaction to all this....punk
80s..... sh*t is all over the place... the new music is rap, formed from the aftermath of when white people took over disco/dance hall and messed it up. hard rock becomes metal..... crossovers start happening, grunge creeps in
90. early 90s. a relative golden. metal, hip hop etc all had their own energies and werent totally corrupted by commercialism yet...

late 90s to now.....electronica has come and gone :( even hip hop and punk have their sickening top 40 variants... music has become a mish mash of extremes and re-hashes...

with the advent of mp3s, p2p the music industry has changed dramatically......who knows what the industry will look like in 10 yrs time, let alone 50.....

*sigh*

mtfbwya

Pie™
09-11-2004, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by Astrotoy7
80s..... sh*t is all over the place... the new music is rap, formed from the aftermath of when white people took over disco/dance hall and messed it up. hard rock becomes metal..... crossovers start happening, grunge creeps in late 70s/early 80s: the post-punk is just starting to take shape; bands like The Cure, Bauhaus, The Sisters Of Mercy, and Siouxsie and the Banshees forms what will later be known as the gothic movement, with a never before heard dark sound

<.<

Mike Windu
09-11-2004, 09:28 AM
Now Listening to - Led Zeppelin - The Ocean

I listen to the most(as of now)

Led Zeppelin

Switchfoot

Blink 182

Franz Ferdinand

Outkast

GNR

Linkin Park(they got kinda old)

Kanye West

Usher

Yellowcard

Green Day

Orchestra music, game/movie soundtracks, and rap I listen to a lot less nowadays. >.> Shocker

btw: Evanescence and Nirvana are extremely overrated.

ZBomber
09-11-2004, 09:44 AM
Good, stop liking rap all together (except the old stuff) and I will un-kill your friends. :p

GNR - Make My Day - Welcome to the Jungle

Mike Windu
09-11-2004, 09:47 AM
I refuse!

*finds some more rap to listen to*

Acrylic
09-11-2004, 11:20 AM
What I play:
I've been playing guitar for about 4 years now...
I've been really not doing much within those 4 years, but once 2004 hit, I just started practicing like crazy, 5 hours a day, learning music, making my own stuff, learning how to read music, all that good stuff. And now I gotta say, I'm pretty good.

Bands I was/am in:
I had a band before called "Motto". It was with my friend Tyler, and my other friend Nick. We didnt do ANYTHING. I though Nick had a drumset, but he didn't. So that was 3 months wasted there. And Tyler couldn't even play bass. o_0

Now, I'm in a band. We had a name for last year's talent show, and that name was "Reverb". That isn't our name anymore. Infact, we don't have a name yet, on account of its really hard to think of a good one. Well, we play in the classic rock / blues style. And we are currently the most popular band in my highschool. (Honored by the Seniors!!:D) We consist of Jake, he sings (really good) and plays the lead/solo stuff. Danny, who plays bass. Alton, who plays drums. And me, Nick, who plays Rhythm Guitar. I play all the guitar that goes in. He mostly plays the fills, and really super fast solo stuff.

Music I like:
Well, for a genre, I prefer rock, but bands are like:
Led Zeppelin, The Who, Pink Floyd, Metallica, Dave Matthews Band, AC/DC, The Clash, The Cure, The Beatles, Nickelback, Tomte (A German Band), The Eagles, AND MANY MORE...

What I'm listening to now:
Money - Pink Floyd

Kain
09-11-2004, 12:05 PM
New music (in the last 4 years) has been ALL ****. The golden age of Rock IMO was the end of the millenium, with KoRn fathering Nu Metal, Linkin Park breeding the only successful hybrid of Rock and Rap, the sympathetic hard hitting of Staind, and realization that Fred Durst is indeed the biggest piece of **** walking the Earth. There was the anti-conformist Rage Against the Machine saying what most people thought, pretty boy led Bush showing us prettyboys aren't just for pop anymore, Disturbed talking about the darker side of humanity, and Kittie showing girlies aren't just for oogoling.

Now people just need to drag Durst, Good Charolette, everyband starting with THE, Franz Fernindand, Modest Mouse, and Amy Lee into a hole, cover em in gasoline, and toss a few zippos in and watch the bon-fire go.

And for the record: AUDIOSLAVE AND VELVET REVOLVER ****ING SUCK.

Mike Windu
09-11-2004, 12:11 PM
Remove Franz Ferdinand and you got yourself a good bonfire going.

Kain
09-11-2004, 12:26 PM
Are you kidding Mike? Franz is one of the primary pillars of fire.

Acrylic
Originally posted by Kain
everyband starting with THE

The Who?
The Beatles?
The Clash?
The Cure?
The Eagles?

???:eek:???

Kain
Originally posted by Acrylic
The Who?
The Beatles?
The Clash?
The Cure?
The Eagles?

???:eek:???

In-freakin-deed.

Pie™
09-11-2004, 12:29 PM
New music (in the last 4 years) has been ALL ****. The golden age of Rock IMO was the end of the millenium, with KoRn fathering Nu Metal, Linkin Park breeding the only successful hybrid of Rock and Rap, the sympathetic hard hitting of Staind, and realization that Fred Durst is indeed the biggest piece of **** walking the Earth. There was the anti-conformist Rage Against the Machine saying what most people thought, pretty boy led Bush showing us prettyboys aren't just for pop anymore, Disturbed talking about the darker side of humanity, and Kittie showing girlies aren't just for oogoling. Kittie is nu-crap ;p

anyways; with saying that all bands starting with THE is crap you make a very broad statement :p

are you saying that The Clash, The Sisters Of Mercy, The Stooges, The Rolling Stones, The Cure, The Cult, The Jimi Hendrix Experience, The Misfits, and The Beatles are all crap?
In that case I suggest you open your eyes :p

Now Playing: Type O Negative - Paranoid (Black Sabbath cover)

Mike Windu
09-11-2004, 12:36 PM
He means

The Secret Machines
The Killers
The Scissor Sisters
The generic band name

:xp:

I like the killers though ^_^

Acrylic
09-11-2004, 12:48 PM
In-freakin-deed.

Wow. Just wow.

I honestly can't believe that you hate that type of music and prefer a band like Staind or Korn over The Beatles or The Clash?

Again, Wow.

EDIT - Flesh and Bone - Alien Ant Farm

KBell
09-11-2004, 12:48 PM

For the record that matters, no they do not.

Pie™
09-11-2004, 12:54 PM
Wow. Just wow.

I honestly can't believe that you hate that type of music and prefer a band like Staind or Korn over The Beatles or The Clash?

Again, Wow.

EDIT - Flesh and Bone - Alien Ant Farm I don't want to start a flame war over who's taste is best, but that sounds (looks) funny coming from someone who listens to Alien Ant Farm :p

;)

Now Playing: Blind Guardian - Don't Break The Circle

Acrylic
09-11-2004, 01:07 PM
I don't want to start a flame war over who's taste is best, but that sounds (looks) funny coming from someone who listens to Alien Ant Farm :p

I bought the CD like 2 years ago. Just thought I'd pop it in to listen to it again.

Somebody Got Murdered - The Clash

Darth Groovy
09-11-2004, 01:26 PM

I think Audioslave is pretty good. I always admired Tom Morello's guitar noise, but was never too fond of Zack's nasel rapping.

I don't see what the big deal is. Soundgarden was around forever, and RATM were around for a while. Nobody ever complained that much about either or, but you put certain members of both groups together, and everyone jumps on the Haterwagon. I remember the same thing happened when Coverdale and Page made an album together.

Seriously though, compared to what else is out there, are they really THAT bad?!?!? Limp Biskit (Fred "loser" Durst ) comes to mind. Fred and Biskit is probably the worst thing to happen to rock and roll since ****ing Elvis died.

Linkin Park is not the WORST act out there. They are the ONLY ones that really seemed to blend rap and metal together smoothely, and still sound original. However I will be the first to say that Meteora was a lousy album, and I am starting to notice a pattern that they seem to follow. All of the songs really DO sound the same, and they are hiding behind a facade of really fancy coverart and anime inspired videos. I don't think they are going to be around much longer IMO. Alot of what they do sounds very processed, fake and over exagerated. It took them 3 years to come up with less than 30 minutes worth of music, and metora was mediocre at best.

Dunno about Velvet Revolver, because I never heard them.

You know, music always amuses me. People are the ones who **** music up, not the artists. People will rip on each other and get into big wars over which music sucks, and which music doesn't. Then when you get to be my age, you don't have to impress your freinds anymore, so you just listen to whatever YOU think sounds cool, and don't have to give a **** about what people think.

Not Doom Metal; Gothic Metal ;)

Don't take any offense Pie™, but seriously, if it is gloomy and doomy and gothic, aren't all of those pretty much the same feeling and sound? Doom, Gothic.....whateva.

LOL! This reminds me of the time where I had to explain my music to people who came and saw our band play. They would want to know "What IS industrial music?" You try to explain that it is not really all that defined, then some hot rod comes and claims that Fear Factory is the best Industrial Band in the world, then I would argue that Fear Factory is a death metal band who likes to play with samples and keyboards from time to time. I actually was into Death Metal for a short period of time. (Deicide, Napalm Death, Godflesh, M.O.D.) Any of you remember a term called "thrash metal". Yeah, exactly. Ten years from now, it will all be found in the "Metal" section of your local music store. Only those local record stores that cares to take the time to micromanage every type of music by what it happens to be known as "at the time", will do so.

Then there was this horrible time after Nirvana dominated the radio, and group that had a singer wearing a sweater, or members with mussy hair were considered "alternative", a category which still bothers the ever loving **** out of me. It is like record companies wanted to say "Alternative", as in, "you deal with that ALTERNATIVE music, we'll stick to Bon Jovi and Janet Jackson over here." My conclusion, there is no such thing as "alternative" music, and you don't hear that term much now anydays.

I have been to record stores and found Ministry in both the pop, AND in the Metal sections, then some stores have an "industrial section", and EMF and Jesus Jones winds up in there. :rolleyes: Doom, Goth, Glitter, Industrial....Hard Core? Seriously who gives a ****?

As it is, nobody ever really knew what industrial music is, and somehow Trent Reznor and Nine Inch Nails got to whear it as a badge of honor, while the rest of the really cool bands either broke up, or faded out so much, that barely anyone knows about them anymore. I only found out last week that both Ministry AND Skinny Puppy had new albums out, and it was a terrible feeling that it took me THAT long to figure it out.

I remember it took me about 5 years to figure out WTF Ska music was. Then once I did, I STILL hated it. The same thing is happening to me now with EMO. Don't even mess with me on this "hard core" thing.

I think alot of really young ignorant people hide behind music in high school. Then there is always the arguments about who is true to the stlye they claim to play, and who is a commercial sellout. Keep in mind that MOST of rock in roll, is all recycled material. Trent Reznor did not do ANYTHING that Skinny Puppy, Ministry, and Killing Joke were not doing ten-20 years before him. Nirvana did not do anything that The Pixies couldn't do ten times better!!!! New Order recycled themselves out of the ashes of Joy Division, and Even Elvis ripped off of southern Rythm and Blues.

My advice, listen to whatever you like, don't worry about what people think.

Currently Playing: Frontline Assembly - "Millenium"

Mike Windu
09-11-2004, 01:55 PM
Emo is pretty clearly defined :xp:

"Life sucks life sucks life sucks my dog died I crashed into a tree on my bike I'm a rich [enter race here] kid and I don't get to drive my corvette today cause it's in the shop getting decked out"

Yeap, pretty clearly defined for me :)

Darth Groovy
09-11-2004, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by Mike Windu
Emo is pretty clearly defined :xp:

"Life sucks life sucks life sucks my dog died I crashed into a tree on my bike I'm a rich [enter race here] kid and I don't get to drive my corvette today cause it's in the shop getting decked out"

Yeap, pretty clearly defined for me :)

Replace Corvette with truck, and rich with trailer, and you have a country song.

:eek:

Currently playing: Controlled Bleeding - "In Penetration"

Pie™
09-11-2004, 02:17 PM
Don't take any offense Pie™, but seriously, if it is gloomy and doomy and gothic, aren't all of those pretty much the same feeling and sound? Doom, Gothic.....whateva. No offense taken ;)
In theory you would think so, but if you listen to Opeth, and then listen to Theatre Of Tragedy, you will hear that the feelings in them are different. While the acoustic guitars of Opeth spells out "doom" in every sense of the word, Theatre Of Tragedy's sopran Liv Kristine combines darkness with beauty, and it's more romantic ;)

"What IS industrial music?" When people ask me why I, the 'evil satanist', is listening to techno on my discman, I usually explain it like this; "It's not techno, it's industrial. While the techno-crap is oftenly purely computer created, industrial bands actually play instruments. Instead of the lyrics consisting of a horny girl saying "oh yeah, give it to me" several times, industrial music often have complex lyrics dealing with often dark issues. In other words; you could call it techno-rock." ;p

My advice, listen to whatever you like, don't worry about what people think. Now there's some good advice :p
Most other people in my school haven't heard of half of the bands I like, and consider the rest as either "boring crap"(tori amos, theatre of tragedy) or "dreadfull noise"(darkthrone, NIN), but guess what; I'm different and proud of it ;) :p

Now Playing: Bauhaus - The Sanity Assasin

[edit] Another thing I find hard to explain is the difference between black and death metal
The main difference would be how black metal often is about satan, and snow-filled kingdoms, while death metal often is more macabre...
Another difference is how most black metal bands wear corpse paint, while the death bands don't
Other than that, you'll have to listen to the music to hear the difference :/

Mike Windu
09-11-2004, 02:29 PM
The thing about Linkin Park is I never took them seriously in their lyrics. I just like the music cause it sounds good.

But I know thousands of hormonally enraged, depressed, PMS-ed girls listen to them every day and take it to heart.

These are the girls who listen to emo too.

Someone I know once said: "it's like music, if you like it, you like it. If you don't you don't. We not stupid critics who overanalyze every part of the song."

I would also like to add to that: Honestly, if you like it, listen to it. If you don't, move to another section of the store. Nothing too big ;)

Darth Groovy
09-11-2004, 02:36 PM
Well sir, I listen to everything that is not country.

Some CDs you MAY be "surprised" to find in my collection.

Madonna
Bob Dylan
Al Green
George Clinton
Boogie Down Productions
The Temptations
Pantera
Nat King Cole
Frank Sinatra
Wagner
Tchaikovsky
Ravel
BB King
Jars Of Clay
Björk
Dido
Alice Cooper
Lenny Kravitz
Hall & Oates
Peter Gabriel

I like different music for different reasons. ;)

Currently Playing: KMFDM -"Godlike"

KBell
09-11-2004, 02:38 PM

Currently Playing: KMFDM -"Godlike"

My older brother pratically worshipped KMFDM back in the day.

Darth Groovy
09-11-2004, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by KBell
My older brother pratically worshipped KMFDM back in the day.

Thing that always worked for KMFDM is that they NEVER took themselves or their music seriously.

Lyrics from "Sucks":

Sucks

We like talking dirty
We smoke and we drink
We're KMFDM and all other bands stink

Our music is sampled
Totally fake
It's done by machines
'Coz they don't make mistakes

We don't have no lyrics
Our message is nil
We hate all deejays
They're makin' us ill

Whatever we tell you
Is meant to be crap
We hate all music
And especially rap

We don't like Michael Jackson
We hate Depeche Mode
We don't care for Madonna
Or Kylie Minogue

KMFDM sucks!

Our records have stickers
With a warning from Tipper
Cause they're no good for kids
If we get her we'll strip her

KMFDM forward
The ultimate sound
And a message from satan
If you turn it around

You might think we're stupid
But we're way above it
We don't give a ****
And the kids just love it

We won't sell to a major
For a couple of bucks
No doubt about it
KMFDM sucks!

Currently Playing: KMFDM - "Sucks"

Pie™
09-11-2004, 02:51 PM
Lyrics from "Sucks": :eek:
That made me want to make a thread with the coolest lyrics ever <.<

Now Playing: Type O Negative - I Don't Wanna Be Me

Kain
09-11-2004, 03:27 PM
For the record that matters, no they do not.

Look everyone: KBell thinks I give a **** about what he thinks.

For the record that matters to me: They suck and you suck.

@Acrylic: Meh, The Beatles make me ill, The Cure make me feint, The Rolling Stones make me spew, and the only one I take back is The Jimi Hendrix Expirence, and thats only because Hendrix is god.

Pie™
09-11-2004, 03:31 PM
Look everyone: KBell thinks I give a **** about what he thinks.

For the record that matters to me: They suck and you suck. Holy crap Kain, I have some respect for you and all, but acting like that is just... childish? :rolleyes:

I don't think you give a **** about what I think, but if you don't give a **** about what people think, then why the hell are you posting on a discussion forum?
And what makes you think other people care what you think?

Just as you're entitled to your own opinion, so is he :rolleyes:

Now Playing: Satyricon - Walk The Path Of Sorrow

Rogue Nine
09-11-2004, 03:36 PM
Y'all sound like a bunch of morons. "OMG MY BAND IS BETTER THAN YOURS. YOURS ARE POSERS AND HAVE NO TALENT BLAH BLAH BLAH." Good Lord. Whatever happened to respecting people's opinions? Sheesh. Look, they like their music, you like yours. There is no reason, NO GODDAMN reason that you should go and say something like:

Do you know what that makes you sound like? A 5th grader. A child. An immature idiot. And if you don't stop acting like that, that's what you'll be seen as.

So here's my final word on this. Play nice, respect each other's opinions and if you wanna fight about it, take it elsewhere. Not here. And you know which record really matters? Mine.

Darth Groovy
09-11-2004, 03:44 PM
Y'all sound like a bunch of morons. "OMG MY BAND IS BETTER THAN YOURS. YOURS ARE POSERS AND HAVE NO TALENT BLAH BLAH BLAH." Good Lord. Whatever happened to respecting people's opinions? Sheesh. Look, they like their music, you like yours. There is no reason, NO GODDAMN reason that you should go and say something like:

Do you know what that makes you sound like? A 5th grader. A child. An immature idiot. And if you don't stop acting like that, that's what you'll be seen as.

So here's my final word on this. Play nice, respect each other's opinions and if you wanna fight about it, take it elsewhere. Not here. And you know which record really matters? Mine.

So um....

What are YOU listening too? :confused:

Currently Playing: Faith No More - "Ashes to Ashes"

acdcfanbill
09-11-2004, 03:46 PM
i consider myself fairly informed into the scene of metal. i listen to alot of it, from all over the place, ManOwaR to Cradle of Filth. but my question to anyone wanting to answer, is how Death Metal, and Melodic Death Metal can be so damn different, when their names suggest they are so close :D

plaing atm: Children of Bodom - Trashed, Lost and Strungout

edit: something else i just thought of seeing all the pentagrams around here was that Mantas has broken off from Venom, and formed Mantas 666 (http://www.mantas666.co.uk/) , there are a few clips on his website and they kick butt. :)

Acrylic
09-11-2004, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by acdcfanbill
but my question to anyone wanting to answer, is how Death Metal, and Melodic Death Metal can be so damn different, when their names suggest they are so close :D

I wonder that too.

Straight to Hell - The Clash

Rogue Nine
09-11-2004, 03:51 PM
Eh, I'll bite.

Mozart - Sonata in E Flat K.380

legameboy
09-11-2004, 04:17 PM
I don't mind country that much. Some songs I actually enjoy. 'Course, I live where that and oldies are the main things on the radio. :p

acdcfanbill
09-11-2004, 04:32 PM
its not like a riddle nine, i wanna know too :D

Kain
09-11-2004, 05:40 PM

Do you know how much I care about what you, or anyone else says? About as much as a 5th grader cares about finger painting. KBell was the one who said what I said didn't matter, so you and he can STFU. I don't give a damn that you're a mod, you need to quit being so one sided.

Hiroki
09-11-2004, 05:50 PM
That was a little harsh...you shouldn't attack the one on the defencive...

Also, you made him so angry that he double posted. Or maybe it was just LF having a lag burp, who knows.

Rogue Nine
09-11-2004, 05:51 PM
Simmer down there, tiger. I just told you to play nice. That means you play nice with everyone. And just so you know, I don't like being told to shut the **** up.

I'm not being one-sided. I am simply telling you to respect one another's taste in music. If you cannot do that, I will ban you for being insensitive and stuck up. Got it? Good.

Have a nice day. :)

KBell
09-11-2004, 05:54 PM
So..........anyone else listen to Sinatra?

Darth Groovy
09-11-2004, 05:58 PM
So..........anyone else listen to Sinatra?

I do, I do! *raises hand*

I have about 3 or 4 greatest hits cds burned to my hard drive.

My favorite song is "Witchcraft".

Currently playing: Frank Zappa - "Don't Eat That Yellow Snow"

Rogue Nine
09-11-2004, 05:59 PM
I love Nancy Sinatra. :D

Nancy Sinatra - Bang Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down)

Darth Groovy
09-11-2004, 06:27 PM
I love Nancy Sinatra. :D

Nancy Sinatra - Bang Bang (My Baby Shot Me Down)

How about "These Boots Are Made For Walking"?

And she did a fantastic job on her Bond song: "You Only Live Twice".

Which is definitely one of my favorite Bond songs.

Currently playing: Nancy Sinatra - "These Boots Are Made For Walking"

Mike Windu
09-11-2004, 06:39 PM
"These boots were made for walking"

That was on Austin Powers! Funny...erm...usage of the song though.

now Listening to: Switchfoot - This is Your Life

I forgot to answer your question too. I used to play snare drum in a school band, but I quit. I am trying to find time for piano and violin, and finish off the drumset.

*shrugs*

KBell
09-11-2004, 06:49 PM
I sometimes catch a Switchfoot song or two on my playlist.

I went to one of their concerts a few months back, and it was a blast.

acdcfanbill
09-11-2004, 06:53 PM
i like franks singing, nancy, meh. megadeth did a much better version of these boots (are made for walking).

listening to Norther at the moment.

Kain
09-11-2004, 07:21 PM
I dunno. Frank Sinatra is too...opera-ee(is that word?) for my tastes, though I do like classical music.

Was that politically correct for everyone? I don't wanna hurt anyone's feelings with my opinions...like whats already happened.

Astrotoy7
09-11-2004, 07:29 PM
Well sir, I listen to everything that is not country.

Some CDs you MAY be "surprised" to find in my collection.

...Boogie Down Productions
....Ravel

I like different music for different reasons. ;)

damn you ! its gonna be harder to hate you now ! I love BDP/KRS1 and always have loved Ravel, not just for Boldero either :p :D

yeah, and if the devil ever appeared to me and said,

"Astro, kill three people by midnight and I shall remove country music from the universe forever!"

I would grab the steak knife and run into the street pronto ! :p damn country music....soundtrack for the KKK...I hate the cowboy hats, I hate the boots, the mulletts the rednecks... ugh ! I hate it !!!!!

mtfbwya

Kain
09-11-2004, 08:00 PM
I just decided, since I'm tired of Mod and SuperMod PM's telling me how much of a jackass I am and since this is where it all started, I'm only gonna say this once:

KBell, don't ever ****ing quote me again. All you people who said I was being stupid, I never wanna see you get all pissy with me next time I say something about your opinions. And I don't give a damn about anyone's status here. Nobody wants to stand behind me when I get told my opinions don't matter, I'll start being the first to remind everyone of how much THEIR opinion matters.

Back on topic, all that hardcore stuff is just...I dunno, bleh. I like hard music, but the harder it gets, the more aggravating it gets - depending on the band. I dunno if that made and sense...

Slipknot is horrible. Any group with more than 5 people is obviously lacking individual talent and so they have to make up with overwhelming numbers.

I wonder if I have to put IMO so I don't piss anyone off again. You'd think in a thread about opinions the point would get across...apparently not.

BongoBob
09-11-2004, 08:21 PM
I must say this...

Quoted by the lead singer of Bowling for soup, and is going in my sig in a minute...

I have always said that if someone took a **** into a microphone, someone out there is would call it genius.

So stop the flaming, and get on with the letting the people know what music you listen to/play.

Yes, I admit, meteora does suck. It's too poppish. Hybrid Theory was true rock blended with rap. That's the reason Meteora is sitting in my closet collecting dust and my Hybrid Theory disk is right next to my xbox, along with all of my other cds.

Listening to: Bowling For Soup:1985

Mike Windu
09-11-2004, 08:28 PM
I agree. Hybrid Theory > Meteora in so many ways.

Jed
09-11-2004, 08:38 PM
I just decided, since I'm tired of Mod and SuperMod PM's telling me how much of a jackass I am and since this is where it all started, I'm only gonna say this once:

KBell, don't ever ****ing quote me again. All you people who said I was being stupid, I never wanna see you get all pissy with me next time I say something about your opinions. And I don't give a damn about anyone's status here. Nobody wants to stand behind me when I get told my opinions don't matter, I'll start being the first to remind everyone of how much THEIR opinion matters.

Back on topic, all that hardcore stuff is just...I dunno, bleh. I like hard music, but the harder it gets, the more aggravating it gets - depending on the band. I dunno if that made and sense...

Slipknot is horrible. Any group with more than 5 people is obviously lacking individual talent and so they have to make up with overwhelming numbers.

I wonder if I have to put IMO so I don't piss anyone off again. You'd think in a thread about opinions the point would get across...apparently not.

Listen bub, I dunno what crawled up your colon and projectile pissed in your wheaties.

However, you can't talk to users like that.

Cool off for the next...say, 3 days. That's an opinion you'll have to give a rat's ass about.

And for music, I'm listening to Matchbox 20 - All I Need. :emodanc:

KBell
09-11-2004, 08:46 PM
Yeah, so I'm listening to some Sevendust and Seether right now.....good stuff

Tyrion
09-11-2004, 08:52 PM
I was going to say something nice about Nirvana, however this thread makes me feel like my opinion is dumb and invalid.

:indif:

SeleneRayne
09-11-2004, 09:22 PM
we're listenin to korn - bottled up inside
he said its his calm music

ET Warrior
09-11-2004, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by Tyrion
this thread makes me feel like my opinion is dumb and invalid.

It took you until this thread to finally realize this? :D

I like a lot of music I guess...Old 60's and 70's musics is pretty sweet, and I like a decent amount of new stuff as well. I dunno...

System of a Down - Chop Suey

Astrotoy7
09-11-2004, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by ET Warrior
...I like a lot of music I guess...Old 60's and 70's musics is pretty sweet, which explains why I am into acid trips too...

:D umm.... yeah :)

j/k

seriously, groovyy mentioned this above and its damn true : When you are younger, what music you are into can often affect they way you are perceived, or the specific type of kids you hang around with....

sure, when you are older and working you can gel with ppl who like the same bands/hobbies etc you do, but as part of day to day work etc, you have to get on with it and ignore these distinctions. My supervisor is into jazz, a colleague is into gospel music, im not a huge fan of wither but we all get along and work together well.......This prolly happened less so when in school....

Like groovy said, as you get older you dont care about lookin cool or not, you just listen to music 'coz you do... so if there is a poppy song that catches my ear, what they hey, doesnt mean I'll hate it just because it charted (beyonce's video's help too :D)

Tyrion, Kain I enjoy reading everyone's opinions, Im sure many others do too. In fact it's what I come here for, just to see what other are thinking about topics Im interested in :D whether anyone agrees or not is irrelevant, as long as you get to express it(and do so in a respectful manner) is the only thing that matters...IMO anyways :D

mtfbwya

currently listening to girlfriend nagging me to cook pasta tonite :(

GothiX
09-12-2004, 02:31 AM
Blagh..

Opeth - Windowpane

Acrylic
09-12-2004, 07:33 AM
So much dysfunction in this thread. Sad. Not like the old days at all, nope nope.

House of the Rising Sun - The Animals

Pie™
09-12-2004, 07:41 AM
yeah, let's keep it at one ban ;)

Therion - Blood Of Kings

ZBomber
09-12-2004, 07:59 AM
Like groovy said, as you get older you dont care about lookin cool or not, you just listen to music 'coz you do... so if there is a poppy song that catches my ear, what they hey, doesnt mean I'll hate it just because it charted (beyonce's video's help too )

Bah, I don't need to worry about that because Aerosmith IS cool. :p

Aerosmith - Angel

Also, maybe someone should sticky this? :) We always get music threads, and it might be better to have one. ;)

GothiX
09-12-2004, 09:26 AM
No stickiness, the fun of these threads is that they randomly pop up at times :)

Frikon Twice - Bob de Bouwer

(Dutch "Bob The Builder" theme made into a kickass metal song.. heard it live yesterday, ultra-pwn! :D)

BongoBob
09-12-2004, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by ET Warrior
System of a Down - Chop Suey

I know you don't care, but you just went up about 4 notches on my list just because of that :D

Coheed In Cambria - A Favor House Atlantic

Darth Groovy
09-12-2004, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by ZBomber
Bah, I don't need to worry about that because Aerosmith IS cool. :p

Aerosmith - Angel

Also, maybe someone should sticky this? :) We always get music threads, and it might be better to have one. ;)

I'm not going to sticky the thread because music threads come and go. Yet there will always be one on the board.

I like Aerosmith too. I am most fond of the stuff from "Permanent Vacation" and "Pump" because that is when I got into them. They remain a true rock band in my personal opinion, hope they don't break up.

Favorite Aerosmith Songs:

Dream On
Walk This Way
Sweet Emotion
Angel
What It Takes
Crazy
Love In An Elivator
Dude Looks Like a Lady
Jainie's Got a Gun
Cryin'
Crazy
Amazing
I Don't Want To Miss A Thing

ET Warrior
09-12-2004, 09:39 PM
I know you don't care, but you just went up about 4 notches on my list just because of that :D

So I went from being first to being like...super first?

:xp:

Rancid - Ruby Soho

Astrotoy7
09-13-2004, 01:13 AM

alot of people around here seem to keep lists.... :( my grandma used to keep lists to remember where she kept her pills, teeth etc

mtfbwya

Kain
09-13-2004, 02:14 PM
I have a 113 name long list on my media player now, so its too long to list, but I can give everyone the band names(in alphabetical order no less).

Adema
Bush
Cold
Disturbed
Evanescense(I hate em, but I like this one song)
Godsmack
Green Day
Hoobastank
Ill Nino
Kittie
KoRn
Linkin Park
Metallica
Nine Inch Nails
Nirvana
Ozzy Osbourne
Powerman 5000
Rob Zombie
Sevendust
Smashing Pumpkins
Sponge
Staind
Sum 41
System of a Down
The Ataris(I hate em, but I like this one song)
Offspring

And I stand by what I said before(about who I hate and who sucks)

Batman was in Buckingham palace...thats...odd...

KBell
09-13-2004, 02:18 PM
Disturbed has got the be one of the first bands I fell in love with.

Ah, the days of listening to one song 4 times over the radio.

SeleneRayne
09-13-2004, 05:56 PM
The bands I like:

KoRn, Adema, Ill Nino, Metallica, Linkin Park, Nine-Inch-Nails, Smashing Pumpkins, Taproot, Sevendust, Staind, Disturbed, System of a Down, Static-X, Garbage, Nirvana, Kitty, White Zombie, Rob Zombie, Green Day, Offspring, Godsmack, Pantera, Hoobastank, Powerman 5000, Cold, Bush, Ozzy, Black Sabbath, Queen, The Doors, Jimmy Hendrix, Bob Seger, The Eagles, The RollingStones, Aerosmith, Iron Maiden

Thats all I can think of.

Listening to: Nine-Inch-Nails "The Perfect Drug"

GothiX
09-13-2004, 11:59 PM
Wait, Kain, you say you hate overrated bands, yet listen to Linkin Park? :confused:

Immortal - Damned In Black

Kain
09-14-2004, 09:39 AM
Wait, Kain, you say you hate overrated bands, yet listen to Linkin Park? :confused:

Immortal - Damned In Black

*looks around a few times*

Wha-?

I never said I hated over-rated bands. Well, not directly anyways. Besides, I liked Linkin Park before One Step Closer ever came out, so ha on you.

KoRn - Ya'll Want a Single

GothiX
09-14-2004, 09:57 AM
So liking a band before they release a single, doesn't make them overrated crap? Just to get things straight here.

Opeth - Weakness

ZBomber
09-14-2004, 10:00 AM

I like Aerosmith too. I am most fond of the stuff from "Permanent Vacation" and "Pump" because that is when I got into them. They remain a true rock band in my personal opinion, hope they don't break up.

They already broke up once in 1980, but then they realised that they can work together, so i don't think we need to worry about that (I hope :))

I actually picked up Pump and Permanent Vacation when I went to Toronro in August. Pretty good CD's! My favorite Aerosmith CD (Not including greatest hits albums ) would have to be either Toys in the Attic (http://aerosmithlyrics.homestead.com/ToysInTheAttic.html) or Live: Bootleg * (http://aerosmithlyrics.homestead.com/LiveBootleg.html)

* Caution! Contains some lyrics not approaite for children. :D Also, it's not really a bootleg, simply the name of the album. If you like Aerosmith non-live, wait until you hear them live, whether in concert or one of their many live CD's :)

Kain
09-14-2004, 10:09 AM
So liking a band before they release a single, doesn't make them overrated crap? Just to get things straight here.

Opeth - Weakness

I don't think they're overrated. Wanna know what I think is crap? Well...nvm. I just think its funny that I never called your musical preferences crap and yet you seem to have sank to that level...wow:rolleyes:

GothiX
09-14-2004, 10:40 AM
I never said your taste in music was crappy, I just said I think LP is overrated crap.
Cradle of Filth - Dusk and her Embrace

Kain
09-14-2004, 12:11 PM
Well, I think Cradle of Flith is crap but I'm not putting it out there 3 posts in a row.

Leave me to my tastes and I'll leave you to yours.

GothiX
09-14-2004, 12:18 PM
I only stated my opinion, I never said you shouldn't listen to them or anything, I just thought it was a bit ironic to incline you dislike overrated bands, yet you listen to Linkin Park. Sheesh.

Dimmu Borgir - Vredesbyrd

KBell
09-14-2004, 12:27 PM
Here we go again :rolleyes:

Shinedown- Simple Man
Seether- Broken (Without the Amy Lee crap)

Kain
09-14-2004, 06:20 PM
Here we go again :rolleyes:

No we're not doing this again for 2 reasons:
1: He never said my opinion didn't matter
2: Read reason 1.

Besides, how I decide music goes like this: I like what I like, I dislike what I dislike, and I hate what I hate.

Mike Windu
09-14-2004, 06:30 PM
I have a solution: let's ignore each other's posts, and hold our fingers when we want to say something spiteful. It even saves typing time! :xp:

Artists I like:
Blink 182
Franz Ferdinand
Outkast
D12(iffy)
Switchfoot
Kanye West
The Ataris(same song Kain likes)
The Killers
Led Zeppelin
Aerosmith
Yellowcard
Billy Talent
Usher
Twista
50 Cent
G-Unit >.>
Linkin Park(lot less now)
Guns N Roses
Velvet Revolver( 1 song)

Now listening to: 50 cent - Many Men(wish death)
and Outkast - Church

KBell
09-14-2004, 06:58 PM
My new favorite band is now Cake.

Acrylic
09-14-2004, 07:38 PM
Wow, a big day today...

...anyways:

Touch Me - The Doors.

RIP: J.M.

Kain
09-14-2004, 07:42 PM
Touch Me - The Doors.

RIP: J.M.

Werd

KoRn - Another Brick in the Wall

Darth Groovy
09-14-2004, 11:27 PM
No we're not doing this again for 2 reasons:
1: He never said my opinion didn't matter
2: Read reason 1.

Besides, how I decide music goes like this: I like what I like, I dislike what I dislike, and I hate what I hate.

Good you posted that. (adds brownie points to Kain's status) Now that you posted that, the thread is back on track. I am SO proud of you! ;)

Right now I am listening to Ministry's version of Black Sabbath's "Supernaught". ;)

CapNColostomy
09-14-2004, 11:39 PM

Right now I am listening to Ministry's version of Black Sabbath's "Supernaught". ;)

I thought that was 1000 Homo DJ's?

GothiX
09-14-2004, 11:47 PM
Wither Soul - Forever I Will Burn

Rogue Nine
09-15-2004, 12:15 AM
Bach - Violin Partita 1 in B Minor

SeleneRayne
09-15-2004, 01:04 PM
Smashing Pumpkins- Zero

Pad
09-15-2004, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by SeleneRayne
Smashing Pumpkins- Zero
Excellen choice, great band. Too bad they split up.

Smashing Pumpkins - Bullet with Butterfly Wings

SeleneRayne
09-15-2004, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Pad
Excellen choice, great band. Too bad they split up.

Smashing Pumpkins - Bullet with Butterfly Wings

Yeah they rocked. I miss 'em. And that song is awesome too. :)

Rogue Nine
09-15-2004, 01:32 PM
Yeah, too bad Billy Corgan's new bad Zwan didn't pan out too well either. Maybe he'll get the Pumpkins together again...that would be awesome.

Smashing Pumpkins - Stand Inside Your Love

Pie™
09-15-2004, 01:41 PM
http://www.peaceville.com/discog/covers/darkt_transiv_340.jpg

Bought this today...

As the cover states - True Norwegian Black Metal

I love this cd :D

SeleneRayne
09-15-2004, 01:52 PM
Yeah, too bad Billy Corgan's new bad Zwan didn't pan out too well either. Maybe he'll get the Pumpkins together again...that would be awesome.

I'd be the happiest person, ever, if they did. :D

Pie, that cover looks awesome. I haven't heard of that group though.

El Sitherino
09-15-2004, 01:53 PM
My new favorite band is now Cake. wow, very 94. man, i used to listen to cake a lot XD

Pie™
09-15-2004, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by SeleneRayne
Pie, that cover looks awesome. I haven't heard of that group though. It's Darkthrone

Black metal at it's purest and rawest <3

The guy is Fenriz, the drummer, who was involved in the church burnings...

(No, i don't support burning of churches)

[edit] now i just put on this album, which I also bought today (it was a sale!) :D

http://www.rockdetector.com/assets/resized/img/covers/15096-0-300-0-300.jpg

Carpathian Forest - Strange Old Brew

BongoBob
09-15-2004, 03:39 PM
http://www.bowlingforsoup.com/images/albumFRONT.gif

Just bought this today, and it's quite possibly the best cd I have right now :D

Listening to Bowling for Soup: Two Seater

best song so far is next ex girlfriend :D

<<:Shame:>>
09-15-2004, 03:45 PM
My favorite song is We're All to Blame..
then
coheed
hands down
and today
Most of your songs/artists are played at my website for free ;)
I dont want to advertise because I know its a no no but I think you guys will like this site.
StarNovaRadio (http://www.starnovaradio.com)

KBell
09-15-2004, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by InsaneSith
wow, very 94. man, i used to listen to cake a lot XD

They have a new CD coming out this October called Pressure Chief.

ZBomber
09-15-2004, 04:50 PM
Got:

Aerosmith - Nine Lives
Aerosmith - Draw the Line
Aerosmith - Night in the Ruts
Aerosmith - Rock in a Hard Place

Listening to:
Aerosmith - Three Mile Smile

Also, I got this HUGE hand-drawn pictur eof Steven Tyler. i'll try to get pics, it rocks! :D

Darth Groovy
09-15-2004, 04:57 PM
I thought that was 1000 Homo DJ's?

Hmmm....

With 1000 Homo DJs; Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails , did the main vocals. After a some stupid thing with Trent's contract, the vocals had to be removed for some strange reason. If you managed to snag a copy of 1,000 Homo Dj's ONLY release, your a lucky person! Ministry re-recorded the song with Al doing the vocals, and they played it on countless tours between 1992 and present.(I know this because I been following this band relentlessly since 1989.) In 2001, they finally released the song (with Al's vocals) on Ministry's Greatest Fits album. I have to say, I was not a huge fan of this particular song at first, but it the repitious hook grew on me over the years, and now I love it.

I think the entire reason they broke up in the first place is the fact that Billy Corgan is such a egotistical head case. It did not take the pumkins long to go from local Chicago, band to mega rock stars. I would know, because I saw Smashing Pumpkins after "Gish", when they were the "opening act" for Jane's Addiction. This was 1991, at the Aragon Ballroom. I saw them later in 1993, and didn't think they were all that great. They DID have some good songs, and I have alot of the CDs they did. They did the best cover of "Landslide" I EVER heard.

Black metal at it's purest and rawest <3

Pie™, your going to have to "educate" me on these different classed of metal, because I am just getting too old. When I first discovered "metal" the big bands were Anthrax, Guns N' Roses, Iron Maiden, and Metallica. Soon after came "Thrash" Metal which was Suicidal Tendencies, Antisocial, and M.O.D., and Overkill. Then there was "Death Metal" which was Godflesh, Sepultura, Napalm Death, and Cannibal Corpse. I am AWARE, but not familiar with the so called "Goth Metal" wich consists of bands like "Cradle of Filth" (?) and perhaps Type O' Negative. When I first started paying attention to your avatars and sigs, "King Diamond" came to mind, but it was never my thing. I was never a HUGE metalhead, but I had a few favorite bands. Namely Suicidal Tendencies, Napalm Death, Sepultura, Godflesh, Faith No More (though arguably not considered metal), and Pantera. Then there was the "cheese metal" which consisted of the "pretty boy bands" such as Poison, Slaughter, Firehouse, Bon Jovi, Whitesnake, Great White, Def Leppard, Extreme, and Skid Row. I fell out of reach with all of "metal" when bands like Slipknot, and Mudvayne started charting "hits".

Maybe you can bring me up to speed.

ZBomber
09-15-2004, 05:06 PM
Guns N' Roses

Oooh, bought a GNR shirt today. ;) It's the Use Your Illusion Album, pretty cool. :)

Darth Groovy
09-15-2004, 05:58 PM
Oooh, bought a GNR shirt today. ;) It's the Use Your Illusion Album, pretty cool. :)

I hope for YOUR sake you don't wear it out in public. That would be like me wearing an EMF shirt (yes I saw them live, sue me...) again.

ZBomber
09-15-2004, 06:10 PM
I hope for YOUR sake you don't wear it out in public. That would be like me wearing an EMF shirt (yes I saw them live, sue me...) again.

Why? I love GNR. :p

Aerosmith > AC/DC > GNR > Led Zeppelin etc.... :D

Besides, around here I doubt anyone knows anythign about GNR or Axl Rose's..... let's say, idiocy. ;)

Ratmjedi
09-15-2004, 06:58 PM
Well my music taste has really been these bands for about the whole past year.

In Alphabetical Order:

A Static Lullaby, AFI, Atreyu, Calico System, Eighteen Visions, Evergreen Terrace, First Blood, Funeral for a Friend, Glasseater, Hawthorne Heights, Hoobastank, Ill Nino, Killswitch Engage, Lost Prophets, Metallica, Norma Jean, Senses Fail, Silverstein, Slipknot, Story of the Year, Sublime, Taking Back Sunday, Taproot, The Beautiful Mistake, Terror, Underoath, Unearth, and Yellowcard.

And I'm currently listening to Unearth "Bloodlust of the Human Condition"

Most of the music on my list is pretty much Hardcore, Emo and Screamo.

:duel: :lsduel:

<<:Shame:>>
09-15-2004, 08:10 PM
Favorite Song List (http://www.starnovaradio.com/snr/chart.php?order=10&chart_days=7&pagebreak=100&pagenum=1)

CapNColostomy
09-15-2004, 08:22 PM
Hmmm....

With 1000 Homo DJs; Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails , did the main vocals. After a some stupid thing with Trent's contract, the vocals had to be removed for some strange reason. If you managed to snag a copy of 1,000 Homo Dj's ONLY release, your a lucky person! Ministry re-recorded the song with Al doing the vocals, and they played it on countless tours between 1992 and present.(I know this because I been following this band relentlessly since 1989.) In 2001, they finally released the song (with Al's vocals) on Ministry's Greatest Fits album. I have to say, I was not a huge fan of this particular song at first, but it the repitious hook grew on me over the years, and now I love it.

Color me lucky then. It shouldn't be too hard to find though. I got mine on a Black Sabbath tribute album in the early-mid 90's. [edit] But I forgot to mention that it's probably the same version on greatest fits, since the only one w/ T. Reznor released was on a Waxtrax box set. Still claims to be 1,000 Homo DJ's though.

Besides, around here I doubt anyone knows anythign about GNR or Axl Rose's..... let's say, idiocy. ;)

Pfft...Someone has forgotten how many 28 year olds come in here. I know all about that idiocy stuff.

Darth Groovy
09-16-2004, 01:54 AM
Color me lucky then. It shouldn't be too hard to find though. I got mine on a Black Sabbath tribute album in the early-mid 90's. [edit] But I forgot to mention that it's probably the same version on greatest fits, since the only one w/ T. Reznor released was on a Waxtrax box set. Still claims to be 1,000 Homo DJ's though.

Pfft...Someone has forgotten how many 28 year olds come in here. I know all about that idiocy stuff.

I have the "The Black Box" (wax trax collection). Such a fine set of songs in such a small package. I also have alot of OLD wax trax CDs before they merged with TVT.

Darth Rythe
09-16-2004, 03:42 AM
Originally posted by <<:Shame:>>

I dont want to advertise because I know its a no no but I think you guys will like this site.

No....I don't want to put you off your case but, it is still advertising, if you want to tell people about it post it here (http://forums.evula.com/index.php) somewhere, cause people at LF don't want to know.

You gotta love "Somebody told me" by The Killers:xp:

GothiX
09-16-2004, 06:43 AM
Cradle of Filth most definitely isn't goth metal. Goth metal is metal influenced by celtic, classical and opera, often with a soprano vocalist. Listen to bands like Nightwish, After Forever, Lacuna Coil and Within Temptation to get the impression of what it is. :)

Pie™
09-16-2004, 08:06 AM
Pie™, your going to have to "educate" me on these different classed of metal, because I am just getting too old. When I first discovered "metal" the big bands were Anthrax, Guns N' Roses, Iron Maiden, and Metallica. Soon after came "Thrash" Metal which was Suicidal Tendencies, Antisocial, and M.O.D., and Overkill. Then there was "Death Metal" which was Godflesh, Sepultura, Napalm Death, and Cannibal Corpse. I am AWARE, but not familiar with the so called "Goth Metal" wich consists of bands like "Cradle of Filth" (?) and perhaps Type O' Negative. When I first started paying attention to your avatars and sigs, "King Diamond" came to mind, but it was never my thing. I was never a HUGE metalhead, but I had a few favorite bands. Namely Suicidal Tendencies, Napalm Death, Sepultura, Godflesh, Faith No More (though arguably not considered metal), and Pantera. Then there was the "cheese metal" which consisted of the "pretty boy bands" such as Poison, Slaughter, Firehouse, Bon Jovi, Whitesnake, Great White, Def Leppard, Extreme, and Skid Row. I fell out of reach with all of "metal" when bands like Slipknot, and Mudvayne started charting "hits".

Maybe you can bring me up to speed. Uh, well...
Black metal was "invented" in the late 80s, when the Norwegian band Mayhem, headed by Euronymous, refined their sound to something colder and rawer than their prevoius death metal efforts.
Other bands followed, like Darkthrone, Dimmu Borgir, Emperor, and Carpathian Forest.
The "black metal scene" formed around 1993, and got a pretty bad reputation when some band members, including Fenriz from Darkthrone and the infamous Varg Vikernes started burining down old Norwegian chruches. To this day only a few are left standing.
Another tragedy that shocked the scene was when Vikernes (then in Mayhem) murdered Eruronymous over a record deal. Vikernes has since been to jail several times, and is currently writing the songs for his band Burzum while in jail.
Later, never bands has taken the head, like Immortal and Cradle Of Filth
Other old-school bands have taken a more commercial route, giving out singles and heading charts. These include Dimmu Borgir and Satyricon.

Um, i hope that clarified it at least a little for you... :/

Cradle of Filth most definitely isn't goth metal. Goth metal is metal influenced by celtic, classical and opera, often with a soprano vocalist. Listen to bands like Nightwish, After Forever, Lacuna Coil and Within Temptation to get the impression of what it is. And don't forget to mention that the Goth genre isn't like goth metal at all ;)

Goth is more like a breed between punk, indie, and rock :)

[edit] and the guys in my sig (l to r) is HellCommander Nattefrost (Carpathian Forest), Fenriz (Darkthrone), and Dani Filth (Cradle Of Filth) :)

Now playing;
http://www.nrk.no/img/337898.jpeg

Acrylic
09-16-2004, 02:55 PM
Aerosmith > AC/DC > GNR > Led Zeppelin etc.... :D

IMO:

Led Zeppelin> AC/DC> GNR> Aerosmith etc....

Darth Groovy
09-18-2004, 09:06 PM
I am reminded of something that was typed on the outter sleeve of Type O' Negative's "Bloody Kisses" album.

"Don't mistake lack of talent for genius."

This thread comes to mind. ;)

Now playing:

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B000294SFC.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Pie™
09-19-2004, 12:59 PM
I am reminded of something that was typed on the outter sleeve of Type O' Negative's "Bloody Kisses" album.

"Don't mistake lack of talent for genius."

This thread comes to mind. ;) Yeah, I smiled when I saw that :)

"Functionless art is simply tolerated vandalism. We are the vandals" (from October Rust) :D

Kain
09-19-2004, 03:09 PM
Marilyn Manson - The Beautiful People

Mike Windu
09-19-2004, 03:34 PM
Switchfoot - Redemption

ZBomber
09-19-2004, 03:38 PM
The Beautiful People

There's a song about me?

:D

Aerosmith - Falling in lOve is hard on the knees

Acrylic
09-19-2004, 07:19 PM
Scar Tissue - RHCP

ET Warrior
09-19-2004, 07:56 PM
Catch 22 - Point the Blame.

Oi, I haven't listend to Catch 22 in FOREVER :eek: I LOVE their old stuff :D

Mike Windu
09-19-2004, 08:08 PM
Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven

Recently gotten into Led Zeppelin :xp:

CapNColostomy
09-20-2004, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by Mike Windu
Led Zeppelin - Stairway to Heaven

Recently gotten into Led Zeppelin :xp:

Sorry to hear about your loss...

Soilent Green-Cat With Nine Claws

Six Feet Under-Manipulation

Rogue Nine
09-20-2004, 05:12 AM
Stevie Wonder - Superstition

Pie™
09-20-2004, 06:11 AM
Opeth - The Drapery Falls

acdcfanbill
09-20-2004, 06:15 AM
I dont mean to nitpick, but black metal was invented by Venom ;) it was only refined in scandinavia :D

Norther - Death Unlimited

Pie™
09-20-2004, 06:32 AM
I dont mean to nitpick, but black metal was invented by Venom ;) it was only refined in scandinavia :D

Norther - Death Unlimited I guess that's a matter of opinion, some say Bathory invented it... :p

Therion - Ljusalfheim
Bauhaus - Spy In The Cab
Nightwish - Sleeping Sun

CapNColostomy
09-20-2004, 01:55 PM

Norther - Death Unlimited

What he said.

Weren't Venom also the first to even use the term "black metal"? Anyway, I'm not too into the black metal thing. Unless we're talking the bastardized American incarnation of black metal, Goatwhore. I love those guys.

Kain
09-20-2004, 02:02 PM
Theme from Angel

BongoBob
09-20-2004, 08:03 PM
The Mars Volta - Inertiatic Esp.

acdcfanbill
09-21-2004, 12:20 AM
well, Venom (http://www.metalstorm.ee/bands/view_band.php?band_id=venom) vs Bathory (http://www.metalstorm.ee/bands/view_band.php?band_id=venom) by pure dates Venom did start first, but if you are refearing to the black style vocals that bathory made so popular, then well, yes, they (or he ;)) started those. :D

listening/watching Lordi - Blood Red Sandman (these guys are hilarious, its like, european G.W.A.R.)

Kain
09-21-2004, 12:22 AM
Staind - Yesterday

Pie™
09-21-2004, 06:29 AM
well, Venom (http://www.metalstorm.ee/bands/view_band.php?band_id=venom) vs Bathory (http://www.metalstorm.ee/bands/view_band.php?band_id=venom) by pure dates Venom did start first, but if you are refearing to the black style vocals that bathory made so popular, then well, yes, they (or he ;)) started those. :D That was what I meant yeah

RIP Quorthon.. :(

Now Playing; Type O Negative - Red Water (Christmas Mourning)

El Sitherino
09-21-2004, 08:28 AM
Dj Doboy - The Vocal Edition Volume 04

Pie™
09-21-2004, 08:42 AM
Cradle Of Filth - Nymphetamine Overdose

Delicate song, can't wait for the new album! :D

Ooh, it changed to
Emperor - I Am The Black Wizards

<3 :cool:

GothiX
09-21-2004, 09:12 AM