PDA

View Full Version : Fable

ET Warrior
09-15-2004, 03:03 PM
It's out, and it ROCKS fellow swampies. This game is fantastic and fun. If it weren't for class and homework I don't think I'd be doing anything else today. It's a TON of fun, and a very entertaining action/rpg. It suffers from framerate issues sometimes, and the combat targetting system occasionally does things that don't make sense, but overall it's AWESOME. :D

ckcsaber
09-15-2004, 03:10 PM
I'll be checking it out sooner or later, but I'm having something like a "fable-hype hangover". All that crap Peter M. said would be in it is now gone, and all that's left seems a bit normal aside from the "hero recognition" system they have. And I've also heard that it's really short.

I will definitely try it out. I'm just not sure if it's a "buy" or a "rent".

Anthony
09-15-2004, 04:30 PM
I'm getting it after I get the Sims 2 (You be quiet. :P)

legameboy
09-15-2004, 05:32 PM
I bet Fable is an excellent game, but crushed by it's outrageous hype. =\

It's sad when stuff like that happens.

Me, I'm waiting for a PC port (which may never happen, so I'll just wait for the Elder Scrolls IV!).

Neverhoodian
09-15-2004, 07:11 PM
Well, I must be one of those folks that live under a rock or something, as I only heard about Fable a week ago or so. It's been getting good reviews from game sites (and my fellow swampies!:D ), so maybe I'll check it out sometime.

the_raven_03
09-15-2004, 07:20 PM
This game is in fact AMAZING!!! My XBOX was on for about 7 hours tonight ith straight Fable playing. It is insanely addicting.

And it is definately NOT crushed by its hype.

ET Warrior
09-15-2004, 07:35 PM
I agree that it does not live up to it's hype, and it's not quite the game that I fully expected. However, it's still a fantastic game, and really a ton of fun to play. I'd say it's a buy, but that's up to you.

jokemaster
09-15-2004, 07:48 PM
The problem is that they ran out of time and they couldn't fine-tune all the things they promised, but I keep hearing it's excellent nonetheless.

Kain
09-15-2004, 08:59 PM
I've beaten 9 villagers to death with a trophy:D

Rogue15
09-16-2004, 03:10 AM
it's great, even tho they left out some cool features, it's still much better than i expected. the graphics and music are out****ingstanding.

Mex
09-16-2004, 04:45 AM
I have to wait another month, because I'm in Britain. I really really want to murder those Microsoft bastards. The game was made in the UK and you U.S people get it first, it's ****ing stupid.

Sorry for the language, I've been waiting for this game for years, and then Micro go and make stupid ****ing mistakes like that.

toms
09-16-2004, 05:37 AM
Originally posted by jokemaster
The problem is that they ran out of time and they couldn't fine-tune all the things they promised, but I keep hearing it's excellent nonetheless.

the problem is that PM made the mistake of mentioning ANY cool ideas he had when he was interviewed, and people assumed everythign he mentioned would be in the game... a lot of it was just random thoughts, and was discarded before they even tried developing it. He says he is gonna be more careful about what he says next time ;-)

It looks ok, but since there is no real branching of the plot it seems like a more limited version of morrowind... with nice character creation options. :D

ET Warrior
09-16-2004, 08:26 AM
I think that's just something we're going to have to accept from Molyneux. He did it with Black and White, and he did it with Fable. His problem is his vision is much more complex than the abilities of the hardware running the code, which I suppose is often the case, but he also has a nasty habbit of running his mouth ;)

Doomie
09-16-2004, 09:54 AM
I honestly had NO idea what this was all about (and i didn't dare ask, for you would surely call me newbies or the like) but i saw something about it on tv, and i must say it looks pretty cool. Too bad i don't have an Xbox.

It was fun to see the main character use fireballs and lightning on peacefull villagers. It's exactly what i'd do.

Mex
09-16-2004, 09:57 AM
Can you [LUCKY] people in the US tell me how good this is? And what it's like being an archer? :)

swphreak
09-16-2004, 10:53 AM
I'm getting it in 3 days.

Intitate countdown sequence!

Hiroki
09-16-2004, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by Doomgiver
I honestly had NO idea what this was all about (and i didn't dare ask, for you would surely call me newbies or the like)

Not once recently have I ever seen a Swampie start screaming newbie at somebody just for not knowing about a game.

And I bought Fable the day it came out. It IS Awesome. I have already decked my hero out in full plate armor, pulled the legendary sword from the stone, maxed out all of my strength, and have a legendary status. Extreamly addictive. ;)

Mex
09-16-2004, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Hiroki
Not once recently have I ever seen a Swampie start screaming newbie at somebody just for not knowing about a game.

And I bought Fable the day it came out. It IS Awesome. I have already decked my hero out in full plate armor, pulled the legendary sword from the stone, maxed out all of my strength, and have a legendary status. Extreamly addictive. ;)

Tell me more, or I will have to get a flight booked to the US, come round your house and play it.

ET Warrior
09-16-2004, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by Pal™
Can you [LUCKY] people in the US tell me how good this is? And what it's like being an archer? :)

My friend is playing as an archer, and he's a tough dude. He just uses force push and knocks the baddies away and then lights them up with arrows. DEADIFIED!

:D

the_raven_03
09-16-2004, 04:11 PM
It is true. I am a very bad dude with the Bow and Arrows.

Tyrion
09-16-2004, 07:12 PM
Eh, Fable looks good, but it's only on the x-box so I'll wait till the pc version comes out.

In relation to Fable...

My friend got Fable yesterday, however he did not come to school today. I have the distinct suspicion that he had Fableidis, considering he showed symptoms of it to my friend last night: 30 minutes of non-stop Fable talk.

Methinks Fable is a plague upon every geek of the world...

:p

Hiroki
09-16-2004, 11:36 PM
Well Pal, you can do tons of stuff in it. The combat is real time, and a lot more action packed than Morrowind, as you have rolls, precise sword fighting, bowmanship, and spell casting, it plays more like a action/adventure game combat wise.

You gain experience for defeting your enemies. They drop small green orbs, which you collect apon there death. As you fight you rack up combat multipiers, which causes each orb to give you even more XP.

You watch your character grow and age over time. You start out as a six year old kid, and age to a battle hardened 65 year old warrior/ranger/mage or a combination of the named. As you increase your strength stats, you will watch your character grow, and develop muscels.

Fighting in it is a load of fun. But even more fun are the things you can do in the world, people will react to you differently depending on how you play the game. You can become a famous hero, who people will flock to, and clap for, and even bow to. Or an infamous and savage killer, who sends villager dashing to there homes apon your entrance.

You can get married, have kids, raise your own special family. There are so many things you can do. :D

obi
09-17-2004, 02:32 AM
I'm currently waving bye to my money, because I'm getting Fable, Battlefront, and the star wars dvd set.

*sigh*

It'll be worth it though ;)

Mex
09-17-2004, 09:50 AM
Can't wait, only gotta wait till next month to get fable! :D

LightNinja
09-18-2004, 06:26 AM
Originally posted by ET Warrior
It's out, and it ROCKS fellow swampies. This game is fantastic and fun. If it weren't for class and homework I don't think I'd be doing anything else today. It's a TON of fun, and a very entertaining action/rpg. It suffers from framerate issues sometimes, and the combat targetting system occasionally does things that don't make sense, but overall it's AWESOME. :D
has it got online game?
sorry i didnt read all the thread :p

Doomie
09-18-2004, 08:04 AM
Is there any confirmation that it will be ported over to PC?

As i alrady said, i know absolutely nothing about this game, so if it is, i wouldn't know...

Mex
09-18-2004, 08:19 AM
Oh and PLEASE don't post spoilers. If you post the end of the game without using the spoiler tags, you'd get flamed more than you can possibly imagine.

obi
09-18-2004, 09:56 AM
Wow. I've been playing it for several hours now........

Must......get......sleep.....................

It does rock, btw. ;)

swphreak
09-18-2004, 09:58 AM
Damn you obi.

My copy is still sitting somewhere.... UPS is taking more than THREE DAYS!

obi
09-18-2004, 10:00 AM
Go get a nap, Phreakeh. Get as much sleep as you can.

For when Fable arives, you shall find yourself lacking it. Cherish the rest you can get now, because it's going to be a rarety.

Seriously.

LightNinja
09-18-2004, 02:21 PM
you are all richs? i wish i could buy all the cool games right now, but ill have to decide on 1 :(, maybe 2

Rogue15
09-18-2004, 02:26 PM
holy ****...i started playing at around 12, and it's 6:30. there's alot of side-quests and minigames you can do, and there's fishing, fist-fighting matches, treasure hunting, etc. XD it's so cool. the only thing i don't care for however, is that your character seems to age really fast...=\ me no like gray hair.

Mex
09-18-2004, 02:32 PM
I am so damn jealous. I wish I could hold a copy of that game in my hands right now. I'd be playing it for hours non stop.

Rogue: Your character only ages when you do quests, slow down and enjoy the rest of it a bit more! (I wish I could.)

KBell
09-18-2004, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by LightNinja
you are all richs? i wish i could buy all the cool games right now, but ill have to decide on 1 :(, maybe 2

Blockbuster my friend, Blockbuster ;)

Mex
09-18-2004, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by LightNinja

Getting a part-time job normally helps. :xp:

Rogue15
09-18-2004, 03:40 PM
Getting a part-time job normally helps. :xp:

do good deeds, mow the neighbor's yard, rake some leaves!
Don't be cold, get some gold! :rofl:

Mex
09-18-2004, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by Rogue15
do good deeds, mow the neighbor's yard, rake some leaves!
Don't be cold, get some gold! :rofl:

Or maybe you could rob someone! Then you could help a bully beat up a kid for his money! Ooh, or maybe you could run into someones house and steel it! That sounds fun! :p

RoxStar
09-18-2004, 06:56 PM
I have to wait another month, because I'm in Britain. I really really want to murder those Microsoft bastards. The game was made in the UK and you U.S people get it first, it's ****ing stupid.

Sorry for the language, I've been waiting for this game for years, and then Micro go and make stupid ****ing mistakes like that.

amazon.com

ebay.com

whatever.
:rolleyes:

Originally posted by obi
I'm currently waving bye to my money, because I'm getting Fable, Battlefront, and the star wars dvd set.

*sigh*

It'll be worth it though ;)

*grumbles*

This month in reviwe

new comp 300+
Battlefront 50
Star Wars DVD 50

spending 400 in one month just for star wars...

:(

Hiroki
09-18-2004, 08:27 PM
This months cash: X-Box, Shenmue 2, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Fable ( All already bought, over 200 bucks. ) And Rome: Total War soon...man.

jokemaster
09-18-2004, 08:55 PM
Rented it. I'm trying to play as a good guy, but somehow my alignment meter keeps going toward the right. Unless the right is good.

Hiroki
09-18-2004, 09:26 PM
Yes, right is good. If you really start being evil, you'll know it. People will cower, and run from you, and you'll start growing horns.

jokemaster
09-18-2004, 09:35 PM
Oh, it's because the logo on the personality option has the right side as evil and the left side as good so I thought.......

Also, I've already got 4 wives, all at the same time. :naughty:

Tyrion
09-18-2004, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by jokemaster

Also, I've already got 4 wives, all at the same time. :naughty:

Doesn't the game keep a record of how many times you've had intercourse? :dozey:

jokemaster
09-18-2004, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by Tyrion
Doesn't the game keep a record of how many times you've had intercourse? :dozey: Yah, but I'm to lazy to check it, marrige on the other hand is fairly easy to know how many times you've done it. I think I've had sex more than 6 time though.

Hiroki
09-18-2004, 10:03 PM
I've only got 2 wives, but one of them is the Mayor of Bowerstone. ;)

ET Warrior
09-18-2004, 11:13 PM
I have four wives...but I think one of them has gone missing...I haven't seen her in a looong time...but oh well, I love how I'm always getting platemail gifts from my wife in Oakvale :D

I LOVE the level up system in Fable, It's so unique and awesome, and...woah.

I played for like....8 hours today I think :indif:

Mex
09-19-2004, 04:59 AM
Originally posted by Dave Grohl
amazon.com

ebay.com

whatever.
:rolleyes:

Jee, ever thought that my Xbox can't play games from the US? :indif:

jokemaster
09-19-2004, 07:31 AM
Hey, in the stats screen it says 'shops owned', how do you own a shop? Do you kill the owner or something?

KBell
09-19-2004, 08:17 AM
You buy them. Kinda like a house. One is located in the first city you visit I believe. But they're expensive.

ET Warrior
09-19-2004, 08:56 AM
One way to own a shop that isn't for sale is to marry the shop owner.....That's how I own the barber shop in Bowerstone :)

Mex
09-19-2004, 11:22 AM
What kind of hair and beard styles can you have? :)

toms
09-20-2004, 04:36 AM
I was worried that when Fable came out I’d get sucked in and I wouldn’t have time to play Burnout 3 and Phantom Brave. So I’m actually kind of glad that Fable was a huge disappointment.

So in Fable you have a very small world divided up into dozens of tiny zones. Each of these zones sufferers from the “you can go anywhere you want…as long as you stay on the ****ing path” school of game design. A winding path will take you through each one of these zones and you don’t need to worry about accidentally wandering off the path and getting lost. You’ll quickly notice that someone has placed sturdy impenetrable bushes, broken fences, rocks, and impassable pools of shallow water all along the road. The entire game may as well be played on rails as your options for exploration are essentially zilch. The really awesome thing about these tiny, linear zones is that they require an insane load time. Traveling from one side of the map to the other will require you to spend nearly as much time loading as playing. Thankfully at some point the designers realized that traversing their bull**** world was a real pain in the ass and so they decided to let you teleport wherever you want. I imagine this conversation went something like this:

Girl: “Wow, running around in our game ****ing sucks.”

Guy: “What if you could just teleport wherever you wanted to go?”

Girl: “That doesn’t solve the underlying problem. Shouldn’t we instead address the fact that navigating our game world is a bitch?”

Guy: “We should have sex.”

Whoa, that certainly got hot! In my imagination all work place encounters between men and woman result in clandestine sex.

Not only do these tiny zones require loading but you also have to load every time you want to use a shovel or a fishing pole. The idea is that there is treasure buried all over the world just waiting to be dug up. However each time you want to dig you need to select the spade from your menu and then wait as the game loads the digging animation, at this point you will either get some treasure or you’ll see your character sigh. Then you get to wait again as it takes you back to the regular game. I dug twice before I was totally ****ing sick of it.

So what’s going on in-between all this loading? Well you’re playing an extremely linear and limited hack and slash adventure game combined with a ****ty version of the Sims mixed with animal crossing only minus all of animal crossings charm and inspiration. If you want to just play through Fable as fast as you can, it’s a boring but passable action RPG. The combat is awkward at first and the camera is frustrating but you can have some fun with it for a couple of hours. Thankfully that’s all the time you’ll need to invest if that’s how you decide to play the game. If you decide you want to buy a house or flirt with a girl you certainly can. You can also spend an insane amount of time dressing and building up your character. In fact a huge part of the game revolves around making your character look awesome. I can see how this might be cool in an MMO where you could show him off to other players but in Fable no one else will ever see your character. You can’t even take screen shots and upload them via live into some kind of online Fable hero’s picture album to share with your friends. You spend so much time in this game working on a character that you can never share with anyone else. I actually saw forum threads in which people were trying to describe how cool their characters looked to each other. They would try and explain how their particular hair cut really accentuated a certain tattoo. These people are so desperate to share their characters that they were trying to take photos of their TV screens.

In my opinion, none of Fable’s “open ended” game play works in the context of a single player game. Things like owning shops, becoming renowned and impressing people with your sharp dressing just aren’t cool when the world is populated by pre-programmed puppets rather than living people.

Also if you can’t understand why it looks like ass on your HD television here’s a little trick. Fable will sometimes refuse to run in 480p, but you can force it to by going into your dashboard. Open the tray with Fable in the drive and then go into your video settings in your dashboard. Turn off 480p and then turn in back on. Now hold both triggers and click both thumb sticks. This will force your Xbox into 480p mode and you can just close the drive and start Fable. Now if there was a series of buttons you could press in order to make it worth 50 bucks.
by Gabe from penny arcade...:D

ckcsaber
09-20-2004, 05:43 AM
I mostly agree with everything I read so far about the game.

Yes, I bit the bullet and bought in on Friday. And I've already beaten it. :/

It still is a LOT of fun though. I enjoyed the story, despite it's short length, but I'm a little bummed I can't do Hero's Guild quests anymore. Seems like if you beat the game you can't do any quests at all anymore. But I DO get to walk around and watch everyone cheer for me. And get piss drunk at the local tavern and get the screen so blurry that I don't that my wife is INSIDE THE TAVERN WATCHING ME HIT ON WOMEN. It was all good in the hood though. I slipped her a couple of beers and she stumbled around for a while while I snuck out and visited a mutual lady friend in North Bowerstone. :wink wink: :nudge nudge:

Anyways, when I get home from work i think I'll start over and have a dark-haired character and go sacrifice some people in the name of Skorm.

Curt-Man
09-20-2004, 03:41 PM
i rented fable on friday night, beat it on sunday afternoon, that game was so awesome, the best thing was giving people the middle finger, that game has awesome fighting, awesome everything pretty much, getting drunk is fun, there is some sweet armour in that game, i had 2 wives, but i preposed to 4 different girls, but i forgot to buy a house, anywho, i give that game a 8&1/2 out of 10.

KBell
09-20-2004, 03:43 PM
It does seem like a short game, but it'll be fun to go back and play the game in a different direction.

Right now I'm an obese 36 year old man with 2 spouces and has kicked a chicken 21 feet :p

obi
09-20-2004, 05:13 PM
I've beat it already too.

My character is 43 and he looks just like Obi-wan from AotC.

Really, hair, beard, and cloths. I wish I could get a screen shot. He rocks. Plus, I put two augmentations on my master katana and it glows blue like a lightsaber :D

Game rocks. I'm still playing it even though I beat it.