PDA

View Full Version : [KOTOR] Only Imperial Stormtroopers are so precise

Prime
09-26-2004, 06:34 PM
One thing I love about Star Wars is stormtroopers, regardless of whether they can hit anything or not. When I first saw bneezy's screenshots of a stormtrooper model in KOTOR, I was excited. Unfortunately, it is illegal to port assets from one Star Wars game to another. Since the model from those original screenshots was from Jedi Academy, that ment that the mod could not be released.

However, Hapslash had made an superior stormtrooper model for Jedi Academy, and thankfully he has given permission for others to use it. bneezy has been kind enough to port the custom helmet into KOTOR. To avoid legal issues, I decided to make a custom skin that could be included with the helmet and released to the community.

There is still a little bit of tweeking to do, but his a shot of the helmet:

http://warpedproductions.echonetwork.net/screenshots/helmetshot.jpg

Originally, the idea was just to port the helmet. But I think the mod would be better if it had actual armour to go with it. To that end I have decided to skin stormtrooper armour from one of the KOTOR armour models.

Thanks again to Hapslash for the model and to bneezy for porting it. In the end, I hope we can release both player armour and a Sith Trooper replacement.

Xavier2
09-26-2004, 06:51 PM
One word. Perfect!!!!!!Is there a chance we can see a Clone trooper version?

Xavier2

Xavier2
09-26-2004, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by Prime
Unfortunately, it is illegal to port assets from one Star Wars game to another. Since the model from those original screenshots was from Jedi Academy, that ment that the mod could not be released.

To avoid legal issues, I decided to make a custom skin that could be included with the helmet and released to the community.
Since you raised this subject. Do you think it'd be ilegal to use characters and/or portraits from Star Wars movies?

Xavier2

Mav
09-26-2004, 07:10 PM
:D I can't wait Prime

DarthBuzzard
09-26-2004, 07:11 PM
I wouild belive so Xavier, but the person to ask is Mrs. Pianist turned Lawer (Darth333). She knows all the legal stuff :D

And wow Prime! I eagerly await the day it's released :D

Prime
09-26-2004, 07:50 PM
Thanks guys. :)

Originally posted by Xavier2
Is there a chance we can see a Clone trooper version? I'm not thinking about doing that right now, really. I suppose I will have to see how I feel after I am finished this mod. It also depends if a clonetrooper model's original author agreed to allow us to use it, and if bneezy would be willing to port it.

Right now, I'd say probably not.

Do you think it'd be ilegal to use characters and/or portraits from Star Wars movies? Well, modding KOTOR is technically illegal, but it is tolerated. I think if a mod was made to recreate SW characters, that would be tolerated as well.

OK, I'm trying to decide which armour model to use as a base, and I need some opinions. First, here is an example of stormtrooper armour:

http://www.ga501st.com/ArmorTips/armor/Stormtrooper/StormTrooper2.jpg

Now, here are the two base armours I'm thinking of using:

http://warpedproductions.echonetwork.net/screenshots/armour8001.jpg http://warpedproductions.echonetwork.net/screenshots/armour9001.jpg

For the one on the left, the pros are that the wrists are better, and the overall armour is less bulky, like the stormtrooper. The con is that there are pockets that extand out from the front of the chest.

For the one on the right, the pros are that it is easier to skin because a lot of armour is in the right places already, and so the model is shaped a bit better. The cons is that the forearms aren't quite right, and it is bulkier.

What do you guys think would be best?

DarthBuzzard
09-26-2004, 08:00 PM
The one on the right. Definentally. It would skin a much better Stormtrooper. On the left, a lot of the textures are weirdly placed for trooper armor.

Think how nice this is gonna go with orsans E-11...

stingerhs
09-26-2004, 08:02 PM
For the one on the left, the pros are that the wrists are better, and the overall armour is less bulky, like the stormtrooper. The con is that there are pockets that extand out from the front of the chest.

For the one on the right, the pros are that it is easier to skin because a lot of armour is in the right places already, and so the model is shaped a bit better. The cons is that the forearms aren't quite right, and it is bulkier.

What do you guys think would be best?

well, the one on with the pockets can be fixed so that they're flat. for info on that, check out svosh's 3d modeling tips. he actually did exactly what your talking about. i think that xavier2 did the same thing for his boba fett armor. so, that would be my opinion, although it would be more work. so, good luck!! :D :D

jedi_5002
09-26-2004, 08:08 PM
I choose option 3: Have you make your own, correct stormtrooper armor. But since that is not very likely...

I choose the second one (based on the special Cassus (sp?) Fett armor, if I am not mistaken (or the regular)). After looking at the picture of a stormtrooper you provided, it seems to fit better to me. The image with the pockets doesn't look restrictive to movement enough, but the other does. If you were to color the arm sleeves (the green-ish parts) and the hands to look more like the stromtrooper's (for the image on the right), then it would be even better.

Just my 25¢.

:fett:

Achilles
09-26-2004, 08:13 PM
Gotta go with the one on the right. :trooper: :trooper: :trooper:

Xavier2
09-26-2004, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by stingerhs
well, the one on with the pockets can be fixed so that they're flat. for info on that, check out svosh's 3d modeling tips. he actually did exactly what your talking about. i think that xavier2 did the same thing for his boba fett armor. so, that would be my opinion, although it would be more work. so, good luck!! :D :D
Thats correct. Svosh proved its possible with a medium armor and i made the same with the soldier clothes. I was able to do it with pockets and the strap linking the chest and the backpack.

My vote is for the class9 armor. Although its bulkier, it fits better with the helmet size.

An idea mono_giganto gave to my Boba Fett helmet was to scale down the helmet, give it a disguise property, create it as a new head and replace the head of the character.

Xavier2

Prime
09-26-2004, 09:12 PM
Thanks for the opinions, fellas.

Originally posted by DarthBuzzard
Think how nice this is gonna go with orsans E-11... Do you have a link for that? I might ask if I can use it as part of the mod.

RedHawke
09-26-2004, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by Achilles
Gotta go with the one on the right. :trooper: :trooper: :trooper:

Ditto! :D

DarthBuzzard
09-26-2004, 09:52 PM
http://kotormods.t-k.ru/ - used to be on the front page; I've tried to go exploring in there, can't find it, and here the search is disabled :mad: . Good luck finding it.

:Edit" Ta-da! http://kotormods.t-k.ru/mods/e-11.htm Click the hammer thing and stick it in override. bingo. :cool:

Prime
09-26-2004, 09:54 PM
Never mind. I seem to have found it buried away on my harddrive. :)

DarthBuzzard
09-26-2004, 09:57 PM
Dang! All that trouble I went through to find it on Orsan's webby...

Well good luck Prime...can't wait to see it all finished ;)

Mav
09-27-2004, 01:00 AM
I'd say the one on the right

bneezy
09-27-2004, 05:38 AM
That is better than anyone could have hoped! The one on the right. Great job.

I didn't know Stormtroopers were so sassy (http://www.ga501st.com/ArmorTips/armor/Stormtrooper/StormTrooper2.jpg). That's definitely not the position of attention.

Prime
09-27-2004, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by bneezy
That is better than anyone could have hoped! The one on the right. Great job. Thanks man.

Okay, it looks like the consensis is the one on the right. I'll go with that. :)

stormturmoil
09-27-2004, 10:27 AM
just incidentally, has anyone been planning to do the Scout trooper armour ( for which the one on the left would be better, I think)

stingerhs
09-27-2004, 10:32 AM
Thanks man.

Okay, it looks like the consensis is the one on the right. I'll go with that. :)

best of luck to ya!! :D

shosey
09-27-2004, 10:36 AM
this is great, I can't wait to see how it turns out!

Colma Adawin
09-27-2004, 11:53 AM
Since you raised this subject. Do you think it'd be ilegal to use characters and/or portraits from Star Wars movies?

Xavier2

well i would see it as no, becoz we use Lightsabres, the Force, DS and LS, even Sith Lords names, eg

Marka Ragnos - used in Jedi Academy

so i would say that, but hey what do i know? DONT ANSWER THAT :p

MattCole

PS BLOODLY AMAZING STUFF PRIME!!!! :D:cool:

Xavier2
09-27-2004, 12:38 PM
I just bought the Star Wars trilogy DVD. Now, due to Prime, we'll be able to immerse into the old adventure and beat the crap out of the stormtroopers. Great job man!!!

Xavier2

Lorden Darkblade
09-27-2004, 01:20 PM
Great work Prime :)
I cant wait to see those in game ;)
And with the old trilogy in DVD it makes it even better :D

Prime
09-27-2004, 01:52 PM
Now, due to Prime, we'll be able to immerse into the old adventure and beat the crap out of the stormtroopers. Great job man!!! Thanks, but of course it isn't just me. Without Hapslash and bneezy this wouldn't be happening. :)

Doom_Dealer
09-27-2004, 02:17 PM
well, im not posting on the forum much anymore, but i thought id crawl out of my dark lil corner for this. This looks fantastic! Im getting there with some models, already have a pistol and a few grenades ready for testing when i can get the game working again (long story). Wahoo, does the mod include a skill which means you cant hit a barn door with a nuclear warhead aswell???

Xavier2
09-27-2004, 02:31 PM
Thanks, but of course it isn't just me. Without Hapslash and bneezy this wouldn't be happening. :)
Good point.

Due to Hapslash, Bneezy and Prime, we can beat the crap out of the stormtroopers.

Wish i had the time to take my Luke Skywalker outfits mod:( . But i want to finish my clone wars stuff first.

Xavier2:lsduel:

Prime
09-27-2004, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by Doom_Dealer
Wahoo, does the mod include a skill which means you cant hit a barn door with a nuclear warhead aswell??? I'm thinking of having a negative "to hit" modifier. :)

bneezy
09-27-2004, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by Prime I'm thinking of having a negative "to hit" modifier. :)
LOL! Yeah, that would be realistic.

Prime
09-27-2004, 09:24 PM
I've done a bit of work on the basic stormtrooper suit. It is still really rough right now, and there is almost no detail added to the armour. But this screenshot should give an idea of what it will basically look like:

http://warpedproductions.echonetwork.net/screenshots/storm1.jpg

There are still a lot of tweeks to do and detail to add. There are several parts of the suit that don't really line up with the proper features as well as I'd like. Hopefully the flaws won't be too distracting from the overall look. Since I intend it to be a Sith Trooper replacement, in most cases the skin will be seen from a bit of a distance which will help hide the weaker parts.

Achilles
09-27-2004, 09:27 PM
Oh my goodness....that's amazing.
*Wonders how many people will not be giving the disguise to Gadon on Taris*

RedHawke
09-27-2004, 10:01 PM
That is awesome Prime! :D

:drop2:

Airrazor
09-28-2004, 06:45 AM
OMFG :drop2::drop2::drop2::drop2:

Darth333
09-28-2004, 06:57 AM
Looks pretty good! Awesome work :)

bneezy
09-28-2004, 06:57 AM
Originally posted by Airrazor
That pretty much sums it up for me. WOW!

MTV2
09-28-2004, 07:55 AM
That is pretty awsome Prime, I can't wait:D

FunSolo
09-28-2004, 08:52 AM
is it the light ingame? or is it another (or darker) white on the helmet? :confused:

it looks great but i cant figure out where the difference of the colors come from

Prime
09-28-2004, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by FunSolo
is it the light ingame? or is it another (or darker) white on the helmet? :confused: Basically, the armour has the "metallic" property on it left over from the original armour. The helmet does not, and that is why it isn't shiny. There still is some tweeking to do to try and get the "whiteness" as close as possible between the armour and helmet.

Lorden Darkblade
09-28-2004, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Airrazor

Nothing more to add :D :D :cool: :cool:

FunSolo
09-28-2004, 11:56 AM
Basically, the armour has the "metallic" property on it left over from the original armour. The helmet does not, and that is why it isn't shiny. There still is some tweeking to do to try and get the "whiteness" as close as possible between the armour and helmet.

well, sounds good, but i hope your able to release it soon :D

stingerhs
09-28-2004, 12:17 PM
oh heck ya!!! excellent work prime!!!

Darth_ToMeR
09-28-2004, 12:37 PM
Best!!!

Hybris
09-28-2004, 04:31 PM
Holy Mother of Yoda! If thats what you call rough then the fine version will be a dream. I love it and I await it to be done.

:trooper: "I can't see anything out of this thing." ~Luke Skywalker Star Wars Ep 4

Mono_Giganto
09-28-2004, 06:43 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

That is friggin' awesome Prime, very nice job. :)

Mono_Giganto
09-28-2004, 06:43 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

That is friggin' awesome Prime, very nice job. :)

Buffy
09-28-2004, 06:51 PM
100% Top model really nice cant wait !
thank you also could you make Darth Vader Model too ?
I know you can make real Looks Darth Vader too .. ;) :amidala: :lsduel:
thank you

Prime
09-28-2004, 09:20 PM
The skin is coming a long pretty well, and I have most of the rough details finished. Now it is main just neatening everything and polishing things up. In the mean time, here are some screenshots. Unfortumately, most the details are sutle and not all that clear from these shots.

http://warpedproductions.echonetwork.net/screenshots/storm2.jpg

http://warpedproductions.echonetwork.net/screenshots/storm3.jpg

After the skin is done, I'll ask bneezy to set it up so that the Sith troopers are replaced. Also, I have a couple questions if anyone cares to answer.

1. Is there a way to prevent an NPC from switching to "melee mode?" I don't really want to have my stormtroopers with swords when you attack up close. Is there a way to force them to always use blasters?

2. Would it be best to disable the metallic quality of the armour? Stormtrooper armour seems more ceramic, which is less shiny. This would also make it similar to the helmet. But I do like the shininess also.

Achilles
09-28-2004, 09:39 PM
Also, I have a couple questions if anyone cares to answer.

1. Is there a way to prevent an NPC from switching to "melee mode?" I don't really want to have my stormtroopers with swords when you attack up close. Is there a way to force them to always use blasters?

2. Would it be best to disable the metallic quality of the armour? Stormtrooper armour seems more ceramic, which is less shiny. This would also make it similar to the helmet. But I do like the shininess also. The simple answer to #1 is take their Vibro-blades away. Editing the utc's might be cumbersome, but I bet one of the talented scripter in this forum could write a remove item script that could fire in each area where there are attackable sith troopers.

As for #2 I kinda like the shiny :D

Xavier2
09-28-2004, 09:46 PM
First of all its a perfect job!

Second of all i think that every sith soldier, although based in the same model is a unique character in the module, so i guess it would require some major change to unable the melle ability from all of them. Maybe one of the .2da files contains this property.

2. Would it be best to disable the metallic quality of the armour? Stormtrooper armour seems more ceramic, which is less shiny. This would also make it similar to the helmet. But I do like the shininess also.

I think you should try other effects, like envmaptexture Gunmetal or envmaptexture CM_Specmap and see what fits better to emulate the plastic glow of stormtroopers armor. I mentioned this in our last PM.

Hope i have colaborated.

Xavier2

Achilles
09-28-2004, 09:58 PM
Second of all i think that every sith soldier, although based in the same model is a unique character in the module, so i guess it would require some major change to unable the melle ability from all of them. Maybe one of the .2da files contains this property. Not necessarily. If you look at the module for upper city taris, you'll see the there are only utc files for 2 or 3 soldiers.

Doom_Dealer
09-28-2004, 11:59 PM
Yous hould only need to edit the utc file to make the sith wear it aswell, im not sure, but it might be the case that they are wearing the sith disguise item, not just have the appearance. Either way, you can just change there appearence underneath to a basic model (i.e. canderous etc.) and then equip the helmet and armour in the inventory window of kotortool.

Mav
09-29-2004, 12:57 AM
You can't really see it Prime, but I'm drooling.

T7nowhere
09-29-2004, 01:35 AM
Now that looks like a Storm Trooper Prime. Although Cm_baremetal Looks a bit too bright imo, but thats what we have to work with(that or cm_manaan, Custom shaders won't work On armor unless you replace one of those 2.) Im aslo wondering about the helm It looks a bit Flat, for lack of a better word. The texture looks great but it either needs a shader OR self-Illume is set too low On the Aurora Trimesh.

Darth333
09-29-2004, 07:24 AM
I don't suggest editing the .utc file for the troopers to remove their weapons. The reason is that if a .utc file with the same name is used in a cutscene, the game will crash. Bioware reused many files but changed the scripts and the contents depending on the module. The safer way would be to try with coding but then again it would be a heavy procedure and I don't know how the game would react.

Darth_ToMeR
09-29-2004, 09:10 AM
How you are going to change all the Sith soldiers into Stormtroopers? You need to edit all the UTC to add the helmet?

*Yoinked*
09-29-2004, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by Hybris-Holy Mother of Yoda!
:drop2: Okaaaaaay, that is most definitly a new one.......
But back on topic, I think that the armor looks amazing, but the only issues I might possibly have is the stats and the look (great job on it), for the stats I would suggest you make it have a rapid shot feat bonus and no other, for skill bonus (if possible) a negitive awareness modifier (Ben Kenobi on the Death Star), for defense 7-10 ('cause of Leia on Cloud City (bang=dead every time)), and defininetly put in no dexterity bonus with a negative to hit modifier (already said)....
Hope this helps :)
For the look I would make it more shiny and the helmet a tad bit smaller and the details so far are awsome :thumbsup: keep it up....

Prime
09-29-2004, 11:05 AM
I think you should try other effects, like envmaptexture Gunmetal or envmaptexture CM_Specmap and see what fits better to emulate the plastic glow of stormtroopers armor. I mentioned this in our last PM. I'm new to the whole effects thing, so let me see if I've got things straight. Here's what you told me:

"To set this property into an tex, simply create a .txt with the same name from the tex, write the envmap line, change .txt extension to .txi, place in Overrride with tex."

So if my armour texture is named armoursuit.tga for example, I need to create a text file called armoursuit.txt? I'm not sure right now what the envmap line should look like. If you have done this with your Jango skin, I'll take a look at that. But could you provide a little example here of what the envmap line in the armoursuit.txt file would look like?

Originally posted by T7nowhere
Now that looks like a Storm Trooper Prime. Although Cm_baremetal Looks a bit too bright imo, but thats what we have to work with(that or cm_manaan, Custom shaders won't work On armor unless you replace one of those 2.) Im aslo wondering about the helm It looks a bit Flat, for lack of a better word. The texture looks great but it either needs a shader OR self-Illume is set too low On the Aurora Trimesh. So how would I go about adding a shader to the helmet? Is it the same manner as Xavier2 discribed?

Originally posted by Darth333
I don't suggest editing the .utc file for the troopers to remove their weapons. The reason is that if a .utc file with the same name is used in a cutscene, the game will crash. Bioware reused many files but changed the scripts and the contents depending on the module. The safer way would be to try with coding but then again it would be a heavy procedure and I don't know how the game would react. It seems to me that having bladeless stormtroopers is much more work than it is worth. No matter. It would have been nice but by no means important. So I will just leave things in that department as they are. :)

Originally posted by Darth_ToMeR
How you are going to change all the Sith soldiers into Stormtroopers? You need to edit all the UTC to add the helmet? I'm hoping bneezy is going to be nice enough to do that part, since he has already done so with other models, I believe. If not, I will have to figure that out myself.

Originally posted by Adam G.
For the look I would make it more shiny and the helmet a tad bit smaller and the details so far are awsome keep it up.... I am not a modeler and I am only working with what has been given to me, so I suspect the helmet will have to remain at its current size, which I think is OK. I'll see what can be done about the shininess.

for the stats I would suggestActually, I was planning to leave the armour at the regular stats for the sith armour.

Achilles
09-29-2004, 11:39 AM
Prime,

If the texture file is labelled armoursuit.tga, then you would create a text document, and save it as armoursuit.txi.

In the txi file you would enter the line envmaptexture CM_Baremetal, where CM_Baremetal is your shader. You can use whichever shader is provided by the game (i.e. envmaptexture Gunmetal, etc), or you can use a custom shader, but I really don't know that much about those.

Save the changes and drop both the txi and the tga file into your override and new shader will be applied to your alpha channel.

I hope that helps.

Xavier2
09-29-2004, 12:14 PM
Prime,

If the texture file is labelled armoursuit.tga, then you would create a text document, and save it as armoursuit.txi.

In the txi file you would enter the line envmaptexture CM_Baremetal, where CM_Baremetal is your shader. You can use whichever shader is provided by the game (i.e. envmaptexture Gunmetal, etc), or you can use a custom shader, but I really don't know that much about those.

Save the changes and drop both the txi and the tga file into your override and new shader will be applied to your alpha channel.

I hope that helps.
Thats right. I guess Achiles was more clear than me. To see a game example double-click any class9 armor texture with Kotor Tool. When KT opens the file you can see its envmaptexture in the lower left corner of the window.

In order to change an envmaptexture assigned to the armor you should then create a .txi with the same armor name and write in it the desired envmaptexture. I hope i have explained better, though Achiles may have been more didatical:D

As for the envmaptexture you should use try the "Gunmetal".

In my Jango Armor i haven't changed the shader, cuz CM_baremetal was fine to me, i just used a smooth Alpha chanel.

Looking foward for you remarkable mod.

Xavier2:)

Prime
09-29-2004, 12:49 PM
Thanks guys, that makes sense now. I'll give it a try with the shader Xavier2 suggested.

I don't believe the helmet has an alpha channel currently. I assume that is the only way to add a reflective property to it?

Achilles
09-29-2004, 12:58 PM
I don't believe the helmet has an alpha channel currently. I assume that is the only way to add a reflective property to it? That's correct.

Prime
09-29-2004, 02:27 PM
Okay, I tried to alter the shader but so far I'm having no luck. It always appears to be the same CM_Baremetal shading. Even if I leave the .txi file blank, it still uses the old shader.

So, I have a texture file called PMBH15.tga. And I have a text file with the extention changed to .txi (if anyone wants to look, it's here (http://warpedproductions.echonetwork.net/screenshots/PMBH15.txi)). Inside the .txi file I have the line:

envmaptexture Gunmetal

Both the .tga and .txi files reside in my Override directory. What am I missing? Is there something else that affects the shaders?

Xavier2
09-29-2004, 02:34 PM
Thanks guys, that makes sense now. I'll give it a try with the shader Xavier2 suggested.

I don't believe the helmet has an alpha channel currently. I assume that is the only way to add a reflective property to it?
I don't know if its gonna work for an item not based in any Kotor model, but you should try the same armor process. It worked for my Jango Fett helmet.

Xavier2

Xavier2
09-29-2004, 02:38 PM
Okay, I tried to alter the shader but so far I'm having no luck. It always appears to be the same CM_Baremetal shading. Even if I leave the .txi file blank, it still uses the old shader.

So, I have a texture file called PMBH15.tga. And I have a text file with the extention changed to .txi (if anyone wants to look, it's here (http://warpedproductions.echonetwork.net/screenshots/PMBH15.txi)). Inside the .txi file I have the line:

envmaptexture Gunmetal

Both the .tga and .txi files reside in my Override directory. What am I missing? Is there something else that affects the shaders?
I'm not an expert, but i believe, the Gunmetal shader is softer than CM_Baremetal (i tested in helmets and armors), but is still shiny. If you use Alpha Channel in full intensity its gonna look almost the same.

Xavier2

Prime
09-29-2004, 02:42 PM
I also tried using an empty .txi file, yet it still seems to be its normal shiny self. :)

Could there be something inherent in the texture that forces the use of a certain shader? DarthToMeR's original clonetrooper armour doesn't have a .txi file yet it still is shiny.

I'm so confuselized! :D

T7nowhere
09-29-2004, 03:09 PM
Im far from being an expert with reskinning(But I can make an alpha channel ;) ) I think the way it works is that For armor The Shader is set in the model And the only way to change the shader for it is to set envmap(appearance.2da) to something other that defualt. I could be mistaken about it, But I know svösh has tried to add his own custom shader which results in all kinds of undesired effects, From the entire scene vanishing to just the player model turing invisable.

The best way I can think of reducing the shader is by turning the Alpha channel to almost white.

svösh knows alot more about this than I do. I sugest PM svösh.

Achilles
09-29-2004, 03:36 PM
I also tried using an empty .txi file, yet it still seems to be its normal shiny self. :)

Could there be something inherent in the texture that forces the use of a certain shader? DarthToMeR's original clonetrooper armour doesn't have a .txi file yet it still is shiny.

I'm so confuselized! :D *shrug*

Try this: In photoshop, use the magic wand tool to select the areas of the texture that you do not want to be affected by the shader. Now right click and choose "save selection" (or something like that..don't have PS in front of me right now). In the pop-up use the drop down menu to select "alpha 1". Now the radio button for "replace existing channel" will be the default option.

Click ok, then save your texture as tga. Drop it into the overrider folder along with your txi file and see if it works.

Prime
09-29-2004, 08:18 PM
Well, I played around a bit and here is what I ended up with. FIrst, I made the white of the helmet pretty much the same shade as the white of the armour (which it wasn't before).

http://warpedproductions.echonetwork.net/screenshots/storm4.jpg

Next I tried Achilles suggestion to see how it changed things. First, I selected the entire texture and saved the selection. This got rid of all the shininess, resulting in this:

http://warpedproductions.echonetwork.net/screenshots/stormnoshine.jpg

Then I did the same thing again, but this time only selceting a part of the texture. This resulted in:

http://warpedproductions.echonetwork.net/screenshots/stormalpha.jpg

This was the same regardless of what is in the .txi file.

Wierd. :) Although it isn't perfect, I'm actually surprised with how much better it looks after I had tweeked the shades of white for the armour and helmet to be almost the same.

CodeDrifter
09-29-2004, 08:55 PM
I love this armor especially the one without the shinyness

Xavier2
09-29-2004, 09:10 PM
Well, I played around a bit and here is what I ended up with. FIrst, I made the white of the helmet pretty much the same shade as the white of the armour (which it wasn't before).

http://warpedproductions.echonetwork.net/screenshots/storm4.jpg

Next I tried Achilles suggestion to see how it changed things. First, I selected the entire texture and saved the selection. This got rid of all the shininess, resulting in this:

http://warpedproductions.echonetwork.net/screenshots/stormnoshine.jpg

Then I did the same thing again, but this time only selceting a part of the texture. This resulted in:

http://warpedproductions.echonetwork.net/screenshots/stormalpha.jpg

This was the same regardless of what is in the .txi file.

Wierd. :) Although it isn't perfect, I'm actually surprised with how much better it looks after I had tweeked the shades of white for the armour and helmet to be almost the same.
Prime

How intense is your alpha channel? The shine is proportional to how much black/white you put in it.

Xavier2

Prime
09-29-2004, 09:55 PM
After goofing around a bit more, I can't really decide whether I want shininess or not. The one on the left has it, the one on the right is a rough version of the skin without. I just brightened up the second one without much regard for the details.

http://warpedproductions.echonetwork.net/screenshots/storm6.jpg http://warpedproductions.echonetwork.net/screenshots/stormnoshine3.jpg

I think I'm kind of leaning towards the shiny one, but I'm on the fence. What do you guys think?

Also, does anyone know if Orsan who made the blaster is still floating around? I want to ask him permission to include and "Englishize" it with the mod. Just wondering if he is still floating around here...

svösh
09-29-2004, 10:03 PM
Prime The reason DarthToMeR's Armour has no .txi is the model uses an alpha with cm_baremetal on the the actual model’s materials under the texture so the game needs no extra shader info to make it shine. It’s imbedded in the model on export.

Now to make your helm shine

Open the tga or psd or paint shop native file

A quick way to make a fast alpha open the channels copy the cannel that best suits you. any of the 3will do. Rename it to alpha 1

So black is transparent / masked and white is opaque / unmasked , untouched by the shine so in this case you will have gray tones of the black and white Armour . But all the black in the image and any tone of gray will shine on this channel so …
Now Invert the channel ;) why ? because all that is white you want to shine and all that is black, not to shine. After words you can zoom in and of add custom touches with a bit of fancy editing cut and paste form selections of the actual image to the alpha or painting the shine on the eyes ect for this I recommend the airbrush 5 or 10 % opacity with black . Or the short cut ;) levels give those pure white tones on the channel a touch of gray I mean just off white not even gray really.

To wrap it up
What ever you called the .tga for your helm make a txi

Exactly as you have done for the one you posted but replace

envmaptexture Gunmetal with envmaptexture CM_Baremetal

Save it as the same as your .tga’s name for the helm and you are set drop both files in override and give it a spin ;)

I hope this helps you
svösh

bneezy
09-30-2004, 06:36 AM
I was having all sorts of problems with the whole .txi file creation until I realized the little thing I was doing wrong. I had to make sure that when I saved the text file with "envmaptexture CM_Baremetal" in it, I chose "All Files" instead of "Text Documents (*.txt)" in the "Save as type" menu. Then save it as "texturename.txi". When I forgot to do that, I got "CM_Baremetal.txi.txt". Even if I took the ".txt" off, it wouldn't work. I had to save it right the first time. Just thought I would pass this along to anyone having the same problem.

*Yoinked*
09-30-2004, 07:17 AM
After goofing around a bit more, I can't really decide whether I want shininess or not. The one on the left has it, the one on the right is a rough version of the skin without. I just brightened up the second one without much regard for the details.

http://warpedproductions.echonetwork.net/screenshots/storm6.jpg http://warpedproductions.echonetwork.net/screenshots/stormnoshine3.jpg

I think I'm kind of leaning towards the shiny one, but I'm on the fence. What do you guys think?

Also, does anyone know if Orsan who made the blaster is still floating around? I want to ask him permission to include and "Englishize" it with the mod. Just wondering if he is still floating around here...

I would go with the one on the left because it looks loads better.
And good luck with the mod.

Darth333
09-30-2004, 07:20 AM
I prefer the "shiny" one too :)

bneezy
09-30-2004, 07:30 AM
The model and texture are from Jedi Academy. He didn't make those. The helmet was his though. Although, I believe the model and texture from that was from another (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v427/bneezy21/Jango_Helmet.jpg) Jedi Academy MOD. The texture was recolored (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v427/bneezy21/Boba_Helmet.jpg).

Prime
09-30-2004, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by svösh
Now to make your helm shine

[snipped great stuff for space]
Thanks svösh. I'll give that a try and see how it goes. If it is OK with you, I'll PM you if I get stuck. :)

I was having all sorts of problems with the whole .txi file creation until I realized the little thing I was doing wrong. I had to make sure that when I saved the text file with "envmaptexture CM_Baremetal" in it, I chose "All Files" instead of "Text Documents (*.txt)" in the "Save as type" menu. Then save it as "texturename.txi". When I forgot to do that, I got "CM_Baremetal.txi.txt". Even if I took the ".txt" off, it wouldn't work. I had to save it right the first time.
I was pretty careful to save the file correctly, but I'll make sure. Thanks for the tip.

I would go with the one on the left because it looks loads better.
After looking at them some more, I agree. The one on the left is like a car that has been repainted with house paint. :)

The model and texture are from Jedi Academy. He didn't make those. The helmet was his though. Although, I believe the model and texture from that was from another Jedi Academy MOD. The texture was recolored.
Ah, OK.

bneezy
09-30-2004, 08:15 AM
After looking at them some more, I agree. The one on the left is like a car that has been repainted with house paint.
That Stormtrooper hadn't received his clear coat yet. He was only sporting primer.

Lorden Darkblade
09-30-2004, 08:39 AM
I prefer the "shiny" one too :)
:trooper: :trooper: :trooper: :trooper: :trooper:
5 Troopers out of 5 :D

Doom_Dealer
09-30-2004, 08:40 AM
Definatly the one on the left, but with maybe a tiny tiny bit les shader.

Anyway, is it possible for a screenie with the helmet with abit of shader?? id like to see what it would looks like to have both the armour and helmet with abit of shine

Darth_ToMeR
09-30-2004, 09:17 AM
I like the one on the left. But i think you need to make it less shiny. And post a pic after you add the Alpha to the helmet.

Mono_Giganto
09-30-2004, 01:55 PM
Why not ask Hapslash's permission to use his blaster?

BTW very nice job Prime.

Prime
09-30-2004, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by Mono_Giganto
Why not ask Hapslash's permission to use his blaster? Did he make a blaster? I can't remember if he included one with the model or not...

I'm still learning about how Paint Shop Pro deals with masks and alpha channels, but I have an shiny helmet:

http://warpedproductions.echonetwork.net/screenshots/stormshine1.jpg

The problem is that the non-white details are also shiny, which I don't want. Also, it is a little too shiny, and I want to reduce that slightly. I'm going to play around a bit more and see what I can figure out.

Mono_Giganto
09-30-2004, 03:21 PM
Did he make a blaster? I can't remember if he included one with the model or not...

Yeah the file is here (http://www.pcgamemods.com/4628). :)

Lorden Darkblade
09-30-2004, 03:27 PM
Did he make a blaster? I can't remember if he included one with the model or not...

I'm still learning about how Paint Shop Pro deals with masks and alpha channels, but I have an shiny helmet:

http://warpedproductions.echonetwork.net/screenshots/stormshine1.jpg

The problem is that the non-white details are also shiny, which I don't want. Also, it is a little too shiny, and I want to reduce that slightly. I'm going to play around a bit more and see what I can figure out.
Amazing job Prime :D :D :cool:

90SK
09-30-2004, 04:42 PM
I agree. Great work! :mm1

svösh
09-30-2004, 05:06 PM
Absolutely Prime , pm me if I can be more help to you,

I’m glad my alpha info was helpful ;) by using levels on the alpha, if it’s set up like ps then drag the black point bottom slider to the white a touch this should help the other black parts not shine anymore and will make the overall channel whiter, reducing the shine I think closer to what you had in mind.

svösh

Xavier2
09-30-2004, 07:28 PM
Prime

I don't know if its beyond any utility by now, but i thought i should make my point about envmaptexture better clear, since nobody seems to have noticed they have very diferent effects as you can see in these Jango Fett helmet pics:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v378/Xavier2x/JangoHelmetshaders.jpg - Texture with alpha channel and no envmap
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v378/Xavier2x/JangoHelmetshaders2.jpg - Texture with the same alpha channel and envmap Gunmetal
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v378/Xavier2x/JangoHelmetshaders3.jpg - Texture with the same alpha channel and envmap CM_Baremetal

See? CM_Baremetal is much more shiny and is applied over a skin in a different way, spreading over all the surface, while Gunmetal concentrates in the edge of the model.

Hope its useful:)

Xavier2

EDIT: Here is another which i think fits better for the stormtrooper. It's less shiny than Gunmetal and is applied to a single spot giving the texture that plastic or fiber look

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v378/Xavier2x/JangoHelmetshaders4.jpg - Texture with the same alpha channel and envmap CM_Specmap

Prime
09-30-2004, 08:59 PM
Thanks for all the great help, guys. :) I've played around with the alpha channel and the .txi file. I've reduced the shine on the armour and added some to the helmet. I think it is a lot closer to the ceramic look of stormtrooper armour. I'm more or less finished the skin, and now with bneezy's help it needs to be added to the game in place of sith troopers. Here is how the stormtrooper looks now in different environments...

http://warpedproductions.echonetwork.net/screenshots/storm10.jpg

IIRC bneezy mentioned that when he was playing around with imported helmets, etc. before, they showed up in the game but not in the cutscenes. Does anyone know why this would be?

Thanks again for all your help, everyone. :)

RedHawke
09-30-2004, 09:08 PM
^^^^
*Sniff* That looks so...
*Sniff* so...
*Sniff* freakin awesome!!! :D

Very... sweet Prime! :D

Xavier2
09-30-2004, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by RedHawke
^^^^
*Sniff* That looks so...
*Sniff* so...
*Sniff* freakin awesome!!! :D

Very... sweet Prime! :D
Indeed. Which envmap did you use Prime?

Buffy
10-01-2004, 01:19 AM
is PC can use this too ? :duel:
I hope so .. thank you :)

Mav
10-01-2004, 01:55 AM
Awesome Prime, I can't wait.

Achilles
10-01-2004, 02:33 AM
IIRC bneezy mentioned that when he was playing around with imported helmets, etc. before, they showed up in the game but not in the cutscenes. Does anyone know why this would be?

Thanks again for all your help, everyone. :) Try looking around in the Stunt modules. I tried to find it for you but I just got home from a long night of drinking and I'm pretty much useless at this point. Good luck!

PS I say this because the stunt utc's are different from the default utc's. I hope that helps.

Edit: perhaps some of the modules might help as well. For instance, lev_m40aa.

Darth_ToMeR
10-01-2004, 04:02 AM
So great!!!!

StormTrooper789
10-01-2004, 04:59 AM
Thanks for all the great help, guys. :) I've played around with the alpha channel and the .txi file. I've reduced the shine on the armour and added some to the helmet. I think it is a lot closer to the ceramic look of stormtrooper armour. I'm more or less finished the skin, and now with bneezy's help it needs to be added to the game in place of sith troopers. Here is how the stormtrooper looks now in different environments...

http://warpedproductions.echonetwork.net/screenshots/storm10.jpg

Thanks again for all your help, everyone. :)
:drop2: Awesome work, prime!!!

The shine looks very well! :)

T7nowhere
10-01-2004, 07:13 AM
It might just be certain cutscenes. I think most will be fine but I do know that the first dialog cut with Trask can do some odd things. As an example if you use one of the alien npc's to start the game it is very likely that it will be invisible for that scene.

Doom_Dealer
10-01-2004, 09:02 AM
I'd call that perfect, dam good job mate!!!!

shosey
10-01-2004, 09:49 AM
I want to be a jedi stormtrooper!!! :)

excellent job!

bneezy
10-01-2004, 10:14 AM
I seem to be hitting a snag. I changed all the sith troopers on the Endar Spire to the first large male caucaisan and then give them the same helmet, armor, and blaster. Some work fine, but some (like the ones in cutscenes and others) either don't have heads (but have the armor) or don't show the changes at all. I know there are some scripts in the game that automatically change inventory and appearances when you trigger something. For example, Trask will revert back to his old form with a vibroblade when you meet Bandon on the Endar Spire. I haven't had any luck with the STUNT modules. They only have .utc's for certain areas and almost all involve Malak, Revan, Dodonna, and "Yoda". I went through all of them. Any thoughts? Also, the helmets disappear when they die.

By the way, I double checked to make sure all spelling and settings were correct. Maybe if I changed the Sith trooper model to a PC model and then changed the .utc's, that might work.

Prime
10-01-2004, 11:13 AM
Indeed. Which envmap did you use Prime? IIRC, I have the baremetal for the armour, and gunmetal for the helmet. To be honest, I haven't really played around much more with the envmaptexture/.txi stuff. Most of the tweeking I have done is with the alpha mask. That has allowed me to get the reflectiveness to pretty much where I want ti.

Originally posted by Buffy
is PC can use this too ? My idea is that it will replace the Sith armour that is gain on Taris, and then given away at a later time. But since bneezy is setting up that this stuff, it is up to him as well. After all, it is not just my mod. I'm only doing the skinning portion of it. We haven't really discussed it that issue far.

In the end, it will be available to the player through cheats at least.

Try looking around in the Stunt modules. I tried to find it for you but I just got home from a long night of drinking and I'm pretty much useless at this point. Good luck!

PS I say this because the stunt utc's are different from the default utc's. I hope that helps.

Edit: perhaps some of the modules might help as well. For instance, lev_m40aa. Thanks for the info. Hopefully you will be able to continue helping us with the problems bneezy is currently having.

But it is nice to see you make it out from behind the screen for a few pops now and then, Achilles. :)

It might just be certain cutscenes. I think most will be fine but I do know that the first dialog cut with Trask can do some odd things. As an example if you use one of the alien npc's to start the game it is very likely that it will be invisible for that scene.
Cool.

I seem to be hitting a snag. I changed all the sith troopers on the Endar Spire to the first large male caucaisan and then give them the same helmet, armor, and blaster. Some work fine, but some (like the ones in cutscenes and others) either don't have heads (but have the armor) or don't show the changes at all. Is it only the cutscene ones that don't work correctly? Or are there "in game" ones that also have the same problem? When you say you've changed all the troopers on the Spire, is that different form changing them on other worlds/places?

I know there are some scripts in the game that automatically change inventory and appearances when you trigger something. For example, Trask will revert back to his old form with a vibroblade when you meet Bandon on the Endar Spire. OK.

I haven't had any luck with the STUNT modules. They only have .utc's for certain areas and almost all involve Malak, Revan, Dodonna, and "Yoda". I went through all of them. Any thoughts? Also, the helmets disappear when they die. Do you have any more ideas about this, Achilles?

By the way, I double checked to make sure all spelling and settings were correct. Maybe if I changed the Sith trooper model to a PC model and then changed the .utc's, that might work. Cool. Keep us up to date with your progress, and hopefully we can get you as much help as possible.

Keep up the good work, bneezy. :)

T7nowhere
10-01-2004, 11:14 AM
I have a partial solution to the problem But it may be the best idea.

Bneezy you can continue to replace the the sith trooper model with a PC one and give them a head, but rename the import the head into gmax then link the storm trooper helm to it rename the model export it compile it and add that new storm trooper head to the sith soldier. It will work and it will only require a head model and edited appearance plus the skin and all that ;) The only problem with this is that the head will be static.

Xavier2 mention in svösh's modeling tut thread that he got his edited head to work without looseing animation accept it was stuck in the wrong position on the body. Perhaps he could tell you how he compiled the model with animations and you might be able to get some head movement.

Even if the animations won't work I think linking the storm trooper helm to a pc is better than editing utc files. and you will still see body movement so at a distance as your killing them you prbably won't even notice the head doesn't move.

EDit : oh ya and to be clear this would solve almost every problem with turing sith trooper into Storm troopers. every npc that uses that appearance row will be a storm trooper even the SITh armor you get on Taris will make you look like a storm trooper Though I would recommend taking off the disguise prop and including the helmet when you get he armor. There might be a problem with sith troopers that use a different color texture though, like the sith commander in the under city.

Darth333
10-01-2004, 11:45 AM
Even if the animations won't work I think linking the storm trooper helm to a pc is better than editing utc files. and you will still see body movement so at a distance as your killing them you prbably won't even notice the head doesn't move.
I believe this is the best solution too. If you use .utc files you will run into trouble during cutscenes and perhaps at ther moments of the game.

EDit : oh ya and to be clear this would solve almost every problem with turing sith trooper into Storm troopers. every npc that uses that appearance row will be a storm trooper even the SITh armor you get on Taris will make you look like a storm trooper Though I would recommend taking off the disguise prop and including the helmet when you get he armor.

Not sure I would do this. I can look at the files this evening to confirm whether or not you can do this safely. There is a script attached to that file (if I remember, there is something about the disguise but I don't remember the contents of the script) and spells.2da so npcs react differently when you wear that armor. But iin any event, it would be possible to make a new script so the result is the same at the end... before going further with my ramblings, let me check it. I'll get back to you on this this evening.

Prime
10-01-2004, 12:30 PM
Thanks for the great help guys and gal. ;)

bneezy
10-01-2004, 12:32 PM
I replaced the Sith soldier files with PMBHS and renamed them "n_sithsoldier". I then renamed the armor texture to PMBH01 (which is what the game gave me (PMBH01) when I changed the files.) The bodies work fine, animations and all. The correct texture shows up as well. The heads are what I'm trying to figure out now.

T7, did you mean change the Sith soldier appearance in "appearance.2da" and not with the actual files? Then, change the "normalhead" to a head model that I imported and linked the helmet to? Or do I need to make a unique head and add it to "heads.2da" and change that in "appearance.2da"? I just need it broken down "Potato Head" style so I know I'm following your directions exactly.

Xavier2 respond! We need your insight on your head models.

Xavier2
10-01-2004, 12:33 PM

Xavier2 mention in svösh's modeling tut thread that he got his edited head to work without looseing animation accept it was stuck in the wrong position on the body. Perhaps he could tell you how he compiled the model with animations and you might be able to get some head movement.
That's true i managed to edit a head without affecting animations. There is a set back though, the head loses its attachment to the neck and as the body moves the head accompanies like a baloon barely stucked to it.

The thing is the head model has a complex parental relation between the objects its made of. There is an specif object i think is preventing edited head to work. Its the cut_scene_dummy, which i guess refers to body attachment. If we could export it right, i guess it would work as armor editing worked for svosh (pocketless armor) and me (Boba Fett from soldier clothes). Maybe cchargin could help.

Xavier2

EDIT: I made a mistake the object is Scene Root not cut scene dummy. The aurora base is related to that but the head model doesn't have any Scene Root object

bneezy
10-01-2004, 12:40 PM
Well it's progress (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v427/bneezy21/traskhead.jpg).

Xavier2, clean out that mailbox.

That's a lot better (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v427/bneezy21/traskhead2.jpg).

Xavier2
10-01-2004, 01:13 PM

Xavier2, clean out that mailbox.
Done:D

T7nowhere
10-01-2004, 01:38 PM
That's a lot better (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v427/bneezy21/traskhead2.jpg).

Good now that you have the Head, you will need to make it completly unique renaming the model and addin it to heads.2da and then add the head # into appearance.2da into the normal head column. doing this and replacing n_sithsoldier with PMBHS which you say you have done.

As long as the sith soldier row is edited it will change all armored sith. But I think you know what your doing now.

bneezy
10-01-2004, 02:05 PM
I've changed the appearance correctly in "appearance.2da". I get the same effect changing the appearance file as I do completely changing model files (renaming PMBHS.mdl/mdx to n_sithsoldier.mdl/mdx) so I know it is working as it should. When I rename the new head model "n_traskh" to test it on trask, it works fine. I added it as #107 in "heads.2da" and called it "n_storm". I changed the "normalhead" column to read 107. Nothing. The head doesn't show up. Am I missing something?

Lorden Darkblade
10-01-2004, 02:06 PM
It is perfect!!!!
Outstanding job prime :D :D

Xavier2
10-01-2004, 02:19 PM
I've changed the appearance correctly in "appearance.2da". I get the same effect changing the appearance file as I do completely changing model files (renaming PMBHS.mdl/mdx to n_sithsoldier.mdl/mdx) so I know it is working as it should. When I rename the new head model "n_traskh" to test it on trask, it works fine. I added it as #107 in "heads.2da" and called it "n_storm". I changed the "normalhead" column to read 107. Nothing. The head doesn't show up. Am I missing something?
The .mdl should be n_storm.mdl for it to work. Also, i think you should Hex edit and replace references to the original name of the model. Look Orsan's Obi-Wan head and you can see he replaced the text pointing to Carth's original head.

Xavier2

bneezy
10-01-2004, 02:54 PM
I'm getting closer (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v427/bneezy21/closer1.jpg) and closer (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v427/bneezy21/closer2.jpg). What the deal with the texture is, I don't know. The only things in the override are the helmet texture with .txi, n_storm.mdl/.mdx, heads.2da, and appearance.2da. I changed the "modeltype" to "B" and the head started working. I replaced the two N_SithSoldier with PMBHS under modela and texa.

Update: That's new (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v427/bneezy21/wtf.jpg).

FunSolo
10-01-2004, 04:29 PM
looks like the texture of the armor´s missing, on the last pic? and it looks like you changed the whole look of the troopers.. the helmet looks good, but i dont like the armor on the other 2 shots

Darth_ToMeR
10-01-2004, 04:33 PM
looks like the texture of the armor´s missing, on the last pic? and it looks like you changed the whole look of the troopers.. the helmet looks good, but i dont like the armor on the other 2 shots He still didn't add the armor texture.

T7nowhere
10-01-2004, 04:46 PM
I'm getting closer (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v427/bneezy21/closer1.jpg) and closer (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v427/bneezy21/closer2.jpg). What the deal with the texture is, I don't know. The only things in the override are the helmet texture with .txi, n_storm.mdl/.mdx, heads.2da, and appearance.2da. I changed the "modeltype" to "B" and the head started working. I replaced the two N_SithSoldier with PMBHS under modela and texa.

Update: That's new (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v427/bneezy21/wtf.jpg).

did yopu paste PMBHS in texa it should be PMBH

bneezy
10-02-2004, 05:59 AM
did yopu paste PMBHS in texa it should be PMBH
Woo Hoo! Thanks T7 and everyone who helped make this (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v427/bneezy21/finally.jpg) happen. It's about time! I need to take a nap after this one!

Now, is there any way I can change the texture to a unique one instead of replacing PMBH01 with another file? For testing (the final version will use Prime's textures), I used Darth ToMeR's white Clone trooper armor (PMBH15) and renamed it PMBH01. It worked, but I wouldn't want someone to buy an armor that used the PMBH01 and get the Stormtrooper texture.

Xavier2
10-02-2004, 07:24 AM
Woo Hoo! Thanks T7 and everyone who helped make this (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v427/bneezy21/finally.jpg) happen. It's about time! I need to take a nap after this one!

Now, is there any way I can change the texture to a unique one instead of replacing PMBH01 with another file? For testing (the final version will use Prime's textures), I used Darth ToMeR's white Clone trooper armor (PMBH15) and renamed it PMBH01. It worked, but I wouldn't want someone to buy an armor that used the PMBH01 and get the Stormtrooper texture.
Just name it PMBH97 (avoid conflict with my Jango armor), but make sure to put it in the appearence.2da line in texture columm.

Xavier2

EDIT: Above instructions are for replacing Sith armors. For use with PC and party members it's enough name it PMBH97 and create a custom .uti file for it (in the texture variation tag of your custom .uti, the # should be 97, so the engine understands which tex look for).

*Yoinked*
10-02-2004, 07:31 AM

Dude that looks frigggin awsome, I absolutely can not wait til it comes out, keep up the good work Prime an bneezy! :thumbsup:

Prime
10-02-2004, 08:13 AM
Woo Hoo! Thanks T7 and everyone who helped make this (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v427/bneezy21/finally.jpg) happen. It's about time! I need to take a nap after this one! That is awesome news, bneezy! Great work.

I got your PM, and I will put the files in a place you can download them and I'll PM you the link. Before I do, I will go over them one last time and make any necessary final tweeks. But you will have them by the end of today for sure.

Again, great work. And thanks to everyone here for all their help and insight. This is why Holowan Laboratories is as great as it is. :)

bneezy
10-02-2004, 09:08 AM
Ok. When I added the helmet to the head model, I converted it successfully, changed heads.2da accordingly, changed the "normalhead" correctly, and renamed the head model. Everything works.....except that the head model I used originally (PMHC01) is changed to the helmet as well (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v427/bneezy21/headchange.jpg). The file was renamed to "n_storm" and that is what I put in heads.2da. Why is this happening?

I was wondering if I just listed a helmet model in heads.2da, would it show up? Yes and no (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v427/bneezy21/helmetashead.jpg). Now, I'm thinking I can try to position the helmet higher and try again. I'll look into that and keep you posted.

When I change the "texa" column to "PMBH15", I get this (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v427/bneezy21/headchange.jpg). All black.

Do I even need to change the "race" column and what is "racetex"?

Xavier2
10-02-2004, 09:27 AM
I was wondering if I just listed a helmet model in heads.2da, would it show up? Yes and no (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v427/bneezy21/helmetashead.jpg). Now, I'm thinking I can try to position the helmet higher and try again. I'll look into that and keep you posted.
I tried this in My Boba Fett project. It's not a good solution cuz helmets don't have either anim or a neck to place the head. In this process the helmet will be floating above the body and stuck without movement.

[i]When I change the "texa" column to "PMBH15", I get this (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v427/bneezy21/headchange.jpg). All black.[/B]
If you want the armor to be available to PC and party all you should do is name the armor .tga PMBHanynumberyoulike the game will look for the right texture, provided you have created the Stormtrooper armor as a unique armor .uti file. No need for appearence.2da editing.

[i]Do I even need to change the "race" column and what is "racetex"? [/B]
No need to change this. If you want to make the armor available to Sith soldiers you should then edit appearence.2da line(s) changing the default model and tex columms for PMBHS(heavy armor model) and whatever you called the armor texture, respectivily.

Xavier2

bneezy
10-02-2004, 09:38 AM
Adding a .uti for the helmet and the armor for use by PCs is already done. I did this to get my screenshots and Prime did the same for his (or you couldn't equip them anyway.) Everything we're doing now is just trying to change all Sith troopers (only) into Stormtroopers.

How do I get the new head model to be unique and not change both the Sith troopers and the PC head it was based on?

By the way, doing what I did for one Sith trooper may work, but when I do it for all three versions (N_SithSoldier02, ..03, etc.), I get some funky results. Like some PCs on the select screen at startup appearing as Mynocks and Dewbacks.

Xavier2
10-02-2004, 09:52 AM
How do I get the new head model to be unique and not change both the Sith troopers and the PC head it was based on?
I believe there are two ways to do that:

1. Choose any head, name it StormH or whatever you feel right and Hex edit it changing the entrances for the original head model, then add a new line in heads.2da putting in it StormH, that way you have a unique head, though cloning another game head;
2. The simpler way is just using any head in appearence.2da. I did it before using the disguise property and worked allright.

The process #1 is better cuz you can add a custom face tex to the head, therefore making it even more "unique". i.e. any Caucasian with a mustache to make it diferent to the PC's faces.

Hope it helps

Xavier2

bneezy
10-02-2004, 09:58 AM
I'll try that Xavier2.

Would it be possible to extract the models with Kotor Tool as usual, and hex editing those so it looks for PMBH15 (or whatever the texture will be called) instead of PMBH01 (default)?

Darkkender
10-02-2004, 10:07 AM
OMG! the precision the clarity the the I just:worship:

I want I need I pine I simply must have.

The latent potential waiting to be unleashed by this.

please please please release this soon I don't know if I can handle the tension.

Xavier2
10-02-2004, 10:24 AM
I'll try that Xavier2.

Would it be possible to extract the models with Kotor Tool as usual, and hex editing those so it looks for PMBH15 (or whatever the texture will be called) instead of PMBH01 (default)?
Yes. There are five entrys in PMBHS.mdl pointing to PMBHL01. You can replace 01 for 15. By the way i just thought of a solution for the helmet stuff.

Maybe, instead of replacing the default Sith armor we could give it a disguise property so it could look like the N_Storm line in appearence.2da. Thats the technique i'm using to make my Boba Fett armor (using the soldier model) available to party members and the PC regardless the class, otherwise it would be available only to soldiers PC's.

Of course in this process we need to go back to .uti editing, but using the disguise property without altering any thing else should prevent any bugs.

Xavier2

T7nowhere
10-02-2004, 10:43 AM
Sinse your exporting the helm plus the head from gmax then simply rename the model in gmax. If you hex edit a head to use a new texture you MUST change all referances to the old head or you'll get what you did.

Im glad you got it to work bneezy.

edit: Oh and sinse most of the head is not seen you can delete all the polys of the head mesh above the neck. btw whats the poly count.

Airrazor
10-02-2004, 01:25 PM
of topic: how can you let Gmax export it to kotor files??

Prime
10-02-2004, 01:34 PM
I've gotten to the skin to the point where I don't think I can do much more. I'm not completely happy with it, as it is frustrating that the texture is symetrical, whereas stormtrooper armour is not. But there is nothing I can do about that. I'll send the files over to bneezy, so he can work with the final version. Anyway, here are some screenshots of the final skin (barring any glaring problems later).

http://warpedproductions.echonetwork.net/screenshots/storm11.jpg

Here is the stormtrooper with the Sith troopers it is going to replace. These Sith are the white version I currently use.

http://warpedproductions.echonetwork.net/screenshots/storm12.jpg

FunSolo
10-02-2004, 01:43 PM
i dont know, why your not satisfied with it. its an amazing reskin man, whatever you say. :)

Darth_ToMeR
10-02-2004, 01:49 PM
i dont know, why your not satisfied with it. its an amazing reskin man, whatever you say. :)
Right.

StormTrooper789
10-02-2004, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by Prime in the middle of his post
I'm not completely happy with it,...

Is today opposite day or something? I don't see anything wrong with that picture. :)

90SK
10-02-2004, 08:27 PM
I agree. It looks stunning. Your doing good work man, this will be long remembered:thumbsup:

MTV2
10-02-2004, 08:35 PM
do you have the template for it? if so could i see it?

Doom_Dealer
10-03-2004, 06:49 AM
Yup, id say its brilliant as it is, but i do know what you meen about wanting to make it absolutly perfect, i always have little annoyances about all my mods. Anyway, cant wait for it to be released, its looking awesome.

stingerhs
10-03-2004, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by StormTrooper789
Is today opposite day or something? I don't see anything wrong with that picture. :)

oh, back off a little bit, folks. :p

coming from an artists standpoint, things have to be perfect, and prime saying that its not perfect is justified in my opinion. besides, would you rather have a mod that merely resembles a stormtrooper, or one that is literally the real thing??? the more time spent on it, the better it will be. :D

the wait may be unbearable at times, but the final product will be well worth the wait. excellent job prime, bneezy, xavier2, and anyone else on the project. :D :D

Prime
10-03-2004, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by StormTrooper789
Is today opposite day or something? I don't see anything wrong with that picture. :) Well for starters, things like the "backpack" details. Stormtrooper armour is supposed to have a circle and two vertical stripes. But since the base armour I used has a symetrical texture, I'm stuck with having two circles. To me it looks like he's wearing a tape on his back. :)

Just stuff like that I'm dissapointed with, among other things...

Originally posted by MTV2
do you have the template for it? if so could i see it? I'm not sure what you mean by template. I used the heavy armour model and completely recreated the texture for that (I think there are shots of the original armour texture earlier in the thread). For the helmet, obviously the layout is very similar to the original texture, even though it has been redone. Is that what you are asking about?

Thanks for all the praise, guys. It is always nice to know that people are looking forward to what you are doing. :)

Mav
10-03-2004, 02:27 PM
It looks amazing if you ask me, Prime, I think this is your best work yet.

Doom_Dealer
10-03-2004, 02:53 PM
do you have the template for it? if so could i see it?

I think he meens can you post a pic of it as it looks in PSP, i.e. the flat texture.

MTV2
10-03-2004, 03:39 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by template. I used the heavy armour model and completely recreated the texture for that (I think there are shots of the original armour texture earlier in the thread). For the helmet, obviously the layout is very similar to the original texture, even though it has been redone. Is that what you are asking about?
basically,yes, like when you go into kotor tool, go to erfs, then to texture packs, then ......tpa.erf, then N then the template that you used is what i ment

Prime
10-03-2004, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by MTV2
basically,yes, like when you go into kotor tool, go to erfs, then to texture packs, then ......tpa.erf, then N then the template that you used is what i ment I used PMBH01 as the template, which is under P in the path you mentioned. Again, the helmet is completely custom.

Hybris
10-03-2004, 08:11 PM
Ethier way Prime it looks like Lucas himself designed this armor. It about as near perfect as you can get without being on the orginal design team with a Ph.D in 3d programing, Programing base on the Chaos Theroy Mathmatical Algrthyums or CTMAP, and 3d textuering by svosh.

WARING GOING TO MENTAL OVERLOAD!:Any questions class? Good then please read all 50,000 pages of (Theroy's of Hybris: volume 50 Programing and textureing of high-end matierals useing overly complex math alrthyums) by 6:00 am in the morning that gives you 4 hours to read so no partys like last night.

REBOOTING MIND

DOS OS IS NOW ACTIVE

STATEMENT:Mind will recover in 5 minites so sit down open a coke and wait you mear meatbags! HAHA HAHA HAHA

SHUTDOWN...

GOOD BYE DAVE

bneezy
10-04-2004, 09:23 AM
Everything seems to be coming along nicely, very nice!

First of all, Prime is insane. I can totally understand wanting perfection (at least in what you wanted to accomplish with the back of the Stormtrooper model) with the texures, but WOW. They're amazing! Prime set out to make his own helmet texture so it could be released and he not only did that, but he went and made an amazing armor texture as well. Considering the limited (although not so limited anymore thanks to Fred Tetra and cchargin) resources and methods to make MODs for this game, you have outdone yourself.

Prime, you were asked to make something little with only popsicle sticks to work with and created the Tajma Hall.

Great job!

And for the LOVE OF GOD, can someone try the methods listed here to get a unique head to not replace the model it was based on and see if they work for you. I can't get this right to save my life!

T7nowhere
10-04-2004, 09:45 AM
All you have to do is rename the model and I mean all referance to the other model MUST be changed. If you still are stuck after that, I can help you guys out.

PoM
10-04-2004, 10:13 AM
Looks good enough to be released soon, and the shiny one is best.

bneezy
10-04-2004, 10:17 AM
All you have to do is rename the model and I mean all referance to the other model MUST be changed. If you still are stuck after that, I can help you guys out.
When I go to hex edit the model, I'm not sure if I'm changing the texture or the model name (by accident of course.) The "model" name and "texture" name are the SAME. I can' tell which I'm changing. When I change them, KotOR crashes. By the way, do I need to hex edit the model when it is in "ascii" format?

By the way T7, I can send you the files I'm working with right now if you want to see if you can get them to work. PM me and let me know.

Xavier2
10-04-2004, 10:21 AM
I tried the disguise effect i sugested Bneezy, but it works for the body not for the head. I guess the better think to do is go back to editing the Sith soldiers .utc files.

As i said before, you can replace sith appearence in appearence.2da and heads.2da. I tried the same for my Boba Fett project and tried again for the stormtroopers file you sent me. Teh biggest problem is:

Replacing an default apperarence wiil place another body and another head in the character. Its easy enoudh to make the heavy armor model be the new Sith body, but it's not easy to make the helmet turn into a head, since heads need anim and helmets don't have them.

Unless...I have seen an interesting head model that seems to be only a skeleton of a head. I couldn't find where it belongs. If somebody could tell me what's it for, maybe i'll try a couple things when i get home, later.

Xavier2

bneezy
10-04-2004, 10:36 AM
Yes! Why didn't I think of that? PMBH02. The skeleton head you were referring to. It worked! Great thinking Xavier2!

T7, I still want to find out what the heck is my problem when hex editing the head model. I've sent the files over.

Prime
10-04-2004, 11:45 AM
Great to see that you are making such great progress, bneezy. And I'm very happy that you love the armour. :)

bneezy
10-05-2004, 07:53 AM
What is a good hex editor to use? I've got Hex Workshop 4.2, but my models keep crashing. What do you use, T7? And when you save them, do you need to do anything special?

Xavier2
10-05-2004, 08:08 AM
What is a good hex editor to use? I've got Hex Workshop 4.2, but my models keep crashing. What do you use, T7? And when you save them, do you need to do anything special?
I use Hexeplorer. You can find the link in Kitty Kitty thread. It's fair and simple and has a good find function that allows you to find all entrys at the same time and edit one by one. Don't know if its the best though.

Xavier2

Darth333
10-05-2004, 08:14 AM
Hex workshop is the best editor out there. Very likely the problem is not there: you must be missing an entry somewhere. Anyways, if you really want to try something else, you can check the Guide for the Newbie for more options (2 options proposed in the Guide + a link to a thread providing even more options).

Ranis Hull
10-06-2004, 02:04 PM
your armer is awesome. cant wait for it to be releaced for download.

keep up the good work yall. :drop2: :mauls: :wan: :duel: :lsduel:

Darth_ToMeR
10-06-2004, 03:07 PM
When do you think you'll finish this mod? Not exact date but in less than a week?
I want to play one more time with classic SW movies feeling.
I'm working on Movies music mod, it will replace some music from the game by music from the Movies.
I think this mod will fit well to mine and the Boba Fett mod.

FunSolo
10-06-2004, 04:12 PM
can you give me a (no fixed) release date (this week? next? next month?) for the music please and tell more about it, like what music you use, tomer?

Darth_ToMeR
10-07-2004, 02:17 AM
can you give me a (no fixed) release date (this week? next? next month?) for the music please and tell more about it, like what music you use, tomer?
I think i'll release it in a week.
I'm using music from the movies. What you hear in the movies, you'll hear in the game (like in the Cantina, you'll hear the music from ANH in the Cantina). But i wont replace all the music, because then the mod will be too big.

Achilles
10-07-2004, 03:05 AM
I think i'll release it in a week.
I'm using music from the movies. What you hear in the movies, you'll hear in the game (like in the Cantina, you'll hear the music from ANH in the Cantina). But i wont replace all the music, because then the mod will be too big. Hey guys, can I politely ask that you not hijack Prime's thread. This really should be about his mod :D

TIA!

DarkLord Re\/an
10-07-2004, 08:06 AM
i only have one thing to say ":drop2:" im done. o and also sweet work prime, keep it up

MTV2
10-07-2004, 04:32 PM
Whos the one making the mod here?? Is bneezy making, Prime making one, or both???

Well whoever is making it, i was just wondering how far you are

DarthBuzzard
10-07-2004, 04:41 PM
One is doing skins (Prime) and one is doing replacement/scripting (Bneezy).

I think (just a guess since prime has the model perfected) is that it will come out in 1-2 weeks max maybe.

:D

DarkLord Re\/an
10-07-2004, 11:34 PM
I'm thinking of having a negative "to hit" modifier. :)

i know this is an old post but its strange how in some games. lets take the jedi knight II series, all the stormtroopers in that series are stupidly BAD they cant aim or anything then compare it with stormtroopers in Starwars Galaxies, they have good aiming and are strong.. whats with that?

bneezy
10-08-2004, 07:13 AM
Woo Hoo! It looks like my problem hex editing the models was not the programs, but my choice of names. Thanks so much, T7!

Prime
10-08-2004, 07:26 AM
Excellent. It looks like everything is coming together. :)

sithchick
10-08-2004, 07:36 AM
great work as ever prime and u too bneezy

MTV2
10-08-2004, 07:40 AM
Excellent. It looks like everything is coming together. :)
Sounds good, cant wait:)

bneezy
10-08-2004, 09:03 AM
"W00T!" as the kids say. Everything on my end is completed. All that is left is the readme and possibly a new "Sith Disguise" icon. Great work, Prime! And thanks a lot, T7.

stingerhs
10-08-2004, 09:19 AM
umm, just a quick question: this mod will work with the sith disguise on taris, right???

Harker
10-08-2004, 09:27 AM
To confirm... this new skin/uniform has the helmet as a seperate item?

Oh- and friggin awesome work as well!!!!

bneezy
10-08-2004, 09:31 AM
Yes, the disguise works on taris with no problem.

I'm working on the .UTI's now to make the armor useable by PC's. Yes, Helmet and Armor will be useable individually.

There should be (correct me if I'm wrong, Prime) two sets of files:

1. Set to change Sith troopers into Stormtroopers.

2. Set to make Stormtrooper armor (helmet and armor) useable by PC's.

UPDATE: Here's the thing: If the helmet and armor are going to be useable individually, the helmet is going to be larger than the one on the Sith troopers (Stormtroopers). This is to ensure that it fits most if not all PC heads. The other option is to have the armor useable on it's own and require the PC to have the armor equipped in order to use the helmet. This way, the helmet can have a disguise property that gives you the full Stormtrooper model as seen on the Sith trooper (smaller helmet). Honestly, what the hell else are you going to wear that monstrous thing with?

Both will use the same textures.

Prime: PM stats for the helmet and armor.

Prime
10-08-2004, 10:14 AM
All that is left is the readme and possibly a new "Sith Disguise" icon. I can do those up. I send them to you when they are completed.

There should (correct me if I'm wrong, Prime) two sets of files:

1. Set to change Sith troopers into Stormtroopers.

2. Set to make Stormtrooper armor (helmet and armor) useable by PC's.

Prime: PM stats for the helmet and armor. Yep, that sounds good.

Harker
10-08-2004, 10:25 AM
well, quite franly, I was hoping that the helmet could be a seperate item. Per my request on the mod request thread, I seek to have more Helmets in the game.

Honestly, my hope was to see sith trooper outfits replaced by this mod, but have the helmet and armor for the PC to be seperate. This way, I could reskin the helmet for myself and have it fit with my costume better (it's beggin for a helmet!) And if they were seperate, my reskin of the seperate helmet would NOT effect the full armor of the sith troopers (wierd to have a white body and then some rather extravagantly colored helmet.)

bneezy
10-08-2004, 10:28 AM
And how do you get around replacing the PMBH01 with the Stormtrooper texture and not having the "Heavy Battle Armor" look like a Stormtrooper? You don't! You make g_a_class9001 the new Stormtrooper armor and you make up some BS like:

"The armor(helmet) recovered from a dead Imperial Stormtrooper. Since the previous owner no longer had any use for it, some entrepreneurs took it upon themselves to make it available for a price. Eventhough possesion of such an/a armor/helmet is punishable by death (or worse), it is still a hot commodity to those with dislike for the Empire."

Then you give it a "premium" price. Now obviously, those are two different descriptions for the helmet and armor as one to save typing.

Q: Why don't you just change the texture variation of "g_a_class9001" to "2" and avoid all that.

A: Tried that. It messes with the "Sith Disguise" for some reason.

UPDATE: Harker, both versions can be included with the option of choosing which to install. There will not be any scripting the PC useable armor pieces into the game early on. If you want them, use cheats or wait until you get to the Leviathan.

Harker
10-08-2004, 10:43 AM
Ahh... so if I replace the sith troopers with this, I can't retexture the helmet alone or it will effect them as well (so much for cake and eating it too! ;) )

Oh well- I look forward to this none-the-less!

Harker
10-08-2004, 10:45 AM
UPDATE: Here's the thing: If the helmet and armor are going to be useable individually, the helmet is going to be larger than the one on the Sith troopers (Stormtroopers). This is to ensure that it fits most if not all PC heads. The other option is to have the armor useable on it's own and require the PC to have the armor equipped in order to use the helmet. This way, the helmet can have a disguise property that gives you the full Stormtrooper model as seen on the Sith trooper (smaller helmet). Honestly, what the hell else are you going to wear that monstrous thing with?

Prime: PM stats for the helmet and armor. [/B]

Will it be the size of Orsan's boba fett helmet? No offense to him in the least, I just don't want to look like a bobble-head stormtrooper ;)

bneezy
10-08-2004, 10:58 AM
My trial for Photoshop CS expired, so I can't post any new screenshots until I get it downloaded again (which, by the looks of things, will be a while).

When I get it working I'll post a size reference: HERE.

Or Prime could use the files I sent him to post one if he has time.

Ahh... so if I replace the sith troopers with this, I can't retexture the helmet alone or it will effect them as well (so much for cake and eating it too! )
Not unless you loaded the helmet into gmax and added your custom texture to it. You would then have to create an new .UTI for the helmet. Not that hard really.

UPDATE: Coudn't they just hex edit the model and replace the helmet texture with the name of the custom one? Then make the helmet unique by changing the model name and making a new .UTI?

Prime
10-09-2004, 05:54 PM
Just an update, but we are doing a bit of beta testing right now to confirm that we have rectified an issue we were seeing. Then there are just a few final things to do like finish the readme and icons. It shouldn't be too long now, I hope. :)

FunSolo
10-09-2004, 08:06 PM
yeah *bouncin around like usher* *lol*

Mono_Giganto
10-10-2004, 05:07 PM
You guys are doing a great job, Stormtroopers rock.

Are you planning on converting Hap's E-11 or the Raven one? Assuming you're converting one of them. :D

Prime
10-11-2004, 08:54 PM
I need some help from all you scripting gurus. :D I'm still trying to replace the sith troopers with stormtroopers but I'm still getting some anomilies in certain areas. In some places the troopers are not spawning correctly and are invisible. They still seem to react the same (attacking or whatever), but you can't see them. I am trying to use a method suggested by Darth333, which is as follows:

"1. For each module where there is a sith trooper you want to change into a stormtrooper, open the .are file to identify the script in the OnEnter field. Note the name down (we only need the name of the script)

For example, for the tar_m02ac module, the OnEnter script is k_ptar_a02ac_en.ncs

2. Go to the .ncs files for the module, and extract the script that was in the OnEnter filed in the .are file.

to follow our example, you would extract k_ptar_a02ac_en.ncs

3. rename the script to whatever you want. I chose stormtroop3.ncs

4. Open notepad and paste the following script:

void main ()
{
//get the tags of all the troopers in the module. If you miss one, the game can crash
//there is one new ovject per tags
object oNPC1 = GetObjectByTag("tar02_canttrooper");
object oNPC2 = GetObjectByTag("SithPatrol023");
object oNPC3 = GetObjectByTag("SithPatrol022");
//now identify the item you want to unequip
object oArmor1 = GetItemInSlot(INVENTORY_SLOT_BODY,oNPC1);
object oArmor2 = GetItemInSlot(INVENTORY_SLOT_BODY,oNPC2);
object oArmor3 = GetItemInSlot(INVENTORY_SLOT_BODY,oNPC3);
//and unequip it
AssignCommand(oNPC1, ActionUnequipItem(oArmor1, TRUE));
AssignCommand(oNPC2, ActionUnequipItem(oArmor2, TRUE));
AssignCommand(oNPC3, ActionUnequipItem(oArmor3, TRUE));
//execute the orginal OnEnter script htat we have renamed
ExecuteScript("stormtroop3", GetModule());
}

5. save your script with the same name as the original OnEnter Script, in this case, it would be k_ptar_a02ac_en.nss

6. Compile your script"
Does anyone know why this would work for some modules but not for others? Are there some extra scripts or something that are executed when certain modules are loaded? This problem seems to happen in the modules for the Leviathan, Sith bases on Taris and Manaan, and the Star Forge.

Also, a couple of modules don't seem to have an OnEntry script at all. I tried to get these modules to execute a custom script by adding the script name to the OnEntry line in the .are file and putting both files in the Override directory, but without success.

Anyone have some ideas why I am seeing this? :confused:

Darth333
10-11-2004, 09:37 PM
For the invisible npcs, it was a simple issue with duplicate tags, the script would only check for one object. Check your PMs, problem has been addressed, thanks to tk102.

Prime
10-11-2004, 10:15 PM
Thanks. :) I'll take a look...

Darth_ToMeR
10-15-2004, 01:43 PM
Is there any new progress?

Prime
10-15-2004, 11:02 PM
Is there any new progress? To be honest, we've hit a bit of a snag. The scripting required to replace all the Sith troopers is a lot more tedious and non-trivial than I had originally hoped. Right now it is pretty slow going. Depending on how much more work it is going to be, I may end up giving up on that part of the mod. But for now, with the great help of Darth333, I'm still working on the replacement scripts. I'll see how things prograss this weekend.

In any event, the model and skin itself are ready to go, and at the very least I will be releasing a mod to allow the player to use the stormtrooper armour and helmet.

I'll post updates as they happen.

Darth333
10-16-2004, 05:54 PM
:headbump the solution was sooooooo simple :headbump We were heading in the wrong direction: I made a 180 º turn and got it working...it was as simple as .2da editing :rolleyes:...I got those scipts working too if you prefer to do it the hard way :p... Check your PMs

The npcs in tar_m09aa were invisible because Lite_Sith_Soldier was not the same race as Sith_Soldier_01 , 02 and 03.

rictus135
10-16-2004, 06:32 PM
Whats going to happen to the red troopers? If you could, itd be awsome to have the red troopers changed to Shoulderpad Stormtroopers, although I read somewhere you can't change only one side of the armor (ie the two circles on the back)

Prime
10-16-2004, 09:38 PM
:headbump the solution was sooooooo simple :headbump We were heading in the wrong direction: I made a 180 º turn and got it working...it was as simple as .2da editing :rolleyes:... Fantastic! That seems to be working great and it is so cleaner than all those scripts. :)

I got those scipts working too if you prefer to do it the hard way :p... Uh, no thanks. That was a way bigger pain than I want to deal with. :)

Originally posted by rictus135
Whats going to happen to the red troopers? If you could, itd be awsome to have the red troopers changed to Shoulderpad Stormtroopers, although I read somewhere you can't change only one side of the armor (ie the two circles on the back) Unfortunately, the stormtrooper texture is symmetrical, meaning that the same thing is applied to both sides of the model. So there is no way to create the shoulderpad without having it on both sides. So that is why I decided to make them all regular stormtroopers.

Anyway, I'll probably go back one more time and make a few last tweeks to the skin and finish up the necessary files, and then get everything together for release. :)

stingerhs
10-16-2004, 09:49 PM
Fantastic! That seems to be working great and it is so cleaner than all those scripts. :)

Anyway, I'll probably go back one more time and make a few last tweeks to the skin and finish up the necessary files, and then get everything together for release. :)

yay!! this means it will be released soon!!! to everyone involved: y'all have outdone yourselves. excellent work!!!
:joy:

RedHawke
10-16-2004, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by stingerhs
yay!! this means it will be released soon!!! to everyone involved: y'all have outdone yourselves. excellent work!!!
:joy:

I agree! I can't wait to have a bunch of Storm Troopers on Taris... that will be so cool! :D

bneezy
10-17-2004, 05:55 AM
Unfortunately, the stormtrooper texture is symmetrical, meaning that the same thing is applied to both sides of the model. So there is no way to create the shoulderpad without having it on both sides. So that is why I decided to make them all regular stormtroopers.

Or could you (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v427/bneezy21/arctrooper1.jpg)?

You know, since we still have HapSlash's blessing for his models, we could probably get this (http://www.lucasfiles.com/screenshots/646822.jpg) working.

Airrazor
10-17-2004, 05:58 AM
cool

Mono_Giganto
10-17-2004, 08:09 AM
Or could you (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v427/bneezy21/arctrooper1.jpg)?

You know, since we still have HapSlash's blessing for his models, we could probably get this (http://www.lucasfiles.com/screenshots/646822.jpg) working.

Yes, these stormtroopers are looking great!

Mav
10-18-2004, 01:40 AM
Or could you?

You know, since we still have HapSlash's blessing for his models, we could probably get this working.

That looks awesome!!!, The ARC Trooper is looking real good.

Sirus Fett
10-18-2004, 09:09 AM
WOW! :eek: looks awesome when will we be able to get the stormtrooper? and also when are u other guys gonna release that arctrooper and sandtrooper?

Prime
10-18-2004, 10:39 AM
Originally posted by Sirus Fett
WOW! :eek: looks awesome when will we be able to get the stormtrooper? Barring unforseen issues, I suspect it will be out this week sometime. But don't quote me on that. ;)

Originally posted by Sirus Fett
and also when are u other guys gonna release that arctrooper and sandtrooper? Right now, it is more a question of if, rather than when...

Mono_Giganto
10-18-2004, 12:15 PM
This is just a crazy thought but what if you made the shoulder pad a "headgear"..... o.O Attached to a stormie helmet....

Sirus Fett
10-18-2004, 01:54 PM
Hmm thats an interesting thought well why dont you just ask the people who made that arc and sandtrooper? who knows they might have even done that?

Xavier2
10-18-2004, 02:11 PM
This is just a crazy thought but what if you made the shoulder pad a "headgear"..... o.O Attached to a stormie helmet....
That's exactly what bneezy did in that pic above. The set back is that, as he said, either i place the helmet and the sholderpad as a head or a helmet. Placing it as a head will make the head loose animations. Placing it as a helmet will make the shoulderpad move along the head anim (like the head clips trough the hood in that maskless Revan robe mod).

The non-anim head/helmet turns out to be the best solution. You know...Who would be able to turn his head with that think on, anyway?.:D That's actually a more realistic move.;)

Mono_Giganto
10-18-2004, 02:18 PM
That's exactly what bneezy did in that pic above. The set back is that, as he said, either i place the helmet and the sholderpad as a head or a helmet. Placing it as a head will make the head loose animations. Placing it as a helmet will make the shoulderpad move along the head anim (like the head clips trough the hood in that maskless Revan robe mod).

The non-anim head/helmet turns out to be the best solution. You know...Who would be able to turn his head with that think on, anyway?.:D That's actually a more realistic move.;)

Yeah I was thinking that too, really, they should be disciplined wnough not to have wandering eyes. :D If my marching band can't move when at attention, neither should Stormies. :lol:

MTV2
10-18-2004, 03:56 PM
How much is left or when is this coming out( or am I behind and its already out?)
cant wait :emodanc:

Prime
10-18-2004, 04:17 PM
I basically just have to write up the readme files, get all the files together and packaged, and do some last minute testing.

Mono_Giganto
10-18-2004, 06:12 PM
I basically just have to write up the readme files, get all the files together and packaged, and do some last minute testing.

Yay I can't wait to be a Stormtrooper!!!

Any chance of an E-11 included I've got to know!!!

bneezy
10-18-2004, 06:19 PM
Hap's E-11 is an original model but it uses the JA texture. No dice. The one Orsan made was a straight port from JA, model and texture. It really shouldn't be up for download (for KotOR, anyway.)

Update: The Clone trooper and ARC Trooper models and textures are by "The Great" NeoMarz1 and the Attack of the Clones: Total Conversion (AOTC:TC) Team. They've given us their blessings for a KotOR version of them. They've also allowed us to do their "Mandalorians" MOD for JA, which includes a Jango Helmet and Boba Helmet. As well as some awesome versions of original Mandalorian helmets and armors. These are all going to be released. Prime is taking care of some textures. Xavier2 is working on some original stuff as well as playing around with the Jango and Boba helmet textures. I'll start a new thread when we get further along with both the Clone troopers and Mandalorians.

Prime
10-18-2004, 08:52 PM
Any chance of an E-11 included I've got to know!!! As bneezy has explained, unfortunately not.

Darth_ToMeR
10-18-2004, 11:12 PM
Hap's E-11 is an original model but it uses the JA texture. No dice. The one Orsan made was a straight port from JA, model and texture. It really shouldn't be up for download (for KotOR, anyway.)

Update: The Clone trooper and ARC Trooper models and textures are by "The Great" NeoMarz1 and the Attack of the Clones: Total Conversion (AOTC:TC) Team. They've given us their blessings for a KotOR version of them. They've also allowed us to do their "Mandalorians" MOD for JA, which includes a Jango Helmet and Boba Helmet. As well as some awesome versions of original Mandalorian helmets and armors. These are all going to be released. Prime is taking care of some textures. Xavier2 is working on some original stuff as well as playing around with the Jango and Boba helmet textures. I'll start a new thread when we get further along with both the Clone troopers and Mandalorians.
And how much time it's gonna take?

rictus135
10-18-2004, 11:56 PM
I know it's kinda late in the production process to change anything now, but I had a thought on the symmetrical skin issue. Rather than having the pattern on the back of the stormtrooper armor look like OO, you could add a line (OI) to make it look like OIIO. Anyway its a pretty trivial thing, but you were the one who wanted it to be perfect Prime. (Understandably of course)

bneezy
10-19-2004, 05:33 AM
And how much time it's gonna take?
Not sure really. Prime is just starting on the Clone trooper armor textures. The Jango and Boba Helmets are pretty straight forward, but the tetxures they use have a funky "pitted" look to them. I believe Xaveir2 is smoothing them out or making a new one, not too sure which. [STGN]Locutus is creating some new weapon models from scratch. Understandably, that can take a while. We'll give you updates as they come. Like I said, we'll post a new thread when they start to take shape.

As far as the Stromtrooper, only very little details remain. The readme (need to be sure to give proper credit and information) and final testing (putting it all together and making sure we've included everything) are all that really remain. We don't want to have to release version 1.0119.022 ten minutes after we post it for download. Prime gave a pretty good ETA earlier. Although, I won't [/Qutote] him on that.

*Yoinked*
10-19-2004, 06:46 AM
Man, I can not wait till this comes out, and bneezy that is quite an interesting picture, the one with the none symmetrical shoulders, very interesting......

-Adam G.

Prime
10-19-2004, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by rictus135
I know it's kinda late in the production process to change anything now, but I had a thought on the symmetrical skin issue. Rather than having the pattern on the back of the stormtrooper armor look like OO, you could add a line (OI) to make it look like OIIO. Anyway its a pretty trivial thing, but you were the one who wanted it to be perfect Prime. (Understandably of course) An interesting idea, but I'll probably leave it as is. I just don't want it look too "bunched up", if you know what I mean.

And the skin is pretty much done as far as I'm concerned. ;)

As for the clonetrooper, it is a ways off, and we'll let people know at that time what is happening.

FunSolo
10-19-2004, 10:16 AM
hm... would they get a moveable head if you would leave the coloured shoulderpads idea? .oO( that sentence sounds strange, hope you understand what i mean :lol: )

bneezy
10-19-2004, 06:27 PM
I dont' think the head will move since the only successful way to add those are to add them to a head model. Xavier2 gave me some tips with the body meshes. I'll see it we can get them to work. I'll post an update when I see what happens.

Update: Here is what I came up with using Xavier2's suggestion.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v427/bneezy21/traskjet1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v427/bneezy21/traskjet2.jpg

1. We've successfully added something to the body mesh and retained animations.

2. The jet pack stays exactly where you put it in gmax. It doesn't have animations. It won't follow the torso.

3. I know the jet pack is tiny. I wanted to try it as quick as possible and didn't resize it.

Any thoughts on how to get this to work?

Crixler
10-19-2004, 08:59 PM
I have 2 ideas...

for the sholderpad u could put it as a seperate file for the texture, like in the JA version...

for the head/helmet idea: set the helmet as a head, but not fully setting it up, therefore it will not show up on the head screen, but having a .uti with scripts, so when u equip it as a mask, it sets it as a head, so it doesn't have the flaws of a helmet...

don't get mad if someone else has already thought of it, etc. cause i don't really know anything about moddeling or scripting.

Xavier2
10-19-2004, 09:08 PM
I dont' think the head will move since the only successful way to add those are to add them to a head model. Xavier2 gave me some tips with the body meshes. I'll see it we can get them to work. I'll post an update when I see what happens.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v427/bneezy21/traskjet1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v427/bneezy21/traskjet2.jpg

2. The jet pack stays exactly where you put it in gmax. It doesn't have animations. It won't follow the torso.

3. I know the jet pack is tiny. I wanted to try it as quick as possible and didn't resize it.

This is a great accomplishment as it is. Locutus is also trying similar stuff. I tried to insert an animated object from other Kotor body model and the result is horrendous. I propose we insist trying to come up with techniques to improve Kotor moddeling and keep each other updated on the subject. Maybe opening a thead about it named "Improving Kotor modeling-post your bad or good experience here".

Xavier2

gsb
10-20-2004, 03:17 PM
I'm just a lurker here, but I just wanted to take the opportunity to thank you guys and gals for all the hard work you do. I'm a programmer by trade, and the stuff you people turn out just amazes me. You all are the reason I'm still playing KOTOR (I don't know how many times. Probably six now, thanks to wanting to try out Redhawke's stuff -- and as soon as this stormtrooper is released, I'll be going at it again). That fact that you are able to turn out such excellent mods without any official support or tools only deepens my admiration.

So kudos, and thanks again for keeping this game on my play list.

Prime
10-20-2004, 08:01 PM
Thanks for the encouragement, gsb (I am a professional software designer myself). It is always nice to hear that people enjoy the mods we produce. It makes everything so much more worthwhile. :)

It shouldn't be long now. The readme is finished and the testing is more or less complete. Just a few last second things to do and then I'll get around to putting it up for download.

stingerhs
10-20-2004, 08:04 PM
It shouldn't be long now. The readme is finished and the testing is more or less complete. Just a few last second things to do and then I'll get around to putting it up for download.

[little kid] ooh!!! ooh!!! [/little kid]

*starts trembling in anticipation*

redphaser
10-20-2004, 08:36 PM
I don't know what to say... this mod is going to rock! I always enjoy beating down a few stormtroopers and now I can do it in my all time favorite game!(until Kotor II that is)

:urpdude:IMO the helmet in and of itself is a work of art. :urpdude:Kudos to all who worked on this!

Hybris
10-20-2004, 10:31 PM
HK-47 Says: Xsided statement: I love to kill all the little Stromtroopers and maybe a dark jedi. How I love to kill!

Translation=I wait for this mod but make sure its a annoncement on the top of the boards.

Darth Straker
10-21-2004, 04:45 AM
Good job Prime

*Yoinked*
10-21-2004, 09:19 AM
*exited nerd voice* Dude, miniture jet packs, my favorite *exited nerd voice*
I kinda like the minijets, I know that is not the final thing and I am glad, though Mono would probably, if possible, plop it onto a Tach and be ready to go, he he he....
:monkey1:
-Adam G.

Mono_Giganto
10-21-2004, 02:12 PM
*exited nerd voice* Dude, miniture jet packs, my favorite *exited nerd voice*
I kinda like the minijets, I know that is not the final thing and I am glad, though Mono would probably, if possible, plop it onto a Tach and be ready to go, he he he....
:monkey1:
-Adam G.

Who told you..... I'll have to resize this awesome little thing in GMAX I suppose... :lol: I could always put one onto a Wookiee too you know....

Prime
10-21-2004, 10:47 PM
Well, everything is pretty much finished. I took a bunch of screenshots for when I post it on Warped Productions and pcgamemods. It is late here so I won't get it up tonight unfortunately, but I should be able to on Friday (if I don't hit the pub as per usual). Anyway, here is something to hopefully wet your appetite one more time. I figure a little advertising never hurt. :)

http://warpedproductions.echonetwork.net/screenshots/b1.jpg

http://warpedproductions.echonetwork.net/screenshots/b4.jpg

http://warpedproductions.echonetwork.net/screenshots/b6.jpg

http://warpedproductions.echonetwork.net/screenshots/b10.jpg

http://warpedproductions.echonetwork.net/screenshots/b11.jpg

http://warpedproductions.echonetwork.net/screenshots/b12.jpg

http://warpedproductions.echonetwork.net/screenshots/b15.jpg

http://warpedproductions.echonetwork.net/screenshots/b17.jpg

ChAiNz.2da
10-21-2004, 10:58 PM
Well, everything is pretty much finished. I took a bunch of screenshots for when I post it on Warped Productions and pcgamemods. It is late here so I won't get it up tonight unfortunately, but I should be able to on Friday (if I don't hit the pub as per usual). Anyway, here is something to hopefully wet your appetite one more time. I figure a little advertising never hurt. :)

:drop2: :drool1: Well....there goes my weekend... :D :cheers:

Ranger Six
10-21-2004, 11:20 PM
:drop2: Nice job !

RedHawke
10-21-2004, 11:24 PM
Awesome Prime! Simply Awesome! :D

FiEND_138
10-21-2004, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by ChAiNz
Well....there goes my weekend...
Same here, I see myself refreshing pcgm's page every 15 min. ;)
Excellent work to all those involved
:thumbsup:

redphaser
10-21-2004, 11:45 PM
:drop2:HOLY MISSING GHOST OF SEBASTIAN SHAW!!!:drop2:

That has to be the best mod out there right now!!

Many kudos to all who worked on this project!

It'll be interesting to see what other things may come.

*Yoinked*
10-21-2004, 11:57 PM
Who told you..... I'll have to resize this awesome little thing in GMAX I suppose... :lol: I could always put one onto a Wookiee too you know....

A wookie, interesting...

HOLY F**C**NG GHOST OF TRASK, THAT IS AMAZING,I can not wait til it comes out, mange takk til meenesker arbeider om det! Many thanks to who ever worked on this!

Darth Straker
10-22-2004, 02:28 AM
Prime you're the man, really fantastic. Can't wait for release, since I reinstalled the game now you've gave me a motive to play it again.

Darth_ToMeR
10-22-2004, 06:07 AM
Can't wait!

Prime
10-22-2004, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by FiEND_138
Same here, I see myself refreshing pcgm's page every 15 min. ;) Don't worry, I'll let everyone here know when it is up. I may end up starting a new "release" thread, so people don't have to wade through all the posts. We'll see. But one way or another, you'll know. :)

Originally posted by FiEND_138
Excellent work to all those involved
:thumbsup: Well, Bneezy and I are "bring you this mod." But we had a lot of help from others around here, especiially Darth333. Please check the readme when it is released...

Originally posted by redphaser
That has to be the best mod out there right now!! Wow! That is very high praise indeed! I hope that this mod lives up to people's expectations (which will be hard from the looks of it :) ).

Originally posted by redphaser
It'll be interesting to see what other things may come. For me, after I finish updating my Jedi robe skins for Xavier2's new model, I'll be working on a Republic clonetrooper. The armour will be heavily altered textures from the stormtrooper skin. Bneezy will be importing the helmet, and I'll be skinning that as well. And I suspect there will be a similar replacement mod to turn all the Republic soldiers into clonetroopers. We'll see. :)

Xavier2
10-22-2004, 10:05 AM
TAN TAN TAN TAN TATATTAM TATATAM >Vader score<

Impressive. Most impressive:vadar:

:trooper: WOW!!

Colma Adawin
10-22-2004, 03:16 PM
Prime, you never stop to amaze me, i bow before you....but then get up due to cramp in my leg :p

keep it comming bud, im eager to see more :p HINT HINT

MattCole

Xavier2
10-22-2004, 08:57 PM

I have. Thanks for your tenacious work bneezy we have:

1. successfully added something to the body mesh and retained animations;
2. The jet pack stays exactly where you put it in gmax...NO!!:D It will follow the torso.:cool:

Look here:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v378/Xavier2x/Jango_fett_Jet.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v378/Xavier2x/Jango_fett_Jet2.jpg

It was actually a simple trick!!!!:) :) :)

Wait for the Boba Fett armor. With a Jet pack!!!!

Prime
10-22-2004, 10:42 PM
Pretty cool, Xavier2. :)

You might want to start a new thread about this stuff, since it doesn't have much to do specifically with the stormtrooper mod anymore...

Colma Adawin
10-23-2004, 12:45 AM
Pretty cool, Xavier2. :)

You might want to start a new thread about this stuff, since it doesn't have much to do specifically with the stormtrooper mod anymore...

@ Prime
very suttle hehe j/k

@ Xavier2

wow, thats gr8, give more details, give us a Trailer!!!! in your own W.I.P. Thread though :D:D:D:D

MattCole

be happy guys (hippe) :ewok:

Mono_Giganto
10-23-2004, 08:20 AM
All of these mods are looking great!

Prime
10-23-2004, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by MattColejk
@ Prime
very suttle hehe j/k :D

I don't really care if they still discuss it here, but I figure it would get more exposure in its own thread.

Colma Adawin
10-23-2004, 12:35 PM
:D

I don't really care if they still discuss it here, but I figure it would get more exposure in its own thread.

hehe i was kiddin bud :p again, F****IN GOOD MOD!!!!

MattCole

Darth Kellen
10-31-2004, 08:24 PM
Thats the greatest thing i have ever seen. great job Prime. If u guys get the clone trooper mod finished. I'll be in sweet heaven.:vadar:

Sirus Fett
11-07-2004, 03:13 PM
Hey great work on that storm trooper but i downloaded it at pcgame mods then played it but the sith troopers have no head? same with sith disguise. also i was kinda wondering what program you used to make that skins?

Prime
11-09-2004, 12:00 PM
No heads? That's very wierd. Are you sure you extracted all the files into the Override directory correctly and there were no conflicts?

Also, make sure you have the latest version, which can be found here. (http://warpedproductions.echonetwork.net/games.html)