PDA

View Full Version : The home computer of the future


Darth333
09-29-2004, 08:00 AM
This is how some scientists imagined the home computer of 2004 in 1954... Just imagine playing KotOR on this :D


http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v144/Darth333/HomeComputer.jpg

stingerhs
09-29-2004, 09:11 AM
hey, at least we'll have a steering wheel for swoop racing!!! :D
OOOOOO!!!! and not to mention we can see everything we type printed out immidiately onto paper!!! whoever invents that would get filthy rich... :p

and all the dials and gauges, maybe we can finally know how hot EVERY last chip in our computers actually is!!! :p

oh yeah, and everything displayed on a color TV!!! brilliant!!! :cheers: :guiness:

Achilles
09-29-2004, 11:29 AM
What if my home PC really does look like that? Does that make me a loser? :)

Betcha a two-button mouse would've rocked his world.

Prime
09-29-2004, 12:44 PM
Frankly, IMO reality isn't nearly as cool as the prediction.

stingerhs
09-29-2004, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by Achilles
What if my home PC really does look like that? Does that make me a loser? :)

that would depend on who you ask. :p

Darth333
09-29-2004, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by Achilles
What if my home PC really does look like that? Does that make me a loser? :)

I imagine that you must feel like flying the Ebon Hawk for real :D You are lucky! The only odd thing is the angle at which the screen is placed...must be hard on the neck :D

stingerhs
09-29-2004, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by Darth333
I imagine that you must feel like flying the Ebon Hawk for real :D You are lucky! The only odd thing is the angle at which the screen is placed...must be hard on the neck :D

in that case, he must be flying it from the engine room. :p

and yes, it obviously does depend on who you ask. :p

it reminds me somewhat of the radar operation center in an AWACS, minus the moniters with the swirling radar sweep. but, that moniter could be used for it...

Com Raven
09-29-2004, 03:38 PM
Lol, will not be economically feasible for the average home...

Almost right ;)

Achilles
09-29-2004, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by Darth333
I imagine that you must feel like flying the Ebon Hawk for real :D You are lucky! The only odd thing is the angle at which the screen is placed...must be hard on the neck :D Neck, hell...You'd probably pull a groin muscle trying to use ctrl+alt+delete.

RedHawke
09-29-2004, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by Achilles
Neck, hell...You'd probably pull a groin muscle trying to use ctrl+alt+delete.

:rofl:

Well actually that getup would really rock if you were playing a submarine simulator. :)

All those gauges people... the gauges, depth, ballast, trim, spin, rinse. :D

Com Raven
09-30-2004, 07:01 AM
Lol, next thins you know, we have a Ubi Soft employee among us, and they will launch a Collector's Edition of Silent Hunter 3 with "special controller".

Tagline: And you thought Steel Battalion was overkill?

Prime
09-30-2004, 07:04 AM
I bet the only thing that gets displayed on the screen is "press play on tape."

Hannibal
09-30-2004, 10:10 AM
You'd have to be an olympic athlete to play any games on that thing. Imagine all the running back and forth you'd have to do to turn that wheel, then flip some switch, the turn some dial. It would look like the hokey pokey.

Hey, it would get rid of that overweight gamer problem. ;)

BTW- this is my first post here in a while. Woohooo!!!!
Finishing school is great. I suggest you all do it(if you already haven't). :D

Darth333
09-30-2004, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by Hannibal
You'd have to be an olympic athlete to play any games on that thing. Imagine all the running back and forth you'd have to do to turn that wheel, then flip some switch, the turn some dial. It would look like the hokey pokey.

Hey, it would get rid of that overweight gamer problem. ;)
Playing video games and doing some workout at the same time - no need to go to the gym - that would be great!

BTW- this is my first post here in a while. Woohooo!!!!
Finishing school is great. I suggest you all do it(if you already haven't). :D
Welcome back! Get ready for the release of TSL :)

Yeah...finishing school is great when you are just finished but you will soon say that it was the good time :D Join the club!

Achilles
09-30-2004, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by Hannibal
BTW- this is my first post here in a while. Woohooo!!!!
Finishing school is great. I suggest you all do it(if you already haven't). :D Define "finish school". I've finished 2 or 3 times...I keep going back! :rolleyes:

Congratulations :D

Aleggy
09-30-2004, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by Prime
I bet the only thing that gets displayed on the screen is "press play on tape."

either that or when u press a button the screen will light up and read the message 'Please do not press this button again' lol

Aleggy
09-30-2004, 11:10 AM
Originally posted by Darth333
Playing video games and doing some workout at the same time - no need to go to the gym - that would be great!


have you played the eyetoy on the ps2

now there's a workout for u thats fun aswell lol

Hannibal
10-01-2004, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by Achilles
Define "finish school". I've finished 2 or 3 times...I keep going back! :rolleyes:

Congratulations :D

Thx!!

I plan on going back myself, in the spring. So I guess I'm not finished either. When I'm finished I'll have 20-30 degrees. :evil6: ;)

have you played the eyetoy on the ps2

now there's a workout for u thats fun aswell lol

I've seen that on tv. Didn't know people actually bought it. I knew it was big in Japan.

Com Raven
10-03-2004, 04:53 AM
Oh, the EyeToy is also pretty big here in europe. Though I think that such "gimmick" games loose their novelty quickly, but maybe that's just me...

Hey Hanni, welcome back, and move that ass of yours to the private staff board at once! :)

Aleggy
10-03-2004, 10:07 AM
^^^^
true i did only play it for the first week then bury it

but somehow when ever i got friends over or we're having a party it finds itself being used again and its surprising how many people will actually get up in front of ur tv and wave their arms around like an idiot

now to be honest when u get told what the eye toy is and how to use it most people say u wont get me on that looking like an idiot

but when u put it on in front of them show them how its done within seconds they are waving their arms and lookin like an idiot with the rest of us

its a lot of fun and dont knock it till you tried it
but it is a bit of a gimmick so once ur tired of it it does sit on a shelf collecting dust

but when the friends come round out it comes lol

RedHawke
10-03-2004, 08:25 PM
:disaprove Come on folks...

Look at all those gagues, dials, buttons, switches, and lights... the steering wheel and the TV too!

Talk about "bells and whistles" ;)

That computer would be perfect for some type of Maxis sim game like Homer Simpsons Sim-Reactor Control, or possibly even Sim-Power Grid Management.

:D

JediConsularAD
10-04-2004, 08:32 AM
why would anyone want a pc like that lol:atat:

its crazy and bassically has no screen:c3po:

Aleggy
10-04-2004, 05:30 PM
you know i think i would like to own a home computer like that i would keep it in a room to show off to people i mean lets be honest it would make a great conversation piece, of course i wouldn't actually use it because pressing a button would probably make the warranty invalid lol

MTV2
10-06-2004, 07:38 AM
My God, they were far off in 1954, too many controls!!!ahhh:eek:

stingerhs
10-06-2004, 09:46 AM
Originally posted by MTV2
My God, they were far off in 1954, too many controls!!!ahhh:eek:

to be honest, i don't think they could even dream about hard drives, microprocessors, or even the good ol' mouse. :p

its actually quite astonishing how far we've come over the last 40 years in computers. microprocessors, hard drives, removeable media (floppies, flash drives, cd-r/rw, dvd +/- rw, zip disks, etc.), color display, games, business applications,........[/droning]

they probably could hardly concieve of the idea back then, much less a computer thats small enough to fit inside a tv (a la iMac). :D

Hannibal
10-06-2004, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by stingerhs
its actually quite astonishing how far we've come over the last 40 years in computers. microprocessors, hard drives, removeable media (floppies, flash drives, cd-r/rw, dvd +/- rw, zip disks, etc.), color display, games, business applications,........[/droning]


Can't wait to see what they come up with in the next 40.
They'll probably be laughing at our flat screen monitors.

stingerhs
10-06-2004, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by Hannibal
Can't wait to see what they come up with in the next 40.
They'll probably be laughing at our flat screen monitors.

i'm convinced they'll be laughing at our massive pc's that take up a whole cubicle, minus the piles of papers....:rolleyes:

...or would they laugh at the piles of papers as well??? :D

JediConsularAD
10-06-2004, 10:10 AM
hopefully vr so we can really become a jedi.

Has nyone seen the gametrac. perhaps they will make a starwars duelling game for that.

MTV2
10-06-2004, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by Hannibal
Can't wait to see what they come up with in the next 40.
They'll probably be laughing at our flat screen monitors.
Ya, the computer will be tiny, the monitor will be like an inch thick, more ram, more cability, and it goes on, and on, and on, and on, and on...;)

RedHawke
10-06-2004, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by MTV2
Ya, the computer will be tiny, the monitor will be like an inch thick, more ram, more cability, and it goes on, and on, and on, and on, and on...;)

*Wishful Thinking* I think computers will be more advanced than that, in 40 years it will be more like;

*The negotiations went horribly wrong, now you are being chased by 2-4 dozen Stormtroopers, you round the corner on the Star Destroyer, right into the TIE fighter bay, you get the blast door closed behind you, deal with the few guards in the bay with a few lightsaber strokes and a couple of displays of force power, you rest for a second... and then realize you don't know how to fly a TIE, you then reach out to an invisible screen in front of you... it becomes visable, you see that you have enough expirience to level up, you proceed to level up taking a new skill level of TIE Piloting... you then rush to the first available TIE Advanced or TIE Defender and make your quick, and now skillful, getaway.*

Then, once you are safe, you save the game, log out, take your neural interface helmet off, and return to the "real" world for awhile. :)

Now that would be cool! :D

MTV2
10-07-2004, 07:49 AM
Like the Cray(or Crey)?

MTV2
10-07-2004, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by RedHawke
*Wishful Thinking* I think computers will be more advanced than that, in 40 years it will be more like;

*The negotiations went horribly wrong, now you are being chased by 2-4 dozen Stormtroopers, you round the corner on the Star Destroyer, right into the TIE fighter bay, you get the blast door closed behind you, deal with the few guards in the bay with a few lightsaber strokes and a couple of displays of force power, you rest for a second... and then realize you don't know how to fly a TIE, you then reach out to an invisible screen in front of you... it becomes visable, you see that you have enough expirience to level up, you proceed to level up taking a new skill level of TIE Piloting... you then rush to the first available TIE Advanced or TIE Defender and make your quick, and now skillful, getaway.*

Then, once you are safe, you save the game, log out, take your neural interface helmet off, and return to the "real" world for awhile. :)

Now that would be cool! :D
:rofl:
thats great

JediConsularAD
10-07-2004, 08:05 AM
future specs:

10000 ghz processor

a terabyte of ram (1024 Gigabytes for the non-technical ppl)

2000 terabytes of hard disk space

Screen : holographic projection unit

20000000000gb super galaxy connection kit (internet) for connecting the different planets

microsoft holoprojection 2044 (operating system)

this would be pretty cool

MTV2
10-07-2004, 03:54 PM
cant they already make a holographic screen?I'm probably wrong, oh well:rolleyes:

Aleggy
10-07-2004, 04:05 PM
i just had a funny thought if that was supposed to be a home computer what did they think the backup drive would look like
lol

Aleggy
10-07-2004, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by MTV2
cant they already make a holographic screen?I'm probably wrong, oh well:rolleyes:

i think i've actualy seen one and i've actualy played a coinop where the character i was playing was a holographic projection

now b4 u ooo or aah at the idea it was s**t so when they design a system you can use on your home computer that uses holographic projections i hope they are a LOT better

MTV2
10-07-2004, 04:16 PM
Behold the Super Computer (http://tore.fotopic.net/c307344.html) this is an actual computer that is worth like 2 million dollars. You could also look here for the cray(aka, super computer) (http://images.google.ca/images?q=cray&hl=en) :D :cool:

RedHawke
10-07-2004, 08:09 PM
Originally posted by MTV2
:rofl:
thats great

:D

illuzion69
10-09-2004, 07:26 AM
The first thing I thought of when I looked at that computer(?) was that it looked like the computers in the fallout games, it just needs a Vault-Tec logo on it :D .

bneezy
10-11-2004, 05:05 PM
It might look something like this (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v427/bneezy21/HomeComputer.jpg).

i think i've actualy seen one and i've actualy played a coinop where the character i was playing was a holographic projection
Hey Aleggy, was that the one with the futuristic cowboy trying to save that woman? I've played that one. Kept dying.

I love how inaccurate future predictions are. Just look at what was based in the year 2000 (http://images.google.com/images?q=The+Jetsons&hl=en&btnG=Google+Search).

Aleggy
10-12-2004, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by bneezy
It might look something like this (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v427/bneezy21/HomeComputer.jpg).


Hey Aleggy, what that the one with the futuristic cowboy trying to save that woman? I've played that one. Kept dying.

I love how inaccurate future predictions are. Just look at what was based in the year 2000 (http://images.google.com/images?q=The+Jetsons&hl=en&btnG=Google+Search).

yep thats the one

i kept dying to but i think that had more to do with the crap controls rather than me being a crap player, and i'm guessing it was the same for u lol

stingerhs
10-16-2004, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by bneezy
It might look something like this (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v427/bneezy21/HomeComputer.jpg).

i've just noticed this, but did you guys happen to notice in the little description for the picture that it is talking about how good the FORTRAN language was????

for those that don't know, FORTRAN was seriously outclassed by BASIC, and later PASCAL. oh yeah, they're all computer languages (for the younger crowd :D ). jeez we've surpassed the programming expectations. :D