PDA

View Full Version : Ally factions playable!

subs0nic
10-11-2004, 04:09 PM
After seeing the success of swapping in Jedi characters ( I had assumed this wouldn't work, so never tried it; but you know what they say about assumption :) ), I tried making Ally races (Wookiees, Ewoks etc) playable - and it worked.

Ewoks on Endor

Ever wondered if the Ewoks could've beaten the Empire on Endor by themselves? Now you can find out. ;) I left wookiees in so there was at least a chance of taking out the shield gen.

Screenies:
Ewok Character Selection (http://img60.exs.cx/img60/9626/ewok_sel.jpg)
Eat stick, trooper! (http://img56.exs.cx/img56/5554/ewok_stick.jpg)
Ewok speeder squad to the rescue (http://img56.exs.cx/img56/643/ewok_speeder.jpg)

Wookiees on Kashyyyk

Load the Clone Wars Kashyyyk Islands map and defend your village against the Seperatist droids! I swear that Wookiee missile launcher is more powerful than any of the others...

Wookiee Character Selection (http://img40.exs.cx/img40/6153/wook_sel.jpg)
Droid go boom (http://img40.exs.cx/img40/4682/boom3.jpg)

I'm going to put this up for download purely because I think everyone needs to hear the sound of 100 ewoks charging to their furry deaths; it's something special. :D

Download: http://jupiter.walagata.com/w/subs0nic/mission.rar

The free hosting server I'm using just now seems to be having some issues with dropped connections, so you might have to try a couple times.

Just back up your mission.lvl as always and copy over with the one in the .rar file.

kingguru
10-11-2004, 04:16 PM
Nice...That cracked me up...the ewok death charge. We need to make a hoth mod with all the ewoks vs jawa and put the tough vehicles on it. What else you dig up today? Jawa with lightsaber , lol.

subs0nic
10-11-2004, 04:22 PM
To be honest, most of my time (after working 10 hours) was spent slugging through sound .lvl files trying to make sense of them :/ This mod actually only took literally 5 minutes - simple mission.lvl change, all the ally units are already loaded there, just need to change which units load for the teams.

Tomorrow I might take a day off to actually play the game :D

Rends
10-11-2004, 04:50 PM
Na, tomorrow you should make the Naboo Gard playable :-)

And i see someone will cross the line in the future and make all those Jar Jars playable too,lol

Nice work so far.

Rends

TK-8252
10-11-2004, 05:10 PM
Arg, I can't open rar files. Someone please upload it in a zip!

I suggest that on the Naboo: Theed map in the Clone War era, CIS's enemy faction is the Royal Guards. Would be interesting to play as the Naboo guards. :)

subs0nic
10-11-2004, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by Rends
Na, tomorrow you should make the Naboo Gard playable :-)

And i see someone will cross the line in the future and make all those Jar Jars playable too,lol

Nice work so far.

Rends

Ask and ye shall receive.. (http://img19.exs.cx/img19/1158/NabooGuard.jpg)

So it's official - I get tomorrow off. :)

TK - www.rarlab.com (http://www.rarlab.com) :)

EDIT: Moderators - just a passing thought before I hit the sack: could we possibly get a sticky thread where we can discuss new info on hacking the lvl files, and other modding info? Would help prevent important details possibly getting buried under 'cool map idea' threads.

TK-8252
10-11-2004, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by subs0nic
Ask and ye shall receive.. (http://img19.exs.cx/img19/1158/NabooGuard.jpg)

Release! Release!

Florihuana
10-12-2004, 12:42 AM
good work subs0nic :)
i'm gonna post a news on We dont care about your site. No advertising. ~Alegis but before i have to ask some things:

i replaced the 'mission.lvl' with the original mission file. is there another way to do that?

the 1st person view of the wookie is too close (in quake its the setting cg_fov :P)

all in all:
not really playable but its funny to play ewoks and wookie with rocket luncher :D
cant wait for your next 'mini mods' ;)

subs0nic
10-12-2004, 12:49 AM
Thanks. :) I had noticed that the first person view for some of these units had a bad fov, not sure how to fix this just now.

i replaced the 'mission.lvl' with the original mission file. is there another way to do that?

Do you mean to remove the mod? This is the easiest way I can think of.

Rends
10-12-2004, 01:52 AM
Thanks Subs,
i realy like the naboo guard and hope to have them playable soon :-)

Rends

Florihuana
10-12-2004, 03:40 AM
i dont mean to delete it. i mean is there a way to have the original mission.lvl and your in one folder? rename or sth...but i dont know if it works

subs0nic
10-12-2004, 03:58 AM
Originally posted by Florihuana
i dont mean to delete it. i mean is there a way to have the original mission.lvl and your in one folder? rename or sth...but i dont know if it works

Unfortunately not at the moment, the original has to be backed up and replaced.

Alegis
10-12-2004, 08:22 AM
Great job. I didn't expect the ewok would be playable at all. Man, cant wait to try this one out

edit: this mod is great experience. Man the ewoks sure are weak (the second ewok class doesnt even have a tribal spear to throw with) but its just ace. You hear all these ewoks shout around you and all bein blasted.

http://members.lycos.co.uk/alegis/throw.jpg
its hard to hit someone, except with the rocks but those hardly do any damage

I tried imperial and its great pistol practice :p but they sure are better in throwing spears
http://members.lycos.co.uk/alegis/spear.jpg
http://members.lycos.co.uk/alegis/dead.jpg

subs0nic
10-12-2004, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by Alegis
Great job. I didn't expect the ewok would be playable at all. Man, cant wait to try this one out

If anyone does manage to beat the Empire as the Ewoks, get a screenshot when the Empire has 1 reinforcement ticker left to prove it and I'll be most impressed. :D

richcz3
10-12-2004, 09:02 AM
That's hillarious. Great job. ... I guess there goes there goes one detail we won't need in an expansion pack. ;)

richcz3

Armydude71490
10-12-2004, 09:32 AM
Stuff like this needs to be done for the Xbox and Ps2 versions!:confused:

The Console versions seem abandonded!

There have already been two patches for the PC version but what have the console versions got?

And don't tell me that things can't be dl on console!

This basically has nothing to do with this topic but I don't care!

Alegis
10-12-2004, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Armydude71490
Stuff like this needs to be done for the Xbox and Ps2 versions!:confused:

You can't modify a console version. Only PC has mods and 3rd party software.

And devs don't release mods like these. Reason PC got some patches is a) the wide public and just to fix things. we havent got any new features yet

Alowan
10-12-2004, 11:47 AM
Nice job, thoug i dident try it, only saw screens, cant really wait untill maps are gonna be made and not replaced..
then we migt see some space maps etc.. like i posted in the official forum..

Would this also make you able to become a jedi... you would satify so meany players if u did that... just for fun..

subs0nic
10-12-2004, 12:04 PM
Originally posted by Alowan
Nice job, thoug i dident try it, only saw screens, cant really wait untill maps are gonna be made and not replaced..
then we migt see some space maps etc.. like i posted in the official forum..

Would this also make you able to become a jedi... you would satify so meany players if u did that... just for fun..

Being a jedi is already possible, but I won't be releasing a mod for it any time soon, regardless of how much people might want it - that is the path of the dark side, young padawan. :)

Rends
10-12-2004, 12:17 PM
Just wonder if it is possible to create an ingame menu so you can select/activate the factions of your choice (Rebels / Ewoks for example) instead of swapping files in the programm directories?

Rends

HolmstN
10-12-2004, 01:36 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Alegis
[B]You can't modify a console version. Only PC has mods and 3rd party software.[QUOTE]

Well, actually, if Pandemic/Lucas would take advantage of the new updated Xbox Live, we could be having modding for the Xbox, too. But it seems they don't know how to do multiplyer to well

:confused:

Hey, my quote didn't work :mad:

shammo99
10-12-2004, 03:29 PM
It might be a good idea to write a batch file for your mods and have it as a seperate icon - that way you can just click the icon and load the patched version.

In the directory, copy the patched file in as mission.patch.

The batch file would read (remember the directories must be the same so a cd directoryname is in order here)
ren mission.lvl to mission.patch
Copy the mission.patch file into \games\battlefront\gamedata\data\_lvl_pc

Jump to a DOS prompt and create the following batch file

cd\games\battlefront\gamedata (or whatever directory u put it in)
copy con playmod.bat
cd data
cd _lvl_pc
ren mission.lvl mission.orig
ren mission.patch mission.lvl
cd ..
cd ..
battlefront.exe
cd data
cd _lvl_pc
ren mission.lvl mission.patch
ren mission.orig mission.lvl

(hit ctrl-z) and press enter

I have seperated each command to show the people who don't understand file structures , they can be joined such as cd ..\.. but thats too confusing for non-dos people...

At least now there is a way you have a automatic batchfile for your patches...

I would like to see a front end one day to click if you want ewokkies , wooketts and jedi-pinkett-smiths!

Niteshift
10-12-2004, 03:53 PM
Awsome job, now is there a way people could start making little tutorials on how to do this :) That would be great.

Kurgan
10-12-2004, 04:33 PM
Yup Nub!

(translation: This r0x0rz!!!!)

subs0nic
10-12-2004, 05:26 PM
UPDATE: I'm currently trying to make Ewok vs Empire more balanced. First up is giving the Ewoks better weapons - so far I have one class that has Rebel blaster and lightsabre, and another that has Imperial blaster and pistol. One interesting thing I found was with replacing the secondary 'throw' type weapon with a pistol - it creates a kind of instant switch that fires off a pistol round when you hit or tap the secondary fire button, a cool effect I thought. :)

The Ewoks still feel kinda weak, although in a game where I mostly sat back and watched, the Empire only won by 4 tickets, so it's just about right. A major problem is still the the name length of the various assets, this limits which weapons can be given to the Ewoks (whose asset names are usually short). I did try working through the file using the info on .lvl files (all 30 or so chunks, manually :( ) and correcting the references to chunk and file size to allow more bytes where I wanted them, but it didn't seem to make any difference.

TK-8252
10-12-2004, 05:28 PM
:( Are the Naboo Royal Guards out? There was a screen of 'em, that's it.

kingguru
10-12-2004, 05:30 PM
I hear you there. the limits so far as simply length of characters , hehe. Hopefully we can find a way around this but getting things to move around on the map and swapping weapons has given hope.... The names are so very long on the cis and rep files though you can give them anything to use as weapons , hehe.

subs0nic
10-12-2004, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by TK-8252
:( Are the Naboo Royal Guards out? There was a screen of 'em, that's it.

I don't think I will be releasing a seperate patch for this. At some point I may get around to making a mod that makes all allied races playable on their respective worlds, and this will probably include weapon mods to address balance issues - if/when I get around to this, the Naboo Guard will be in it.

However, this was really a learning exercise in seeing what was possible, and other things that we have yet to figure out are more of a priority right now.

swbf!
10-13-2004, 04:38 AM
ehm,dude
i dont got game yet,,, (DAMN NOT IN STORES ARGGH!)
but i will get it for 15%of :)
and...i was wanna ask why u dont tell us how u add the weapons !?

because most wanna :lsduel: :duel: :mob:

tommygunner
10-13-2004, 11:46 AM
lol that is funny... i downloaded it and when i tried to open it it said that windows can not open this file:(

swbf!
10-13-2004, 12:10 PM
did you read the instructions carrefuly..!?:)

clone captain
10-14-2004, 11:05 AM
how do you install

TEXVINDICTIVE
10-14-2004, 11:19 AM
I wish I didn't have to work 10 hours a day. :(
It's going to take me a few days to catch up to you guys.

Good job on the modding fellows!!! :cool:

Vinny

DarkReborn
10-14-2004, 11:29 AM
you can do more things ?
example:
jawas replace in mos aisley the pilots (rebellion/empire/republic/separatist)
on naboo replace the vanguard and arc troopers by gungans
on theed replece the good sides normal troopers by royal naboo guards
on kashhyk the vangurad arc troopers by wookies
on dune sea all sides sharshooters by tusken raiders
and more
please

tommygunner
10-14-2004, 12:48 PM
yea that would b cool:jawa

TK-8252
10-14-2004, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by DarkReborn
you can do more things ?
example:
jawas replace in mos aisley the pilots (rebellion/empire/republic/separatist)
on naboo replace the vanguard and arc troopers by gungans
on theed replece the good sides normal troopers by royal naboo guards
on kashhyk the vangurad arc troopers by wookies
on dune sea all sides sharshooters by tusken raiders
and more
please

1) Since when did Jawas fight in wars for the Rebels, Imperials, Republic, and CIS? Considering that they don't have any weapons, they wouldn't be any use. How will you know what team has which Jawa? Think before you post...

2) Since when did Gungans use missile launchers? Think before you post...

3) It's spelled Wookiee, not Wookie. Considering that Wookiee NPC's have no thermal detonators or mines, they wouldn't be of much use. There's already the Wookiee NPC's. Think before you post...

4) Since when did Tusken Raiders fight in wars for the Rebels, Imperials, Republic, and CIS? They fought AGAINST these organizations, not for them. How will you know what team has which Tusken Raider? Think before you post...

DarkReborn
10-14-2004, 01:40 PM
1) the jawas with fussion cutter and pistols
2)the gungans with emp grenades of the republic
3)the wookiees have missile launchers and they do much damage
4)tusken raiders MERCENARIES!!

Edit:the jawas also mercenaries or figth for fear to the sides ging to kill him

TK-8252
10-14-2004, 01:46 PM
1) the jawas with fussion cutter and pistols
2)the gungans with emp grenades of the republic
3)the wookiees have missile launchers and they do much damage
4)tusken raiders MERCENARIES!!

Edit:the jawas also mercenaries or figth for fear to the sides ging to kill him

1) Jawas do not fight for armies, and they do not have any weapons. No pistol.

2) So a Gungan with EMP grenades is going to replace someone with a blaster pistol, missile launcher, thermal detonators, and mines? I don't think so.

3) The Wookiees have no thermal detonators or mines. Need those for the Heavy Weapons unit.

4) No such thing as Tusken Raider "MERCENARIES!!" as you say. And they don't have a blaster pistol, thermal detonators, or a recon droid, so can't have that.

DarkReborn
10-14-2004, 01:50 PM
IS IMPOSSIBLE TO SHOUT YOU MOUTH!!!!!
AND THE ROYAL GUARS IT IS A GOOD IDEA????!!!!

tommygunner
10-14-2004, 05:51 PM
lol well the jawas could have an ionazation blaster or w/e which disables robots so they could b 4 the republic.... but yea i don't think they will fight 4 any1 mayb just for themselves but 4get i said that

subs0nic
10-14-2004, 06:01 PM
I should probably point out this juncture that I tend not to worry too much about historical accuracy when making my mods; whatever I think is cool goes in. :)

I'm sure purists wouldn't like that, but that really isn't my concern. ;)

TK-8252
10-14-2004, 06:41 PM
IS IMPOSSIBLE TO SHOUT YOU MOUTH!!!!!
AND THE ROYAL GUARS IT IS A GOOD IDEA????!!!!

I suggest you turn off caps lock. :)

Flaming Dart
10-14-2004, 06:48 PM
It would be cool to have a CIS vs Clones vs Jawas all out Battle on Tatooine:)

TK-8252
10-14-2004, 07:51 PM
Just thowing this out: if Jawas did happen to fight for a team, they would fight for the Rebels against the Imperials, considering that a squad of Sandtroopers slaughtered a Jawa tribe. :p

Kurgan
10-14-2004, 08:48 PM
Just thowing this out: if Jawas did happen to fight for a team, they would fight for the Rebels against the Imperials, considering that a squad of Sandtroopers slaughtered a Jawa tribe. :p

Unless of course that was a really unpopular tribe... j/k
; )

arachon
10-15-2004, 08:33 AM
Could you make a mod that's replace the hoth and endor maps with hoth and endor maps where the darktrooper and wookiee smuggler has been replaced (with for example the "lost" imperial officer and rebel bothan spy) or vanquished (no darktrooper and wookie smuggler on hoth and endor at least I think they ruin the games on those maps)

subs0nic
10-15-2004, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by arachon
Could you make a mod that's replace the hoth and endor maps with hoth and endor maps where the darktrooper and wookiee smuggler has been replaced (with for example the "lost" imperial officer and rebel bothan spy) or vanquished (no darktrooper and wookie smuggler on hoth and endor at least I think they ruin the games on those maps)

It would be possible to remove both these classes from Hoth and Endor, however I don't think they unbalance the game too much on any map - plus the Wookiee's time bombs are one of the few weapons that can be used to take out the shield gen on Endor.

TK-8252
10-15-2004, 01:47 PM
plus the Wookiee's time bombs are one of the few weapons that can be used to take out the shield gen on Endor.

I have found the Vanguard's missile launcher more useful against the shield bunker. He has more ammo, plus he can place mines at the door to blow up Imperials attemping to retake the bunker.

Pepsi274
10-15-2004, 06:18 PM
If anyone does manage to beat the Empire as the Ewoks, get a screenshot when the Empire has 1 reinforcement ticker left to prove it and I'll be most impressed. :D

Well It was hard But I did it and I have lots of screen shots If you would like to see them

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v178/Pepsi274/screenshot_0009.jpg

kingguru
10-15-2004, 07:15 PM
Guru bows before the ewok leader :o

swbf!
10-16-2004, 03:11 AM
subsonic how u editing!?

Alegis
10-16-2004, 07:12 AM
swbf!, I urge you to look at some topics etc first before you post. All your posts till now were or full with smilies, or asking a question thats answered a million times.
look here (http://lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=138043)
and here (http://lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=138277)

It's not as easy as you may think.

Pepsi274
10-16-2004, 08:40 PM
This is a stupid question but What Engine does star wars battlefront use?

TK-8252
10-16-2004, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by Pepsi274
This is a stupid question but What Engine does star wars battlefront use?

Brand new engine.

sb_gat
10-17-2004, 12:29 AM
I wonder where is the param for factions (not just unit models!) that can be playable.
Could it be possible to play for the tusken raider team on the Dune Sea map? They actually are a separate faction (unlike the ewoks and gungans, which are allies) and can capture command points (yellow colored light).
Is it possible have the Rebel or Imperial (or Republic and CIS) faction switched to unplayable and have the tusken faction in it's place?

subs0nic
10-17-2004, 03:55 AM
Originally posted by sb_gat
I wonder where is the param for factions (not just unit models!) that can be playable.
Could it be possible to play for the tusken raider team on the Dune Sea map? They actually are a separate faction (unlike the ewoks and gungans, which are allies) and can capture command points (yellow colored light).
Is it possible have the Rebel or Imperial (or Republic and CIS) faction switched to unplayable and have the tusken faction in it's place?

The simple answer is yes, it's possible to play as Tusken Raiders. However, it would mean swapping them in for one of the other teams, so it wouldn't really be like disabling one of the present teams and playing the raiders as they are now.

Lost_Prophet999
10-17-2004, 06:00 AM
how do u make this work
ive downloaded themission rar thing but where do you put it???

subs0nic
10-17-2004, 06:03 AM
Originally posted by Lost_Prophet999
how do u make this work
ive downloaded themission rar thing but where do you put it???

c:\...\Star Wars Battlefront\GameData\Data\_LVL_PC\

Backup the original mission.lvl first.

MarcusLeCoy
10-17-2004, 06:12 AM
this may sound stupid, but how do you back it up?

Lost_Prophet999
10-17-2004, 06:16 AM
yeah, how do u back it up?

swbf!
10-17-2004, 06:45 AM
copy it..
:cool:
just copy it make a map ....... backup and place it in that map;)

Lost_Prophet999
10-17-2004, 06:49 AM
i dont get it
so u copy the mission.lvl thing then what do u do

swbf!
10-17-2004, 08:53 AM
yeah copy it Then make backup map;) and place it in that
map ;)

Lost_Prophet999
10-17-2004, 08:57 AM
what map are you talking about?

Kurgan
10-17-2004, 09:51 PM
Copy the file, then PASTE (a copy of the file) someplace else on your hard drive where you can easily retrieve it.

That way when you're done using the mod, you can copy and paste the copy (the backup) and use it to fix your mission.lvl in your game directory.

Get it?

PC: A Rar file is like a zip file, it has to be "de-archived" before you can use its contents. Get Winrar or something.

swbf!
10-18-2004, 03:03 AM
kurgan i cant say it beter;)

maxloef
10-18-2004, 07:39 AM
the naboo royal guard idea was great i would like to see that ingame also that on that map the standard battledroid is back and that the republic tank's are replaced with the gian speeders from the campaign

Agent 47
10-18-2004, 12:01 PM
like lost_propher999 i dont no how to install the ewok mot can someone tell me where to install it to

thx:ewok:

swbf!
10-19-2004, 02:30 AM
i already tried the ewoks sorry their bad:...

Clone003
10-22-2004, 06:06 PM
So when are you planning of releasing the naboo guards?

TK-8252
11-24-2004, 08:14 PM
With the Jabba's Palace map out... are playable Gamorrean Guards possible? :)

dragonum
11-25-2004, 04:33 AM
With the Jabba's Palace map out... are playable Gamorrean Guards possible? :)

Yes, look here: http://swbf.4players.de:1049/forum/showthread.php?p=9278#post9278 its a german forum, look for the second post with pics

If you want the mod, send a PM;)

TK-8252
11-25-2004, 11:57 PM
Man, the Gamorreans are rockin'. They demolish the droid junk easy. I didn't think that being a slow, fat pig with an axe would be much good against real soldiers, but the Gamorreans kick ass! I did four battles as a Gamorrean, and won them all still with 100+ reinforcements left. I think the axe is better than a blaster rifle!

I suggest sending the mod to SWBattlefront.net and SWBFFiles.com. :)

dragonum
11-26-2004, 12:13 AM
I can try it ;)