PDA

View Full Version : Diabetes gene found!


ET Warrior
10-26-2004, 03:25 PM
linky! (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=541&ncid=541&e=5&u=/ap/20041026/ap_on_he_me/diabetes_gene)

I think this is really awesome, and can mean some really great things are on the way :D

RoxStar
10-26-2004, 04:19 PM
:eek:

But...this isn't a cure right? It just says how at risk you are?

Shok_Tinoktin
10-26-2004, 04:21 PM
but knowing what gene affects it is a step towards being able to alter that gene

ET Warrior
10-26-2004, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by Shok_Tinoktin
but knowing what gene affects it is a step towards being able to alter that gene

Exactly! The more we KNOW about a disease the more we know how to TREAT a disease :)

Of course actual cures are still a ways down the road but we're making progress :D

GothiX
10-26-2004, 04:28 PM
That's great news. :)

El Sitherino
10-26-2004, 05:23 PM
HURRAY!
*dances*

Hellfire Jedi
10-26-2004, 05:24 PM
me being at risk of catching diabetes, this is great news. :D

Jed
10-26-2004, 05:29 PM
I think it should be pointed out that this is only Type II Diabetes, not Juvenile Diabetes (Type I).

Nevertheless, kudos to researchers. This will eventually help a lot of older and/or overweight people who tend to develop this.

Now help the kids.

Neverhoodian
10-26-2004, 06:26 PM
That's good news. Hopefully this will result in treatments that will help those 8.2 million people (in America alone) who suffer from it.

BongoBob
10-26-2004, 06:27 PM
Who knows, in ten years we might have a cure for Type II diabetes.

This is very, very good knews :)

the_raven_03
10-26-2004, 07:07 PM
This is very awesome. Hopefully we will have a cure someday and then...

SCIENCE WILL WIN AGAIN!!!

Tyrion
10-26-2004, 08:16 PM
This is good news, my mother this year was diagnosed with Type II diabetes, so hopefully they'll be able to come out with a cure soon.

And Jed, maybe researches are also close to finding the Type I gene...

Kain
10-26-2004, 08:17 PM
*looks at stockpile of Diabetes Missles*

DAMMIT!!

Thats some awesome news.

TheOutrider
10-26-2004, 08:20 PM
Yay now my family who has diabetes has hope.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention ET Warrior:)

GothiX
10-27-2004, 03:02 AM
Originally posted by Jed
I think it should be pointed out that this is only Type II Diabetes, not Juvenile Diabetes (Type I).

Nevertheless, kudos to researchers. This will eventually help a lot of older and/or overweight people who tend to develop this.

Now help the kids.

At least there are guidelines for where to search for Juvenile Diabetes now, though.

JediJohn
10-27-2004, 03:59 AM
w00t go science.

Jed
10-27-2004, 06:15 PM
Originally posted by Tyrion
And Jed, maybe researches are also close to finding the Type I gene...

Aye, well hopefully this might help. In past years research hasn't exactly made much progress on this front.

acdcfanbill
10-27-2004, 06:29 PM
yay, all that much closer to genetically engineered babies :(

Jdome83
10-27-2004, 07:24 PM
me being at risk of catching diabetes, this is great news.
Same here.:cool:

SeleneRayne
10-27-2004, 08:05 PM
There is hope for my mother after all. :)

narfblat
10-27-2004, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by ET Warrior
linky! (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=541&ncid=541&e=5&u=/ap/20041026/ap_on_he_me/diabetes_gene)

I think this is really awesome, and can mean some really great things are on the way :D Yaay! I wish them luck with finding treatments for this and other types of diabetes. I had two grandparents with adult diabetes. They died a few years ago.

acdcfanbill
10-27-2004, 11:04 PM
you cant catch diabetes anyway, you can be born with it or you can develope it. everyones at risk for 'catching' cancer :rolleyes:

Sabretooth
10-28-2004, 03:24 AM
My late grandmother might have been happy to hear this...

But it's too late,
It's too late.

ET Warrior
10-28-2004, 06:16 AM
Originally posted by acdcfanbill
you cant catch diabetes anyway, you can be born with it or you can develope it. everyones at risk for 'catching' cancer :rolleyes:

But you can be genetically disposed to developing it, and if there is a method of treatment that can delay or even PREVENT the onset, then I think that is a good thing.

MTV2
10-28-2004, 07:14 AM
They should kill that gene:mad:

acdcfanbill
10-28-2004, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by ET Warrior
But you can be genetically disposed to developing it, and if there is a method of treatment that can delay or even PREVENT the onset, then I think that is a good thing.

i'm just afraid of where that will lead.