PDA

View Full Version : Just a little longer (election day)

IG-64
11-01-2004, 12:05 AM
Gah, just a little longer. I'm seriously sick of seeing both of their faces, and all this political crap thats polluting TV, the forums, everything. We won't have to put up with the likes of this (http://rightmedia.net/51/373/120x600_ygc_bush_kerry_jw_r.gif) or this (http://rightmedia.net/1/2987/728_90_warp2.gif). Or any other political "funny pictures" or animations, or games, ect. And thank the good Lord, no more cutthroat arguments, and no more hatefull bashing. I'm hoping everyone just stfus about it once everythings said and done, no matter who wins. It would make the world a happier place.

[EDIT] Thx IS :p

El Sitherino
11-01-2004, 12:13 AM
Agreed.

oh and it's cutTHROAT. ;)

Leper Messiah
11-01-2004, 03:21 AM
election day is being keenly waited for in britain, i think the result will come through about 5 AM our time, that aint gonna stop us holding an untold piss up at my uni if Kerry wins :D

BawBag™
11-01-2004, 04:41 AM
Originally posted by Leper Messiah
that aint gonna stop us holding an untold piss up at my uni if Kerry wins :D
OK............ Uni life must be getting boring nowadays.

Spider AL
11-01-2004, 04:48 AM
OK............ Uni life must be getting boring nowadays.Sounds like it hasn't changed at all... any excuse for a pissup. :D

Rogue15
11-01-2004, 06:19 AM
I hope it doesn't last as long as last election. Especially w/all the new voters who are bound to **** it up. (myself being one of them since I've never been in a polling booth before)

LukeKatarn
11-01-2004, 06:29 AM
I'm still to young. :( LONG LIVE BUSH!

MTV2
11-01-2004, 07:14 AM
Originally posted by LukeKatarn
LONG LIVE BUSH!

Bush SUCKS, LONG LIVE KERRY/EDWARDS!!!!!

ckcsaber
11-01-2004, 07:27 AM
Bleh, I have to do this voting crap before work...

ET Warrior
11-01-2004, 08:01 AM
I'm actually pretty concerned about making it to the polls.

I have class all day until 4, and then I have two hours of job training after that. ...and I dont know when the polls close, I might have to skip some class on tuesday to vote :\

Leper Messiah
11-01-2004, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by BawBag™
OK............ Uni life must be getting boring nowadays.

on the contrary, the election fits in nicely with the evenings plans cos there is a rock night on at a local club which does cheap drinks for students so we'll all be drinking heavily and headbanging, heading back via the kebab shop arrive back here bout 3 AM in time to continue drinking and watch the election results, hold piss up before retiring to bed at about 6.30 AM

Kain
11-01-2004, 08:42 AM
I gotta get the polls after Buffy(3pm), but before I go into work(6pm). Just gotta fight off excessive laziness once.

Did anybody else hear that the lawyers who preside over the election are already filing cases and that we won't even know who won until like 3 months AFTER tommorow?

Last time this happened, we got an idiot in office who ****ed alot of the Middle Class into poverty, intentionally drove the value of the American dollar down, gave dozens of tax cuts to the wealthy and big business, created loopholesso big business could send Would-Be-American jobs to some BFE country, started a war on false pretences, got 1000+ soliders KIA, and 100,000 civilians killed...things do not look good.

Redwing
11-01-2004, 09:18 AM
No one is going to stfu about who won till quite some time after the election...

...but at LEAST we won't be seeing those HORRID ads anymore >< XD

I shall be voting for the first time, like a bunch of people here it seems. Go Kerry! :xp:

stingerhs
11-01-2004, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by Kain
Did anybody else hear that the lawyers who preside over the election are already filing cases and that we won't even know who won until like 3 months AFTER tommorow?

Last time this happened, we got an idiot in office who ****ed alot of the Middle Class into poverty, intentionally drove the value of the American dollar down, gave dozens of tax cuts to the wealthy and big business, created loopholesso big business could send Would-Be-American jobs to some BFE country, started a war on false pretences, got 1000+ soliders KIA, and 100,000 civilians killed...things do not look good.
yep, i did. i'm really looking forwards to all the :swear:in court battles over ohio, penn, and florida (again)....[/sarcasm]

and yes, bush hasn't done anything right for the us. which is why i probably won't vote for him tommorrow. maybe the indecisive kerry...... :rolleyes:
why in the :swear:in :swear: can't this country ever choose good canidates????
:swear:

Astrotoy7
11-01-2004, 10:16 AM
I'm still to young. :( LONG LIVE BUSH!

w00t ! LONG LIVE BUSH !!!!! BUSH RULES !!!! I love BUSH !!!

.....oh......you mean George Bush.....well, in that case !!

Boo !! BUSH SuXXoRRZZ !!!

:p

BAH, Im sick of hearing about it all too.....and I aint even a yank,,,

all I can hope is ppl intending to vote will actually get off their cans and go and vote....

*remembers rekevant simpsons episode* :p

mtfbwya

Rogue15
11-01-2004, 10:30 AM
I'm voting for Bush!!!!!! XD

if Kerry wins.....i'll be mad but whatever, i'd like to see if his "plan" works....

ZBomber
11-01-2004, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by Rogue15
I'm voting for Bush!!!!!! XD

if Kerry wins.....i'll be mad but whatever, i'd like to see if his "plan" works....

Same here, minus the mad part. I'm content with bush, I don't really care who wins.

Sam Fisher
11-01-2004, 01:23 PM
MMm... all politics make me sick, especially all the ads on TV in addition to everyones yards, monitors, etc.

RoxStar
11-01-2004, 02:04 PM
Bah. I think we should get the truth after the election and not the ****ed up political version.

LukeKatarn
11-01-2004, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by Redwing
No one is going to stfu about who won till quite some time after the election...

...but at LEAST we won't be seeing those HORRID ads anymore >< XD

I shall be voting for the first time, like a bunch of people here it seems. Go Kerry! :xp: :xp: IS RIGHT! If anyone voteing is really american. THAN VOTE BUSH!

IG-64
11-01-2004, 02:27 PM
Sigh, you people are no diffrent than the ads.

Go Bush! >.>

topshot
11-01-2004, 02:47 PM
Politics makes me feel ill. It's just as worse for us South Dakotans, what with Kerry and Bush trading remarks with each other, and Daschle and Thune trading punches with one another.

As a matter of fact, I don't care who wins as long as they stick to their promises and don't keep making ones they can't keep.

DarthBuzzard
11-01-2004, 03:18 PM
Ugh, as long as the ads are gone, I don't give a damn.

But both my parents are major republicans, so I may be moving to Canada if Kerry wins.

Hockey and Underage beer!11!11!1

swphreak
11-01-2004, 03:36 PM
:xp: IS RIGHT! If anyone voteing is really american. THAN VOTE BUSH!

I'll pass. Kerry > Bush

I sent in my absentee ballot days ago. And Florida is already screwing up.... 50,000 absentee ballots were "lost."

Acrylic
11-01-2004, 04:03 PM
Man, I really wish I was 18 so I could vote.

I'd vote for Kerry if I did. Because Kerry in my opinion is the better man.

And if America chooses Bush to be the president, then the majority of America are idiots. Plain idiots.

RoxStar
11-01-2004, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Acrylic

And if America chooses Bush to be the president, then the majority of America are idiots. Plain idiots.

Not the majority, just the way the Swing State ballots are counted :xp:

IG-64
11-01-2004, 04:31 PM

Thats one thing that differs Republicans from Democrats, Republicans are alot nicer.

Acrylic
11-01-2004, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by IG-64
Thats one thing that differs Republicans from Democrats, Republicans are alot nicer.

Well, aren't you Mr. Stereotypical.

IG-64
11-01-2004, 04:37 PM

Eh, some stereotypes are true. That's why they're stereotypes.

El Sitherino
11-01-2004, 06:17 PM
Thats one thing that differs Republicans from Democrats, Republicans are alot nicer. *giggles* sorry, I thought you were serious for a moment.

Rogue15
11-01-2004, 06:21 PM
http://static.vidvote.com/movies/bushuncensored.mov

XD

stingerhs
11-01-2004, 06:33 PM

how did ya think he got into office in the first place??? wait, the supreme court was the one to elect dubya, almost forgot...

LukeKatarn
11-01-2004, 06:46 PM
BUS HAL THE WAY! TOMORROW THE VOTEING BEGINS! BUSH BUSH BUSH! And if anyone thinks peole who vote for bush are idiots, then people who vote for kerry must be plain down right EXTREMELY idiotic retards.

Rogue15
11-01-2004, 06:50 PM
enough of the name calling, everybody has a right to vote for whoever they want. calling someone a name because they aren't voting for your "man" isn't going to help anything. that my friend, is what assault rifles are for.

PR-0927
11-01-2004, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by MTV2
Bush SUCKS, LONG LIVE KERRY/EDWARDS!!!!!

Word. Too many uninformed and stupid people are going to vote for Bush. People are too lazy as well, and probably won't vote, yet the majority would vote for Kerry, except they are lazy.

I went to this sweet Mike Moore Convention at Kent State University.

Unfortunately, I think Bush will win.

I wonder when I can say, "I'm proud to be an American" again?

:fett:

wassup
11-01-2004, 07:12 PM
Congrats to every first-time voter here. :)

IG-64
11-01-2004, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by Majin Revan
Too many uninformed and stupid people are going to vote for Bush.

I went to this sweet Mike Moore Convention at Kent State

:dozey:

Shok_Tinoktin
11-01-2004, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by ET Warrior
I'm actually pretty concerned about making it to the polls.

I have class all day until 4, and then I have two hours of job training after that. ...and I dont know when the polls close, I might have to skip some class on tuesday to vote :\

You shouldn't worry about it too much, ET. If you don't vote that's no big deal. :p

Originally posted by wassup
Congrats to every first-time voter here. :)

That's me! :)

Leper Messiah
11-01-2004, 08:12 PM

I went to this sweet Mike Moore Convention at Kent State University.

As much as i disagree with Bush and want him out of office, I do think Micheal Moore is a prat.
Farenheit 9/11 was the worst constructed argument ive ever seen. It was a rant, many of the points of which were utterly twisted and distorted, for instance Moore claims that america's poor are being marched off to fight the rich mans war, which is true in itself but its not like thats some big conspiracy invented by the Bush regime, it has been the case in every war since the dawn of time. The poor join the army because it offers pay and oppertunities they may not find elsewhere its not a grand plan to clear out the poor population whilst invading another country. Thats just one of the things i disagree with in that film and i dont really want to go further into what i think was a very poor effort. His books are a lot better but he seems to have abandoned the somewhat more intelligent standpoint he presented in his last book in favor of ranting and raving incoherantly.
I want Bush out for many reasons, and just one of them is that so Micheal Moore will shut the hell up.

TheOutrider
11-01-2004, 08:16 PM
If Bush wins he probaly cheated, he cheated last time too.

Watch Fahrenheit 9/11 you'll understand.

Leper Messiah
11-01-2004, 08:24 PM
Originally posted by JediDüde

Watch Fahrenheit 9/11 you'll understand.

that film should be taken with a serious pinch of salt.

Ive no doubt Bush cheated at the last election, Moore pointing out that transparently obvious (and much better reported on elsewhere) fact doesnt make his film credible. He twisted evidence and the media the same way he criticised Bush for doing.

Druid Bremen
11-01-2004, 08:29 PM

I wonder when I can say, "I'm proud to be an American" again?

:fett:

If Bush wins the election, you can forget about even thinking that, let alone saying it out. 'Nuff said.

Astrotoy7
11-01-2004, 09:43 PM

LOL ! C'mon, all the way over here in Ozstralia even I know how silly *that* sounds.... :p

mtfbwya

Samuel Dravis
11-01-2004, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by Astrotoy7
LOL ! C'mon, all the way over here in Ozstralia even I know how silly *that* sounds.... :p

mtfbwya Both parties have some silly people in them. It's best to stay away from Camelot...

Shok_Tinoktin
11-02-2004, 01:17 AM
Must congratulate you SD, for a very well placed Monty Python joke.

toms
11-02-2004, 04:43 AM
I live inthe uk, and i'm unhealthily interested in international politics, and even i'm getting fed up with the whole thing!
Surely there can't be long to go until we get all this annoying voting out of the way and the legal wranglings start?

Looking in from the outside it is really an odd spectacle.... you have two candidates and parties that agree on 99% of the issues, and a campaign that has completely polarised the whole country. How does that happen?

Its almost like you should just split the country into two (one with all the states that always vote democrat, and the other with all the ones that always vote republican) and then they could each just get on with it.

One thing i do know, if i was an alien or some other sort of external observor and was watching this as the supposed shining example of democracy in action... i would conclude that it was a foolish and unworkable system.

Sabretooth
11-02-2004, 05:32 AM
Although I wouldn't really care, I'm with Kerry on this one. I was with Gore on the last one.

Democrats It Is Teh Pwnage

MarcusLeCoy
11-02-2004, 05:49 AM
If your voting for Bush, name one thing he did right? eh? :usa:

ckcsaber
11-02-2004, 06:11 AM

Originally posted by Rogue 15

http://static.vidvote.com/movies/bushuncensored.mov

LMAO! Bush reminds me of one of my college buddies...

LukeKatarn
11-02-2004, 06:27 AM
COME ONE PEOPLE! KERRY SUX! ANTI HOME SCHOOL! PRO ABORTION! IT'S DISQUSTING! ALL OF YOU WHO VOTE KERRY ARE SICK! All the people who were homeschooled most likely WILL be voteing for bush since he's PRO homeschool. Everyone who hates abortion ((ME! IT'S MURDER)) is Bush, everyone agenst gay marraige, BUSH! ((I don't have anything agenst them, it's just that god created marraige for man and woman, not man and man, or woman and woman.))

ET Warrior
11-02-2004, 06:28 AM
I'm tired of both candidates, and i'm tired of this two party system where we're forced to vote for one of the two idiots or we're "wasting our vote"

If people would stop thinking that they were wasting their vote and get out there and vote third party things would have to change.

I'm probably voting for Kerry today, just because I want Bush out of office, but I really might vote Michael Badnarik, because he seems to be an actually decent candidate. :dozey:

Edit - Luke Katarn, you STOP insulting Kerry supporters NOW.

LukeKatarn
11-02-2004, 06:40 AM
I didn't. I'm saying reasons why people vote Bush.

Alegis
11-02-2004, 07:02 AM
"ALL OF YOU WHO VOTE KERRY ARE SICK! "

I LIKE INSULTING IN CAPS TOO AND DENY THAT AFTERWARDS!!!!!11

If I were old enough *sigh* i'd vote for kerry (I aint anti-bush, just for other reasons...)

I hope i can follow the end on CNN
:)

Rogue15
11-02-2004, 07:06 AM
if you can't vote, your opinion does nothing. XD

I'm gonna go vote for Bush.

name one thing bush has done right?

He's responsible for liberating 25 million people from Saddam, and putting an end to the Al Qaeda in Afghanistan. We're still screwed no matter who wins the election though. I'd prefer Bush to Kerry because Bush is realistic.

toms
11-02-2004, 07:12 AM
COME ONE PEOPLE! KERRY SUX! ANTI HOME SCHOOL! PRO ABORTION! IT'S DISQUSTING! ALL OF YOU WHO VOTE KERRY ARE SICK! All the people who were homeschooled most likely WILL be voteing for bush since he's PRO homeschool. Everyone who hates abortion ((ME! IT'S MURDER)) is Bush, everyone agenst gay marraige, BUSH! ((I don't have anything agenst them, it's just that god created marraige for man and woman, not man and man, or woman and woman.))

anyone get the sense he might be homeschooled? :D
Of course, if people were educated with other people they might get exposed to varied viewpoints and be able to make up their own minds about things, heck, they might even meet a few wierdos like gays before they make decisions about them. We wouldn't want that though would we...

--------------------------

Anyway, the preliminary results are in:
http://www.theonion.com/election2004/images/national_outlook_map6.gif

LukeKatarn
11-02-2004, 07:14 AM
Originally posted by Alegis
"ALL OF YOU WHO VOTE KERRY ARE SICK! "

I LIKE INSULTING IN CAPS TOO AND DENY THAT AFTERWARDS!!!!!11

If I were old enough *sigh* i'd vote for kerry (I aint anti-bush, just for other reasons...)

I hope i can follow the end on CNN
:) That is less of an insult, and more of a trueth. All people who do abortion are SICK! It's murder, and should be OUTLAWED! Even though I'm not old enough to vote, I have to go with Bush. If Kerry wins, I HAVE TO GO TO A PUBLIC/PRIVATE SCHOOL! I LIKE HOMESCHOOLING! DON'T LET HIM BECOME A PRESIDENT!:D

toms
11-02-2004, 07:26 AM
odd then that abortion is legal in most "civilised" western countries in the world (europe, scandanavian, uk, usa (b4 bush at least), etc... ) and is mostly supported by doctors and other people who are generally considered among the older, wiser and more compassionate sections of our societies...
but then i guess they weren't brought up being brainwashed by their parents views and without being exposed to any impartial or wider views....

it is a little worrying to discover that 90% of the carers in western society are SICK!!! SOmehoe i think they do more to help people over their lives than the anti-abortion nuts do...

IG-64
11-02-2004, 07:42 AM
LukeKatarn, for goodness' sake, check your spelling and grammar before posting or you'll make us Bush supporters/homeschoolers look really really bad.

I R IZ HOMESLKOLLED!!11 ARF rfdA RF ARF!!.11@2/?

LukeKatarn
11-02-2004, 07:46 AM
There was nothing about my last post that was impossible to read... Unlike the end of yours... WHich I know was showing what mine are like but it's quite diffrent.

swphreak
11-02-2004, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by Rogue15
He's responsible for liberating 25 million people from Saddam, and putting an end to the Al Qaeda in Afghanistan.

Bush ignored Intelliegence reports about possible terrorist attacks before 9/11.
Bush turns out several trillion surplus into a 7 trillion debt.
Bush anal raped foriegn relations when he said we didn't need the other countries to invade Iraq.
He invaded Iraw for the wrong reason.
He was wrong about WMD.
He's giving more money to the rich.

That's all I could remember of the top of my head.

1 < 6

MarcusLeCoy
11-02-2004, 07:50 AM
I'm gonna go vote for Bush.

name one thing bush has done right?

He's responsible for liberating 25 million people from Saddam, and putting an end to the Al Qaeda in Afghanistan. We're still screwed no matter who wins the election though. I'd prefer Bush to Kerry because Bush is realistic.

i'd like to know why we were in Iraq, the inpectors said there were NO weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, Bush went to war anyway, taking attention OFF of Osama Bin Laden(Who did cause 9/11), then when we caught Saddam, he even said he had none.
;)

LukeKatarn
11-02-2004, 07:59 AM
I think Bush thought there were weapons, they were just hidden. And the reason why Bush went to Iraq was to save all the Iraqis, in my opinion. And Star Wars Phreak, if Bush went for the wrong reason, then what WAS the right reason? NOTHING ELSE! Maybe he wanted to save Iraqis and/or see if there were HIDDEN weapons.

Rogue15
11-02-2004, 08:31 AM
That is less of an insult, and more of a trueth. All people who do abortion are SICK! It's murder, and should be OUTLAWED! Even though I'm not old enough to vote, I have to go with Bush. If Kerry wins, I HAVE TO GO TO A PUBLIC/PRIVATE SCHOOL! I LIKE HOMESCHOOLING! DON'T LET HIM BECOME A PRESIDENT!:D

trust me. Your older self is cursing you for not going to a public school. private schools suck I was at one 2nd through 6th grade, then was homeschooled the rest of the way...i missed out on alot..and i don't have any friends because of it. a high school diploma>GED. at least when you go looking for a job in the armed forces. =\ ah but if it makes you happy, keep being homeschooled...it'll just be awkward later on in life when you get a job and can't relate to anybody you work with.

I already voted for Bush so there's no going back. :cool:

Lieutenant_kettch
11-02-2004, 08:33 AM
looky here, bush never himself said the were WMDs in Iraq, his advisors said there were WMDs in Iraq, don't get mad at Bush for listening to his advisors. If he hadn't listened, and there were WMDs, we would have been angry with him... so he had a decision to make, eithere he could ignore his advisors and potentially have Iraq have WMDs, or he could listen to them, and potentially not have them in Iraq... i think he made the wiser choice, instead of risking millions of lives, he risked the lives of our soldiers, which is what they signed up to do.. when you join the armed forces, you know you may be called upon to protect your country from a threat, even if sometimes that threat doesn't turn out to be real, they protect us from the possibility of a threat, and that is what matters.. so none of this is Bushes fault, he simply acted in the best interest of everyone

Spider AL
11-02-2004, 09:20 AM
ah but if it makes you happy, keep being homeschooled...it'll just be awkward later on in life when you get a job and can't relate to anybody you work with. Wrong. Two of my sisters were homeschooled for several years, it didn't turn them into social misfits, they're fine.

Maybe you were always going to end up the way you are now. ;)

swphreak
11-02-2004, 09:32 AM
I think Bush thought there were weapons, they were just hidden. And the reason why Bush went to Iraq was to save all the Iraqis, in my opinion. And Star Wars Phreak, if Bush went for the wrong reason, then what WAS the right reason? NOTHING ELSE! Maybe he wanted to save Iraqis and/or see if there were HIDDEN weapons.

The reason we went to Iraq in the first place was because Bush said there were weapons of mass destruction. The Troops have not found any. If he wanted to save the Iraqi and steal their oil, he could have said so. If he did, the war would most likely have not worked due to people not wanting to get invovled for such a reason. Instead, Bush decides to lie and make us afraid of WMDs to get us to invade Iraq.

Originally posted by Lieutenant_kettch
looky here, bush never himself said the were WMDs in Iraq, his advisors said there were WMDs in Iraq, don't get mad at Bush for listening to his advisors. If he hadn't listened, and there were WMDs, we would have been angry with him... so he had a decision to make, eithere he could ignore his advisors and potentially have Iraq have WMDs, or he could listen to them, and potentially not have them in Iraq... i think he made the wiser choice, instead of risking millions of lives, he risked the lives of our soldiers, which is what they signed up to do.. when you join the armed forces, you know you may be called upon to protect your country from a threat, even if sometimes that threat doesn't turn out to be real, they protect us from the possibility of a threat, and that is what matters.. so none of this is Bushes fault, he simply acted in the best interest of everyone

It came from Bush's mouth. He had the power to go to war, not his advisors. And he believed his advisors. It may be the advisor's fault, but Bush went along with it, it is his fault as well. I have still not heard Bush say he was wrong about the WMDs. Which his advisors and Bush were wrong about.

Saying it's not Bush's fault listening to his advisors is like saying it's not wrong for the Mob to whack you. The Don was just listening to his advisors. He's not wrong!

Lieutenant_kettch
11-02-2004, 09:42 AM
yes, he had the power to go to war, and yes, it's his fault for listening to his advisors, but it isn't his fault that his advisors were wrong, i would much rather have him do what he did, than have had him not listen to his advisor and end up with them being right, sure, hindsight is 20/20, but he made the best of the situation he was in. if you were a military leader, and almost all of your advisors told you that they thought some country in the world may have WMDs, would you listen to them and take action because they may be right, or would you do nothing because they may be wrong

swphreak
11-02-2004, 09:49 AM
I would have listened to the countless inspections that occured in the past. Maybe even send in my own inspection team to make sure. Going to war over a "possibly" "may have" is pretty drastic.

Lieutenant_kettch
11-02-2004, 10:01 AM
usually, if your advisors tell you something, you listen to them, and there had been numerous investigations, even some that claimed they had found WMDs, so if even one or two investigations say they found wmds, you act on it, because the others could have been bribed or not managed to look in the right spots

Rogue Nine
11-02-2004, 10:26 AM
This is like the bajillionth thread on this topic. Keep it in the Chambers. Not here.

Lieutenant_kettch
11-02-2004, 10:34 AM
gee, niner, seems to me like you are cranky, some people don't visit certain forums, so each thread in a different forum gets different audiences, as evidenced by the vast number of posts on each thread...seems like it's ok to me

Jdome83
11-02-2004, 10:51 AM
Well my family is done voting. Bush/Cheney 04!:cool:

Lieutenant_kettch
11-02-2004, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by Jdome83
Well my family is done voting. Bush/Cheney 04!:cool:

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! at least we know at least one person on this thread is smart:D

TK-8252
11-02-2004, 10:59 AM
LukeKatarn, perhaps you should read the threads on abortion and gay marriage in the Senate Chambers. I read every word of them. Great threads. :)

Rogue Nine
11-02-2004, 11:00 AM
gee, niner, seems to me like you are cranky, some people don't visit certain forums, so each thread in a different forum gets different audiences, as evidenced by the vast number of posts on each thread...seems like it's ok to me

I'm just tired of seeing these threads everywhere. If you want to debate Bush and Kerry's pros and cons, you do that in the Senate Chambers, where you're supposed to. Talk about the election itself here, not which candidates sucks the least.

GothiX
11-02-2004, 11:13 AM
Yay! Let's go disecting posts!

"COME ONE PEOPLE! KERRY SUX!"
Eh, and you know this.. how?

"ANTI HOME SCHOOL! PRO ABORTION!"
You do realise those aren't his only points, right?

"IT'S DISQUSTING!"
Dis-what? Please, if you go post opinions as if they were facts, learn to spell right.

"ALL OF YOU WHO VOTE KERRY ARE SICK!"
Maybe you should reform that sentence: "All of you people who are sick vote Kerry", since Kerry actually has plans that don't screw over hospitals and the like.

"All the people who were homeschooled most likely WILL be voteing for bush since he's PRO homeschool."
Eh, no. Not everyone is homeschooled because they want to. As well, there's nothing wrong with some extra social connections early on in your life.

"Everyone who hates abortion ((ME! IT'S MURDER)) is Bush, "
Untrue. Some people dislike the idea of abortion, yet vote Kerry since they agree with his other points.

"everyone agenst gay marraige, BUSH! "
See above.

"I don't have anything agenst them,"
..but I don't want to see them get married. That is, of course, very logical.

" it's just that god created marraige for man and woman"
Marriage wasn't created by God, but by men. As well, the Bible forbids men to have sex together, when you take the Bible literally, but doesn't forbid marriage.

All in all, none of your points actually hold any truth.

I myself would've voted Nader as a protest vote, and am neutral in these elections. (Although I must admit, I dislike Bush's way of handling things.)

Alegis
11-02-2004, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by StarWarsPhreak

Bush ignored Intelliegence reports about possible terrorist attacks before 9/11.

Really? Who says that? Michael Moore? I smell BS (http://www.bowlingfortruth.com/fahrenheit911/pdb.htm). The rest: true dat.

The nice thing about being semi-neutral is that i'll be happy for the next 4 years whoever gets chosen :p. Unlike most people here that got stereotypes burned in them. People here get brainwashed by the media stating "america is BAD!" for the past decade and "bush is BAD!" for the past 4 years. Ask someone here what an average american looks like and they'll say "dumb and fat". Oh well I manage to live with it.

LightNinja
11-02-2004, 11:45 AM
Gothix is f*cking right, im tired of the ignorants with just vote bush because they just like him more as person than kerry which is understandable for me...Well unfortunatly many stupid ppl has voted to bus like Jdome or kettch..they'd think that war is like playing battlefield1942...anyway this is so sad :rolleyes:

Hope Kerry wins, i've seen a (documental(dont know the word in english)) and kerry have a credible political history, dont know why you dont like it since bush is just a lucky loser

Captain Wilson
11-02-2004, 11:52 AM

So Its Mr Mugabe next is it, im sure Zimbabwe would appreacate it.

If Bush wanted to ' save the iraqis' then why doesnt he 'save' the other people of the world (The answer no HUGE oil wells :rolleyes:) . If tahst your arguement for Bush its a bit hyporcritical as all he doing is becomeing a world dictaor keeping the world in cheak with U.S. rules.

On topic: Come on Kerry :D

swphreak
11-02-2004, 12:01 PM
Really? Who says that? Michael Moore? I smell BS (http://www.bowlingfortruth.com/fahrenheit911/pdb.htm). The rest: true dat.

Did Bush do anything about it?

Originally posted by Alegis The nice thing about being semi-neutral is that i'll be happy for the next 4 years whoever gets chosen :p.

Good for you, I'm happy you're content to watch Bush destroy our nation.

Originally posted by Alegis Unlike most people here that got stereotypes burned in them. People here get brainwashed by the media stating "america is BAD!" for the past decade and "bush is BAD!" for the past 4 years.

So you're saying I'm brainwashed and that's the only reason I voted for Kerry?

Originally posted by Alegis Ask someone here what an average american looks like and they'll say "dumb and fat". Oh well I manage to live with it.

I'm glad you don't care about our nation's image.

Alegis
11-02-2004, 12:20 PM
Sorry, with 'here' i meant here at my location (BE). I'm not a Europian in nationality. Over here people are stuffed with stereotypes.
I care for the image, but here its decided by the way the media presents it and not really what it is about. It will be different if Kerry gets elected, but I guess not for long till the story starts again.

El Sitherino
11-02-2004, 12:27 PM
Really? Who says that? 9/11 commission.

The_One
11-02-2004, 12:46 PM
Basically, the world is stuffed whichever way you vote - it's just marginally more stuffed under Bush, than under Kerry.

What needs to happen before we can even begin to unravel the mess the world is in right now, is for broad US foreign policy to change - which it won't under either of the two candidates.

A complete change in the structure of power within the US and other Western governments needs to happen before we can begin to move forward. Right now, all we're moving forward to is all out war and global destruction - an end we'll reach sooner under Bush, than Kerry - but we'll get there eventually with either one of them.

By voting Kerry you're just delaying the inevitable - we need vast social and political change in order to avoid it. To all intents and purposes, this election is just a distraction from the greater goal we should all be trying to reach.

Lieutenant_kettch
11-02-2004, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by InsaneSith
9/11 commission.

wow, just like the warren report:rolleyes:

seriuosly though, i don't like either kerry or bush as people, but i trust bush faaaaaaar more than i trust kerry. it isn't a matter of who is a better person, because, truth be told, they are equal on that ground. I think that bush has done a d*** fine job given his situation, and i trust him enough to give him another four years of my life. And no, war isn't like BF1942, i know that, i'm not ignorant, i understand the grueling nature of war, i come from a family with many many armed forces personnel, and that is my chosen profession, so forgive me if i support my countries leader, forgive me for trusting my leader, who has done a decent job so far, and has done everything he should have given his situation, forgive me for voting my conscience and for not just agreeing with a movie, or the "popular thing"

El Sitherino
11-02-2004, 01:26 PM
wow, just like the warren report:rolleyes: hardly.

I too come from a military family, and I would never want them to fight in such a BS war. Especially not die in it.

also, I made up my mind well before F9/11.

Lieutenant_kettch
11-02-2004, 01:33 PM
hardly.

I too come from a military family, and I would never want them to fight in such a BS war. Especially not die in it.

also, I made up my mind well before F9/11.

you said so yourself that you though if the current reason the bush administration is giving for us being in war was the original reason, you would support it, i could see, maybe, you calling it a bs war in the beginning, but now, it isn't, you said so yourself

El Sitherino
11-02-2004, 01:39 PM
no, because it's still a BS war, we're claiming to be saving the Iraqi's but all we're doing is getting them killed. It's a BS war, and it always will be.

Spider AL
11-02-2004, 01:41 PM
Lieutenant_kettch, Bush messed the Iraqis up. The fact that he's asking the rest of the world to help foot the bill for HIS mess, doesn't make him good, nor does it make the war that we are still fighting months later, just or cost-effective.

If Bush had just said "We want to oust Saddam because he's an evil tyrant.. who happens to own lots of oil that we want. Two birds with one stone, let's go!" I would have respected him so much more. But no, he lied. His entire government lied, so did mine, and they're still lying their little socks off.

So the reaction of intelligent, rational people would be... to fire them. And hopefully the large turnout in the US will do just that.

Shok_Tinoktin
11-02-2004, 01:43 PM
wow, just like the warren report:rolleyes:

Heh, I stand by the Warren report!

Originally posted by Spider AL
But no, he lied. His entire government lied, so did mine, and they're still lying their little socks off.

Sadly, its hard to find any polititions that dont.

El Sitherino
11-02-2004, 01:46 PM
oh and I've disliked bush since he was the governor of Texas, sorry I don't fit into your perfect little stereotype. :dozey:

Originally posted by Shok_Tinoktin
Sadly, its hard to find any polititions that dont. ahem, politicians.

Not every politicians lie gets 1000 americans killed.

obi
11-02-2004, 01:53 PM
McCain for president!

*runs*

El Sitherino
11-02-2004, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by obi
McCain for president!
I agree.

Spider AL
11-02-2004, 02:07 PM
Not every politicians lie gets 1000 americans killed.Even the liberals don't always remember the Iraqi dead eh. :¬:

Sadly, its hard to find any polititions that dont.Non-issue. Fire politicians that lie, even if you have to fire them all. Voting may be futile, but it can't do any harm, so why not.

Alegis
11-02-2004, 02:25 PM
Watching CNN, had some interesting figures

They interviewed early kerry/bush voters
I'm not sure about the exact numbers anyways

voters for kerry: strongest issues
~30% economy/jobs
24%IRaq
14 health care

bush:
33% terrorism
30 moral values
forgot

% of kerry voters that disagree with war: about 80
% of bush voters that disagree with war: about 8%

terrorism vs economy...

first polls close in about an hour and 10 minutes...

El Sitherino
11-02-2004, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by Spider AL
Even the liberals don't always remember the Iraqi dead eh. :¬:
well if I thought quoting how man Iraqi's died would help I would, but we've done it in the past and they shurg them off as attackers. :¬:
so don't give me that crap

Acrylic
11-02-2004, 03:15 PM

I barely understood that.

No matter how youung you are (I'm thinking you're maybe 14 or something, it's an estimate), they had to have teached you to use paragraphs and things like that.

You don't have to use paragraphs, but at least do a spell check, or SOMETHING.

And, sure, I call Americans idiots if they'd vote Bush, but dude, you're taking it far. If you went to my school and started screaming "BUSH SUCKS! or "KERRY SUCKS!" along with all those other things, you'd get slapped to the high heavens. Be warned, for the real life.

EDIT - Another reason I don't like Bush is because the media doesn't talk about the number of Iraqi's that got killed from the war. I've seen numbers of innocent Iraqi civillians killed during this was at about 100,000 people. I may be wrong, but before saying I'm wrong, gimme proof. ;)

Spider AL
11-02-2004, 03:50 PM
well if I thought quoting how man Iraqi's died would help I would, but we've done it in the past and they shurg them off as attackers.
so don't give me that crap Since when does what the ignorant pro-bush people think matter? Innocent Iraqi lives matter as much as American lives. Lives are lives.

they had to have teached you to use paragraphs and things like that.I don't think his homeschooling is an improvement over state education. What a waste of an otherwise excellent opportunity for personal tuition.

Mike Windu
11-02-2004, 04:25 PM
Some states don't have that great of schools, as someone who will not be named has told me :xp:

I'm all for Kerry.

it's just that god created marraige for man and woman, not man and man, or woman and woman.

Perhaps YOU don't realize that "God" exists only in YOUR religion, which is more than likely Christianity.

Perhaps you also don't realize that not everyone is a follower of Christianity. (or whatever religion the case may be)

If you must throw around religion as your justification for anti-gay marriage, let me state this: as a good friend of mine once said: "Hate the sin, not the sinner."

:)

TK-8252
11-02-2004, 04:56 PM
god created marraige for man and woman, not man and man, or woman and woman.

Just another instance of forcing religion onto others, and onto the state. :roleyess:

I thought we had freedom of religion.

Alegis
11-02-2004, 05:06 PM
Bush is leading

4 states (http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/11/02/election.main/index.html)

TheOutrider
11-02-2004, 05:12 PM
Kerry has 77 while Bush come in close with a 66 electoral votes

Shok_Tinoktin
11-02-2004, 05:44 PM
It's now Bush-87, Kerry-77

Update: make that Bush-102, Kerry-77

Update: Bush-155, Kerry-112

El Sitherino
11-02-2004, 06:15 PM
*cries tears of blood*

Shok_Tinoktin
11-02-2004, 06:25 PM
means nothing, California isn't in yet

obi
11-02-2004, 06:25 PM

No one flame me, for this is my right as an American citizen.

I voted Bush.

Flame someone over their choice of candidate, and you will be punished. Trust me.

ET Warrior
11-02-2004, 06:30 PM
I'm so confused Obi....weren't you sporting a Kerry banner at one point?

Am I thinking of somebody else? Has the earth turned upside down?

El Sitherino
11-02-2004, 06:32 PM
... yeah, wtf, you said you were a pro-kerry guy. :x

*feels betrayed*

HE'S A SPY!

TK-8252
11-02-2004, 06:32 PM
Obi had a Bush bumper sticker on his Jeep. :p

Jed
11-02-2004, 06:33 PM
Obes, you switched at the last minute.

*sniff*

Shok_Tinoktin
11-02-2004, 06:34 PM
I'm moving to a swing state for the next election. I feel so powerless over here.

Sabretooth
11-02-2004, 06:40 PM
Obi!

Come back! Come back!

Oh wait. What am I even doing here?

Right. I support Kerry, though there are higher changes Dubya's getting it again... :(

You Americans need to make me Prez. Free TiE Cookies and Jawa Juice for everyone!

TK-8252
11-02-2004, 06:41 PM
Don't worry, Kerry will get California. :)

obi
11-02-2004, 06:41 PM
I was voting Kerry untill I researched the Issues.

Kerry is pro-abortion. You don't kill babies, good sir. That is a NO NO.

Kerry is pro-gay marraige. Kerry was going to (if elected) present a law that would force Ministers such as myself to marry a gay couple if they came to them. Seperation of church and state? Hello? Weren't people angry about the ten commandments in the courthouse? It's actually a degree of hypocricy.

Kerry voted for the war in Iraq. Later, he said "it is the wrong war at the wrong time!" Kerry was just trying to rouse the anti-war crowd, instead of taking a stand for what he truely believes. He's good at that, that's why he won the debates.

Bush may not be the smartest guy alive, but at least he stands up for what he believes, and doesn't change his mind a million times like Kerry.

That's why I voted Bush/Cheney '04.

Dang, that's a mouthful.

not to mention my gf likes Bush >_>

TheOutrider
11-02-2004, 06:44 PM
I hope Kerry gets California, thats where I live

TK-8252
11-02-2004, 06:46 PM
Abortion doesn't kill babies.

Looks like obi needs to read the abortion thread in the Senate Chambers. :D

obi
11-02-2004, 06:49 PM
Abortion doesn't kill babies?

Um, not to sound rude, but .............wha?

That's what abortion is......a baby murder.....a baby-b-gone.....a bye-bye-baby....a.......you get it.....

TK-8252
11-02-2004, 06:50 PM
http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=132791

^ Zee truth on abortion!

El Sitherino
11-02-2004, 06:52 PM
Needs to read the John Kerry thread, that flip-flop is completely crap.

Noone can force a minister to perform a marriage, not even the church or wedding chapel. What his bill that he proposes does is force states to recognize the couples marriae. I haven't heard anything at all about forcing ministers to perform marriages.

He's not pro abortion, he's pro-choice. He doesn't like it, but he doesn't believe his religious beliefs should be law, because not everyone believes the same religion. That's why he's also anti-gay marriage ban. Not everyone shares the same religious belief, so he can't make laws forcing them to follow that beliefs rules.

Shok_Tinoktin
11-02-2004, 06:56 PM
I hope Kerry gets California, thats where I live

He will. :(

Sam Fisher
11-02-2004, 06:58 PM
I believe the voting will be completely over in about 10 minutes :D

*Does happy dance*

Shok_Tinoktin
11-02-2004, 07:02 PM
Another hour where I'm at. Should be longer in Alaska and Hawaii.

Sam Fisher
11-02-2004, 07:27 PM
I don't think so, my mom says it all stops at 9:00 PST.

ET Warrior
11-02-2004, 07:28 PM
Kerry isn't even pro-gay marriage.

Him and Edwards both say they are against Gay marriage, but for state acknowledged civil unions between gay couples.

Seems that you researched the wrong place obes.

Shok_Tinoktin
11-02-2004, 07:29 PM
It is now about 7:30 PST

Elijah
11-02-2004, 07:55 PM

Watch Fahrenheit 9/11 you'll understand. Bush didnt cheat, thats already been proven as one of moores many lies

This reminds me of elementry school... the one who looses always screams "cheater"

Sam Fisher
11-02-2004, 08:06 PM
Only thing that's different is that they are all adults :/

TheOutrider
11-02-2004, 08:07 PM
Bush=197
Kerry=188

Mike Windu
11-02-2004, 08:15 PM
Man, that is cutting it close as hell. I truly hope Kerry wins.:(

TheOutrider
11-02-2004, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by Mike Windu
Man, that is cutting it close as hell. I truly hope Kerry wins.:( me too, I think he will:(

Elijah
11-02-2004, 09:09 PM
me too, I think he will:( If Kerry wins, I am becomeing an Anarchist.

El Sitherino
11-02-2004, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by ZDawg
If Kerry wins, I am becomeing an Anarchist. riiiiiight, so you'll become a pro-nongovernment supporter, welcome aboard.

TiE23
11-02-2004, 09:44 PM
As of right now, looks like Dubya is gonna win. Not official, but likely.

TiE

razorace
11-02-2004, 10:02 PM
Foxnews has called Ohio, where Bush is up by 100,000+ votes. Looks like Bush wins this one.

ET Warrior
11-02-2004, 10:03 PM
Well of course fox called it for Bush.

I still think it's amazing how they call it so early when they still have SO MANY absentee ballots to count. :dozey:

DarthBuzzard
11-02-2004, 10:25 PM
I don't care, as long as it <censor>ing ends! The PAIN! The AGONY! Anyways, I do believe this election is going to Bush...

@LukeKatarn: You don't know what your missng at a homeschooling man; no friends or anything. Public schools > all.

STTCT
11-02-2004, 10:28 PM
Either way that it goes (GO BUSH) it was still so damn close. At least we can agree that this is an exciting race.

Elijah
11-02-2004, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by ET Warrior
Well of course fox called it for Bush.

I still think it's amazing how they call it so early when they still have SO MANY absentee ballots to count. :dozey: odd, as I just saw several of thier people claiming Kerry would win by 1%... :rolleyes:

Thrawn42689
11-02-2004, 10:45 PM
Originally posted by STTCT
Either way that it goes (GO BUSH) it was still so damn close. At least we can agree that this is an exciting race.

Depressing more like it...

El Sitherino
11-02-2004, 10:55 PM
Any canadians have open boarding for a sad quiet american?

*cries*

Kain
11-02-2004, 11:42 PM
Any canadians have open boarding for a sad quiet american?

*cries*

*joins IS*

I guess it is true: Its a bad policy to change Horsemen in the middle of an Apocolypse...

Redwing
11-02-2004, 11:59 PM
Kerry is pro-gay marraige. Kerry was going to (if elected) present a law that would force Ministers such as myself to marry a gay couple if they came to them. Seperation of church and state? Hello? Weren't people angry about the ten commandments in the courthouse? It's actually a degree of hypocricy.

No offense, but where the heck do you get off thinking that marriage is a church issue? It's completely a GOVERNMENT RIGHTS issue. Ministers do NOT have to marry gay couples. You can get married in a church, and it'll mean NOTHING in the eyes of the state, if you haven't got the license. :)

Churches don't marry people. The state does. Separation of church and state.

Also, Kerry isn't pro-gay marriage anyway. Where exactly did you do your research? o_O

Anyway, in case it wasn't obvious, I voted Kerry/Edwards '04.

Originally posted by DarthBuzzard
@LukeKatarn: You don't know what your missng at a homeschooling man; no friends or anything. Public schools > all.

What he said. I was homeschooled until high school. I don't know how I survived without the friends that I have now ;)

Even if your education is crap. >.>

Elijah
11-03-2004, 12:09 AM
Im a better man because I WAS homeschooled. CASE BY CASE BASIS. Dont Generalize.
I have more friends than most public schoolers, and I have a better education that 95% of the 25 year old population of America, thank you, the end.

El Sitherino
11-03-2004, 12:13 AM
I have more friends than most public schoolers

that's nice, so do I, but it's very uncommon.

and I have a better education that 95% of the 25 year old population of America, thank you, the end.
ahem, "I have a better education than 95% of the 25 year old population of America, thank you"
sorry, was tempted.

Redwing
11-03-2004, 12:15 AM
Hell yes you had a better education. High school only made me stupider. :) (College is better, though.)

It's the social life I'm talking about. Although, at least you have the Intarweb. I didn't even have that. ;)

Where exactly did you get your excessive amount of friends if you were homeschooled? Just curious :)

(And we may be starting to drag this off topic, so...

CNN latest projections - Bush: 249, Kerry: 242. Ohio: Deadlocked. :x)

razorace
11-03-2004, 12:23 AM
I still think it's amazing how they call it so early when they still have SO MANY absentee ballots to count.

They call it based on a mathmatical basis.

Right now, you'd have to over 100,000 absentee/pelminary ballots 100% in favor of Kerry to make up the difference.

That's very unlikely since there's probably only going to be about 10,000 valid pelminary ballots AND the remaining overseas absentee ballots tend to be heavily republician due to military votes.

I find it interesting how different the reporting is on the different networks:

Fox: Bush basically won.
NBC: Bush basically won...but let's wait for the 100% final count.
CNN: Too close to call. Leaning Bush.
ABC: Bush basically won.
CBS: Too close to call. Recount!

DarthBuzzard
11-03-2004, 12:24 AM
It's coming down to the wire; don't pack your bags yet. However, I think that Bush is in the lead to stay in Ohio...

OT and back into education; Yes, you probably had a much better education. However, both schools I've gone to have nationally recognized gifted plans, so there was always a challenge out there. Also, where did you excessive amont of friends come from...?

Elijah
11-03-2004, 12:27 AM
There is a huge music scene all over california. You dont need to be locked in a building all day to meet people and make friends.

And thank you for pointing out my typo, my mind works far to advanced for my fingers to keep up... I sometimes find myself mixing 2 ways to form a sentance into one

Alegis
11-03-2004, 12:29 AM
249-242, 270 needed

Don't try to persuade obi, for it is too late :p

I wonder if they'll throw eggs and stuff this time when the limo goes to the white house...

El Sitherino
11-03-2004, 12:31 AM
I wonder if they'll throw eggs and stuff this time when the limo goes to the white house... I hope so, I need some happiness.

Redwing
11-03-2004, 12:41 AM
Z: That sounds a bit pompous. You're just so intelligent that your fingers can't comprehend what you're thinking? Or do I misunderstand? ;)

And while we're on the subject, I count five grammatical errors, two spelling errors in your last post, and that's while tired. ;)

On subject: I am totally lost on who I think is going to win. The odds do lean a little towards Bush, though...><

DarthBuzzard
11-03-2004, 12:43 AM
@ZDawg: That's like saying im so smart my body can't keep up.

:EDIT:Gaah, Redwing stole my thunder...

Anyways, this thing could go either way...Ohio is probably going to go to Bush but if Kerry wins all the other states it's a dead tie. holy crap. :eek: - however, that wont happen because NM is reporting

98% counted
52 bush
47 kerry
1% assorted other chocolates in the box

so its looking like bush is going to need ohio + NM to wrap this up.

toms
11-03-2004, 04:58 AM
Whoa!!! I have to say i always expected bush to win (natural pessamist that i am), but then the early results got my hopes up... now i'm kind of depressed that it looks like he will win again.

The US seems hopelessly divided between the country and the cities... with one moving into the future and the other moving back into the past.

Still, a few of the stats they brought out in the coverage shocked me. About 40% of registered voters being evangelical? :eek: 66% of registered voters believing in creationism and only 28% in evolution? :eek: It is now rather scary from the outside that the most powerful nation on earth should be basically run as a fundamentalist religious state... oh well..

Looks like the gay marriage thing passed in a lot of the country states as well. Its odd, but somehow i miss the days of freedom and seperation of church and state...

It is obviously a completely different mindset, as religious issues such as abortion or gay marriage wouldn't even get into the top issues that people vote on in most of europe.

Not sure why i am so depressed by this, as i always expected it to happen. but somehow, when watching the results, i kept thinking "surely they can't ALL be this blind!".

If it is confirmed that bush wins then you guys might get a bit of stick from the rest of the world, as the vast majority were hoping for a change....

toms
11-03-2004, 05:05 AM
oh, hang on, we have unexpectedly got a result.... we take you live to the press conference:

http://www.gizmodo.com/archives/images/CNN-Election-Winner.jpg

GothiX
11-03-2004, 05:07 AM
And thank you for pointing out my typo, my mind works far to advanced
Too.

obi
11-03-2004, 05:20 AM
Originally posted by Redwing
No offense, but where the heck do you get off thinking that marriage is a church issue?

People go to ministers to marry them all the time, man. True, they can do it through the government, but most people do it through a church. (Don't tell me they don't, because I know for a fact they do).

As for the rest of the arguements, I'm not going to offer a defense of my part, because frankly I don't care. Bush wins, yay. The guy I voted for wins. Kerry wins, yay. 97% of the people here will have someone new to complain and moan about. I mean really....

And toms, that pic rocks :D

ET Warrior
11-03-2004, 06:05 AM
Originally posted by obi
People go to ministers to marry them all the time, man. True, they can do it through the government, but most people do it through a church. (Don't tell me they don't, because I know for a fact they do).

Well yes they get married by a minister in a church, but that's just for ceremony. If you don't get your marriage sanctioned by the STATE then it really means nothing.

obi
11-03-2004, 07:22 AM
The ceremony, yes. But wouldn't you say that's the most important part of a "union" ? Can you imagine the lawsuits that would come out of a minister's refusal to marry someone because it's a gay couple? It's really something I didn't want to see. Being a minister myself, I would not marry a gay couple, but that's a different arguement for a different time.

LightNinja
11-03-2004, 08:33 AM
I hope not seeying more politic threads about Bush&Kerry since next week....this is just tiring..

toms
11-03-2004, 08:37 AM
surely a religious marriage and a legal marriage are two totally different things?
One is being married in the eyes of whoever is your god (if you have one)... the other is being married in the eyes of the state (for things like tax calculations, benefit calculations, healthcare and dependents, etc...)

I don't know how it works in the US, but in the UK the "religious ceremony" has no legal weight, it is the registration of the marriage that has legal weight. (in general, there are a few weird historical rules). Which is why a marriage by a ship's captain, or at a registry office or whatever has just as much legal validity as a marriage in a church.

As such, i'd be entirely happy for churches to withold the right to gay marriages in their churches, by their ministers and in the eyes of their god.... after all, it is up to them (or their god) what they count.
However the (seperate) legal state marriage should be entirely unaffected by religious matters. It should be based on legal arguments, equality and the principle that the government should stay out of people's lives unless there is a real need to interfere. (eg, banning incest type marriages for reasons of health, etc..)

As such, i don't think there needs to be a national law that defines marriage in a religious-based way. That violates the ideas of equality, religious freedom and seperation of church and state. It should be up to individuals, individual organisations and individual states to make their own decisions.

I can't see how, if i am a happily married christian (in the eyes of church and state) it makes any difference to me that two guys down the road are recognised by the state and so will be allowed to make important decisions about each other if they are dying (for example).

If an ammendment gets passed, isn't that going to be the first ever constitutional ammendment that WITHDRAWS rights from people, rather than enshrining them?

razorace
11-03-2004, 08:48 AM
Let's try to keep this thread about the election please.

Along those lines, as I stated earlier, it's over. According to the news, Kerry has conceded over the phone to Bush.

Lieutenant_kettch
11-03-2004, 09:33 AM
^^^ yeah, i mean, the winner of ohio gets the white house, and i am sure anyone with any common sense can be pretty sure bush gets ohio this time round..

Redwing
11-03-2004, 11:35 AM
The ceremony, yes. But wouldn't you say that's the most important part of a "union" ?

o_O Heck no. A ceremony can be done anywhere. There are plenty of ministers who will. It's the RIGHTS that are important, the RIGHTS that matter. That stuff that comes with legal marriage, like sharing property, rights to your spouse and your spouse's benefits, etc.

Can you imagine the lawsuits that would come out of a minister's refusal to marry someone because it's a gay couple?

Absolutely none. A minister isn't necessary to legally marry someone. Legal marriage is the issue here, not church-validated marriage.

I REALLY have to wonder where you did your research, obes :D

Topic: Ya, I believe Kerry has just finished his concession speech. :/

Lieutenant_kettch
11-03-2004, 11:45 AM
after closing up shop last night, my co-worker and i said that if kerry won, we would both get fake IDs and get completely wasted, and he hates alcohol, but i would have to agree with him on this one

TheOutrider
11-03-2004, 01:50 PM
If we have a draft me and my friend are either running away to Canada or the L.A. Sewers

Lieutenant_kettch
11-03-2004, 01:52 PM
don't be worried about the draft, even if it does come, it isn't that big of a deal

El Sitherino
11-03-2004, 02:19 PM
don't be worried about the draft, even if it does come, it isn't that big of a deal uhmmm.... if the draft comes it is a big deal.

TK-8252
11-03-2004, 02:23 PM
I don't think that Bush would issue a draft. That would just be too much for a war on terror.

razorace
11-03-2004, 02:34 PM
Plus, noone (except for a couple rogue democratic senators) is in favor of a draft, including Bush. Even if Bush changed his mind and tried to get it thru Congress, it wouldn't pass Congress.

Samuel Dravis
11-03-2004, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by razorace
Let's try to keep this thread about the election please.

Along those lines, as I stated earlier, it's over. According to the news, Kerry has conceded over the phone to Bush. Yep. I saw Bush's victory speech when I was at a restaurant.

toms
11-04-2004, 04:46 AM
Originally posted by TK-8252
I don't think that Bush would issue a draft. That would just be too much for a war on terror.

besides, if he does issue a draft here is bound to be aclause where your dad can write you a note to get you out of serving :D

Frankly, although like the rest of the world i'm confused and dismayed by the result, i'm really just glad it's over. NOw we can just get back to the business of laughing at bush and lamenting the fact that religious fundamentalists are messing up the world for the rest of us...

(and playing gta...)

obi
11-04-2004, 09:38 AM
Well, we have a winner, so I'm closing the thread.

Not because anyone did anything wrong, it's just kind of pointless now that it's all said and done.