PDA

View Full Version : IGN dishes all things lightsabers

Rat Boy
11-04-2004, 06:25 PM
Lots of good stuff here... (http://pc.ign.com/articles/563/563614p1.html)

Other than the combat styles (sounds like a lot to choose from), this little tidbit had me curious:

Lightsabers can also be upgraded with new power cells, emitters, and lenses. These upgrades can be found throughout the game, but, using skills, can also even be created! There are more than 60 possible lightsaber upgrades, yielding over ten million possible combinations.

Ten million? Yikes.

DarthBuzzard
11-04-2004, 06:30 PM
Whoa. February is becoming a long time to wait...thanks for the info man, get an admin to change your title to TSL infonater. ;)

P.S. 10 mil? Holy...this is gonna be great!

stingerhs
11-04-2004, 06:51 PM
excellent. over ten million ways to pwn the lightside....
:dev7:

RedHawke
11-05-2004, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by stingerhs
excellent. over ten million ways to pwn the lightside....
:dev7:

I agree! :evil6: And all that before any modders even start adding more... Whoo Hoo! :D

FiEND_138
11-05-2004, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by Rat Boy
Ten million? Yikes.
Agrees.

:explode:

Thanx for the link. :thumbsup:

T7nowhere
11-05-2004, 12:58 AM
well thats all good But they will still look the same :(

RedHawke
11-05-2004, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by T7nowhere
well thats all good But they will still look the same :(
I know, that really sucks, they could at least make different handle models, one for each color or something simple like that... :mad:

EDIT: Unless OE is planning on releasing the saber model format to us for TSL, and they are going to leave the saber handles to us... I know not very likely, but a possibility all the same. :)

T7nowhere
11-05-2004, 01:17 AM
But then if they did that it wouldn't make to much sence. Imagine you change your blue crystal for a red one and all of a sudded you blade changes size or shape.

But then in a way it might be reasonable if you say that you can't change the color crystal.

RedHawke
11-05-2004, 01:26 AM
^^^^
Well the hilt model changing if you change the color crystal is kind of lame, but at least there would be a handle variety of some sort...

:D

UrchSr
11-05-2004, 04:16 AM
We will have a lot to talk about... Like we don't already?

lukeiamyourdad
11-05-2004, 06:59 AM
Maybe I should start threatening OE so they take the two months between X Box and PC release to work their ass off to make different saber hilts.

Rat Boy
11-05-2004, 07:45 AM
The hilts never really bothered me that much, since they're barely large enough to be seen as it is. Actually, with all these lenses, emitters, and batteries, I'd hope that the blade would look different, maybe varying the diameter, shade, and brightness of it to give some visual cue as to how the weapon's been tweaked.

StoneDragon
11-05-2004, 08:24 AM
Ten million? I think that is over-exagerrated, but maybe its true.
But..hmmmm.

Prime
11-05-2004, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by StoneDragon
Ten million? I think that is over-exagerrated Sounds true. I haven't done the math, but the number looks about right.

Who would have thought building a lightsaber would be so complicated?

Venom750
11-05-2004, 09:42 AM
I excited about the new do your think its charater specfic like a watchman gets one and a weapon master get another?

TemporaryTomato
11-05-2004, 09:47 AM
we've also enhanced the effectiveness of fighting with a single lightsaber -- That combat style is also a very viable option in KOTOR II.
YAY!:D I hope there aren't as many dork jedi using dual lightsabers- it looks lame, IMO.

As for the saber upgrading, it's going to kick ass.

lukeiamyourdad
11-05-2004, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by Prime
Who would have thought building a lightsaber would be so complicated?

Constructing a lightsaber was supposed to be difficult. Kotor I didn't really show that. I'm glad it's more difficult now.

StoneDragon
11-05-2004, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by lukeiamyourdad
Constructing a lightsaber was supposed to be difficult. Kotor I didn't really show that. I'm glad it's more difficult now.
So in KOTOR TSl you have to really build a lghtsbr , eh?

FiEND_138
11-05-2004, 10:57 AM
^^
I sure hope so. Atleast more than the waving hands around & poof a saber stuff.

Rat Boy
11-05-2004, 11:12 AM
There is also a personal side quest you can undertake to retrieve your personal lightsaber. No idea if it's more special than any other one you might find, but might as well try to get it so you're not running around without one more than you have to.

StoneDragon
11-05-2004, 11:16 AM
^^
Indeed, amazing. Like when you had to retrieve the sith ligtsbr to pass the final test on Korriban.

X_Fighter
11-05-2004, 12:14 PM
Wow 6 of the 7 lightsaber forms i'm probably going to use VII (mace's style)

here's an overview of the lightsaber styles and who uses it

Form I= basics of combat. includes parry and attack moves (the younglings Kit Fisto)

Form II= invented to combat the sith. focuses on lightsaber-to-lightsaber combat. (Count Dooku, Exar Kun)

Form III= focuses on defense. true for nIII masters are nearly invincible. (Obi-Wan)

Form IV= an acrobatic form focusing on the three axis of rotation on a 3-d space. (Yoda, Qui-Gon Jinn)

Form V= a form that was invented alongside form IV. can deflect blaster bolts back at attacker. also uses very powerful attacks. (Anakin, Vader)

Form VI= a combo of 1,3,4, and 5. the diplomat's form. a peacekeeping style. (Coleman Trebor and the jedi that died at Geonosis)

Form VII= an advanced combo of form 4 and 5. cuts close to the darkside so hard to master aka Vapaad. (Mace Windu)

lukeiamyourdad
11-05-2004, 06:09 PM
Nice info there :p

Maybe I'll try III and VI first. Oh man there are so many options I'll have to play this game all the time!!!

UrchSr
11-06-2004, 04:32 AM
We are all in it for the long haul... Do we know how many pieces of the lightsaber are there? How many crystal slots?

RedHawke
11-07-2004, 02:34 AM
^^^^
According to what Achilles and I have gathered there will be the same crystal slots as in KOTOR, the central color crystal and two booster crystals, but there are three new upgrades for the sabers, power cells, emitters, and lenses.

What these 3 upgrades do for the saber is unknown, I had hoped they would be the model parts to build your saber out of, but that can't be, as there will be no custom hilts in TSL. :mad: So what exactly do these 3 new upgrades do, we will just have to watch and see. ;)

deathdisco
11-07-2004, 05:49 AM
If they're not going to have different hilts, they should at least redo the uv map to give us more re-skinning option.

RedHawke
11-07-2004, 10:21 PM
^^^^
Or release the darned model formats so we can make our own.

stingerhs
11-08-2004, 04:36 AM
^^^^
agreed. at least their making the lightsaber more than a simple weapon. of course, i'm quite curious to see how large the upcrystals.2da is going to be. not to mention any kind of new .2da file for the focus lens, power cell, etc. sounds like those could be quite massive.

JediLiberator
11-08-2004, 03:51 PM
They're gonna have silver as a blade color! Sweet! That thing about the fighting forms sounds damn awesome. I hope dooku's fighting style is in the mix. I'd love to bust some fencing style moves on someone.

Darkside_tanro
11-10-2004, 10:08 AM
yes Dooku's sytle is in the mix he uses Form II. As you can see in X Fighter's ost. I prefer Form 3 and 4. Four just sounds awesome to see in a game, plus if i were a jedi it seems like it would be more fun to fly around the doin flips and such ... Not that lightsaber combat should treated like a game or anything....:D

DarthBrownBread
11-13-2004, 10:59 AM
wow i seriously can't wait now, this part grabbed me too

IGN: Are there any new colors added this year?

Mike Gallo: There are several new colors to choose from including silver, orange and a light green

wow...:D

FiEND_138
11-18-2004, 08:36 PM
Just saw this at the OE boards.....
Some time will pass in K2 before you can get your lightsaber. This is done intentionally, to make you feel like you earned it - and once you have it, it is one of the best weapons in the game.

We felt that by working at finding the pieces to make one, it would end up being a much more personal quest when it was finally in your possession. So if you find yourself struggling for it, keep it mind that it will make when you get it feel all the sweeter.

What we wanted to avoid was the excess of lightsabers that showed up in Episode 2 and in K1, which we were worried would diminsh the blade's uniqueness as well. So we opted for making them rarer and cooler, and we hope the overall effect will come out well.

Anyway, more rambling - all done.

-Chris Avellone
http://forums.obsidianent.com/index.php?showtopic=25343

Finding pieces, much better than the wave you're hand & poof a saber trick.

RedHawke
11-18-2004, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by FiEND_138
Just saw this at the OE boards.....

http://forums.obsidianent.com/index.php?showtopic=25343

Finding pieces, much better than the wave you're hand & poof a saber trick.
That is kinda what I figured the PC's personal saber quest would be. I believe that is what the Emitter / Lens / Power Cell is going to be the components for the saber, this would also allow the existance of some components having innate bonuses. I can see the workbench getting a heck of a workout in TSL. :D

FiEND_138
11-18-2004, 09:08 PM
I'm hoping it will apply to the sith you fight as well, not ending up with 3,566 light sabers to sell like in K1.

stingerhs
11-19-2004, 03:28 AM
i always thought it was pretty sad how a couple of blasters would sell much higher than a lightsaber. come on, a lightsaber is one of the most powerful weapons in the galaxy. why was it so cheap feeling??? :eyeraise:

lukeiamyourdad
11-19-2004, 11:19 AM
Because they're so common! Laws of the market my friend.

See, Lightsaber Inc. sold 3,566 units allowing them to lower the price of their lightsabers so it will allow them to be more affordable to the common user. In the end, more customers=more profits.

However, Mandalorian Corp could only sell 5 Mandalorian Assault rifles. Their profit marging is really low which keeps the prices high. Their popularity among the general populace also isn't great. Prefering to use lighsabers, they turned their attention away from excellent blasters causing prices to explode.

However, Obsidian Entertainment has declared that blasters will be more useful. If they are succesful, prices for blasters will go down and the lightsaber's value will decline. People will go back to an easier to wield weapon and leave the lightsaber for a good old blaster.

That is unless the Vibroblade makers get involved.

beel2112
11-19-2004, 05:16 PM
AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!! Must.....resist....buying....TSL....for both....X-Box...AND PC....can't hold out......much longer....

:p

starmark2k
11-20-2004, 08:10 AM
Silver blades on the sabers sounds weird.