PDA

View Full Version : The Official Half-Life 2 Thread

ImmolatedYoda
11-09-2004, 03:04 PM
Okay yeah, so the Halo fanboys have had their thread for 3 months; now that Halo 2 is out and they won't be around for many years, we can all sit around and talk about the greatness of Half-Life 2! How are all of you guys going to get it? I have an ATi vouncher, but I will upgrade to Silver this weekened and maybe Gold eventually (soundtracks are cool!) and am contemplating going to bed early next Monday night in order to wake up at 3:00AM and start playing. That is hoping that I can get the final files quickly :o.

I think this game will be so freaking cool, just because of the environments, enemies, physics, and graphics. Much better than any console shooter!

IG-64
11-09-2004, 03:07 PM
Getting in for my B-day, along with an ATI Radeon 9800 pro :)

Im also re-getting a fairly old game called trespasser, that was an awesome game :D

Gabrobot
11-09-2004, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by IG-64
Im also re-getting a fairly old game called trespasser, that was an awesome game :D

That it did...there's even still a dedicated Trespasser fan community!

http://dynamic5.gamespy.com/~trescom/

Tyrion
11-09-2004, 04:17 PM
Uh, you only need to scroll down a bit I need to reread thread titles so I don't look like an idiot... (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=133129)

Anyway, I can't wait for Half-life 2 myself. I played the first HL, and it rocked. Only thing I don't quite like is how you need to be online to play single player...

jokemaster
11-09-2004, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by Tyrion
Uh, you only need to scroll down a bit I need to reread thread titles so I don't look like an idiot... (http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=133129)

Anyway, I can't wait for Half-life 2 myself. I played the first HL, and it rocked. Only thing I don't quite like is how you need to be online to play single player...
You only need to be online when you install it, verify the code, and then you can play offline.

Me's getting it as soon as my desktop is fixed.

Treacherous Mercenary
11-09-2004, 04:25 PM
I get paid this Friday, but I'm hoping they have a DVD disc alone for the game rather than spending all that money on CE... Might have to wait a little to install as I need a DVD drive, but it would be well worth it rather than hassling with six discs.. Oh yeah, I dump this Geforce2 MX for a Radeon 9700 Pro later this week. :D

ImmolatedYoda
11-09-2004, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by Treacherous Mercenary
I get paid this Friday, but I'm hoping they have a DVD disc alone for the game rather than spending all that money on CE... Might have to wait a little to install as I need a DVD drive, but it would be well worth it rather than hassling with six discs.. Oh yeah, I dump this Geforce2 MX for a Radeon 9700 Pro later this week. :D

I seriously doubt there will be a DVD non-CE version (at least in the US). That doesn't really seem to happen over here. UT2004 and MoH:PA both have DVD versions that have all these extras and crap...I think Far Cry had a non-special DVD version, thought. Europe mostly gets the DVD versions, for some odd reason. And who needs CDs/DVDs when you have Steam? :D I was actually thinking about getting a hard copy too, though. Just so I could, you know, say I have a HL2 box.

Treacherous Mercenary
11-09-2004, 04:37 PM
Originally posted by ImmolatedYoda
I seriously doubt there will be a DVD non-CE version (at least in the US). That doesn't really seem to happen over here. UT2004 and MoH:PA both have DVD versions that have all these extras and crap...I think Far Cry had a non-special DVD version, thought. Europe mostly gets the DVD versions, for some odd reason. And who needs CDs/DVDs when you have Steam? :D I was actually thinking about getting a hard copy too, though. Just so I could, you know, say I have a HL2 box.

I want them on disc in case anything goes wrong so I don't have to download over 1GB of the game... Especially if I should have to reformat, whatever the case may be. ;)

Kain
11-09-2004, 04:40 PM
*takes a page out of ImmolatedYoda's playbook*

HALF-LIFE 2 FANBOYS SUCK INSERT SHAMELESS HALO 2 PLUG BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH!!!! HALO 2two PWNS J00 LAM3 1/2-LF3 tw0 fan-b0yz!!!111oneonelevenone111!!!

MuRaSaMuNe
11-09-2004, 04:48 PM
I'm hoping to see it at work this weekend so I can hide myself a copy :joy:

Vampire Bloodlines also comes out on the 16th which looks sweet. Vampires are bad ass and the source engine is sexy put them together for pure awesomeness.

jokemaster
11-09-2004, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by Kain

HALF-LIFE 2 FANBOYS SUCK INSERT SHAMELESS HALO 2 PLUG BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH!!!! HALO 2two PWNS J00 LAM3 1/2-LF3 tw0 fan-b0yz!!!111oneonelevenone111!!!
HALO 2 IZ TEH SUXXORZ, HL2 RULES, HL2 PWNZ J00 L4M3R F4NB0Y! ME L337 H4XX0RZZZZZZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111111111111 11!

Tyrion
11-09-2004, 05:09 PM
Leet speak makes (HOLY EFFING CENSORED, BATMAN!) puppies die by the wrath of God. Kain and Jokemaster, do you hate puppies?

:indif:

ImmolatedYoda
11-09-2004, 05:48 PM

Nice job at histrionics there, Kain. I love how you extrapolated that all from my signature, that ONE post I made in the Halo 2 thread (which was about UT2004 anyway, GJ t00l), and the opening and ending sentences of my first post in this thread. Really, you deserve to be commended. Oh wait, who was the one that said "Halo 2 pwns j00" when I didn't even openly say I hated Halo? Amazing intelligence demonstrated there. Impressive, most impressive :rolleyes:. Maybe you should go back to learning your letters, because they obviously didn't help you read my "playbook." Also note that I didn't barge right into your Halo 2 thread and start spewing off about how "HL2 pwnj0rz Halo 2" and crap like that. You should learn appropriate sarcastic reactions, it might help you look smarter. But I guess you don't care about that, now do you? :rolleyes:

wassup
11-09-2004, 07:06 PM
Chill...just chill. It was only a light-hearted comment meant to poke fun, no need to throw flames around.

Anyways, don't mind Kain, he just has a few issues (Did I say few?! ;))

legameboy
11-09-2004, 07:10 PM
I'll probably get it a few days or a week after it comes out. I'll get the Collecter's Edition.

The only thing I'm sad about it's release is my sad computer.

I have a 2.4 Ghz Intel Pentium 4 Processer with 512 MB of RAM and a Geforce 4 Ti 4200 video card. :(

Huzzah for Half-life! The first one blew me away!

ImmolatedYoda
11-09-2004, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by legameboy
I'll probably get it a few days or a week after it comes out. I'll get the Collecter's Edition.

I have a 2.4 Ghz Intel Pentium 4 Processer with 512 MB of RAM and a Geforce 4 Ti 4200 video card. :(

I'm about in the same boat as PCs go...same processor and RAM, but with a Radeon 9600SE (it isn't that great). But at least I'll be able to run HL2 at medium/high with pretty good performance. Well, that's based on playing Counter-Strike: Source. However, I have decided to save up to upgrade some of my hardware. Anyways, good luck, I hope your Gf4 can run it well enough!

weiderudare
11-09-2004, 09:18 PM
I don't know if i got the guts to play it...
Seen all the trailers, in half of them your surrounded by aliens...Humans are ok, aliens aren't
:(

Samuel Dravis
11-09-2004, 09:27 PM
It looks fun to play. We'll see.

Kain
11-09-2004, 10:01 PM
*laughs at ImmolatedYoda*

Aww - teh fanboy is red-cheeked at Red Devil. How cute.

Seriously, Half-Life sucked.

Edit: Eh, came off of a 12 hour Halo2 binge...my mind is a little on killmode right now. Deleted the offensive material.

legameboy
11-10-2004, 04:09 AM
Half-life was probably the first FPS that I ever got immersed in, everything was just so... believable (I know, I know, there were aliens... but...). I've watched the high resolution videos they've released about a dozen or so times each... Half-life 2 is so close...

:D

ImmolatedYoda
11-10-2004, 09:23 AM
Half-life was probably the first FPS that I ever got immersed in, everything was just so... believable (I know, I know, there were aliens... but...). I've watched the high resolution videos they've released about a dozen or so times each... Half-life 2 is so close...

Amen, brotha! And what did all of you guys think about Xen? I enjoyed it, I didn't think it was up to par with the rest of the game, but it was still an interesting diversion.

Oh and Kain, really, just stop posting.

EDIT: and you know that's what I meant.

Kain
11-10-2004, 11:31 AM
Oh and Kain, really, just stop posting.

Eh no. But I'll leave this thread alone atleast.

legameboy
11-10-2004, 12:48 PM
Amen, brotha! And what did all of you guys think about Xen? I enjoyed it, I didn't think it was up to par with the rest of the game, but it was still an interesting diversion.

Xen was fun, but it was kind of a step down from the rest of the game. Mainly just because the graphics of that time really couldn't depect a good Xen in my opinion.

If we had a Source engine Xen, then... wow... :D

That's also why I'm getting the Collector's edition of Half-life 2, to play Half-life: Source.

:)

RoxStar
11-10-2004, 01:56 PM

:eek:

Mines 1.8 ghz, 256 mb of ram and yet-to-be bought video card.

ckcsaber
11-10-2004, 02:02 PM
Wha??

They are remaking Hl 1 with the source engine?

Kain
11-10-2004, 05:29 PM
Hmm...accident in a lab...monsters break loose...portals to Hell...

...looks to me like this line has been spoken once or twice before.

Shouldn't be called Half-Life. It should be called 'Resident Doom'. Shows how stupid humanity can be - giving this multi-faced jockoff GOTY. HA!! Thats great.

I'll admit - Halo 2's story line was a bit thin, what with it closely resembling the first. But c'mon, atleast it was HALF way original.

Troopr-Undr-Fir
11-10-2004, 05:52 PM
Hmm...accident in a lab...monsters break loose...portals to Hell...

...looks to me like this line has been spoken once or twice before.

Shouldn't be called Half-Life. It should be called 'Resident Doom'. Shows how stupid humanity can be - giving this multi-faced jockoff GOTY. HA!! Thats great.

I'll admit - Halo 2's story line was a bit thin, what with it closely resembling the first. But c'mon, atleast it was HALF way original.

I thought it was original :confused:

I haven't played Halo, but it always looked like a hybrid of many different games. And didn't look like it was very original itself.

BUT WHO THE **** CARES WHICH IS BETTAH! This is the HL 2 thread! :p

I'm gonna wait till it all drops a bit.... Like 3 days or so :xp:

ImmolatedYoda
11-10-2004, 05:59 PM
Eh no. But I'll leave this thread alone atleast.

Look everyone, Kain is a man of his word!

And what game are you basing the unoriginality of the Half-Life storyline on, anyway? Have you actually played the original Dooms? You must be thinking more of Doom 3. Sure, the original Doom storyline was that the UAC was performing all sorts of experiments, blahblahblah, but basically, Doom was just "fight this random huge demon threat in random scenarios." It wasn't set on Mars or Earth at all, at least not judging from the maps. And just because the storylines are based on the same basic occurence doesn't mean the two are really comparable. Why don't you go rip on Doom 3 on some Doom website simply because it has the SAME EXACT STORYLINE as the original? This thread isn't to bash Half-Life, it's to talk about the exciting sequel to it about to be released. And don't talk about the stupidity of humanity when you go ape-berzerk over a console FPS. There are countless better examples of the studpity of humanity than one game (which you obviously have a bias against) getting a GotY award(s). Just accept the fact that it was (and is) widely claimed as one of the best FPS games ever, even just for all of its mods, and leave this thread alone.

Anyway, in response to ckcsaber, they aren't completely remaking Half-Life in the Source engine, they just did a basic port of it, adding the new water, effects, and maybe some physics, not too sure. It's a shame they didn't go through and completely update all the models and textures, but at least it will include the High Definition Pack models...I really hope there is some way to get HL2 models into HL:S though, as that would be really kick ass.

I really feel sorry for you, Dave Grohl! Oh well, at least you have some new APC to listen to...your machine can handle that, can't it? :P

MTV2
11-10-2004, 06:18 PM
I got that game for free from an ATI graphics card, anybody else get that deal???

Kain
11-10-2004, 06:45 PM
It wasn't set on Mars or Earth at all, at least not judging from the maps. And just because the storylines are based on the same basic occurence doesn't mean the two are really comparable. Why don't you go rip on Doom 3 on some Doom website simply because it has the SAME EXACT STORYLINE as the original? This thread isn't to bash Half-Life, it's to talk about the exciting sequel to it about to be released. And don't talk about the stupidity of humanity when you go ape-berzerk over a console FPS. There are countless better examples of the studpity of humanity than one game (which you obviously have a bias against) getting a GotY award(s). Just accept the fact that it was (and is) widely claimed as one of the best FPS games ever, even just for all of its mods, and leave this thread alone.

Did you even read my post? I said it was a jock of RE AND Doom.

And you're right - worse games have gotten GotY.Crap, this is turning into that old FF thread again. Gotta bail!

jokemaster
11-10-2004, 06:56 PM
I don't remember a portal to hell............

And let's stop the ****ing comparisions to Halo, they're two very different games, hell the only thing they have in common are:
1. Both are FPS
2. Both you fight aliens
3. Both you're some mostly silent guy in armor.

Kain
11-10-2004, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by jokemaster
I don't remember a portal to hell............

And let's stop the ****ing comparisions to Halo, they're two very different games, hell the only thing they have in common are:
1. Both are FPS
2. Both you fight aliens
3. Both you're some mostly silent guy in armor.

Werd. To each his own. I'll extend the olive branch here - I just wanted to give a little retrobution for Yoda's remark in the Halo2 thread and his little signature poem.

Darth Groovy
11-10-2004, 08:06 PM
You only need to be online when you install it, verify the code, and then you can play offline.

Me's getting it as soon as my desktop is fixed.

HAHA! All you need to do with Halo 2 is just pop the friggin disk in and play!

Halo 2 pwnz j00!!!!:D

I guess you can thank all the leakers and pirates for that code verification crap. I'll pick up Half Life 2 when it's in the cheap bin at Wal-Mart or something.:p

Kain
11-10-2004, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by Darth Groovy
I'll pick up Half Life 2 when it's in the cheap bin at Wal-Mart or something.:p

Sounds like a plan...for you. I wouldn't pick it up if it was laying on the sidewalk in its original packaging...

...but thats me.

ImmolatedYoda
11-10-2004, 08:11 PM
Werd. To each his own. I'll extend the olive branch here - I just wanted to give a little retrobution for Yoda's remark in the Halo2 thread and his little signature poem.

This is the last I'll say about the matter: Kain, you know it's not retribution. This is what I posted in the Halo 2 thread:

You people are still posting in this thread? Sheesh. Anyway, TiE 23, did you happen to notice that that screenshot you posted is a cutscene? That completely invalidates any statement you make saying that looks better than UT2004. And really, with both games, do you think you would notice the graphics while playing? I don't think so. UT2004 still has impressive graphics for what it does: rendering huge battles while still running smoothly. This is all from a UT2004 and PC fan who uninstalled Halo PC after playing only a few matches online (my friend had me install it, what a moron).

Absolutely nothing of what I posted there should have been enough to provoke a (normal) person to do what you have done. I didn't even MENTION Half-Life 2 there, and only said TWO things that could POSSIBLY be construed in such a way as to lead you to your inappropriate comments in this thread. Just get over it, fanboy; maybe you should stop playing Halo 2, get some sleep, and wake up with a clearer mind in order to realize the idiocy you have displayed here. And go ahead, make a sig bashing Half-Life, I guarantee you nobody will care. You are also the only one so far who has even mentioned my sig. Oh yeah, and nice try at backing out while trying to justify your worthless comments :rolleyes:.

*Ahem* Now that this thread is back on-topic...what great new mods have you guys heard/read about for HL2? I'm looking forward to the ports of DoD (I'm still not sure if it's going to be a full port or not) and HL, once people get a good high-res texture/model package together for it.

Darth Groovy
11-10-2004, 08:12 PM
Sounds like a plan...for you. I wouldn't pick it up if it was laying on the sidewalk in its original packaging...

...but thats me.

All depends. I never bought Half Life 1. I guess it was good for it's day, but now it's just been done over and over, kind of like Quake III. I mean if you buy Quake III now, it would bore you to tears right? Maybe I won't buy Half - Life 2 either, i'll wait and see what my buddies say about it first, then i'll wait for it to hit second market and buy it when it's like less than $10.

Monkey Mania
11-10-2004, 08:28 PM
When you finally play it, you'll hit yourself in the head for missing out on such a great game.

Kain
11-10-2004, 08:45 PM
*reads Yoda's post*

Wow, and he says I'M idiotic. Whatever boats your float man - I already said I'd quit with the petty insults and game bashing. Maybe you need to get some sleep and get levelheaded.

When you finally play it, you'll hit yourself in the head for missing out on such a great game.

Thats almost EXACTLY what my buddy said about it when I first played it(about 2 years after it came out) - I about hit him in the head for making me waste my time:p. Hes like Yoda - all HL no Halo. Now hes like me - No HL all Halo. And this kid was uber to the point to make some of those Counter Strike players cry.

Anywho I've been reading up on HL2, and I'm just gonna flat out say it - Its gonna go the way of RE; repetetive at its best. But like I said, to each his own. You can all have fun with the mods and whatevers and I'll stick to my consoles.

Consoles pwn PC

ImmolatedYoda
11-10-2004, 08:50 PM
Then please, stick to your own thread(s); you stated many posts back that you would leave this one alone. You seem to forget that you said you would leave, then you had to bash Half-Life again, for no explicit reason.

I uninstalled the original Halo because it didn't catch my interest as an interesting game (at least the multiplayer didn't); with UT2004 out at the time, I was set. I know it's different with a group of friends or settled in a nice comfortable couch, though. Also, I might actually get/borrow/warez (most likely the last) Halo 2 if a good port to PC is made. Not that that will happen anytime soon; that's why there's HL2, FEAR, STALKER, Pariah, and some other great games I'm forgetting! Oh yeah, and Half-Life 2 will be released on Xbox later, just in case you ever feel like giving it a try.

Kain
11-10-2004, 08:57 PM
Then please, stick to your own thread(s); you stated many posts back that you would leave this one alone. You seem to forget that you said you would leave, then you had to bash Half-Life again, for no explicit reason.

Oh yeah, and Half-Life 2 will be released on Xbox later.

/ignore

Actually, I wasn't 'bashing' it, per se, I was just pointing out that the similarities in the story line are incredibly similar to those in RE and Doom. And whats with this trying to ban me from your thread attitude you have - you make an official thread expect posts that are against the topic. Shoulda named it 'Half-Life 2 Thread - No negative comments or I'll tell you to leave blah blah blah'. Besides its no surprise that this game is unoriginal - no game is truley original. Its all already been done. The only thing that changes is graphics.

Damn.

ImmolatedYoda
11-10-2004, 09:18 PM
Besides its no surprise that this game is unoriginal - no game is truley original. Its all already been done. The only thing that changes is graphics.

Eh, I don't really agree; at least, I don't think everything has been done by now. I'm only listing the following games because they are relatively recent. Take Battlefield for example, even though I've never played it. Had anything with such a high playercount and such large maps been released before? Max Payne 2 was the first game I played that really had physics, and it was such a cool feeling...going around wasting bullets shooting every single little object. What I think that makes Half-Life 2 look so awesome/promising is the much, much higher interaction with physics the player has. Sure, in Deus Ex 2 you could pick up things and throw them (body basketball!) but as far as I know, the physics didn't really make a difference to the gameplay in the long run. Couple such a detailed physics engine as Half-Life 2's with pretty damn gorgeous visuals and further the Half-Life plot with new characters and a few infamous returning ones, and you get a game that looks to be quite engaging, entertaining, and replayable. And don't forget the huge mod community, further expanding the possibilities for such a good-looking game. In other words, I think there is still room for innovation.

I admit, I don't actually know what it will be like in the end, and I'm sure all the hype from watching the videos 20 million times and reading everything I can about it (and playing the leak :o) is only beneficial to a point, but I suppose it is the same as you with Halo/Halo 2. You enjoyed the first one so much (for whatever reasons) that how can the second one possibly suck at all? Naturally, there will be a few letdowns, as you've already expressed with Halo 2, but I prefer to not think about those right now :D.

Kain
11-10-2004, 09:20 PM
You missed my point when I said its all been done. Sure there are physics and new ways to hurt enemies to be made - no doubt. I meant in terms of stories and such. A new idea for a story is hard to come up with.

Darth Groovy
11-10-2004, 09:32 PM

I uninstalled the original Halo because it didn't catch my interest as an interesting game (at least the multiplayer didn't); with UT2004 out at the time, I was set. I know it's different with a group of friends or settled in a nice comfortable couch, though. Also, I might actually get/borrow/warez (most likely the last) Halo 2 if a good port to PC is made. Not that that will happen anytime soon; that's why there's HL2, FEAR, STALKER, Pariah, and some other great games I'm forgetting! Oh yeah, and Half-Life 2 will be released on Xbox later, just in case you ever feel like giving it a try.

Ok, so your saying that if you post a thread, that only people interested in HL2 are allowed to post in it?!?

If us "Halo Lovers" bother you so much, you can always add them to your ignore list! Under user cp, go to edit ignore, and just add our names to your ignore list.

To post a thread in Yoda's Swamp expecting only certain people to post in it, is an exersise in futility. I don't recall bashing your game, but I did think it seemed a bit silly to have to be online to install a game, but then again, these are just my opinions, just like when you thought it was silly for me to get upset after waiting outside in the cold for an hour, only to go home empty handed. Sorry if they bother you. But they ARE just opinions, nobody's breaking any rules here at this point.

ImmolatedYoda
11-10-2004, 09:33 PM
To Kain:
I will agree with you on that. Kind of makes you wonder why anyone would want to be a writer nowadays. Although I think something can be said for how a story is presented, too. In the original Doom, like I said earlier, the opening plot of the game wasn't really followed through. I definitely realize that Doom was such an early game that story wasn't really a big matter back then, but it does help you see the evolution in games' story-telling. Doom 3 does a much, much better job on telling/portraying the story, it's just a shame it relied so much on pretty (to some) graphics and cheap scares. And all I know about the Resident Evil series is that it's supposed to be scary and involves zombies...I think.

But yes, I just kind of went off on new gameplay dynamics. I am kind of anxious to see what plot twists Half-Life 2 holds though and how gripping it is (assuming it is gripping at all).

To Groovy: Oh, I have nothing against you, Kain's remarks just seemed a little too vituperative to me at the time, that's all. Sorry about all that crap. But sure, everyone, come post in here! Mingle, discuss, and never forget - HL2 > H2! Lol!@121@!!~21@~oneleven!

Evil Dark Jedi
11-11-2004, 12:30 AM
If us "Halo Lovers" bother you so much, you can always add them to your ignore list! Under user cp, go to edit ignore, and just add our names to your ignore list.

I am a Halo fan and not a HL2 fan. So I wont be getting HL2 at all cause I have played HL1 and I didnt like it.

Darth Groovy
11-11-2004, 12:38 AM
Kain is not a bad guy. Most of us regular swampies know that Kain is just quite outspoken, and does not hold back for anyone. It doesn't mean he doesn't like you, it just means that if he disagrees, he's not going to sugar coat it, he just says what he feels, and we've come to actually respect him for it.

This is not a HL2 VS H2 thread at all. At times it seemed to be heading in that direction, but since we have all made valid points on where and what we believe in, there is no harm done here, else I'd have closed BOTH threads by now.

I can't speak for Half Life, all I know is from what I have read in reviews, and heard from freinds of mine. It's simply a love it, or hate it game, but not necessarily a must have. I have visited similar forums where there are threads with topics such as "Half Life VS Halo", or "UT2004 VS Halo".

To make a long story short, I swore by PC games ever since I first played Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight, which is STILL in my opinion, the best Star Wars PC game ever made. Since it was also my first ever PC game, I can be jaded in my opinion.

The release of Ninja Gaiden this past summer made me want to buy an XBOX, but it was ultimately Halo, that really got me into console gaming again. I had never become so immersed in a console game, that I could not put it down, since high school. In my opinion, Halo is alot more than just another shooter, it's like another world, that you can visit, which is kind of similar to Star Wars in that it is strange, yet familiar. I'll be the first to admit, that Halo is inspired by SEVERAL sci-fi genres, but they way they mix it up, is both compelling and original. Halo was NOT a predictable game, and I never got bored with it. The OTHER thing that got me back into consoles is the perverbial "keeping up with the Jones'" aproach to pc gaming. After UT2K4, that was the last straw, some of us don't have a spare $100+ to upgrade every six months. With console games, they are BUILT to operate on THAT console, so you don't have to worry about upgrades and all the nitty gritty details. I'll admit that in all my days of owning a playstation, I always felt that the FPS games were better on a PC, but Halo changed all of that for me. I don't think of Halo as just another FPS game, but a game that I have fun, every single time I turn it on. All games should be that way, PC or not. Halo is not the ONLY game I have enjoyed on a console, but certainly the best thing I have played in many years. Why is that? The game "adapts" to your playing style. I may suck at gaming, but the game will play at my level, so it's not too easy, yet not to hard and frustraiting to enjoy.

Yeah i'll admit, I didn't wait on reviews to get Halo 2, I just loved the original game (and the books) so much, that getting the sequal was a given, and I am very excited about playing it on Live, since as of yet, I have only played ONE decent XBox Live game which happens to be SWBF! All the other "live" games, either sucked, were too hard to play, or there simply was nobody online playing them at the time.

Crow_Nest
11-11-2004, 05:37 AM
And HL2 is only 4 days away from release cant you believe it?!

no doubt. I meant in terms of stories and such. A new idea for a story is hard to come up with.

There is a totally new story, written by the same guy who wrote the story of HL1. All the reviews said it had everything, like plot, gameplay and story was good.

Originally posted by IG-64

LOL I remember that game. Kinda sucky. :D

Alegis
11-11-2004, 05:48 AM
I've only seen a few clips of the game and the engine show off, but dont know that much about features etc. Even though I will play the SP since i got it with my ATI card (stream trough steam). Don't think i'll stay for any MP, but who knows.

Crow_Nest
11-11-2004, 05:51 AM
Originally posted by Alegis
I've only seen a few clips of the game and the engine show off, but dont know that much about features etc.

Did you download those Bink videos? They kick @ss!

Kain
11-11-2004, 09:08 AM
Wow! Half-Life comes out the same time as Smallville season 3 DVDs. Yep, Smallville is comin home with me this week:D

What is this ORIGINAL story that they have? I'd love to hear it.

Troopr-Undr-Fir
11-11-2004, 09:15 AM
You guys just don't know when to shut up :lol:

I wonder if Team Fortress is under development for HL2 :confused:

That would be sweet

EDIT: Any news on this would be cool... SO GO SEARCH! :p

weiderudare
11-11-2004, 09:25 AM
There seem to be alot of complaining about HL2's story... And I want to ask you, what game has a completly new story? Most (if not all) are about killing people because of X reason. This reason is usually things like "find out why you are killing all these people" or "its my job to kill all these people"

And I can honestly say, I didnt like HL1, but Im probably getting HL2, if not because of the mods and just to get a random fps.
I was thinking of getting a Halo Game, but really got bored when my friend explained it:" You kill people in an intergalactic war and this thing is supposed to help you but really wants you dead"
Sounded DEEP
:p
But I might be mistaken..but thats what I heard about the story, and when playing Halo 2 hours I really couldnt see any difference from most FPS, except it was enemies everywhere.

ImmolatedYoda
11-11-2004, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by Troopr-Undr-Fir
You guys just don't know when to shut up :lol:

I wonder if Team Fortress is under development for HL2 :confused:

That would be sweet

EDIT: Any news on this would be cool... SO GO SEARCH! :p

Do you mean a port of Team Fortress Classic? Or an actual, separate TF mod for HL2? Granted, the latter doesn't sound very likely, given the fact that TFC exists. On the matter of a Source port of TFC, no one really knows; it is a matter of whether you believe Valve will port all the offical HL content like they said they would (you know, OpFor, Blue Shift, officially adopted mods). I really hope they do port TFC, as it was/is one of the top 5 or so most popular HL mods, judging from the Steam player data. Also, I have played TFC for 3 years or so now, and would really love to see it get a big kick in the (behind), as the community seems to really have fallen apart in the past several months, probably because of the switch to Steam.

Oh, and Team Fortress 2 (remember that one? :p) is, according to Valve, under development on Source, and more information is supposed to surface after the release of HL2. I don't know what to think about this one.

To make a long story short, I swore by PC games ever since I first played Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight, which is STILL in my opinion, the best Star Wars PC game ever made. Since it was also my first ever PC game, I can be jaded in my opinion.

Hell Groovy, I don't think anyone here will think you jaded for that; this is the JK Series forums after all :p. and DF/JK/MotS are definitely the best Star Wars games ever made, hands down. If only they would update them with current graphics technology...man, they could remake all three (or even just one) and sell it for 50$ and I would buy it!

And I don't need to wait for reviews for HL2 before I get it: PC Gamer already gave it a 98%, and several other magazines have rated it quite highly too.

Darth NeoVenom
11-11-2004, 01:11 PM
Any hint that Shepard is gonna be in it from Opposing Force?

ImmolatedYoda
11-11-2004, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by Darth NeoVenom
Any hint that Shepard is gonna be in it from Opposing Force?

Not yet. It takes place five years after the events of Half-Life, and it appears that the world is quite a different place now, so we won't be seeing any military troops like those from Half-Life.

weiderudare
11-11-2004, 01:51 PM
Well, I expect one expansion seen from one of the soldier oppressors, fighting against the Resistance or joining them or whatnot.(hopefully just against, I wanna be on the "evil" side too)
One about the girl(dont know her name) and one about the awesomest guy ever: Barney

And one of the top reasons im playing the game is cause of what Barney says in one sequence:
"Remember when we thought Black Mesa was the worst that could possibly happen?"

Captain Wilson
11-11-2004, 03:27 PM
and we've come to actually respect him for it.

:D :p Mabey you

i jest kain, i jest

I will be getting the game, just not for the game.

I want it for all the mods you will be able to get. Such as OF and CS

jokemaster
11-11-2004, 04:34 PM
I'm all HL2, all halo all every game that I like :p.

EDIT: And Groovy's not kidding about Kain. His GF posts in this forum and he once flamed her.

Leastwise that's the.......watchamacallit........legend.

Kain
11-11-2004, 06:13 PM
EDIT: And Groovy's not kidding about Kain. His GF posts in this forum and he once flamed her.

Leastwise that's the.......watchamacallit........legend.

Thats what she gets for being stupid.

She's sitting right next to me...ow.

Darth NeoVenom
11-12-2004, 04:58 AM
I'll be getting HL2 once I or my brother upgrade the computer. I'm suppose to be getting Matrix Online. Hopefully the computer can take it. -crosses fingers-

stingerhs
11-12-2004, 06:06 AM
let me put it this way:

first, i'm a big fan of halo AND halo 2. i've played both of them on the xbox and own halo for the pc. i'm still playing the halo multiplayer on my pc because, quite frankly, its fun.

second, i really wish halo 2 was being released on the pc. since it isn't:
*curses m$* :fist:

third, i think i still have that the hl, opf, bs, and cs cd's lying around here somewhere....oh, wait, i still have the games installed on my hd complete with about 10+ mods...

fourth, hl 2 is going to be good. right now, the best fps on the market is halo 2. will hl2 surpass it as far as gameplay goes?? that remains to be seen. but one thing is for sure: the mods that will eventually come with hl2 will make it a much more enjoyable game in the long run. of course, thats just me. :)

ImmolatedYoda
11-12-2004, 09:16 PM
I'm currently purchasing a legal copy of the HL2 soundtrack and so far it's pretty kickin'. Seems pretty similar to HL's music, and if you have watched all of the gameplay/BINK videos, then you would recognize a bit of the soundtrack music.

Troopr-Undr-Fir
11-13-2004, 01:26 PM
Do you mean a port of Team Fortress Classic? Or an actual, separate TF mod for HL2? Granted, the latter doesn't sound very likely, given the fact that TFC exists. On the matter of a Source port of TFC, no one really knows; it is a matter of whether you believe Valve will port all the offical HL content like they said they would (you know, OpFor, Blue Shift, officially adopted mods). I really hope they do port TFC, as it was/is one of the top 5 or so most popular HL mods, judging from the Steam player data. Also, I have played TFC for 3 years or so now, and would really love to see it get a big kick in the (behind), as the community seems to really have fallen apart in the past several months, probably because of the switch to Steam.

Oh, and Team Fortress 2 (remember that one? :p) is, according to Valve, under development on Source, and more information is supposed to surface after the release of HL2. I don't know what to think about this one.

Hell Groovy, I don't think anyone here will think you jaded for that; this is the JK Series forums after all :p. and DF/JK/MotS are definitely the best Star Wars games ever made, hands down. If only they would update them with current graphics technology...man, they could remake all three (or even just one) and sell it for 50$ and I would buy it!

And I don't need to wait for reviews for HL2 before I get it: PC Gamer already gave it a 98%, and several other magazines have rated it quite highly too.

Yeah, that's what I feared, I never saw anything for it on Steam. Or anywhere else for that matter. I do remember TFC2, never really paid much attention to it, but hey at least they tried :xp:.

I still play TFC, hell I just got done playing. It would be a shame if they don't re-release it. Even if it was just a remake of 2fort with all the classes (except solly :mad: ) and HL2 source code. I would be just fine with that.

ImmolatedYoda
11-13-2004, 05:20 PM
Yeah, that's what I feared, I never saw anything for it on Steam. Or anywhere else for that matter. I do remember TFC2, never really paid much attention to it, but hey at least they tried :xp:.

I still play TFC, hell I just got done playing. It would be a shame if they don't re-release it. Even if it was just a remake of 2fort with all the classes (except solly :mad: ) and HL2 source code. I would be just fine with that.

WHAT?? ARE YOU SAYING YOU DON'T LIKE SOLLYS??? Man, they're the best freakin class in the game, I love being a solly. That and medic or sniper. But yeah, for a TFC port, I wouldn't care even if it were just like HL:S, with prettier water/effects available, just with all the old maps and textures. TFC doesn't need all sorts of physics objects and crap. Ragdoll would rock though :D. C'mon Valve, you can do it!

Troopr-Undr-Fir
11-14-2004, 12:42 PM
WHAT?? ARE YOU SAYING YOU DON'T LIKE SOLLYS??? Man, they're the best freakin class in the game, I love being a solly. That and medic or sniper. But yeah, for a TFC port, I wouldn't care even if it were just like HL:S, with prettier water/effects available, just with all the old maps and textures. TFC doesn't need all sorts of physics objects and crap. Ragdoll would rock though :D. C'mon Valve, you can do it!

Werd... except for the loving of the solly's... They should all die. I would shank them all with my knife (hint). I play Engi, Spy, Sniper. And iff all of those are taken... Medic. Maybe I could hit you up to play sometime.

Or knock you up :p

:indif:

jokemaster
11-14-2004, 12:52 PM
2 more days
can't ****ing wait.

Troopr-Undr-Fir
11-14-2004, 12:54 PM
Has anyone else noticed that the HL 2 fans are more reserved about waiting for their game than the Halo 2 fans were? :p

Oh ****, what did I just do?

*runs*

The_One
11-14-2004, 01:56 PM
Has anyone else noticed that the HL 2 fans are more reserved about waiting for their game than the Halo 2 fans were? :p

Oh ****, what did I just do?

*runs*

Bloody consolers ;)

Nah, it's because we're used to waiting. We waited years for the original Half-Life, and we've waited years for the sequel - we can hold out for a couple more days...

jokemaster
11-14-2004, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by The_One
Bloody consolers ;)

Nah, it's because we're used to waiting. We waited years for the original Half-Life, and we've waited years for the sequel - we can hold out for a couple more days...
What he said, we've been waiting 6 bloody years for this thing, we can wait a couple more days, unlike waiting 2 years for a game, then you're not used to it.

Crow_Nest
11-14-2004, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by The_One we can hold out for a couple more days...

Its only 1 more day!!!

jokemaster
11-14-2004, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by |GG|Crow_Nest
Its only 1 more day!!! NOt for us with bedtimes it isn't.....

The_One
11-15-2004, 10:27 AM
Its only 1 more day!!!

It was 2 days when I posted that ;)

Anyway, my copy of HL2 just got despatched from gameplay.co.uk :D

coupes.
11-15-2004, 02:56 PM
IGN gave it a 9.7 [linko (http://pc.ign.com/articles/566/566202p1.html)]

Gamespot gave it a 9.2 [linko (http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/halflife2/review.html?q=1&tag=gs_hp_flashtop_bg)]

TiE23
11-15-2004, 03:00 PM
I think it is funny how they didn't even use their own fottage for the video review on Gamespot, kind of lame.

TiE

jokemaster
11-15-2004, 06:27 PM
Still, no matter what you think of Valve's business policies, Half-Life 2 is a "must buy" game. If you're a fan of the series, that was already obvious. Heck, if you're a PC gamer chances are you're going to get it at some point anyway. But if you're new or skeptical of the genre and want to see a prime example of the power and excitement of a first-person shooter, this is it. And it begins with the continuation of a story.
SUCK ON THAT!

Quote by WWW.IGN.COM

They should have the same guy who reviewed halo 2 review this so we can get an even opinion. Even better if he wasn't editor of the XBOX section or the PC section. I say we get the guy who reviews the DVD section review both games

Troopr-Undr-Fir
11-15-2004, 06:31 PM
SUCK ON THAT!

Quote by WWW.IGN.COM

They should have the same guy who reviewed halo 2 review this so we can get an even opinion. Even better if he wasn't editor of the XBOX section or the PC section. I say we get the guy who reviews the DVD section review both games

Then we'd just get some guy with his thumb up his ass :rolleyes:

And I couldn't care less about reviews... Now if the review gave me a $10 off coupon to buy the game. You've have something then.

:)

jokemaster
11-15-2004, 06:47 PM
I agree with you on that. Especially after DX2.
*shudder*

Tyrion
11-15-2004, 09:58 PM
The war has come; the aliens have arrived; doom has finally materialized.

It is done.

legameboy
11-16-2004, 12:22 PM
Gamespy gave it a 5; Multiplayer: Good [linko (http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/half-life-2/566585p1.html)

It's too bad I won't be able to buy it until the weekend, since I'm going to buy the Collector's Edition, my local Wal-mart doesn't have it in stock, and the nearest Circuit City, Best Buy, or CompUSA is thirty-five minutes away.

I can't wait!

I'm so glad they made the game runnable on weak machines like mine.

Half-life fan boys... rock, rock on!

wassup
11-16-2004, 01:15 PM
Too bad Steam is down for pretty much all areas. You would think they could get some more servers to handle all this bandwidth...:rolleyes:

Half-Life 2 is great, Steam is in the pooper though.

Troopr-Undr-Fir
11-16-2004, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by wassup
Too bad Steam is down for pretty much all areas. You would think they could get some more servers to handle all this bandwidth...:rolleyes:

Half-Life 2 is great, Steam is in the pooper though.

Yeah.... It is :confused:

It must be on purpose (I agree it sucks, but they could at least try harder when HL2 is released), Probably adding in some Valve servers for players, or making some last minute improvements.

*shrugs*

The_One
11-16-2004, 01:48 PM
Some first impressions...

Ok, after a 2 hour installation, I was expecting a decent gaming experience.

And boy, did I get it ;)

It's just so much fun, I don't really know how else to describe it. It's been a good few years since I really enjoyed playing a game - even just shooting down the combine soldiers is great, watching the funky death animations etc.. It runs really smooth on my system at 1280x1024 2xAA - I might even crank it up a bit :D

I haven't got very far, but I've just been gawping at everything. You can see why it's been 5 years in the making - the details are just everywhere. And the running through the train yard bit at the beginning... de_train homage anyone?

Such a shame I have to go to work tomorrow, but it'll give me something to look forward to when I get back home.

The only real gripes I have are...

a) Who the f**k thought it would be a clever idea to have to be connected to the internet to play a SINGLE player game? They should be fired! 2 hour installation I tells ya, 2 HOURS!

b) Load times. This is probably me not having rebooted in a couple of days, and also only having 512MB of RAM. I'm sure a gig would help; but for the time being, it does kinda ruin the immersion when you have to twiddle your thumbs for 20 seconds.

Anyway, I can't wait to carry on playing this. Judging from the preview movies that have been coming out over the last year or so, I'm in for some real treats!

TiE23
11-16-2004, 03:46 PM

And boy, did I get it ;)

It's just so much fun, I don't really know how else to describe it. It's been a good few years since I really enjoyed playing a game - even just shooting down the combine soldiers is great, watching the funky death animations etc.. It runs really smooth on my system at 1280x1024 2xAA - I might even crank it up a bit :D

I haven't got very far, but I've just been gawping at everything. You can see why it's been 5 years in the making - the details are just everywhere. And the running through the train yard bit at the beginning... de_train homage anyone?

Such a shame I have to go to work tomorrow, but it'll give me something to look forward to when I get back home.

a) Who the f**k thought it would be a clever idea to have to be connected to the internet to play a SINGLE player game? They should be fired! 2 hour installation I tells ya, 2 HOURS!

b) Load times. This is probably me not having rebooted in a couple of days, and also only having 512MB of RAM. I'm sure a gig would help; but for the time being, it does kinda ruin the immersion when you have to twiddle your thumbs for 20 seconds.

Anyway, I can't wait to carry on playing this. Judging from the preview movies that have been coming out over the last year or so, I'm in for some real treats!
Nice, :D
me want!

TiE

Treacherous Mercenary
11-16-2004, 04:27 PM
With a fully upgraded PC, I'll be in full swing with this game, but there's work involved and treats you like you have no life outside of it.

Crow_Nest
11-16-2004, 05:17 PM

And boy, did I get it ;)

Yeah i also activated it last night and it was awesome! I had everything maxed out and runs flawlessly!

The game wasnt easy though, i only just reached the Coastline last night.

GonkH8er
11-16-2004, 05:20 PM
I went on a 20 hr HL2 binge..... and theres only 1 word to describe it.

Whoa...

I'd have to agree with pcgamer in that its the best game, ever, period. I've never been so immersed in a game. I didnt mind the load times.... but being that ive got a 939 3500+ with a gig of ram, its probably a different situation :P

Theres a few annoyances. Stupid teammates following you incessantly, getting in the way sometimes, but for the most part, theyre pretty good.

Highlights would have to be the hoverbike map, the highway map, and probably the last hour of the game

Anyone kindof sorta maybe thinking about getting the game, get it. It's worth the 2+ hour installation :P

Now I'm off to play some HL1 source, see how it looks, despite not having updated textures or models. Then maybe some cs source.... or some sleep.

Golly, what a great game :D

It's also great watching people get impaled by strider legs...

Zappa_0
11-16-2004, 06:48 PM
Alo of people are pissed over Half Life 2 and its installion and with steam aswell. Ive been hearing alot of people plan on returning the game asap. Which I dont blame them. It took me around 4 hours to even get to play it, and it crashes at every game loading screen. Hope they get things straightened out. To those who does not have any problems you should be very greatful!!!

Sam Fisher
11-17-2004, 10:11 AM
Bleh, I can't even get it because meh parents :(

But I'll buy a video card with it included by "accident" :D

jon_hill987
11-17-2004, 10:36 AM
My friend just got it, looks really good but I'm very put off by the fact you need to conect to the internet to play it (is that every time or just to regester). I really wish it wasn't steam, If it was not steam I would blow what is left of my student lone at the end of the year on a new PC, now I'm not so bothered about it even though it seems a blo very good game. much better than doom 3.

Mex
11-17-2004, 11:10 AM
Ack! Why did two great games have to come out so soon, I barely got money for Halo 2 and now I'm broke. I just hope my dad gets it for me, hes a Half-Life 2 fan.

jokemaster
11-17-2004, 12:01 PM
That's odd, I've been playing it for 2 days with no problems whatsoever, except for a bit of slowdown right after loading.

BawBag™
11-17-2004, 01:02 PM
That's odd, I've been playing it for 2 days with no problems whatsoever, except for a bit of slowdown right after loading.

:wstupid:

Apart from the 40 minute installation time, everything is fine. I still don't understand all this steam and register and play online stuff.

txa1265
11-17-2004, 01:17 PM
I bought HL2 and Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines (VtM: B) today, and the difference in installation for these Source powered games is quite stark. In the ~1.25 hours it took to get to the 'new game' screen in HL2, I installed VtM: B, including letting it update DirectX, reading the manual (not familiar with the pencil-and-paper Vampire RPG), restarted, started the game, went through the character creation process (a couple of times) and then started the actual game, and finally made it all the way through the tutorial ... at that point HL2 was ready to play. It will take a bit to forgive that install process ... aw, heck, all was forgiven when I saw the first water :D

HL2 is not the most graphically advanced game - I'd give that to Doom 3. But HL2 is a better looking game - the best ever - because of what the Source engine does *absolutely right* ... making sure that the stuff you care about looks awesome. For instance, the wood doors you can open look no better than MoHAA, but the faces, the general environs, and many of the specifics look terrific.

I've barely played it, but already the amount of physics puzzles make me feel that someone is showing off something cool for no purpose than to show how cool it is. Maybe that'll soften as I proceed.

BTW - VtM: B absolutely rocks so far. RPG, with FPS-ish controls, and the source engine ... yep.

Mike

RoxStar
11-17-2004, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by Sam Fisher
Bleh, I can't even get it because meh parents :(

But I'll buy a video card with it included by "accident" :D

Same predicament. But the only ones i';ve seen with Half-life 2 are the 9200se and the 9600 XT. If ya find one sam, give me a shout.

Sam Fisher
11-17-2004, 01:38 PM
I hope they have it packaged the X800 sometime soon...hopefully..

jokemaster
11-17-2004, 02:20 PM
I just got the gravity gun and am at Ravenholm. Game ****ing rules.

Treacherous Mercenary
11-17-2004, 02:57 PM
Whenever I can get a power adapter for my 9700 Pro, I'll get the game Friday. For some reason, I thought I'd get the adapter with the card, but got the card only. Great eh?

wassup
11-17-2004, 05:08 PM
I just got the gravity gun and am at Ravenholm. Game ****ing rules.

Amen to that. I declare the gravity gun the best FPS weapon ever.

GUNNER
11-17-2004, 11:21 PM
I got it loaded and have set my option but haven't had time to play it. I also got the Gold package and got my goodies in the mail on Monday. I looked through the book/guide and it is the best looking most indepth I have ever seen.

My hat is sweet as well. ;)

txa1265
11-17-2004, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by wassup
Amen to that. I declare the gravity gun the best FPS weapon ever. Aside from the lightsaber, of course, but that isn't really a FPS weapon ...

Mike

StormHammer
11-18-2004, 02:29 AM
The gravity gun is basically the way Force Throw should have been implemented in the last two Jedi Knight games. Shame.

But I wouldn't call it the best FPS weapon ever - if only for the fact you need a lot of 'ammo' lying conveniently around the place. That's not to say it isn't cool to use, though. :cool:

In my opinion, the game does have the best physics implementation of any FPS so far. It's not simply there to provide eye candy - they've managed to integrate it in meaningful ways in some of the 'puzzles' and in general gameplay. I'd have to say the ragdoll physics hasn't been overcooked either (which has been apparent in other games *cough*Deus Ex Invisible War*cough*), with enemies falling more naturally as they die. That's not to say that the physics isn't sometimes over used in the game.

My real problem with the game is that my rig simply isn't up to the task of running it properly. My CPU is admittedly under the minimum requirements - but I've played other games with similar minimum requirements and I've managed to achieve a smooth (if slow) framerate. Unfortunately HL2 is playing like an MP game with bad lag - stuttering, temporary freezes, sound repeats, etc. Where there's not too much action (or large open spaces) on screen it's playable, but then it will hit a particular section and it starts to really chug - a frame every few seconds.

Regardless of these problems I intend to keep at it until the game is finished (or until it simply crashes).

I think the air-boat ride was too long (and too similar in places). I couldn't help thinking about Far Cry as I went through those sections - because in Far Cry you largely had a choice to use a boat or not - you could swim or sometimes use other means to get from point A to point B in that game. IN HL2 you have to use the air-boat through those levels, because of some of the puzzles right up to the very end of that journey (and the fact that on foot you would rapidly die).

I've got as far as Ravenholm, at any rate (on the rooftops, where the game is chugging horrendously again because of the...

fast jolly jumpers with the headcrabs

...so I've taken a break. There's only so much 'lag' (and repeated deaths as a result) I can take in any given hour.

I just wish I could upgrade my rig, but that's out of the question at the moment.

Oh...and is it me, but do the graphics settings on low quality look far worse than Half-Life 1?

Crow_Nest
11-18-2004, 04:49 AM
Just beat the game on medium. The ending is kinda confusing to me

cause whatever the G-Man says doesnt make any sense

legameboy
11-18-2004, 11:17 AM
Meh, I've decided just to buy the regular retail version of Half-life 2. The retail collector's edition looks like a rip-off, compared to the digital gold version.

I only wish that Day of Defeat: Source was released for free to owners of the normal retail version of Half-life 2.

Crow_Nest
11-19-2004, 04:45 AM

I only wish that Day of Defeat: Source was released for free to owners of the normal retail version of Half-life 2.

Right now nothing about DOD is free (Execpt patches) Cause Day Of Defeat is already owned by Valve. Thats why the old DOD is for sale now.

And yes, TF2 isnt free either. (Obviously.....)

Samuel Dravis
11-19-2004, 05:18 AM
Hey, I don't know if you've already seen this, but it sounds interesting.

Linky (http://www.amdzone.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=80&page=1)

:cool:

Crow_Nest
11-19-2004, 05:51 AM
Originally posted by Dave Grohl
Same predicament. But the only ones i';ve seen with Half-life 2 are the 9200se and the 9600 XT. If ya find one sam, give me a shout.

I thought they were only bundeld with 9600XT, 9800XT and X800 chipsets?

Oh and btw samuel, interesting. Never knew there were MP in HL2. There were rumors of a hidden MP mode, but i thought it was just to fool multiplayer freaks.

Treacherous Mercenary
11-19-2004, 05:48 PM
Any original mods except CS isn't free from what it looks like... Suppose Valve is feeling money hungry..

legameboy
11-19-2004, 07:38 PM
Right now nothing about DOD is free (Execpt patches) Cause Day Of Defeat is already owned by Valve. Thats why the old DOD is for sale now.

And yes, TF2 isnt free either. (Obviously.....)

That's strange, because I downloaded the Day of Defeat mod for free, as well as Team Fortress. That was during the Half-life 1 days, though.

Mex
11-20-2004, 06:53 AM
I have a big problem.

http://img104.exs.cx/img104/7112/d1_canals_01a0000.jpg

I have no idea why that happens, I've updated my graphics card drivers and it still happened. Very strange problem.

My system:
Geforce 5900 128mb.
AMD Athlon 2200 + 1.8ghz
512MB Ram

Anyone know how to fix this?

Tyrion
11-20-2004, 07:28 AM
That's strange, because I downloaded the Day of Defeat mod for free, as well as Team Fortress. That was during the Half-life 1 days, though.

They're still free, you just need to have Half-life 1 enabled on your steam account to play them(unless that's changed).

Mex
11-20-2004, 08:14 AM
I got it to work! :D Back to Half Life 2!

Treacherous Mercenary
11-20-2004, 12:33 PM
I seem to be having a problem with Water Hazard now.. Odd, after passing the dam, everything gets corrupted..

Tyrion
11-20-2004, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by Treacherous Mercenary
I seem to be having a problem with Water Hazard now.. Odd, after passing the damn, everything gets corrupted..

At first, I thought you meant after passing the dam...but I realise what you mean.

Odd, after passing the curse, everything get's corrupted

Yeah, it makes sense. However, I don't think you pass along a curse in Half-life 2. :p

Mmm, what kind of corruption though? Is it only on certain walls or models, or is it like a pixelation of the screen?

Treacherous Mercenary
11-20-2004, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Tyrion

Mmm, what kind of corruption though? Is it only on certain walls or models, or is it like a pixelation of the screen?

It's on walls it happens to me.

Crow_Nest
11-20-2004, 08:56 PM

Yeah that was before it was owned by VAlve. Same goes for CS, it was free last time. And now you gotta pay for it.

Btw, those video issues usually happens when you overclock your video card too much. Clock it to a stable speed. See if running the game in different DirectX works.

Treacherous Mercenary
11-20-2004, 09:03 PM
Yeah that was before it was owned by VAlve. Same goes for CS, it was free last time. And now you gotta pay for it.

Btw, those video issues usually happens when you overclock your video card too much. Clock it to a stable speed. See if running the game in different DirectX works.

Seems my system is running a little hot with no overclocking involved as of late. Hope the new power supply helps it some aswell as the VGA Silencer.

legameboy
11-21-2004, 05:54 AM
Well, I bought Half-life 2 yesterday (and Half-life 2: Raising the Bar), and I am blown away. This is the best electronic game ever made. It took me 30 minutes to start playing Half-life 2, from the beginning of the installation to the starting up of the game.

Everything in this game is so... incredible. The immense use of physics, the beautiful shaders and textures, the amazing facial details, and the adrenaline-pumping action are all just blowing me away.

So far I've gotten to "We don't go there anymore..." (Ravenholm). I took a break because I don't enjoy the fact that headcrabs and zombies can burrow themselves... ^_^

My rampage of ranting and raving is over... but wow....

Mex
11-21-2004, 08:18 AM
So far I've gotten to "We don't go there anymore..." (Ravenholm)

Thats where I'm up to. Creepy, creepy place. :(

legameboy
11-21-2004, 08:34 AM
I'm scared silly and I haven't even seen a zombie or headcrab yet! :p

Why did they have to ruin the fun of playing catch with dog? That was so cool! :D

Treacherous Mercenary
11-21-2004, 10:17 AM
I resolved the problem now. I replayed Water Hazard and somehow skipped loading after getting past the dam... I'm right along now.

StormHammer
11-22-2004, 01:20 PM
In the interests of keeping this thread alive, I bring you some silly pics...

The real administrator of City 17 (http://www.robertbowen.co.uk/Blair17.jpg)

and

Remember to pack lots of ammo for the gravity gun (http://www.robertbowen.co.uk/Bringiton.jpg)

legameboy
11-22-2004, 03:51 PM
Those are hilarious!

Crow_Nest
11-22-2004, 05:18 PM
Something really cool near the ending.

Your manipulator gets abosorbed by the combine energy and becomes blue and VERY powerful. You can even grab and push bodies.