PDA

View Full Version : New Jedi Knight game??? (asking)

OKSTATE99
11-09-2004, 05:02 PM
About the time Battlefront came out, I was watching the network formerly know as tech tv, their gaming show Extended Play, after reviewing Battlefront. (I am paraphrasing of course)They said. There will be a slew of new Star War games coming out. Battlefront, KOTOR (december), SW Commando (in march) and a new Jedi Knight game later next year. This is only place I have heard this anything more than fan site rumor. Anyone else heard this?

If I missed the topic on this very sorry for the repost.

Joetheeskimo
11-09-2004, 05:38 PM
Eh...I'm not sure about a new JK game, I actually doubt LucasArts is really planning on getting a new one out, with all those other games in production...check lucasarts.com (http://www.lucasarts.com), if there is a new one coming out in that series, it would be announced there.

TheOutrider
11-09-2004, 05:46 PM
There probaly is cause the story in JA didn't really end so they are known continue plots.

Lightsaberboy
11-09-2004, 08:43 PM
maybe they were talking about the ep 3 game.

Evil Dark Jedi
11-09-2004, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by Lightsaberboy
maybe they were talking about the ep 3 game.

Thats what I was thinking.

Obi_Kwiet
11-10-2004, 04:34 AM
I hope they let that crappy JA storyline die. I could spend 5 min. and come up with something better.

Sivy
11-10-2004, 04:44 AM
they may be talking about the Darth Vader game that's supposed to be in the works. apparently its going to be released on PC in Q4 of 2005. a third person action game, very similar to the jedi knight series.

but that’s all speculation at this point.

toms
11-10-2004, 04:55 AM
why don't we get expansion packs anymore? JA could have been an expansion, anything to finish the JA story should be an expansion...

Maybe i'm just still mad they neve rfinished the story in XWA either! :mad:

BawBag™
11-10-2004, 05:10 AM
I think the only expansion we are going to see from the Jedi Knight series is from the modding community. Things like OJP and the Dark Forces Mod etc.

I doubt that another game is in the pipeline. But, y'never know...

Rogue15
11-10-2004, 05:46 AM
JA had the worst storyline ever. it was like some saturday morning cartoon.

Gabrobot
11-10-2004, 12:13 PM
I bet there's another Jedi Knight game in the works...after all the money brought in by Jedi Knight II and Jedi Academy, it would be odd for Lucasarts not to get another going. In fact, I bet that plans for it were started not long after Jedi Knight II was released...Jedi Academy was just going to be an expansion pack at that point. Then Jedi Academy became a bigger project and they decided to release it as a full game.

I bet Raven has, since Jedi Academy's release, started working on another Jedi Knight game...after all, what else is Raven working on? Quake IV...and...nothing else. They've been working on Quake IV since somewhere around 2001, so they should know their way around the Doom 3 engine pretty well by now.

Remember how Jedi Knight II was based on Raven's Quake III engine technology additions? That enabled Raven to make Jedi Knight II in a remarkably short period of time (in relation to modern games)...even Jedi Academy took longer to make if I remember correctly. In a similar fashion, another Jedi Knight game, using Quake IV's modified Doom 3 engine, could have been in development for about a year and be released sometime next year. All speculation, but it seems realistic considering the facts.

StormHammer
11-10-2004, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by Gabrobot
I bet Raven has, since Jedi Academy's release, started working on another Jedi Knight game...after all, what else is Raven working on? Quake IV...and...nothing else. They've been working on Quake IV since somewhere around 2001, so they should know their way around the Doom 3 engine pretty well by now.

I believe I read somewhere that there is a sequel to X-Men Legends planned - and Raven developed the first one, so they are probably going to do any sequel.

So that would make two games in production.

In recent years, though, Raven has had 3 games in production simultaneously. I'm not sure they would be working on another Jedi Knight game at this point - maybe their own IP. But who knows?

It would be good to see another game in the series - but completely revamped.

Leper Messiah
11-10-2004, 05:15 PM
hmmmm i dunno. i think lucasarts may see the ep 3 game as filling the JK space...

Gabrobot
11-10-2004, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by Leper Messiah
hmmmm i dunno. i think lucasarts may see the ep 3 game as filling the JK space...

Not if it's a console only game...I'm pretty sure Lucasarts is smart enough to know that the Jedi Knight series is popular as a PC game...I mean, they were smart enough to get a highly skilled and well established PC FPS developer to make Jedi Knight II and Jedi Academy, so they must know where the fan base lies...while Raven has recently developed a console only game, that's a rather odd exception to their usual games.

ImmolatedYoda
11-10-2004, 09:49 PM
Hmm...right now I can't decide which would look better: a JK3 - tentative title - in the Doom 3 engine (great lighting, not so great textures/models) or the Source engine (great textures/physics, not so special lighting). I really wouldn't care, as long as the game was at least as good as Jedi Knight and included a concussion rifle THAT WORKS LIKE IT DID IN DARK FORCES AND JEDI KNIGHT. The JA conc really felt like a let down. Stupid focus on saber combat :mad:. Actually, Stormhammer's avatar reminded me...UE3! Granted, a game with that engine won't even be out until late 2005 at the earliest...

Rogue15
11-10-2004, 11:01 PM
MOTS 2 PLAESE!!!!

Evil Dark Jedi
11-10-2004, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by Rogue15
MOTS 2 PLAESE!!!!

Now that would be good.

Astrotoy7
11-10-2004, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by Rogue15
MOTS 2 PLAESE!!!!

great....we have entered the realm of fanboy fantasy and poor spelling :p

well, while we're at it, a Rogue Squadron 4 wouldnt be too bad :D

mtfbwya

CapNColostomy
11-10-2004, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by Astrotoy7

mtfbwya

Werd, son! And a new X-Wing Alliance wouldn't hurt a bit either! The original was great.

Shok_Tinoktin
11-10-2004, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by CapNColostomy
And a new X-Wing Alliance wouldn't hurt a bit either!

They could call it TIE-Fighter Alliance!

Sabretooth
11-10-2004, 11:51 PM
Unlikely. If it is going to be made though, it should be after Quake IV, since I'm a bit bored with SW on the Q3 engine. Still, LA is too secretive. They're planning on a SW RTS from Pyroglyph or something, according to Gamespot.

Redwing
11-10-2004, 11:57 PM
Fantasy wishlist:

1) Mysteries of the Sith 2 (Hey, why not another Mara Jade game? :D And please, MotS/JK world style, not JO/JA world style)
2) X-Wing Alliance 2
3) Any bloody Rogue Squadron game for PC
4) Rogue Squadron sequel (not prequel)

...maybe this should be a new topic ;)

Evil Dark Jedi
11-11-2004, 12:12 AM
Originally posted by Astrotoy7

mtfbwya

Now that would be good aswell.

Crow_Nest
11-11-2004, 05:47 AM
Originally posted by JediMasterDude
There probaly is cause the story in JA didn't really end so they are known continue plots.

Yeah, cause JA has 2 different endings and Jaden could be anybody (Like you get to chose the gender, clothes...etc)

If they release a JK4 that continues JA it would kinda spoil the game for those who havent completed it yet.

Sivy
11-11-2004, 05:59 AM
Tie Fighter 2

that would be cool :D

Gabrobot
11-11-2004, 07:24 AM
Originally posted by ImmolatedYoda
...in the Doom 3 engine (great lighting, not so great textures/models)...

Well, keep in mind that Doom 3 had lower texture resolutions then it may have if they knew the game wouldn't come out until this year. By this time next year the issue should be moot...just take a look at Quake IV's screenshots. Oh, and model-wise, an interesting thing I found is that the Alyx model in Half Life 2 actually has more poly's then this (http://www.unrealtechnology.com/screens/character_creation3.jpg) model in the UE 3.0 tech demo. I think that does a pretty good job showing that you only need so many poly's before the surface shading becomes more eimportant. :D

Joetheeskimo
11-11-2004, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by Sivy
Tie Fighter 2

that would be cool :D

Oooh yeah, I loved that game :D An awesome classic :thumbsup:

Dath Maximus
11-11-2004, 08:25 AM
if they do make another one, i think we all agree we should be able to customize the character into many many many different races

everyone wants to be a jedi ewok

Dont deny it

Ragnos
11-11-2004, 08:58 AM
I want to end Kyles story! Lets get a new JK game! :D

toms
11-11-2004, 09:42 AM
I have two entirely confliting wishes.

On the one hand i hope they resurect some of their classic series, on the other hand i hope they do something new and original and stop churning out "star wars mods" for popular genres.

I'm not surprised raven managed to churn them out so quick, they were fairly shallow and unpolished. Hopefully if another is made then they will put a bit more thought and originality and time into it.

JO and JA did ok, but not amazing. And they weren't unique enough to create many obsessive new fans (i would think). People played them, enjoyed them, moved on. Not like lucasarts games of old.

the EP3 game looks a lot more like a console platform game along the lines of ob1, Ep1 or JPB than a JK style game.
-------------
MOTS2 (or infact a prequel would rock). As long as it was closer to the feel of JK2 and less to the feel of JO. I always liked Mara Jade...

Unfortunately the JK games (all of them) suffer from the "building powers" problem. Sequels to games like quake are easy... as you don't gain much except weapons... then in the next game you regain them. But in almost every jedi game people want to become saber and force masters... meaning it gets tricky when you get to the sequel and have to explain why they need to do it all again. They have also kind of exausted most of the original timeline, most of kyle's character development and moved into very very EU territory. Makes it hard to see where they would go from here. I think the JO series is pretty much tapped out of ideas and room to maneuver.

Take the feel of original JK/MOTS. Combine it with several of the great idea from KOTOR (such as force distribution) and then you might get something good.

Settings could be:
Darth Vader - Regain powers after your injury as you hunt down the remaining jedi.
Aurra Sing - Prequel era, but again a good reason for hunting jedi and a good mix of force and bountyhunter.
Mara Jade (MOTS Prequel) - Start as emperor's hand. Loose powers. Slowly move to light side.
Dark Kyle - Follow the dark side kyle ending of JK. try to take over empire.
Or just get more freedom by setting it in the KOTOR time period and making a JK style branching plot.
Instead of learning all powers as you go, you could start as one alignment (dark) then change alignments... slowly causing you to loose your powers as you get to neutral and have to use weapons, and then move over to light side and gain new powers. Would at least change the "no-powers->powers" pacing.

------------------------
A sequel to Tie fighter is probably one of the most keenly sought games ever among SW game fans. It still regularly gets voted as one of the best games of all time. Unfortunately i suspect they are concentrating on the travesty that is jump to lightspeed, and won't want to split the audience for that. (most of whom are looking for an XvT clone and will be disappointed).

A decent branching singleplayer game where you are a han-solo type character who has to buy and maintain equipment and choose jobs from factions (GTA/Mechwarrior Mercenaries, etc..) and can eventually choose empire or rebelion would be the best bet. And a multiplayer that mixed XvT with Allegience (awesome online space combat game) would rule.
---------------------
Rogue squadron has sequels, loads of them (battle for naboo, clone wars, rogue leader, rebel strike). Oddly, it is basically a sequel to Shadows of the empire, where they dumped the rubbish on foot sections and concentrated on the flying.
Now IT'S sequels have slowly re-inserted the rubbish on foot sections.
---------------------
I'd quite like them to have another go at Supremacy... a decently done, full 3d 4X starwars game would rock.
-----------------------
But on the whole i just wish lucasarts would get some original people, take a few risks and try some NEW things, rather than just jumping on the tail of the bandwagon of whatever is the big new genre.

Evil Dark Jedi
11-11-2004, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by Ragnos
I want to end Kyles story! Lets get a new JK game! :D

That would be great aswell.

Doomie
11-12-2004, 02:37 AM
My fanboy wishlist:

Morrowind, starwars style.
New Jedi Knight game.
Whatever you guys said.

In no particular order.