PDA

View Full Version : <3 Valve


GothiX
11-18-2004, 10:48 AM
Not because I like their latest release so much, but rather because of this (http://halflife2.filefront.com/news/;13907). Sheer brilliance :D

Alegis
11-18-2004, 10:52 AM
That is brilliant. They spent a lot of money in this project and so far are doing well in fighting piracy (you need to unlock the game files after you buy the game etc).
They sure know how to laugh at pirates,
though I think they announced it too soon.

jon_hill987
11-18-2004, 11:22 AM
Much as I hate software pirates, (and I do) I cannot help thinking that it is us, the paying coustemer who has to suffer. Half-life 2 looks like an excelent game, but it needs an internet conection to run. lots of people still don't have an internet conection. I know they are only trying to stop piracy but i feel like half-life 2 is not a propper game somehow, that there is something missing. the disk that you went out to buy isn't the game, you need more, and i think that is wrong.

Mex
11-18-2004, 11:51 AM
Hahahha, those pirates are gonna get owned. XD

legameboy
11-18-2004, 12:15 PM
That's awesome! :D

ET Warrior
11-18-2004, 12:21 PM
I'm glad that Valve is taking proactive steps to stop Piracy, but from everything I've heard, they've gone about it in a way that causes almost as much trouble for the people who legitimately want to play the game.

Firstly, like Jon_hill said, what if you dont HAVE an internet connection? You are not allowed to play Half-Life 2 I suppose, and what happens if your internet goes down? Typically when MY internet goes down that's when the most Single Player video gaming gets done, what else will I do?

Then there's the fact that it apparently takes two hour to install this game (well worth the wait, again from what I hear) but that's just crazy.

Then the people who purchased hard copies of the game didn't even get to install it when they got it because of an error, and so on and so forth.

In the end, I laugh at the Pirates, but I still think Valve doesn't deserve much praise for this method.

IG-64
11-18-2004, 12:29 PM
I'm lucky, I have dsl, so my internet always runs.

I bought the game, took it home, and installed it. Sure it took forever to install , and sure it was a pain in the a**, but it sure was worth it.


Half Life 2 rules!

RoxStar
11-18-2004, 12:59 PM
HA!

Microsoft tried to do this with XP and failed miserably.

TiE23
11-18-2004, 01:47 PM
I was going to buy it today, but my mom gave me the whole "You can wait for Christmas." excuse even though I was planning on buying it my self, not as an early X-Mas present.
But even when I told her that, she said I didn't need it because I just got Halo 2....... WTF!!???
:mad:

TiE

The_One
11-18-2004, 02:29 PM
They may delay the pirates, and screw a few things up for some of them - but they'll find a way around it, they always do.

There is not a game or piece of software written that has not been cracked by someone. Don't you worry, illegitimate copies of HL2 will be floating round the scene in no time, and Valve won't have a hope in hell of controlling it.

Tis a shame really, because this game really *is* worth the price tag attached. Which is a lot more than can be said for most of the drivel polluting the gaming industry at the moment...

Troopr-Undr-Fir
11-18-2004, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by TiE 23
I was going to buy it today, but my mom gave me the whole "You can wait for Christmas." excuse even though I was planning on buying it my self, not as an early X-Mas present.
But even when I told her that, she said I didn't need it because I just got Halo 2....... WTF!!???
:mad:

TiE

Bahahaha! OWNED! :rofl:


Sheesh, it's sad people can't be trusted not to be dicks :rolleyes:

wassup
11-18-2004, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by ET Warrior

Firstly, like Jon_hill said, what if you dont HAVE an internet connection? You are not allowed to play Half-Life 2 I suppose, and what happens if your internet goes down? Typically when MY internet goes down that's when the most Single Player video gaming gets done, what else will I do?


There is a way where you can play Half-Life 2 in offline mode, but you still have to install the game first (or activate it if you bought a hard copy) from Steam.

TiE23
11-18-2004, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by Troopr-Undr-Fir
Bahahaha! OWNED! :rofl:


Sheesh, it's sad people can't be trusted not to be dicks :rolleyes: *plots to murder you in your sleep*
:evil6:

TiE

RoxStar
11-18-2004, 06:34 PM
TiE, please don't complain, the only way I'm getting this game is if Best Buy is nice to me and doesn't ask me for ID:(

Datheus
11-18-2004, 06:45 PM
The main problem I have with this is I've read many accounts where people cannot register their game because the Valve Authetication servers are so bogged down. So, instead, they go and download a cracked copy so they can play the goddamn game they paid for.

Another interesting point: what happens 5 years from now? Will the Half Life 2 authentication servers still be up and running? What happens when you want to take a trip down memory lane and install that ole Half Life 2 again? And if the authentication servers are no longer in service?

You paid for this game. At an arguably over-inflated price, even. Should you not be allowed to have not only a backup copy, but a copy that runs the way you want as well?

Yes, to a certain extent, these companies need to protect their market. But at what point to do we leave the realm of a fair market and enter corporate totalitarianism?

acdcfanbill
11-18-2004, 07:06 PM
well ppl can do like me, and not buy software that is operated in the manner valve does. I was pretty excited about HL2 until valve unveiled the steam program. I'll prob check the game out at my buddies house since he got it w/ his ati card, but im certianly not paying valve to keep tabs on me.

jon_hill987
11-19-2004, 12:44 AM
Yeah, I'm not gonna get It. Not yet anyway, I'm hoping when it comes out on buget (5 years?) they will have dropped the whole steam thing.

I'm playing half-life 1 through steam but only because I like DMC, I was shocked when I loaded up half-life to play it online and it told me i needed steam.

Oh and as for the steam offline mode, it's a pain in the behind and dosn't always work properly. not for me anyway.

txa1265
11-19-2004, 03:09 AM
It took over an hour for me to install (had to stretch that lunch hour ;) ) ... and yesterday decided to talk to Steam for a while for 'checking files' ... for about 10-15 minutes. I have broadband at work and home, but given I have the disks and have no care about MP, I find this annoying to say the least.

Especially since I'm also playing the 'other' Source engine game, Vampires the Masquerade: Bloodlines, which had a normal, non-Steam install, and starts right up every time.

Mike

acdcfanbill
11-19-2004, 06:13 AM
ahh, vampire the masquarade bloodlines, i've been looking at that, is it good?

toms
11-19-2004, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by jon_hill987 the disk that you went out to buy isn't the game, you need more, and i think that is wrong.

I think this was legally cleared up on slashdot a while back. The thing you are buying isn't the game, it is a license to play the game plus a blank disk (that may or may not contain a workig version of the game).

This is true with almost all software now, and is what you agree to when you click YES on the EULA.
I think it is wrong and shouldn't be legal, but what do i know. At the very least, if they are going to do it that way, i think shops should be forced to have big signs in the software section to point out that (unlike the cds etc..) you are buying a license, not a physical product. And the license should have to be printed on the outside of the box.
But what do i know...

Is bloodlines any good, i have heard almost nothing about it, but the little i did see made it seem very cool and almost like a sucessor to deus ex?

txa1265
11-19-2004, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by acdcfanbill
ahh, vampire the masquarade bloodlines, i've been looking at that, is it good? If I had to choose between that and HL2 I wouldn't have to even think ... I'd never see Steam again ;)

Mike

StormHammer
11-19-2004, 07:20 AM
Okay, as strange as this may seem - Half-Life 2 only took 45 minutes to install on my computer (from putting the disc in to starting a new game), and that included registering a new steam account and logging into it. I mean, my PC is a relic, and I do have broadband - but still, I can't understand why some people are having such long install times (unless it is purely down to the steam authentication taking too long). I guess I was just lucky.

As for playing offline - I've yet to convince steam to play ball on that one. If I switch my modem off, steam comes up with a dialog box offering to switch to offline mode - then promptly comes up with an error message that prevents the game from loading. So I have to be online to start the game - and then I can switch the modem off after it's loaded. Which is a bit redundant by that point. :rolleyes:

Regarding piracy - as far as I know the game has already been hacked, and so pirates are already playing it without having to jump through all these hoops Valve have set up. In short, the anti-piracy measures are completely pointless, and have served yet again to provide the legitimate customers with problems. I don't agree with piracy - but I also don't agree with legitimate customers having to put up with measures that can either get in the way of their enjoyment, or even prevent them from playing the game.

As others have said, if Valve were to go out of business in the next couple of years - does this mean no one (except pirates) will be able to play Half-Life 2 in the future? I have to wonder...

txa1265
11-19-2004, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by toms
Is bloodlines any good, i have heard almost nothing about it, but the little i did see made it seem very cool and almost like a sucessor to deus ex? I think it is excellent, and there have been many Deus Ex comparisons ... I think it is more RPG-based and less FPS than DX, but the comparison is fair. I like the ability for hacking computers, picking locks, and so on. The implementation of dialog options for persuade, seduce, intimidate, etc are very well done.

Sorry ... have to go spend my lunch hour drinking blood ;)

Mike

Alegis
11-19-2004, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by Datheus
The main problem I have with this is I've read many accounts where people cannot register their game because the Valve Authetication servers are so bogged down. So, instead, they go and download a cracked copy so they can play the goddamn game they paid for.

No problem here, not even once, not even with other friends. It may be this problem only striked them, or is an excuse.


Another interesting point: what happens 5 years from now? Will the Half Life 2 authentication servers still be up and running?
Half Life was 6 years ago, and they still got the master server for mp back then. I think "what will happen in 30 years" is a better Q, cause I don't think they'll be gone at all in even 7years. Keeping the authentication servers up is like keeping a webserver up. Sure now they had a lot of servers cause of the rush, but in a year orso..

They went far with piracy protection, but thats for a very anticipated game which is SP only ATM (and MP if you know how to use the console). Retail buyers suffer from this, but at least a significant number of them was 'converted'. Retail buyers suffer for every game (that extra 5$). I doubt other games would follow the same anti piracy concept

acdcfanbill
11-19-2004, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by toms
I think this was legally cleared up on slashdot a while back. The thing you are buying isn't the game, it is a license to play the game plus a blank disk (that may or may not contain a workig version of the game).

This is true with almost all software now, and is what you agree to when you click YES on the EULA.
I think it is wrong and shouldn't be legal, but what do i know. At the very least, if they are going to do it that way, i think shops should be forced to have big signs in the software section to point out that (unlike the cds etc..) you are buying a license, not a physical product. And the license should have to be printed on the outside of the box.
But what do i know...


i dont have any examples, but im 99% sure ive read of cases before that you cannot be held to a contract that you have to agree to after you purchese the software. you would have to agree to the ELUA as you were buying the software. if i made a deal with a company for a million widgets and paid them, but when the stuff arrived in trucks the guys who were gonna unload them handed me a form that said 'these widgets can only be used in said manner'and they listed all the restraints on the widgets. That kind of business practice would be put to an end shortly. but since we are lowly middle class working people, we have to put up with corperate shenanigans.

Datheus
11-19-2004, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by Alegis
Half Life was 6 years ago, and they still got the master server for mp back then. I think "what will happen in 30 years" is a better Q, cause I don't think they'll be gone at all in even 7years. Keeping the authentication servers up is like keeping a webserver up. Sure now they had a lot of servers cause of the rush, but in a year orso..

7 years is a long time. What if Valve goes belly up? Or Sierra decides to terminated the Half Life services?

Jed
11-19-2004, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by StormHammer
As for playing offline - I've yet to convince steam to play ball on that one. If I switch my modem off, steam comes up with a dialog box offering to switch to offline mode - then promptly comes up with an error message that prevents the game from loading. So I have to be online to start the game - and then I can switch the modem off after it's loaded. Which is a bit redundant by that point. :rolleyes:

Have you set Steam up to save your password? That was the kicker for me.

Tyrion
11-19-2004, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by Datheus
7 years is a long time. What if Valve goes belly up? Or Sierra decides to terminated the Half Life services?

First off, Sierra doesn't exist as a company anymore. Secondly, Steam is solely owned and operated by Valve. That's why you couldn't activate Steam or Retail copies until the 16th, as each dollar made off Steam goes to Valve while there's the publisher's fees with the retail copies. Obviously, the publisher Vivendi didn't want more Steam sales, as that's less money they recieve, so they wanted Valve to not release the activation file until the 16th.

And the way I see it, by the time that Valve itself goes out of buisness, Half-life 2 will be a distant memory(and that they would've released the activation file for free)

Treacherous Mercenary
11-19-2004, 06:40 PM
Seems to have only taken me 30 minutes to install, but I see a bit of diservice to us all aswell as some have pointed out... If I truely want to play HL2, I have to use steam and it requires me to connect. Great going Valve. :rolleyes:

RoxStar
11-19-2004, 07:07 PM
:D

http://www.steamlessproject.nl/

They're having some bandwidth problems though...:(

legameboy
11-19-2004, 08:52 PM
I don't mind what they're doing at all. It's about time we start moving ahead concerning things like this.

toms
11-22-2004, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by acdcfanbill
i dont have any examples, but im 99% sure ive read of cases before that you cannot be held to a contract that you have to agree to after you purchese the software. you would have to agree to the ELUA as you were buying the software. if i made a deal with a company for a million widgets and paid them, but when the stuff arrived in trucks the guys who were gonna unload them handed me a form that said 'these widgets can only be used in said manner'and they listed all the restraints on the widgets. That kind of business practice would be put to an end shortly. but since we are lowly middle class working people, we have to put up with corperate shenanigans.

I would think that too... but apparently some US court recently help up that EULAs COULD be counted as legal, even if you didn't bother reading them ( i always thought they couldn't) (assuming they didn't make you do anything illegal). So your only option would be to thoroughly read the EULA on installation, and then return it whole to the store if you didn't like it. (Of course, many stores don't like accepting returned PC games). On a side not, if you managed to install the game WITHOUT using their installer and getting the EULA you might actually be OK, but then that might be anti-DCMA. Crazy. grrr...

----------------

Im about to get HL2, so someone break down how it works for me. Do i have to have the full version of steam running in the background the whole time i am playing, or does it just do a little connection to the internet when you start the game (a bit like other software that checks for updates?)

I generally try not to have lots of programmes running in the background when playing games...

----------------

Bloodlines looks like an interesting cross between KOTOR and Deus Ex... though i do wish it was a little more FPS (apparently ranged weapons are severly underpowered) and a litle less RPG. Hopefully they will bring out a patch that sorts out the balance, then i might consider buying it...

I want another Deus EX (the first one, not the second...)

GothiX
11-22-2004, 11:53 AM
Bloodlines kicks ass, and I know Pie is with me on this, for one.

ET Warrior
11-22-2004, 02:26 PM
Originally posted by legameboy
I don't mind what they're doing at all. It's about time we start moving ahead concerning things like this.

But that's the problem, is that they're really not going to accomplish much. The hackers will eventually break it, and they will distribute the warez versions and the pirates will still get what they want.

The people who paid for and legitimately own the game, however, will suffer.

toms
11-23-2004, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by toms
someone break down how it works for me. Do i have to have the full version of steam running in the background the whole time i am playing, or does it just do a little connection to the internet when you start the game? (a bit like other software that checks for updates?)

I generally try not to have lots of programmes running in the background when playing games...


anyone?

Alegis
11-23-2004, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by toms

Im about to get HL2, so someone break down how it works for me. Do i have to have the full version of steam running in the background the whole time i am playing, or does it just do a little connection to the internet when you start the game (a bit like other software that checks for updates?)

When launching HL2 steam will start up first (not sure if it checks on the internet, I'm pretty sure it only needs internet connection once and that is after installation (unlocking game files))

Steam cannot be shut down when hl2.exe is running. ("A steam application is currently running"). If you use task manager to quit it you get stuff like this (attachment) so I don't recommend closing it, the ~42mb of ram it uses (at least on the menu screen) are spent on the game.

Sabretooth
11-24-2004, 02:25 AM
Darn.

I mean, those Pirates are pwned! Valve has probably found the best way against piracy!

txa1265
11-24-2004, 02:58 AM
Originally posted by Sabretooth
Darn.

I mean, those Pirates are pwned! Valve has probably found the best way against piracy! Except for the fact that there are already no-Steam hacks available.

My anti-piracy rants aside, realistically piracy differs from no other crime in that the preventative measures to stop it hurt legal people more than the criminals, who will find a new way to flaunt the law.

Fortunately, after my one 'Steam checking files' incident after the long install process, I never had to wait very long at startup.

Mike

toms
11-24-2004, 07:38 AM
Thanks for the info Alegis!!!!:D

Since there are already no-steam hacks available, surely most of the people they have banned aren't people with pirate copies, but people who bought the game and then used no-cd hacks so they didn't have to keep switching cds???
It does seem like they are punishing the legit users and completely missing the pirates....

Thrawn42689
11-24-2004, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by jon_hill987
Half-life 2 looks like an excelent game, but it needs an internet conection to run. lots of people still don't have an internet conection.

The game comes with a Free AOL Trial disc.

toms
11-25-2004, 05:22 AM
Originally posted by Thrawn42689
The game comes with a Free AOL Trial disc.

so valve actually ARE evil!!!!?

txa1265
11-25-2004, 05:52 AM
Originally posted by toms
so valve actually ARE evil!!!!? Look for the pods.

Mike

Agen
11-27-2004, 04:56 PM
NewsFlash: It doesn't work.
Very easy to get this game working without having your steam account fried and banned for life. Firewall can easily stop outgoing stuff from using the ports like steam as well the fact there are many fixes so that Valve will never know you've pirated the game.
Sure if you're a dumbass you'll get caught pirating and banned for life, but it is pretty simple to pirate.

Verdict - Steam no worky.