PDA

View Full Version : Are Rip-Offs fun ??


Astrotoy7
11-20-2004, 11:18 PM
Hmm.. Im gonna start by blaming ET for this, but after reading his(and others elsewhere) rants about LOTR : The Third Age and its similarity to Final Fantasy, I was intrigued to check it out(of course many know I'm LFs resident Final Fantasy Phreak)....

I managed to borrow it from a friend, and as much as the game is a DOWNRIGHT DIRTY RIP-OFF on Final Fantasy (namely FFX and its CTB battle system) I have to admit it is fun, and the story relatively interesting, and the graphics quite nice....

but despite the content, it still feels odd that the merits of this game is not in the gameplay.... I dunno.... :(

has anyone else played this ? what do y'all think


mtfbwya

Darth Rythe
11-20-2004, 11:39 PM
Guess what!!!!


I've never seen or played any FF

Astrotoy7
11-21-2004, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by MATTYBE
Guess what!!!!


I've never seen or played any FF

guess what !!!
who gives a f*K .... !!!

matty, seriously, if you had nothing to say, you should have said nothing at all.... :(

If I ever come to Toowoomba, I *will* kick your a$$ :p

mtfbwya

txa1265
11-21-2004, 05:30 AM
In a way, the point he made is 'it doesn't *feel* derivitive if you've never played the original. Sort of like people who thought Forest Gump was the first movie to insert people in old filmstrips.

Mike

Mike Windu
11-21-2004, 06:41 AM
The sooner you realize it's a dirty ripoff of the fellowship the better your game experience will be :p

It does resemble FF a little bit in terms of combat, but uh.. FF... come on now. FF does everything RPG. Only new system I've seen is KOTOR supposedly. And Kingdom Hearts, although it is made by Square Enix :D



Kingdom Hearts roxx0rz my b0xxorz




:)

Astrotoy7
11-22-2004, 02:09 AM
Originally posted by txa1265
In a way, the point he made is 'it doesn't *feel* derivitive if you've never played the original.

Mike

Mike, dont try make Matty sound smarter than he actually is ! :p
I know the chap well enough to tell you he is a dimwit of the highest calibre :D

Mike, I cant even fathom what your trying to say ?? The only thing i havent come across in this game is the puzzle solving, which gave me the shytes in FFX and FFx-2

mtfbwya

Kain
11-22-2004, 06:43 AM
If its a rip off of FFX or FFX-2, all I've got to say is 'What the flying **** is EA Games thinking?!?!'

I ****ing hate FFX and Pretty Princess Dress Me Up...er FFX-2.

Lest we forget all The Third Age is is a ploy of EA Games to use the likenesses of Viggo, Orlando, ect. ect. without actually USING the likenesses of Viggo, Orlando, ect. ect. and thus they don't have to pay them.

Darth Groovy
11-22-2004, 09:32 AM
Serious Sam is a blatent rip off of many games that uses it's own unique engine, and it is a WHOLE lot of fun!

txa1265
11-22-2004, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by Astrotoy7
Mike, dont try make Matty sound smarter than he actually is ! :p
I know the chap well enough to tell you he is a dimwit of the highest calibre :D

Mike, I cant even fathom what your trying to say ?? The only thing i havent come across in this game is the puzzle solving, which gave me the shytes in FFX and FFx-2

mtfbwya I didn't say it was a good point, or that I agreed ... I've never played any FF game (except some Final Fantasy Tactics Advance on the GBA), nor LOTR The Third Age, so ...


Mike

Mike Windu
11-22-2004, 03:45 PM
I despise FF Tactics


So... blek... give me Fire Emblem any day :D

Astrotoy7
11-23-2004, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by Kain
If its a rip off of FFX or FFX-2, all I've got to say is 'What the flying **** is EA Games thinking?!?!'

I ****ing hate FFX and Pretty Princess Dress Me Up...er FFX-2.

Lest we forget all The Third Age is is a ploy of EA Games to use the likenesses of Viggo, Orlando, ect. ect. without actually USING the likenesses of Viggo, Orlando, ect. ect. and thus they don't have to pay them.

You seem miss the point, as you are so champion at doing :D

EA has long ago acquired the license, so using reams of LOTR footage, being able to talk about dwarves and elves and saruman etc, not to mention the voice Ian McWhatever(Gandalf) in TTA doesnt mean they were cutting corners costwise. Where it seems to rip off FFX, is the CTB battle system, and the party selection mechanism during battles. There no whiny Rikky, no airships, no blitzball, no freakin crap characters like Wakka you only use twice.... Theres no spheres no crytals, no aeons, thus it is NOT Final Fantasy.... In fact the leveling up system is quite simplistic, which I find quite refreshing :D Poor first timers who start to play a FF game after FFVII would need to spend a cpl of hours reading help hints from moogles before they got the gist of things :D

I am having too much fun playing this game and will stop canning it, despite it being a rip off... :D Just as Groovy mentioned with Sam n Max....things that borrow from other things can still be fun :p

mtfbwya

Kain
11-23-2004, 07:14 PM
You gotta remember that no game is truley original in ANY sense.