PDA

View Full Version : message board annoyances


Leper Messiah
11-22-2004, 01:56 AM
what annoys you on a message board (generally speaking, before you all rush to type TiE or some other genius witty answer) for me the answer is:

ESSAY POSTS

i dont understand how people muster the will to type them, and wether or not anyone reads them thoroughly. essay posts send me straight into skim reading mode. its especially annoying over in the Senate forum where in order to continue arguing effectively you have to read them. it drains the will to live!

so what other annoyances do you guys find about message boards in general

Boba Rhett
11-22-2004, 01:58 AM
TiE. Bwahahahahha -err oh wait, ****.

...


Eh, I got nothing.




Wait wait, trolls! Goatse trolls, especially.




nothing but love, TiE. Nothing but love. :D

IG-64
11-22-2004, 02:00 AM
When a good thread gets locked because people are posting crap in it and flaming each other and going off topic.

coupes.
11-22-2004, 02:42 AM
I'm leaving ! and I'm back ! threads, along with the It's my birthday ! ones...

StormHammer
11-22-2004, 02:42 AM
I enjoy reading (and writing) long posts. :p

Force Long Posts for evah! :cool:

Message Board annoyances? Hmmm...

Trolls

People with huge Sigs that are always longer than the posts they make.

People who tell other people to get lost or shut up just because they've stated their opinion, ie, intolerance.

People who post largely in 1337 speak.

People who post 30-40 lines of text without a single punctuation mark and ramble on endlessly without taking a single breath in a long diabtribe about the ins and outs of this or that and then join other sentences to their previous sentences so they can ramble even more and not make a great deal of sense because they are always typing without punctuation and simply don't care that other people find it difficult to read or understand especially when they use word combinations that are open to misinterpretation and can thereby completely change the meaning of what the poster meant to say but didnt.

Trojans, viruses, pop-up ads, broken links, and down time.

If I think of anything else, I'll annoy you with it. :p

Astrotoy7
11-22-2004, 02:45 AM
HUGE sigs give me the shytes

as do metallica fans

and TiE

mtfbwya

Spider AL
11-22-2004, 02:53 AM
Hmm.

Kawaii.

People who accuse others of intolerance for contradicting them in a civil manner. It's called discussion, people.

Leper Messiah
11-22-2004, 03:31 AM
Originally posted by Astrotoy7


as do metallica fans


silence, infidel!

Sivy
11-22-2004, 03:58 AM
Originally posted by StormHammer

People who post 30-40 lines of text without a single punctuation mark and ramble on endlessly without taking a single breath in a long diabtribe about the ins and outs of this or that and then join other sentences to their previous sentences so they can ramble even more and not make a great deal of sense because they are always typing without punctuation and simply don't care that other people find it difficult to read or understand especially when they use word combinations that are open to misinterpretation and can thereby completely change the meaning of what the poster meant to say but didnt.



i tried reading that out loud, but I passed out before i could finish :D

my major annoyance is, as stormy has already said, is the My opinion is the right one, yours doesn’t matter… I’m right, you're wrong… la la la I’m not listening to you attitude that some people have.

ckcsaber
11-22-2004, 04:33 AM
:rolleyes: :dozey:

^^^^^^^^^^
These 2 smilies

CapNColostomy
11-22-2004, 04:53 AM
Originally posted by Leper Messiah
what annoys you on a message board (generally speaking, before you all rush to type TiE or some other genius witty answer) for me the answer is:


so what other annoyances do you guys find about message boards in general

Generally speaking, in general what annoys me about message boards are...yeah. Some of the messages.

Leper Messiah
11-22-2004, 05:12 AM
Originally posted by Sivy


my major annoyance is, as stormy has already said, is the My opinion is the right one, yours doesn’t matter… I’m right, you're wrong… la la la I’m not listening to you attitude that some people have.

yea can be a problem, especially over in the senate, im always very careful to use phrases like "in my opinion" and "so far as i know" and things like that because i know that (a) i dont know everything there is to know about most things and (b) i dont want to look like im claiming that im always right, cos im not :)

Alegis
11-22-2004, 05:34 AM
Originally posted by coupes.
I'm leaving ! and I'm back ! threads
Leaving for vac/absence or

"IM GONNA LEAVE YOU ALL FORRR GOOODD" topics? Cause i hate the latter

What I hate even more are posters in a 'debate' that keep on rambling on a thing which has already been countered a million times but they refuse to read the quotes and go on.

ET Warrior
11-22-2004, 06:37 AM
Originally posted by Sivy
imy major annoyance is the My opinion is the right one, yours doesn’t matter… I’m right, you're wrong… la la la I’m not listening to you attitude that some people have.

Yeah, like anyone cares what you think about the subject.

Generally speaking, in general what annoys me about message boards are...yeah. Some of the messages.
I'm annoyed by people who use the word general more than once in a sentence.



<.<


>.>


I am only keeeding


both times.



:D

Kain
11-22-2004, 06:40 AM
Endless ranting about a spoon.

Agen
11-22-2004, 06:48 AM
Oooh, a negative thread :naughty:

intolerance (not of fools of course),
Sig images smaller than the maximum (^ :p)
bashing of witty answers,
Trolls who don't incorporate humour into their act,
People who pass judgement on things that they were never copletely or even there to witness,
short off-topic posts,
people who take themselves over-seriously,
Changing or shortnening names,
people who don't react to a good noising up,
whiners who can't play the game,
whiners who claim it takes no skill to win yet repeatedly get beat(these 2 mostly jkoc and ja release),
attention seekers,
Accepting cocky new forum-goers into the forum,
Ass-kissers,
people who can't take honest criticism,
people who can't accept that they have been proven wrong,
console folk who think they're always right,
ginger haired people,
failed funny attempts,
totally misleading thread titles,
boasting of computer systems (seriously...)

That's about it for now. :)

Leper Messiah
11-22-2004, 06:49 AM
Originally posted by Agen_Terminator
Oooh, a negative thread :naughty:


i know, im so rebellious :rolleyes: :D

Sivy
11-22-2004, 06:50 AM
Originally posted by ET Warrior
Yeah, like anyone cares what you think about the subject.



you're wrong! la la la I’m not listening to you

:D

Kain
11-22-2004, 06:52 AM
Originally posted by Sivy
you're wrong! la la la I’m not listening to you

:D

No you're wrong! You're all wrong! Only teh spoon is teh r1ght 0n3!!111onetwotoneeleventybillion11122!!!!

Agen
11-22-2004, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by Kain
No you're wrong! You're all wrong! Only teh spoon is teh r1ght 0n3!!111onetwotoneeleventybillion11122!!!!

You see?
It's growing on you ;)

Captain Wilson
11-22-2004, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by Agen_Terminator

ginger haired people,
failed funny attempts

Agen hates me :(
:D

Religous threads annoy me

Rogue15
11-22-2004, 09:01 AM
every thread in the senate forum. :D which is why i stopped posting there. (made an ass out of myself too many times to count lol)

spelling nazis. XD

lame polls....though i post/vote in them. :rolleyes:

Dath Maximus
11-22-2004, 09:05 AM
moderators and admins


and trolls

ET Warrior
11-22-2004, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by Rogue15
spelling nazis. XD

You suck at life. :p

Darth Groovy
11-22-2004, 09:24 AM
My biggest annoyances, in no particular order:

"Who's hotter? (poll topics)"

"I'm leaving because you all piss me off"

"Can I be a moderator?"

"Cheat codes and hacks for [insert game title]?"

"How can I change my custom rank?"

"How do you get that picture under my name?"

"Why did you close my thread?"

Posting in threads containing topics you want no part of, simply for the sake of argument.

Flame wars spawned from political discussions.

Re-registering after a ban.

Breaking the rules having never read them in the first place.

Intolerance of any kind.

•-BLaCKouT-•
11-22-2004, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by Agen_Terminator
ginger haired people,
:rofl:

Bad spelling and/or punctuation are the only things that bug me. And even then it's not a lot, just... an annoyance :p

B.

El Sitherino
11-22-2004, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by General Agamemnon
moderators you're just jealous. :)

repeated questions that everyones answered 30+ times before.

Obese people.

BawBag™
11-22-2004, 10:03 AM
Originally posted by •-BLaCKouT-•
:rofl:

Bad spelling and/or punctuation are the only things that bug me. And even then it's not a lot, just... an annoyance :p

B.

:mad: ........:( ..........:crybaby:

•-BLaCKouT-•
11-22-2004, 11:11 AM
Awww don't cry bud :p

im talkin abuot ppl who think post's liek this are OK

:xp: B.

BawBag™
11-22-2004, 11:23 AM
But my beautiful... ginger...ness

:crybaby:

:xp:

KBell
11-22-2004, 11:28 AM
I'm leaving threads


Sigs that contain referal links to "free" stuff.

•-BLaCKouT-•
11-22-2004, 11:36 AM
:xp: @ BB

'twas Agen who said it!! I was laughing in an ironic way.

I've got three best mates who are "G" and my mother, so I can hardly start criticising. If anything I'm a sympathizer :xp:

Oh, and I can't stand people who have ongoing conversations in threads that then veer off-topic, alienating the other posters who are trying to keep the damn thing on track. Damn them.

:) B.

TK-8252
11-22-2004, 11:37 AM
Helpless n00bs (*cough* latest screenshot thread in JA *cough*).

Little kids who think they're cool.

Stupid trolls (sometimes funny trolls are okay :p )

People who post threads that are repeated over and over (i.e. cl_parsepacketentities blahblah in JA).

People who don't know how to use punctuation (run-on sentence).

When people spell WOOKIEE wrong or say "Obi-One."

Homophobes.

People who use "your" instead of "you're."

AOLSpeek.

Rebellions against the staff (man the yaebginn/VanLingo anti-Mod revolution at SWBF was hell).

People who hate smartasses and/or think they're trolls.

CAPS LOCK.

Religious freaks in the Senate (please don't take offense to this, I mean the "omg if yuo do tat ur goign 2 hell!11").

In addition to religious freaks, bigots.

Flame war that ruins a good thread.

Excessive emotions. :amidala: :atat: :band: :bdroid1: :bdroid2: :biggs: :deathstar :deathii: :evanpiel:

Warez morons ("hay is tere a plaec were i can dl tis gaem???/// thx!111").

ET.

topshot
11-22-2004, 12:51 PM
Misunderstandings and bad jokes.

Tyrion
11-22-2004, 12:53 PM
People who have message board annoyances.

wrap your heads around that one

ET Warrior
11-22-2004, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by TK-8252
ET.

Right, I remember what I hate...Jealousy :D


People who have message board annoyances.

wrap your heads around that one

Not too confusing. You hate yourself, just like we do :p

Dath Maximus
11-22-2004, 02:15 PM
how could i have forgotten


Tyrion



i mean....

i dislike those accursed people who cant speak english, who attempt to speak that leet *stuff* (forgot that this isn't irc for a moment there).

now that is really disturbing

Writer
11-22-2004, 04:31 PM
You know what I don't like? I don't like it when people twist your words, bite your head off after doing so, and then accuse you of being a dirty rotten liar concerning things they think they've experienced.

(So I exaggerate a little, but this is not far from what happens to me whenever I post in the Senate Chambers... either that, or I'm ignored. Come on, people! Show a little more tolerance, why don't ya? You talk about how Christians aren't tolerant of anybody else... if you want to be tolerated, why don't you tolerate others?:mad: )

Leper Messiah
11-22-2004, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by wildjedi
You know what I don't like? I don't like it when people twist your words, bite your head off after doing so, and then accuse you of being a dirty rotten liar concerning things they think they've experienced.

(So I exaggerate a little, but this is not far from what happens to me whenever I post in the Senate Chambers... either that, or I'm ignored. Come on, people! Show a little more tolerance, why don't ya?)

yea im with you on that one, or as often happens in the senate when people just ignore what you said, say you say "my position on x is this but that doesnt mean im for y" then someone responds "oh my god i cant believe you would support y because its so evil!" and then you say "no i said i didnt support y" and so you end up with them saying "you support y you're a nazi/liberal/similar witch-hunted political group" and so on and so forth

also quote editers are the lowest form of life on message boards *anticipates someone wittily swooping and editing quote*

by wildjedi
You talk about how Christians aren't tolerant of anybody else... if you want to be tolerated, why don't you tolerate others?:mad: )

lets not get into that :p

Jed
11-22-2004, 04:49 PM
What annoys me?

YOU DAMN FORUM INSURGENTS AND INSUBORDINATES

Leper Messiah
11-22-2004, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by Jed
What annoys me?

YOU DAMN FORUM INSURGENTS AND INSUBORDINATES

CONFORM NOW

Grace
11-22-2004, 05:22 PM
i don't like how fast paced the RPG forums are... my characters are always lost since I don't have much time to spend here:(

Thrawn42689
11-22-2004, 05:43 PM
Idiots, bigots, tireless fanboys, and people who complain about posts being too long because they have the attention span of a 5-year-old and can't read anything longer than a page if it doesn't have an explosion in it.

There, I said it. :p

Oh, and people with giant sig images whose pointless, useless posts take up about 1/100th of the space their sig does.

And people who pick on "n00bs" who are smarter than they are.

STTCT
11-22-2004, 06:32 PM
People who argue for the sake of argueing - unless it's of course funny....if they are doing it just to piss people off - well than it just pisses me off.

The other thing is when they post

110 posts reached 2 days ago
220 posts reached 2 min ago
221 posts reached 2 seconds ago

and :band: that smiley because he's ugly.

SkinWalker
11-22-2004, 07:39 PM
Sigs too big even when I have images turned off (that's right people... I don't see your killer photoshop skills!) Sigs larger than the post are the worst.

Over-Quote!

If you're going to quote a post, at least make a longer reply. The worst offenders are those that quote the entire post just above their own and say nothing of substance.


Also, I can't stand essay posts that aren't my own ;)

acdcfanbill
11-22-2004, 07:59 PM
so you turn off sig picture viewing, but yet you have one for us to see :p heh, i just find that funny :D

Leper Messiah
11-23-2004, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by SkinWalker
Sigs too big even when I have images turned off (that's right people... I don't see your killer photoshop skills!)


*didnt realise that you could view the images in sigs, thought the board had them disabled. edges towards User CP*

ckcsaber
11-23-2004, 06:26 AM
Originally posted by TK-8252
Religious freaks in the Senate (please don't take offense to this, I mean the "omg if yuo do tat ur goign 2 hell!11").

Rebellions against the staff (man the yaebginn/VanLingo anti-Mod revolution at SWBF was hell).

Little kids who think they're cool.

When people spell WOOKIEE wrong



I've never seen any of "omg if yuo do tat ur goign 2 hell!11" in the Senate.

Here's a thought! Why don't you actually enter the forum before trying to stereotype users?


Also, I don't think Yaebginn was starting a rebellion. Maybe a little stubborn and one-sided, but inciting a "rebellion against the staff?" I'd say you take this place a little too seriously.


Oh, and I'd rather have a "bunch of little kids who think they're cool" running around here than an *Unnecessary flame* who will try and rip you a new one for spelling the name of a CREATURE THAT DOES NOT EXIST wrong.

Flaming == bad ~ET

TK-8252
11-23-2004, 06:33 AM
Originally posted by ckcsaber
I've never seen any of "omg if yuo do tat ur goign 2 hell!11" in the Senate.

I have.

Originally posted by ckcsaber
Here's a thought! Why don't you actually enter the forum before trying to stereotype users?

I don't know where you've been, but I've posted there many times...

Originally posted by ckcsaber
Also, I don't think Yaebginn was starting a rebellion. Maybe a little stubborn and one-sided, but inciting a "rebellion against the staff?" I'd say you take this place a little too seriously.

Ahem, I was a Moderator for the SWBF forums at the time.

Originally posted by ckcsaber
Oh, and I'd rather have a "bunch of little kids who think they're cool" running around here than an *flame removed* who will try and rip you a new one for spelling the name of a CREATURE THAT DOES NOT EXIST wrong.

Excuse me?

ET Warrior
11-23-2004, 06:33 AM
Originally posted by ckcsaber
Also, I don't think Yaebginn was starting a rebellion. Maybe a little stubborn and one-sided, but inciting a "rebellion against the staff?" I'd say you take this place a little too seriously.

Actually, perhaps you don't venture over to the Battlefront forums, but him and Van Lingo were, in essence, trying to start a revolution / rebellion / whatever over there.

So perhaps you should take a little of your own advice
Here's a thought! Why don't you actually enter the forum before trying to stereotype users?

ckcsaber
11-23-2004, 06:40 AM
I was there.

Whatever. I seemed to be the only guy around that didn't hate him. Fine.

All I know is that 2 semi-regular users were banned in the end, and I think that sucks arse. This community has already been floundering for a while.

Leper Messiah
11-23-2004, 06:48 AM
Originally posted by ckcsaber
This community has already been floundering for a while.

seems just fine to me.....

Doomie
11-23-2004, 06:49 AM
"IM GONNA LEAVE YOU ALL FORRR GOOODD threads"

Hey, those days are behind me now :P

Well, what really annoys ME is trolls, and er... People who think they're right and no one else is.

"The moon is made of cheese, because i said so!" :rolleyes:

ET Warrior
11-23-2004, 06:51 AM
Originally posted by ckcsaber
rude things
Somebody woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning.....

I've never seen TK try to "rip somebody a new one" Because they misspelled wookkieeeee.* And flaming him for it is, in fact, uncalled for.

Consider yerself warned. don't do it again.





*That one was just for you TK :p

ckcsaber
11-23-2004, 07:03 AM
Intolerant bastard = edit?

Wow, my first Mod edit. ET, you devirginized me. I'll remember this sweet day for the rest of my life.

My post was made in anger mostly for the comment "religious freaks". You see, I've never seen a religious freak in the Senate at all. All of them have given reasons and explanations for their faith. I feel that TK is basically taking a cheap shot at anyone who is religious.

Frankly, I'm tired of reading all these anti-religion posts. It's one thing to state your beliefs. It's another to pound them over and over again into others faces.


You see, I'm actually explaining myself. This makes me angrier.

*punches co-worker*

The_One
11-23-2004, 11:52 AM
It's not so much the message boards that annoy me. It's the people that post in them who usually cause all the problems.

But, the inablility to correctly deploy the English language is certainly something that irks me more than most other things.

El Sitherino
11-23-2004, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by The_One
It's not so much the message boards that annoy me. It's the people that post in them who usually cause all the problems.

But, the inablility to correctly deploy the English language is certainly something that irks me more than most other things. it'd help if people knew which english to speak: american english, english-english, or that other english that goes like this "omg that is liek totaly awsoem!" eheeheeheehe

and no ckc, there is a difference between a religious person and a religious freak.

Agen
11-24-2004, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by ckcsaber
Intolerant bastard = edit?

Wow, my first Mod edit. ET, you devirginized me. I'll remember this sweet day for the rest of my life.

My post was made in anger mostly for the comment "religious freaks". You see, I've never seen a religious freak in the Senate at all. All of them have given reasons and explanations for their faith. I feel that TK is basically taking a cheap shot at anyone who is religious.

Frankly, I'm tired of reading all these anti-religion posts. It's one thing to state your beliefs. It's another to pound them over and over again into others faces.


You see, I'm actually explaining myself. This makes me angrier.

*punches co-worker*
:rolleyes:

Black Knight of Keno
11-24-2004, 09:35 AM
Hmm...

1. n00bs
2. Mr.Right-n00bs
3. Aussies

There. My Top 3