PDA

View Full Version : Endor Siege

Pages : [1] 2

monsoontide
11-28-2004, 09:51 PM
Just a quick note.
Finally after moving halfway across the world, I'm set up again.
Was going to work on some stuff for Doom3 & HL2 but find myself inspired to finish off my Siege_Endor map.

No Pix for now - I no longer have my own website.

Anyways, it will be vaguely modeled after the Battlefront map (Very vaguely).

If there's anything you'd like to see/not like to see gameplay wise in the map, let me know now, so I can incorporate it before I get too far into reworking the previous design I did.

If ya wanna know why I'm doing it - It's 'cos you can't play as a Jedi in Battlefront (As yet).

Will be including my speederbike and the unreleased Ewok Glider.

Hope there'll still be someone left to play this by the time I'm done!

{xg}darthVADER
11-29-2004, 07:17 AM
i definetly will be

sounds cool

i hope you add an interior to the bunker

monsoontide
11-29-2004, 08:06 PM
Yes.
SunBurn already built me a large one - but I've since lost/deleted all my previous Endor stuff, so will be starting from scratch.
It will also be a bit simpler.

monsoontide
11-30-2004, 04:09 PM
Any suggestions on where to post screenshots?

I've just started Hacking together various exising models to make an ATST Pilot to go with this and will have to make a Rebel Commando model as well.
Also need to get my Ewok glider model put in game as a vehicle.

Teams Are:
Rebel / Rebel Commando / Rebel Pilot / Rebel General / Wookie / Jedi

Stormtrooper / Imperial Commando / ATST Pilot / Imperial Officer / Scout / Jedi

TK-8252
11-30-2004, 04:27 PM
But there were no Jedi in the Battle of Endor... how can you have Jedi? Oh and it's spelled Wookiee. [/Spelling Nazi] :p

monsoontide
11-30-2004, 07:46 PM
Well there wouldn't be any point doing the map without Jedi. I could just go and play Battlefront again.

Still Working Out The map layout. I've tried various designs but I haven't been happy with many of them.

MadCow1989
11-30-2004, 10:33 PM
it aint fun with jedis against troopers its like an Imperial is in the corner and a jedi is pushing him each time he tries to stand up and the jedi is Laughing

The Horror! The Horror!

monsoontide
11-30-2004, 11:30 PM
Will wait til the maps been Beta tested before finalizing team structure.

Neon
12-01-2004, 08:51 AM
wow, didn't knew you were still ou here :o

monsoontide
12-01-2004, 10:28 AM
I've finally managed to get set up again and while I was going to do some Doom3 & HalfLife2 stuff, those games are sooooo expensive here (New Zealand) I just can't be bothered for now (Not that I don't have some projects in mind).

Still, I'm close to finalizing the map layout for this Endor map - when I can find somewhere to put Pix, I'll post them.

Lil Killa
12-01-2004, 12:18 PM
You could go to freewbs and get some space or you could send your screenshots to me and I'll put them up on my webspace. I'll PM you my email if you're interested.

monsoontide
12-01-2004, 04:22 PM
LK, That would be cool. Thanks.

Finally found some building references that I needed and Sunburn was able to find the interior map of the imperial buker that he had worked on - though I'm only going to use some small sections of it just to keep the level flowing.

Did a bit more work on the ATST Pilot as well, fixing his boots and adding some detail to the helmet and the pouches on his legs. Still have to add the pouches on his arm and the communicator on his arm. Then it will be texturing time - setting it up and doing it PROPERLY is one of the bits that takes the longest. I've seen some suprisingly shoddy efforts recently...

Neon
12-02-2004, 06:14 AM
What happended with your old site?

LightNinja
12-02-2004, 07:39 AM
do you have in mind finishing the nexu creature? (ya that cat of ep2)

monsoontide
12-02-2004, 09:54 AM
My old site is gone 'cos I've recently moved from Los Angeles back to New Zealand. They're really stingy with the internet here - $60/mo for 2Mb broadband DSL access with 1 e-mail address and no web hosting.

No, I don't think I'll finish the Nexu - It wasn't working out as well as I wanted.

Anyways, just finsihed reworking the interior of the bunker - there's still stuff to be done but it's about 80% complete (Just have to add some detailing, effects and lighting.)

Will get some pix for Lil Killa to post as soon as I get a chance. Gotta go to work you know ;)

Neon
12-02-2004, 10:22 AM
Bah, that's worse. Too bad about the nexu, I really hoped the reek and nexu would come out some day.

monsoontide
12-02-2004, 06:57 PM
But would anyone be around to use it?

Everyone seems to have moved on to more recent games.

LightNinja
12-03-2004, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by monsoontide
But would anyone be around to use it?

Everyone seems to have moved on to more recent games.
There is still much people playing jk3, and if you need help with the animations of the nexu just tell me

Lil Killa
12-03-2004, 12:34 PM
Originally posted by LightNinja
There is still much people playing jk3, and if you need help with the animations of the nexu just tell me

What ever happened to that "other project"? :P

LightNinja
12-03-2004, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by Lil Killa
What ever happened to that "other project"? :P `
it is done but i dont know why the hell it spawns like 5 meters up from the floor :confused:

monsoontide
12-03-2004, 02:08 PM
Hurrah! Successfully made an .ase model from Radiant!!!

Not really hard - just haven't done it before.

Will try and get some screenshots to Lil Killa today, so he can post them.

Lil Killa
12-03-2004, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by LightNinja
`
it is done but i dont know why the hell it spawns like 5 meters up from the floor :confused:

hmm..... odd indeed...

I'll be looking out for the shots Monsoon:)

Nokill
12-04-2004, 10:03 AM
if you need a bunker for endor i stil have one that has never been used you can have it if you whant

monsoontide
12-04-2004, 10:49 AM
Thanks Nokill, but I've already done the bunker + associated structures.

Sent Lil Killa the pix so hope he can get them posted today...

Lil Killa
12-04-2004, 11:09 AM
old shots removed

monsoontide
12-04-2004, 11:48 AM
Opps repeated myself a bit there...
Anyways, haven't started on the trees yet - just working out a way to make it look like they go on forever using a portal sky in combination with "real" trees in forground.

Am currently woking on getting all the major structures in place, then will populate the forest with trees and appropraite foliage.

Red glowy thing on top of bunker and in generator room are CONTROL POINTS - like Battlefront, that you have to capture. Each one is a Siege Objective that once captured, will allow your team to spawn there.

Generator room and generator control room originally modeled by SunBurn for me. (With considerable fixing by me - still have to fix those control panels too).

wedge2211
12-04-2004, 12:39 PM
Nolight compile, anyone?

If you move the texture on the control point patches up just a tad, you won't have those wierd floating rings abovee the gradients.

The outside is really hard to judge without tree/foliage models in place, and that is the most bizarre skybox I have ever seen.

monsoontide
12-04-2004, 01:21 PM
That's because I haven't done a skybox yet!!!
These are just textures I've put on there to try and convey the feel of a redwood forest.
It's all temp until I've got the Hero tree models & textures built.

So don't fret - it WILL look much better when finished!

Nokill
12-04-2004, 01:50 PM
well it looks nice is there also a swoop run in it?

Neon
12-05-2004, 09:28 AM
That's really gonna be cool, but is that atst pilot model in the map, or can you download it somewhere?

monsoontide
12-05-2004, 10:09 AM
Well, the ATST Pilot will be included with the map - but I'll have it for download before then as well (Hopefully...)

monsoontide
12-08-2004, 12:28 PM
OK finally managed to get some more done last night - the company Christmas party and resulting er... tiredness meant I haven't really made any progress for the last few days.

Anyway have mostly finished of the main Imperial Structures - just losts of detailing / sounds / etc to add. Also been working on making some custome forest textures - that's the hard part trying to make it so the forest doesn't just end in at the abrupt wall of the skybox or as is more usual with outdoor areas - a big huge impassable hill that runs the edge of the map.

ATST Pilot almost finished - just a few more tweaks and he'll be ready to bring into the game (Anyone?)

wedge2211
12-08-2004, 06:27 PM
You could pull off a forest boundary if you have trees and brush (an alpha shader on an endcap snaking its way along the ground, perhaps?) that get gradually denser as you enter the forest, until they get dense enough for you to just lay down a clip brush.

monsoontide
12-08-2004, 07:02 PM
I'm gonna try a combo of real trees (ie. 3D models) combined with a layer of 2D trees then a portal sky featuring more 2D trees and a sky shader with a dense forest background image!!!
Still in the testing stages.

Ewok village is next major structure I'm working on.

Hope to have some more pix this weekend.

Pahricida
12-09-2004, 11:28 AM
I'm gonna try a combo of real trees (ie. 3D models) combined with a layer of 2D trees then a portal sky featuring more 2D trees and a sky shader with a dense forest background image!!!
Still in the testing stages.

Ewok village is next major structure I'm working on.

Hope to have some more pix this weekend.

yes this is also how I want to realise my latest map.
The disadvantage just is that these models have to be really low- poly.
At least mine are because you can't really block them with vis tricks since they are in the portal sky.

What about some screens on the AT-ST Pilot?

monsoontide
12-10-2004, 04:55 PM
Just sent some updated pix to Lil Killa, so hopefully he can post them.
Have started work on making a variety of Low poly redwoods for use in map. Even so, with all the foliage and whatnot, you'll need a fast machine + fast internet connection, though I'll do my best to optimize it.
Anyways, just trying to get the Imperial half of the map to a working state, then I'll do the rebel section. Then after a bit of ALPHA testing, I'll finish detailing the whole thing.
Haven't yet added the portal sky - hope to get time to do that tomorrow.
Tonight there's a big Christams Show at the park I'm obliged to attend.

Lil Killa
12-11-2004, 08:02 PM
Just sent some updated pix to Lil Killa, so hopefully he can post them.
Have started work on making a variety of Low poly redwoods for use in map. Even so, with all the foliage and whatnot, you'll need a fast machine + fast internet connection, though I'll do my best to optimize it.
Anyways, just trying to get the Imperial half of the map to a working state, then I'll do the rebel section. Then after a bit of ALPHA testing, I'll finish detailing the whole thing.
Haven't yet added the portal sky - hope to get time to do that tomorrow.
Tonight there's a big Christams Show at the park I'm obliged to attend.

hmm.... never recieved them. Try sending them again.

Lil Killa
12-11-2004, 09:44 PM
old shots removed

monsoontide
12-11-2004, 11:03 PM
No, no number 11. (That was in the last batch).

have the portal sky working (Mostly - just a few hiccups to iron out).

Nokill
12-12-2004, 12:51 AM
looks pretty good =)

wedge2211
12-12-2004, 12:15 PM
The fog is icky. Thin it out a little, make it a light brownish-green fog and add whatever key it is to the worldspawn that makes fog not start being drawn till some distance away from the player. That'll go better with the forest scene.

monsoontide
12-12-2004, 04:08 PM
It's really hard trying to get some depth to the forest.
I'm working on some custome textures for the skybox.

I've been fiddling with the fog for ages.
BUT - (At least for me) fog doesn't seem to draw in front of a sky shader.
Anyone know a parameter (or shader line) to fix that problem?

Also using a portal sky is problematic - in as much as I can see through the side of the map into the underground bunker!!!
Getting the atmosphere of this thing right is going to require a LOT of tinkering.
Funilly enough, the grass sprite shader I'm using at the moment won't show up when in first / 3rd person view but it does when looking through the sniper scope!!!

Lindsey
12-12-2004, 05:19 PM

Funilly enough, the grass sprite shader I'm using at the moment won't show up when in first / 3rd person view but it does when looking through the sniper scope!!!

I've had that problem alot too, not quite sure how to fix it, but you might try making a small brush out of the texture, as the sprite seemed to work when the brush was relatively small.

On an related note, Monsoon, any chance I could borrow those tree models your using? They look kick ass, and I was planning on making a small Endor map for the Movie Battles 2 mod, though its hard to find any Endor like trees these days :confused:

monsoontide
12-13-2004, 01:36 AM
Hmmm. you can borrow the trees... after I've done a bit more work on them - they're not quite right yet (Currently it's just one tree as well - I need to make a couple more variations.)

Pahricida
12-14-2004, 02:48 PM
after all where are the pictures? :D

monsoontide
12-14-2004, 05:17 PM
In the immortal words of Rgoer, "I got phonged up metashaded terrain working."

So the outdoor areas are starting to take shape now and will look er... natural???

monsoontide
12-14-2004, 07:37 PM
Also, I was asked to do a "better" AT-ST model and since I'm doing this Endor Map, thought it would be as good a time as any. The Raven model isn't really too bad (Though the animation is er... not acurate), but there's a few tweaks I hope to be able to make to improve on it, while still trying to maintain a low poly count.

Will release the AT-ST Pilot and AT-ST as a separate pack as well as with the map.

TK-425
12-18-2004, 06:02 AM
Hi monsoon, thanks for doing the AT-ST! I will get some reference pictures up soon. Untill then check out www.imageshack.us.

monsoontide
12-18-2004, 01:05 PM
Won't get a chance to start on it (AT-ST) 'til after Xmas though...

I'm just sending Lil Killa the latest screenshots.

Having trouble creating the right atmosphere...
I want a cross between having fog and being able to see the skybox.
(Anyone know what the nocarve option in a fog shader means?)

Have laid down the foundation for the Ewok village but haven't really started working it yet.

I've redone the interior layout of the bunker and the generator control room.

Also anyone know if it's possible to get sprites to generate on a terrain shader? I've made them work on the individual ground shaders but they won't show up as part of the terrain shader...

Lil Killa
12-18-2004, 05:23 PM
and the shots:

http://www.lkmods.net/tmp/mon/Endor_01.jpg
http://www.lkmods.net/tmp/mon/Endor_02.jpg
http://www.lkmods.net/tmp/mon/Endor_03.jpg
http://www.lkmods.net/tmp/mon/Endor_04.jpg
http://www.lkmods.net/tmp/mon/Endor_05.jpg
http://www.lkmods.net/tmp/mon/Endor_06.jpg
http://www.lkmods.net/tmp/mon/Endor_07.jpg
http://www.lkmods.net/tmp/mon/Endor_08.jpg
http://www.lkmods.net/tmp/mon/Endor_09.jpg
http://www.lkmods.net/tmp/mon/Endor_10.jpg

http://www.lkmods.net/tmp/mon/Endor_11.jpg

TK-425
12-18-2004, 05:28 PM
Thats fine.

wedge2211
12-18-2004, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by wedge2211
If you move the texture on the control point patches up just a tad, you won't have those wierd floating rings above the gradients.
I also still think the fog should have a brown component, less blue-green and more brown-green (think of the colors you'd see in a forest as it faded into the distance).

You can make a skybox show through fog by adding the line "q3map_nofog" or "nofog" to the sky shader under all the surfaceparms. I forget which specifically, try q3map_nofog first. Then, you can use the skybox as a foghull and the game will stop drawing your map at some distant point beyond the fog, but you'll always be able to see the sky images. I used this trick in my Corellian Platform Encounter duel to achieve a lightning-in-foggy-storm effect.

monsoontide
12-18-2004, 06:13 PM
You may need to hit "refresh" in order to see the new pix above.

I really don't want to have much fog - like in the last two screenshots (It's supposed to be more of a haze - and I' have it blue since making it more yellow or brown makes everything look really dirty - besides, distance haze tends more towards blue - since that's what I'm trying for rather than a fog as such - but I'm still tinkering and these are by no means final in any way) but it's that whole fps thing and I'm trying to disguise my distancecull settings.

Lindsey
12-18-2004, 08:03 PM
Nice Battlefront textures :D

monsoontide
12-18-2004, 10:47 PM
Thanks... :) They've been very handy... Just like using a regular texture set - though it's taken some work to convert them to JA

wedge2211
12-19-2004, 07:47 AM
making it more yellow or brown makes everything look really dirty
You can probably avoid this by making the fog not be drawn until some distance away from the player. That can be achieved with a worldspawn key that I unfortunately don't know...think GothiX does. That way things'll look "clean" until they suddenly fade into the forest.

GothiX
12-19-2004, 09:45 AM
_fogstart

And those terrain textures look horrible. Relief should be achieved via architecture, not textures.

Nokill
12-19-2004, 12:42 PM
i have to say there is some nice progress in this map hope it will keep on getting better :)

monsoontide
12-19-2004, 04:22 PM
GothicX - what are you talking about????

I know the ewok platform textures look terrible, but I haven't had a chance to "res them up" yet, and haven't decided the best way to make the platforms yet, whether using brushes, or making a md3 or ase - but it's a trade of between detail and fps, quality and speed.
As for the terrain, it was generated by that terrain generating program. The textures themselves are unforunately small, but since I can't just wander out into a redwood forrest and take photo's I'm kinda limited.
If you know where I can get better redwood forrest textures, by all means let me know.
Currently I'm just trying to get the damn map working fast enough for multi-player.
I am always open to helpful advice and input.

Lil Killa
12-20-2004, 01:06 AM
you should make the triangles those "limbs" are on a lot bigger. It's a huge pole with some green sticking out of it

http://www.americasfirstladies.com/redwood-tree.jpg

monsoontide
12-20-2004, 08:06 AM
I've built a couple more tree models, so will try and get them in the game soon.

GothiX
12-20-2004, 10:00 AM
Why use Easygen when you can use sweet new alphaMod blending? Bah, people these days. Also, default JA has better, more flat textures, that'd work quite well for this map.

wedge2211
12-20-2004, 11:53 AM
You could make some nice low-growth vegetation by making a leafy alpha shader and putting it on some patch meshes that snake all over the ground...that'd add some depth to the terrain.

monsoontide
12-20-2004, 03:02 PM
alphaMod blending??? Perhaps if you have a tutorial (or link to tutorial) - really, I'm just trying to make this look as best I can.
The JA textures are nice but don't look like redwood forrest textures - they tend to be a bit more er... "swampy" looking.
I'll probably have to make my own - just not yet.

I've been trying to make a sprite shader for undergrowth and while it works fine as a shader by itself, I can't get it to work as part of the terrain shader - it shows up in occasional places and then only from certain angles.

Does anyone know the location of some sprite shader tutorials - it seems easy enough and my early tests looked fine - there just seems to be some conflict between the terrain shader and generating sprites.

And again, please feel free to make suggestions for what you'd like to see / be able to do as part of the Siege map.

Pahricida
12-20-2004, 05:56 PM
Socks Tutorial on Simland:

http://www.planetquake.com/simland/pages/articles/terrain1_1.htm

What GothiX is talking of is the
"DotProduct2 + Alpha Fade Terrain" Function.

I'm also fiddling around with it ... it's by far the most advanced way to texturize a terrain in Q3.

TK-425
12-20-2004, 07:10 PM
Reference pictures...

http://img139.exs.cx/img139/7116/endor187vr.jpg

http://img139.exs.cx/img139/3713/endor131wt.jpg

http://img139.exs.cx/img139/3950/endor056ym.jpg

http://img139.exs.cx/img139/9525/atst2bg9ew.jpg

http://img157.exs.cx/img157/6206/atst18ye.jpg

monsoontide
12-20-2004, 07:45 PM
Hmm... I must be missing something - Isn't that what Easy-Gen does - alpha blending two textures together over a series of brushes to create seamlessly mapped terrain? It just all depends on the textures you are using I guess.

Thanks for the ref pix. I'm gettin 4 days off over Xmas and another 4 over New Year so hope to get some work done...

Current priority is to get the whole Siege thing up and working so if anyone is interested I'll be able to do some ALPHA testing to get the gameplay right, then I'll concentrate on getting all the detailing right.

On my last SIEGE map I think I ended up changeing about 50% of the level after the last BETA test 'cos everyone was having trouble with the lifts.

TK-425
12-20-2004, 08:00 PM
Your welcome. Btw are you going to start from scratch with the AT-ST?(Ooo I hope you are going to) And I cant wait to see the animations:naughty:

GothiX
12-21-2004, 07:36 AM
Hmm... I must be missing something - Isn't that what Easy-Gen does - alpha blending two textures together over a series of brushes to create seamlessly mapped terrain? It just all depends on the textures you are using I guess.

No, Easygen only uses stupid triangles. TWith this, you can make it all by hand. As well, Easygen doesn't do things as smoothly, and as CUSTOMISED as alphaMod.

Mongo05
12-21-2004, 03:38 PM
Oh yeah, well Easygen saves you time when you actually have a life!!

monsoontide
12-21-2004, 05:50 PM
Stop that now... :mad:

Yes, I see, I've read the article a bit more thoroughly - or more to say I've glanced at it a bit more thoroughly. But you'd still have to build the terrain out of brushes anyway - I was planning to do it that way but I have MAJOR time contraints on how long I can work on this each day.
While I'm sure you are very busy yourself GothicX, perhaps you could assist me with making something better. I'm all out for making this as good as it can be as I've said before, and sometimes I just don't have either the experience or time to take care of certain aspects as well as I'd like... (Testing and retesting until you get something just right can eat up sooo much time!)

P.S. Is there a way to rotate (Non animated - just for positioning within Radiant) an .md3 model around an axis other than the vertical? (I haven't researched this yet - just thought somebody may know)

Mongo05
12-21-2004, 07:06 PM
I think you have to remodel it which sucks.

monsoontide
12-21-2004, 07:23 PM
Which is why I'm currently using the flat textures for the Ewok stuff...

GothiX
12-21-2004, 11:46 PM
MonGo is wrong, use an "angles" key, use an X Y Z value.

And I'd love to help, but I don't map anymore, I'm afraid. You can always PM me though, if you have questions.

As for time constraints: It's Christmas soon, holidays should brig some time (assuming your boss is friendly enough to give you those days off), and hey, it's not like you have a deadline, right?

Mongo05
12-22-2004, 07:04 AM
Oh, I know that GothiX, I thought he meant like flipping it upside down you know?

wedge2211
12-22-2004, 06:52 PM
Eh, you just rotate it till it's upside-down. For freestanding things like trees, the angles x y z key is all you need.

And hey, isn't there a way to make a shader generate copies of a model on its surface? The might help with grass/bushes/shrubs. Downside would be, of course, that you can't clip them, so don't try it with trees.

monsoontide
12-22-2004, 08:53 PM
I have the code for generating models on a shader surface, but I don't know if it works. Also I was reading another thread and it said that ydnar had removed that code from the current version of q3map - but I haven't confirmed that for myself yet...

GothiX
12-23-2004, 06:27 AM
surfaceModel worked for me last time I tried.

lauser
12-26-2004, 12:21 AM
Wow..not a bad map. Not as good as mine but not bad. :P

Been a long time chaps. I don't map anymore like Gothix there. I am thinking of finishing up 2 or more old JK2 maps lying around though.

Monsoon, I gave LDJ all my files regarding my ENDOR map for JA. If you like maybe email him or I might be able to get some old PK3s lying around. That's 'IF' you want them. I spent a while building a terrain model for a portalsky that turned out real nice. This is also included in the PK3. Pahricida has my tree model you might like. I don't know if he fixed it though...(was Z fighting :S)

If anyones interested you can email me for the files since I wont be needing them. Lots of custom textures and models by me. Map itself is UBER BIG.

rkbrode@hotmail.com

Originally posted by GothiX
surfaceModel worked for me last time I tried.

surfacemodel = PWNS

Good seeing you guys still at it........:D

Neon
12-30-2004, 12:43 PM
Hmm, but we also need ewoks :)

Ockniel
12-31-2004, 11:06 AM
okay, please, how do you do the alpha map? that link you gave had a paragraph about it, but no tutorial, please, I need to do something with texture blending, but I have NO idea how to work easy gen :(

time consuming is okay with me, and I'm willing to take a bunch of time to learn it if I can get a hold of a link, please, gimme!! :P

oh, and your map is awsome, you going to release a beta anytime soon?

monsoontide
01-01-2005, 12:29 AM
Busy with the usual... Holidays, Work, Family, Food Poisoning etc...

Update sometime in New Year...

lauser
01-03-2005, 11:37 AM
Same here Monsoon. Must be nice being SITH J Cull with all that free time he has to map hmm? :smirk2:

Nokill
01-03-2005, 01:17 PM
you woud almost think his work is to make maps ;)
or he is realy ritch so he can have all the free time

monsoontide
01-06-2005, 06:28 PM
Just noticed that someone has gone and made an Ewok player model http://www.pcgamemods.com/9547/

Could come in useful....

In the meanwhile - I have nothing new to add as I haven't done anything over Xmas/New Years as I've been sick and felling rather run down.

However things are picking up again so I expect to get back into it this weekend sometime...

LightNinja
01-07-2005, 03:25 AM
Just noticed that someone has gone and made an Ewok player model http://www.pcgamemods.com/9547/

go to showcase forum>modelling any time xD

monsoontide
01-10-2005, 01:24 PM
OK... Finally got back into it last night and sorted out the floor plan of one of the structures in the imperial sector (Third attempt on this one building!)

So hopefully should have some more progress shots soon.

mergatroid
01-11-2005, 02:51 AM
The third is the lucky one,I hope.

monsoontide
01-16-2005, 10:39 AM
OK, managed to get most of the SIEGE stuff set up over the weekend. still have to draw the icons and map (just using temp stuff for now.), but all the teams/classes are working (with much tweaking needed for them I imagine). I've also started doing the lighting, though that will take a while.
I managed to get the shader working where it places models on the surface of the shader, so there are now ferns dotted all over the landscape. It looks OK.

Now I just have to get the objectives to work!!!

monsoontide
01-20-2005, 03:51 PM
Rest assured, I'm still diligently working on this.
Just getting a start on the Ewok village section.
Hope to have it ready for ALPHA testing in a month at latest.
That test will be simply to determine that the basic premise works and to ascertain what needs changing.
ALPHA release will be limited to anyone on this forum who is interested...

monsoontide
01-23-2005, 12:30 PM
Started work modeling the Rebel Commando last night (Currently I have Jan standing in for this model in the team classes).
Roughed out the general shape by grabbing the various bits and pieces from some of the Standard Raven models and then began working on sculpting the custom parts - Helmet, backpack, etc and roughing out a few modifications to the existing model - pockets, jacket hood, funky boot coverings etc...
Should have a unskinned preview ready by the end of the week.
Meanwhile as far as the map goes, its mainly just tweaking all the obkectives to work properly, since there's a faily complicated sequence of triggers and realys for each objective - I know I should script it, but I'm kinda lazy when it comes to scripting (I only use it when I can't find any other way to accomplish something!)
Anyway, I have it all PK3'd and up and running.
I'm sticking in some BOT reinforcements for both teams to pad out player numbers for now.

Screenshots will materialize soon. No... really ;)

Nokill
01-24-2005, 12:30 AM
yay more screens :D
i hope this will be a realy nice map ;)

TK-425
01-24-2005, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by Nokill
yay more screens :D
i hope this will be a realy nice map ;)
<sarcasm="Why would you say that in front of monsoontides face?">

Nokill
01-24-2005, 11:56 PM
Originally posted by TK42235
<sarcasm="Why would you say that in front of monsoontides face?">

erm....

TK-425
01-25-2005, 04:49 AM
i hope this will be a realy nice map
:dozey:

Nokill
01-25-2005, 05:32 AM
Originally posted by TK42235
:dozey:

well erm... sorry....

this map will suk is that better? :o

TK-425
01-25-2005, 05:45 AM
LOL. Well, I was pretty much joking anyway:D

GothiX
01-25-2005, 07:01 AM
Best. Post. Ever.

Just a shame that somebody lacked the education needed to understand it.

Nokill
01-25-2005, 08:22 AM
Originally posted by GothiX
Best. Post. Ever.

Just a shame that somebody lacked the education needed to understand it.

like you?

El Sitherino
01-25-2005, 11:26 AM
Yar!

Keep it calm boys. And try not to drift too far off topic. <3

monsoontide
01-26-2005, 10:26 AM
Anyone know why when I light my map, the map itself gets lit by the sun light I set up, but in game the player & vehicle models remain unlit unless passing under a "regular" light?

Nokill
01-26-2005, 10:41 AM
suns are not good to use *my opinion*
if your smart you light the map whit a big loud of lights yust like raven suns mostly bring more errors then good ligthing whit them its like having a bad sun burn
and small lgihts lets you make your own kind of light at all places :)

wedge2211
01-27-2005, 07:40 AM
Shader suns >> Entity suns

monsoontide
01-27-2005, 09:39 AM
Entity sun... with worldspawn -noshadersun 1 set.

Lil Killa
01-28-2005, 01:02 PM
screenshots :)

screen1 (http://www.lkmods.net/tmp/mon/s_3/Endor_01.jpg)
screen2 (http://www.lkmods.net/tmp/mon/s_3/Endor_02.jpg)
screen3 (http://www.lkmods.net/tmp/mon/s_3/Endor_03.jpg)
screen4 (http://www.lkmods.net/tmp/mon/s_3/Endor_04.jpg)
screen5 (http://www.lkmods.net/tmp/mon/s_3/Endor_05.jpg)
screen6 (http://www.lkmods.net/tmp/mon/s_3/Endor_06.jpg)
screen7 (http://www.lkmods.net/tmp/mon/s_3/Endor_07.jpg)
screen8 (http://www.lkmods.net/tmp/mon/s_3/Endor_08.jpg)
screen9 (http://www.lkmods.net/tmp/mon/s_3/Endor_09.jpg)
screen10 (http://www.lkmods.net/tmp/mon/s_3/Endor_10.jpg)
screen11 (http://www.lkmods.net/tmp/mon/s_3/Endor_11.jpg)
screen12 (http://www.lkmods.net/tmp/mon/s_3/Endor_12.jpg)
screen13 (http://www.lkmods.net/tmp/mon/s_3/Endor_13.jpg)
screen14 (http://www.lkmods.net/tmp/mon/s_3/Endor_14.jpg)

wedge2211
01-28-2005, 01:39 PM
First, some relatively minor gripes:

- I'd like the ground texture outside better if it wasn't blown up so damn big. Right now all I see are brown and green pixels.

- In shot 05, your struts against the walls have ugly misaligned textures.

- What's that to the right of shot 07? A lake, or ground fog? it looks kinda strange.

- In my opinion, shot 08 is the best you have. Looks mostly like the movie, looks like a forest. Nice blending into the skybox. Good job!

The big problems I have are still the same as before...the cyan fog does NOT look good on Endor! I suggest, again, you make a light brownish-greenish-grayish fog that won't be such an eyesore and won't hold attention the way your current fog does. After the color change, increase the drawdist of your fog and add the key "_fogstart 2000" to your worldspawn. That way the fog won't even start being draw till 2000 units away, which will give you a clear view until that point. Try it out and see how it looks, trust me on that. You can always paste back your old fog and write "wedge sucks" if you hate it. Then, add a tree-lines skybox with q3map_nofog in it, so the sky shows through the fog instead of the map fading to bright cyan nothingness.

monsoontide
01-28-2005, 02:20 PM
Believe me Wedge, I've had the fog set to all sorts of draw distances and am still working on it...
You can complain to me about misaligned textures/texture sizes once the BETA comes out!!! ;)
Currently I don't care too much since I'm just trying to get a map layout that works.
The thing with skyboxes and fog seems to be an all or nothing thing. Either it doesn't show through the fog at all or it looks like the fog doesn't effect it at all. I kind of want a 50/50 split.
There's something in the portal sky about having fog in there but haven't figured out how that works.

I've done more work on the Rebel Commando since these shots were taken. He should look A LOT better after I get a skin on him.

monsoontide
02-05-2005, 02:07 PM
Just working on getting the new player models finished...

Eldritch
02-05-2005, 04:53 PM
Have you done a light compile yet, monsoon? Or is this the level of lighting you're looking to achieve in this map?

I suspect you haven't done a light compile yet, because the player models in the shots appear to be unlit and lighting is very uniform outside with no shadows at all.

monsoontide
02-05-2005, 10:11 PM
I've comped with an entity sun but it doesn't light the players or vehicles...

Nokill
02-06-2005, 02:53 AM
in what way dit you compile?
becouse this looks realy nasty :(

GothiX
02-06-2005, 03:37 AM
Entity suns suck balls, they always will.

Don't go all "But raven used them too", because in all honesty, Raven's outdoor lighting wasn't that great at all.

mergatroid
02-06-2005, 06:28 AM
Use shader suns, they make awesome shadows.

Nokill
02-06-2005, 10:07 AM
raven also preverse to use normal lighting instead of suns i also don't like suns

GothiX
02-06-2005, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Nokill
raven also preverse to use normal lighting instead of suns i also don't like suns
Except for that Raven didn't do that, they used entity suns. And suns only suck when you don't know how they work, and how they can be used to their full extent.

razorace
02-06-2005, 11:06 AM
Didn't Raven post a bunch of stuff on the entity sun on the map maker.com forums?

wedge2211
02-06-2005, 07:25 PM
Yep. (http://www.map-review.com/index.php?page=tutorial_view&id=16)

Eldritch
02-08-2005, 05:52 PM
Yes, but there's absolutely no reason to use entity suns.

q3map_sunExt along with q3map_skylight in your skybox shader (along with some decent parameters) is far superior to the best entity suns.

monsoon, if you need any help with the shader code feel free to contact me via PM or messenger program.

monsoontide
02-10-2005, 08:42 PM
No progress this week. My wife's been in hospital...

Neon
02-12-2005, 01:48 AM
Aw :( Is it bad?

monsoontide
02-12-2005, 05:39 PM
No, but it eats up all my spare time...

Anyway am 50% through UVmapping The Rebel Commando player model. Psyk0Sith has kindly acquessed to do the rigging on this and the AT-ST Pilot.

monsoontide
02-16-2005, 08:19 PM
Have decided to rework several large sections of the map - including the main terrain section (To allow better speeder-bike battles) and have drastically shortened the way through the bunker, past the generators and up to the landing platform in order to speed up play. I also removed the two turbo-lifts in this section, since lifts seem to cause annoying bottlenecks during play.
Have rezed up the ground textures from 215x215 to 1024x1024, so it "should" look better.

Eldritch
02-16-2005, 08:58 PM
Have rezed up the ground textures from 215x215 to 1024x1024, so it "should" look better.
I hope you meant 256x256...

The textures won't look any better if you just resized them in Photoshop or PSP - you'd have to get ahold of larger originals.

monsoontide
02-17-2005, 10:18 AM
Ooops, yeah, I did mean 256 :eek:

I went out and took some photos with my digital camera of various ground surfaces (I'm not that silly to just resize a texture - jeesh, sounds like something one of my clients would want to do!) LOL.
The battlefront textures are just placeholders, indicating what I want the texture to look like, until I can make better versions.

monsoontide
02-23-2005, 10:41 AM
Good news, Psyk0-Sith has finished rigging the AT-ST Pilot and he works wonderfully. So should look great in the map.

I've been busy trying to finish up a whole slew of old models I started way back in late 2003/ early 2004, so I've currently released the Rebel Transport, The Queens Starship and the desert skiff over at www.pcgamemods.com.
Have a couple more releases planned then it'll be back to endor, which I'm a lot happier with now with the new layout and landscape. The hi-res textures make a huge difference too.
However, lighting with a sky shader doesn't seem to light as "evenly" through fog as an entity_sun.
Will post some screens soon.

TK-425
02-23-2005, 02:51 PM
So what does Psyk0-Sith do? LODing? Btw, when do you think you might get to work on the AT-ST?

monsoontide
02-23-2005, 08:58 PM
It's (the AT-ST) in the pipeline - but its a special project. These other ones are already 80% coompleted and just need some attention to get out the door.

Psyk0 Rigs the models in 3DS Max (Which I don't have)

TK-425
02-24-2005, 09:01 AM
Rig? The reasone I am pestering you so is because Hapslash is looking for someone to LOD and weight alot of his models. So I've been keeping an eye out for people who do that sort of thing.

monsoontide
02-24-2005, 10:04 AM
Rig = Weight.

The process of setting up the 'bones' within the model so they properly deform the model during animation.
LODs are of course models with fewer polys for viewing at a distance instead of using a hi-poly version. I'm not sure if Psyk0-Sith does that but he's done a lot of rigging and is quite efficient at it.

TK-425
02-24-2005, 04:20 PM
Is he bussy? How may I contact him?

monsoontide
03-04-2005, 08:48 PM
Sorry...

Been er... busy playing KOTOR 2.

Quite a compelling story line - if only the battles weren't so tediously boring it might be fun rather than a chore.
Still just finished it now on the light side - why the first thing everyone else does is turn to the dark side, I just don't know.

Anyway, the place to get hold of Psyk0-Sith is

http://www3.sympatico.ca/psykopat/

Will get this project back on track now...

Pahricida
03-05-2005, 05:19 AM
Sorry...

Been er... busy playing KOTOR 2.

That game is so damn distracting ... I also stopped all my modding work to finish it :>

Nokill
03-05-2005, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by Pahricida
That game is so damn distracting ... I also stopped all my modding work to finish it :>

same here and also whit Kotor1 :D

monsoontide
03-06-2005, 12:11 AM
If only they would combine the cool story and character interaction of KOTOR with the direct action and dueling of Jedi Knight and the size and scope of the battles in Battlefront - then we'd get GAME!! lol

monsoontide
03-27-2005, 03:42 AM
Thanks to Psyk0Sith, the ATST Pilot is ready for release - just waiting on a permission or two before release...

Things are cycling around to the point where I'm able to resume this project again... Hooray!

{xg}darthVADER
03-27-2005, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by Pahricida

wich can only mean that lucasarts is finaly starting to put more quality into their games

monsoontide
03-27-2005, 03:29 PM
Alas, no... KOTOR 2 was rushed to meet the Xmas deadline and as a result the last third of the game is badly broken with quests that are impossible to complete an entirely missing planet, character arcs that go nowhere and lots of bugs.
Its just the first half that sucks you in - If they hadn't been rushed to finish this, this game could have been absolutley fantastic.

monsoontide
03-28-2005, 12:24 AM
OK, permissions received - so ATST pilot release will be all GO! So am planning to get it released tonight! (Though the best laid plans...)

ALso got back to work on the mapping last night. Just a little bit, but something to get me motivated again. (Its so hard to keep ones enthusiasm for a project going sometimes... but I am determined to get it finished)

Pahricida
03-28-2005, 05:10 AM
just asking out of curiosity:

for what did you have to ask permission for?

{xg}darthVADER
03-28-2005, 07:45 AM
(Its so hard to keep ones enthusiasm for a project going sometimes... but I am determined to get it finished)

i know exactly what you mean ive had that problem with hoth several times

monsoontide
03-28-2005, 04:25 PM
I used their model as a base and simply reworked a lot of the mesh, rather than starting from scratch. Same with textures - notably on the holster, gloves, face and goggles. No point reinventing the wheel, when I have such a small amount of time to work on the project in the first place!!! ;)

monsoontide
04-01-2005, 04:17 AM
Anyone know of a way to block vehicles but NOT players???
(Currently the AT-ST's in the map can walk up into the Ewok village and it looks a little rediculous!)

{xg}darthVADER
04-01-2005, 10:42 AM
i dunno if theres an entity or a system shader for it but my best gues is that you could put somekind of clip brush above the walkway upto the village blocking off the at-st but not the players

this would not be a smart thing to do if your map is gonna have jedi players

Lindsey
04-01-2005, 11:28 PM
vehicles are NPCs, theres an npc blocker texture in the system textures, you might try that and see if it blocks the ATST.

monsoontide
04-04-2005, 11:17 PM
Ok, I've redone the forest facade texture so it matches the model trees a lot better, I've added a couple of hollow tree trunks to run through. rezzed up (redid) most of the ground textures, finished the AT-ST Pilot and added him in the team classes, changed the Vader model to the VaderVm one (Hapslash's one looks great but since he rarely releases anything, I'm not holding out hope).
Also started work on the log swings and it kinda looks good but needs a lot more work - will probably have to script them to get them to swing only once, perhaps with some sort of delayed reset on them
Have the primary Siege Objectives working properly but still need to add the secondaries. When activated, I'm hoping to spawn in some NPC backup forces - though not certain if that will work well or not.
Have finsihed the handrails on the four main Ewok platforms - now just have to do the small ones and the bridges (Which are a pain in the arse).
Am working on the map screen and objective icons.
Added some more lighting and sound effects but still much more to add.
Am definitely going to have to add fog as it runs a bit too choppily without it.
Hope to have some new screenshots in bit.

Also been playing Lego Star Wars: The Game - Dang! If that Revenge Of The Sith Space Battle level isn't full on!!!

As an aside, what Game Engine do you think should be used for the "next" Jedi Knight game? (Assuming one ever gets made of course.)

Lindsey
04-05-2005, 10:49 PM
The Half Life engine looks good from what ive seen, or perhaps the engine from Quake 4, since I assume it has the same type of engine as Q3a, just more powerful. I doubt LA would make another Jedi Knight game, thats something modders would have to do.

monsoontide
04-07-2005, 07:07 PM
Hmmm... Seems I'm getting too ambitious again for the Q3 engine. I keep getting the MAX_MAP_VERTS error - so looks like I'll have to split the map into two separate ones.
Will probably make the Forest - Ewok Village - Bunker portion into the Siege map and the Bunker - Shield Generator - Landing Platform into a FFA map. Sigh.
There is one alterative I'm going to try, but I've never seen it done before and have no idea if it will work - merely that I have seen the option.
OK. Once I get the damnthing working again, I plan to finish the UV mapping on the Rebel commando and get him to Psyk0Sith for rigging.

Progress is being made and I'll put some updated screeenshots up as soon as I get the map to compile again...

Eldritch
04-09-2005, 10:03 PM
Perhaps you're using too many patch meshes? Try compiling with a set LOD in the patches, or perhaps just try removing some unnecessary ones.

monsoontide
04-10-2005, 12:41 AM
Found it!
Was my shader.... generating too many plant models on the surface of my terrain!
Now that's taken care off... I can get back to it.

monsoontide
04-12-2005, 01:15 AM
Can someone please send me scans of the Endor stuff from the Incredible Cross Sections book?
I've seen the book in stores but haven't been able to justify the purchase.
It's a pretty good reference too and I'd like to make the Ewok village section of the map a bit more "accurate".

Thanks

Lindsey
04-12-2005, 02:26 AM
I too would like to see these images, im trying to build a rather small endor map for Movie Battles and have found no real good referance pics.

EDIT: For those who might have it, the title of the book (I think, just googled it) is: Inside the Worlds of Star Wars: The Complete Guide to the Incredible Locations from Star Wars

Nokill
04-13-2005, 02:31 AM
yes it is the Incredible Cross Sections book only has vehicles in it
and i can't find many locations from the book on google
to bad i don't have my endor screen collection anymore :(

i coud advice to look for TYDIRIUM this also has a big number of endor stuf in it ;)

monsoontide
04-13-2005, 11:25 PM
While I'm at it, does anyone have any reference pix of the INTERIOR of a Turbo Laser Tower?

I've reworked the exterior to look more like a proper Turbo Laser Tower, but I wanted to make it so you could go inside...

Thanks

monsoontide

monsoontide
04-16-2005, 10:00 PM
OK, snuck into the local bookstore with my digital camera and took a snapshot of the cross sections Ewok page!
Plus found the old stage floorplan layout for the village, so using a combination of the two, I'm working on the Ewok village now and am happier with it now.
Still a lot to do on it and am not sure if it will compile yet!

Lindsey
04-17-2005, 03:00 AM
any chance you could post those images here or PM them to me at some point?

monsoontide
04-17-2005, 04:31 PM
I'll see what I can do...

monsoontide
04-25-2005, 08:05 PM
http://www.binarynexus.com/images/68/Village_001_bar_tb.jpg (http://www.binarynexus.com/images/68/Village_001.jpg)
http://www.binarynexus.com/images/69/Village_002_bar_tb.jpg (http://www.binarynexus.com/images/69/Village_002.jpg)
http://www.binarynexus.com/images/70/Village_003_bar_tb.jpg (http://www.binarynexus.com/images/70/Village_003.jpg)
http://www.binarynexus.com/images/71/Village_004_bar_tb.jpg (http://www.binarynexus.com/images/71/Village_004.jpg)
http://www.binarynexus.com/images/72/Village_005_bar_tb.jpg (http://www.binarynexus.com/images/72/Village_005.jpg)
http://www.binarynexus.com/images/73/Village_006_bar_tb.jpg (http://www.binarynexus.com/images/73/Village_006.jpg)

Here's current progress on the Ewok Village!
All those handrails are driving me crazy!

I'm going to attempt something I've never seen done with MP maps. It may or may not work - but could proove an interesting addition to the way the map is played?!

wedge2211
04-25-2005, 08:18 PM
What have you never tried before but could prove interesting? :P

Couple comments:

-Looks like the walkway shader has no lightmap stage. Add one! Those look way too bright.

-That fallen log in the last shot would look a lot better made out of patches. You could even make it out of patches and turn it into an ASE model to bake in a LOD if you want that.

-Finally, I think those rope rails really need some depth. Did you just texture one side of a flat patch to make them? A cylinder, even a very thin one, would look much better.

Pontus90
04-28-2005, 03:17 PM
woah those village pics looks brilliant! hmm always when im looking at your pics Moonsoontide they are small but sometimes they are big ;/ is there a way to see them bigger? not clicking on them.

monsoontide
05-18-2005, 08:10 AM
Was hoping to have some more screenshots and even a ALPHA release by now

BUT!

It's still a go - but have to sort out some problems with the map not compiling the lighting stage now.

Lindsey
05-18-2005, 02:49 PM
best of luck, try to make more areas detail or you have a bad brush somewhere, I once had a map screw up the lighting cause of these little spheres that were detail trim on some things.

wedge2211
05-19-2005, 12:02 AM
What lighting problems?

monsoontide
05-19-2005, 12:43 AM
The problem is of course, the trees.
To get it to look like a forest you need a **** load of these - otherwise it looks like really sparse and not like endor at all.
Hence, the comping time is just phenominal at the moment.

Really, I have to get the enthusiasm to go back through and rework the positions and sizes of all the trees.

Trying to make stuff look like a forest in the Quake engine is a nightmare.

If I could've had a little word to Id/Raven about the way the maps blend into the skybox!!!

So currently it looks like a forest - but I can't be arsed waiting four days for it to comp. (And there's three separate maps now!)

Need to rebuild my enthusiasm for the project.
Perhaps seeing Ep3 tonight after work will get me going again.

Still... it will get finished!

Kalos
08-27-2005, 02:09 PM
the screens dont show!!!!! i really wanna see the screens of rebel commando. When willl the model come out? I really really really want it!

TK-425
08-28-2005, 12:26 AM
Is this project still up and running, or dead?

monsoontide
08-30-2005, 04:16 AM
Ha Ha!
Surprise.
Erm... it's been in hibernation for a while.
Acutally would like some help getting it finished or it may never happen.
I just don't have the time I need to get it done by myself...
It's three maps that form one big map that all link to one another.
+ I still have to finsih my Endor Rebel Soldier - so if anyone is interested in helping it would be greatly appreciated although I realize the community is a lot smaller now.

Monsoontide
:sweating:

monsoontide
08-31-2005, 08:32 AM
I do however have another map in development that I am much happier with - it's based on a location in the "Heir To The Empire" novel by Timothy Zhan.
It's about 65% done.
Screenshots when I can.
It's so hard to make time when you have job, wife, kids & mistress!!! LOL

TK-425
08-31-2005, 11:16 PM
You devil, you:D

Actually that wasn't appropriate, but moving on....

Kurgan
10-08-2005, 04:11 PM
How about this one... dead or still going?

The wife kick you out yet?

monsoontide
10-09-2005, 01:49 PM
Ha ha, funny you should mention that, as I've just managed to fix some of the map/shader problems I've been having with this one... so things should be back on track (Apart from the fact I absolutley loathe doing handrails!!! LOL) - If I can just get the Siege Battle Posts to work properly everything should be a go!

monsoontide
10-13-2005, 08:52 PM
Alrighty!
Got a list of about 25 things to do and then part one will be ready for Alpha testing...
Mostly small stuff like fixing a few triggers and making sure all the objectives work (currently the Rebel team's all work - haven't had a chance to test the imperial team) and doing all the siege stuff - Making map, Objective Pix and Objective Icons - which kinda have to be done after you've made the map!
Only Major things are finishing all the frickin hand rails and completing the Rebel Commando model... (Currently using the Jan Ors model here)

Once part 1 is finished, then I'll finish off parts two and 3 which are not too far behind part one (about 65%-75% done!)

Screenshots after the next compile... (So hopefully by Saturday/Sunday) :D

razorace
10-13-2005, 09:16 PM
sweet. :)

monsoontide
10-15-2005, 10:23 PM
As per usual, I change something and the map won't comp the lighting stage any more... :(

OK - its nearly all good to go but I have one problem...
I'm currently using a func_static with the "shader switch" option set so it flips between two images.
What I really need is one that flips between 3 that I can set manually.
i.e. so it starts as neutral (white) and depending on which team activates it, changes to either red or blue.
Anyone know of a key/valu combo, shader or script I can use to do this?

So close and yet still so far....... going craaaaaazy! LOL

Will still post some pix today, but they won;t be lit and will look sucky.

monsoontide
10-16-2005, 03:13 AM
In the entity definition for spawning NPC's, it says:

"These strings can be used to activate behaviors instead of scripts - these are checked first and so no scripts should be names with these names:
default - 0: whatever
idle - 1: Stand around, do abolutely nothing
roam - 2: Roam around, collect stuff
walk - 3: Crouch-Walk toward their goals
run - 4: Run toward their goals
standshoot - 5: Stay in one spot and shoot- duck when neccesary
standguard - 6: Wait around for an enemy
patrol - 7: Follow a path, looking for enemies
huntkill - 8: Track down enemies and kill them
evade - 9: Run from enemies
evadeshoot - 10: Run from enemies, shoot them if they hit you
runshoot - 11: Run to your goal and shoot enemy when possible
defend - 12: Defend an entity or spot?
snipe - 13: Stay hidden, shoot enemy only when have perfect shot and back turned
combat - 14: Attack, evade, use cover, move about, etc. Full combat AI - id NPC code
medic - 15: Go for lowest health buddy, hide and heal him.
takecover - 16: Find nearest cover from enemies
getammo - 17: Go get some ammo
advancefight - 18: Go somewhere and fight along the way
face - 19: turn until facing desired angles
wait - 20: do nothing
formation - 21: Maintain a formation
crouch - 22: Crouch-walk toward their goals "

What are the KEY/VALUE settings to get these to actually work?
(I know it should be KEY: spawnscript, but what's the value? Is it VALUE: medic, VALUE: medic - 15, VALUE: 15???)
And is there anything else you need to do?
Hell! are these even implemented in JKA?

Thanks
Monsoontide

lassev
10-16-2005, 04:50 AM
Considering the func_static of different colours, should it work for both teams independently? I mean should both team be able to go there and change it to their own colour, or just the team that happens to find it first? To be more specific, should it always be first white for both team, no matter if the other has found it before, or does the first team to find it kind of lock it to their own colour?

monsoontide
10-16-2005, 05:29 AM
Well, it would start of neutral (unowned) then it would turn eith blue or red depending on which team CURRENTLY "owns" it. Ownership can change hands several times. It would only START as white at the beginning of each round.

monsoontide
10-16-2005, 05:46 AM
Hollow Log bridge + River objective (Currently "owned" by the Rebels).
http://img427.imageshack.us/img427/6149/shot00213gk.th.jpg (http://img427.imageshack.us/my.php?image=shot00213gk.jpg)

Stolen Imperial Shuttle (Currently "owned" by the Rebels).
http://img427.imageshack.us/img427/6820/shot00191fc.th.jpg (http://img427.imageshack.us/my.php?image=shot00191fc.jpg)

A bridge into the Ewok village.
http://img359.imageshack.us/img359/474/shot00227ky.th.jpg (http://img359.imageshack.us/my.php?image=shot00227ky.jpg)

Running through the forest.
http://img359.imageshack.us/img359/3073/shot00208gr.th.jpg (http://img359.imageshack.us/my.php?image=shot00208gr.jpg)

Rebel Trooper on Speeder Bike by Imperial Scout Outpost (Currently "owned" by the Imperials)
http://img359.imageshack.us/img359/7100/shot00275nv.th.jpg (http://img359.imageshack.us/my.php?image=shot00275nv.jpg)

Inside The Bunker
http://img427.imageshack.us/img427/8958/shot00281bo.th.jpg (http://img427.imageshack.us/my.php?image=shot00281bo.jpg)

Oh, I'm using simple 2D textures on things for two reasons 1: SPEED - 2:I'd go INSANE trying to model all those logs in RADIANT! And NO I'm not doing them as a misc_model since every platform is different and then I'd be going mad clipping everything. However as the textures were pinched from BATTLEFRONT and are rather LO-RES, I still have to take the time out to redraw them properly.

lassev
10-16-2005, 09:25 AM
Well, it would start of neutral (unowned) then it would turn eith blue or red depending on which team CURRENTLY "owns" it. Ownership can change hands several times. It would only START as white at the beginning of each round.

So... It starts white. If a Blue team member finds it and uses it, it turns blue (or analogously to red if a Red member uses it). But if the Blue member uses it again when it's already blue, it does nothing. But if a Red member uses the blue entity, it turns red.

A neat problem you have got there... My initial instinct would be to rather use three separate entities, perhaps func_usables, rather than one entity and try to control animmaps (or something).

Func_usable seems to have a "teamuser" key for specifically Siege purposes. If you used it with scripting (or a bunch of target_activates and _deactivates) it should be possible to build a hack that would work like I described in the first paragraph of this post.

Like deactivating the one that's visible and activating the one that's invisible. The white one in the beginning should be accessible to both and would be rendered permanently inactive when used once.

Hmm... Considering the start situation scripting might be easier...

Another solution I have also used (kind of, in SP) would be to have a visible, inaccessible func_usable with 2 frame switchable animmap for boths colours. Then the actual accessible func_usables would be made of caulk and thus invisible, but usable. They would then just use the visible func_usable (or the func_static switch shader you suggested yourself). Of course this solution would also require a completely separate white brush as the empty starting piece.

Well, this is all theoretical and based on my imagination. I wouldn't even know how to test something in Siege. The only thing I can do in MP is to devmap and I think that launches a map always in FFA...

monsoontide
10-16-2005, 03:50 PM
Had been wondering if it was possible to set each anim frame on a shader as a "parm" parameter on the entity and have a script call the appropriate parameter/frame...
Hmmm.... Currently just using a workaround with just Red & Blue. It's crude but adequate.
Will have to look into this more.

lassev
10-16-2005, 05:57 PM
I don't think that's possible. As far as I know, it's just possible to "scroll" through them all one by one, and after you reach the last, it will begin a new round from the first frame. That's the func_usable function with "endframe" defined.

monsoontide
10-16-2005, 09:20 PM
The reason I ask about the "default" NPC behaviours, is because when you "capture" an objective, you'll get a couple of NPC buddies spawning in to help you.
I just to be able to set their behavior in the entity window if as suggested, that is actually possible. However, I imagine it'll have to be done the long way!

Map is currently comping 12+ hours so far... will find out when I get home if it's still going....
Funny you know the map comps fine overnight - then I "fix" the skybox and part of the terrain that weren't lining up properly and WHAM - comp time goes throught the roof!!! Must be doing it "properly" now ;)

If I can get this comp to finish the lighting stage, I'll be putting this map up at www.pcgamemods.com as an ALPHA test. So I can get a bit of feedback on how/if it plays.

monsoontide
10-18-2005, 08:07 PM
Not so good. Three days of compiling and it still wasn't done... (And it was only taking one night not so long ago) So its back to the drawing board, cuttnig and pasting Elements from one map into a brand new map, piece by piece... doing a test compile. If it works, we move on to the next piece. I hate this... Is there any way to tell if the comp is actually making PROGRESS/doing anything?

razorace
10-18-2005, 08:35 PM
Try asking in the map forum. They might know.

wedge2211
10-18-2005, 11:56 PM
If you know which compile stage is taking too long, don't log that stage. Just watch the command window and see what part of the process it hangs up on, and we can comment further on possible causes.

monsoontide
10-19-2005, 02:31 AM
Ok, I've worked it out...
Was being slightly naughty and trying to duplicate and flip my terrain to extend it.
However it was originally 4 units off, (and compiled fine) when I aligned it perfectly, it seems that it had problems telling the difference between the two sections of terrain - thus not comping.
I've reintroduced the offset between the terrain entites and it comps fine now!!!
So hopefully that's all it is!

wedge2211
10-19-2005, 11:45 AM
That sounds...backwards. Compiling quickly when things are misaligned, I mean.

monsoontide
10-19-2005, 10:35 PM
In this case I think it was because the compiler is trying to treat the two separate terrain pieces as one was what was the problem.
By offsetting the second duplicate piece, it then regonizes them as being separate...
Not 100% certain - still testing...

Lindsey
10-20-2005, 12:58 PM
have you ever considered making a map like this in Half-Life 2?

I've been mapping for it lately and never want to go back to Radiant :P

Glad to see your still working hard on this project and I wish you and your compiler luck!

monsoontide
10-20-2005, 04:02 PM
I Dunno - I gess I'm just jaded but I found Half-Life 2 really um... well it was OK... but the whole game is really on rails if you know what I mean and I'm OHHHHHHHHH so tired of GRUNGE. They make these wonderful gaming engines that can do some beautiful things and all anyone can do is grungey dilapidated post apocalyptic scenarios.
And all I've seen anyone developing for Half-Life 2 in the mod community is contemporary or near future modern warefare crap.
I just haven't felt inspired enough by the new game engines.
The only reason I did maps for Jedi Knight is 'cos the Multiplayer had SAGA/SIEGE modes which seemed interesting as I'm dead bored of every other multiplayer mode.
Maybe if Battlefront 2 comes with some DECENT modding tools then I might do something - but knowing Pandemic, it won't.
Besides, I've given away my Half-Life 2 now.

OH off topic - but did anyone else think that King Kong demo sucked a*s?

monsoontide
10-20-2005, 04:27 PM
Darth Vader enters the Ewok Village in pursuit of the Rebels...
http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/1931/shot00404dd.th.jpg (http://img215.imageshack.us/my.php?image=shot00404dd.jpg)

Imagine the Ewok carnage!
http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/1706/shot00417xz.th.jpg (http://img215.imageshack.us/my.php?image=shot00417xz.jpg)

Thank the Maker?
http://img452.imageshack.us/img452/5499/shot00420jr.th.jpg (http://img452.imageshack.us/my.php?image=shot00420jr.jpg)

OK, this is how it is looking... still haven't put my Redwood Tree models back in yet (or any of the Siege Objectives)

Pahricida
10-20-2005, 09:49 PM
The only reason I did maps for Jedi Knight is 'cos the Multiplayer had SAGA/SIEGE modes which seemed interesting as I'm dead bored of every other multiplayer mode.

http://www.moviebattles.com/

*hint* *hint*

monsoontide
10-21-2005, 12:22 AM
If this ends up to your liking, you're welcome to include it in Movie Battles.

Pahricida
10-21-2005, 07:50 AM
Well that was not really my intention.
I would though but our maps objectives are quite different than in siege, but we'll see once it's out.

You said JKA bored you and that you only played Siege/Saga so I thought I'd just direct you to our mod since it contains everything those two offer in a polished and improved form.

But enough of the advertise-abuse in this thread.

monsoontide
10-21-2005, 09:38 PM
No, no - you misunderstand me... I really enjoyed Jedi Academy... Otherwise I wouldn't be wasting my time doing this...
It's more that recent fps games have been kinda dull and samey...
Doom 3, Half-Life 2, Quake 4 (Currently giving it a whirl but my poor PC can barely cope with it!!! LOL). From the Demo I've played of FEAR, that sucks too. Gears Of War on X-box looks like more of the same - impressive game engines but just nothing going on originality wise or really trying to push the games with something really new GAMEPLAY wise. Sure there's buckets of atmosphere but thats about it.
The only games I've enjoyed of late has been Grand Theft Auto SanAndreas (Free roaming total environment), Star Wars Battlefront (Star Wars Combat on large scale), Lego Star Wars (Cos it was kinda cool in a silly way and had lots of secret stuff to find), oh and I like Far Cry (cos it had a cool open ended approach to achieving things (and was in a cool environment - well mostly)).
There just seems to be this huge movement towards making everything grungy and ugly and all sort of near future urban combat.
Its dull, dull, dull.
I loved Halo but the 2nd one, I just couldn't get into (probably cos I was playing on the X-box and just hate using contorllers for FPS games)
Everything gets dumbed down for console releases now.
Personally, I'd love to make a really kickass Jedi Knight sequel thats somewhat of a cross between Jedi Academy, KOTOR2, Gran Theft Auto and Battlefront.
And it would have to have really solid saber combat (You know, like where the lightsabers don't pass through each other) and really solid force powers, I mean with the current physics engines, you should be able to pick up an entire X-wing and wave it around... LOL.

But its all my opinion and since I've been playing video games for like twenty years I guess I'm just looking for something new gameplay wise.
Pretty graphics do not a decent game make.

razorace
10-22-2005, 04:41 PM
I tend to agree. :)

monsoontide
10-24-2005, 09:40 PM
OK back on Topic!!! I have nearly everything working (and lighting!) so - just need to do a few more tweaks (like adding more spawn points for the teams - currently there's only one each! LOL) maybe adding a couple more tree models.
It's far from complete but I WILL be releasing it for ALPHA testing in the next week.
NO!!! REALLY!!!
Though I won't be interested in any feedback about how crap it looks and that I haven't done all the handrails yet and that textyre X looks crap. I'm just wanting to know if it plays well and if the teams are balanced and if the objectives are um, for want of a better word "playable!"
Alas PC Gamemods is down at the moment...

Pahricida
10-25-2005, 12:59 PM
so I assume it'll be open for testing to everyone.
What about Lucasfiles?

monsoontide
10-25-2005, 04:22 PM
Yep... open Beta (Alpha.. whatever)
I'll try and post it to a few places.
Was gonna have it for today, but I updated a texture and it didn't replace it properly, so I have to go through the map and realign every instance. Sigh.
Should get it done tonight and have it ready for tomorrow

Kurgan
10-26-2005, 04:18 AM
Please, please, please tell me that even if you decide to toss this map in with moviebattles, that you DO release a version for us "vanilla" Siege folks!

Some of us would rather just run a siege map than that mod (no offense to the MB2 fans of course). ;)

There are so few addon Siege maps as it is, don't let MB2 suck up EVERY good idea! Don't get me wrong, MB2 looks to be a quality mod, but it changes the gameplay of basejka (plus it's over 90 megs!). Plenty of us find Siege quite fun as it is. We just want more maps to play it on!

Also, don't forget to include the Objectives icons on the radar! (Too many maps have just glowing dots, which gets confusing and looks crappy).

Looks awesome so far. I had given up hope somewhat on this, as many other awesome siege projects that got sidetracked or died (like the ill-fated Siege Hoth).

Good luck!

PS: I can post a mirror of any files if you want, in a reasonable timeframe, if that will help. Just email them to me zipped with instructions.

CerberuS_21
10-26-2005, 09:09 AM
Please, please, please tell me that even if you decide to toss this map in with moviebattles, that you DO release a version for us "vanilla" Siege folks!
Well, as far as I can see monssontide only stated that if Pahricida wanted to convert it to a MBII map he could do it. He didn't say he was making it as a MBII map ;)

There are so few addon Siege maps as it is, don't let MB2 suck up EVERY good idea!
I don't think we've ever "sucked up" any good idea for Siege maps (as in - persuaded people who originally wanted to make a basejka map to make it a MBII one). All our maps are either heavily modified FFA maps (which were originally released for basejka/basejo - e.g. Jabba's Palace, Sith-J's Tatooine map etc) or have been made specifically for MBII (i.e. the mappers didn't want it to be a Siege map in the first place).

Don't get me wrong - I'm taking no offense from your post. Just wanted to clear that up ;) Before I joined the MBII team I've been a long-time Siege player as well and I agree that Siege desperately needs some (good) new maps.

------------
On topic:

Looks very nice, monsoontide.

I've already been a big fan of Bast Castle and I'm sure as a map that's been designed with a more linear layout this one will turn out even better playability-wise :) Just don't include lifts of doom ;)

Out of curiosity - which filesize does Endor have atm? If it's close to the one of Bast Castle you might want to hint server admins at increasing sv_timeout - I remember that when testing Bast Castle quite a few people couldn't join the server (due to the filesize they timed out before the map had finished loading on their comp) if that cvar was set to the standard value.

monsoontide
10-26-2005, 04:22 PM
Well I will be posting the BETA test of the first map (There's three) - The Ewok Village - tonight after work...

monsoontide
10-26-2005, 06:35 PM
Hey CerberuS_21, hopefully the final map sizes shouldn't be too big...
It was originally one HUGE map, but I gave up doing it that way (too many problems) and now it is three separate map that are somewhat joined together - eg. should the Imperial team win the ENDOR BUNKER map, then the EWOK VILLAGE map will be automatically loaded and play will continue (though scores are reset) and if they win that map they are VICTORIOUS, if they loose play moves back to the ENDOR BUNKER map and if they loose again, play then moves to the third map the ENDOR SHIELD GENERATOR complex. If the Rebels win here then they are VICTORIOUS.
Play can oscilate back and forth. However, each map is playable as a separate entity all by itself.
Thats one of the main reasons I want to test the maps is to make sure this gameplay mechanic will work successfully, as well as working out team balancing issues and making sure that the objectives are balanced, since to win a map each team must capture ALL six objectives. Each objective can be captured by the opposite team and teams each start with 3 objectives already captured (Couldn't find a way to work around this).

Now all I have to do is redo the botrouting when i get home - repack the .pk3 file so there's no extraneous stuff in there and upload it to whatever sites are still up - most likely lucasfiles and jediknight2.filefront.com since pcgamemods is down. So look for it within the next 24 hours (I'll post links when its up)

Kurgan
10-27-2005, 01:13 AM
If you email me the files I'll post it on my page (kurganx@comcast.net).

(see sig for Strategic Academy)

monsoontide
10-27-2005, 05:48 AM
Um... It's about 24mb... e-mail limit is about 10mb here.
Any suggestions?
Looks like pcgamemods is valiantly trying to start up again! Not quite there yet!

Kurgan
10-27-2005, 06:10 AM
Well whatever works... I sent you a PM btw!

monsoontide
10-27-2005, 07:01 AM
Um... well I only have Yahoo and I don;t think that'll let you transfer 24mb files either... but hey! I've never tried it - could be wrong!
It's late though and I have to be up at 5am, so need to go to bed for tonight - hope to have this sorted by tomorrow as its all ready to go!

Kurgan
10-27-2005, 11:06 AM
The IM programs usually don't have a limit, but I could be wrong in Yahoo's case.

I offered 'cause it seemed like Pcgamemods was going to be your "only hope." ;)

Whatever then, sleep tight!

Lathain Valtiel
10-27-2005, 03:54 PM
Yahoo has no limit. It's just fickle and has a really messed up alternate way of transferring in which it transfers to a temp spot on some server and sends your partner the link.

monsoontide
10-27-2005, 04:09 PM
Ahhh...
OK. Will try that.
Am also sending it to JK2files.com via www.yousendit.com

Pahricida
10-27-2005, 04:59 PM
Pcgamemods is back up again.

monsoontide
10-27-2005, 06:00 PM
Yes, but it's not at all working properly.

I tried www.yousendit.com but that timed out...
will try again after work.

Anyone have an ftp site I can upload to?

monsoontide
10-28-2005, 02:29 AM
Download From Here 4 Now!

http://s5.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2WTLRJQM9W6HF35R8JOQ5KTCHL

Any problems with the file, let me know ASAP!!!

Kurgan
10-28-2005, 05:52 AM
Well I offered to help... btw, was that you sending me the Yahoo request? I added "perseussociety" about an hour ago...

monsoontide
10-28-2005, 06:09 AM
Yep... Will send it to you now. Sorry haven't checked my Yahoo tonight

Kurgan
10-28-2005, 06:44 AM
I got the file, I can post it later today (Friday).

I noticed right off the bat that there is a big missing texture (half pipe shaped) inside each of the big colored "aura" objectives. The big half pipe thing standing on its side that appears to "follow you" as you move around it. That texture is missing on all of the object spots (I can post a screenshot in a bit if you don't know what I'm talking about).

I also noticed that several of the player classes don't have a face icon. Is that due to missing files?

In the readme you said to reduce space you removed the speeder bike, scout trooper and ewok. Can the map run without them or not?

I also noticed that you included the Death Star Trooper (the Dark Forces Mod style Imperial Naval Trooper with the sunglasses), Han Solo and Darth Vader (which one?). Will the mod crash without those? I thought I installed the mods you asked for in the readme and it crashed on spawn... I'll check my base folder to see what I've got.

Kudos!

Edit: "Missing" skins? (might want to double check these, and if they're not included please put in the exact URL of each one! I'll be uploading them to the site when I have confirmation from you which ones are needed!)

Not sure which Darth Vader Model you used... (http://pcgamemods.com/5-0-0-3200-1.html)

Han Solo (JK2 model) (http://jediknight2.filefront.com/file/Han_Solo;7779)

Imperial Commando (http://pcgamemods.com/mod/9030.html)

Also:

Imperial Commando (no goggles, reskin as an alternative?) (http://pcgamemods.com/mod/16233.html)

Not sure if there are any AT-ST's on the map, but there's an:

AT-ST Pilot skin (http://pcgamemods.com/mod/11540.html)

monsoontide
10-28-2005, 07:15 AM
Thanks!!!
Dang! Forgot about vader!!!
And the AT-ST pilot!!! LOL
and HAN SOLO!!!
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh
knew I was forgetting a bunch of stuff!!!
OK - gotta go look up which versions used!
brb

monsoontide
10-28-2005, 07:26 AM
OK, It's VaderVM 2.1: http://pcgamemods.com/mod/11421.html - though the more recent ones should work as well...maybe...
it's mc_hansolo: http://jediknight2.filefront.com/file/Han_Solo;7779
AT-ST Pilot is at http://pcgamemods.com/mod/11250.html

You'll need all of them to run the map!!!
I'd pack them in but the download would be HUGE!!!

monsoontide
10-28-2005, 07:30 AM
Screenshots of anything missing would be great.
Did I not imclude the Imperial Commando?
I checked the zip before I uploaded and I was sure he was in there.
(Must be missing some other file... dang!)

Please let me know if you can get it working or not!!!!

Kurgan
10-28-2005, 07:33 AM
Okay you included the face shot of the Imperial Commando, but not sure if you forgot to include the actual model. I also noticed (I see your post now):

Had missing face shots:
AT-ST Pilot
Darth Vader
Han Solo

So I filled those in.

When I try to spawn a bot in so I can play the map, I get a "recursive error, MAX CVARS" though I am running OJP, so that might be the conflict (bummer if they're not compatible!) and the game locks up. I'll try it once more with the skins properly installed...

All I'm asking is a list of the needed skins IN the readme so people know which ones and where to get them. ;)

Kurgan
10-28-2005, 07:38 AM
Still crashes. I'm going to remove all my extra pk3's and see what happens.

Oh btw, I did have VaderVM2.2 installed, perhaps that was the conflict?

Screenshots of missing textures:

http://strategy.jediknight.net/jka/mods/shot0023.jpg
http://strategy.jediknight.net/jka/mods/shot0024.jpg
http://strategy.jediknight.net/jka/mods/shot0025.jpg

Okay, cleaned up my base and swapped in only the files you said to use. Wish me luck!

Also, updated my downloads page with the files here:

http://strategy.jediknight.net/jka/downloads.shtml (scroll to the bottom)

monsoontide
10-28-2005, 07:54 AM
Hmmm, I get "404 not found" on those screenshot links.

Man, every time I release on of these maps, its a real challenge to get them so other people can actually play them successfully!!!

monsoontide
10-28-2005, 08:03 AM
Hey Kurgan found this...

"I noticed while testing that with to many cvars set the server will crash and display an error message. Don't remember exactly but was something like: Recursive error: MAX CVARS.

I got this message after cycling trough all the gametype in Merciless mode. I then rewrote the cvardef code that AWE, CTF and DEM is using to get cvar values.

cvardef will set a cvar to the default value if does not exist which means that all AWE, CTF and DEM cvars will be setup even if default values is used. Add to that cvars that the other gametypes setup and the ones that Merciless set up and you get quite a lot.

cvardef in AWE 1.4.3 beta 2 will not set cvars that do not exist. Therefor I recommend putting // (two slashes) in front of all the lines in your config files that sets something that are the default value. That way you still have them in your config as a reference but they will not take up resources.

This will propably only affect people running many gametypes but with Merciless v.6 coming I suspect there will a lot more cvars added so you might aswell start going through your config files now to avoid future problems."

Also:

Re: Max Cvars
Reply #6 on: September 26, 2005, 05:22:09 PM
Maybe this is what you wanted but just to clarify. It sounds like its running dedicated, which means you will only get that console to change maps and configure your server for other people to connect to it. If you want to run a server so that you can play as well while your running it you will need to set it to non dedicated server.

If you are using this shortcut from our site

"C:\Program Files\Quake III Arena\quake3.exe" +set fs_game pow +set dedicated 2 +exec server.cfg

Set dedicated to 0 instead of 2

And:

Re: Max Cvars
Reply #7 on: September 26, 2005, 05:25:21 PM
Also if you are using custom scripts/configs and not the ones that come with JBPOW in the pow folder you might have too many entries in there.

Hope these help!

Kurgan
10-28-2005, 08:40 AM
Doesn't really help me at all, sorry (what's the URL of the place you got those from anyway?).

I'm not running a dedicated server. Ask about Max Cvars on the coding forum or ask RazorAce, I'm sure he can help. ;)

Max Cvars MIGHT be resulting from a conflict between your map and OJP basic. Again, you should talk to Razor, get that ironed out. It may be that he can fix it. I hate to think I can't use OJP with your map! :(

Btw, I got it to work. I removed all the pk3's out of my base that the mod wasn't using, and guess what? It works!

However, oddly enough, the Sky texture and the ground texture are now missing!

Apparently you have those two textures in another pk3.. perhaps another addon map in your base! Oops.

You said it's hard to get mods working for other people. My advice is to do this... before you release something, clean out your base folder completely. Leave in only basejka pk3's like the assets files and the pk3's you're going to upload to whatever mod site. This will show you definitively if any files are missing.

I tried to take a screenshot of my base folder but PS is messing up for some reason, so here's the files I have listed (do you have any of these?)... some of these might contain the textures you were using! But you need to include those textures in the map...

Tell me if you have any of these in your base:

atpt.pk3
battle-of-hoth.pk3
ctf_empires.pk3
ctf_taspir.pk3
DSSROTSSABERSOUNDS.pk3
mc_blasteh.pk3
ojp_animations_002b8.pk3
ojp_basicdlls_007b9.pk3
ojp_basicstuff_007b9.pk3
red_slushie_flags.pk3
sithcouncilv2.pk3
sjc_EIII_mappack_part_1.pk3
SJC_EIII_mappack_partII.pk3
user_Dynamicglow+Lightning.pk3
vaderep3.pk3
VaderVm2.2.pk3

Also, some kind of announcement or sound effect when you complete an objective would be nice. I couldn't tell when I was completing an objective or what. Those icons on the radar should disappear once you've completed them too probably... (and I notice on the Objectives menu map only the rebel ones highlight when you click on them... plus the icons are too big on the menu map).

The speeder bike is great, but (just like in SWBF) there is no room to ride it! You can go about two inches before you have to stop and navigate around some obstruction or ram into something. "realistic" or not, it's dang annoying. What's the point of a bike except to travel some long distance quickly? As is, it's kind of useless.

Finally, you may want to give Luke his "luke" hilt (that's a hidden one in basejka) and perhaps give Vader something else for his hilt (perhaps isolate a vader hilt from another mod and include it).

monsoontide
10-28-2005, 06:28 PM
Yep, not to worry, those are all the things that need ironing out...
Funny - I did record sounds (voiceovers actually) for when you complete each objective! + text should come up saying that you've done an objective.
Also since each objective can be captured multiple times, there's no point in them dissapearing off the map.
Not sure why the imperial icons don't show up... will have to look into that..
The speeder bike is there for if you want to use it - but its really for the MAIN part of the map (SIEGE_Endor_Bunker) which is much longer and has AT-ST's in it and log traps and the imperial bunker. The third part of the map is SIEGE_Endor_ShieldGenerator and has the Imperial Landing platform and the Shield Generator complex... Still working on both of those.
As for saber hilts... it's on my to do list! LOL
OK guess I'm gonna have to include all the extra stuff in the zip after all...
Will remake the pk3 file from scratch to make sure I have everything.
Will try and repost an updated ZIP file later today!!! Gonna be big though!

Thanks very much for your help... I do appreciate it!

monsoontide
10-28-2005, 11:16 PM
OK... I've rezipped the file, fixed the missing texture, made some fixes to some other bits and pieces and it's now available here with screenshots
http://www.pcgamemods.com/mod/16861.html
(Note: it does not include any of the extra files - you still need to download them separately!)

monsoontide
10-29-2005, 02:03 AM
WOW! Since I put it up there 160 people have looked at it and 7 people have downloaded!!!!
I guess its too much effort for people to read the readme and download some extra files... LOL

Working on the next map now!!! Hope to get all three done ASAP

Kurgan
10-29-2005, 07:11 AM
You could put all the extra files in a "resource" type pk3, but if it's all required for the mod anyway...

Yeah, remember, people are danged lazy! You've got to make it as easy as possible for them to get everything in one, neat, package. ;)

Looks like the file only increased in size about a meg. Remember though, despite how lazy people are, they are willing to download 100+ meg "ownage" videos, and 90+ megs for a mod like MovieBattles 2!

As is the file I got before was unwinnable. In fact, those first few objectives stayed crossed out (2, 4 & 5?) no matter what you did.

To save space, make sure there are no "thumbs.db" files in there and that you've only included files required to run the map, nothing from basejka.

New sounds and music of course take up the most space...

PS:

-I'll check out what you've got now that I'm home and awake!

-Are you using HapSlash's improved stormtrooper model?

-Did you remember to put the grass texture and the sky texture in the main pk3? In the version I have, the sky and ground were missing, plus the underside of the wooden ramps was transparent... apparently all those textures were from other addon maps, but missing from the siege endor file!

monsoontide
10-29-2005, 08:33 AM
No those textures were custom made by me as well as the shaders and they're ALL included in the file.
I stripped everything out of the base folder except the needed files, tested it, repacked it from scratch, and tested it again.
Download the latest version from www.pcgamemods and see if that works better for you.
I am personally using Hapslash's stormtrooper & Imperial officer player models - but since they replace the standard ones, it doesn't matter if you use them or not.

Kurgan
10-29-2005, 10:41 AM
Okay after further testing with the new file (from PCGM),
I've found the following problems:

The grass and sky textures are still missing.
Perhaps they're not in the proper directories?
(See posted screenshots below)

Some walkways are invisible on the bottoms
(when viewed from below).

The "shaft of energy" textures are there now,
but they're very dark, not at all like in the
screenshots on PCGM! And just in case there
was any doubt, I did turn on r_dynamicglow 1
and turned on "show detailed shaders" and still
they look dark and drab.

For reference, I'm using an ATI All-In-Wonder 9600
(128 mb) with the latest (I think) drivers. 1024x768
res.

Minor stuff:

Han Solo's taunts are missing (he just has the
default Reborn taunts). Understandable as this
is a converted JK2 model
(most such models have goofed up taunts).

Might want to remind people not to use the biker
scout blaster, since it replaces everyone's pistol,
not just that of the biker scouts (and it doesn't
change the blaster bolt color of the pistol anyway...
it should be red!).

Major stuff:

http://strategy.jediknight.net/jka/mods/objectivesendor.jpg

Note when the map STARTS, those objectives are
already completed. And running over those shafts
of light doesn't seem to change anything after the
map starts. I do hear the voice over at the very
start, but no more after that. The map seems
unwinnable, as is, at least for the offense. :(

http://strategy.jediknight.net/jka/mods/shot0031.jpg
http://strategy.jediknight.net/jka/mods/shot0032.jpg
http://strategy.jediknight.net/jka/mods/shot0033.jpg
http://strategy.jediknight.net/jka/mods/shot0035.jpg

Now you see it.

http://strategy.jediknight.net/jka/mods/shot0034.jpg

Now you don't!

http://strategy.jediknight.net/jka/mods/shot0036.jpg
http://strategy.jediknight.net/jka/mods/shot0037.jpg
http://strategy.jediknight.net/jka/mods/shot0043.jpg
http://strategy.jediknight.net/jka/mods/shot0044.jpg
http://strategy.jediknight.net/jka/mods/shot0045.jpg

You mentioned that the NPC's don't attack,
which is true. They also are immune to Force
Powers (can't push, pull, or grip them).

It looks like you DID include the Imperial Commando
skin IN the main pk3. You did include the Endor sky
and ground textures BUT they are NOT showing up,
in the actual map!

Edit: links fixed

Kurgan
10-29-2005, 10:59 AM
Also:

One way to save some space would
be to just use the standard voice files
that say "the enemy has completed a
secondary objective" etc. rather than
your custom ones (or have the custom
voice files be a secondary file that would
overwrite the defaults). The objectives
are normally identified with onscreen text,
and custom voice files, while helpful, are
not completely necessary. Anyway, just
a thought. ;)

monsoontide
10-29-2005, 04:36 PM
OK... in order to complete objectives, you have to HOLD DOWN the use key!
Just running through the beam will do nothing!
Can't do anything about Han Solo's sounds! I didn't make the model!
3 objects on each side are already completed. I wanted to make it a different way but it was making the objectives too complicated to get to work.
As for your missing textures, I believe you need to go to your "Gamedata/Base/Shaders" folder and open up the "shaderlist.txt" file and add "endor" to it! that should solve any problems.

razorace
10-29-2005, 05:04 PM
wow, Kurgan is a beta testing maniac.

Lathain Valtiel
10-29-2005, 11:27 PM
Actually, the texture problems are most likely due to the fact that...

ATST Pilot has bad shaders!

Observe these errors:

WARNING: R_FindImageFile could not find 'models/players/atst_pilot/holster_gun_spec' in shader
'models/players/atst_pilot/holster_gun'
Shader models/players/atst_pilot/holster_gun has a stage with no image
WARNING: R_FindImageFile could not find 'models/players/atst_pilot/hand_spec' in shader
'models/players/atst_pilot/hand'
Shader models/players/atst_pilot/hand has a stage with no image
WARNING: unknown general shader parameter 'models/players/atst_pilot/goggles' in
'models/players/atst_pilot/face'
WARNING: R_FindImageFile could not find 'models/players/atst_pilot/torso_spec' in shader
'models/players/atst_pilot/torso'
Shader models/players/atst_pilot/torso has a stage with no image

My red slushie flags stopped working after I DLed that model, and bad textures showed up on even default maps... You do the math.

PS: You missed off a } in the shader file. Hence bad errors.

models/players/atst_pilot/face
{
q3map_nolightmap
{
map models/players/atst_pilot/face
rgbGen lightingDiffuse
}

A last } needs to be there. That fixes 'unknown shader parameter' and fixes other shaders this model breaks. As for the file can't be found errors... Well, I think we all know what's the problem (Files aren't there).

Furthermore, you forgot to make shaders for the team skins. It's missing shaders the default gets. You doubled the torso shaders (but put them under another name).

Kurgan
10-30-2005, 12:47 PM
Interesting. So I guess the Atstpilot(shaderfix) version on PCGameMods would be a better choice... (the work is already done for you!)

Kurgan
10-30-2005, 01:02 PM
wow, Kurgan is a beta testing maniac.

Heh, I wish. I loaded up the map like 3 times, and downloaded 7 files!

Anyway, don't be jealous, I've spent countless hours on OJP. ;)

Lathain Valtiel
10-30-2005, 02:19 PM
No. No the shaderfix isn't.

It doesn't FIX the shaders... It just nukes them all. That's not a damn fix, that's gutting.

I have the shader file fixed on my file, but I had to delete the bad hand_spec etc stuff.

Monsoon, do you have the three missing files? If you do, I'll be glad to make a fixed version.

Kurgan
10-30-2005, 04:03 PM
Bummer. Forget it then!

monsoontide
10-30-2005, 06:57 PM
If you let ,me know which files you need, I'll send them to you ASAP!
Sorry for all the hassle - part of BETA testing I guess... Sigh.
Has anyone actually managed to play the map?
I've been holding off on uploading fixes as I'm nearly done getting the 3rd map ready...
All the objectives are in and working... just have to add some more lights and fix a few things tonight and then it will be all go, so I thought I'd upload the fiexes at the same time.
Still, it won't be ALL happening until I get the MAIN map finished and that still need quite some work alas. Still each map is quite playable by itself.

Does anyone have any GOOD references of what the red generator things inside the bunker look like? (I need to rebuild the ones I have... Sunburn made them for me, but they have a super high poly count, so I thought I'd try and make them more quake engine friendly...)

Lathain Valtiel
10-30-2005, 07:53 PM
For the ATST Pilot, I need:

'models/players/atst_pilot/holster_gun_spec'
'models/players/atst_pilot/hand_spec'
'models/players/atst_pilot/torso_spec'

and that should do it.

Kurgan
10-31-2005, 12:12 AM
Does anyone have any GOOD references of what the red generator things inside the bunker look like? (I need to rebuild the ones I have... Sunburn made them for me, but they have a super high poly count, so I thought I'd try and make them more quake engine friendly...)

References.. you mean like from the ROTJ DVD? Or was it not shown in the movie?

I tried to play the map (as best as one could with only bots), but the missing textures and lack of recognition for completing objectives made me give up.
:(

monsoontide
10-31-2005, 04:45 AM
Lathain Valtiel - where do you want me to sen d the files?

Lathain Valtiel
10-31-2005, 05:29 PM
Check your PMs.

Lathain Valtiel
11-01-2005, 12:12 PM
I can't seem to submit it to pcgamemods... The uploader stalls after around 2 MB.

As it stands however, I managed to submit it to Lucasfiles (APPROVE IT KURGAN!).

EDIT: ...Correction. That won't let me finish uploading either! WTF?

Hey Kurgan, get on ICQ!

Kurgan
11-01-2005, 03:14 PM
Sorry I'm on my way to class, I just saw your message (turns on ICQ). Too bad I don't know how to auto accept files on it!

Approving a file on Lucasfiles takes a bit longer but if it's still not ready by the time I get back tonight I'll make sure it gets posted. ;)

Lathain Valtiel
11-01-2005, 08:45 PM
Here's the link to the fixed Pilot:

http://www.lucasfiles.com/index.php?s=&action=file&id=1200

monsoontide
11-01-2005, 11:15 PM
Cool will make sure I update the on on PCgame mods personally...

Currently just have to do the bot routing and fix a couple of icons on the 2nd map...that should be ready by the weekend...
Also hoping to get the 3rd map ready ASAP. Just have to get my log traps working properly and add the siege objectives...

Just got my DVD of Revenge Of The Sith from K-Mart (Yes! They're here as well!)
So am planning to watch it tonight when I get home with some take-a-way's (McDonalds or fish'n chips or whatever the kids feel like!)

monsoontide
11-02-2005, 07:27 PM
Right...

I've uploaded the AT-ST Pilot model to PCgamemods (At last you can update your old files!!!) and made the team skins a bit less pastel!!! LOL

Also finished modeling the new Low-Poly version of the Generator Pylon last night... should look good once I UV map and texture the damn thing!!! And it's about 1/4 the number of poly's that the current version has and is a bit more movie acurate!
Thats the last Major thing to be done on the second map... Hope to have this map ready for testing by Sunday (Fingers crossed!)

Anyone able to assist me with converting a model into a vehicle???
I have one for the 3rd map that's just waiting to be done!

Lathain Valtiel
11-03-2005, 02:42 AM
*Chuckles at how everyone and his grandma mis-spells my screen name*

monsoontide
11-03-2005, 03:27 PM
http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/5062/generator6ol.th.jpg (http://img341.imageshack.us/my.php?image=generator6ol.jpg)

New Generator room with the new low-poly generator models.
I still have to finish the textures on them and do a "metallic" shader for the metal bits...
I also noticed that in the movie, they subtly "curve" the perspective on the tunnel so you can't see to the end of it.

Oh! Going to have a question about this room for after you've played the level... At the moment the generator room is simply for looks and the way out of the bunker up to the "main" outdoor area is via two separate tunnels.
I was thinking it might be more interesting if instead of having the (rather bland) tunnels, that the way to the outside part was via the gantries in the generator room?

Kurgan
11-03-2005, 04:08 PM
Hope my pc can handle it! ;)