PDA

View Full Version : most moving speech in a film?

Leper Messiah
11-29-2004, 02:34 PM
in my opinion is by the character of John Coffey in The Green Mile, played superbly by Micheal Clarke Duncan. Ill put the speech in here but i dont think itll do it justice, if you havnt seen the film i really do reccommend it

PAUL (played by Tom Hanks)
On the day of my judgement, when I stand before God, and He asks me why did I kill one of his true miracles, what am I gonna say? That is was my job?

COFFEY
You tell God the Father it was a kindness you done. (takes his hand) I know you hurtin' and worryin', I can feel it on you, but you oughtta quit on it now. Because I want it over and done. I do.

(Coffey hesitates trying to find the right words, trying to make Paul understand)

I'm tired, boss. Tired of bein' on the road, lonely as a sparrow in
the rain. Tired of never having me a buddy to be with, or tell me where we's coming from or going to, or why. Mostly I'm tired of people bein' ugly to each other.

I'm tired of all the pain I feel and hear in the world ever' day. There's too much of it. It's like pieces of glass in my head all the time. Can you understand?

so what for you is the most moving speech by a character in a movie and if anyone says the persidents speech in Independance Day i swear ill lynch 'em :D

El Sitherino
11-29-2004, 02:52 PM
"Shut the f**k up fat man, this ain't none of your god damn business!" - Jules, Pulp Fiction.

what? I couldn't stop laughing. The look on the fat dudes face was priceless.

Leper Messiah
11-29-2004, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by InsaneSith
"Shut the f**k up fat man, this ain't none of your god damn business!" - Jules, Pulp Fiction.

what? I couldn't stop laughing. The look on the fat dudes face was priceless.

MOVING SPEECH!!!!! damnit people!

Altus_Thrawn
11-29-2004, 03:05 PM
I'm not much of a movie person, the times like this when I'm marginally motivated to be one are far fewer than the times when the repetiveness of movies bores me.

The Lord of the Rings had some good bits though :)

Lady Jedi
11-29-2004, 03:15 PM
The Lord of the Rings had some good bits though
Yeah. I don't know if this is the most moving, but I sure like the one in the Fellowship when they are in the Mines of Moria and Gandalf is talking to Frodo... ...All we can do is decide what to do with the time that is given to us...
...or something to that effect. I like that part a lot. :)

And this one's not from a movie, but it's one of my all time favorite quotes ever...From the book Sabriel by Garth Nix:
Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker.
Good stuff. :D

El Sitherino
11-29-2004, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by Leper Messiah
MOVING SPEECH!!!!! damnit people! It made me move from all the laughing.

Kain
11-29-2004, 03:27 PM
I kinda liked the President's speech in Independance Day...

Altus_Thrawn
11-29-2004, 03:27 PM
Agreed Sabriel (And Lirael and Abhorsen for that matter) have quite their fair share of good lines. And rhymes.

Writer
11-29-2004, 04:05 PM
Aragorn's speech at the end of Return of the King, just before they start to fight all the guys that came through the gate.

Darth Groovy
11-29-2004, 04:17 PM
I would have to go with:

"And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger....." from Pulp Fiction.

Hell, just about ANYTHING from Pulp Fiction or Apocalypse Now!

El Sitherino
11-29-2004, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by Darth Groovy
I would have to go with:

"And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger....." from Pulp Fiction.

Hell, just about ANYTHING from Pulp Fiction or Apocalypse Now! :D excellent. And don't forget the foot massage debate and the tony rockyhara(sp?) thing. gah, I love that movie.

ckcsaber
11-29-2004, 05:30 PM
Fight Club -

Man, I see in fight club the strongest and smartest men who've ever lived. I see all this potential, and I see squandering. God damn it, an entire generation pumping gas, waiting tables; slaves with white collars. Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy **** we don't need. We're the middle children of history, man. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our Great War's a spiritual war... our Great Depression is our lives. We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars. But we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off.

And don't knock on the Independance Day speech. ****ty movie, but damn good speech.

Good morning. In less than an hour, aircraft from here will join others from around the world. And you will be launching the largest aerial battle in this history of mankind.

Mankind -- that word should have new meaning for all of us today.

We can't be consumed by our petty differences anymore.

We will be united in our common interests.

Perhaps its fate that today is the 4th of July; and you will once again be fighting for our freedom, not from tyranny, oppression, or persecution -- but from annihilation.

We're fighting for our right to live, to exist.

And should we win the day, the 4th of July will no longer be known as an American holiday, but as the day when the world declared in one voice:

"We will not go quietly into the night.

We will not vanish without a fight.

We're going to live on.

We're going to survive."

Today, we celebrate our Independence Day!

wassup
11-29-2004, 05:38 PM
I thought the President's speech in Armageddon was pretty rousing. Again, bad movie, good speech.

Lady Jedi
11-29-2004, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by Altus_Thrawn
Agreed Sabriel (And Lirael and Abhorsen for that matter) have quite their fair share of good lines. And rhymes.
It's true. I'm rereading the trilogy right now (I couldn't help myself. I was really pumped from finishing The Ragwitch) and I have to make myself not right down every single quotable quote. Because if I did, I'd hardly get any reading done. :D

And Independence Day is rather crummy. The speech is good, but delivered very badly by Bill Pullman. :xp:

--ZeeMan--
11-29-2004, 06:21 PM
Aragorn's speech from ROTK:
Hold your ground! Hold your ground.

Sons of Gondor, of Rohan, my brothers,

I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me.

A day may come when the courage of men fails,

when we forsake our friends

and break all bonds of fellowship,

but it is not this day.

An hour of wolves and shattered shields,

when the age of men comes crashing down,

but it is not this day.

This day we fight!

For all that you hold dear on this good Earth,

I bid you stand, Men of the West!!

William Wallace's from Braveheart:

"I am William Wallace. And I see a whole army of my countrymen,
here in defiance of tyranny! You have come to fight as free men. And
free man you are! What will you do without freedom? Will you fight?"
"Two thousand against ten?" - the veteran shouted. "No! We will
run - and live!"
"Yes!" Wallace shouted back. "Fight and you may die. Run and you
will live at least awhile. And dying in your bed many years from now,
would you be willing to trade all the days from this day to that for
one chance, just one cahnce, to come back here as young men and tell
our enemies that they may take our lives but they will never take
our freedom!"

ET Warrior
11-29-2004, 06:23 PM
The dialogue between frodo and samwise on the slopes of mount doom. The exact words of the entirety fail me, but Sam's final remark is what really gets me.

"Then let us be rid of it, once and for all. I can't carry it for you, but I CAN CARRY YOU!"

King Theoden's speech to the Riders of Rohan before their descent to Pelannor Fields is ALSO fantastic.

Troopr-Undr-Fir
11-29-2004, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by Kain
I kinda liked the President's speech in Independance Day...

Yeah that one has to be my favorite. You wouldn't expect Bill Pullman to pull off a good speech, but he did :D.

Mike Windu
11-29-2004, 06:29 PM
What.. the "Ride now.. ride for ruin... and the world's ending"?

Deaaaaaaath! Deaaaaaaath!:D

jon_hill987
11-30-2004, 03:49 AM
Originally posted by --ZeeMan--
Aragorn's speech from ROTK:
Hold your ground! Hold your ground.

Sons of Gondor, of Rohan, my brothers,

I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me.

A day may come when the courage of men fails,

when we forsake our friends

and break all bonds of fellowship,

but it is not this day.

An hour of wolves and shattered shields,

when the age of men comes crashing down,

but it is not this day.

This day we fight!

For all that you hold dear on this good Earth,

I bid you stand, Men of the West!!

I like that one

I just want to know why he says this bit

"May the Lord of the black land come forth, so that justice may be done oppon him"

in an Irish (N.Irlnd i think) accent? when the rest of his lines in the film wernt?

Curt-Man
11-30-2004, 04:06 AM
christopher walken's speech in pulp fiction, that was great.

but for real, i liked the speech in the patriot, i don't remember what it was, but it was good.

Samuel Dravis
11-30-2004, 05:44 AM
Originally posted by Altus_Thrawn
Agreed Sabriel (And Lirael and Abhorsen for that matter) have quite their fair share of good lines. And rhymes. Werd. :cool:

jokemaster
11-30-2004, 12:59 PM
The Independence Day speech was pretty good. But I've gotta say the pussies, dicks and *******s speech from Team America.

Troopr-Undr-Fir
11-30-2004, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by jokemaster
The Independence Day speech was pretty good. But I've gotta say the pussies, dicks and *******s speech from Team America.

Heh, yeah that one was great :lol:

Darth Groovy
11-30-2004, 07:44 PM
Originally posted by Chase Windu
I liked that one too though I've heard people say they thought it really sucked.

It DID really suck! I like Bill Pullman, but if you took all the FX out of that film, it is a complete pile of poo! :mad:

Mike Windu
11-30-2004, 08:14 PM
Hell, I heard Independence Day was quite good...

hehe.. Grooves using the word poo strikes me as funny... ^_^

Darth Groovy
11-30-2004, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by Mike Windu
Hell, I heard Independence Day was quite good...

hehe.. Grooves using the word poo strikes me as funny... ^_^

ID4 completely STOLE the entire story of War of the Worlds, dumped in some special fx, alot of bad one liners, and alot of actors. Oh and let us not forget this great moment:

"In the words of my generation, UP YOURS!"

OR:

"I'm baaaaaaaaaaack!"

And this one always kills me:

"Anybody got any missles left?"

Leper Messiah
12-01-2004, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by Darth Groovy
ID4 completely STOLE the entire story of War of the Worlds, dumped in some special fx, alot of bad one liners, and alot of actors.

youve almost certainly described Spielberg's upcoming version of The War Of The Worlds, KILL SPIELBERG THE BOOK BURNER

thank god for the book-faithful Pendragon version

stingerhs
12-01-2004, 04:21 AM
i'm not really sure what the best speech was in a movie. the independance day speech was good. the one speech that Dillon (played by Charles Dutton) gives in alien 3 to rally the other inmates is pretty good, and it touches on a couple of values as well. otherwise, i can't really think of anything else. :(

i guess i need to get out more often....:rolleyes:

Ragnos
12-01-2004, 04:36 AM
. But I've gotta say the pussies, dicks and *******s speech from Team America.

:lol: It gets my vote :D

toms
12-01-2004, 05:16 AM
the independence day speech was possibly the corniest, cheesiest speech in movie history.... i'm fairly sure Kain was kidding about that one... (as for the rest of you, i hope you guys were kidding too... :eek: :D )

Actually, it's hard to think of any "speeches" from movies that are good, as they all seem to be predictable and fairly rubbish. All the "war leader" ones seem based on Mel Gibson in braveheart (aragorn, king arthur, etc..)

so i'll go with a short one:

"On your feet Soldier!!" - Terminator

(or is uppose you could count the "no fate" bit from terminator 2 as a speech).

Rogue15
12-01-2004, 05:29 AM
this part in TTT chokes me up all the time...i dunno why.

lrond: "Arwen. Tollen i lű. I chair gwannar na Valannor. Si bado, no círar."
(Arwen. It is time.
The ships are leaving for Valinor. Go now... before it is too late.)

Arwen: "I've made my choice."

Elrond: "He is not coming back. Why do you linger when there is no hope?"

Arwen: "There is still hope."

Elrond: "If Aragorn survives this war, You will still be parted."

Elrond: "If Sauron is defeated, and Aragorn made king and all that you hoped for comes true...
you will still have to taste the bitterness of mortality."

[A shot of Arwen's face changes and we see Aragorn lying dead on his grave, Arwen standing next to him, crying.]

Elrond: "Whether by the sword or the slow decay of time, Aragorn will die. And there will be no comfort for you.
No comfort to ease the pain of his passing."

Elrond: "He will come to death. An image of the splendor of the kings of men in glory, undimmed before the breaking of the world.
But you, my daughter, you will linger on in darkness and in doubt. As night falling winter has come without a star."

[Arwen is walkig alone in empty woods, dressed in black]

Elrond: "Here you will dwell, bound to you grief, under the fading trees, until all the world has changed and the
long years of your life are utterly spent."

[The scene comes back to Rivendell and we see Arwen's face as tears fall from her eyes and she gasps.]

Elrond: "Arwen... there is nothing for you here, only death."

Leper Messiah
12-01-2004, 05:31 AM
Originally posted by Rogue15
this part in TTT chokes me up all the time...i dunno why.

not a fan myself, of any of the Arwen story in LOTR

ckcsaber
12-01-2004, 05:32 AM
Originally posted by Leper Messiah
not a fan myself, of any of the Arwen story in LOTR

Same here. I think her scenes really slowed the pacing of the movies down.

Leper Messiah
12-01-2004, 05:49 AM
Originally posted by ckcsaber

the whole character annoys me - book or film. her part in the movies was more annoying though cos in the story she simply soesnt have that big a role

stingerhs
12-01-2004, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by ckcsaber
i would yell "BLASPHEMY!!!!", but you are entitled to your own opinion.

removing arwen removes all the romance from the movies. sure it slows things down, but would you rather have a 1hr30min action flick or a +2hr epic???

--ZeeMan--
12-01-2004, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by stingerhs
i would yell "BLASPHEMY!!!!", but you are entitled to your own opinion.

removing arwen removes all the romance from the movies. sure it slows things down, but would you rather have a 1hr30min action flick or a +2hr epic???

i agree, her whole role in the movie was to provide that unviewable strength to aragorn. and it was the faith that they shared in each other that allowed the movie to superb

Rogue15
12-01-2004, 08:32 AM
geez, this thread sure went off topic. :rolleyes:

Master_Keralys
12-01-2004, 02:00 PM
Sons of Gondor, of Rohan, my brothers, I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me. A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends
and break all bonds of fellowship, but it is not this day.
An hour of wolves and shattered shields, when the age of men comes crashing down, but it is not this day. This day we fight!
For all that you hold dear on this good Earth, I bid you stand, Men of the West!!
-Aragorn, son of Arathorn

That, or Sam's speech at the end of the Two Towers. I can't recall it word for word at the moment, but the way it ends:
Frodo: "What are we holding on to, Sam?"
Sam: "That there's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And that it's worth fighting for!"

toms
12-02-2004, 06:31 AM
actually, sams speech at the end of two towers was pretty good... talking about heros in stories and so forth...

When aragorn was doing his big speech though i kept expecting him to shout "They may take out lives, but they'll never take our freedom!!!" :D

Frodo: I can't do this Sam.

Sam: I know. It's all wrong. By rights we shouldn't even be here. But we are.

It's like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger, they were. And sometimes you didn't want to know the end. Because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end, it's only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stayed with you. That meant something, even if you were too small to understand why. But I think, Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now.
Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn't. They kept going. Because they were holding on to something.

Frodo: What are we holding on to Sam?

Sam: That there's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo... and it's worth fighting for.

Doomie
12-02-2004, 06:45 AM
'He may take our pride, he may take our freedom, but he'll never take my God Damned 16 dollars and 12 cents! Now who's with me?' - Cartman.

I've seen better ofcourse, but I like this one anyway.

I'd go with Aragorn's speech, i haven't really seen much more.

Sam Fisher
12-02-2004, 07:04 AM
All the LotR speeches were the best.

But I especiually liked King Theodens' speech to the Riders of Rohan before they laid the sackdown on the Orc army :)

Gave me goosepimples.

Samuel Dravis
12-03-2004, 08:03 PM
I like the one from the intro to FS2:

"Thirty two years have passed since the Great War. The Shivans vanished half a lifetime ago, and now we live in the mausoleum of history. We inherit the legacy of the ghosts who haunt these ruins. The elders call us 'The Lost Generation'.

I remember stories of a glorious civilization. Of cities with spires that reached the sun. Of a blue planet, with vast seas. Of people with myths of humanity everlasting, of children who saw in the embers of dying stars the destiny of their race. And they hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear.

They say our people have no present - only a past filled with horror and a future they can only dream of. Now we forge a new alliance, to guard the tomb of space and find within its cold expanse the salvation of our race."

It's much more effective in the movie - the delivery is superb. It's actually one of the very few game movies that made me feel sad... it's slightly hard watching it 'cause I know what's going to happen to the guy piloting that Hercules. :(

jokemaster
12-04-2004, 04:33 AM
FreeSpace 2?

And adding to game speeches:
The ninja's death speech in MGS
Snake's final speech in MGS2
The final speech in MGS

Aw hell:
Any time a character speaks for more than 30 seconds in an MGS game

Samuel Dravis
12-04-2004, 05:07 AM
FreeSpace 2 Yup. Awesome game, btw. 'Editor's choice'/90+%/5 of 5/etc-type ratings by nearly everyone who reviewed it. :)