PDA

View Full Version : Who Was My Mother?


TK-8252
12-13-2004, 04:41 PM
A question that has been puzzling me:

Why wasn't Luke the slightest bit interested in knowing about his mother in ANH? All he asked Obi about was his father and it wasn't until he knew the truth about Anakin/Vader that he asked Leia about their mother.

Evil Dark Jedi
12-13-2004, 06:39 PM
I dont know. Maybe his mother wasnt as important to him since she was dead. And he was only concerned about his father because he is the Dark Lord and as we know Luke knew there was good in him. So he tried to turn him too the light side which he eventually did at the end of the ROTJ.

TK-8252
12-13-2004, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by Evil Dark Jedi
I dont know. Maybe his mother wasnt as important to him since she was dead. And he was only concerned about his father because he is the Dark Lord and as we know Luke knew there was good in him. So he tried to turn him too the light side which he eventually did at the end of the ROTJ.

I'm talking about ANH. Remember, Luke is talking with Obi (alive) about his father in the Clone Wars, his death, etc. He thought his father was dead by what Obi told him.

wassup
12-13-2004, 06:43 PM
Simple: George forgot to put it in the script.

Lynk Former
12-14-2004, 12:22 AM
Because it wasn't an issue at the time.

"What about my mother?"
"What about your mother?"
"You know, what did she do"
"She gave birth to you"
"Oh... aright then"

rut-wa jodar
12-14-2004, 12:31 AM
In ROTJ Luke asks Leia about their mother,even though he as no memory of her.

Lynk Former
12-14-2004, 12:34 AM
He's talking about why he doesn't ask in ANH, not RotJ.

Prime
12-14-2004, 07:43 AM
Perhaps he had already been given a satisfactory explanation of who his mother was and how she died. He thought his dad was a navigator on a spice freighter, but Kenobi contradicted that story so Luke inquired more. Since he wasn't given an alternate story for his mother, he had no need to bring it up.

Kurgan
12-14-2004, 08:26 AM
He should have just asked R2D2.

Leper Messiah
12-14-2004, 09:01 AM
or threepio for that matter, surely he could tell Luke a great deal about Anakin and Padme. something tells me Artoo and Threepio werent originally planned to figure in the prequels.....

Soromonu
12-14-2004, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by Prime
Perhaps he had already been given a satisfactory explanation of who his mother was and how she died.

yeah..I'd have to agree with Prime...Lucas needed to move the story along and he more than likely had to leave out some questions that Luke would have asked Ben during that scene.

Evil Dark Jedi
12-14-2004, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by TK-8252
I'm talking about ANH. Remember, Luke is talking with Obi (alive) about his father in the Clone Wars, his death, etc. He thought his father was dead by what Obi told him.

Yes I know I explained why what happened in ANH. I guess I didnt fit it in correctly.

rut-wa jodar
12-15-2004, 12:44 AM
Originally posted by Leper Messiah
or threepio for that matter, surely he could tell Luke a great deal about Anakin and Padme. something tells me Artoo and Threepio werent originally planned to figure in the prequels.....

you could always speculate that threepio and R2 had their memory banks altered after the clone wars to protect luke and leia from the empire. It would certainly explain a few things.

Lynk Former
12-15-2004, 01:04 AM
Yeah... thank the Maker indeed...

Leper Messiah
12-15-2004, 03:50 AM
indeed, Threepio dropping into a conversation one day that "The Maker" was the one and only Anakin Skywalker could raise a few eyebrows :D

Sivy
12-15-2004, 03:59 AM
i'm pretty sure that in Ep III we will see, or it will be suggested, that 3p0 and r2-d2 had their memories wiped in order to protect luke and leia.

El Sitherino
12-15-2004, 04:26 AM
Originally posted by Prime
Perhaps he had already been given a satisfactory explanation of who his mother was and how she died. He thought his dad was a navigator on a spice freighter, but Kenobi contradicted that story so Luke inquired more. Since he wasn't given an alternate story for his mother, he had no need to bring it up. Indeed. He probably only asked Leia because he wanted to know what kind of person his mother was.

TK-8252
12-15-2004, 11:13 AM
R2 and 3PO definantly had their memory erased before ANH. They didn't even remember what Tatooine is.

Evil Dark Jedi
12-16-2004, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by TK-8252
R2 and 3PO definantly had their memory erased before ANH. They didn't even remember what Tatooine is.


Yeah but who erased their memory?

If their memories werent erased 3PO would have told Luke right away.

Prime
12-17-2004, 06:12 AM
Originally posted by Evil Dark Jedi
If their memories werent erased 3PO would have told Luke right away. Not if he was told not to...

TK-8252
12-17-2004, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by Evil Dark Jedi
Yeah but who erased their memory?

We'll find out in Episode III. :)

Kurgan
12-17-2004, 12:19 PM
If not, we'll probably hear about it on the eventually DVD commentary (Lucas: "So uh, the reason is simple, they had their memories erased of those events between the two trilogies.")

Pho3nix
12-18-2004, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by TK-8252
R2 and 3PO definantly had their memory erased before ANH. They didn't even remember what Tatooine is.

I beg your pardon, but R2's memory was not erased, Padme belived that he could hold the secret. Atleast that's what i've heard.

Astrotoy7
12-28-2004, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by Sivy
i'm pretty sure that in Ep III we will see, or it will be suggested, that 3p0 and r2-d2 had their memories wiped in order to protect luke and leia.

OMG ! The Memory Wipe conundrum. This issue almost caused WWIII back in the day at TFN :P

I will put it succinctly, as to my take on the matter :D
*3PO definitely has had his mem wiped, as he can talk, and gets scared of things and this can jeopardise luke/leia. If poor 3po knew that his maker = Darth Vader he would indeed lose the plot :p

remember, in ANH
Threepio on Tatooine:
What a desolate place this is
*walks past krayt dragon skeleton, doesnt know what it is
*he does however, recognise Jawas, but this doesnt mean he hasnt seen them anywhere else, or know what they are ??

*He argues with R2 about the correct direction to go -
What makes you think there are settlements over there?
*But of course, R2 may have been programmed with directions to Kenobi by Leia when she gave him the message to carry :)

It really is up in the air, but I believe R2 and 3po have had their memories wiped. We will only find out in ep3 :)

mtfbwya

Furball
12-30-2004, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Lynk Former
Because it wasn't an issue at the time.

"What about my mother?"
"What about your mother?"
"You know, what did she do"
"She gave birth to you"
"Oh... aright then"

"Was it a difficult birth"
"Yes"
"Why"
"She turned to the darkside because of the anger in trying to get you out"

guybroom
01-04-2005, 12:12 PM
Could it be that the droids had their memories wiped to hide leia from vader if he ever captured them?

pnkparasite
01-04-2005, 01:10 PM
Good point. I think George knew he had to include Vader early so he didn't bother with the mother until it finally occured to him in ROTJ.:vadar:

guybroom
01-10-2005, 10:30 AM
just had a thought and someone might have already said it, but owen and beru had told luke a lie about his dad and obi-wan had told him that. Obi-wan had never said anything about them lying about his mother, so Luke assumed it was all true.

Then in ROTJ when he finds out about vader being his dad, he must have thought "hmmm.... mabey uncle owen and aunt beru lied about my mum too." and he asks leia.