PDA

View Full Version : Wtf?! No, No, No!

Mike Windu
01-17-2005, 05:54 PM
EA Nabs ESPN as 15-Year Exclusive
First the NFL, now the most recognized brand in sports media.

January 17, 2005 - With thundering force, Electronic Arts may have just swung the final punch to sports rival SEGA: the gaming giant just announced it has entered a 15-year exclusive licensing deal with ESPN.

Under the agreement, EA has exclusive video game rights to ESPN-branded print, telecast, and online content -- in addition to other ESPN media properties. The agreement covers all gaming platforms -- consoles, PC, handhelds, and wireless, and will begin in 2006, upon completion of ESPN's current licensing commitments.

The agreement most clearly affects Take Two and SEGA, which jointly publish a series of ESPN-licensed sports titles. The companies are still reeling from EA's announcement last month that it had acquired exclusive video game rights to NFL properties -- a direct challenge to SEGA's ESPN NFL franchise.

Obviously, the challenge is now doubled.

Electronic Arts explains the ESPN agreement as helping gamers: "This relationship was created to benefit consumers who are passionate about sports games," said EA CEO Larry Probst. "EA SPORTS recreates the real life experience fans enjoy while watching or playing their favorite sport; while ESPN programming captures the look, sound and excitement of the sports they follow. Together, we believe we can significantly grow the interactive sports category."

Until recently, EA's sports titles, such as the Madden NFL series, have faced vigorous competition from SEGA's ESPN Videogames brand, which saw success last year with a strong critical reception and prices cut in half.

We'll be back with more on the situation as soon as new details emerge.
-- David Adams

http://sports.ign.com/articles/580/580401p1.html

*shakes fist at EA*

Bastards, soon all sportswill be owned by EA. Is there no justice in the world of sports games? What the hell happened to friendly competition?

:mad:

TK-8252
01-17-2005, 05:57 PM
It's like a friggen empire. Pure evil I tell you! :(

Boba Rhett
01-17-2005, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by Mike Windu
What the hell happened to friendly competition?

I saw EA take him out back, beat him with a shovel and shoot him in the face. :(

ET Warrior
01-17-2005, 06:00 PM
That's it. EA has earned my complete and total boycott. I don't care HOW badly I want a game of theirs, I will NOT support them.

El Sitherino
01-17-2005, 06:01 PM
I don't play sports games, but this is ****. Just wait for the prices to go up.

the_raven_03
01-17-2005, 06:01 PM
WOW. I was already sorta boycotting EA but with this buying out their competition and not having to worry about any kind of run for their money makes me call for an all out boycott of EA products.

IG-64
01-17-2005, 06:04 PM
EA needs to stop, it's not helping anyone by taking over everything and claiming it for themselves.

But as long as they come out with better and better sports games still, then I won't complain. But if they only come out with corbon copies of the games they already have then I say boycott EA Sports.

KBell
01-17-2005, 06:46 PM
They do make one mighty fine football game :)

TK-8252
01-17-2005, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by KBell

Yeah, one. Then update its rosters every year and repackage it and sell it for $50 like a new game.

KBell
01-17-2005, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by TK-8252
Yeah, one. Then update its rosters every year and repackage it and sell it for $50 like a new game.

I can play Madden 04 and 05 and plainly see the difference between the two ;)

IG-64
01-17-2005, 06:58 PM
Madden 05 was a dissapointment because in maddens since 02 my bro and I have had our own full custom team. But now they took away an option to turn of some kinda salary cap so now theres not enough money to make a whole team.

KBell
01-17-2005, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by IG-64
Madden 05 was a dissapointment because in maddens since 02 my bro and I have had our own full custom team. But now they took away an option to turn of some kinda salary cap so now theres not enough money to make a whole team.

You can still do that.....just turn off salary cap in the franchise mode screen.

kipperthefrog
01-17-2005, 07:06 PM
I don't get it:confused:

Are you saying that EA bought copyright to sports games and now they don't get any competition in sports games? is THAT what they mean?

Samuel Dravis
01-17-2005, 07:12 PM
Gotta love 'em. :D

I don't play sports games, but a 15 year contract? What? That's insane.

TiE23
01-17-2005, 07:30 PM
*spits on John Riccitiello's face*

TiE

BongoBob
01-17-2005, 08:11 PM
This is pure BS on EA's part. I mean this is freakin rediculous. Now instead of getting a great game a t a discount price, we get Madden. For years. And Years. And Years.

I really freakin hate EA right now :mad:

El Sitherino
01-17-2005, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by kipperthefrog
I don't get it:confused:

Are you saying that EA bought copyright to sports games and now they don't get any competition in sports games? is THAT what they mean? pretty much. Now unless someone makes college football games, and nothing with an ESPN title, EA will be unchallenged in sporting games. Basically having a monopoly on the genre, infact I think that's what they're going for.

TiE23
01-17-2005, 08:53 PM
They've got the NFL and ESPN, all that is left is NCAA football.

TiE

El Sitherino
01-17-2005, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by TiE 23
They've got the NFL and ESPN, all that is left is NCAA football.

TiE oh and then arena football! and then baseball.

TiE23
01-17-2005, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by InsaneSith
oh and then arena football! and then baseball. ....and basketball, soccer/football, and others like Nascar. (not like we can't live without Nascar :p)

TiE

Sabretooth
01-18-2005, 01:11 AM
NOW competition gets owned. Literally.

I just hope all gamers get the message and boycott EA. Satyagraha always works!

Astrotoy7
01-18-2005, 01:43 AM
aw, but I couldnt live without mu EA NHL and FIFA Football !!!

bugger boycotting, just steal/pirate :D

JK :D

mtfbwya

GothiX
01-18-2005, 02:05 AM
Isn't illegaly obtaining also a form of boycotting?

BawBag™
01-18-2005, 04:00 AM
Originally posted by Astrotoy7
[B]FIFA Football !!!
Dangit Astro.

You know Pro Evo > FIFA.

Astrotoy7
01-18-2005, 05:02 AM
Originally posted by BawBag™
Dangit Astro.

You know Pro Evo > FIFA.

PFFT ! That explains your lack of skillz with the ladiez....women *only* want FIFA playin studs :p

mtfbwya

Sivy
01-18-2005, 05:04 AM
my brother works for EA so i get free games anyway :D

ckcsaber
01-18-2005, 05:52 AM
Yeah, this sickens me too.

btw, EA also has exclusive rights to the AFL as well, so competitors can't even put out an Arena Football game either.

Astrotoy7
01-18-2005, 06:04 AM
Originally posted by Sivy
my brother works for EA so i get free games anyway :D

BURN HIM ! :D

sivy, cmon, send your buddy astro NHL 2005 and Total Club Manager 2005 will ya ! c'mon !

mtfbwya

Sivy
01-18-2005, 06:26 AM
Originally posted by Astrotoy7
Total Club Manager 2005

you don't want TCM 2005, you want Football Manager 2005 (http://www.footballmanager.co.uk/base_content.html)
by far the best management game to date.
download the demo here (http://www.sigames.com/softography.php?type=view&id=16)

El Sitherino
01-18-2005, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by ckcsaber
EA also has exclusive rights to the AFL as well, so competitors can't even put out an Arena Football game either. WTF! so.... unless someone pulls out college football, they have a monopoly on the sport?

Sivy, is your brother one of the abused workers?

ckcsaber
01-18-2005, 08:27 AM
Yup.

link (http://www.gamespot.com/pc/sports/maddennfl2005/news_6116065.html)

College looks like the best bet for Sega now, although EA might make a grab for it too...

:(

El Sitherino
01-18-2005, 08:36 AM
That sucks. Yeah I bet EA will go into a dive for college football. Wonder how they'll get a deal made, because I'm not sure you can exactly buy out the NCAA.

It's odd I'm discussing this because I rarely ever play sports games.

Prime
01-18-2005, 09:39 AM
Electronic Arts explains the ESPN agreement as helping gamers: "This relationship was created to benefit consumers who are passionate about sports games," said EA CEO Larry Probst.

http://warpedproductions.echonetwork.net/threadpics/prime_notcompute.jpg

Kain
01-18-2005, 09:44 AM
Soooooooooo maaaaaaaaaaaaany WTFs.

Hurting.My.Brain.

narfblat
01-18-2005, 11:46 PM
I find it ironic that their football games are called "Madden." I hope ESPN realizes they made a mistake and find some loophole so they can stop this. In the meantime, Sega should make junior sports games, where most of your team doesn't do anything or gathers in one spot.

TiE23
01-19-2005, 03:10 PM
I won't be surprised if we see more of these kinds of stories.
This month: EA gets football
Next month: EA patents the video game, releases own console
Next year: Entire staff of EA is assasinated by spies hired by Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo.

TiE

Troopr-Undr-Fir
01-19-2005, 04:23 PM
They... could... go... all... the... WTF!?!?

I am a huge madden fan, but damn.

Oh well, as long as I don't see "EA" products besides video games being sold, I can deal with their enterprise.

But so help me, if I buy a jimmy cap with EA plastered on the side... The gloves are off. :mad:

Kain
01-19-2005, 04:25 PM
Aw damn. Teh EA r taking teh sp0rtz gamezz. that r teh lam3rezt thg i herd all dayz.

Then I remembered I could give a **** less about sports games and moved on.

KBell
01-19-2005, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by Kain
Aw damn. Teh EA r taking teh sp0rtz gamezz. that r teh lam3rezt thg i herd all dayz.

Well you obviously care about them somewhat.......you did post in every single one of these threads after all :o

Mike Windu
01-19-2005, 05:38 PM

Fiddlesticks. T3h Dahaka IS LAMZ0RZIN M3333 WTF PREENCE 0FF PERZIA + GOODSMA3CK???!!!!!!!!1111111

:)

Some of us do care, evidently because we enjoy ESPN NFL 2k series. Or better yet, we hate the fact that EA is pushing its might around and bullying other companies, preventing them from making the great games.

kthxdrive-thru1hourf0t0 :xp:

Kain
01-20-2005, 12:18 AM
Hey all I'm saying is these athletes get paid enough. I'll be ****ed over and dead before I put another cent in the bastard's pockets. Besides, the NFL sucks. The NBA sucks. NHL...s'alright.

And no, KBell, I don't care...at all...period. Its called stating an opinion. It tends to happen in an open forum.

And the Dahaka did suck.

toms
01-20-2005, 08:12 AM
They pu godsmack in POP???? :eek: *stabs self in ears*

It aint the games industry it used to be folks... EA owns almost everything (didnt the french government have to step in to stop them taking over ubisoft?) and there are will only be a few publishers with the monopoly on almost all games...

meaning nothing original will ever get released because sequels, established brands and move tie-ins have less risk associated with them.

Its already worse than hollywood (which is bad enough). At least there are still some independent movies that are getting made...

If you are upset you should email ESPN and ask them how this benefits sports fans... at the very least you might make them feel bad. :D

lukeiamyourdad
01-20-2005, 10:02 AM
People should care. It isn't about sports games only, it's the threat of an EA monopoly. There are anti-monopoly laws in existence but there is nothing that stops a company from going bankrupt leaving EA the only gaming company.

The problem? Gamers will be forced to buy EA games, whether they're good or not and at the price EA decides it will be.

Kain
01-20-2005, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by lukeiamyourdad
People should care. It isn't about sports games only, it's the threat of an EA monopoly. There are anti-monopoly laws in existence but there is nothing that stops a company from going bankrupt leaving EA the only gaming company.

The problem? Gamers will be forced to buy EA games, whether they're good or not and at the price EA decides it will be.

Dammit. That makes too much sense. I blame the testosterone driven idiot men of the country who go 'MADDEN MADDEN MADDEN *drool* ITS MADDEN!!!!'

Troopr-Undr-Fir
01-20-2005, 01:11 PM
Dammit. That makes too much sense. I blame the testosterone driven idiot men of the country who go 'MADDEN MADDEN MADDEN *drool* ITS MADDEN!!!!'

Whoa, thanks for reminding me, I've been needing to clean that up :D

Sports = life

Darth Groovy
01-20-2005, 01:29 PM

They make the best NHL games too, bar none.

Cry all you want, there is no denying the quality here! ;)

MTV2
01-21-2005, 06:58 AM
EA is the best, all you guys are just....jealous....thats right...

TK-8252
01-21-2005, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by MTV2
EA is the best, all you guys are just....jealous....thats right...

http://lucasforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=141257

El Sitherino
01-21-2005, 01:01 PM
EA is the best, all you guys are just....jealous....thats right... And you're young and naive.

MTV2
01-21-2005, 02:22 PM
And you're young and naive.

What!? no!

and TK, that means nothing to me

all i know is that EA is better then everyone else and the media is trying to spoil that:mad:

TK-8252
01-21-2005, 02:28 PM

Yes it does.

all i know is that EA is better then everyone else and the media is trying to spoil that:mad:

Um, no.

Refer to InsaneSith's post.

MTV2
01-21-2005, 02:46 PM
no it doesn't

Ea is the best

TK-8252
01-21-2005, 02:50 PM
Refer to InsaneSith's post.

El Sitherino
01-21-2005, 03:15 PM
What!? no!

all i know is that EA is better then everyone else and the media is trying to spoil that:mad: Okay, you get a job, I'll be your boss. I abuse you ruin your life. You end up a wreck.

And no EA is not better than everyone else, infact the only real progress they have is sports games. And even those are very ripped off. They overcharge for a "new" game that's far from different from the old game.

I suggest you stop being so naive and look at the world realistically.

I don't care if you continue to buy EA games, but you should realize they are not the best, noone is trying to bring them down, and what they are doing to their employees and the deals they are making are wrong and they will only hurt the customer in the end. What EA is doing is taking advantage of your obvious naiveté.

IG-64
01-21-2005, 03:28 PM
naiveté

Oo, he used a special character, he smart. :p

I don't think EA is the bane of evil, I like alot of their games, like The Sims, and the Return of the King game. But I do think this is a mistake on their part by eliminating all other sides of the spectrum but themselves. I'm certainly not boycotting EA myself, unless they just don't come out with any games I feel like buying.

El Sitherino
01-21-2005, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by IG-64
Oo, he used a special character, he smart. :p
Well I can't go letting him pronounce the word wrong, can I?

That said I like the sims and the sims 2, but that's about it. I liked the LOTR games, but they aren't something I can find myself playing for very long. EA is mainly a sports game dominator. And now they assured that they would be the majority seller of sports games. This is wrong, and definitely Illegal. Anti-Trust laws are there for a reason. They have a monopoly on the NFL franchise for video games, this should not be allowed.

KBell
01-21-2005, 03:57 PM

the only real progress they have is sports games. And even those are very ripped off. They overcharge for a "new" game that's far from different from the old game.

Again, i can play Madden 04 and 05 and easily spot the new features. So unless you've played the game, you shouldn't say anything about it ;)

El Sitherino
01-21-2005, 04:33 PM
Again, i can play Madden 04 and 05 and easily spot the new features. So unless you've played the game, you shouldn't say anything about it ;) And I have played. I see no real advances in gameplay.

KBell
01-21-2005, 04:41 PM
And I have played. I see no real advances in gameplay.

I can tell you the secondary's AI is alot more advanced, as bump and run coverage is actually initiated by the AI in blitz packages now.

Double teams are now played on a teams #1 reciever, usually with the safety. If the AI team has a slow safety they run the nickle package and pair him up with a faster corner.

Blitzes are now picked up by the lineman, sometimes quite frequently off of the weak side.

Did you notice those, or should I keep going? :p

El Sitherino
01-21-2005, 04:46 PM
Minor details do not equate to advances. They equate to patchwork. Release patches, or have an update pack for 10 bucks. I shouldn't have to spend 50 dollars on the same game but now they just have a bit of work on the AI.

Rogue Nine
01-21-2005, 04:58 PM
I actually have to agree with KBell on this one. Each year, Madden does get better. They don't just update rosters, they make the whole thing better. Does that excuse them from slapping a $50 price tag on it? Hellz no. But it is a better game, year in and year out.

El Sitherino
01-21-2005, 05:00 PM
I agree 05 madden is more fun than the 04 one, but they're far from being complete advances from eachother, and as you said there is no justification for the 50 dollar price tag.

ET Warrior
01-21-2005, 05:20 PM
And with no competition to force them to improve gameplay, the advances that they would have been forced to make out of necessity will be lost, and we'll get another game with updated rosters and tweaks here and there.

If they make the next madden for the Xbox 2 then there will also be an update in the graphics.

EA games is evil. Pure, concentrated evil. I hope their company gets caught in a rotten scandal and is shut down. Permanently.

KBell
01-21-2005, 05:26 PM
I agree 05 madden is more fun than the 04 one, but they're far from being complete advances from eachother, and as you said there is no justification for the 50 dollar price tag.

AI additions not enough? They did add EA Radio, team newspapers, Team moral, player moral, Team initiated trades, and a much more balanced salary cap system.

The advances and additions definetly equate to a $50 price tag. No one was jipped.

EDIT- oh, and not to mention XBox Live capabilities. That alone is worth the $50.

El Sitherino
01-21-2005, 05:32 PM
Hardly, online play is now a standard. If you want to stay alive in this kind of business they have to add online play capability. So no, xbox live play does not equate to justifiying the 50 dollar tag.

and no, the stuff you mentioned doesn't justify a 50 dollar tag. I could say 30, because a lot of those are nice gimmicks.

KBell
01-21-2005, 05:37 PM
So what would equate a $50 price tag? You certainly aren't conviced on the added defensive AI, hitstick, improved franchise mode, improved visuals, online play, and updated rosters.

Could they have done anything else?

El Sitherino
01-21-2005, 05:42 PM
Better gameplay. By that I mean MUCH better.

TK-8252
01-21-2005, 05:43 PM
Could they have done anything else?

They could have lowered the price.

ET Warrior
01-21-2005, 06:00 PM
They could have lowered the price.

WINNAR!

Seriously, I guess they just couldn't take the heat of Sega releasing a game that was getting close to (and in many respects beating) their quality, and they did it for 30 bucks less.

If sega had another year to produce the ESPN series of sports games, I think they could have easily done as well / better than EA.

KBell
01-21-2005, 06:15 PM
Better gameplay. By that I mean MUCH better.

And yet Madden managed to beat out all of it's competitors.

How did they do this, i wonder :eek:

(*ahem* before they bought out ESPN <_<)

ET Warrior
01-21-2005, 07:19 PM
1.) One of the first on the market that took advantage of new consoles

2.) Company that has money to invest in development

3.) Supportive fanbase established well before Sega brought ESPN franshice around

4.) Every year the amount they outsold Sega went down by a large margin

5.) Seeya

El Sitherino
01-21-2005, 07:19 PM
Madden has a larger fanbase and the games have been around for a very long time. People know what they're getting. ESPN has yet to develope the same kind of fanbase and knowledge.

acdcfanbill
01-23-2005, 10:13 PM
well it will be easy for them to be the best when no one else is making a similar game :)