PDA

View Full Version : Queer Eye for the Sponge Guy


wassup
01-20-2005, 09:21 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4190699.stm

:dozey:

Now that John Kerry has been taken out of the picture, it seems the "righteous" conservatives have set their crosshairs on more, shall we say, square targets.

ET Warrior
01-20-2005, 09:41 PM
wow. Just.....wow.

IG-64
01-20-2005, 09:59 PM
I never thought spongebob looked gay. I kinda wondered about the eyelashes thing... thats kinda weird... But I never thought he was gay...

Shok_Tinoktin
01-20-2005, 10:05 PM
WAFF spokesman Mark Barondeso told the newspaper that anyone who thought the video promoted homosexuality "needs to visit their doctor and get their medication increased".

I think this says it all.

Hermie
01-20-2005, 10:08 PM
how.....but.......I mean........huh..........what?!



[edit]*finds it best to run away before Mike Windu finds this thread*

Rogue15
01-20-2005, 10:22 PM
o please. i don't really like spongebob.....but....come on.....that is so...true......


now, lets all hold hands and sing some nursery rhymes.














note: i am just being sarcastic

IG-64
01-20-2005, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by Herminator
how.....but.......I mean........huh..........what?!



[edit]*finds it best to run away before Mike Windu finds this thread*

Nah, he'll probably just think it's dumb.

Rogue15
01-20-2005, 10:40 PM
yeah the kids are all gettin brainwashed....XD more like..reprogrammed. who really givesadamn tho. i for one don't care,

but....
I know 2 homosexual people IRL and i personally find them to be very weird...when i first saw them [one is a gay and the other is a lesbian] i couldn't determine what gender they were...i mean come on, how can that not be weird...? does me finding them to be weird make me homophobic? cause...i still treat them like i treat any other human being...except thinking differently about them...

jon_hill987
01-20-2005, 11:26 PM
Eh? What? I mean I knew Tinky winky was gay, but spongebob?

El Sitherino
01-20-2005, 11:33 PM
Oh for ****s sake.


"We see the video as an insidious means by which the organisation is manipulating and potentially brainwashing kids," Paul Batura, a spokesman for Focus on the Family
yes, unlike your fine organisation. :dozey:

jon_hill987
01-20-2005, 11:51 PM
There are two problems with their argument.

1: Most of the kids watching spongebob are too young to understand/see any gay reference in the cartoon.

2: and this is the biggy, I don't think a cartoon can atually turn you gay. It might make you more tolerant of homosexuals, and more likely to come out if you are gay but it aint gonna make you gay.

swphreak
01-21-2005, 05:38 AM
"Square... the shape of evil homosexuality!" - Plankton

Yeah I watched a few episodes with my little cousin. I guess we're gay now?

MTV2
01-21-2005, 06:55 AM
i saw that on the news.....
hmmmm.....

TK-8252
01-21-2005, 07:55 AM
Even if it were some sort of pro-gay propaganda (which it's not), what the hell is wrong with promoting tolerance? It's actually not a bad idea. There'd be less violence towards homosexuals in schools. I suppose these conservatives promote bullying and the regular beatings of gays in schools? :roleyess:

Revan Solo
01-21-2005, 08:11 AM
In my country gay people can marrie and found their own family!

Rogue15
01-21-2005, 09:10 AM
heh its not really a family if they can't have kids. man....that would totally suck to be a kid with gay parents...=\

ET Warrior
01-21-2005, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by Rogue15
man....that would totally suck to be a kid with gay parents...=\

Yeah! I'd totally rather have two straight parents who fight all the time and eventually get divorced so I can have a single mother who has to work to jobs just to feed me!



Not that that is what happens in all straight relationships, but wouldn't it be better to have two loving fathers / mothers than parents that hate each other / only one parent who cannot support you?

Rogue15
01-21-2005, 09:24 AM
wha? you make it seem like gays don't fight w/eachother....

Acrylic
01-21-2005, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Rogue15
man....that would totally suck to be a kid with gay parents...=\

Totally.

Originally posted by ET Warrior
Yeah! I'd totally rather have two straight parents who fight all the time and eventually get divorced so I can have a single mother who has to work to jobs just to feed me!



Not that that is what happens in all straight relationships, but wouldn't it be better to have two loving fathers / mothers than parents that hate each other / only one parent who cannot support you?

I fail to see your point here. I have a mother who loves me and supports me, and I have a father who loves me and supports me. They have been married for 20 years now.

Kain
01-21-2005, 11:45 AM
:rofl:

HA!! I seriously hate religious zealots.

Hermie
01-21-2005, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Acrylic
Totally.



I fail to see your point here. I have a mother who loves me and supports me, and I have a father who loves me and supports me. They have been married for 20 years now.
He means its better to have two gay parents that love eachother and you than strait parents that hate eachothers guts.

El Sitherino
01-21-2005, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by Rogue15
heh its not really a family if they can't have kids.

not really, because they can have a kid.
Artificial Insemination or adoption.

Originally posted by Rogue15
man....that would totally suck to be a kid with gay parents...=\ Not really.


This is alot like those people that blame violence on video games and tv shows.

ZBomber
01-21-2005, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by InsaneSith

This is alot like those people that blame violence on video games and tv shows.

Except to a greater degree. :|

El Sitherino
01-21-2005, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by ZBomber
Except to a greater degree. :| actually I think murder and other acts of violence are a greater concern than being a fag. ;)

GothiX
01-21-2005, 02:27 PM
Classmate of mine has homosexual parents. They love eachother, he loves them, and they're happy.

acdcfanbill
01-21-2005, 02:48 PM
with all these people on moral crusades, its a wonder more ppl dont commit suicide...

IG-64
01-21-2005, 02:57 PM
Well, it all comes down to whether or not you believe you can be born homosexual. People say you are born with homosexuality as a sexual preference, much like someone who never marries. But, a lot of people also have a sexual preference to be with say... kids. But that's not really celebrated so...

It's almost as if homosexuality is something they're just getting away with. To most people, it's not genetic, because according to evolution they can't reproduce therefore they would be mutants. And Christianity, homosexuality is simply a sin. God used to punish sinners back in the Old Testament days, and that included the sin of homosexuality. The whole God liking or punishing homosexuals is irrelevant, because we believe no one can be truly born a homosexual in the first place, unless it's a genetic disease or something, which.. doesn't happen much..

Well, that's my view on things. Butcher it as you may.

El Sitherino
01-21-2005, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by IG-64
Well, it all comes down to whether or not you believe you can be born homosexual. People say you are born with homosexuality as a sexual preference, much like someone who never marries.

this has what to do with the issue that these people speak complete crap?

Originally posted by IG-64
But, a lot of people also have a sexual preference to be with say... kids. But that's not really celebrated so...

Ah, the pedophile card. Let's see.... Homosexuality is between two consenting adults. Pedophilia is between a non-consenting party, or a person who is not capable of rational thought, and thus cannot legally consent.

Originally posted by IG-64
It's almost as if homosexuality is something they're just getting away with.

You wreak of bigotry and ignorance with this statement.

Originally posted by IG-64
To most people, it's not genetic, because according to evolution they can't reproduce therefore they would be mutants.

Wrong, it makes a lot of sense in evolution. What the gays are is a roadblock to prevent overpopulation, which causes losses of resources and food, thus creating lots of hunger and even wiping out the species.

Originally posted by IG-64
And Christianity, homosexuality is simply a sin. God used to punish sinners back in the Old Testament days, and that included the sin of homosexuality.

But christianity is following the path of Christ, he did nothing but let others be happy, he gave the sinners choices and let them choose what they wish. Why can't the so called "Moral Majority"? Perhaps they're just insecure about themselves and take their insecurity and even jealousy out on these people.

Originally posted by IG-64
The whole God liking or punishing homosexuals is irrelevant
I agree, let's stay away from that.

Originally posted by IG-64
Well, that's my view on things. Butcher it as you may.
k.

Squee-sithguy
01-21-2005, 03:30 PM
Who cares if hes gay or not, its a freaken cartoon! Get a life! :P

IG-64
01-21-2005, 03:38 PM
One more note on the fact that I think the whole "spongebob is gay"/"gay propoganda brainwash" thing is crap. I'm religious, but i'm not a fanatic.

tk102
01-21-2005, 03:56 PM
It's sad that groups such as this can't focus more on reducing violence and sex on television. You don't realize just how much of it is on all the time until you have a child of your own.

ZBomber
01-21-2005, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by InsaneSith
actually I think murder and other acts of violence are a greater concern than being a fag. ;)

Yeh, I know that. I mean the exageration of things to group them with the public's idea of "sins".

Mike Windu
01-21-2005, 04:20 PM
"If I had a dollar for every brain you don't have, I'd have one dollar!"

http://img135.exs.cx/img135/7126/agoofy6wv.jpg




:p

IG-64
01-21-2005, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by tk102
It's sad that groups such as this can't focus more on reducing violence and sex on television. You don't realize just how much of it is on all the time until you have a child of your own.

I heartily agree. Less sex, violence, cursing, and grit on TV and all would be better in the world.

El Sitherino
01-21-2005, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by tk102
It's sad that groups such as this can't focus more on reducing violence and sex on television. You don't realize just how much of it is on all the time until you have a child of your own. Most of that stuff is just in prime time shows. Why would you let a child watch prime time shows? Not to mention they all suck anyway, so I don't see why anyone would watch them in the first place. What we need to do though is get rid of the pointless sex and violence that are thrown in gratuitiously.

Getting rid of that stuff on TV won't change the world at all. It'll just mean we'll have more people thinking of actual ways to get ratings than to just throw in sex and violence.

What the hell is grit? Isn't that the stuff that gets stuck up on the underside of the toilet? "grit and grime, use oxy-clean"

Rogue15
01-21-2005, 07:42 PM
lmao@sith ripping ig-64's post apart. the second i read ig-64's post.....i just.....predicted it was gonna happen.


XD

Jed
01-21-2005, 10:19 PM
http://jed.echonetwork.net/funny/hatesthisEXPLETIVE.jpg

El Sitherino
01-21-2005, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by Jed
http://jed.echonetwork.net/funny/hatesthissht.jpg Jed for the ****ing win.

Rogue15
01-21-2005, 11:03 PM
as a SUPER moderator, you just set a bad example by bypassing the censor, which is violating the TOS. you deserve to be demoted.

El Sitherino
01-21-2005, 11:24 PM
Who cares, it's funny.


Vote of hands, who finds it funny and who finds it so horribly offensive that they feel they are going to break their computer?

Like I thought. Noone cares.

CapNColostomy
01-21-2005, 11:25 PM
Two words.

Boo, and hoo.

Redwing
01-21-2005, 11:33 PM
O_O

My remaining respect for Focus on the Family is draining rapidly.

Although seriously, that's hilarious. :D

Rogue15
01-21-2005, 11:34 PM
Originally posted by InsaneSith
Who cares, it's funny.


Vote of hands, who finds it funny and who finds it so horribly offensive that they feel they are going to break their computer?

Like I thought. Noone cares.


yeah let's promote censor bypass. now, if i would post somehting like that, everybody would jump in line to anal rape me. :mad:

CapNColostomy
01-21-2005, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by Rogue15
yeah let's promote censor bypass. now, if i would post somehting like that, everybody would jump in line to anal rape me. :mad:

I...was told there was already a line for that?

El Sitherino
01-21-2005, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by Redwing
My remaining respect for Focus on the Family is draining rapidly.
You had respect for that indoctrinating group? wow.


Originally posted by Rogue15
yeah let's promote censor bypass. now, if i would post somehting like that, everybody would jump in line to anal rape me. :mad:
No, I let things slide if they're funny. And that was funny. Plus it wasn't bypassing anything, it's an image.

Rogue15
01-21-2005, 11:41 PM
well then somebody better shoot out my kneecaps and get in front of me if you know what i mean.

Rogue15
01-21-2005, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by InsaneSith


No, I let things slide if they're funny. And that was funny. Plus it wasn't bypassing anything, it's an image.

so **** isn't censored?

edit: ok i'll go against the tos....S-H-I-T is censored....yeah i guess i need to go to bed....i'm being too bitchy right now. *takes a valium and a bottle of nyquil*

IG-64
01-21-2005, 11:44 PM
Hey Rouge, I thought you were a mod... Oh, wait... :xp:

Rogue15
01-21-2005, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by IG-64
Hey Rouge, I thought you were a mod... Oh, wait... :xp:

dork. :p like i said above, i am being bitchy cause i'm tired so goodnight and see you all tomorrow...

El Sitherino
01-21-2005, 11:54 PM
It is, but the images don't have a censor, so thus nothing was bypassed.

IG-64
01-21-2005, 11:58 PM
Once upon a time there was a funny pictures thread where certain pictures were deleted.


Anyways, weee!! *basks in off-topicness*

El Sitherino
01-22-2005, 12:04 AM
Anyway, spongebob makes you gay, omglolz ;)

Redwing
01-22-2005, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by InsaneSith
You had respect for that indoctrinating group? wow.

Not everything about them is bad, just mostly their homophobia and certain fundamentalist traits and beliefs (like Harry Potter paranoia, etc.) In other words, everything you know about them :) Shame, I'd say.

tk102
01-22-2005, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by InsaneSith
Getting rid of that stuff on TV won't change the world at all. It'll just mean we'll have more people thinking of actual ways to get ratings than to just throw in sex and violence. And you don't think that would change anything hmm? The media is the single most powerful shaper of culture in existence. By focusing on the negative acts in the world, the negative acts become perceived as the "norm" or in statistics, the mean.

Sticking with that, imagine the behavior of the population being distributed on a histogram. On one end you have the saintly people of the world and on the other end you have the deviants and sociopaths. Most people fall in the middle. The true mean. But if television and other media spend their time focused on the deviant end of the graph, over time the youth of the population gets a skewed vision of what is culturally the norm, behave accordingly, and thereby skew the behavior towards the deviant. What was once shocking (say 3 standard deviations) is now just mildly offensive (1 standard deviaton). So media reaches lower depths. And the cycle continues...

GothiX
01-22-2005, 10:49 AM
If you want to start on 'cleaning the TV', you should start by outlawing news reports. :rolleyes:

tk102
01-22-2005, 10:52 AM
It's not news per se but it's what the media considers newsworthy that needs to change.

And don't get me wrong, I'm not keen on governmental mandates on this sort of thing. Ideally news shouldn't be driven by ratings at all. In television's infancy, news was always considered special in that it was okay if it didn't turn a profit. I think it was the president of CBS who announced in the early 60s, "I have some good news and some bad news: The good news is that our news broadcasts finally turned profit. The bad news is that our news broadcasts finally turned a profit."

Leper Messiah
01-22-2005, 11:23 AM
In this country we repealed the law banning the promotion of homosexuality in schools (except in Kent, but the county council there is run by idiots) in fact I believe Britain is holding some sort of themed month (including in its schools) to raise awareness of homosexuality as a proud and important part of our society (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/4194247.stm), any politician who made comments like Focus On The Family in this country would be handing in their resignation shortly afterwards. Notice in the above linked article our opposition was able to get away only with a skeleton argument against the plan.

There was a brilliant comment today about racism from Darcus Howe relating to a football pundit who was caught out making racist comments (again). Howe said "He's a traditional racist, which means you don't mind black people as long as they know their place" and the same applies to Focus On The Family - theyre traditional bigots, they have it set in their mind what place gay people should have, and its a pretty low one. and they wheel out their poison for anyone who'll listen any time gay people step outside it, and promoting their way of life even in a small way is a big step to these idiots. The truth is gay people are more use to society than they'll ever be

swphreak
01-22-2005, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by Rogue15
yeah let's promote censor bypass. now, if i would post somehting like that, everybody would jump in line to anal rape me. :mad:

Let's see. You swore in every other post you made. Jed hardly swears at all in his posts.

*weighs each on balance*

Get the picture?


I like how that guy calls the group homophobic idiots and "nutters."

Rogue15
01-22-2005, 12:59 PM
do i bypass the censor to swear? no.

I wasn't arguing about the swearing, just the way the censor was bypassed. swearing just comes naturally to me. maybe 5 years ago i wasn't as bad w/my swearing. (ask redwing lol) I dont mean to offend. and i don't do the name calling....

swphreak
01-22-2005, 01:23 PM
I shoulda clarified, I meant that guy in the article.

You should re-read your posts then ;)

El Sitherino
01-22-2005, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by tk102
And you don't think that would change anything hmm? The media is the single most powerful shaper of culture in existence. By focusing on the negative acts in the world, the negative acts become perceived as the "norm" or in statistics, the mean.
True, but you have to think, "cleaning" up tv requires a standard set of morals, I fear about who will decide these morals. What if we end up going 50 years back with our exposure to the world. We'd have literally none. A lot of Japanese TV has more "questionable" content than most American television, and I have yet to hear how they're having some sort of "moral decay". Just mind what your kids watch. The problem is people are getting lazy. That's where reality television came in, people were too lazy to right a full script so they wrote an outline gave it to crappy level actors and told them to pretend it's all real.
I don't find moderate swearing bad at all, just teach your kids saying these things around other people isn't accepted. Violence has always been around, no use sheltering people thinking it never happens, but they should dilute it some as it seems to be the main theme in a majority of entertainment. Sex, that's a touchy topic because what some find too much sex, others find it as a "meh" level. It's all because people were raised with different "taboos".

But mainly I say filter out the reality show crap and bring back some good ole' fashion scripted telly.

TK-8252
01-22-2005, 10:16 PM
Oh yeah... remember the SpongeBob episode where SpongeBob goes to the high school prom with Mr. Krabs' daughter, Pearl? Yup, Mr. SquarePants goes out with a girl! Ha. Damn homophobes.

Redwing
01-22-2005, 10:24 PM
You totally know he just went out with her for show.

:D

Leper Messiah
01-23-2005, 03:13 AM
Originally posted by TK-8252
Oh yeah... remember the SpongeBob episode where SpongeBob goes to the high school prom with Mr. Krabs' daughter, Pearl? Yup, Mr. SquarePants goes out with a girl! Ha. Damn homophobes.

He went out with a girl with the surname Krabs??? well thats it, Focus On The Family will simply say the show makes inappropriate remarks about STDs, it would make more sense than their arguments so far :D

Mike Windu
01-23-2005, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by Redwing
You totally know he just went out with her for show.

:D



I think he was legitimately into her! :p

Jo
01-23-2005, 05:18 PM
If it got that stupid cartoon off the air..cool:D..and i do think he is gay, though i dont think it was producers intentions.

Originally posted by jon_hill987
There are two problems with their argument.

1: Most of the kids watching spongebob are too young to understand/see any gay reference in the cartoon.


HAHAHAH...over half the girls in my sophmore class in high school idolize spongbob, ironically, it would have to be some of the hottest ones too..


life sucks at times..

Mike Windu
01-23-2005, 06:39 PM
The show = awesome.

<--- Spongebob fanatic with benefits :D

Chicks dig guys who like Spongebob. Period.

Redwing
01-24-2005, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by Mike Windu
The show = awesome.

<--- Spongebob fanatic with benefits :D

Chicks dig guys who like Spongebob. Period.

So not only is Spongebob promoting homosexuality, it's promoting underage sex as well? :D

Rogue Nine
01-24-2005, 11:37 AM
Personally, I hate Spongebob, but I hate radical Christian thinking a bit more.

Mike Windu
01-24-2005, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by Redwing
So not only is Spongebob promoting homosexuality, it's promoting underage sex as well? :D


Lies.




Move along, move along. These aren't the benefits you're thinking of. >_>