PDA

View Full Version : Man Dies Imitating Gollum!!


CaptainRAVE
01-27-2005, 11:54 PM
A friend of Brighton, UK resident Julian Brooker recently told an inquest that the man died because he was was imitating Gollum from Lord of the Rings. Brooker went to the London Road station at 4am on Oct. 23, 2004 to play "The Gollum Game."


Eva Natasha recalls, “He touched a rail and pretended to be electrocuted. I didn’t find it funny, but assumed he knew what he was doing. Then he touched the live rail once. He wouldn’t have touched it if he had known it was live.”


The rail that Brooker touched had 750 volts of electricity. His friends called 999 but he was already dead on the scene when help arrived. The coroner says Brooker was obsessed with the number 23 and drank on the 23rd of every month.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2005041560,00.html

CapNColostomy
01-28-2005, 12:27 AM
What does this have to do with Gollum exactley? Is there an EE I've not seen where Gollum electricutes himself on "rails"? Weird stuff anyway.

Sam
01-28-2005, 01:48 AM
999? Is that a UK thing?

lassev
01-28-2005, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by CapNColostomy
What does this have to do with Gollum exactley? Is there an EE I've not seen where Gollum electricutes himself on "rails"? Weird stuff anyway.

You gotta click the link and read the whole article.

But in the end this chap is just an other fool deserving a Darwin Award...

CapNColostomy
01-28-2005, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by lassev
You gotta click the link and read the whole article.


You don't say...

Yeah. I tried that. I don't get it.

jon_hill987
01-28-2005, 02:16 AM
That is really sad, I to fail to see how it was conected with LOTR.

Originally posted by Sam
999? Is that a UK thing?

Yes, and it makes sence, all of the buttons are in the sme place, you can dial it quicker than 911.

GothiX
01-28-2005, 02:20 AM
112 > 999

IG-64
01-28-2005, 02:57 AM
I think i's fun to act like characters you like when you're bored.... to an extent...


But I guess he thought it's also fun to do dangerous things when you're bored.

His mistake.

ET Warrior
01-28-2005, 09:45 AM
Originally posted by jon_hill987
Yes, and it makes sence, all of the buttons are in the sme place, you can dial it quicker than 911.

Yes, because that 1/10000 of a second it takes to move your thumb from 9 to 1 is imperative :dozey:

El Sitherino
01-28-2005, 10:09 AM
Well in moments of panic people get rather stupid. So you usually get people remembering only certain numbers, often times 9 because it's the first one.

Kain
01-28-2005, 11:03 AM
Something you'd expect a redneck from tornado alley to do.

Darth333
01-28-2005, 12:29 PM
With the woman who tried to made a handstand on her balcony last week, and now this, it looks like 2005 will be a prolific year for the Darwin Awards...

TiE23
01-28-2005, 12:30 PM
The coroner says Brooker was obsessed with the number 23 and drank on the 23rd of every month.
:indif:

"Note to self, stay away from rails."

TiE

•-BLaCKouT-•
01-28-2005, 12:46 PM
Fantasic story, read it yesterday at work! :thumbsup:
He wouldn’t have touched it if he had known it was live.
What the hell did he think it was for, decoration? :xp:
At the end of the platforms in the UK*, there are signs saying "Danger, Live Rail", "Warning, stay off the line, £1000 fine" etc. I guess it's confusing to a mutated halfling who's spent years living in a cave coveting a ring and then spent a night on the lash in Brighton...

Got a mate who works for the Rail Police at Faversham, now he's got a few nasty stories about live rail incidents! ;)

The coroner says Brooker was obsessed with the number 23 and drank on the 23rd of every month.
...I guess I must be obsessed with the numbers 1-31 then...

B.

* The ones with live rails, obviously; not all the lines have them

Alegis
01-28-2005, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by ET Warrior
Yes, because that 1/10000 of a second it takes to move your thumb from 9 to 1 is imperative :dozey:
And then there's that risk of having an item pressed against the 9, calling 999.

OHe risked death and got it, and wasn't even funny. Poor guy.

•-BLaCKouT-•
01-28-2005, 12:53 PM
Originally posted by Alegis
And then there's that risk of having an item pressed against the 9, calling 999.
Yup, which is why I thought mobiles have a keylock. Until I found out that 999 actually overrides the keylock. :indif: Cheers Nokia.

:xp: B.

CaptainRAVE
01-28-2005, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by •-BLaCKouT-•
Yup, which is why I thought mobiles have a keylock. Until I found out that 999 actually overrides the keylock. :indif: Cheers Nokia.

:xp: B.

My old sagem phone used to have 12 to overide the lock aswell. I never quite worked out why. Wouldnt be much use in an emergency!

Anthony
01-28-2005, 05:03 PM
Live Rail : 1
Cretin: 0

Live rail wins. :eek:

Sabretooth
01-28-2005, 09:25 PM
Somebody would have taken this to the court, if Tolkien were alive.

SkinWalker
02-01-2005, 07:01 PM
If I had an emergency in the U.K. and wanted to dial 999 but had one pint too many and nailed 666 because the phone was upside down, who would I get?

Leper Messiah
02-01-2005, 07:18 PM
well oddly enough Skinwalker, nobody because you dialed the wrong number. if its satan youre looking for youll need an area code :p


Brooker was obsessed with the number 23

worlds a safer place for David Beckham now this guys dead then.

acdcfanbill
02-01-2005, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by SkinWalker
If I had an emergency in the U.K. and wanted to dial 999 but had one pint too many and nailed 666 because the phone was upside down, who would I get? me! and i would be happy to talk with you too ;)

narfblat
02-01-2005, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by Sabretooth
Somebody would have taken this to the court, if Tolkien were alive. Umm, who would he sue? The guy died.