PDA

View Full Version : 42?

jon_hill987
02-03-2005, 01:22 AM
I really don't think this is a good idea at all...

Movie website (http://hitchhikers.movies.go.com/main.html)

any one else think that some new films should be written rather than re-using old stuff?

Sivy
02-03-2005, 01:50 AM
i think it looks great

martin freedman and Mos Def is great casting.

edlib
02-03-2005, 05:12 AM
I'm really trying to reserve judgement until I see it.

I've read the story hundreds of times at this point, and I always have an uneasy feeling when Hollywood gets involved with literature.

However, Douglas Adams always wanted HHGG to be a major motion picture, and was very involved with the pre-production aspects right up until his death.

But I already know now that I'm bound to be disappointed and find fault in it no matter how good, since I know the story so well.

If they keep the spirit of the BBC TV mini-series, but with much better production values they'll be doing pretty well.

*Crosses Fingers and hopes for the best*

toms
02-03-2005, 05:28 AM
so far the previews have had mixed reviews. Aparently most of it is pretty good, but the effects (so far) are a bit ropey in places and Mos Def has been getting fairly bad reviews on aint-it-cool, but then again he has also gotten a few good ones...

I do agree that they should try creating a few NEW franchises ocasionally, but there are some franchises that are so big (LOTR, hitchhickers, etc..) that they are entitiled to at least TRY and make films of them.

IG-64
02-03-2005, 05:30 AM
I've never read it, don't even know what it's about.

jon_hill987
02-03-2005, 06:02 AM
I admit it could be good, as LotR was, but far too many films these days are a re-make of this or an adaption of that. are there no good writers anymore?

Originally posted by IG-64
I've never read it, don't even know what it's about.

basicly the earth is destroyed to make way for a galactic road.

swphreak
02-03-2005, 06:03 AM
I can't wait for it to come out. I really enjoyed the book AND the British series. Quite entertaining.

El Sitherino
02-03-2005, 06:33 AM
Personally I despise aintitcool, so I don't listen to crap of what they say. I have a feeling this might turn out rather well. A lot better than a majority of the crap that's being thrown out into theatres these days.

Pie™
02-03-2005, 07:13 AM
Yeah I'm not sure about this one, but I loved the books...

Leper Messiah
02-03-2005, 09:59 AM
keep Speilberg and Cruise away from it and we'll be halfway there. Hollywood in general doesnt mix well with British literature.

•-BLaCKouT-•
02-03-2005, 11:39 AM
I've got a good feeling about this film :) Liked the books, but for some reason liked the TV series more. Unusual I know :confused:
Originally posted by edlib
If they keep the spirit of the BBC TV mini-series, but with much better production values they'll be doing pretty well.
Oi!! I'll have you know that here in the UK, 6 episodes is a series! Not a mini-one!! :xp:

;) B.

ZBomber
02-03-2005, 11:51 AM
Well, I think it looks kinda.... dull.... but I never read the books or anything.

Altus_Thrawn
02-03-2005, 01:29 PM
I'm optimistic, the book is so amazing, the movie's gotta be at least pretty good.

Z-This is the book, the best in witty humor....go read it. Now.

:)

narfblat
02-03-2005, 01:37 PM
When my brother told me about this movie several weeks ago, I said, "The special effects better not be good!"

seriously, having superb special effects might ruin it for me. I liked how ridiculous the "mini-series" looked

Bob Gnarly
02-03-2005, 01:53 PM
nothing to say about it since the tesear showed nothing.

but Mos Def is an ill rapper.

edlib
02-04-2005, 04:17 AM
Originally posted by •-BLaCKouT-•
Oi!! I'll have you know that here in the UK, 6 episodes is a series! Not a mini-one!! :xp:

;) B.

Hmmm... I guess I should really know that by now... I own all the Fawlty Towers and Blackadder stuff on video. A lot of the Python stuff too.

But when it (HHGG) plays here it's called a "Mini-Series"... so there you go.

I have it on video, too.

toms
02-04-2005, 06:13 AM
the bbc radio play (that i think the tv series was based on) is well worth picking up as well... or downloading.
I think the BBC web site even sells CDs in mp3 format.

basicly the earth is destroyed to make way for a galactic road.

Well, the plans had been on display in the local galactic planning office for at least 6 galactic months, so you had plenty of time to register an appeal!

Martin Freeman rocks, i just hope the rest of it is as good as it could be.

RebelScum!
02-04-2005, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by ZBomber
Well, I think it looks kinda.... dull.... but I never read the books or anything.

Same...But i guess ill go get the book....

jokemaster
02-05-2005, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by ZBomber
It's comedy, not action.

I'm gonna give it a chance. But then again I'm a hopeless optimist.

Redwing
02-06-2005, 09:42 PM
I'm curious to see what they've changed/added/subtracted in THIS version. :D

However, I was sold on this movie the moment I heard Alan Rickman was doing Marvin's voice. SO. PERFECT. ^___^

Z: DULL?!? o__o

edlib
02-07-2005, 02:34 AM
I know there's a whole bunch of character names listed that I don't recognize at all.

And Douglas Adams said that this version contradicts all the previous versions in a couple of ways (no specifics given though.)

Should be interesting at the very least...