PDA

View Full Version : Naming Revolution

Lynk Former
02-08-2005, 02:52 AM
The names of consoles really haven't been very... well... good for a long time now. We all hear "PlayStation" and "GameCube" and "Xbox" and wierd crap like that which is like "What the hell? A station a cube and a box?" O.o

But the "Nintendo Revolution"... it may be a codename but it DOES sound cool. Even though I know that chances are next to nothing, I think Nintendo should KEEP the "Nintendo Revolution" name. It's worth keeping! If Nintendo are serious about this revolutionary stance they have, they should keep the name that defines the system.

So what do you guys think?

One more thing, this isn't a debate over which console/company is better or any crap like that. If you want to discuss that sort of thing then start a new thread.

Boba Rhett
02-08-2005, 02:57 AM
My vote is for Super DUPER Nintedo.

I dunno if I like the Nintendo Revolution name yet or not. I guess it depends on how revolutionary it turns out to be so I guess I'll reserve judgement on the name until then. :D

Revan Solo
02-08-2005, 02:59 AM
Nintendo Revolution ... it sounds a little bit like Matrix Revolutions but it sounds better than Gamecube.

Lynk Former
02-08-2005, 04:17 AM
The "Nintendo Revolution" also reminds me of the "Sega Genesis." That kind of naming is lost now with stations and cubes and boxes.... XD

Rogue15
02-08-2005, 04:38 AM
heh it's better sounding than 'dolphin'

Sivy
02-08-2005, 04:54 AM
i think they should call it the 'Super Nintedo Revolution Station Cube X'

ET Warrior
02-08-2005, 04:55 AM
What about the Nintendo Stealth Ninja.

Who WOULDN'T buy one if it was called that?

Boba Rhett
02-08-2005, 04:56 AM
Oh oh, The CubedBoxStationX Revolution.

Or maybe they should just name it something like,

"Natalie Portman Naked"

Think of all the accidental sales.

ckcsaber
02-08-2005, 05:02 AM
Whadda bout the "Super duper revolution happy fun time Nintendo cube box"?

Sivy
02-08-2005, 05:02 AM
Originally posted by Boba Rhett

how about the Super-Nintedo-Entertainment-Cubed-Box-Station-X-System-Revolution-Y2K5

or SNECBSXSRY2K5 for short

Boba Rhett
02-08-2005, 05:07 AM
Originally posted by Sivy
how about the Super-Nintedo-Entertainment-Cubed-Box-Station-X-System-Revolution-Y2K5

or SNECBSXSRY2K5 for short

:eek: CALL NINTENDO.

ET Warrior
02-08-2005, 05:10 AM
It'll probably have to be the Y2K6

I dont think it'll come out till next year :xp:

swphreak
02-08-2005, 05:18 AM
The last thing I read about Revolution, was that it resembled a pyramid... dunno how old that info is though...

The name wouldn't kill me, but I think it sounds silly and unNintendo-like.

edlib
02-08-2005, 05:27 AM
"Natalie Portman Naked"
Eh... Good idea, but I'll go with the old classic standby:

"The Nintendo Free Beer Machine!"

:joy:

Revan Solo
02-08-2005, 05:30 AM
Nintendo Money-Maker!

El Sitherino
02-08-2005, 05:53 AM
Happybox.

It makes all your wildest dreams come true, even the really dirty ones.

Or, RNES. Revolutionary Nintendo Entertainment System.

BongoBob
02-08-2005, 06:01 AM
I go with Sith, make it sound old schoolish yet cool still :cool:

Sam
02-08-2005, 06:13 AM
Anyone else think they should name their tenth console the Nin10do?

El Sitherino
02-08-2005, 06:27 AM
Originally posted by Sam
Anyone else think they should name their tenth console the Nin10do? I will cut you for that.

jon_hill987
02-08-2005, 07:39 AM
You left the "I don't care coz its a nintendo and they suck" out of the poll

Meh, revolution is good enough I suppose...

El Sitherino
02-08-2005, 07:44 AM
Nintendo? Suck? HA.

Boba Rhett
02-08-2005, 07:45 AM
In some departments? Yeah. We're not supposed to talk about that here though so shhhhhhhhhh!

RebelScum!
02-08-2005, 07:50 AM
Sounds good to me...better than any of the names you guys think of :xp:.

Sam
02-08-2005, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by InsaneSith
I will cut you for that.

I was joking I just forgot the smiley.:p

IG-64
02-08-2005, 08:53 AM
I sort of agree with Revan Solo's first post, it does remind me of Matrix, and that might not blow over well with the population. But I do think it is a good name and it would be cool if they kept it.

But, i'm more curious about the revolutionary part.

Hermie
02-08-2005, 08:54 AM
How about: n1nt3nd0, teh 1337 c0n20l3!

Wise words for the kids (http://cad-comic.com/?t=archives&date=2005-02-05)

PoM
02-08-2005, 10:11 AM
Wise words for the kids (http://cad-comic.com/?t=archives&date=2005-02-05)
:rolleyes:

...Anyway!
The C.O.N.S.O.L.E. System
(Cyber-obtainable-nintendo-sacred-obligatory-laughable-ecofriendly System)

ZBomber
02-08-2005, 10:32 AM
I actually really like Sithy's suggestion, the RNES. :)

They could even release our favorite NES/SNES games with hyped up graphics. :)

Hermie
02-08-2005, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by ZBomber
I actually really like Sithy's suggestion, the RNES. :)

They could even release our favorite NES/SNES games with hyped up graphics. :)
Or not. It would be way too tempting, even for Nintendo, to just tweak a little here, fix a little there, and suddently its a completly different game.

ET Warrior
02-08-2005, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by Herminator
Or not. It would be way too tempting, even for Nintendo, to just tweak a little here, fix a little there, and suddently its a completly different game.

And new games......are.........bad?

Curt-Man
02-08-2005, 12:17 PM
well they orginally were going to have xbox a different name, thats just what they used before they had a name, one day they got lazy and they liked the name xbox so thats what they called it, anywho i thyink it should be called:

CSRNGS(Crazy.Super.Revolutioanry.Nintendo.Game.Sys tem)

or RNES i like that one.

IG-64
02-08-2005, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by Curt-Man
well they orginally were going to have xbox a different name, thats just what they used before they had a name, one day they got lazy and they liked the name xbox so thats what they called it, anywho i thyink it should be called:

CSRNGS(Crazy.Super.Revolutioanry.Nintendo.Game.Sys tem)

or RNES i like that one.

or GSTRINGS (Graphically.Supreme.Technologically.Revolutionary .Improved.Nintendo.Gaming.System)

:xp:

ZBomber
02-08-2005, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Herminator

So? As long as it still has the same story, it would be awesome. :)

El Sitherino
02-08-2005, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by ET Warrior
And new games......are.........bad? yeah... I don't get it.....

http://www.boomspeed.com/insanesith/Caption_pictures/bloo_wtf.jpg

Lynk Former
02-08-2005, 01:18 PM
Originally posted by StarWarsPhreak
The name wouldn't kill me, but I think it sounds silly and unNintendo-like.
Isn't that what Nintendo should be aiming for? They're really trying to break away from the stereotypes put over them.

Tux115
02-08-2005, 01:24 PM
Gamecast...lol

shukrallah
02-08-2005, 05:44 PM
Nintendo 128 ;)

64 + 64 = 128. Actually, they probably should have called the gamecube that.

Astrotoy7
02-08-2005, 10:06 PM
Well, seein the Nintendo is a kids console they should call it :

Fisher-Price Crayola Nintendo Fun set

or the FCN Fun set

*runs from crazed nintendo fans dressed as mario who think Nintendo is cool coz it has metroid*

mtfbwya

Leper Messiah
02-08-2005, 11:08 PM
Nintendo Non-Profit-Maker-We're-Going-The-Same-Way-As-Sega

Hermie
02-09-2005, 05:10 AM
And new games......are.........bad?
No, but bad remakes of good games are.

ET Warrior
02-09-2005, 07:31 AM
Yet you seem to be implying that any remake of a good game is a bad thing, on which I most wholeheartedly disagree.

BawBag™
02-09-2005, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by Astrotoy7

or the FCN Fun set

*runs from crazed nintendo fans dressed as mario who think Nintendo is cool coz it has metroid*

mtfbwya
I'd love a kid's console to be called a "FCN" fun set. :D

El Sitherino
02-09-2005, 08:04 AM
It's funny to see all this anti-nintendo, when without nintendo your precious PS2 and Xbox would seriously lack a lot of the features they have. Namely online capabilties.

Lynk Former
02-09-2005, 08:15 AM

or the FCN Fun set

mtfbwya

And that is what someone who doesn't know what they're talking about steps up and tries to sound smart says about Nintendo.

Nintendo's last two consoles have been in trouble because of the simple fact that it lacks good third party support. Nintendo relies too much on their core franchises and the GCN's minidisk was another disadvantage. When your media is smaller than that of your competitors it's not a good thing, yes you prevent piracy but you also lose more possible games. There are reasons why Nintendo has been failing lately and it's not because "they're for kids." Pokemon, while none of you like it and give crap to anyone who thinks otherwise makes a HELL OF A LOT of money for Nintendo. Who cares that it's Pokemon, the fact that one franchise aimed at children makes so much money is what gives it worth. All Nintendo needs to do is recapture that third party market. The way to do that is do exactly what Sony and Microsoft are doing with their consoles. The advantage is having your own exclusive franchises. First step, get those third party developers in and make sure the games they create and disadvantaged from the other two brands and THEN get all your exclusive stuff out there.

It's not a matter of "Nintendo is for kids" that a bull**** excuse for anyone.

El Sitherino
02-09-2005, 08:19 AM
Well, seein the Nintendo is a kids console

Nintendo isn't just for kids, it's for everyone. They have games that are fun for all ages. If you want to cling to your naive fanboy dellusions, go ahead. But don't muck up a perfectly fine thread with your BS.

BawBag™
02-09-2005, 09:35 AM
Another point that I think is greatly overlooked when it comes to Nintendo, is the multi-player aspect of their games.

Let's face it, MarioKart with 3 friends and beer can be an entertaining evening....

Revan Solo
02-09-2005, 09:42 AM
You can also play with 3 friends on a PS 2!

El Sitherino
02-09-2005, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by Revan Solo
You can also play with 3 friends on a PS 2! Not without the 4 controller adapter. And you can only play a select amount of games with more than 2 people.

Lynk Former
02-09-2005, 10:29 AM
And you can't play Mario Kart on a PS2 :xp:

But anywayz... I'm craving to play Smash Bros Melee... @.@ gotta love that game, so much fun.

BongoBob
02-09-2005, 11:26 AM
Anger Management.

SSBM

You as Ct Falcon with 9 handicap.

team of 3 jigglypuff at cpu 1

home run bats

and go :D

Sabretooth
02-11-2005, 01:32 AM
I think Nintendo Revolution fits it, as long as it is revolutionary.

Astrotoy7
02-11-2005, 03:34 PM
Nintendo isn't just for kids, it's for everyone. They have games that are fun for all ages. If you want to cling to your naive fanboy dellusions, go ahead. But don't muck up a perfectly fine thread with your BS.

why do you nintendo fans get *so upset* when someone says its a kids machine :p :(

However, all jokes aside, Im sure that if we could track down some sales/demographics data , the GC is inevitable more likely to have snared much more of the younger market, and this is purely by design on the part of nintendo, not a fiendish plan by game devs to make the GC a kids toy...

Nintendo seem to have a wonderful propensity to isolate themselves from the rest of the market, by coming up with consoles and formats that arent accessible or viable for certain game Co.s

I have a GC meself, play Rogue Squadron 2and 3, and Final Fantasy only...waiting for Zelda of course :D

Lets hope the aptly titled "Revolution" will be exactly that, a new way of thiking to make their next console a stronger contributor to gaming/multimedia etc....

:p

mtfbwya

heh...kids these days cant take a joke :p

El Sitherino
02-11-2005, 03:39 PM
I'm actually not all the much of a Nintendo fan. I'm more of a sega guy actually.

I just don't like webs of evil.

Besides, that wario game is awesome at keggers. ;)

kipperthefrog
02-11-2005, 03:53 PM
I have been a loyal nintindo fan since the NES. then i got SNES then N64. then I switched to PC. now I think I should get a console of the next generation since THIS generation is halfway over anyway.

BTW: nintindo revolution DOES need somthing revolutionary, like cheap online play, or PC connectivity. or multi tvs connection so each player can veiw with their own TV.

shukrallah
02-11-2005, 05:50 PM
If its not revolutionary, it won't sell. And if it is, like I have read else-where... there are two possibilities. It will be the next big thing (like 3D games with mario 64) or it will be so extreme that it just won't work out. You know, like its too far ahead of its time, and people aren't ready for it.

Unless they do something stupid, I'll probably buy it.

Lynk Former
02-11-2005, 06:18 PM
@ Astrotoy7: We already know that, it's the stereotype that has been placed on Nintendo. Sega would be given the same stereotype if they were "alive" right now the way they were in the past. Remember their mascot was an animated Hedgehog... It's the fact that in recent years technology has risen from simple pixels to polygons and particle effects. All that was once seen as games that anyone can play has now turned into "kiddy games." Some games can transfer over well and seem adult or NOT kiddy. Others need to stay with their certain style but when you transfer over their style they look a hellova lot more childish than they really should look.

Remember, Nintendo are committed to making "Games for Everyone" while Sony and Microsoft target older gamers with more violent games and such and hoping to capture those leet players who thought they owned the world (and they did lol). Yeah, the problem is that the games targetted for a younger or more general audience are more dominant on a Nintendo system. This can be blamed for Nintendo alienating all of those third party developers which is the KEY to getting them back on track. Those three things, third party developers, more unique exclusive adult oriented content and online play.

Nintendo seem to have a wonderful propensity to isolate themselves from the rest of the market, by coming up with consoles and formats that arent accessible or viable for certain game Co.s

They're so trying to break from that as well as their kiddy image in the last two years... and yeah I hate how Nintendo has put themselves into that position.

@ lukeskywalker1: Actually the problem is that if it IS revolutionary it still won't sell. Gamers today would rather flashy graphics and violence than some form of new gameplay.

Revan Solo
02-12-2005, 03:53 AM
Nintendo Vision Revolution!

It sounds good but it is a little bit too long. Nintendo Revolution is good enough even when I am not going to buy a Nintendo.

shukrallah
02-12-2005, 04:02 AM
Remember, Nintendo are committed to making "Games for Everyone" while Sony and Microsoft target older gamers with more violent games and such and hoping to capture those leet players who thought they owned the world (and they did lol). Yeah, the problem is that the games targetted for a younger or more general audience are more dominant on a Nintendo system. This can be blamed for Nintendo alienating all of those third party developers which is the KEY to getting them back on track. Those three things, third party developers, more unique exclusive adult oriented content and online play.

Its a little late to join up with 3rd party devs now. But this is the reason they are making that new zelda, because everyone was mad about windwaker. They said it was kiddy (I have to admit, it was easy, but still an excellant game). I mean, when you go from what was seen at spaceworld 2000 (super realistic sword fight between ganondorf and link) to windwaker (cell chaded link with big head...) your kinda disapointed.

Lynk Former
02-12-2005, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by lukeskywalker1
Its a little late to join up with 3rd party devs now. But this is the reason they are making that new zelda, because everyone was mad about windwaker. They said it was kiddy (I have to admit, it was easy, but still an excellant game). I mean, when you go from what was seen at spaceworld 2000 (super realistic sword fight between ganondorf and link) to windwaker (cell chaded link with big head...) your kinda disapointed.

It's too late for this generation but not too late for the next generation.

With The Wind Waker, I didn't like it cause it was too short, the graphics were bloody brilliant though @.@ So much style, Nintendo did a great job with it. Plus the reason most people don't approve of The Wind Waker is because Ocarina of Time had already set the standards as to what a Zelda game should look like in 3D. Besides, the Spaceworld 2000 clip sucked compared to what you see in Zelda2005's screens XD.

PoM
02-12-2005, 07:59 AM
If its not revolutionary, it won't sell. And if it is, like I have read else-where... there are two possibilities. It will be the next big thing (like 3D games with mario 64) or it will be so extreme that it just won't work out. You know, like its too far ahead of its time, and people aren't ready for it.

Unless they do something stupid, I'll probably buy it.

It'll be 4D!!!!!!!!!11:D:D:D

Uh..wait..The fourth dimension is sound...nevermind then.

ET Warrior
02-12-2005, 08:32 AM
Originally posted by Piece of metal
It'll be 4D!!!!!!!!!11:D:D:D

Uh..wait..The fourth dimension is time...nevermind then.

Fixed.

if you want to debate it keep it to PM's, since this thread isn't about that ;)

El Sitherino
02-12-2005, 08:35 AM
Lol, I was just about to correct him, damn you ET! :fist:

But yeah, I'd like to see an aging mario as you go further and further into the game :D.

ET Warrior
02-12-2005, 08:52 AM
But yeah, I'd like to see an aging mario as you go further and further into the game :D.

That would be awesome! Everytime you find red mushrooms you could age a little bit....:eek:

Boba Rhett
02-12-2005, 09:52 AM
If they recapture the third party market, that'd be all kinds of shades of awesome. Although the fact that Nintendo isn't showing their next console at this years E3 is going to hurt their chances of gaining third party developers. They really need to get on the stick about this problem. They must get the third party guys.

shukrallah
02-12-2005, 02:23 PM
No Rhett, I think I read somewhere that they ARE showcasing the revolution at E3. I could be wrong.

Besides, the Spaceworld 2000 clip sucked compared to what you see in Zelda2005's screens XD.

True. But that fight was awesome, thats what I was hoping for in Ocarina of Time, but it ended up being a "bounce the electro ball back at him" type of thing.

Maybe Zelda 05 will have an awesome sword fight. One can only hope. We don't even know if Ganondorf is in it. But if he isn't then... it will definatly subtract from the story, or take away from the zelda feeling.

With The Wind Waker, I didn't like it cause it was too short, the graphics were bloody brilliant though @.@ So much style, Nintendo did a great job with it.

It also lacked stuff, for example the major city was Windfall. There wasn't much else besides that....

I'm hoping Zelda 2005 will take place in Hyrule, with all towns like before, and maybe some additions. Imagine Hyrule feild like in that trailer, and then Hyrule Castle... Kakariko and Lake Hylia. Man, it would be awesome.

Mike Windu
02-12-2005, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by Leper Messiah
Nintendo Non-Profit-Maker-We're-Going-The-Same-Way-As-Sega

Clever. :D

The Revolution isn't a terribly fantastic name, in my opinion.

Too cliche :p

Tyrion
02-12-2005, 04:35 PM
Eh, I dunno. The Beatles had two songs, Revolution and Revolution 9. One was pretty good, one absolutely sucked.

So the name has had a scarred history...oh yeah, and the whole fact that national revolutions tend to be bloody...but that's aside from the point...

Boba Rhett
02-12-2005, 05:45 PM
No Rhett, I think I read somewhere that they ARE showcasing the revolution at E3. I could be wrong.

Unless they're planning on really surprising everyone, there's not currently even a demo video planned to be shown for the Revolution.

Lynk Former
02-12-2005, 05:58 PM
A really good article about what Nintendo should be doing at E3 was posted up at IGN: http://cube.ign.com/articles/587/587028p1.html

It's bloody hard NOT to agree with everything said there.

Darth Rythe
02-13-2005, 12:34 AM

"Natalie Portman Naked"

No...That would be false advertising....:xp:

Mike Windu
02-13-2005, 03:58 PM
I was hoping for Ganon to have a sword in SSBM.

The next SSBM better have the classic Fox. Not this new Namco Fox with the **** fur and fangs and no helmet and whatnot.

Blasphemers. :¬:

IG-64
02-13-2005, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Mike Windu
I was hoping for Ganon to have a sword in SSBM.

The next SSBM better have the classic Fox. Not this new Namco Fox with the **** fur and fangs and no helmet and whatnot.

Blasphemers. :¬:

Fo' Shizzle. :cool:

kipperthefrog
02-13-2005, 07:02 PM
Here is a good idea for a 4D game. a game where you are in Paris, and you can travel though time.

you go to 2064 and see what paris as it is then, (it still has the eifel tower.) you play a level there and fight aginst robots and aliens.

You go back to 1944 and see it as in WW2. (eifel tower is still there, but newer) you sneak and fight aginst nazis who are ocupying them.

You go to 1354 and see the place as it was in medieval times.(eifel tower hasn't been built yet) gueass what, knights castles, trebuchets, archers and of cuorse whitch burnings.

You go to 3994 and see pais after a nuclear war (eifel tower still there, but in ruins along with the rest of the city and it is in a desert) you fight radioactive mutants.

ETC>>> ETC>>>

ET Warrior
02-13-2005, 07:04 PM
A game that incorporates Time Travel? unheard of! (http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/action/timesplitters3/index.html?q=TimeSPlitters)

Astrotoy7
02-13-2005, 11:19 PM
A game that incorporates Time Travel? unheard of! (http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/action/timesplitters3/index.html?q=TimeSPlitters)

I love time travel storylines and games.. When I was a little tacker, at school we used to play the old version of "Where in Time is Carmen Sandiego"....it was great fun :)

*sigh....memories*

mtfbwya

IG-64
02-13-2005, 11:35 PM
I love time travel storylines and games.. When I was a little tacker, at school we used to play the old version of "Where in Time is Carmen Sandiego"....it was great fun :)

*sigh....memories*

mtfbwya

Hah, the one with the coffee machine? And the big book that came with it? That one was awesome.

ET Warrior
02-14-2005, 07:08 AM
I used to play "Where in America's past is Carmen Sandiego"

I never beat it :(

shukrallah
02-14-2005, 12:17 PM

*cough*OoT*cough* The name says time travel.