PDA

View Full Version : TSL: ATI driver issues and Dantooine Lag Fix

stingerhs
02-10-2005, 05:41 PM
If you are having problems running TSL, and you are using an ATI Radeon video card, chances are your problem can be documented like this:

You go through the character creation proccess and watch the intro movies. Then, the screen goes black with music playing in the backround.

THIS PROBLEM IS QUITE EASY TO FIX!!!

Your problem is that TSL doesn't like whatever version of the ATI Catalyst drivers that you happen to be using. To fix the problem, follow these simple steps below:

1.) Download and Install the latest Catalyst Drivers
The link: http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.html

First, select your operating system.
Next, select the "Graphic Driver" option.
Next, select the "RADEON Family" option.
Finally, select your video card from the list.
The next webpage will offer you two download options: the internatonal and the english versions. Choose the one that will do you best.
Its an executable file, so you shouldn't have much trouble installing it.
NOTE: The latest Catalyst Drivers are version 7.1

2.) Edit the "swkotor2.ini" file- Fixes the Dantooine Lag Issue
This edit is no longer required for most ATI users since the Catalyst 5.4 drivers have fixed the Dantooine Lag issue. However, I still recommend this step since the 5.4 drivers still don't give you the best performance on Dantooine.

Also, if you are still having problems with Dantooine, then this step is not optional. You will need to take this step to fix the problem.

First, figure out where the .ini is installed. Default is "C:\Program Files\Lucasarts\swkotor2\swkotor2.ini". If its not in that location, then your going to have to do some searching around on the hard drive a bit.
When you find it, just double-click on the file to open it in Notepad.
Scroll down the file until you find the Graphics Options
Under the last line, add "Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=1", without the quotes.
Goto File, then Save.

SINCE THE 4.11 CATALYST DRIVERS ARE NO LONGER AVAILABLE FOR DOWNLOAD, THIS STEP HAS BEEN REMOVED. However, if you do manage to find a link to the 4.11 drivers, then please post that information below. ;)

NOTE: All ATI users should check out the handy tweak guide below. thanks to Acleacious for finding it. :)

the link: http://www.tweakguides.com/ATICAT_1.html

anyways, feel free to post questions or comments below. :)

Darth333
02-11-2005, 10:28 AM
stingerhs:

I heard a lot of people are having issues with the latest Catalyst drivers: 5.1 and 5.2. I am currently running the game with 4.11 and have not encountered any issues so far (from what I have read, this seems to be the driver that works the best for Kotor 2 too )

I have the following machine:
Athlon64 3400+
1024MB RAM
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

stingerhs
02-11-2005, 07:02 PM
well, sorry about not replying sooner, but thats because i've gotten tsl to work on my machine. you do the math. ;)

anyways, i've been running tsl without any problems with the new 5.2 catalyst drivers as long as i don't turn on the AA or AF. otherwise, the game freezes after loading 5-6 modules.

during my, ehh, 9 hr binge (made me miss my 8:30 class :rolleyes: ) last nite, i had a silkly smooth framerate with some descent visual quality, although some areas were begging for some good AA. i'm just hoping the AA and AF issues will be addressed in the first patch, well, assuming there will be a patch, anyway.

oh well, if anybody has problems using the 5.2 catalyst drivers with tsl, then post here. i'd be more than welcome to offer a couple of suggestions. :)

note: i had no problems with the frame buffer effects whatsoever. :D

T7nowhere
02-11-2005, 07:55 PM
my specs:
Motherboard:Asus P4P800 Deluxe
CPU:P4 2.533
HSF:Zalman 7000a alcu
Memory:samsung(2x512DDR333)dual mode
Monitor:ViewSonic P95f+B
Video:ATI Radeon AIW 9700 pro
PCI Cards:Sound Blaster Audigy X-Gamer
Storage:WD WD80GB
Optical Drives:Lite-on CDRW +Lite-on DVD
O/S:Win XPpro SP1

I'm useing cats 5.1 with Frame buffer, smooth shadows, grass, AA @ 2 and AF @ 4 and the game has been smooth (I mean really smooth. there are still some frame loss when there are alot of particle effects, but I'm getting better proformance than I ever did in KotOR) right until I reached Dantooine

Everthing was fine then all of a sudden it slowed to a halt. I figured that it must have something to do with Framebuffer effects so I turned it off went back to the game and no change so I turned it back on and everything was back to being smooth again :confused: I have encountered it a couple more times and turning off and on frame buffer stops the frame loss.

I also encountered a total game freeze then crash once. There wasn't any warning signs it just froze and 30 seconds later it crashed.

Darth333
02-13-2005, 09:54 AM
Has anyone tried the following? (sorry, just got to Telos :D )

It seems that the following fixes a framerate issue on Dantooine (Ati cards):

In swkotor2.ini, go in the "Graphics Options" section and add the line:
"Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=1".

technobabble042
02-13-2005, 12:54 PM
Darth - Thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou!

That made my FPS go from 1 to 20 unless something changed overnight. Now I can finally beat that damn FPS hellhole! -_- Curse you, 4x AGP port! CURSE YOU!

*nervous cough*

Anyways, thanks for the help. Made everything run alot better.

breadmaster
02-15-2005, 01:44 AM
Of course this doesn't work if you have a Mobility Radeon Chip as you can't use the catalyst drivers.............

The only way to play at the moment is either ti install on my desktop machine (too slow!) or disable movies. This is a bit disappointing......

stingerhs
02-15-2005, 02:59 AM
^^^^
hmm?? i don't understand why can't you update your drivers for the mobility chip. it uses the same graphics processor, except that its been "under"clocked to save battery power (hence the "go" part, but granted, its still the best mobile GPU).

as far as my understanding goes, you should be able to use the same drivers as a standard radeon card (thus, you should be able to use the 5.2 catalyst drivers). now, if your refering to the catalyst control center, then yes, i can understand where you're coming from. but, thats an optional part, especially since you need the .NET framework installed.

breadmaster
02-15-2005, 06:44 AM
it's my understanding that the chip is different though?????

source of info for me: click me (http://www.firingsquad.com/print_article.asp?current_section=Hardware&fs_article_id=1516)

you?

stingerhs
02-15-2005, 07:27 AM
hmm, perhaps i'll just stick to my desktop.... :rolleyes:

actually, i did a little bit of research, and it turns out that ATI doesn't offer the latest drivers for their mobility chips. intstead, they want you to get the latest drivers from whoever manufactured your laptop because of the built-in screen.

i'll refer you to this page:
http://www.ati.com/support/products/pc/laptops/index.html

i hope that helps. :)

breadmaster
02-15-2005, 07:42 AM
wise words there mate - and if you've got a laptop like me then you just have to pray that the manufacturer updates the driver regularly - hah! fat chance.

fingers crossed the next kotor2 patch will fix it......hah! fat chance.

still - i live in hope.......

Darth333
02-15-2005, 08:20 AM
I am not familiar with graphical issues with Mobility Radeon Chips but I've read at a couple places that you can get Kotor 2 running with Omega drivers, which are based on the Catalyst drivers:

http://www.omegadrivers.net/

If you try, let us know how it turns out :)

breadmaster
02-15-2005, 08:43 AM
I'm summoning up the courage to install the omega drivers !

technobabble042
02-15-2005, 09:54 AM
I run the Omega drivers, have since last summer, and they didn't help me that much. If you tweak any of the settings, let me know, so I can see if they work for me?

Acleacius
02-16-2005, 06:04 PM
Just thought I would post my solution, till I get a chance to try Darth333's suggestion, im starting a new game and can not check it now.
Go in the options menu select Graphics, then Advanced change the detail from high to medium, then back to high and click ok.
Return to the game and you should be fine.
There are 3 or so maps this needs to be done, I wont list then since its obvious when this happens :)

Edit: PS, im using Omega based on 5.1.

Kiwegapa
02-23-2005, 01:36 PM
Not only can you use Omega drivers on laptops, you can use Mobility Modder to fix the normal Catalyst driver so you can install it. You can find it at http://www.driverheaven.net/patje/

Be warned that KOTOR 2 is not designed for laptops or older desktop video cards, and you might not have much luck getting it to run.

KOTOR 2 requires hardware OpenGL 1.3 support on nVidia cards and 1.4 on ATI cards. This is not the version number of your driver, but the functions designed into the chip.

breadmaster
02-23-2005, 11:43 PM
I have now installed the Omega drivers on my laptop and they are great!
(except when you return to Dantooine but methinks there is a huge bug in the game there??)

excellent advice - thanks fellas!

Kiwegapa
02-24-2005, 12:06 AM
breadmaster, if you mean there is a slowdown on Dantooine, you must edit swkotor2.ini and add the line Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=1 under the [Graphics Options] section. That should restore your speed on Dantooine.

If you mean later in the game..I've heard there is a problem but I haven't read about it until I finish the game.

breadmaster
02-24-2005, 12:09 AM
Thanks mate - i must admit i'd not seached for a solution yet (just turned all graphics to "low" and struggled through)

This forum is great!

stingerhs
02-24-2005, 02:56 AM
hmm, i think i'll edit the first post (again) to include the "Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=1" since it seems to be the only solution for Dantooine that have ATI cards.

Acleacius
03-04-2005, 08:16 AM
"Disable Vertex Buffer" setting did not work for me.

I was able to dig up a permanet solution for most ATI cards, thou.

Download the version 4.11 Cats, you can get them here.
http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?id=18

Then extract them but dont let it install, go to the drivers folder and look for the atioglxx.dl_ file.
Then open a dos window and extract that file with this command.
expand atioglxx.dl_ atioglxx.dll
Then place the atioglxx.dll in your KotOR 2 main directory (this works with KotOR as well).
This way you retain your most up to date drivers for all your other games but use the best functioning ATI driver for KotOR 2.
Not my orginal solution, passing it along I tested it and works smooth as silk.
I was droping to single digits frame rate, now when you get off the ship at Dantooine im at 60 fps, SWEET!

Good Luck.

j3di_sean
03-07-2005, 11:13 PM
^^^

I'm gonna try that out.

I'm assuming that the process of extraction the atioglxx.dll file using dos is the same as using winzip.

So what I'll do is I'm gonna try using 5.2atioglxx.dll in the C:\windows\system32\ folder and 4.11 (or 4.3) atioglxx.dll in the Kotor2 folder.

Acleacius, what catalyst are you using (one for the driver and the one for atioglxx.dll). Also what is your ATi graphic card?

stingerhs
03-07-2005, 11:32 PM
if this pans out, i'll add this to my first post. i'm also going to give it a try myself. :)

karto
03-08-2005, 05:29 PM
Originally posted by Acleacius ... place the atioglxx.dll in your KotOR 2 main directory (this works with KotOR as well)....
Thank you so much... that worked like a charm.

Dantooine runs smooth, with framebuffer effects working fine:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v257/karto/noglow.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v257/karto/glow.jpg

EDIT: BTW - the ending has to suck very very much to not have made KOTOR2 worth the money.
Its been ages since a game kept me enthralled in its story like this - for the good of my education, I hope their next game is far in the future.

Acleacius
03-08-2005, 11:21 PM
"Acleacius, what catalyst are you using (one for the driver and the one for atioglxx.dll). Also what is your ATi graphic card?"

I am using the 4.11 Cats, I dont think Omega has a 4.11, (I did see a DNA 4.11), for KotOR TSL.

I am using the the Omega 5.1 (no 5.2 yet) and my card is 9800 Pro for all other games.

The author of the Omegas has fine tuned the OpenGL drivers to a degree ATI have not been able to (to the best of my understanding) so all OpenGL games are seeing vast improvements in performance, nowdays.
The one exception seems to be KotOR series (maybe other older games too) which probably is using an older instruction set (I think) and since the engine is on its last days, I can only guess Lucas Arts decided it is not worth the effort or the engine just cant be fixed within reason.

"Thank you so much"

Hey no prob, I am just glad it worked.
Nothing takes the fun out of a great game quicker than crashes/bugs, Ekkk! :)

stingerhs
03-09-2005, 02:47 PM
i've also confirmed that this works. not only that, but it also gives you a nice little framerate boost. i'm adding this to the first top page as a fix for the game. :D

j3di_sean
03-09-2005, 09:53 PM
Doesn't work for me though ... damn my system.

Acleacius
03-10-2005, 12:38 PM
"Doesn't work for me though ... damn my system."

Odd, I am not sure how it could not work, by placing the atioglxx.dll in the KotOR2 directory it overrides you system drvier.

What driver are you using in your main system?
Also are you sure you have the 4.11 version (your putting in the X:\KotOR2) extracted correctly?

Does your ATI card have known conflicts with the 4.11 driver?

j3di_sean
03-11-2005, 11:07 AM
I'm using a Sapphire X800Pro with Ati Catalyst 5.3 (recently) installed. The game, however, runs smooth most of the time. Except places like Jek jek tar, Goto's ship, Nar shaada.
where frame rate is between 10-30...

Basically, kotor2 doesn't give any glow on my system. So I try various versions of atioglxx for glows. 4.11atioglxx doesn't give any glow for me. I dunno why. Are you using the same 4.11atioglxx downloaded from Ati website?

Mentioned in other thread, 4.3 and 4.2 atioglxx's give glow at the expense of artifacts and permanently disabled AA.

A much older version of atioglxx gave the glow without artifacts and restrictions on the graphic options. But the frame rate is HORRIBLE. At times reaching single digits.

I'm gonna give that DNA 4.11 catalyst thingy a shot...

j3di_sean
03-12-2005, 12:06 AM
OK. I found out which driver works the best on my Sapphire X800pro.

After testing atiodlxx from 4.4 to 4.11, the best to use is 4.7. It gives the glow, no artifacts, pretty good frame rate, and no restrictions on AA.

Glow doesn't work 4.8 onwards...

Hope it helps.

Kiwegapa
03-12-2005, 02:41 AM
Wow..you've really put a lot of work in on this, j3di_sean and stingerhs. Thanks.

Acleacius
03-12-2005, 03:36 AM
"Are you using the same 4.11atioglxx downloaded from Ati website?"

Yes and various mirrors, I have only seen orginal ATI 4.11s and the DNA 4.11s.

"So I try various versions of atioglxx for glows. 4.11atioglxx doesn't give any glow for me. I dunno why."

You might check to make sure you have a line in your, swkotor2.ini
Darth333 mentioned, Disable Vertex Buffer Objects= , except make sure it is set to 0 not 1.
If it is set to 1 it turns off glow, which is what sounds like is happening.
Any hoo, just a thought.

Good Luck.

j3di_sean
03-12-2005, 11:10 AM
As mentioned earlier, using 4.7 gives optimal performance for frame buffer effects. However ...

Drawback: The game crashes A LOT. 6 of 10 times, the game will shut down in between loading areas...

j3di_sean
03-13-2005, 03:26 AM
I have downloaded a list of DNA drivers.

I've got a problem though ... How do I extract atioglxx from these files? There is no "Open with winzip" option.

stingerhs
03-13-2005, 12:04 PM
if its an .exe file, then startup winzip and open it from there. ;)

j3di_sean
03-13-2005, 10:19 PM
Not as easy as it sounds. Can you try it?

THe best method i can think of is install dna catalysts ONE BY ONE and save the atioglxx files...

Btw, will this spoil my computer??

stingerhs
03-14-2005, 12:18 AM
easiest thing to do: get the video driver cleanup utility from the omega drivers, run the cleanup utility, install the dna drivers, save the atioglxx.dll file, run the cleanup utility again, then finally reinstall the catalyst drivers.

unfortunately, the people that made the .exe file for the DNA drivers are using a really weird compression format that not even WinRAR can understand. so, you're going to have to take the above steps to get the lone file. kinda sucks, don't it??

j3di_sean
03-14-2005, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by stingerhs
kinda sucks, don't it??

Yeah. But I'll give it a shot ... I'll let you guys know how it turns up.

(won't be so soon because I'm having tests this week)

silkshadow
03-14-2005, 10:09 AM
Just a data point. I am not sure where I read it originally (it wasn't here though wish I knew about this place on my first playthrough), but the solution Acleacius posted fixed my Dantoine and other random spots problems. I have an ATI 9800XT. I can even crank up antialiasing and antro-whatever now.

I had tried the edit ini thing posted in Lucas's support but that did diddly squat. Actually, before I read the solution with the 4.11 driver, I was just tweaking antro-whatever and it fixed the prob but it was a pain to keep doing that over and over.

I still have the gamma problem though. Everytime I exit KOTOR2 I get blinded by the high gamma of my monitor :(. I should stop playing in the dark lol.

stingerhs
03-14-2005, 11:22 AM
well, i may be wrong, but can't you mess with the gamma controls for 3d mode in the catalyst control panel?? i'd give it a shot, but i'm not at home right now to test it.

Kiwegapa
03-14-2005, 07:07 PM
The gamma in KOTOR 2 is really wild. Sometimes it'll start the game with a setting not specified in the ini or it will return from the game and set your desktop to a strange gamma level. I myself have only the problem with the game occasionally setting itself really dark.

If the game is too dark/bright: From the main menu or from the graphics options page, adjust the gamma one notch, then adjust it back, and it will be normal again.

If your desktop is too dark/bright: Yes, the ATI Catalyst drivers and the nVidia Forceware drivers both have a gamma control. Again, try adjusting it one notch, then returning it to default.

silkshadow
03-15-2005, 08:33 AM
Yup that works for me, but it still blinds me when I exit KOTOR before I have a chance to fix the gamma level. ;)

j3di_sean
03-15-2005, 10:00 AM
Alright! I've tested DNA catalysts OpenGL's.

DNA 4.7 atioglxx
- with glow
- no artifacts
- no graphic restrictions (AA, AF, etc.)
- no crashes (so far)

Conclusion: DNA 4.7 is more stable than Ati 4.7.

Glow doesn't work for Catalyst 4.8 onwards.
4.6 and 4.7 gives the same results, so use the later one.

Hope it helps...

stingerhs
03-15-2005, 02:42 PM
sweet!!! although the question is: what steps did you take, and how long did it take for you to get it working?

inquiring minds would like to know..... ;)

j3di_sean
03-15-2005, 11:30 PM
The procedure is the same for any DNA catalyst application.

1. open the program and agree to install the driver

2. DNA program will extract necessary files (INCLUDING atioglxx.dll) into a folder (of your choice) before installing.

3. A message will come up asking you to confirm if you want to remove your current driver. (I use this time to copy the atioglxx.dll from the folder). There are a few atioglxx's there, so take the one from a folder named "normal OGL" (or something of that name).

4. Once that is done, disagree to install the driver. Regardless of whether you agree or disagree to remove your current Catalyst, it gets removed anyway. So I installed Ati Catalyst 5.3 again.

j3di_sean
03-15-2005, 11:36 PM
Originally posted by stingerhs
how long did it take for you to get it working?

Get what working?

I'm assuming you're talking about the atioglxx from DNA. I just put it in the Kotor2 folder.

The extraction of atioglxx for different DNA's were a PAIN though.

stingerhs
03-15-2005, 11:59 PM
^^^^
actually, i was referring to the whole process of getting the driver from the DNA drivers to your kotor2 folder.

but, now that you've provided the how of the equation, i don't think that it would take too long. i'll give it a shot tommorrow after my 10:30 class and check my results. :)

j3di_sean
03-16-2005, 06:43 AM
Ati 4.7 - 75% chance of crashing
DNA 4.7 - 10% chance

Darth333
03-20-2005, 12:00 PM
Just wanted to point out this guide: http://www.tweakguides.com/KOTOR2_1.html for troubleshooting & optimizing Kotor 2

Acleacius
03-20-2005, 08:13 PM
Ok, I have a few new things to add as well.

Frist sadly we may have to learn to live without Omega Drviers. :(
http://www.omegadrivers.net/
I would cut and paste thou it is kinda long.

Second besides the Tweak guide Darth333 mentioned there is a ATI specific tweak guide, here.
Its possible to do some of the tweaks that Omega and DNA do which can be finetuned for your specific system.

http://www.tweakguides.com/ATICAT_1.html

Best of Luck to Omgea and Good Luck to everyone getting TSL running great.

BTW Anyone have a clue about the patch?
2 weeks ago Obsidian posted it was in testing/production and would be avalible soon.

Thanks for any info.

j3di_sean
03-21-2005, 05:05 AM
The guides are very useful, thanks!

About the patch, Acleacius, define "soon" ... (can't wait!)

stingerhs
03-24-2005, 09:15 AM
good work Acleacius in finding the guides. i'll post them at the top of both sticky's. :)

Kiwegapa
03-24-2005, 06:31 PM
The path is coming...Obsidian has hinted that it's finished or nearly finished testing.

Obsidian sent it to LucasArts a week and a half after the game was released, on the 24th of February. Since that time, the patch has been in testing and has been updated several times.

stingerhs
03-29-2005, 09:47 AM
good news with the Omega drivers. i think it'd be best if i just refer you to the update on his main page:

the link: www.omegadrivers.net

MasterIbis
05-09-2005, 08:54 PM
so how does the 5.4 omega's hold up in TSL?

stingerhs
05-09-2005, 11:41 PM
quite well, actually. i'm gettting an average of about 5-12 fps more than with the standard 5.4 Catalyst drivers on my overclocked R9700 Pro.

but don't think that will be universal. i've chosen the Omega drivers over the OEM drivers because it runs better on my machine. to see if the Omega's run better on your machine, i'd suggest doing some benchmarking to see how they hold up.

for Kotor & TSL benchmarking, i load up a save where my character is fighting a lot of enemies at one time for the high particle count test, a save on Dantooine for the, umm, Dantooine benchmark (that module has its own problems), and finally a module with relatively nothing in it (an empty module i saved in my modules folder). then i use FRAPS (http://www.fraps.com/download.php)to log and calculate my framerate scores.

its not the most accurate way of benchmarking the Kotor games (since its not rendering the exact same thing each time), but it does give you a general idea if any modifications that you just did are having any effect on the framerate.

MasterIbis
05-10-2005, 03:18 AM
lol the highest fps i ever get is in menu screens... (non game) at 215 yay while actually playing ( I loaded several different saves in different areas and surroundings) and not once did I hit over 40, and in alot of areas I hit 8-15 rather consistently which of course sucks... 30-40 is ok... its not great but it beats the pants offa 10

but my comp sucks anyway

p4 2.4, R9200 128MB, 512 ram.. I'm using the 5.4 cata with the 4.11 OGL in the kotor2 directory as well as the vertex buffer=1 bit.
I haven't overclocked my card due only to the fact that if I damage it I won't be able to replace it for at least a month

I'm grabbing another 512 ram and a geforce 6600 GT in august.. :( damn my broke self

stingerhs
05-10-2005, 09:59 AM
what, your not gonna go for and RX850?? wait, they don't offer that in an AGP 8x slot, do they? [/sarcasm] :rolleyes:

but ya, i'd have to say that money is always an obstacle. still, if you're worried about damaging your card while overclocking, try using the ATI Tool (http://www.techpowerup.com/atitool/). it has a nice feature that will safely overclock your card (by finding the 'sweet spot' between performance and too much heat). it might hold you over a bit till you get that new card. ;)

MasterIbis
05-10-2005, 12:29 PM
ty for the tip, I'll check it out

**edit** I got ATItool and was playing around with it. seems ok to me, I've OC it a little bit. I'll see whatI can get out of it :P

**edit2** default clock 250/200, the max I got without any artifacts was 290/220, this resulted in an avg increase of approx 10 fps in all my games with the exception of kotor2 :(

is it really too much to ask for a consistent 30 fps?

CTOAN
05-17-2005, 09:30 PM
Just a FYI-

I tried the Omega Drivers based off of the 5.4 Catalyst release and that seems to have resolved a lot of the graphical issues, especially the brightness. I would recommend anyone with ATI cards to try it and see the difference.

You can get them here (www.omegadrivers.net)

:x-wing:

j3di_sean
05-20-2005, 12:27 AM
Just for the fun of it I tried doing the same thing for Kotor1, for example. I have Catalyst 5.4 installed but I put int the 4.7atioglxx in the game folder. It has no effect on the game, meaning there ain't no glow...

I just downloaded the omega drivers and am going to check it out afterwards.

zac84eg
07-16-2005, 08:40 PM
i am having a similar problem as the above mentioned gamma problem, but it is in game. when ever i start the game or go to a cutscreen the screen gets very dark, though the gamma slider dosnt move. i can fix it manually each time by moving the slider a bit, but this is a very annoying bug...

i have tried editing the swini to set it higher, which worked the first time, but it still went dark at cutscreens and the next time i started the game

my specs:
windows xp pro
intel pentium 4 2.8ghz
1gig ram
radeon 9600 256mb

thanks for any help you can give

A-Dark-Power
08-23-2005, 05:05 PM
Thanks for this guide! I had problems with my ATI Card and the Dantooine Planet and now they both work fine. Thanks once again

theeautomator
09-22-2005, 08:26 PM
2.) Edit the "swkotor2.ini" file

"Disable Vertex Buffer Objects=1" works for more than just Dantooine lag while using ATI cards. I was experiencing a slightly different kind of framerate drop in all areas of KotOR2:TSL. The Dantooine lag on KotOR1 was much more severe for me, and it only happened on Dantooine. The framerate drop I experienced in KotOR2:TSL was not as severe, but it happened in every single area of the game up to Telos, and I was able to fix it while in-game. This problem even happened during the minigame racing.

I'm using an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro. I was running KotOR2:TSL on highest resolution, AA, and AF settings very smoothly. I'm using the latest Omega Driver.

Problem: I ran the game just fine, but every time I loaded a new area, my framerate dropped (No matter what settings I was using). This applied to any area change - in and out of a small room, or in and out of a large opening. The size of the area did not seem to affect the severity of the lag.

The way I dealt with this problem in-game was by:

1. Going to the in-game graphics options.
2. Making some type of graphics change. Any change - it didn't matter. For example, changing AF from 16x to 8x or vice versa.
3. Pressing OK, and resuming game.

That completely removed the frame lag. For some reason switching my graphics settings back and forth solved the problem, but I had to do ths every single time I loaded into a new area - very annoying. I don't really understand why that happened, though. This problem only happened this way in KotOR2:TSL. In KotOR1, when I attempted to change my graphics settings in game on Dantooine to remedy the lag, there were no good results.

You may want to include in the original post that changing the swkotor2.ini file completely fixes this specific problem I was having, not just on Dantooine. Also, if anyone knows the cause of the problem I was having, I'd like to learn what it is.

Edit: I re-read and realized my last paragraph wasn't very clear. This problem I was having was on Peragus and Telos, I didn't even make it to Dantooine before I fixed it. "The Dantooine Fix" title was misleading to me, and I'm sure to many other people who aren't very familiar with this game or forum if they are experiencing similar problems as I am. Basically, editing the kotor2.ini files fixes a lot of issues, as you just mentioned. That's not detailed in the original post though, which causes confusion to anyone who doesn't read past the first page.

stingerhs
09-22-2005, 11:54 PM
actually, i've never heard of that problem. in my own personal testing on my machine, i've never encountered that problem. i do know that the Lag Fix gives me a 6-7 fps boost on both games which is why i use it.

as far as my own personal diagnosis, well, it sounds like the game wasn't re-applying the graphics settings everytime you loaded a new module. so whenever you went and changed something, you forced the game to re-apply all the graphics settings, and thus return your framerate to normal. either way, its a great all around fix for the graphics, and apparently fixed an odd problem on your system.

and in case your wondering, my specs are:

Athlon 3200XP
Radeon 9700 Pro (oc @ 365 core & 340 mem)
1 GB DDR333 RAM
Audigy2 sound card

Drinking Sith
09-26-2005, 10:12 AM
Im stuck at dantoine i cant get out of the Ebon Hawk the screen just go black i have tryed Reinstalling putted the congfiguration on its lowest downloaded latest drivers Nothing works!
Guess my game is ****d up

MasterIbis
09-30-2005, 11:13 AM
5.9 cats, if you don't know they've been released and are claimed that they fix the dantooine lag Finally. hey guess what they're right it does. woot. but also.. I'm one of those people who've had major problems with terrible framerates everywhere, however in a lot of areas nbow (after 5.9) I'm getting much more tolerable fps. in some areas I was getting 15 or so fps and now I'm getting on average 25, some places still slow too a crawl but they are few and far between now... finally I can play kotor2 and actually enjoy it for a change ;)

stingerhs
10-02-2005, 02:20 AM
yeah, the 5.9 cats are supposed to be a bit more 'streamlined' than the previous drivers. my understanding is that you should see a bit of a performance boost in almost every game you own just by upgrading the drivers. i have yet to test them as i've been busy with school, but i'll get around to the testing probably sometime this week. if you want updates, i'll let you know. ;)

MasterIbis
10-02-2005, 09:55 PM
hey stinger, you use the omega's right?... I know they released the 5.9 omega's so check em out when you get a chance and post up on em :)

CTOAN
10-22-2005, 05:02 PM
hey stinger, you use the omega's right?... I know they released the 5.9 omega's so check em out when you get a chance and post up on em :)

I tried the Omega 5.9's today with KOTOR; KOTOR runs great in Dantooine now. I'll check TSL later if I get the chance.

:x-wing:

Ice88
11-27-2005, 01:15 AM
All the new ATI drivers have had the fix done which should mean the Omegas and Starstorm drivers should all work ;)

The Doctor
02-04-2006, 12:58 PM
Ok, now I have a problem. Whenever I try to start TSL, right when the tutorial should play the screen goes black. I can't download the ATI driver, as it says I don't have the software installed! BUT I DO! IT'S REALLY PISSING ME OFF!!!!

stingerhs
02-04-2006, 02:14 PM
when all else fails, install the Omega Drivers (www.omegadrivers.net). they'll give you better performance, better stability, and you don't have to worry about wierd software bugs like the one you have. ;)

The Doctor
02-04-2006, 02:25 PM
This is going to sound stupid, but all I can do there is buy actual graphics cards. Where can I get the drivers I need from that site?

stingerhs
02-04-2006, 03:54 PM
goto the quick menu on the left, and click on the 'ATI Radeon Omega Drivers' link. in the next page, choose your OS from the top list (either Win. XP/2000 or ME/98). from there, you'll get a page listing the mirrors that you can download the drivers from.

The Doctor
02-05-2006, 11:34 AM
:confused:
When I extract everything, shouldn't it run the setup? I go to the path it extracts the files to (in this case, C: Documents and Settings/Owner/Local Settings/) only to find that there is no folder known as Local Settings. I try to create one, and it says there is a folder named Local Settings in existance, and that I need to name it something else. WTF?!?!?!?

EDIT: Never mind. I created a new path for the file to go to, and it worked fine. I am, however, worried that my Local Settings folder seems to be MIA. What could I do to resolve this issue?

Ztalker
02-05-2006, 11:44 AM
I just downloaded the .exe, and just ran it. I have never faced the problems you describe though.
Maybe you could try and open it in another browser orso.

This is the D-load link i used for the newest Catalyst: https://support.ati.com/ics/support/default.asp?deptID=894&task=knowledge&questionID=640

You need to download frameworks too btw.

The Doctor
02-05-2006, 12:00 PM
I have frameworks. The Omega Driver is the only one that would install. The ATI wouldn't run. It said I didn't have the required software, even though I do.

EDIT: Thanks, Stingerhs. It works fine now!

Reclaimer
04-08-2006, 01:20 PM
I use OpenGL, but the download for the 4.11 doesn't work. What should I do?

whthehck
04-12-2006, 05:30 PM
I have the 6.2 catalyst driver with a radeon 9200 agp card, and the game woln't let me turn on frame buffer effects. Any ideas?

stingerhs
04-16-2006, 12:02 AM
^^^^
Frame Buffer Effects are supported for the Radeon 9500 series and higher. ;)

Reclaimer
04-16-2006, 12:29 AM
I use OpenGL, but the download for the 4.11 doesn't work. What should I do?

whthehck
04-17-2006, 03:33 PM
^^^^
Frame Buffer Effects are supported for the Radeon 9500 series and higher. ;)
The 9200 supposedly supports frame buffer, too.
http://www.ati.com/products/radeon9200/radeon9200/features.html

T.Nova
08-04-2006, 02:10 PM
I don't know if anyone still checks this thread, but I'm having a rather frustrating issue with my drivers. Well my last video card burned out on me (Radeon 9700 Pro), so I had to put back in an older Radeon 9200. I know it's an older video card, but both KotOR and TSL seem to "recommend" a 9200 or higher.

Anyhow the game barely gets past 8 FPS on the main menu, and in-game the frame rate can be downright annoying. So when I looked around the net (Lucasarts, Obsidian, and of course here on Lucasforums), I noticed this problem was common. So I did what seemed to be the best solution, download a previous driver. However I must have gone through this process several times last night because KotOR simply refused to except the drivers for being new. (Check the link for a picture)

http://img513.imageshack.us/img513/4261/driverissuesop8.jpg

I've attempted installing the ATI 6.5 Catalyst, The Omega 6.5 Drivers and ATI 5.9 Catalyst drivers. Each one of the them was rejected for being 'outdated'. And KotOR's frame rate doesn't improve or decrease in game, it stays around the choppy eight frames.

If you notice in the picture I've downloaded the 'driver cleaner'. I've used it to clean out ATI before I installed each new driver. However not even that seems to help. Although of course I'm not exactly sure if I'm using it on the right location.

If anyone could help, it would be greatly appreciated.

stingerhs
01-20-2007, 12:12 PM
okay, i've updated all the links in the first post mostly due to the ATI/AMD merger and ATI now having a new website.

something i noticed is that the 4.11 Catalyst Drivers are no longer listed in ATI's back-driver page. i tried looking for them at DriverHeaven.net, but the earliest version they have is only 4.12, so that's a no-go as well. anyways, if anybody finds a link to the 4.11 Catalyst Drivers, then let me know by responding here. until then, what was formerly step 3 has been removed. :)

also, i no longer have an ATI card in my system since i've upgraded from my ol' 9700 Pro to a GeForce 7800 GS. so, if someone could let me know if they'd be interested in testing out a couple of different things for performance reasons, you can also let me know by responding here as well.

GoT_MaL(a)k?
04-29-2007, 07:06 PM
Hey guys. I'm using a X1550 card, and everything is fine, except one thing, SMOKE! poision, steam etc, when I go near it my game slows wayyyy down. to the point of frustration, beacuse my system has good specs, (dual core, 2GB RAM) etc.

Anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks

Silmahtar
05-30-2007, 08:09 PM
THIS WORKED: http://www.driverheaven.net/modtool/

I followed the instuctions EXACTLY as stated, and bingo: Problems gone.

My system:
Inspiron E1505
4MB Intel Core 2 Duo processor
256MB ATI MOBILITY RADEON X1400 w/HyperMemory
Windows Vista Home Basic

If you want details, read on.

I just bought KOTOR and yep, when things went haywire on Dantooine I started trying to get some real answers. The worst was discovering that the game doesn't even support my graphics card (finally read the fine print on the box): Mobile Radeon x1400.

I'm new to this whole which-card-supports-what nonsense and I'm sorry, but I don't have room for a desktop -- I have a brand new laptop. Paid good money for it, too (and for the game) so it better work. Period.

Omega drivers almost messed my laptop up; the "Disable Vertical Buffer Objects=1" tweak didn't work. But the mod to my ATI drivers did work. Outstanding.

A few comments:

1. I completely lost my saved games. Not a huge loss since I was stuck on Dantooine, but still a pain. The save game utility had acted weird before I modded the drivers, too -- games disappeared and reappeared, but that's another topic

2. I noticed *slight* jerkiness with the modded drivers, improved somewhat when I dialed down the graphics.

3. Game crashed during the dream that marks the transition between the Swoop Race/Bastila Rescue and infiltration of the Sith Base. Luckily, I saved my game (I'm constantly saving games.)

4. On a hunch, I reinserted the "Disable Vertical Buffer Objects=1" tweak and was able to get past the dream sequence and get on with the game.

5. Some problems crashing boarding the Ebon Hawk in Tarik's hangar. Also thought I lost my save game here, too, but when I just rebooted and then restarted the game, the save was there and I was able to get on the ship.

That's all I can think of. So far so good. Dantooine's been working like a dream, and even seems to run smoother than Taris. Go figure... I'm just thrilled to get back in the game!

S:.M:.

Starfyre
07-18-2007, 01:30 PM
I see that this has been fixed for the ATI vid cards. Does anyone have a solution to the FPS problem on Dantooine for the Nvidia?

vanir
11-02-2008, 12:35 AM
I'm having severe problems with both frame buffer effects and fps around smoke/steam, with an ATI x1600GT.
AMD 64 3200+ MMX 3DNow
1.5G DDR1 (PC3200)
Radeon x1600GT/512DDR2 VRAM/Pixel3.0
Realtek AC97 audio/7.1optical support

It's not a laptop card so I'm hunting for a similar fix to the mobility mod, but does anyone else have experience sorting cards made after the x800 limitation on tsl?
Oh cat/drivers are the latest 8.1/09-2008

Have tried ATI Tray Tools with little effect. Best I can get my fps on the load screen with the smoke is 18, whilst I did manage 240-odd on the next screen that has no smoke. That's a tremendous hit for smoke effects, this game really hates Radeons.

Any ideas?

Sven_Q45
06-01-2010, 05:16 PM
Ive an ATI card, too.
I had a hard drive crash! Now Ive a new hard drive on warranty! And now on Dantooine (Khoonda) the graphical building is damn slow. I mean really slow! Like a C64. :D
Do I have to install the new catalyst driver?

I play it with Frame buffer, smooth shadows, grass, AA @ 8 and AF @ 16! 8) On KOTOR 1 and 2!
The best settings were never a problem. Except now.

Please can anyone help?

Q
06-01-2010, 05:46 PM
Please post your system specs using the game's configuration utility:
Post your system specs
Sometimes we're just not going to be able to help you if we don't know what kind of hardware you have on your machine. If you don't know what you have on your machine, then follow these steps below:
Bring up the launcher menu for Kotor 1 or 2.
Click on "Configure".
Click the "Scan Hardware" button on the lower center of the window.
Click "Yes" to continue.
Click "Details" to view your system specs.
Click "Save Report" and save the file to your desktop.
Whenever you post your problem, open the file you just saved and copy and paste the contents to your post.
Also, please specify which version of Windows you're using, because the game can't recognize anything newer than XP.

Sven_Q45
06-03-2010, 03:17 PM
Thank you, nevertheless but (just) installing of a new graphics driver and the newest version of the catalyst worked! :)

Q
06-13-2010, 03:55 PM
I've recently made the discovery that, due to newer drivers, the Dantooine lag fix is now necessary for every installation of the KotOR games, regardless of OS or hardware configuration. This includes DX9 graphics cards.

Knight Of Honor
06-30-2010, 05:59 AM
Im a little green on computers, and im considering to update my catalyst driver, but i want to know what version im currently running before i do anything.

So i need to ask how i can find and identify the current catalyst driver version on my PC. My computer has a Radeon 9600 graphic card. I use
Windows XP Home Edition.

How do i install the new driver? Can i just run the installation without doing anything else, and it will overwrite the older version?

Darth-Talon
09-01-2011, 03:19 AM
http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?p=2789889#post2789889
Wondering if you could help me out a bit? Much appreciated if you could spare some time for me. :)