PDA

View Full Version : Nunchaku

Curt-Man
02-16-2005, 12:56 PM
well i really want some nunchuks but i'm pretty sure my mom or dad won't give them to me, and i don't know where in canada i can buy a pair, and i also don't have a credit card so i can't order one, so anyone know any persuasive ways i can get my parents to buy me some? or if you live in canada knwo where to buy some?

BawBag™
02-16-2005, 01:10 PM
Just buy a very small skipping rope with wooden handles.

Jed
02-16-2005, 01:24 PM
Uh, I dunno, listen to your parents? There's probably a good reason why they don't want you to have nunchucks.

El Sitherino
02-16-2005, 01:26 PM
If you do get a set, I want video of you putting yourself in a coma when you mess up.

TK-8252
02-16-2005, 01:48 PM
And nunchucks are what? :confused:

Boba Rhett
02-16-2005, 01:54 PM
Nunchucks:

http://www.gungfu.com/pics_general/pics_weapons/nunchucks_round_speed_chucks.jpg

C'mon, Cowabunga, dude!

Say goodbye to your testicles if you get a pair. You will be hitting yourself there. Perhaps go for a padded set? They can't drop a ne'er-do-well but at least you'll be able to father children.

Curt-Man
02-16-2005, 02:01 PM
thats why i shall get an instructional video with them, but these are the ones i want:

http://www.karatedepot.com/wp-nu-30.html

so they are padded so they hurt less, anywho its a big want on my part. and so this thread isn't pointless it will be now known as what weapon(s) do you have or want?

BawBag™
02-16-2005, 02:06 PM
In all seriousness Curt-Man, you maybe should re-consider this purchase.

An instructional video won't be able to give you the full potential the training required to actually wield these things would.

Not that I'm saying buy them, learn one or two little tricks and bash everyone, but whats the point when you've no proper idea how to use them?

:)

TiE23
02-16-2005, 02:08 PM
You'll get whacked in the face, balls, and hands so many freaking times.......
STOP PLAYING NINJA GAIDEN! ITS NOT THAT COOL! :D

TiE

MTV2
02-16-2005, 03:37 PM
numchuks are illegal aren't they?

Spider AL
02-16-2005, 03:43 PM
Depends where you live.

I prefer to refer to nunchaku as "flails" as they fall under that generic category of weapon. Reason being, that flails of all sorts are pretty much always more dangerous to the inexperienced wielder than they are to the opponent.

The motion of the "free end" of flails is comparitively unpredictable, which is what makes them dangerous to newbies... but paradoxically also makes them one of the more dangerous weapons to face, because seemingly erratic motion can conceal a carefully planned strike.

In short, the skill of using flails properly take years to learn. You're better off learning how to wield a baseball bat or a short stick if you're looking for a self-defense-related weapon. I mean come on, you won't be carrying flails around the streets with you.

MTV2
02-16-2005, 04:02 PM
while your getting numchuks, you should also get a good hard helmet and jockey;)

Boba Rhett
02-16-2005, 04:07 PM
Or better yet, a jockey with a helmet.

http://i.timeinc.net/Life/classicpictures/derby/jockey.jpg

Redwing
02-16-2005, 04:34 PM
Originally posted by Jed
Uh, I dunno, listen to your parents? There's probably a good reason why they don't want you to have nunchucks.

This is the most hilarious quote EVER. :D

Or maybe it's just me who finds the idea of someone buying nunchuks for fun and amusement to be amazingly funny :D

Mike Windu
02-16-2005, 05:02 PM
I'ma go with the rest of these people here and say that you shouldn't get nunchucks... just cos you don't have the training required to not kill yourself with them :p

http://img112.exs.cx/img112/9350/turtlelove24yg.th.jpg

"God I love being a turtle!"

:D

Troopr-Undr-Fir
02-16-2005, 05:22 PM
I'd say go for it, but if you're not doing it to strengthen you hand-eye coordination, I'd say nay.

And sinc you do have parents, I'd also say nay.

why not join a class, like Kendo or Epee?

I'm probably not the best person to be telling you not to do anything dangerous like that since I've been trying to create my own sword fighting style, and I recently purchased a set of actual katana's for myself, I was practicing with a bunch of pvc pipes before hand, so that may be a route to go if you want to wield something dangerous.

I can whip those babies the air with great accuracy now, even when I sharpen them, I have enough confidence to use them.

Just keep that in mind.

Curt-Man
02-16-2005, 06:28 PM
i don't see why you guys are so scared, i would first buy foam or rubber ones then go to wooden, besides, my friend bought sais, he had no clue how to use them, he now is so crazy with them.

Mike Windu
02-16-2005, 06:50 PM
We're not scared. We just know that you cannot wield them properly without training.

lukeiamyourdad
02-16-2005, 07:03 PM
Meh, I'd buy them just for fun, to put them in some glass box for me to look at and touch them sometimes.

But a katana is so much better.

Troopr-Undr-Fir
02-16-2005, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by lukeiamyourdad
But a katana is so much better.

werd...

I still have yet to find a better workout than my sword play.

Mike Windu
02-16-2005, 07:19 PM
Running? :p

I like playing with plastic sabers >_> but I don't have a katana.

I'll get one sooner or later and chop stuff with it. :D

TK-8252
02-16-2005, 07:26 PM
Originally posted by Curt-Man
i don't see why you guys are so scared

Because we want to be able to have children. ;)

El Sitherino
02-16-2005, 07:31 PM
*hugs his functional katanas* Chop-chop.

lukeiamyourdad
02-16-2005, 07:35 PM
These (http://www.blades-uk.com/view_items.php?cat_id=10&start=0) weapons are so cool. I wish I had the money to get some of them.

Troopr-Undr-Fir
02-16-2005, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by Mike Windu
Running? :p

I like playing with plastic sabers >_> but I don't have a katana.

I'll get one sooner or later and chop stuff with it. :D

Yeah, but that isn't as mentally challenging as sword play is.

Oh well, my opinion anyways

acdcfanbill
02-16-2005, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by Mike Windu
We're not scared. We just know that you cannot wield them properly without training. exactly, as opposed to the weapons you can pick up and be experts with immediatly... or anything for that matter. no one is an expert with something the first time they use it, granted he would probably excel faster with some kind of tutor, one can learn new skills by oneself.

wassup
02-16-2005, 09:23 PM
Just try not to get a Darwin Award.

Pie™
02-17-2005, 07:48 AM
Screw ninja weapons, you should get Oversized Knives! (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v42/MMMPIE/vargwannabe2.jpg) :D

Curt-Man
02-17-2005, 01:16 PM
wow, that is funny, you guys are all like no don't get a blunt smallish weapon get a long sharp metal weapon that you could end up chopping your leg off! besides, learning something on your own and becoming a master at it is so much more cool.
also i have practices swinging around ropes with wieghted ends and stuff so i'm pretty good already. granted i will hurt myself but that is part of the process.

El Sitherino
02-17-2005, 02:16 PM
I didn't say that, I just asked for a video when you clocked yourself. And I hugged my katanas at a later period in the thread.

TiE23
02-17-2005, 02:17 PM
Get the nunchucks, then get this Shirt (https://www.trippintees.com/product_info.php?products_id=107)
Then just run around outside with a shirt made into a ninja hat screaming "Must get eggrolls to customer!" :D

TiE

El Sitherino
02-17-2005, 02:27 PM
What the hell is a ninja hat?

Dath Maximus
02-17-2005, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by InsaneSith
What the hell is a ninja hat?

you don't wanna know, lets just say its like those things sumo wrestlers where, infact they arent like them, they are them, you simply put a used on on your head

Mike Windu
02-17-2005, 03:49 PM
Originally posted by acdcfanbill
exactly, as opposed to the weapons you can pick up and be experts with immediatly... or anything for that matter. no one is an expert with something the first time they use it, granted he would probably excel faster with some kind of tutor, one can learn new skills by oneself.

He'd have a better chance of not hitting himself if he wielded a katana or something of the sort.

Nunchucks are erratic in their attack... because you're flinging them... as opposed to katanas where you know where your swing is going...

Curt-Man
02-17-2005, 04:06 PM
well i never took advice to heart so i'm still getting them, probably a padded pair and a wooden pair.

Redwing
02-17-2005, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by lukeiamyourdad
These (http://www.blades-uk.com/view_items.php?cat_id=10&start=0) weapons are so cool. I wish I had the money to get some of them.

My friend has Sting and Anduril on her wall.

I hate her. ;)

XERXES
02-20-2005, 10:29 PM
I have the Sting that glows blue. Its ghetto though, the cap on the end of the hilt doesnt stay on. Its hilarious when people mess with it that don't know its broken. It falls off and the batteries come flying out and they look around like. "I didnt do it!"

I may get Glamdring soon.

Nalukai
02-23-2005, 09:27 PM
Nun-Chuck skills... Bo-staff skills... dude -chicks likes guys with SKILLZ!!!!

Black Knight of Keno
02-24-2005, 10:06 AM
Curt, seriously, don't get nunchukus... I learned it the hard way at my martial-art's gym. I started messing with the nunchukus usually on wall, and I hit myself on my knee, on my head, on my... eeh..., and ... well, let's say I was pretty beat up after that... NEVER touch those without proper training

TiE23
02-24-2005, 02:18 PM
Just get two blow-up weiner things that you get at NBA games and tie them together. Bingo! Instant non-leathal balloon nunchucks!

TiE

BongoBob
02-24-2005, 07:58 PM
Yes, even though the weight would be completely off, go ahead.
And yes, I know that you're being sarcastic.

I say go for it, as long as you always practice in front of a webcam so when you crack yourself in the nads, we can all see it and laugh at you :p

Curt-Man
02-25-2005, 12:21 PM
Will do! but i don't know i can get them, i don't hav any money and i have no means of getting anywhere.