View Full Version : RPing Questions
02-22-2005, 03:37 PM
I just have a few...
1. Where would be a good thread to start?
2. Do I have to refer to my char in first person?
02-22-2005, 05:10 PM
First off, hello and welcome to the Dantooine Theatre Company (And the forums) Now for your answers:
1. Depends. Find a thread with a good compelling story that interests YOU and that you can contribute well to its story.
2. This depends on the situation. Generally, your character will speak in first person and your character's thoughts should be written in third person. However, some thoughts can be presented in first person, depending on what type of effect you want them to have. Just read a few posts to see how it is done. There are a few ways to do it but they all follow the same basic rules. Just look around and you will get the hang of it and develop your style. It is very much like writing a work of fiction in literature. Also, as a side note, you as a person should rarely, if ever, refer to your own character in third person. You can however, and this is more common, speak about a situation or another person's character as yourself and not as your character. If you do either of these, however, be sure to mark it OOC (Out of Character) so people know that it is you speaking and not your character. I would also suggest reading the stickied "Read Me!" post that Raven did as well.
Hope that helped some. As you see, there are not just simple "yes or no" answers to the questions. :D
02-23-2005, 03:52 AM
What i did when i first started was find Rps that were fairly new but have started to get in to the story but in a plase where new people would not be destructive but constructive to the story. a thread with 10-25 posts for example.
02-23-2005, 05:52 AM
well, what i always like to do is to just simply tell a story with a lot of detail and to actually have a character that just seems real. of course, i set up my dialog so that its easier to read than a novel, but the idea remains the same: just tell a story that interacts with the stories that the other users are posting. :)
03-19-2005, 03:31 AM
sorry i have some question too.. im a text-rp N00b..
1. can u introduce new characters halfway through a storyline?
2. can u kill ur characters?
3. can u kill other ppls characters?
4. when does the thread end
5. do u have to introduce every new character in the thread or do second-rate characters need not be introduced.. ie bartenders. a local droid etc..
6. can u add antagonists to the thread?
7. can u have more than one setting .. eg have baddies doin stuff some place faraway from the main characters?
8. Proper grammar reqd?
9. what prevents ppl from screwing around with the characters? eg. sendin ur character off alone/left behind.. killin ur character.. love interests etc.
answers to these q's would be much appreciated:)
03-19-2005, 12:29 PM
3) No ((Unless you get their and the thread masters permisison))
4) When the thread owner wants it to
5) Your mai nchars, just bartenders taht you controll once need not be introduced.
8) Semi-PRoper. As long as it's readable and we knwo what you are talkign about.
9) The rules
03-19-2005, 05:27 PM
tanxs for that LukeKatarn.. much appreciated
03-20-2005, 01:54 PM
You're welcome. Have any questions, go ahead and ask me.
vBulletin®, Copyright ©2000-2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.