PDA

View Full Version : Set Phasers™ to Stun


jon_hill987
03-02-2005, 09:57 AM
http://www.newscientist.com/article.ns?id=dn7077

I had no idea laser weapons were possable yet.

LightNinja
03-02-2005, 10:05 AM
I dont know why ppl want to invent them, i think that the normal guns are just too much-after clicing the link-ah well the US goverment, why they constantly create new weapons if they actually have new weapons?

IG-64
03-02-2005, 10:07 AM
hmm, that sounds fun.

:p



A better solution: temp paraylsis guns, without the pain.

El Sitherino
03-02-2005, 10:20 AM
We've had weapons grade lasers for quite a while. About 3 years actually. What we've done though is using bolts.

But this looks like it could be worse... I don't know, we'll have to see how things unfold.

I still like my ideas for non-lethal conflict disruption. The titty bomb. A shuttle with a payload just full of beautiful women. Drop that in an area of conflict and watch the men become paralyzed in a hormonal fit.

Prime
03-02-2005, 10:23 AM
I still prefer an army of monkeys...

MTV2
03-02-2005, 02:49 PM
star wars is coming to life:eek:

TheOutrider
03-02-2005, 02:58 PM
New book title.

"DS-Day, the day America turned into the Death Star."



:D

Nalukai
03-02-2005, 03:52 PM
Awesome!

Note to self.... check Ebay in 2007...

TiE23
03-02-2005, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by InsaneSith
I still like my ideas for non-lethal conflict disruption. The titty bomb. A shuttle with a payload just full of beautiful women. Drop that in an area of conflict and watch the men become paralyzed in a hormonal fit.
"I know a way to end the war. We just take a blimp and paint it up like a giant tit and fly it over the Middle East during a confrentation. 'Oh, oh!!! Look at the tit!! TIT!!!!' "
~Denis Leary

:p

TiE

Darth Groovy
03-02-2005, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by InsaneSith
We've had weapons grade lasers for quite a while. About 3 years actually. What we've done though is using bolts.

But this looks like it could be worse... I don't know, we'll have to see how things unfold.

I still like my ideas for non-lethal conflict disruption. The titty bomb. A shuttle with a payload just full of beautiful women. Drop that in an area of conflict and watch the men become paralyzed in a hormonal fit.

:disaprove

*sighs*

Astrotoy7
03-02-2005, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by InsaneSith
....I still like my ideas for non-lethal conflict disruption. The titty bomb. A shuttle with a payload just full of beautiful women. Drop that in an area of conflict and watch the men become paralyzed in a hormonal fit.

what, as if men havent fought over women before..... that idea sux ! It'll lead to even more trouble !

mtfbwya

tags
03-05-2005, 11:25 PM
laser huh?

think it can be deflected bye a mirror like on spaceballs?

Vikinor
03-06-2005, 01:24 AM
Start the Rebellion now....the Empire is coming. And the laser can probably burn through the mirror. I wonder if the will make laser swords? :D

Nalukai
03-06-2005, 03:45 AM
a laser sword would be nearly impossible since a lasers distance from the point of creation is infinite unless something is in its path to stop it and the blade itself would be weightless and unable to direct a balanced swing.

the only way possible would for it to be confined in a tube which would do no good or have it streamed to the tip of a rod the length of the sword you would want it... even then it wouldnt be a laser more of an electrical current for it to maintain shape around the metal rod.

i guess the end of the rod could be reflective for it to consistantly bounce back and forth between the tip and the hilt but nothing would be able to stop it once it started.

hehe maybe I should start some development theory... :D

Hermie
03-06-2005, 07:01 AM
First the battle droid thingies and now this...
Oh, and we musnt forget the Star Wars program during the cold war...







Perhaps its time to move Hollywood out of the USA...

Doomie
03-06-2005, 07:16 AM
Start the Rebellion now....the Empire is coming. And the laser can probably burn through the mirror. I wonder if the will make laser swords?

Actually, since a laser is light, it would be reflected by the mirror.

jon_hill987
03-06-2005, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by Doomie
Actually, since a laser is light, it would be reflected by the mirror.

No, a powerful laser would just melt the silver on the back, it would then go right through, very shiny stainless steel would probably be the best defence.

Vikinor
03-06-2005, 11:25 AM
You have crushed my dreams of a laser sword with your brainiac theories. :p

kipperthefrog
03-06-2005, 12:19 PM
Here are people working on the lightsabers.

this is a group that went out to ask the experts. they can make one like...

-Just see for yourself- (http://www.exn.ca/starwars/plasmasaber.cfm)

Vikinor
03-06-2005, 02:19 PM
I only skimmed through it but I did see the word lightdagger instead of lightsaber. What a dissappointment. A dagger. Oh well technology WILL advance. :D

El Sitherino
03-06-2005, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by VikingLarz
I only skimmed through it but I did see the word lightdagger instead of lightsaber. What a dissappointment. A dagger. Oh well technology WILL advance. :D Try reading next time.

I don't see why anyone would be surprised that it'd be easier to make a lightdagger than it would be to make a lightsaber.

But anyway, lightsabers (aka laserswords) are far from impossible. It's just at this point we don't have the technology capable of creating one like you'd see in the movies (controlled beam of light).
And if we can find a way to control light (as it has mass) we can be able to control length and such. Theoretically though.

Vikinor
03-06-2005, 02:40 PM
How long is it going to take before we can do all that?

El Sitherino
03-06-2005, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by VikingLarz
How long is it going to take before we can do all that? It all depends on research and funding.

Vikinor
03-06-2005, 02:44 PM
Uh....this is a n00b question but....how do you do that thing where you quote the other people? And I bet if Bill Gates funded it buisness would boom right? Am I the only one excited about laser swords here?

El Sitherino
03-06-2005, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by VikingLarz
Uh....this is a n00b question but....how do you do that thing where you quote the other people?

http://www.lucasforums.com/images/quote.gif

Originally posted by VikingLarz
And I bet if Bill Gates funded it buisness would boom right?

Possibly, but I don't see it helping him financially.

Originally posted by VikingLarz
Am I the only one excited about laser swords here?
It'd be interesting but the obvious military applications of it scare me. Especially with police brutality on the rise (again) in some places.

Vikinor
03-06-2005, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by InsaneSith
http://www.lucasforums.com/images/quote.gif

Did i do this right?


Possibly, but I don't see it helping him financially.

He could market the products to big time SW fans.


It'd be interesting but the obvious military applications of it scare me. Especially with police brutality on the rise (again) in some places.

That's why they will probably be outlawed before anyone can get their hands on them....unless they are very rich.

El Sitherino
03-06-2005, 03:09 PM
Originally posted by VikingLarz
That's why they will probably be outlawed before anyone can get their hands on them. And we all know how well banning something works :rolleyes:

Vikinor
03-06-2005, 03:21 PM
Yes we do. Especially the ones who have ben banned. :p I have a feeling someone is trying to get me banned(It is no one who has posted in this thread) And did I do the quote thing right? It looks like I messed up.

El Sitherino
03-06-2005, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by VikingLarz
Yes we do. Especially the ones who have ben banned. :p I have a feeling someone is trying to get me banned(It is no one who has posted in this thread) And did I do the quote thing right? It looks like I messed up. ... What the hell does any of that have to do with the topic at hand?

I was talking about weapons banning, which doesn't work.

Vikinor
03-06-2005, 03:46 PM
Weapons banning works. You aren't allowed to own certain guns. And that is a weapon ban.

El Sitherino
03-06-2005, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by VikingLarz
Weapons banning works. You aren't allowed to own certain guns. And that is a weapon ban. And yet people still can. Thus it doesn't work.

Vikinor
03-06-2005, 03:56 PM
People still can what? Own the weapon?

Rogue Nine
03-06-2005, 03:57 PM
Guys, take it to PM or IM. It's really fecking annoying to see the same people every other post.

Nalukai
03-06-2005, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by VikingLarz
Weapons banning works. You aren't allowed to own certain guns. And that is a weapon ban.


Black Market > banning

jon_hill987
03-06-2005, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by kipperthefrog
Here are people working on the lightsabers.

this is a group that went out to ask the experts. they can make one like...

-Just see for yourself- (http://www.exn.ca/starwars/plasmasaber.cfm)

I thought plasma in a magnetic field would work better than a laser, the only real problem is the power source.

the energy in a glass of water could distroy the planet, if you could get it out....