PDA

View Full Version : Please, laugh at EA now

lukeiamyourdad
03-22-2005, 06:45 PM
http://rpg.boomtown.net/en_uk/articles/art.view.php?id=7719

That'll show them.

tags
03-22-2005, 07:25 PM
no reason to laugh, they were a good company and there goin down now, i think it sucks...

Hermie
03-22-2005, 07:35 PM
What I really didn't understand about that article, was that this is bad news for the entire game industry, becauseif EA can't succeed, then who can.

Oh, I don't know, maybe the competetors that actually ARE outselling them? I think that means that they make money, ergo are doing well...

Tyrion
03-22-2005, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by tags
no reason to laugh, they were a good company and there goin down now, i think it sucks...

It's clear you've had your head stuck under a rather large rock for the past few months. :xp:

Anyways, hopefully this is the beginning of the end for the EA monopoly. If we're lucky we'll have seperate development companies flourishing as a result, but chances are that we'll just end up with another monopoly.

TK-8252
03-22-2005, 07:47 PM

Exactly, because a company that abuses its employees, customers, and the gaming industry, is a good company. :roleyess:

tags
03-22-2005, 07:50 PM
this thread is about EA GAMES, isn't it?

El Sitherino
03-22-2005, 08:44 PM
But some analysts see this as bad news for the whole of industry, if EA can't succeed, then who can.
Assheads.

Glad to see em go, past 3 years most of their games sucked. A few good ones came around, but not by their doing.

Derc
03-22-2005, 09:21 PM
Successful games from rivals such as World of Warcraft, Halo 2 and GTA were seen as having a major impact on EA sales.
Well duh. :D Those are actually good games.

Vikinor
03-22-2005, 09:47 PM
I don't care for EA, but I do like the Battlefield sereis. What's going to actually happen to their "good" games?

BongoBob
03-22-2005, 09:49 PM
Well I'm sure that spending ungodly amounts of money on licenses and crap like that also played a factor in it.

All your base are belong to EA :cyb3:

shukrallah
03-22-2005, 09:52 PM
I like their 007 games. But to be honest, the way they treat their employees is unacceptable in any ethical business owner's perspective, and should be unacceptable in the public's eyes too.

Come on, working 7 days a week, 12 hours a day? Oh wait... if they "behave" they get out early on Saturday at 6:30. :rolleyes:

Its history though, every empire comes crashing down eventually. Although I can't see EA going anywhere for a long while.

ET Warrior
03-23-2005, 12:30 AM
this thread is about EA GAMES, isn't it?

Yes, the company who has caused me to instigate my first ever boycott. :)

I delight in their suffering! Long live WoW :D

Tokarev
03-23-2005, 01:11 AM
Long live EA's competitors and the downfall of EA! Perhaps slanted, but hey... They ruin franchises and make them a name brand alone and they just keep mass producing crap.. It's time for them to go.

TiE23
03-23-2005, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by lukeiamyourdad
Please, laugh at EA now.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v123/Tie23/ha-ha.jpg

TiE

CapNColostomy
03-23-2005, 01:25 AM
EA Games kick ass. Don't believe me? Who cares? I like alot of their games and will keep buying them as long as they keep making good ones. Fight Night Round 2 is currently dominating my PS2 game time, and the BF games are in regular rotation on my pc. So they've thrown a Wal Mart style monopoly on the gaming industry. BFD. Quit whining. WoW? What is that? Oh yeah, that crap game where little monsters and **** have silly little circles around their tiny little feet. EA will probably buy the rights to that piece of crap in the near future. So EA doesn't own WoW. I'm sure that really hurts their sales. :rolleyes:

And what's all this nonsense about EA treating their employees poorly? News to me. I'd ask for a source, but fact is I don't care. I'm sure most of the same people bitching about that sort of thing are wearing name brand clothing that was made in a third world sweat shop somewhere. Hypocrites. You can't stand to see someone doing better than you. How come the law of survival of the fittest applies to every thing but major corporations?

narfblat
03-23-2005, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by TiE 23
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v123/Tie23/ha-ha.jpg

TiE Good job, Tie. I was thinking about that, but I was too lazy to look for or edit a picture of Nelson.

"EA Sports, it's in the game!"

replced by:

"EA Dorks, they're kinda lame!"

TiE23
03-23-2005, 02:12 AM
Originally posted by narfblat
Good job, Tie. I was thinking about that, but I was too lazy to look for or edit a picture of Nelson.

"EA Sports, it's in the game!"

replced by:

"EA Dorks, they're kinda lame!" Danke. :D

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v123/Tie23/111cig_monopoly.jpg
Ehh, Im going to bed >_>

TiE

ET Warrior
03-23-2005, 03:45 AM
Originally posted by CapNColostomy
And what's all this nonsense about EA treating their employees poorly? News to me.

Well you can hardly make a relevant comment to something you obviously have no knowledge about eh? :p

So EA doesn't own WoW. I'm sure that really hurts their sales.
EA shares fell 13 percent on the news, it's the first time the company has issued a profit warning. Successful games from rivals such as World of Warcraft, Halo 2 and GTA were seen as having a major impact on EA sales.

Why yes, it certainly DOES hurt their sales.

Astrotoy7
03-23-2005, 04:57 AM
I dont see the big deal.... EA is so freakin huge, with its subsidiaries and offshoots, they distribute(they distribute Lucasarts titles here in Australia) more than any other game co... this is likely to show up in their expenditure vs profits...

This doesnt mean the company is about to fold. Investments Microsoft make fail spectacularly, yet they dont make it to the swamp, to be dissected by the swamps highly skilled post pubescent and frat boy analysts...

WoW... not my cup of tea. Whereas astro is always up for a great social game of FIFA Soccer or NHL etc.

at the end of the day, this is all about freakin MONEY. No one give a flying fruit about what is the best game engine, what has the gameplay to make the gaming universe happy. If this was all about labour of love style of games, we'd obviously have much much less to choose from and much less competition in this market.....

ET, put your monopoly money where your mouth is and linky us to some news source refs about EA mistreating their employees. Sure it might be true, but you dont expect us to take your word for it, you are after all a tad biased on this issue :p

mtfbwya

Lynk Former
03-23-2005, 05:03 AM
^ That comin from the guy who screams "nintendo is kiddy" any chance he can get XD lol

let people have their satisfaction in seeing a company that ate up so many others hurt a little in some way.

Black Knight of Keno
03-23-2005, 05:16 AM
Aww, I'll miss the good old EA-start at every game... Ah... Even if they have bought rights to many games and made them worse doesn't mean their bad. It's the ones doing the games that suck @$$ pretty badly... Don't blame EA

Yeah, just kidding :D

El Sitherino
03-23-2005, 05:20 AM
Originally posted by Astrotoy7

ET, put your monopoly money where your mouth is and linky us to some news source refs about EA mistreating their employees. Sure it might be true, but you dont expect us to take your word for it, you are after all a tad biased on this issue :p
Find it yourself, it was posted way back.

CapNColostomy
03-23-2005, 05:25 AM
Seeing as how everyone here clearly hates EA, I have to wonder. Where did they get so filthy ****ing rich? I mean, nobody here would ever buy a game from these filthy rat bastard child molesting whore cocksucker grandmother raping evil tyrants, right? Were the people making these games turning right around and buying them by the truckload themselves on payday? Surely EA didn't build their fortune on Astro's and my money alone.

Astrotoy7
03-23-2005, 05:43 AM
yes, my money, yes :D

ah, the CapN has discovered the cock+sucker loophole. Its the LFN equivalent of the evil mirror universe in Star Trek :D

mtfbwya

Lynk Former
03-23-2005, 06:03 AM
do what everyone else is doing... blame it on the "casual gamer"

Astrotoy7
03-23-2005, 06:13 AM
Originally posted by Lynk Former
do what everyone else is doing... blame it on the "casual gamer"

aw, cmon what the hell is that supposed to mean. Someone who has a xbox/ps2/GC and only plays it once a week is just as valuable to the game Co.s as someone who plays everyday. They still fork out for the console and games. Which = money(or in the case of the GC - their parents money ....JK Lynk, dont start sobbin again !)

mtfbwya

Lynk Former
03-23-2005, 06:35 AM
what the hell is your problem? i was being sarcastic O.o

El Sitherino
03-23-2005, 07:11 AM
*shrugs* I don't hate EA, I dislike their business practices. But to me they haven't made a decent game in years.

RebelScum!
03-23-2005, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by ET Warrior
Yes, the company who has caused me to instigate my first ever boycott. :)

I delight in their suffering! Long live WoW :D

.....If you boycotted EA then why did you get Third Age...you said it rocked the socks like five months ago...don't tell me you made it because of that game....btw I love EA....when I see a sweet release I hope its EA!....*Walks to stand beside Astro and CapN*

El Sitherino
03-23-2005, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by RebelScum!
.....If you boycotted EA then why did you get Third Age...you said it rocked the socks like five months ago... 5 months ago we didn't know they abused their employees, and they weren't trying to have a monopoly on the sports game genre.

Alegis
03-23-2005, 10:14 AM
Who would ever think a MMORPG would swallow so many casual fps gamers (at least for that included month).

If you boycotted EA then why did you get Third Age...you said it rocked the socks like five months ago..

I don't think EA bought those licenses that long ago.

Hopefully this boycotted their plans to take over the EArth

TiE23
03-23-2005, 11:03 AM
http://www.gamespot.com/company/eagames.html
Every freakin EA game out and coming out.

I don't really hate them, its just that I hate seeing them buy companies all over to get money, and have no competition.
Ubi Soft is the best game maker anyway :D

TiE

Prime
03-23-2005, 12:03 PM
ET, put your monopoly money where your mouth is and linky us to some news source refs about EA mistreating their employees. Sure it might be true, but you dont expect us to take your word for it, you are after all a tad biased on this issue :p Actually, this is in fact true. It has been in the news in several places. For example:

http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/business/ea-faces-class-action-suit-025524.php
http://www.livejournal.com/users/ea_spouse/
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/11/11/news_6112998.html
http://www.jaani.net/view/2005/02/23/ea-employees-class-action-lawsuit
http://news.com.com/Electronic+Arts+faces+overtime+lawsuit/2100-1043_3-5450316.html
http://biz.gamedaily.com/features.asp?article_id=8323

lukeiamyourdad
03-23-2005, 12:04 PM
The EA hate wave didn't start until they tried to gain a monopoly on the sports gaming genre.

And we don't like monopolies do we?

swphreak
03-23-2005, 12:13 PM
Meh. Everyone has their own personal opinion about what games suck, so not bothering to comment on that.

As for the employee mistreatments. I could care less if all they're doing is crying on LJ. I believe there are certain labor laws, and if EA is breaking them, it's the employees' job to do something about it. So I could really care less about that until they do something.

As for the comment about "If the monopoly can't win, who will" comment in article.... we need to beat them with a hose.

Frankly, companies don't always win-win all the time. They're bound to hit some snags on the way. Of course, I'm betting the moola they forked over for the sports contracts, and then having other companies still release certain sports game isn't helping their wallets get bigger.

toms
03-23-2005, 12:34 PM
EA and UbiSoft don't really make that many games... they produce them. So they are more like Fox and Universal in the movie industry.

Its their own fault. The games industry has become like the movie industry... where they rely on a few MAJOR hits to make all their profits. Most movie blockbusters don't make a profit (until the video and dvd stage anyway) and they rely on getting one or two huge hits (spiderman, lord of the rings etc..) to make all their money.

So even though there is such a massive industry with so many customers and so much money involved profit and loss becomes a lottery of hoping for that ONE BIG HIT.

Which is why loads of apparently successful studios have gone down the drain.

Prime
03-23-2005, 12:56 PM
In the end, if you want superior profits, make superior games.

MTV2
03-23-2005, 01:03 PM
they can't be going down, i've paid so much money to try and get a scolarship for them and try to work there.

STOP LAUGHING AT THEM! I hate it when people think that EA is crap, they aren't, they have great games and reat graphics, they make the best NHL games, they use actual players and what not.

ET Warrior
03-23-2005, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by MTV2
they make the best NHL games,

I actually think Sega's ESPN NHL 2k5 was just as good as NHL 2005, and it was 30 bucks cheaper. The NHL series has been the exact same freaking game for the past 4 + years, with a slight boost in graphics and a little showy addition that doesn't really affect anything.

Their James Bond games have sucked since day 1.

The Third Age was a pretty cool game, but it was also pretty short, no replay value, and the ending was so ridiculously stupid I almost vomited.

So not ONLY do they treat their employees like hell, and use their money to put the other companies out of business instead of putting that money into developing better games, the games they DO make are carbon copies of games they ALREADY made.

EA games can rot in fiery hell. :p

Vikinor
03-23-2005, 04:13 PM
I don't really have a problem with EA. I am learning lots about them in this thread though. Hey EA! I like WoW! And I like Halo2!

Lynk Former
03-23-2005, 08:34 PM
The problem is that EA isn't responsible for Warcraft or The Sims or any of its other games, it just absorbed the companies who make the games so then they become EA games.
If I painted some paintings and people liked them, but then I sold out to Sithy and suddenly I was creating paintings but Sithy was getting the credit for it, I don't think my fan following would be very happy with that.

This whole EA hating thing doesn't occur just cause people have nothing to do, people have their reasons and not everyone has the same reason. So then suddenly have A LOT of people who have something in common.

MTV2
03-23-2005, 10:02 PM

EA games can rot in fiery hell. :p
they cant, but u can:mad:

whoever laughs at EA is a discrace to video games.

i know people that work there and theres nothing wrong about EA.

ESPN 2k5 was 30 bucks cheaper? 30$? well if u take an extra 5-10 minutes(depending on where u live) u can go to the EA place and get there games there for $19.99cnd brand spanking new.

i hate it when people criticise companies when they dont even know how it works, or how much effort they put in to try and making great games.:mad:
they use the real things(nascar,nhl,nba,etc.) for there games, i dont see microsoft doing that, or rockstar or any other company.

TK-8252
03-23-2005, 10:32 PM
they cant, but u can:mad:

whoever laughs at EA is a discrace to video games.

I'm no Mod but your insults aren't welcome here.

i hate it when people criticise companies when they dont even know how it works, or how much effort they put in to try and making great games.:mad:

I hate it when people speak through ignorance as if they know about such things. You, sir, must not have much knowledge of the gaming industry and how EA is abusing it with their monopoly.

If you read and understand the complaint that former-EA employee posted on the internet which was linked to at the Swamp or the Senate (or both?), you'd understand why the way EA runs behind the scenes is unacceptable. How would you like your job to basically be your life, getting up in the morning, going straight to work, and going home right to bed, rinse and repeat, no weekends or anything?? And don't just say "well they should quit if they don't like it," because if you do you apparently have no idea what it's like to get and hold a job. You have to get food on the table and a roof over your head. It's not so easy to do that when you're out of work, and can't just walk into a building and be offered a job. And not to mention that there will always be more people willing to work for EA as long as their empire stands, not knowing what the future holds for them.

they use the real things(nascar,nhl,nba,etc.) for there games, i dont see microsoft doing that, or rockstar or any other company.

So because a company doesn't make games about sports, they aren't as good? WTF? Are you saying that if a company doesn't make their games about sports then they're not as good as EA?
:confused:

MTV2
03-23-2005, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by TK-8252

So because a company doesn't make games about sports, they aren't as good? WTF? Are you saying that if a company doesn't make their games about sports then they're not as good as EA?
:confused:

they use real players, sounds, movements for there sport games and other games

What about ET's insult on EA? Hows that different from my insult? same thing isn't? same insult.

Oh. and BTW, i know the game industry well, very well on EA.

swphreak
03-23-2005, 10:55 PM
ESPN 2k5 was 30 bucks cheaper? 30$? well if u take an extra 5-10 minutes(depending on where u live) u can go to the EA place and get there games there for $19.99cnd brand spanking new.

Um... are you talking about going to an EA building and buying the game in the company store? If so.... not everyone lives next door to EA you know. Yes, 30 bucks goes a long way towards buying more games. It's called competition and EA doesn't seem to like competition.

Again, not comenting on EA employee treatment. If they don't do anything about it for themself, why should I care?

Um... RockStar may not "use real things" but GTA is far superior to any EA released game. Halo doesn't use real things either, but guess what.... apparently it works. EA execs are whining about losing money to the other companies - their competition.

TK-8252
03-23-2005, 11:03 PM
What about ET's insult on EA? Hows that different from my insult? same thing isn't? same insult.

How's it different? Well let's have a look at the Forum Rules and Code of Conduct:

Rules
1. You cannot, in any way, insult (or "flame") someone else on the board. People may not be insulted just because their opinion differs from your own.

Was ET's insulting of EA against someone on this forum? No. Were your insults against people on this forum (ET and anyone who dislikes EA)? Yes. kthxbai!

Your posts have proven otherwise.

TiE23
03-23-2005, 11:43 PM
How's it different? Well let's have a look at the Forum Rules and Code of Conduct:

Was ET's insulting of EA against someone on this forum? No. Were your insults against people on this forum (ET and anyone who dislikes EA)? Yes. kthxbai!

Your posts have proven otherwise. Okay guys, take it from me, cause I know that messing with the rules will get you in bigger trouble than you could think of >_>
So just stop, so we can all laugh at EA's whininess when it looses some money.

M'kay?

TiE

ET Warrior
03-24-2005, 03:48 AM
they can't be going down, i've paid so much money to try and get a scolarship for them and try to work there.

If EA is such a great company, then I must misunderstand your quote, because it seems to me that you're PAYING MONEY, so that they'll give you a scholarship and / or and internship? I know of no other company that would actually charge you money for such things.

Perhaps your money isn't going to EA...but then who is it going to?

And please, I'm a disgrace to video games because I don't like a company who is as devoid of innovation as can be possible, and who seems to do anything and everything they can to make sure that competition (Which, by the way, is what really brings about improvement in any field) doesn't exist?

"What's this? Sega is making games as good as ours? And they're 30 bucks cheaper? And they might outsell us in the next couple years? Well, I don't want to invest the time or money or effort into coming up with ways to actually compete.....lets just put them out of business"

Lets see, I'm not really sure where EA games is located in relation to COLORADO..but I know they aren't IN the state. Ergo, I'm goig to have to drive a MINIMUM of 3 hours in a car, which, at the current cost of gasoline, will cost me around 20 - 30 bucks. Then I have to come back.

Or I could just walk over to Target and buy NHL 2K5 or whatever for 20 bucks......decisions decisions.

Astrotoy7
03-24-2005, 07:56 AM
heh...this is freakin hilarious... compy game geeks arguing over compy game Co.s

*no hot chicks in sight*

:(

mtfbwya

swphreak
03-24-2005, 10:23 AM
Yes Astro. Just like your discussion about ABC-Canon in the Star Wars forum ;)

MTV2
03-24-2005, 11:10 AM
I'm not paying EA to get a scolarship or a portfolio, i go to a place sponsored by them that helps u get a job there.

El Sitherino
03-24-2005, 11:17 AM
I'm not paying EA to get a scolarship or a portfolio, i go to a place sponsored by them that helps u get a job there. Remind me, where's the part where I'm supposed to care?

This thread sucks.

lukeiamyourdad
03-24-2005, 11:17 AM
Ubisoft has a similar thing over here. It's called the Ubisoft Campus.

It's like going to the regular University, but instead of coming out without real experience, they give you the opportunity to work on similar instruments that Ubi uses.
You might even come out with a diploma and a game in your CV.

Prime
03-24-2005, 02:30 PM
whoever laughs at EA is a discrace to video games. Whoever demands obscene overtime without compensation is a discrace to companies.

ESPN 2k5 was 30 bucks cheaper? 30$? well if u take an extra 5-10 minutes(depending on where u live) u can go to the EA place and get there games there for $19.99cnd brand spanking new. The fact remains that upon release ESPN games were often less than half the price of EA games with comparable if not superior quality.

i hate it when people criticise companies when they dont even know how it works, or how much effort they put in to try and making great games.:mad: But that is the whole problem. EA management asks for such extreme effort from its developers that they for the most part have to sacrifice their lives outside of work. And they have also not been compensated for time invested outside of what their contracts and laws dictate.

That is why EA is a poor company. They require such a drastic work scedule to meet their deadlines. A good company develops a schedule and supplies the resources required so that the goals are reasonable. EA's schedule are just poor management.

But it sounds like you are the kind of employee EA is looking for. I assume from what you have said that you are still young and/or in school. Likely you are not married and don't have children. Thus you are more willing to work the 70+ hours a week. Once you have a family you will be much less willing to spend all your time away from them, and so a less attractive employee to EA.

EA is not the only comapny that does this, but it does make them, as far as many employees are concerned, a bad company.

they use the real things(nascar,nhl,nba,etc.) for there games, i dont see microsoft doing that, or rockstar or any other company. You make it sound like EA is the only company that uses motion capture for games, which is flat out wrong.

And even if that was the case, ESPN NBA games, for example, are often considered to be better visually...

Oh. and BTW, i know the game industry well, very well on EA. From what you have stated, it doesn't sound like you really do.

ET Warrior
03-24-2005, 02:35 PM
I'm not paying EA to get a scolarship or a portfolio, i go to a place sponsored by them that helps u get a job there.

I'm curious, just what exactly they do there.

TiE23
03-24-2005, 05:51 PM
I'm curious, just what exactly they do there. They eat Cheetos and come up with ideas for "Halo Killers" of course! :p

TiE

Hermie
03-24-2005, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by TiE 23
They eat Cheetos and come up with ideas for "Halo Killers" of course! :p

TiE
But they have to do so from 6:30 - 22:00, and has a strick deadline for when the cheetos bag must be empty.

TiE23
03-24-2005, 06:06 PM
Yes, if the bag is left 70% full, they get fired.
50% - 50 Lashes
30% - Pay Deduction
20% - No free bathroom breaks for the rest of the day.
"If left full, the 'criminal' shall be exectuted by a P-08 Luger in the back parking lot, his corpse shall be burned, ashes dumped into the Dennys dumpster across the street, and his records erased."

Moto:
"If you **** up, your existance will be denied."

TiE

Rad Blackrose
03-24-2005, 06:53 PM
If any gaming company has been the victim of my ire for the past few years, it has been EA. Ever since pushing their hand into games such as Earth and Beyond, buying up dev houses with positive outlooks only to reduce them to rubble, and have a very sad QoL record, I have no love for the company that once had the cajones to call themselves one of the best companies to work for.

One of the articles Prime referenced (it was the livejournal one by ea_spouse... EA: The Human Story) was the actual whistleblower that started this whole controversy. It got into clueless business practices not just used by EA, but by many others in the gaming industry. The reason why EA is plastered all over the wall for being the billboard of treating employees like **** is relatively simple:

They output ****ty games just to make their quartly business quota to appease investors.

Also, if you look at the news, more often than nought you see EA pull a move that continues to attempt to create a sole monopoly. For example, their recent acquisition of the NFL license. Lets face it, EA is known for one thing on a major front: sports games. If you can appeal to the jocks, you have great market potential right there. Sega/Take Two was a valid threat to EA, and when Sega and Take Two finally capitalized, EA pulled a heavy-handed manuever instead of attempting to prove that it's game was better overall.

Instead of proving that it is a successful innovator and competitor, EA has taken the easy way out time and time again. This time, Karma's back to make EA her bitch.

(And no, I don't count WoW as a valid scapegoat. -3 for EA)

Others have already said it, I'll reiterate it again:

You wish you did.

Astrotoy7
03-25-2005, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by StarWarsPhreak
Yes Astro. Just like your discussion about ABC-Canon in the Star Wars forum ;)

werdage. hey, I wasnt excluding myself from the geekiness :p Plus the canon thread is a basically a quote from a Lucasfilm representatitive, so watch yaself punk !

mtfbwya

BongoBob
03-25-2005, 03:23 AM

That's because EA has the licsencing rights to all of them for the next 18 billion years. And coincidentally, I'm sure that's one reason for their dip in profits ;)

TiE23
03-25-2005, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by BongoBob
That's because EA has the licsencing rights to all of them for the next 18 billion years. And coincidentally, I'm sure that's one reason for their dip in profits ;) Ohhh... I like what I hear :D

TiE

Tokarev
03-25-2005, 11:30 AM
What's the next thing EA will problably blame too? Empire at War. :D

Apparently, much ex-Westwood staff are leaving EA for other companies and some to Petroglpyh with their fellow comrades. I look forward to seeing what the competition has to offer from them. :)

Vikinor
03-25-2005, 04:05 PM
Dude it's hilarious how all of you argue over this. I just had an arguement with some of my freinds in school that was similar except we were argueing about game consoles.

When did EA abusing its employees go public? I have never heard about it.

Rad Blackrose
03-25-2005, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by VikingLarz
Dude it's hilarious how all of you argue over this. I just had an arguement with some of my freinds in school that was similar except we were argueing about game consoles.

When did EA abusing its employees go public? I have never heard about it.

I think it's hilarious how you didn't even read the entire thread in the first place. I mean after all, we did answer your questions already.

shukrallah
03-25-2005, 11:35 PM
Its a long thread, Rad :)

But I think it went public around November/December 2004. Someone got a job, and was asked if they didn't mind working late. They figured it was just average overtime (you know, an few hours extra here and there)

It wasn't.

The kept adding hours to meet deadlines that they were way ahead of. They started adding days without benifits. Eventually, the whole team was working 12 hours a day, 7 days a week. If they were "good" they got out on Saturday at 6:30. (Good? These are not children...) It totals 84 hours I think, per week.

Some people made a shirt saying: "I worked 90 hours a week for EA, and didn't even get this shirt."

It sucked that bad.

Guys, I wouldn't bash the games. Im sure these programmers/artists are some of the most talented in the gaming-world. When you are litterally pushed so hard that you can't even drive home from work... I wouldn't expect top-notch performance. Twelve hours is a lot... and 7 days a week, being underpaid? You can't expect 10/10 games from them, its unreal.

lukeiamyourdad
05-05-2005, 02:02 PM
I know this is a very old thread, but I thought that making a new one would be pointless.

EA profits drop 91% (http://ps2.boomtown.net/en_uk/articles/art.view.php?id=8081)

ET Warrior
05-05-2005, 02:16 PM
I laughed out loud.

Take that ya cwapfaces!

Prime
05-05-2005, 02:47 PM
The sad thing is that it isn't the executives that will suffer from that, but the developers...

swphreak
05-05-2005, 02:48 PM
Higher licenses costs, lower demand during the anticipation of the next-generation and increased competition have been blamed by EA as the main causes for the disappointing results.

AHAHAHAHAHA

I wonder who they'll assimilate next?

"We are EA. Empty your pockets and surrender yourselves. Resistance is futile."

Dagobahn Eagle
05-05-2005, 03:05 PM
Certain people here have things in similar with the neo-conservative fanatics.

"Stop bashing EA!!!1111" in this thread sounds exactly like the obligatory
"OMG stop bashing bush!!1111" in every single thread bashing Bush:D.

At least do what MTV2 does: Give us a reason why we shouldn't like them.

As for me, I don't even know if I should buy BF 2 or just download it and donate some anonymous cash money to DICE Sweden. DICE earns money, EA doesn't. Sounds good to me.

Maybe it's because last time I checked, ET wasn't forcing people to work 12 hours a day, 7 hours a week, nor was he trying to get his claws on all the money in the gaming industry without any remorse for the people hit by him.

Just a hunch...;)

They have the world's worst logo, too.

StormHammer
05-05-2005, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by Prime
The sad thing is that it isn't the executives that will suffer from that, but the developers...

Sadly, that's the way it always goes. The execs get the big payoffs, while the employees who gave body and soul get the layoffs.

I wouldn't be sorry to see 'EA' as a monopolistic tyrant bite the dust, but I certainly feel for all those who would be put out of work. I have no doubt at all that they'll simply lay off lots of people who were 'assimilated' in the past. Axing staff is the quickest way to cut losses, particularly if you can point the finger at them and say they 'under-performed' regardless of the working conditions.

I guess I wish publishers would just go back to publishing, rather than buying up every developer with an idea that originally sells well before they get their grubby mitts on the franchise.

IN that respect, although I hated the jumping through hoops involved, Valve's Steam might be the right direction for the entire industry, so devs can distribute direct and cut out the money-grabbing middleman. The only problem with that model is the funding requirements for game projects - the money has to come from somewhere.

The Hidden One
05-05-2005, 04:51 PM
:o

Idiots....

KBell
05-05-2005, 05:38 PM
Their profits will definetly raise ten fold after the new Madden is released.

Its always like this, every year, always at this time.

lukeiamyourdad
05-05-2005, 08:49 PM
Uh...no.

Their profits dropped by 91% compared to the ones they made at the same time last year.

EA earned $8 million profit this quarter compared to $90 million in the same period last year.

That's how you compare.

Acrylic
05-05-2005, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by Prime
In the end, if you want superior profits, make superior games.

That quote SOOOOO goes with your Av. :p

And MTV 2, I really didn't have much respect for you in the first place, but your insults, and completely ignorant statements just made me lose every bit of respect towards you.

Tokarev
05-06-2005, 02:50 AM
Good news indeed for EA, but how long will this last...

Originally posted by Dagobahn Eagle As for me, I don't even know if I should buy BF 2 or just download it and donate some anonymous cash money to DICE Sweden. DICE earns money, EA doesn't. Sounds good to me.

I wish DICE would just break ties with EA after BF2... Otherwise, anything with the EA logo I will never buy. :(

Crow_Nest
05-06-2005, 05:06 AM
http://rpg.boomtown.net/en_uk/articles/art.view.php?id=7719

That'll show them.

Ha ha ha? Anyway like the others said, still no reason to laugh at them. Why do you hate them so much?

lukeiamyourdad
05-06-2005, 12:06 PM
It's more a sarcastic laughter then anything else.

And to answer your question, because they're crazy monopolistic freaks, their games are mostly rehashes of old ones, they screwed Battlefield Vietnam, barf out who knows how many expansion for the Sims, etc.

Don't get me wrong, there are advantages to a monopoly. Just not an EA one.

KBell
05-06-2005, 04:22 PM
i cant wait for Madden 2006 :)

TiE23
05-06-2005, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by Acrylic
And MTV 2, I really didn't have much respect for you in the first place, but your insults, and completely ignorant statements just made me lose every bit of respect towards you. Yup. EA.... bluh... please go awayeeeeee.....

TiE

Astrotoy7
05-07-2005, 02:11 AM
I know this is a very old thread, but I thought that making a new one would be pointless.

EA profits drop 91% (http://ps2.boomtown.net/en_uk/articles/art.view.php?id=8081)

Rather than be the downfall of EA forever, that just means they spent much more than they did in the previous financial period, which isnt surprising considering all theyve absorbed...

EA is far from dead...so put your binary watches back on, and crack open another can o' mountain dew geekboys

I have to admit 90% of the gamers i know in Oz(including myself) really dont care about this argument because they hardly pay full price for EA title anyway :D

mtfbwya

ET Warrior
05-07-2005, 03:37 AM
Originally posted by KBell
i cant wait for Madden 2006 :)

Me neither, then you can stop posting that same sentence over and over and over and over. Never saying anything of substance to give us a reason NOT to dislike EA, merely pointing out that you DONT care about the employees they've abused, not only in their own company, but all the other companies whose employees are out of work thanks to their delightful business practices.

Nor do you seem to care about the implications of this all. Video games are being taken out of control of the developers and put into the hands of corporations. And one thing I know about corporations is they don't like innovation. They like safe, well trodden areas where they know they'll get profit. Just turn on your TV if you want an example. how many CSI's and Law and Orders and REALITY SHOWS are there? I shudder to think where the video game industry may be headed.

And to answer your question, because they're crazy monopolistic freaks, their games are mostly rehashes of old ones, they screwed Battlefield Vietnam, barf out who knows how many expansion for the Sims, etc.

Don't forget the employee abuse, and their RAPE AND MURDER of the James Bond license.

Astrotoy7
05-07-2005, 04:17 AM
Ive said it before and I shall say it again

EAs abuse of the bank balances of the middle class around the world should be reported to the UN, and to
www.amnesty.org

seriously, most pplz compys are made in China right. Even if assembled and serviced in your home nation, their components are assembled in China...

China has a list of human rights abuses the size of a tall tree.. remember Tian-Anmen square, and what about Tibet, Taiwan... The cds your "non ea" pc/console games are printed on were made in China etc etc People work there for *peanuts* and get thrown in jail for printing material or making websites that may paint the government in a negative light...

why dont you all bitch about that ? Why dont you all violently object and send your compys back....

Far from defending EA, they are just behaving like a corporation protecting their own interests.... It is just teh same that most corporations dont mind basing tehir manufacturing in china, because its so damn cheap.. It is the result of the supply-demand juggernaut that is capitalism...

Far too much money is involved in the gaming industry nowdays for anyone to give a **** about what is supposedly right/wrong, good quality or not....

I cant wait for next gen FIFA Soccer either :D

mtfbwya

El Sitherino
05-07-2005, 07:52 AM
...Just turn on your TV if you want an example. how many CSI's and Law and Orders and REALITY SHOWS are there?... The only problem with this is that Law and Order doesn't suck.

The cds your "non ea" pc/console games are printed on were made in China etc etc Wrong. Mine, and most others are processed in Korea, Taiwan, and Canada. Yes, Canada.

why dont you all bitch about that ?

How do you know we don't?

I cant wait for next gen FIFA Soccer either :D
FIFA sucks.

Astrotoy7
05-07-2005, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by InsaneSith
... FIFA sucks.....

ah sithy, you me laugh :p

There are two great soccer games in existence, teh FIFA and Pro Evolution series. Whilst I like both, I favour FIFA for many reasons... :D what you say about it doesnt really matter :D

*cant wait to play FIFA on PSP on next holiday !!!*

mtfbwya

swphreak
05-07-2005, 11:36 AM
I think Astro needs to make friends with a steel pipe across the face.

I honestly don't care about the emplyees. If they don't like the way they're being treated, they can do something about it.

KBell
05-07-2005, 11:59 AM
Never saying anything of substance to give us a reason NOT to dislike EA, merely pointing out that you DONT care about the employees they've abused, not only in their own company, but all the other companies whose employees are out of work thanks to their delightful business practices.

Should I be arguing about how the employees are treated? Thats my choice, not yours. So if I choose to state my excitement over the upcoming Madden game, then I sure as hell will :)

Nalukai
05-07-2005, 01:01 PM
Exactly, because a company that abuses its employees, customers, and the gaming industry, is a good company. :roleyess:

with that rational i guess you can also say that Blizzzard and Vevendi Enternainment is a good company also.

[quote by star wars preak]

I honestly don't care about the emplyees. If they don't like the way they're being treated, they can do something about it.

they sure can... look at the entire family of the diablo creators that left with Bill Roper... they created Flagship Studios.

ET Warrior
05-07-2005, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by InsaneSith
The only problem with this is that Law and Order doesn't suck.

Agreed, but they've taken the success of it to make more, simply because they know it's a tried and true model.

China has a list of human rights abuses the size of a tall tree..

Of course they do. Chinese sweatshops, and, additionaly the Maquiladoras in latin America are absolutely terrible places. The workers are physically and sexually abused, they work in unsafe conditions, work 12 hour days 7 days a week with one day a month for vacation, all while earning maybe 22 cents and hour with no overtime pay.

HOWEVER, that is the ONLY choice those people have. There is nowhere else for them to make any money, which is why they're willing to put up with that crap. A boycot of the products produced by sweatshop labor hurts the workers, because the first people to start feeling the loss of profit will be the workers. I honestly don't know what the solution to the problem is, but a boycot is NOT it.

Originally posted by Nalukai
they sure can... look at the entire family of the diablo creators that left with Bill Roper... they created Flagship Studios.

But that's not a really viable solution for all the employees of EA. Firstly, it takes a lot of money to make a company, and a lot MORE money to fund a video game design process. Plus you'd have to get people from all branches of the creation process to join.

Additionally, I'm curious what the employees should do about it Phreak.

And the FIFA's after FIFA world cup have sucked.

swphreak
05-07-2005, 04:16 PM
Additionally, I'm curious what the employees should do about it Phreak.

Well, if EA is breaking labor laws, then the employees should report it and take it to court, ect. Which I believe some employees are actually doing.

There's also strikes...

ET Warrior
05-07-2005, 06:08 PM
the problem with strikes is that there isn't a labor union for programmers, so if they DO strike, they aren't going to be getting paid ANYTHING.

Astrotoy7
05-08-2005, 02:22 AM
...And the FIFA's after FIFA world cup have sucked.

now thats interesting you said that, because FIFA 2003 was essentially the trial for an entirely new system, making the game less arcade like incorporating different elements... FIFA 2002 was in many ways a souped up version of the psOne version,,,, It took me a year to get my head around it but by FIFA 2004 the devs, having listened *very well* to the multitude of players worldwide incorporated some of the much needed tweaks. This was when my fondness for the series was rejunevated of course,and 2005 was even more of an improvement on its predecessor... its funny that the next gen FIFA will probably have to go through the same evolution :)

I find it interesting that there is no union, youd think theyd fall under the same umbrella as any other creative artist....

mtfbwya