PDA

View Full Version : Do you look like your race?

Tyrion
03-22-2005, 07:57 PM
Like, if you're mexican do you look mexican? 'cause see, I'm Mexican however depending on which way you see me I look either French or Jewish.

Even worse, my friends made a joke that I was the only Canadian in my school...however, some people geniunely thought I was French Canadian. Not Spanish or Mexican, but French Canadian.

What about you, does your lineage have some self-image problems too?

Acrylic
03-22-2005, 08:03 PM
I look like my race. Like, I'm Yugoslavian, Greek, German, and Polish. I have the bigger nose thing going on. That's where the Greek thing comes in.

Uhm yeah.

Anyways, I think you should change your location. Nobody's Fault But Mine is a totally different song than Achilles Last Stand. (FINALLY YOU'RE LISTENING TO THEM)

Kurgan
03-22-2005, 08:16 PM
Isn't what any race "looks like" simply a stereotype?

Since there aren't really very many "pure races" anymore (except perhaps some isolated indigenous tribes for example), it's kind of goofy anyway.

For example, a lot of people will see a dark skinned person and say "black" or "African American" even if that person may only have a tiny percentage of African "blood" (ancestry) in them. Then there's people who have African ancestry that are very light skinned and wouldn't be recognized as "black" according to their skin tone. And what about people with Jamiacan ancestry?

"Jewish" is another problem, because due to intermarriage and converts (the line between the religious aspect and the "ethnic" of Judaism is quite blurred) it isn't easy to pin down.

I visited a web site awhile back which was really telling. It was aimed at "Asian" (Oriental) people, and basically gave you a quiz. They showed how Korean, Chinese, and Japanese people tended to think that they could "recognize the differences" between those three groups. So the quiz let you look at pictures of various people's faces who belonged to one of those three groups and guess which one they belonged to. Most people couldn't guess them correctly with any degree of accuracy, including people who belonged to those groups.

It just goes to show that anymore, a lot of these distinctions are artificial and unimportant.

It's like the old saying... everyone is Irish on St. Patrick's Day! A large percentage of Americans claim Irish ancestry, but honestly I wonder how many of them have little or no "Irish blood" in them? It's a point of pride and belonging rather than some actual genetic fact that matters.

People change their names and intermarry so that's not a good indicator of ethnicity, and people wear tinted contacts, go tanning, dye their hair, wear makeup, lose or gain accents based on environment, etc.

Cultures share with each other and change with experiences.

That's not to say that you can't "take pride" in your appearance or heritage or what not, but it goes to show that beauty is often only skin deep.

The way I see it, a person's culture is what they make of it, and their appearance likewise. While it's easy to judge people by their appearance (we do it all the time whether we realize it or not) we should try not to be so caught up in it that we make hasty generalizations based on it.

I've got some German ancestry, and when I let my hair grow too long sometimes I think I look a bit like Hitler (without the little 'stache, which incidentally was quite popular in that time period). That doesn't make me feel like I'm somehow evil, only it helps encourage me to get a haircut now and then. ;)

Hermie
03-22-2005, 08:28 PM
YES!! I AM ZE UBERMENSCHEN!!!11

Tyrion
03-22-2005, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by Acrylic
I look like my race. Like, I'm Yugoslavian, Greek, German, and Polish. I have the bigger nose thing going on. That's where the Greek thing comes in.

Uhm yeah.

Anyways, I think you should change your location. Nobody's Fault But Mine is a totally different song than Achilles Last Stand. (FINALLY YOU'RE LISTENING TO THEM)

Yeah, I know that. Achilles last Stand is my favorite Led Zeppelin song, so I just had to include it in.

@Kurgan: Your response is what I feared when I posted this thread. ;) I didn't intend for this to be a large debate on the logical application of classifying your ancestral blood by your appearance, but instead for purely conversation.

XERXES
03-22-2005, 08:50 PM
Yes I look American.

Kurgan
03-22-2005, 09:01 PM
Nothing personal Tyrion, no offense intended or taken.

Carry on, I was just giving my opinion while contributing.
;)

El Sitherino
03-22-2005, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by Tyrion
I look either French or Jewish.
So that'd be caucasian or.... some other various race?

Me, I'm a mixed heritage child so.... it depends.

PS: Jews aren't a race, they're a religious group.

shukrallah
03-22-2005, 09:50 PM
I am a part of the human race... and you know what? I look like a human.

I'm serious. Really.

IG-64
03-22-2005, 10:17 PM
i'm a mutt. :p

Vikinor
03-22-2005, 11:01 PM
Yea I remember studying about the Holocaust in reading class. And I was saying this thing about how "pure" Germans could have ben Jewish because Judaism is a religion. Then some kid was disagreeing with me saying that Judaism is a race. What an idioit GOSH!

As for me I am half Swedish and 25% Indian.(the India in Asia not Native American) Problem is I don't look Swedish. I look more Indian and people always ask me if I am from Pakistan and I am no where close to as dark as the people in India and Pakistan. I told my mom I looked white and she told me I was white(caucasian) BIG shocker right there.

lukeiamyourdad
03-23-2005, 12:01 AM
Wait...50% Swedish...25% Indian...what about the remaining 25%?

Anyway, it isn't hard to distinguish Vietnamese from Chinese. But then again, they are different enough for us to distinguish both.
Although some still call me chinese...bloody *******s...

El Sitherino
03-23-2005, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by lukeiamyourdad
Anyway, it isn't hard to distinguish Vietnamese from Chinese. But then again, they are different enough for us to distinguish both.
Although some still call me chinese...bloody *******s... People are ignorant, they can't see such physical differences. All asians are Chinese or Japanese, unless it's a war there is no such thing as Vietnamese. :p

Same with the "if you're dark skinned, you're African-American" even if you're of Jamaican ancestry. Or if you're dark skinned, but not black-dark skinned, you're Indian, no such thing as pakistan. ;)

*shrugs* but such distinguishments still only prove to divide us. Things like that should only be given if need to point someone out is there. Scenario:
"I have a friend you might like to meet"
'Oh? Who?'
"That guy over by the bar."
'Which guy?'
"The Vietnamese one."

anyway, I'm rambling now so whatever.

tags
03-23-2005, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by XERXES
Yes I look American.

is that possible?

Prime
03-23-2005, 12:30 AM
I'm from Earth.

Dath Maximus
03-23-2005, 12:38 AM
I got Native American and African American in me, and I look like a scottish guy...which is another ancestory I have in me coincidentally

*glares at Ty*

Acrylic
03-23-2005, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by InsaneSith
People are ignorant, they can't see such physical differences.

Well, I can't tell the difference between a German, an Austrian, and a Belgian, in terms of appearance, nor can I see the differnece between Koreans, Chinese, Japanese, etc...

My two cents.

*shrugs*

XERXES
03-23-2005, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by General Agamemnon
I got Native American and African American in me, and I look like a scottish guy...which is another ancestory I have in me coincidentally

*glares at Ty* How does one look scottish? Do you wear kilts?

Rogue15
03-23-2005, 01:23 AM
I look German....tho i have German and Irish in me. German from my mom's side and Irish from my grandfather (who i will never know) on my dad's side.

Darth Groovy
03-23-2005, 02:46 AM
I look like a zabrak.

LightNinja
03-23-2005, 06:34 AM
I am.

Astrotoy7
03-23-2005, 06:53 AM
yeah, I look Turkish enough. I just need a long moustache, and 7 more wives :D

mtfbwya

RebelScum!
03-23-2005, 08:55 AM
^:p

well...im Like 50% bloody irish!....im as pale as pale can be...dang clouds...i'm sure you know why im so pale right?...and btw like 25% english and the rest is a freaking free for all...oh some german also...and uh forgot..

Alegis
03-23-2005, 11:16 AM
Some claim I look spanish... so guess the answer is no.

Hermie
03-23-2005, 11:34 AM
How does one look scottish? Do you wear kilts?
You look like Bawbag.

LightNinja
03-23-2005, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by Alegis
Some claim I look spanish
im curious, how you look?

Alegis
03-23-2005, 01:23 PM
Just the hair; a bit thick and curly. Oh they try to mock with me but it doesn't last long when blood is spilled... :p

Alright, the blood thing aint true

ET Warrior
03-23-2005, 04:00 PM
I'm your stereotypical white guy. :)

PR-0927
03-23-2005, 04:04 PM
Yes I look American.

Really? That's odd. I'm Indian, and I look American.

PS- DON'T CALL CAUCASIANS AMERICANS.

Caucasians might be the majority of Americans, but they aren't.

I hope you weren't being sarcastic, XERXES, this is gonna make me look like a moron otherwise...

:fett:

McCusto
03-23-2005, 04:14 PM
Michael Jackson doesn't look like his race. . .

But, sure I do. . . I guess. I'm a wookiee acutally.

Vikinor
03-23-2005, 05:08 PM
The other 25% of me is a little German and uh....American. Can someone be American? Sounds a little...weird.

acdcfanbill
03-23-2005, 06:09 PM
Originally posted by Majin Revan
Caucasians might be the majority of Americans, but they aren't. I might be the king of england, but im not... wtf do you mean anyway :s

Acrylic
03-23-2005, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by acdcfanbill
I might be the king of england, but im not... wtf do you mean anyway :s

I think he means that we (we as in White people) may be the majority of Americans, but we're not "true Americans". Or something like that.

I think it was an implied racist statement against white people, but maybe I'm looking too far into it. :p

XERXES
03-23-2005, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by Majin Revan
Really? That's odd. I'm Indian, and I look American.

PS- DON'T CALL CAUCASIANS AMERICANS.

Caucasians might be the majority of Americans, but they aren't.

I hope you weren't being sarcastic, XERXES, this is gonna make me look like a moron otherwise...

:fett: I was being 100% serious. I do look American. Like your typical white boy from America. I drive a chevy, dress in polo most of the time, wear a suit twice a week. :p I am a pure American mutt. I am a mix of Scottish, German, Irish, French Canadian and Cherokee Indian. Pure American Mutt.

acdcfanbill
03-23-2005, 09:08 PM
pfft, true americans drive Fords ;) Anyway i decend from the northmen... well the Danes anyway, and bit of german :) see attached image...

Vikinor
03-23-2005, 09:31 PM
HA! The Danes. Actually I don't think anyone is American. Norwegians are Swedes because in 1905 Norway became independant and Pakistand used to belong to India and Ukraine used to be part of Russia. America is mixed of all different nationalities so I don't think anyone is a pure American. Actually I don't think there actually is a nationality if you go back VERY far down the timeline.

There are white people and black people and oriental people. So what do you call people in India?

TiE23
03-24-2005, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by acdcfanbill
pfft, true americans drive Fords ;) Anyway i decend from the northmen... well the Danes anyway, and bit of german :) [Image]

MMMMMMMMYYYYYYYYYYY EYYYYYYYYYEEEEEEEESSSSS!!!!! THEY BUUUUURRRNNNN!!!!

Lol, JK. Always kinda wondered what you looked like :p

TiE

Rogue Nine
03-24-2005, 12:59 AM
There's ol' Squinty Eyes in all his glory. :D

XERXES
03-24-2005, 01:44 AM
My friend has a Ford. It breaks down every week.

Tyrion
03-24-2005, 01:51 AM
My friend has a Ford. It breaks down every week.

Chevy's are more American in my opinion, if only 'cause it's featured in American Pie.

Even though that song mentioned the Beatles through innuendos, and the Beatles were first and foremost a British band...

Darth Groovy
03-24-2005, 03:49 AM
Originally posted by ET Warrior
I'm your stereotypical white guy. :)
http://www.lucasforums.com/attachment.php?s=&postid=1782975

Uh, yup. ;)

narfblat
03-24-2005, 03:58 AM
I look like this race :p.
http://www.nascar.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/2005/03/13/vegas_cup/start.jpg
Seriously, though, I'm an average-looking caucasian.

Dath Maximus
03-24-2005, 11:35 AM
Niner's an average asian

Hermie
03-24-2005, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by VikingLarz
. Norwegians are Swedes because in 1905 Norway became independant
I am no more swedish than your left sock! Yes Norway became independent in 1905, But that was "bounty", because the Danes (wich Norway was partly under then) sided with Napoleon, and Sweden being on the victorious side, took the country. BUT even before the danes, Norway was wholy independent, with vikings and all (we discovered America first, so blah).

Sivy
03-24-2005, 12:26 PM
so are you going to post a pic Tyrion so we can see for ourselves?

Kurgan
03-24-2005, 03:28 PM
As to the Jewish thing, yes, they were "originally" a race, or at least considered themselves to be one. The term "Semitic" (used today with "Anti-Semitism") refers to the "Semitic Language Group" that they belong to. Both Hebrew and Arabic are Semitic languages. That is why you have words like Shalome, Islam, Salem, etc, that are from similar roots.

Today you might think "wow, a race I think of as skin color, not language!" but consider how many people think "mexican" when you say the word "Hispanic." Even though the term literally only refers to people who's first language is Spanish!

As for them (Jews) being a "race" in the Bible they were told to seperate themselves from other nations and adopt certain laws and customs to distinguish themselves from their neighbors. So over thousands of years this became a point of "national pride" I guess to put it simply.

Judaism, comes from the kingdom of Judah. At a certain point in history the land of Israel was divided into two kingdoms: Israel and Judah. Israel was destroyed by invaders. Judah continued until it too was eventually destroyed. Thus the modern day state of Israel founded in the 20th century was such a big deal to people.

Obviously European Jews can "look" a lot different from middle eastern Jews. Jews in Ethiopia tend to be very dark skinned. If you saw one walking around in America and didn't know him or her you'd say he or she was "black."

Obviously people who converted to Judaism need not be "ethnically Jewish." So what makes a person Jewish? Is it the culture? Today there are what are called "secular Jews" which goes back to the period around the time of WWII, where certain Jews, either because of the Holocaust or other factors "lost their faith." They tend to not really believe in the religion of Judaism, but if you asked if they were Jewish they'd say yes. Sort of like so-called "nominal Christians." It's more a point of cultural identification than a belief system. On the other hand many secular Jews will follow the traditions and practices like celebrating the high holy days with their families, even if they themselves don't follow them. Of course there are many Jews today who celebrate their religion and try to live by its teachings of course, so you get both.

So I guess when a person converts they are sort of "adopted" into the "race" of Judaism.

Then again, the whole idea of Jews being a "race" came around to public thinking in large part because of the Nazis (not saying they invented it of course, but they did more to popularize it in modern times than anyone else it seems).

When they were persecuting Jews in the 20th century they not only went after people practicing the Jewish religion but also what were called "conversos" that is people who were Christians or some other religion who had "Jewish roots." That is their ancestors were Jewish. So if it was just about the religion, why did they go after these people? They weren't practicing Judaism anymore.

Side note: of course their logic was quite flawed (on this as well as other points), because if you go back far enough, one could say that all Christians (Germany being majority Christian) trace their roots back to Jews. Jesus and the first disciples were Jewish, and "Father Abraham" was Jewish. Christianity itself began as a reform movement within Judaism of the first century.

Now I'm not saying that the Nazis have the final word on what races mean or are, but it does raise some questions at least how they are percieved.

In Orthodox Judaism (one of the three branches of the religion, the other two of which are Conservative and Reform) they consider you Jewish if your mother was Jewish, period. I believe that's even the legal definition in the state of Israel (somebody correct me if I'm wrong). You might not even practice the religion or consider yourself to be Jewish, but if your mother was, so are you.

The idea today is catching on that races are really artificially constructed terms or at least irrelevant due to the culturally mixed makeup of most of the world today.

So to me, it's as important as you make it. Again, not to offend anyone, just sharing some information that might be interesting. There've been enough books written about this to fill libraries I'm sure.