PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo Revolution Controller...WTF

Neverhoodian
03-30-2005, 02:10 PM
I was reading an article in my latest issue of Game Informer magazine last night. The article was about information concerning the next generation of consoles for Sony (Playstation 3), Microsoft (Xbox 360 or Xenon), and Nintendo (Nintendo Revolution). Given Nintendo's tight-lipped stance concerning console info, I was eager to learn more about their Revolution. However, I can't say I'm that excited anymore after having read about the latest "innovation" up Nintendo's sleeve. The following excerpt from the magazine helps explain my newfound skepticism, with the main points emphasized in bold for those of you too lazy to read the whole thing:

The most shocking [feature] is that the Revolution uses a touch screen as its controller. There is no analog stick or shoulder buttons. The touch screen on the face of the controller is designed to be fully customizable. So, the developer can configure the buttons any way they see fit, or in other cases not use buttons at all, instead opting for virtual levers or other stylus-related inputs. While an intriguing design idea, it's tough to imagine pressing buttons without the tactile feedback you get from a standard controller.

This also limits a publisher's ability to simply port games created for the other platforms quickly and easily to the Revolution. In fact, our source states that Nintendo is actually requiring developers to take advantage of unique touch screen aspects if it wants to get approval for release.
I am very doubtful that this will go over well. I don't know about you, but I like having solid buttons and analog sticks that give me a tangible, physical indication that I'm manipulating them the way I want them to. With a touch screen, I don't see how gamers can have that same type of indicator that they indeed pressed the right button. Unless you're playing a traditional RPG or a slow-paced Sims type game, Looking down at your controller for even a second or so can often be the difference between a "stage complete" and a "game over."

I am also concerned about the durability of touch screens. Whenever I think of touch screen, I always envision a scenario where a gamer, whipped up into a state of near-hysteria fighting the final boss, jabs his/her finger or stylus so hard into the touch screen that it results in cutting a gash or stabbing a hole in the touch screen or breaking the feedback components.

That said, I'm still trying to keep an open mind. After all, Nintendo has many talented people working for it as well as a history of innovations that have encouraged creativity in the rest of the industry. Still, I have my doubts...

Derc
03-30-2005, 02:20 PM
I already knew about its supposed "touch-screen," but...no shoulder buttons...erm...and maybe any buttons at all?

That's gonna be odd...
I support Nintendo, but this may be going too far to be innovative. They first tried to promote "connectivity," (and turned a cold shoulder to online capabilities) and you know what happened there. I guess this could work well inconjuction with the DS(if they connect). Still, I prefer buttons thank you. :o

Pie™
03-30-2005, 02:54 PM
How will people with no hands be able to play this then? :confused: :(

El Sitherino
03-30-2005, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by Derc
They first tried to promote "connectivity," (and turned a cold shoulder to online capabilities) Nintendo invented online capabilities in consoles with the SNES Satellaview.

Anyway, we had issues from the n64 too when they created the joystick and zbutton, had to have games use them. *shrugs*

I'm sure it'll work out.

Rogue15
03-30-2005, 03:14 PM
ah the touchscreen thing is so meh. I'll stick to pc. tho xbox 2 w/halo 3.......

IG-64
03-30-2005, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by Neverhoodian
Unless you're playing a traditional RPG or a slow-paced Sims type game, Looking down at your controller for even a second or so can often be the difference between a "stage complete" and a "game over."

Maybe, but that could also be a good part of the gameplay, instead of having to just memorise the controlls for each game on the same controller, you'll have to memorise whole new controlls for each game, which would make things more skill-based.

Originally posted by Pie™

...Was that a claim they made? If not, how do people with no hands play anything? >_>

But yeah, this does sound iffy, it could go either way. It does help alot to have some solid buttons to lay your fingers over. Another thing about the touch-screen is unless they found a new way to do it, it would have to be fairly flat, and I dont know how you could translate that into a controller you can hold easily.

Another question is that, is this the "revolution"? Doubtfull, this might just be another feature since they released this information so soon.

ET Warrior
03-30-2005, 06:34 PM
I don't know about you, but I like having solid buttons and analog sticks that give me a tangible, physical indication that I'm manipulating them the way I want them to.

Have you ever played a game entirely on a touch screen? You have no basis to claim that solid buttons feel superior to a touchscreen, only an assumption.

I think it could be VERY cool, if incorporated into game properly, it would take away the limitations on games imposed by controllers, games could have as many or as few buttons as needed to make things run perfect.

It all depends on how well it's used, and if enough awesome games use it well.

BongoBob
03-30-2005, 08:47 PM
I didn't know how I'ld feel about the ds's touch screen, but after playing metroid prime and especially warioware touched(which uses only the touch screen), I feel as long as it's icorperated well then it will be all good. But until I see some proof I'm gonna stay a bit skeptical : |

Boba Rhett
03-30-2005, 10:02 PM
But I love buttons. :(

How am I going to angrily press on a screen? How? :o

IG-64
03-30-2005, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by ET Warrior
Have you ever played a game entirely on a touch screen? You have no basis to claim that solid buttons feel superior to a touchscreen, only an assumption.

I can sorta see what he's saying. Being able to feel real buttons underneath your fingers is a nice thing while playing a game, and helps you press the right button as you can feel where they are.

I wonder if anything else will display on the controller's screens besides just buttons? And I wonder if the buttons can change during gameplay? That would be cool for mario party. ^_^

Boba Rhett
03-30-2005, 10:29 PM
Good point. How will you know where to push, especially if each game has different buttons ? :confused:

ET Warrior
03-30-2005, 10:41 PM
My guess is memory, you'll just have to learn where your crap is for which games. I really doubt you use the feel of the buttons to know where your hands should go after you've played a game long enough, it's just habit to reach here or there.

STTCT
03-30-2005, 10:42 PM
I have almost confirmed my registration for E3 - do u think they will show something there?

Sabretooth
03-30-2005, 10:46 PM
May sound all weird and sucky and all, but don't forget: This is Nintendo, pioneers of both handheld and TV consoles.

Acrylic
03-30-2005, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by STTCT
I have almost confirmed my registration for E3 - do u think they will show something there?

Yes.

IG-64
03-30-2005, 11:10 PM

I think they said in an interview that they'd show it alot there.

STTCT
03-31-2005, 01:07 AM
damn - now I'm going to have to bribe someone from work to go with me :( I don't want to go by myself

IG-64
03-31-2005, 01:10 AM
I wanna come. :(

Rogue15
03-31-2005, 01:33 AM
the thing that'll suck is it'll be a pain in the ass to play and eat without getting the touchscreen all greasy.

Hermie
03-31-2005, 01:42 AM
Button mashing will never be the same again...

coupes.
03-31-2005, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by Herminator
Button mashing will never be the same again... That's the point :p

Boba Rhett
03-31-2005, 02:12 AM
See if you can spot any LFers there, Shan. :D

Astrotoy7
03-31-2005, 04:28 AM
LMFAO at Nintendo's stupidity :D

They're stupidity is so reliable, you could set a freakin swiss clock by it.... :D

meanwhile, Sony and Microsoft rub their hands in glee at the crazy $$$ they'll make by capitalising on such a grave error of judgement on the part of nintendo...

mtfbwya

IG-64
03-31-2005, 04:53 AM
Originally posted by Astrotoy7
LMFAO at Nintendo's stupidity :D

They're stupidity is so reliable, you could set a freakin swiss clock by it.... :D

meanwhile, Sony and Microsoft rub their hands in glee at the crazy $$$ they'll make by capitalising on such a grave error of judgement on the part of nintendo...

mtfbwya

prejudice much? :p

Astrotoy7
03-31-2005, 05:30 AM
Originally posted by IG-64
prejudice much? :p

pfft....says the man with the nintendo av/sig :p

i dont get it. Just because I like to make light of Nintendo's dubious approach to the gaming market doesnt mean Im wickedly prejudiced :p

Ive been a nintendo fan for a long time, I even have a couple of my old game n watch handhelds somewhere :) I also have a GC and a GB SP... Prejudiced huh ?

I must admit I am a bit cynical at Microsoft, coz as far as Im concerned, theyve had enough of my money already :p I thank the stars that the cool titles on the XB make it to PC...(namely, KOTOR/2) :p

whether you're a sony fanboy or not, anyone who has read up on the cell processor must admit that the ps3 has the potential to be an awesome system.

mtfbwya

toms
03-31-2005, 10:07 AM
it is as i had feared... they are lost to the dark side... :D

This is typical nintendo. Its also their greatest strength and their greatest weakness at once.

They are willing to make these risky innovations, but they are so hard headed about it that they INSIST on forcing all their developers to work that way, rather than listening to them.

Which is why they have a current controller that is PERFECT for all nintendo and miyamoto games, but not so good for third party games (rubbish d-pad for fighting games, useless Z button).

A touch screen interface will be GREAT for some games (rpgs, tactical games, puzzles, etc..) and i'm sure nintendo and miyamoto have excellent ideas on how to use them in THEIR games.

But i can't see it working in any action/reaction based games. Touchscreens just aren't accurate enough or responsive enough for action games (it'll be like tryin to use windows with one of those useless laptop touchpads). Plus you loose the tactile feedback that comes from FEELING a button press under your finger.

Not to mention that it will make porting games a nightmare, so yet again games will come out on PS3 and XBOX2 and miss out the nintendo platform.

Finally there is the issue of ergonomics... all the recent controllers have been moving more and more towards controllers that really fit in your hands, and have buttons where your fingers go. If all there is is a touchpad then it all ends up flat... and anyone who has ever tried using a keyboard on your lap knows that a flat surface just doesn't work that well without something to rest it on.

We'll all have to have desks and wrist-pads to use our Revolutions. Oh joy.

---------

I can see some great games coming out of nintendo that use the touchpad:
- RTS where you control units from overhead tactical map.
- Metroid Hunters style fps control (though how you will handle firing and jumping is another matter)
- RPGs where you cast spells by writing them into a book by hand, or making symbols on the touchpad.

But if they make it touchpad only they are going to end up with their THIRD console in a row that has a small number of great first party titles, but a total lack of third party games and depth.

PS/ Can a touchpad cope with more than one input at once? Eg aiming, moving, jumping and firing at the same time?

Hermie
03-31-2005, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by toms

But if they make it touchpad only they are going to end up with their THIRD console in a row that has a small number of great first party titles, but a total lack of third party games and depth.
Goldeneye > everything

shukrallah
03-31-2005, 04:14 PM
Goldeneye was developed by Rare.

Besides, uhmmm Nintendo never verified this did they? I thought I read on IGN That they were not going to use touchpads, or something... Their are several rumors about this though...

Also, Nintendo stated they will release a development package for developers so they can port games over really easy.

But I can see myself getting confused, right now I know where all the buttons are on my GCN controller, and I know once I have pushed them, and which one I have pushed. With a touch screen how will I know if I pushed the right one? Will the "touch pads" be side by side, or spread out around the controller?

ET Warrior
03-31-2005, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by lukeskywalker1
Will the "touch pads" be side by side, or spread out around the controller?

The touchpad is the controller....there is only one touchpad...

shukrallah
03-31-2005, 06:22 PM
I knew that.. meh, I missphrased it.

I was thinking... 1 controller with multiple "touchable" areas.. but IDK.

I know Nintendo thinks this will make it easier for people who never play games. I remember reading that people think the current controlers are to complex for people who have never played before.

To be honest if I were Nintendo I would work on getting a lot of the people who do play video games back never mind people who don't play.

Most likley people who don't play, don't play because they don't want to, not because of the complexity of the game/controller. This will change nothing.

http://cube.ign.com/articles/599/599399p1.html

XERXES
03-31-2005, 06:33 PM
20 years from now we can all be like "Man, I remember back in the day when we actually used buttons to play our video games."

Boba Rhett
03-31-2005, 06:43 PM
"You have to use your hands?!"

BTTF2 quote. :D

ET Warrior
03-31-2005, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by Boba Rhett
"You have to use your hands?!"
"This game is for babies"

:D

El Sitherino
03-31-2005, 11:23 PM
I wonder if a zoo will teach their monkeys to play with this like they did the SNES and N64. <_<

Hermie
04-01-2005, 03:11 AM
Goldeneye was developed by Rare
Exactly.

Astrotoy7
04-01-2005, 05:04 AM
Originally posted by InsaneSith
I wonder if a zoo will teach their monkeys to play with this like they did the SNES and N64. <_<

The prosecution rests your honour[/Law & Order dude]

mtfbwya

toms
04-01-2005, 06:42 AM
Originally posted by XERXES
20 years from now we can all be like "Man, I remember back in the day when we actually used buttons to play our video games."

True... but i don't see that being because of touchscreens (or at least not touchscreens alone). eye-toy and other moting sensing technologies are getting better... in twenty years I would think we will have something more three-dimensional than touchscreens...

"This game is for babies"

But nintendo already has a (undeserved?) reputation for making games for babies. :D

Goldeneye was developed by Rare.

That was back when Rare, Factor Five, Silicon Knights etc... where all signed up as "super" nintendo partners who made nintendo exclusive games, worked closely with nintendo on develoment and got advanced hardware. All of them have since broken their ties with nintendo and moved to other platforms... hmmm... maybe they'll get the message eventually.

To be honest if I were Nintendo I would work on getting a lot of the people who do play video games back never mind people who don't play.

Exactly. The number of gamers has gone up dramatically since nintendo was top dog. It has moved from a nich habit to a mainstream one. People of all ages play games. Even pensioners have started playing them. Odd that this massive growth coincided with games getting "more complicated".

I have no problem with making simple "newbie friendly games" (Lumies on the PSP being a great example :D ) but nintendo always insist on focusing on their current "pet ideology" at the expense of all others. Why not make both newbie friendly games AND advanced ones? Why not do GBA connectivity AND online play? Why not have a touch screen AND analogue sticks? Grrr....

I don't like sony, and i'm not keen on microsoft... but in the next generation i'd like the chace to play a few rpgs, a few tactical rpgs (disgea?), and a few more varied games (rez, lumines?)... and nintendo just isn't providing the variation and depth on their platforms at the moment...

TiE23
04-01-2005, 06:57 PM
Hmmm.... Problems:

PS3: MMM, brag much? / To good to be true
Rev: Touch Screen?! omigod!
360: Uhh, give us some info, puleezze??
Apple Console: Won't play games, just look cool. :xp:

TiE

RoxStar
04-01-2005, 07:04 PM
I hear the Revolution controller was going to be gloves. That would be really cool if it was... but thats just me.

Boba Rhett
04-01-2005, 07:07 PM
Tie, there's been more info released about the next xbox than any of the others. :indif:

Astrotoy7
04-01-2005, 07:28 PM
Touchpad screens - I can think of many cons and only a couple of pros..

Pros
-easier to produce ?
-"mappable" making config completely customisable... especially good news for left handed gamrrs ??

cons
-button mashing is part of gaming, whether you are doing something quickly, or repeatedly, this takes the fun out of it IMO
-responsiveness ? I have a pda and a laptop with touchpad, doing certain things on it is a damn pain. It will have to be somwehat ergonomic, because a flat pad will hurt your damn fingers after a while.. The natural anatomical resting position of the hands and fingers is a curved (imagine you are holding a can of coke)

overall, the idea is craptacular, unless they come up with something amazing ??? I doubts it. I wonder if the ps3 is gonna have the backwatd compatible similar controllers. That was a great idea because I busted a controller last week playing a hack n slash game :) Dug out my ole ps1 controller...perfect :)

mtfbwya

Boba Rhett
04-01-2005, 07:32 PM
I don't really know about the easier to produce part. High response touch screens will be kinda pricey, won't they? :confused:

Lynk Former
04-02-2005, 03:05 AM
Where was all this nonsense pulled from? Nintendo has said clearerly that the Revolution controller will NOT feature a touch screen. THe people who are saying that there is a touch screen are the people out on the Internet speculating their asses off.

Astrotoy7
04-03-2005, 01:39 AM
Originally posted by Lynk Former
Where was all this nonsense pulled from? Nintendo has said clearerly that the Revolution controller will NOT feature a touch screen. THe people who are saying that there is a touch screen are the people out on the Internet speculating their asses off.

I can only hope so, it sounded too stupid to be true :p

mtfbwya

Lightsaberboy
04-03-2005, 03:09 AM
I was reading an article in my latest issue of Game Informer magazine last night

was this the April issue, by any chance?

if not, then i dunno then.

toms
04-04-2005, 01:44 PM
With nintendo you never know! Usually I would asume that this was another of those "hypothetical" stories that tend to appear on the web, but nintendo has a history of don't this kind of thing. Sometimes it works, sometime it doesn't.

On a tangent, what WOULD people like to see from a next generation nintendo controler?

I could see somthing like this:

(a) Similar in size/shape to the existing gamecube controller
(b) Wireless
(c) Touchscreen replacing right hand bottom stick (for fps aiming control)
(d) decent d-pad. Maybe a cross between ps2 d-pad and the c-buttons from the n64.
(e) Analogue stick top left.
(f) fact buttons like Gamecube, but with two start/back buttons like xbox
(g) Analogue clickable triggers like gamecube, but with better digital Z-triggers above them.

El Sitherino
04-04-2005, 01:49 PM
Cooling unit. I play for hours sometimes and my hands will eventually get sweaty, I think nintendo should just make a standard controller that eliminates this. None of that secondary purchase crap.

LightNinja
04-04-2005, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by Pie™
Originally posted by IG-64
..Was that a claim they made? If not, how do people with no hands play anything? >_>
:rofl:

Pie™
04-04-2005, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by LightNinja
:rofl: Yeah, that was kinda my joke. :indif:

shukrallah
04-04-2005, 08:27 PM
Thats what I thought, no touch screens. Thats a good thing. Ive heard there may not be controllers. Whatever it is, its supposed to make gaming less complicated (which is good and bad)

Good:

Makes it easier to play.
People who aren't that good can play better.

Bad:

Lack of skill.
Games will be beaten faster than they already are.

I mean, come on, I can go to Walmart, buy a game and beat in a day or two, or even a few hours.

Neverhoodian
04-04-2005, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by Lightsaberboy
was this the April issue, by any chance?
Oh sithspit, I didn't think about that. It wasn't in their "Game Infarcer" April Fool's part though, I swear! :indif:

I know, that's a bad habit. :xp:

*Ba-dum KSHHHHHH!*

El Sitherino
04-04-2005, 09:00 PM
I mean, come on, I can go to Walmart, buy a game and beat in a day or two, or even a few hours. I miss the NES and SNES days. :(

We had actual challenges in games, none of this 10 year olds can beat it. It's a problem on all systems though, not just nintendo. PS2 has a huge lack of quality games. :(

Lynk Former
04-04-2005, 11:19 PM
A few things:

1. Nintendo has announced out of the box Wifi enabled. The controllers will most likely be wireless and will feature lithium ion batteries like the GBASP and NDS. I also see the use of rechargers.

In addition to this I also see the ability of having 16 players using 4 TVs and 1 Revolution to play multiplayer Metroid Prime 3 or multiplayer Smash Bros Revolution. Or using a wireless router and broadband to play against people online.

2. Nintendo has announced backwards compatibility. The controllers won't be so far out that they won't be able to play traditional controlled games. Since it is backwards compatible I see the Revolution controller to be able to handle traditional controlled games.

3. Simplicity. There will just be a START button only, no SELECT or BACK :xp:

shukrallah
04-05-2005, 10:41 PM
Nintendo probably won't go online. They really don't believe in the online market.. or whatever.

El Sitherino
04-05-2005, 11:51 PM
Nintendo probably won't go online. They really don't believe in the online market.. or whatever. Then why'd they do it back in '95?

Boba Rhett
04-05-2005, 11:57 PM
Drugs. Lots of drugs. :)

abespam
04-06-2005, 12:53 AM
fact: revolution will go online..

IGN Revolution FAQ (http://cube.ign.com/articles/522/522559p1.html)

Yes. The Revolution console will feature online play out of the box. Nintendo at the March 15, 2005 Game Developers Conference in San Francisco announced an aggressive new Wi-Fi strategy for both DS and Revolution. Wi-Fi enables wireless, high-speed connections to the Internet using such popular standards as 802.11b and 802.11g. Company executives made strong statements about Nintendo's belief that gamers should be able to wirelessly go online and play against each other.

"We intend to incorporate wireless technology in all we do," Iwata announced at the event. "Therefore, Nintendo Revolution will be Wi-Fi enabled, built into every system."

Few other details regarding Revolution's online functionality are known, but we can infer at least one important bit based on information announced about the nature of wireless play for DS. Nintendo announced that Wi-Fi gaming on DS would be free. In stark contrast to Microsoft's Xbox Live service, the Big N will not charge any fee for gamers to go online through its infrastructure. The same could be true for Revolution's wireless play.

fact: it will also be backwards compatible

rumour: the controller is rumoured to have gyroscopic technology.. whatever the hell that is. It may also have a hd rather than blue-ray disc.

Lynk Former
04-06-2005, 12:54 AM
Nintendo probably won't go online. They really don't believe in the online market.. or whatever.

Nintendo has already stated that they've almost finished setting up their online network for the Nintendo DS which will also be used for the Revolution. It's free for the Nintendo DS... most likely it will be free for the Revolution as well provided you have a wireless router and broadband.

Boba Rhett
04-06-2005, 12:56 AM
That means you'd tilt the controller around to do stuff. :eek: Cool.

TheOutrider
04-06-2005, 12:57 AM
*Unnecessarily long quote clipped* ~ET Is that the one with Sean Connery on the front?

Lynk Former
04-06-2005, 01:56 AM
Originally posted by TheOutrider
Is that the one with Sean Connery on the front?
Sean Connery is one of the four horseman of the apocalyse...

*pokes Kagura* :p

Astrotoy7
04-06-2005, 05:47 AM
Cooling unit. I play for hours sometimes and my hands will eventually get sweaty...

this is the downside of having hairy palms :p

I dont think a cooling unit in a controller is cost effective :p How about taking break and drying your hands ! :p

I am glad the touchscreen fiasco is over.. Twas indeed a silly idea :D Man, a DS gets a touchscreen and every net speculator starts linking the N5/Rev with a touchscreen :p

mtfbwya

El Sitherino
04-06-2005, 07:28 AM
I dont think a cooling unit in a controller is cost effective :p Considering they have them and sell them for about 20 bucks, I don't think it'd be something out of reach. Basic replacement controller is what, 14 bucks? 6 dollars extra, I see no issue.

toms
04-06-2005, 09:01 AM
intendo have always gone down the low cost route for their controllers before (though that hasn't meant low quality).

AFAIK they were the only manufacturer to not be making huge losses when selling their console. They were apparently still breaking even when selling it at £79, whereas microsoft was loosing £100s per console when selling at £150.

That said, if they DO plan on incorprating lcd touchscreens, wireless, batteries etc into their controllers then they are gonna be pretty expensive already, so cooling wouldn't make much difference.
---
I tried to knock up a photoshop example of a controller with a touchscreen, but i can't get it to look right ergonomically. I hope their designers have better luck. :D

PoM
04-06-2005, 10:12 AM
Show us your failed attempts! :P
And this "gyroscopic technology" sounds odd.

TiE23
04-07-2005, 06:37 PM
LoL
Look at this link for what howstuffworks.com thinks the next Nintendo will look like.

http://stuffo.howstuffworks.com/nintendo-revolution.htm

TiE

shukrallah
04-07-2005, 06:45 PM
It looks cool... but... I know it won't look like that.

ET Warrior
04-07-2005, 06:54 PM
It looks cool... but... I know it won't look like that.

Either you're assuming, or you've actually seen it.

My guess is the former. You don't KNOW it won't look like that.

tags
04-07-2005, 09:20 PM
i think this system is going to be a FLOP

ET Warrior
04-07-2005, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by tags

Any actual reasoning behind that sweeping statement? Or just the typical trendy nintendo bashing?

tags
04-07-2005, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by ET Warrior
Any actual reasoning behind that sweeping statement? Or just the typical trendy nintendo bashing?

simply stating my opinion, i happen to own nothing but nintendo style consoles

El Sitherino
04-07-2005, 11:12 PM
simply stating my opinion, i happen to own nothing but nintendo style consoles Point being? Owning nintendos doesn't excuse you from making retarded statements.

ET Warrior
04-07-2005, 11:42 PM
Espeically since, unless you have relatives working in Nintendo breaking confidentiality agreements, you know what we know about the next nintendo.

Which is, namely, nothing. So how could you possibly make any kind of informed guess about it's success or lack thereof?

Lynk Former
04-08-2005, 03:39 AM
*looks @ your av*

You better hope not cause Sonic sells better on a Nintendo system.

LoL
Look at this link for what howstuffworks.com thinks the next Nintendo will look like.

http://stuffo.howstuffworks.com/nintendo-revolution.htm
howstuffworks.com is full of Microsoft loving geeks who value PC type games and try to mock Nintendo every chance they get. Go to the PS3 and Xbox2 pages and you'll see them speculating but not making giving people any stupid ideas like they're doing for the Revolution.

shukrallah
04-08-2005, 10:59 PM
Either you're assuming, or you've actually seen it.

My guess is the former. You don't KNOW it won't look like that.

What are the chances that someone could photoshop an image of NRevolution, and be right? (Unless they know, but they said this is what they think)

Lots of people are uncertain about the new system, from my friends to people on this board. I guess its because Nintendo hasn't really offered any info on this system. We know that PlayStation and Xbox are going to be traditional consoles, with high specs. But no one knows anything about Nintendo, except that its supposed to change gaming forever, if it succeeds.

ET Warrior
04-08-2005, 11:01 PM
What are the chances that someone could photoshop an image of NRevolution, and be right?

Probably not good, but that doesn't mean they were absolutely wrong. You don't KNOW they were wrong, you just can make an educated guess that they won't be right.

TiE23
04-09-2005, 01:29 AM
Secret plans 'liberated' from top secret Nintendo building.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v123/Tie23/crashhelmet.jpg
Great for certain people who already have their hands doing other things..... Dirty things :naughty: Like doing dishes or taking out the trash!:^:

(Im not trying to bash, Im sure it will turnout to be a fine system)

TiE

Lynk Former
04-09-2005, 01:55 AM
Here's what we know about the Revolution

Backward compatible, able to play GameCube games
WiFi enabled out of the box
May use same WiFi network as the NintendoDS
Will have a feature or features that will come standard which will be fundamentally different from anything we've seen before
Will NOT feature touch screens
Will be around the same power as the PS3 and Xbox 2. If you're all gonna bitch if that it's not going to be the most powerful system, remember that the PS2 isn't as powerful as the GameCuibe and definately not as powerful as the Xbox.
Due to the fact that it can play GameCube games, don't think it's going to abandon traditional gaming.

Astrotoy7
04-09-2005, 02:15 AM

Will be around the same power as the PS3 and Xbox 2. If you're all gonna bitch if that it's not going to be the most powerful system, remember that the PS2 isn't as powerful as the GameCuibe and definately not as powerful as the Xbox.

he he...havin all that power and potentially the smallest catalogue of games makes it like having a ferrari that can only fit 1 midget in it...

lets hope more game devs out of japan have faith/patience in the N-Rev

*sounds trumpet fanfare*
I now declare you the LFNs Official Nintendo Uber Fanboi :p

mtfbwya

Lynk Former
04-09-2005, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by Astrotoy7 he he...havin all that power and potentially the smallest catalogue of games makes it like having a ferrari that can only fit 1 midget in it...
I'm sure Nintendo will be opting for the cheapest yet most effective method to build their next console just as they built the GameCube. Just remember this one fact, in this period of 8 years which company has come last in the console race? Nintendo... and which company has made the most profit in the last 8 years? Nintendo. Ironic huh. They made double the profit of Sony's gaming division yet they're dead last.

lets hope more game devs out of japan have faith/patience in the N-Rev
You know there is one factor that is stopping Nintendo from claiming most 3rd party exclusive titles... it's the fact that Sony pays developers NOT to make games for Nintendo. And they're not hiding that fact either, just in case you want to argue it. The most blunt example so far is Sony paying off Namco for Soul Calibur 3. Funny how that occurs after the GameCube sold twice as many copies of SC2 than the PS2 and Xbox combined. :dozey: :rolleyes:

*sounds trumpet fanfare*
I'm not a fanboy, I'm just here to give people the reliable information cause obviously there are a few people who want to know.

coupes.
04-09-2005, 09:37 AM
*sounds trumpet fanfare*
If ther's a fanboy here I doubt it's Lynk...

edit : I almost forgot... :p

shukrallah
04-09-2005, 02:06 PM
You know there is one factor that is stopping Nintendo from claiming most 3rd party exclusive titles... it's the fact that Sony pays developers NOT to make games for Nintendo. And they're not hiding that fact either, just in case you want to argue it. The most blunt example so far is Sony paying off Namco for Soul Calibur 3. Funny how that occurs after the GameCube sold twice as many copies of SC2 than the PS2 and Xbox combined.

Your joking right? That sucks... so baaaad. I love SC2! I can't believe I won't be getting SC3 now!

The only good things I have seen on PS1(2) are:

Metal Gear Solid
Tekkin
Dino Crisis

Xbox:

Halo
Star Wars

Other than that, Nintendo has everything else I want. MGS TS is on GCN... and I love that game (I just beat it!)... so other than dino crisis and tekken (which is in arcades), I have no reason to get any soney system. Halo and Star Wars games are on PC.. so.. Xbox is also irrelevent. How often do you see Zelda on PC? You don't. Thats why I have a GCN, those classics are only on Nintendo Consoles, no where else.

[quote\he he...havin all that power and potentially the smallest catalogue of games makes it like having a ferrari that can only fit 1 midget in it...
[/quote\

Quality is better than quantity. While GCN only has maybe 400 games (100 coming out this year, I think) Nintendo games are normally really good.

TiE23
04-09-2005, 03:00 PM
I'm not a fanboy, I'm just here to give people the reliable information cause obviously there are a few people who want to know.

Sounds like a fan boy to me, cause people who aren't fanboys wouldn't battle to the 'death' to 'make sure' that people are informed that the console they are talking about could be better on different terms than the opposing consoles.

There.

You're a fanboy of Nintendo in denial. Just because you use your words like a big boy doesn't mean you will always win, m'kay?

TiE

ET Warrior
04-09-2005, 03:09 PM
No, being a fanboy of Nintendo would be involve him making baseless putdowns of OTHER consoles in addition to him pointing out the information about the Revolution

Lynk Former
04-09-2005, 03:26 PM
You want an example of fanboyism? Aright let's see...

NINTENDO 15 teh AWSOME! S0ny SuXX0rZ cause tehy don't have teh Zelda n Teh Metr0id!!!

:dozey:

Now finger pointing aside, I like the Gran Turismo series, I don't play it as much as I'd like to cause I don't have a PS2. There are a lot of anime games on the PS2 I really like too and I've played and enjoyed Halo and Halo 2.

Do I need to go into more depth about my history with other consoles or do people still want to point fingures and pat themselves on the back cause they apparantly spotted another fanboy?

toms
04-11-2005, 12:34 PM
He didn't come across as too fanboyish to me.

I'm interested to hear where it was confirmed that the revolution WON'T have a touchscreen though?
I'm quite happy to believe it won't ONLY have a touchscreen, but i still reckon the touchscreen will be the "unique feature!".

Several other games sold better on the GC than other systems, but the sequel didn't come out on the GC. Not sure why, but Sony and MS paying more (and charging less commission) must be a factor.

Nintendo really needs to create some NEW franchises though, not rely on EVERYTHING being zelda or mario or pokemon.

Making a US friendly design might help them shed their "cute" image (though i thought the GC was the best looking of this generation, but i'm in the minority). Playing DVDs would help too. I don't know many people who actually use their PS2 or XBOX to play dvds as they aren't that great at it and dvd players are so cheap now. But back when people were deciding what to buy the lure of a "free dvd player" was quite powerful.

I still think nintendo needs to set up as an "art house" console. Give good deals to small, innovative developers where they charge them no commission and give them free dev kits for their first game, but get 2 more games as part of the deal. Or something like that.

But basically, nintendo needs to lure some of the big japanese publishers back from sony and some of the big US publishers back from MS.

Lynk Former
04-11-2005, 01:23 PM
He didn't come across as too fanboyish to me.
Everyone accuses me of being the fanboy because I'm the only one with enough guts to speak up in a forum full of PS2, Xbox and PC gaming fans.

Several other games sold better on the GC than other systems, but the sequel didn't come out on the GC. Not sure why, but Sony and MS paying more (and charging less commission) must be a factor.
Actually Nintendo and Namco supposedly have a good relationship and have been working together on many games so Namco is favoured over other developers because of the relationship. Commission wouldn't be a factor, the fact that Namco and Nintendo have this relationship yet the PS3 is getting an exclusive title that was selling so well on a Nintendo console means on one thing. Sony is up to its old tricks again.

And don't think that Sony isn't doing this on purpose. It's general understanding that Sony came into the market to crush Nintendo. It's also general understanding that Microsoft came into the market so they could take a slice of a market they've never gotten their teeth into and to also take a large slice out of Sony.

Nintendo really needs to create some NEW franchises though, not rely on EVERYTHING being zelda or mario or pokemon.
Agreed, and there is a new Nintendo made game called Another Code that's coming out on the Nintendo DS. It may not be a franchise but it's nice to see Nintendo is going with something new.

Making a US friendly design might help them shed their "cute" image (though i though the GC was the best looking of this generation, but i'm in the minority). Playing DVDs would help too. I don't know many people who actually use their PS2 or XBOX to play dvds as they aren't that great at it and dvd players are so cheap now. But back when people were deciding what to buy the lure of a "free dvd player" was quite powerful.
Like I said, Nintendo will always go the cheapest way to make a gaming console, the whole DVD playback thing is doubtful since it costs more money to implement the technology required.

I still think nintendo needs to set up as an "art house" console. Give good deals to small, innovative developers where they charge them no commission and give them free dev kits for their first game, but get 2 more games as part of the deal. Or something like that.
That's a good idea, if not seeming a little desperate. But yeah, they need to pull in developers fast.

But basically, nintendo needs to lure some of the big japanese publishers back from sony and some of the big US publishers back from MS.
How can they? They all sold out to Sony a long time ago in the days of the PS1. Remember, Square used to make games for Nintendo, the Final Fantasy series started on a Nintendo machine but as Sony entered they bought part of Square and Final Fantasy then moved over to Sony. It wasn't until Square and Enix combined was Square able to start making games for other consoles again but ironically Sony still has enough force within Square to stop them from giving away the A grade material. Basically every big developer has told Nintendo to go to hell. But why? If you think about it rationally there really is NO reason not to release a lot of the games that are being released on other console, on the GameCube. I'm serious too, none of this "Nintendo is kiddy" crap. If you really think about it, it doesn't make sense why all those games out there aren't on the GameCube.

shukrallah
04-11-2005, 07:48 PM
Since GCN is considered the little kids console, Devs don't want to take a chance releasing something on it, only to find out that the kids can't handle it, and it doesn't sell.

I blame it all on Windwaker. Why? Because, SpaceWorld 2000 we see and epic realistic fight between Ganondorf and Link, then we get little kid link in a cartoon world, for little kids. The game was good, storyline was descent, but when Halo fanatics saw it had no blood and looked like a Saturday morning cartoon, Nintendo instantly lossed those costumers. Therefore, only kids were left (and a few of us, who actually enjoy the quality of the games)

TiE23
04-11-2005, 09:14 PM
Lynk, I like the GC, I really do. I still want to get it, and its possible cause its so cheap. And they have great games: Sunshine, Zelda, Resident Evil, Animal Crossing, etc. I want to get all of them, but I played Halo one day with my bro at someones house, and almost shat my pants. Getting plowed over by a warthog at Bloodgulch bought me over. GC never really wowed me. And the only 'good games' coming out for it lately are stupid Astroboy and stupid 11 yearold cartoon games from Japan games. No real killing games. No fun! And I did always want to get an extra DVD player.

I hate PS2, cause its old, generic, and every game is the same.

Edit: Costs a lot to have DVD capability? Pfft, they couldn't do it cause they were afraid they would loose a few thousand dollars from people who download games, so they made mini discs and made the mini disc tray, so the freaking disc can't fit.

TiE

Lynk Former
04-11-2005, 10:58 PM
There are adult oriented games that have come out on the GCN and are about to come out, the problem is that most of them are on other consoles as well so they're ignored as anything significant. However there is an exclusive to GameCube game coming out that is adult oriented called Geist (http://cube.ign.com/objects/566/566897.html?ui=gamefinder). Halo and Halo 2 are both great games, they're the GoldenEye and Perfect Dark of this generation and both good reasons to get an Xbox. And yeah, I do agree with the fact that it was a BAAAAAAAAD idea to have Wind Waker celshaded in terms of attracting the generic casual gamer. My personal view on Wind Waker is that the graphics are absolutely brilliant. The celshading effects are done so damn well. But to a casual gamer, it's kiddy and stupid and I'm glad that Nintendo woke up to that fact and is releasing this next Zelda game in all its realistic goodness.

Nintendo are only protecting their investments when they do their anti-piracy moves. Don't blame them for that, cause piracy is a BIG problem no matter how you look at it's why the PS2 is so popular, you can chip it and play nothing but copied games. Also another thing that makes CGN disks unique is the fact that the laser reads from the outside first and then goes inward. There's an interesting fact for ya XD

Nintendo does need to change a lot, and I believe they are. They are also trying to give us things like free online gaming so don't count them out.

ET Warrior
04-11-2005, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by TiE 23
Costs a lot to have DVD capability? Pfft, they couldn't do it cause they were afraid they would loose a few thousand dollars from people who download games, so they made mini discs and made the mini disc tray, so the freaking disc can't fit.

You know nothing of which you speak. Don't try to pretend you understand Nintendos reasoning. even if it were to prevent piracy, your "few thousand dollar" estimate is WELL under the amount of money that piracy can cost a company.

Add in the fact that you have to install the software and hardware to recognize the completely different DVD format, and if you take into account losses from piracy you're talking at least millions of dollars. If you don't know what you're talking about, don't talk about it.

El Sitherino
04-11-2005, 11:13 PM
And the only 'good games' coming out for it lately are stupid Astroboy and stupid 11 yearold cartoon games from Japan games.

Astroboy isn't stupid.

No real killing games. No fun!
So you have to be able to kill people and blow them up to have fun?

I hate PS2, cause its old, generic, and every game is the same.

That could be said for a lot of things, even the PC.

Edit: Costs a lot to have DVD capability? Pfft, they couldn't do it cause they were afraid they would loose a few thousand dollars from people who download games, so they made mini discs and made the mini disc tray, so the freaking disc can't fit.

TiE Like ET said, if you don't know what you speak of, don't speak at all.

toms
04-12-2005, 07:26 AM
With nintendo a lot of it is to do with image not reality.

DVD players in consoles WERE mostly a waste of time... but they gave the IMAGE that those consoles were better value and multi-use items. And for the developers of thos consoles it can't have cost much to implement DVD and CD playback as they used the same size disks anyway.
(and you ca buy complete dvd players for £20 now, so the tech isn't expensive)

Wind walker WAS a great game, the graphics WERE great.... but they contributed to nintendo's already existing image of being "kiddy". The game mioght not have been as good if it had had realistic graphics, but many more people would have bought GCs to play it.

The GC did have a great design, small and stylish.... but again it played to the image of being kiddy. Especially the purple colour of the original units. They should have listened to consumers and released it in black first in the UK/US. (personally, i have a purple one an think it looks MILES better than my xbox, but thats just me)

Nintendo IS making money and selling a lot of some titles (often more than on other platforms)... but they give the impression of being last in the race, loosing money and titles etc...

Until I bought my xbox (mainly as a media centre, not for games) the only console i had was my GC and it was great, there were enough games to keep me happy, etc... But it was frustrating to see many more titles being released on other platforms... especially when games you liked the look of were releasedon every platform EXCEPT the GC.

And because of the low numbers of GC games they didn't drop in value. So 6 months later you could buy old PS2 and xbox titles for £7.99 and the same GC game still cost £29.99.
------------------------------------------
I completely understand the reasons for nintendo going for their proprietory disk format:

-prevent piracy (successful!)
-faster loading times (successful!)

but it also meant:

-higher production costs (so, like carts less developers willing to pay them)
-system couldn't play CDs or DVDs
-less space for music and video (like carts)

And why didn't we get them in cool little cases like in japan to emphasise the unique little tiny disks? Putting them in dvd cases hides half their coolness...

shukrallah
04-12-2005, 05:02 PM
Do you have a pic of the little case?

Toms, you have all good points, except this one:

-less space for music and video (like carts)

High Compression allows you to add huge games to a tiny disk. Also, have you played Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes? Its on two GCN disks... so you can fit a ton of stuff on, and if appropriate switch disks.

But look, when you go from this --- to this:

http://img183.echo.cx/img183/5523/zelda0yk.jpg (http://www.imageshack.us)

Its obvious people won't be happy.

Lynk Former
04-12-2005, 05:19 PM
I like how people are totally forgetting about this:

http://cubemedia.ign.com/cube/image/article/568/568687/the-legend-of-zelda-gcn-20041123071034713.jpg

jokemaster
04-12-2005, 11:29 PM
damn - now I'm going to have to bribe someone from work to go with me :( I don't want to go by myself
BUY ME A TICKET AND POSE AS MY MOM!

But it could go either way, like I said about online, connectivity, the DS, and the analog stick. It all depends on how it'll be implemented by the developers.

toms
04-13-2005, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by jokemaster
BUY ME A TICKET AND POSE AS MY MOM!

Dude! Never tell a chick she's old enough to be your MOTHER!!! :eek:

Originally posted by
lukeskywalker1
Toms, you have all good points, except this one:

:D Aww! Shucks! :D

but...
http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=gamecube+version+compression
reveals:

There's quite a lot of compression artifacting in the GameCube videos. Perhaps this is to be expected given that Midway had to squeeze everything on a single GCN disc, but nevertheless it remains a disappointment.

Gamecube’s music/sound effects suffer a tiny bit from audio compression.

Visually, the GameCube version of Spider-Man falls right between the ...
in comparison to the Xbox and PS2 games, probably due to over-compression.

And i can't remember the specific games, but there have been at least two GC versions of cross platform games that have lost "making of" videos and other things because there wasn't enough space.

Now, i'm not saying decent compression can't overcome many of these problems... but as games and graphics get bigger the small capacity of the nintendo disks is another limiting factor.

It'll be interesting to see how they deal with this in the new system, as it will HAVE TO have much higher capacity disks, but still be backwards compatible and quick loading.

-----
This isn't a very good pic, but its the best i can find of the little japanese cases that compares the size to a dvd-size case.
http://image.lik-sang.com/images/large/gc-pikmin2-fl-jap.jpg

Also note that if you look at the japanese GC range more than half of them (mainly the RPG type games) haven't even been released in the Uk:
http://www.lik-sang.com/list.php?category=79&sort=sales_rank&start=0&

shukrallah
04-13-2005, 10:05 PM
Oh yeah, I had noticed that almost all prerendered cutscenes were kinda low res... even Twin Snakes.

But still, they can put 2 CDs in the cases. No problem.

About the Revolution:

They could just have a slightly bigger version of the GCN disk. After all, you can fit a small disk in a big disk slot, so, it would still be backwords compatible and new games would fit more on them.

Just the backwards laser effect should do a lot to prevent copying. But after saying that, I got to note the Nintendo is one of the most pirated software companies, so I understand why they take more precaution.

Anyone know how much you can fit on a GCN disk?

And Lynk, when they showed Zelda SpaceWorld 2000, and WindWaker, they didn't show any Zelda 05 screens (cause they didn't exist)

Obviously they are making the new one because of the reaction to windwaker. Its what the fans want.

toms
04-14-2005, 10:21 AM
A GCN disk is only 1.5Gb, which is a lot less than the dvd capacities that the PS2 and XBOX use (do they get dual layer disks at 9Gb or just single layer ones at 4.5gb?)

As far as i know no-one has managed to successfully pirate the GCN disks (unlike xbox and ps2)... so that plan has been sucessful. And the loading times ARE much better.... its just a shame they had to sacrifice space.

The main reason nintendo lost out to SOny in the first place was that Miyamoto didn't like the CD format because he didn't like loading times. So they stuck with the cartridges for the N64. Which meant the PS1 games had full motion video, cd quality audio and cost penise to manufacture... and the n64 carts had slideshow cutscenes, midi samples and cost a lot to make.

So even though the loading times were longer consumers and games makers flocked to the PS1 over the n64.

If nintendo had gone with CDs for the n64 then the odds are that sony's PS1 would have failed.

Then they did something similar with their disks for the GCN as well. sigh.

toms
04-14-2005, 11:04 AM
http://img.penny-arcade.com/2005/20050413l.jpg

Occasional internal bombast notwithstanding, I don't know where Nintendo's Revolution fits into this grim Main Event. Because the machine has features which are either unripe or outside the ordinary continuum of expectation, I have no mental scheme which can position it against their competitors. As a result, and you've no doubt seen this as well in other forms of media, a brawl that is between three parties is almost always depicted as one between only two, and Nintendo is marginalized further in this generation.

more: http://www.penny-arcade.com/news.php3?date=2005-04-13#2513

legameboy
04-14-2005, 04:24 PM
Let's hear it for useless competition!

I predict that Nintendo will make a comeback...

TiE23
04-14-2005, 06:58 PM
Astroboy isn't stupid.
My answer: My opinion, and how do you know that "Astroboy isn't stupid" is a fact?

So you have to be able to kill people and blow them up to have fun?
My answer: Yes, but I do also enjoy racing games just as much as FPS.

That could be said for a lot of things, even the PC.
My answer: 1,500 (guessing) games where half of them are pooh. Quantity, does not make up for quality. And I can avoid them, but those stupid 11 yearold kids buying the Ninja Turtles games don't know any better. :p

Like ET said, if you don't know what you speak of, don't speak at all. My answer:
Now all of you are experts? When they sell DVD players for $40? (I have one that was $30 on sale.)

I still want to get a Game Cube for the Zelda games.

More stuff:
Yah, before you start bitchin about how MS makes you get a $30 remote to play DVDs on the Xbox when you can play them on the PS2 out of the box, I have an excuse:

People would just buy the PS2 to play DVDs, not to play or buy games. When no games are bought, they loose tons of money. So MS made sure we had to buy a remote, so they wouldn't loose a ton of money.

TiE

El Sitherino
04-14-2005, 07:14 PM
Remind me how 5 years ago they had dvd's for $40 dollars?

Also remind me how a cheaply made dvd player is something a company will want to put in their systems?

Also, no, there are very few pooh games. Ask mike, I've heard him bitch about it.

legameboy
04-14-2005, 07:39 PM
Also, no, there are very few pooh games. Ask mike, I've heard him bitch about it.

I think he meant "poo" as in bowel movement excrements. :xp:

Lynk Former
04-14-2005, 08:18 PM
And Lynk, when they showed Zelda SpaceWorld 2000, and WindWaker, they didn't show any Zelda 05 screens (cause they didn't exist)
However Zelda2005 is a rebirth of what everyone wanted in the first plcae which makes it relevant.

But anywayz...

People really should take a step back and think. Are all of those people out there just saying crap about Nintendo to look cool and have their friends pat them on the back? Seriously, when it comes down to it which company is taking the big risks to change gaming for the better? It's Nintendo, and I admire them for that because they are willing to try different things and not be cheapened by everyone wanting the same kind of games where you just shoot and blow s*** up.

If anyone bothered to play with a DS they'd realise that the touchscreen is actually pretty damn fun to play with, and when you watch people who you know would NEVER touch a videogame suddenly play a Nintendo DS you realise that Nintendo has captured the interests of people who AREN'T gamers.

It's not just a case of getting people to push buttons anymore, Nintendo wants to do more with gaming and yet people still critisise them every chance they get cause they're doing something different than the rest who are just sticking to the same old formulas.

Sure Microsoft and Sony entered into this generation and gave us all online gaming... but in the end Nintendo is trying to give us FREE online gaming.

In a time when the others are promising better graphics and more power, Nintendo is promising better gameplay and have said that you really CAN'T improve on the quality of graphics we have these days other than to display them in High Definition which all 3 consoles will be able to do in the next generation.

Also, people critisise Nintendo for their anti-piracy moves. Why? They're just trying to protect their products and the products of those game developers who worked hard to make the damn games.

Now all of you are experts? When they sell DVD players for $40? (I have one that was $30 on sale.)
You're missing the point, it's easier to pirate things if they run by DVD movie standards. Also it's extremely difficult to make an affective DVD player for that cheap and then you'll get the problems a lot of people have with the PS2 which is talked about below...

People would just buy the PS2 to play DVDs, not to play or buy games. When no games are bought, they loose tons of money. So MS made sure we had to buy a remote, so they wouldn't loose a ton of money.
Only problem is that the PS2 has such a crappy DVD player, and that's not me critisising Sony cause I like Nintendo better, it's cause it really does have trouble playing so many DVDs... Madman Entertainment got so many complaints that their DVDs wouldn't run on some guys PS2 that they started testing their disks on a PS2 but even then you can't ensure that it'll work for everyone cause there are different variations of the PS2's DVD drive.

abespam
04-15-2005, 08:08 PM
just when we got past the touch screen fiasco..

Nintendo is looking at including a touch-screen controller in its next console, code-named Revolution, according to a source at Electronic Arts. The prototype joypad has no physical buttons or joysticks but can be programmed to display any configuration of buttons, levers and steering devices

This was from the technology section in a newspaper in Sydney. Though whose's to say the EA source is reliable.

jokemaster
04-16-2005, 12:15 AM
What really pushes my buttons is people saying WW's graphics look like crap. I mean c'mon, they were just different. I don't get it, WW has cel-shading and it looks like crap, Killer 7 has cel-shading and it looks awesome.

Rare makes 'kiddy' games. It crosses over to Microsoft and suddenly everyone says it makes the 'coolest games evah' and that 'Conker Rulez', etc.

People put too much priority on how cool a game is, or how good its graphics are. IMO, the priorities should be these:

1. Gameplay
2. Presentation (Menus, Voice Acting, etc.)
3. Story (if any)
4. Innovation
5. Graphics/Audio

Also, EVERYONE I know who's played Warioware touched agrees that the touchscreen could be the best thing that's happened to gaming since the N64 came out with FOUR controller ports.

Lynk Former
04-16-2005, 03:36 AM
The Wind Waker's graphics were breathtaking. When you were sailing across the great sea and you watched the clouds and saw a storm brewing it looked so damn good. There was so much detail in that game and everything blended in beautifully. I loved the different effects, especially the fire in the game, whenever you had a fire arrow, a torch, or an eruption of lava it produced the best looking firey effects.

Yes it was a shock to see a very animated setting, especially since I am a fan of Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask, both had realistic based graphics while still keeping that "anime" form. When The Wind Waker came I was saddened to see that Nintendo didn't bring back the series the way I liked it, but then again I wasn't against how it looked, just a little surprised.

But now with the new Zelda game things will change. The older tried and true formula is being used on the graphics side. The game looks dark, it looks real worldly and it looks like it's gonna be a hellova lot of fun and I can't wait. But other than the graphics I so hope the create a better fighting system than what was in The Wind Waker. TWW's battle system guided you too much and while it performed some damn cool moves, the best fighting moves in any Zelda game, it still felt like I wasn't in FULL control over Link when he performed those great moves. When I am in a battle against a Stalfos I want to be able to perform complex moves and be able to get a strategic advantage over my opponent(s) if I use certain moves in combos. The Legend of Zelda is an action/adventure based RPG so it should require me to think about my battles as well as any puzzles and so on that I need to unlock or get passed.

coupes.
04-16-2005, 11:39 AM
I know you can whack your opponent with you shield with this one... :D

ET Warrior
04-16-2005, 02:24 PM
People would just buy the PS2 to play DVDs, not to play or buy games. When no games are bought, they loose tons of money.

Yet, it was already pointed out that the PS2 has a crappy DVD player, and won't work often, but even if it DID work all the time, you can get a solid DVD player for like, 80 bucks, which is a lot cheaper than a PS2, and it would come with a remote so you wouldn't have to use the controller to play them....

So WHY would anyone EVER buy a PS2 JUST to play DVD's?

It'd be like buying a high end gaming PC just to check your email on.

PLUS, if they wanted to use a system just for playing DVD's Microsofts method wouldn't stop them, because 30 bucks for the remote is less than 50 bucks for games, and the Xbox has a more reliable DVD player in it. (at least, I've never had ANY problems)

So lets say it costs them 20 bucks to put a DVD player in the gamecube, assuming is used the same disc media. They don't want to charge MORE for these, so they just eat the 20 bucks on every unit sold. As of January of LAST YEAR Nintendo had sold around 7million gamecubes which means an additional loss of 140 million dollars.

jokemaster
04-16-2005, 02:33 PM
I remember the AWESOME smoke coming out of the volcanoe. That was just ****ing awesome, it sent chillls down my spine.

shukrallah
04-16-2005, 05:51 PM
Yeah, Iiked the water and stuff gushing down while you fight ganondorf

Anyways--

coupes., how do you know you can hit people with your sheild?

Lynk Former
04-16-2005, 08:31 PM
There is a moment in the second trailers where it looks like Link does use his shield but it hasn't been confirmed.

I do know that the bomb arrows are back though ^^

coupes.
04-17-2005, 12:22 AM
Yeah, bomb arrows are back :D

And if you look at the trailer, at some point Link hits one of those stalfos with his shield... I'll try to give you the exact time.

edit: check the second trailer at 1:08 ;)

Lynk Former
04-17-2005, 04:43 AM
ah, so he does, right after it fades in.

abespam
04-17-2005, 04:52 AM
horse fighting is gotta be the kewlest thing ive seen so far tho.

So WHY would anyone EVER buy a PS2 JUST to play DVD's?

I think its more like this..
A: Should we buy a gamecube or a ps2
B: ps2 can play dvds
A: fine we'll get the ps2

this has happened to so many of my friends.

Of course i would also think of this additional dialogue
B: ps2 can play dvds
A: but we already have a dvd player
B: but if we ever want to play dvds on the ps2 we can
A:.......

Lynk Former
04-17-2005, 08:39 AM
lol, when the PS2 first came out I had that same conversation with many of my friends.

But we're really getting off topic here so let's get back on.

When it comes down to it, we all know that even Nintendo does come up with an uber groundbreaking idea that lives up to the Revolution title of their next gen console, I can guarantee that people will shrug it off as being some stupid gimmick just because Sony hasn't put it on their console.

Nintendo has always been the one to put something into their console that everyone just ignored...

An example is on the GameCube controller. The L and R buttons are pressure sensetive, but Nintendo did something else to those two buttons. The digital click, press down as far as the button can go then apply a bit more pressure and the analog pressure sensetive button becomes a digital button. 2 buttons in one and it is used VERY well in most games. The ability to use the same button to do 2 different things is extremely useful.

Mike Windu
04-17-2005, 11:20 AM

DAMN STRAIGHT!

jokemaster
04-17-2005, 04:24 PM

An example is on the GameCube controller. The L and R buttons are pressure sensetive, but Nintendo did something else to those two buttons. The digital click, press down as far as the button can go then apply a bit more pressure and the analog pressure sensetive button becomes a digital button. 2 buttons in one and it is used VERY well in most games. The ability to use the same button to do 2 different things is extremely useful.

I know, like Rouge Leader, where if you press them, you go faster/slower, but if you click them, you'll enter turbo or come to an almost complete stop.

shukrallah
04-17-2005, 09:08 PM
I know, like Rouge Leader, where if you press them, you go faster/slower, but if you click them, you'll enter turbo or come to an almost complete stop.

Yeah, I noticed it in the driving levels of my 007 games.

Anyone heard about that thing Soney has patented? Some kind of transmitter that sends signals to your brain that let you smell, taste and feel certain effects of the game... If it is successful they plan to use it to allow blind people to see, and deaf people to hear. Its interesting, I heard about it on TV, but havn't found any online links to it. It looks like Nintendo isn't the only one "revolutionizing" gameplay.

TiE23
04-17-2005, 10:06 PM

1. Gameplay
2. Presentation (Menus, Voice Acting, etc.)
3. Story (if any)
4. Innovation
5. Graphics/Audio

My list:

1. Gameplay/Fun factor
2. Graphics
3. Sound- sound effects, voices, music
4. Story
5. My own sweet/whoa/awesome factor
:p

Innovation? You must never buy sequels :p

TiE

Lynk Former
04-17-2005, 10:08 PM
Anyone heard about that thing Soney has patented? Some kind of transmitter that sends signals to your brain that let you smell, taste and feel certain effects of the game... If it is successful they plan to use it to allow blind people to see, and deaf people to hear. Its interesting, I heard about it on TV, but havn't found any online links to it. It looks like Nintendo isn't the only one "revolutionizing" gameplay.

I'm sure people will LOOOOOOVE having their brains tapped into. If that is true, which I'm sure it's not, it would be so damn dangerous that it would be come illegal or become heavily regulated by some higher power (no, not god, I was talking about a government organisation.) You could effectively brainwash people with that kind of technology if you wanted and it could be done in the most subtle way.

Also, a lot of people have been talking about the Revolution and Gyroscopic technology and what the hell it actually is... well here we go.

http://www.lukeclayton.net/n-revolt_media/gyrationmouse.gif

Here's an example of primitive gyro technology. It uses a "gyration" sensor which senses when the object is moving up, down, left right, tilting, etc.

The Revolution controller may take away the need for a steering wheel of flight stick. Imagine playing Rogue Squadron 4 and being able to turn when you literally tilt your controller left or right, or dive when you pull your controller back... it would open up a lot of new control abilities.

But who's to say that that kind of tech is even part of the Revolution? Or who's to say that it's the ONLY advancement that is part of the Revolution? It could be one of many working together.

Mike Windu
04-17-2005, 10:18 PM
It's true. I saw it on IGN.

Lynk Former
04-17-2005, 10:20 PM
Was this around April 1st? XD

TiE23
04-17-2005, 10:22 PM
You could effectively brainwash people with that kind of technology if you wanted and it could be done in the most subtle way.
Nah, if this was in a harmful way, it would be used as mental torture. Make people believe people are following you everywhere. Play the Worlds Most Annoying Sounds on CD (Volume 17) for days at a time. :p

Another thingay
WW has cel-shading and it looks like crap, Killer 7 has cel-shading and it looks awesome.

http://www.revolution.lv/i/art/4063-killer7_031804_014.jpg
Yah, just looking at that wants me want to get it. I don't care what system that game is on, it still looks ****ed up.

Another thingay
What really pushes my buttons is people saying WW's graphics look like crap. I mean c'mon, they were just different. I don't get it...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v123/Tie23/wtfbbq.jpg
Yay! Different is always better!
Good thing they didn't add something that attached to your ass and played music in game when you farted different smells or it would have been really ****ed up.
:rofl:

I still find Zelda WW awesome, and the graphics aren't bad at all, just not what we expected.

TiE

Mike Windu
04-17-2005, 10:24 PM
You loser.

That Link picture is from Super Smash Brothers Melee, not Spaceworld 2000.

:xp:

TiE23
04-17-2005, 10:38 PM

The Revolution controller may take away the need for a steering wheel of flight stick. Imagine playing Rogue Squadron 4 and being able to turn when you literally tilt your controller left or right, or dive when you pull your controller back... it would open up a lot of new control abilities.

OMFG! I have a controller for my computer that does that exact thing! And it sucks! Here is something ironic: I tryed using it on Rouge Squadron 1, I could never hit anything! I swear to God.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v123/Tie23/vacation.jpg

TiE

Lynk Former
04-17-2005, 10:40 PM
Thank god Nintendo would never implement it if it never worked then ;)

http://forums.e-mpire.com/showpost.php?p=497651&postcount=10

TiE23
04-17-2005, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by Mike Windu
You loser.

That Link picture is from Super Smash Brothers Melee, not Spaceworld 2000.

:xp:
OH! MY! GOD!
YOU'RE RIGHT!

http://www.zelda.com/universe/_img/game/legendzelda/set1/ss3.jpg

Fixed ^_^

Now compare and contrast.

Danke

TiE

shukrallah
04-18-2005, 10:08 PM
Man I never noticed how good that shield looked.

BTW, the whole spaceworld 2000 comparison (for those who didn't get it) was to show what we thought we were getting, back in 2000, and then the windwaker is what we got in '02. Im happy the new zelda looks so good. Imagine playing that on the new revolution (since it is backwards compatible)

Yah, just looking at that wants me want to get it. I don't care what system that game is on, it still looks ****ed up.

When I first saw that, I thought some one had edited a pic with MS Paint (hence the blood... I guess) I havn't payed too much attention to the game, truthfully.

Lynk Former
04-19-2005, 03:33 AM
The 2000 Spaceworld Zelda footage was never meant to be a game at all. All it was was a preview of what the Gamecube was capable of. It was a pretty short clip too that was mixed in with a lot of other game clips which never did become actual games in the sense that they were actually a PART of any of the games mentioned.

jokemaster
04-19-2005, 01:50 PM
^What he said. Which is why from now on all new console showcases have the subtitle: WARNING: THE FOLLOWING ARE NOT REAL GAMES.

Lynk Former
04-19-2005, 11:19 PM
REVOLUTION UPDATE
Wireless Partner Revealed

The Broadcom Corporation on Tuesday announced that it has partnered with Nintendo to "provide wireless technology for Nintendo's next-generation gaming systems." The company will deliver cutting-edge wireless options and connectivity for the Big N's next-generation console, codenamed Revolution.

"Nintendo's next-generation console, codenamed Revolution, will feature an advanced wireless platform that integrates multiple technologies to enable a new and exciting game experience," Broadcom stated in an official release.

"The depth and breadth of Broadcom's wireless expertise will enable Nintendo to deliver the industry's most innovative gaming solutions," said Genyo Takeda, senior managing director, general manager, Integrated Research & Development Division for Nintendo. "By integrating Broadcom wireless solutions into our next-generation systems, we can provide the high performance gaming and connectivity capabilities that will delight users of 'Revolution'."

Broadcom has consistently led the way in providing system-on-chip and software solutions that enable wireless features for notebook computers, phones, routers, printers, audio headphones, keyboard and mouse peripherals, and cellular headsets. The company has made a name for itself by also delivering solutions such as Wi-Fi devices that extend the range of a wireless network, secure and easy setup software, and more.

"Broadcom is pleased to partner with technology leader Nintendo, whose visionary commitment to the user experience has inspired new uses for established wireless technology," said Robert A. Rango, group vice president of Broadcom's Mobile & Wireless Group. "With the broadest portfolio of maximum performance wireless solutions, we can provide all the connectivity pieces and advanced features required for exciting new consumer products."

"The digital home of the future will increasingly include wireless technologies for their ease of use and consumer convenience," said Brian O'Rourke, senior analyst for In-Stat. "Integrated wireless technology from proven vendors like Broadcom will enhance the gaming experience for the vast majority of next-generation gamers, whether competing against someone in the same room or on the other side of the world."

Although the Big N has long resisted online games, saying that a profitable model had not yet showed itself, the publisher has in more recent months embraced the concept. Nintendo's forthcoming Revolution console will feature Wi-Fi wireless play out of the box, according to a recent speech by company president Satoru Iwata. Today's deal with Broadcom is further proof that Nintendo believes Wi-Fi play will be an integral ingredient to its future console.

For some reason I keep thinking of a built in wireless router... it just seems like a Nintendo thing to do lol.

abespam
04-19-2005, 11:52 PM
WiFi was confirmed before but its good to hear that Broadcom is the one doing it.

"Now where did i leave my controller?"

jokemaster
04-19-2005, 11:59 PM

Innovation? You must never buy sequels :p

So......................if I put innovation above graphics for some reason I won't buy sequels?

Please explain the logic? I mean seriously, other than the fact that Innovation is number FOUR on my list, which is second to last, which means that if the GAMEPLAY is enjoyable I'll still buy it?

toms
04-20-2005, 07:50 AM
YOu can do some pretty cool things with wireless, but i hope they use it for more than just DS connectivity.

Even if big N don't want to go down the convergence route and make their new console a "multimedia entertainment centre" like Sony and MS are doing, they could use the wireless connectivity to stream music and video from both other home equipment (much of which is going wireless) and the internet.

The other new consoles are all going to have wireless too though, so it isn't really that big of an announcement.

Lynk Former
04-20-2005, 10:12 AM
YOu can do some pretty cool things with wireless, but i hope they use it for more than just DS connectivity. 16 players, 16 controllers, 4 TVs, 1 console... biggest problem with wireless controllers though is battery. You don't want to have to worry about batteries... but there is a solution, rechargable lithium ion batteries like the ones in the Nintendo DS. And the ability to recharge the controllers through recharge ports. I would estimate the controllers would last about 20-30 hours worth of continuous play if there aren't any screens on the controllers and depending on the use of the force feedback feature...

Even if big N don't want to go down the convergence route and make their new console a "multimedia entertainment centre" like Sony and MS are doing, they could use the wireless connectivity to stream music and video from both other home equipment (much of which is going wireless) and the internet. You probably could be able to, not officially but you know how the folks out there are like, the types who like to make linux run on a toaster and that kinda jazz...

The other new consoles are all going to have wireless too though, so it isn't really that big of an announcement.Yeah but it seems more exciting when Nintendo announces it cause they've stated that they want a completely FREE online network for the Nintendo DS and like I said before in my previous post, I'm leaning towards the hunch that Nintendo may include a builtin wireless router for the Revolution because it just seems like a very Nintendo thing to do.

jokemaster
04-20-2005, 11:07 AM
I like the idea of wireless controllers w/ ports to recharge them on. That would also solve the problem of losing the controllers when you don't use them for a long time.

toms
04-20-2005, 11:50 AM
Yeah, charging docks are a great idea. I have so many rechargable gadgets these days, all with their own adaptor and a cable to plug in, that a corner of my room is just a tangle of plugs and wires... and i can never find and untangle the right wire!

Its so much nicer when something has a dock you can just slot it into to recharge/connect.

Touchscreens WOULD be a big drain on a wireless controller, another reason i'm not convinced.

16 Players.... erm, ok! That is an awesome selling point to 0.1%of the market. To the rest of us it doesn't really matter. I've never even managed to get 3 people playing at once on my GC, let alone 16.

Even Gabe and Tycho had to spend weeks organising to get a full play session for Mario Kart Double Dash, and i think they have more hardcore gaming mates than the rest of us... :D

Lynk Former
04-20-2005, 12:08 PM
Touchscreens WOULD be a big drain on a wireless controller, another reason i'm not convinced.The majority of the power a Nintendo DS uses is processing power and the fact that it's running TWO screens at once. The ironic thing is that it's more efficient than a GBA SP because both handhelds run for the same amount of time while the NDS has literally three times as many features as teh GBA SP. Nintendo has already stated that touchscreens will not be implemented on the Revolution but even if it did include touch screens, I'd say that 10-15 hours worth of continuous play for a wireless controller is still damn good seeing as it is a home console and not a portable device.

16 Players.... erm, ok! That is an awesome selling point to 0.1%of the market. To the rest of us it doesn't really matter. I've never even managed to get 3 people playing at once on my GC, let alone 16. Really? I had a full on Super Smash Bros Melee tournament here plenty of times with my friends and I always have at least 3 other people to play multiplayer games with. 16 players on one console is do-able, especially if all your friends do is bring over a controller from their own systems to use with yours ;)

Obviously not everyone would be able to get 16 people but the ability to be ABLE to cater to those kinds of numbers at any time is the real breakthrough that could be achieved.

But anywayz, I just hope Nintendo is more aggressive this time rather than being so passive and letting Sony step all over them. Other than innovation and giving us services like online play for free, they really need to back it up with more exclusive games on their consoles which don't have a Nintendo mascot in them...

toms
04-20-2005, 12:21 PM
From slahshdot:

The next-generation Nintendo console, codenamed Revolution, may not be shown at this year's E3. Eurogamer reports that the Japanese console maker is going to keep the console under wraps to keep the features of the new system out of the limelight a little while longer. From the article: "Nintendo boss Satoru Iwata is worried about rivals nicking all his best ideas at this early stage. That's how revolutionary the new console is, apparently... and also the exact same line Nintendo used to avoid showing Mario 128 at a previous E3

Not a good sign if you ask me.
Sorry STTCT!

Lynk Former
04-20-2005, 12:47 PM
It seems like a good sign to some, and a bad sign to others. At the moment I have no idea what Nintendo has in the Revolution so my stance is this. They're digging their own graves. Nintendo have always been worried about others "stealing" their ideas, and while they're right to do so since everything that Nintendo has ever created is now a standard in the gaming world, it's not wise NOT to give people something big at a show like E3. About the only things I can think of that are REALLY big for Nintendo at E3 is the new Zelda game, a few GameCube games being released this year, a stack of DS games and DS news... compared to what the other two have, that's not really gonna create much of a reaction othat than people going "wow" at the new Zelda game. Nintendo has to make sure it doesn't get ignored by the media as much as possible and make sure they still have the attentions of all those people they wowed at last years E3.

El Sitherino
04-20-2005, 07:33 PM
16 Players.... erm, ok! That is an awesome selling point to 0.1%of the market. To the rest of us it doesn't really matter. I've never even managed to get 3 people playing at once on my GC, let alone 16. ... You need more friends.

This is coming a long way from back when we'd all bring our N64's and PS1's and extra tv's over to eachothers houses so everyone could play games.

Some day we may have cross console multiplayer.

shukrallah
04-20-2005, 08:11 PM

Some day we may have cross console multiplayer.

Thats what I was thinking about when I was reading the article that lynk posted.

Too bad about the Revolution not being at E3. I was interested to see what was so amazing about it. But the thing is, E3 is the best place to show off something as big as the Revolution...

I doubt Microsoft and Sony are going to jump in and steal Nintendo's ideas and still make a 2005 release of their new consoles. All Nintendo needs is a few good patents, and they will be set.

16 players, 16 controllers, 4 TVs, 1 console...

Shoot yeah... I hate playing MP FFA with just 4 players. Huge maps, and not a lot of players, I want all out frag... like on an online PC game... you know, turn the cornor and theres 5 guys shooting at you. 16 is a good number (might be a little strong for a console though, can it handle drawing the same thing 16 times?) I guess the new ones can... but even when playing 4 player mp, you notice details are left out, that are there with only 2 players... :( For example, in a james bond game I have, the stairs turn into a ramp to decrease the poly count, when you have four players. In Mario Kart, on Rainbow road, with 4 players theres no city underneath the track, but with one player, theres a whole city drawn underneath of it (looks awesome too!)

TiE23
04-20-2005, 08:45 PM
The majority of the power a Nintendo DS uses is processing power and the fact that it's running TWO screens at once. The ironic thing is that it's more efficient than a GBA SP because both handhelds run for the same amount of time while the NDS has literally three times as many features as teh GBA SP. Nintendo has already stated that touchscreens will not be implemented on the Revolution but even if it did include touch screens, I'd say that 10-15 hours worth of continuous play for a wireless controller is still damn good seeing as it is a home console and not a portable device.

So, you don't mind paying an estimated $60 for a wireless/battery operated/touch sensitive with a screen controller? Wow.
Mr. Moneybags? :p

We have to get realistic here people.

TiE

ET Warrior
04-20-2005, 09:45 PM
That is only 30 bucks more than your typical console controller, and making it wireless with a touchscreen and a rechargable battery seems highly worth 30 bucks.

If all of your friends own a controller then there is no reason you'd need more than one or two anyways.

Lynk Former
04-21-2005, 03:46 AM
So, you don't mind paying an estimated $60 for a wireless/battery operated/touch sensitive with a screen controller? Wow.

TiE Nintendo has always been the one to try to offer you the cheapest deal with the best tech. I'd bet that their controllers would only have the tech that it NEEDS, and as I stated before a million times: no touchscreens, and the price would be as much as the competitors controllers. Plus it's not battery operated, it's a rechargable lithium ion battery which is different than a cell battery.

Plus even if Nintendo was selling these controllers less than they SHOULD be selling it, it's safe to assume they're doing it out of good will because they can afford it. Remember, Nintendo is a gaint corporation just like Sony and Microsoft, it's just the fact that their main business is gaming which makes them look small XD

If all of your friends own a controller then there is no reason you'd need more than one or two anyways.lol, exactly. I only have one controller cause I know that whenever my friends come around they bring their controllers to play multiplayer games.

toms
04-21-2005, 07:35 AM
By E3 it will be too late for their competitors to copy many ideas. (Not that i'm convinced they have any).

For the last 3 or 4 years there has been almost NO BUZZ about nintendo, partly because they have wthdrawn from all the big shows like E3. Showing only a little gives the impression that they a re smaller and in third place. It doesn't matter whether it is true, its the impression that matters.

Nintendo really needs to generate some buzz around their upcoming products, and one new zelda game isn't gonna do it. Sure, the zelda game looks nice, but its not gonna blow anyone away when Sony and Nintendo are demoing next gen games like that Madden Screenshot.

----

THere is some cross console multiplayer software out there somewhere, though i cant remember what its called and i don't know how well it works.
I think its a bit like xconnect... it uses your pc to tunnel over the internet and then you connect the consoles through that. Anyone remember what it's called?

jokemaster
04-21-2005, 01:01 PM
IMO, the top 3 mistakes that Nintendo made this generation were these:
1. Too Secretive
2. Should've been more welcoming to third parties
3. shouldn't have ignored online as much as it did.

Lynk Former
04-21-2005, 09:59 PM
1. Agreed. Though they have been in the business the longest and it doesn't take long for the things they've created to become standard in the gaming world. But yeah, too secretive. Of course it does make announcements a lot sweeter when they do come lol.
2. It's not Nintendo that's actively ignoring third party developers. If anything they're trying desperately to attract them. It's the fact that third party developers boycott Nintendo for many reasons, some more sinister than other. For a lot of it, it's because of Sony's dealings. Let's face it, Sony has more reach than Nintendo because they're not afraid to throw money around, Nintendo think of more cost effective ideas. And while this does make Sony get more games, it makes Nintendo the ones to profit the most in the end which is kinda ironic lol. Another factor is that developers don't like the discs the GCN uses. Yes, it does cost a little extra, but when you think about it rationally, that's insurance because who's gonna be copying and illegally distributing a GCN disc? Another thing some developers don't like is how the GCN disc has less space. Now for some third party games I can understand why they wouldn't fit on a GCN disc. But not ALL. There are A LOT of games out there that could easily be played on a GameCube yet AREN'T on a GameCube...
3. Nintendo didn't ignore online, they did have two variations of online adapters and the GCN could've gone online at any second because it was fully capable. The problem is infastructure. You can't just release an addon and a game that has "Online" printed on it and expect it to work. If you're going to make an online network you'd have to organise it and make sure it WORKS. Another thing Nintendo doesn't want to do is make people pay any more to play games online. They announced a long time ago that their online DS network was going to be 100% free. Nintendo has chosen the second generation to implement its online abilities and they're using the final moments of this generation to set it all up.

jokemaster
04-21-2005, 11:00 PM
3. Yeah, they released an adaptor, and they wanted it for free, but the only game that's online so far does require a monthly fee (Phantasy Star Online). I dunno, I do kinda wish I could play Four Sword or Mario Kart or SSBM online...

EDIT: Also: Rouge Leader.

Lynk Former
04-22-2005, 01:17 AM
3. Yeah, they released an adaptor, and they wanted it for free, but the only game that's online so far does require a monthly fee (Phantasy Star Online). I dunno, I do kinda wish I could play Four Sword or Mario Kart or SSBM online...

EDIT: Also: Rouge Leader. Yeah I wish I could play a lot of GCN games online. In fact almost EVERY GCN game deserves to go online, for some reason almost every game on the GameCube seems like it would work really well as an online game.

*ahm* Rogue Leader... "rouge" is a shade of red... but Rebel Strike at least gave us a local multiplayer option.

toms
04-22-2005, 12:30 PM
and even if, like me, you don't even play online that much you still see all the reviews of cross platform games and see that the nintendo one is just like the others, but with bits taken out, and feel shortchanged.

Didn't nintendo have the first console MMO game? Isn't it still their ONLY online game? How did that happen?

2. GCN disks cost more to manufacture. Nintendo's licensing system means they take a bigger cut than other console makers. They are seen as third place and likely to sell less (though this isn't actually true).

Those are the reasons big N has so few developers.
They also don't port many of the Japanese games they DO have to english... and you would think they would want to give the impression of a deeper lineup.

When i went to japan i was expecting the GCN to be a much bigger deal than it is in the UK/US (where it is often relegated to a tiny shelf at the back of the store) as i thought that Nintendo was always popular in Japan. But even there they were dwarfed by the shop space given to PS2 games.

They ruled the handheld market supreme though. But that doesn't sound like it is a sure thing anymore.

Lynk Former
04-22-2005, 12:43 PM
Actually Sony is a real big thing in Japan, you won't find a Japanese household WITHOUT a Sony product. Anything electronic? It's a Sony.

And about the GCN disks costing more, yes it is true, but in the end who's going to try to copy a GCN disk? Believe me many have tried, but it's too costly and painstaking for normal folks to copy GCN disks, that's the beauty of the design. It's virtual piracy proofing for a little extra.

Though in the end how much do GCN games cost compared to PS2 and Xbox games? I really am asking for US prices here on popular games on each console.

toms
04-25-2005, 12:49 PM
Don't know US Prices.
In the Uk GCN disks tend to be around £40, PS2, XBOX arounf £30 and PC around £25.
Though of course it varies based on the title. The real difference is after the inital release. Old PS2 and XBOX games can be picked up dirt cheap... old GCN ones don't drop much in price, at least not for years.

I'm not arguing there aren't benefits to the GCN format. Only that the drawbacks (and reasons for using them) were very similar to the drawbacks for cartridges on the N64. And everyone know that the N64 suffered from not enough games compared to the PSONE... just like the GCN has.

El Sitherino
04-25-2005, 02:37 PM

TiE Says the xbox 360 fanboy. Supposedly xbox 360 uses wireless as well. Does that mean xbox 360 is going to suck, and that microsoft sucks?

toms
05-13-2005, 01:03 PM
Perrin Kaplan, Nintendo's vice president for corporate affairs, said GameCube's successor would be "very, very sleek." She described it as horizontal and no taller than a stack of three DVD cases.

Unlike GameCube, the new system will play DVD's, Ms. Kaplin said, and will feature a wireless controller. It will play GameCube games as well as a new class of high-definition games, with new emphasis on online play.

Hermie
05-13-2005, 01:32 PM
Perrin Kaplan, Nintendo's vice president for corporate affairs, said GameCube's successor would be "very, very sleek." She described it as horizontal and no taller than a stack of three DVD cases.

Unlike GameCube, the new system will play DVD's, Ms. Kaplin said, and will feature a wireless controller. It will play GameCube games as well as a new class of high-definition games, with new emphasis on online play.
So.... they're releasing PS2?

[edit]I was in a hurry, ok?

El Sitherino
05-13-2005, 01:42 PM
So.... they're releasing PS2?
No.

TiE23
05-14-2005, 03:20 AM
So.... they're realising PS2?
Burn..... :p

TiE

Astrotoy7
05-14-2005, 05:30 AM
OK.....riddle me this kiddies... I am old and am at a loss why it would be spectacular to have wireless features in a console... a handheld, I entirely understand.. eg. you take your PSP or PDA(as I have done) to a wifi hotspot when you're in town/overseas and get online... but a console... all that extra expense just to eliminate a few cables hangin around.... bleh

Lynky said something about 16 players and 4 TVs.... c'mon....does that sound like anything either of us can afford to do...or would want to do ??

I find having more than 4 people at my place playing some ps2 sports game hectic.... and face it, if you are into MP asskickery on a grandscale. you usually get your a$$ down to a LAN shindig, not fiddling about on a freakin console...

whether its ps3 xb360 or N-rev, I dont get the big deal of wi-fi for *consoles*, unless you want to bring all your mates within a 50m radius and play next-gen mariokart together... w00t :(

maybe Im missing something ?? :p

mtfbwya

El Sitherino
05-14-2005, 07:37 AM
OK.....riddle me this kiddies... I am old and am at a loss why it would be spectacular to have wireless features in a console.
No tangles, easier to move around, etc.

Lynky said something about 16 players and 4 TVs.... c'mon....does that sound like anything either of us can afford to do...or would want to do ??

Yes. Just have your mates bring over their tv's if you don't have enough.

maybe Im missing something ?? :p
The glory of testosterone filled youth.

jokemaster
05-14-2005, 05:35 PM
^Yeah, the reason I don't have XBOX live is that my TV and my cable box are too far from each other and I can't afford 100 bucks for the router PLUS 70 bucks for the subscription.

jokemaster
05-14-2005, 05:35 PM
^Yeah, the reason I don't have XBOX live is that my TV and my cable box are too far from each other and I can't afford 100 bucks for the router PLUS 70 bucks for the subscription.

Lynk Former
05-14-2005, 11:41 PM
Astro just critisises anything that Nintendo does lol.

Astrotoy7
05-15-2005, 03:48 AM
Astro just critisises anything that Nintendo does lol.

but hey, I still have a GC and a GBA SP...

I would LOVE the Ninboys if they cam eup with something as cool as this :

The Portable Gamecube :D
(concept pic only, of course)

Mike Windu
05-15-2005, 04:11 AM
God, I thought that was the controller for the revolution.

:eek:

toms
05-16-2005, 09:18 AM
wireless is just so much more handy (unless you have put network cables all around yur house) and pretty soon everything will have wireless in it. (especially with those cool wireless USB and CF/SD adaptors).

I've got my XBOX wirelessly connected up to my pc so i can watch videos and listen to music that are on my PC from my living room. Many handhelds, laptops, media centres, pvrs and even dvd players and other gadgets are starting to have wireless built in.

But i suspect the main reason Nintendo (and sony) want to have wireless is to work as a gateway for the portables. SUddenly your DS or PSP becomes a lot more cool if you can use it to control your console or tv or play over the internet just be being at home.

Lynk Former
05-16-2005, 08:14 PM
@ Astro: Good thing Nintendo has more sense than that since the battery would last less than a PSP's battery. GCN games have no load times, or at least most games don't have a visible load time... that means it "thinks" a lot more and that uses a lot of energy ^^ I'm sure it would be pretty cool, but it would be pointless if they damn thing only lasted 10 minutes :dozey:

shukrallah
05-16-2005, 10:48 PM
Ok, so we know how the Xbox 360 and PS3 look, along with their controllers. We know their system specs.

We don't know Nintendo's console. Is it really that special? Sony and Microsoft won't change their consoles now, not after they have shown the whole world their stuff. I think its safe to let us sneak a peek at the Revolution now. And I want its real name, to be honest im getting tired of typing out "the Revolution" or "Nintendo Revolution" and various other forms.

I'm getting excited, with the info released about it so far, but its not enough. Im happy its backwards compatible and is really small, with wireless controllers. This is all good. Smaller=better in my opinion. Why would you want a huge console?

So this Wi-Fi thing, I've heard of it, but I don't know anything about it. Does it require some kind of ISP? I guess if it doesn't it would have a limited range. They say its free, but do you still need to pay for some kind of external service? Any answeres to my questions would be appreciated. Thats my problem with Xbox Live, I don't have BroadBand, I can't afford it, and I can't afford their Live monthly fee either. The problem its almost required for over half of the Xbox games. :-\

---

I've heard rumors that Nintendo will be number 3 again. Too bad. It seems that PS3 has a whole bunch of popular games already being developed for it: Devil May Cry 4 (amazing graphics) Tekken, and Metal Gear Solid 4! Good stuff. And of course the Xbox 360 has Halo 3, which is going to be released the same day as the PS3. Right now, I don't know of any titles Nintendo has in development for the Revolution.

jokemaster
05-16-2005, 11:01 PM
I've heard rumors that Nintendo will be number 3 again. Too bad. It seems that PS3 has a whole bunch of popular games already being developed for it: Devil May Cry 4 (amazing graphics) Tekken, and Metal Gear Solid 4! Good stuff. And of course the Xbox 360 has Halo 3, which is going to be released the same day as the PS3. Right now, I don't know of any titles Nintendo has in development for the Revolution.

Dude there are no such things as rumors that Nintendo will be number 3 again. First, they weren't number 3 this time, at least last time I checked. Second, the consoles aren't even released, how the hell do people know how Nintendo will do? Third, Nintendo consoles pretty much come with built-in franchises.

Mike Windu
05-16-2005, 11:50 PM
:|

Zelda
Metroid
Mario
Star Fox
Fire Emblem

gee gee kthxbai

Hermie
05-17-2005, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by Mike Windu
gee gee
WILL YOU STOP SAYING THAT?!

toms
05-17-2005, 06:20 AM
wi-fi = wireless networking. No you don't need an ISP. It just allows all the electrical stuf in your house to link up without having to spread network cables around everywhere.
Or, if you take your wi-fi laptop (for example) into a bar, or cafe, or on a plane that has wi-fi then you can connect to the internet just by being within range.

If you have nothing to connect it to then it isn't likely to be much use to you, but most electrical things are wi-fi these days (laptops, pcs, routers(for your broadband to connect to your ISP), PSPs, DSs, etc..)

But all the next-gen consoles will have wi-fi (though aparently the xbox 360 will have it as an optional extra) so it won't be a deciding factor.

-----------

The fact N is being so damn secretive about the Revolution has made some people worry they'll repeat the same mistakes as with the n64 and GCN.. but who knows. We need more info.

But, despite impressions, N have made far more money out of the GCN than MS have out of the XBOX... so maybe they know what they are doing after all. Even if they do repeat the same mistakes i can't see them doing to badly, as they'll still have their core games.

I've heard rumours that the 360 is gonna be the new dreamcast, coming out so far before the other two and, likely, being less powerfull. But its all just guesswork at this time.

Isn't there a PS3 announcement today and a Revolution one later in the week?

BongoBob
05-18-2005, 02:06 AM
WILL YOU STOP SAYING THAT?!

I have to agree with just about everyone that gee gee is annoying and stupid as hell.

EDITED for stupid old news.